Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: List of SD card hack, carts, alternative replacements to CD drive.  (Read 201101 times)

Locke141

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 03, 2024, 06:00:00 am
  • Never grow up.
Re: List of SD card hack, carts, alternative replacements to CD drive.
« Reply #480 on: June 19, 2019, 07:49:26 pm »
Got my GDEMU clone installed. Super easy to do and seems to work great. I wonder if I should attempt to update the firmware, I recall the possibility of future firm wares not supporting knock offs. I highly recommend 3D printing this case mounting item.

The only issue so fair is that, I’m feeling guilty for buying a knock off. I have a second model one Dream cast, I’m thinking about trying to ordering a real one and just gifting or trading this one..
« Last Edit: July 04, 2019, 10:30:02 pm by Locke141 »

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 15, 2024, 10:59:21 pm
  • Your Post's Soul is MINE!!! .......Again??
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #481 on: June 19, 2019, 08:15:12 pm »
The uno 2600 is what I think it's called. 

KenToad

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 15, 2024, 02:14:24 pm
  • Flap Flap Flap
« Reply #482 on: June 20, 2019, 01:01:08 am »
I don't get the ODE authenticity comments. Would someone explain it to me? Thanks.

opt2not

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 02, 2024, 07:42:30 pm
« Reply #483 on: June 20, 2019, 04:01:07 am »
I don't get the ODE authenticity comments. Would someone explain it to me? Thanks.
An Optical Drive Emulator mimics the function of the actual disk reader hardware itself and maintains the use of the rest of the console's hardware. In the case of something like the Rhea or GDEmu, it only replaces the drive reader.
But in the MegaSD completely circumvents the full Sega CD hardware, which includes video and audio recreation through FPGA emulation. It's definitely better than software emulation, but it's still emulation at a high level and can have timing inaccuracies.

KenToad

• Offline Offline
  • Flap Flap Flap
« Reply #484 on: June 20, 2019, 08:03:21 am »
Okay, cool. That makes sense. Thanks again!

One more question, what makes this better or worse than the FPGA consoles like Super NT? It seems like the same kind of issues with high level emulation.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2019, 08:14:44 am by KenToad »

Titchgamer

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 17, 2023, 08:05:48 am
  • I have a gaming addiction.....
« Reply #485 on: June 20, 2019, 09:05:55 am »

One more question, what makes this better or worse than the FPGA consoles like Super NT? It seems like the same kind of issues with high level emulation.

It just comes down to the ability to play on OG hardware.
You may not be able to use a original Sega CD with it (Which is why I am waiting for a ODE solution) But you can use an original MD and 32X.

I am rather fond of my Sega Holy Trinity :D

pbj

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 12:01:53 am
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #486 on: June 20, 2019, 10:22:45 am »
I'd be a little more impressed if they built 32X functionality into it.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #487 on: June 20, 2019, 01:39:48 pm »

The analog NT is essentially in the same boat as the mega sd.  If anything the mega sd is potentially more faithful, because it at least uses the real genesis hardware, which the sega cd does actually use to a degree. 

Reverse engineering proprietary chips always has a degree of guesswork involved, and that's why I'm kind of against these devices.  Yes it's more timing accurate than a software emulator, but how the fpga is coded is probably based upon what current software emulators know about the hardware, so they can potentially have similar errors aside from timing related issues.  In other words it's in this weird middle ground between using the actual hardware and using an emulator. 

This is all a personal preference thing.  For some people it's original carts on the original, unmodified hardware... those people should leave this thread now.  ;)  For others modding rgb out or other minor mods that make the consoles more future proof is acceptable.  Then there are people who are ok with flash carts as they are more practical than collecting hundreds of carts even if you potentially might be running the roms on memory chips that aren't %100 authentic... I think most people are at least this flexible.  Some are ok with fpga based clone consoles that blur the line and others just can't be bothered and run the games from their pc.  All are correct and while we've gotten into arguments in this thread before in regards to where the line should be drawn, we try to keep discussing it just so everybody can get some useful info out of it and make an informed decision.

For me it's a formula of functionality vs cost vs the amount of hardware that is emulated, with less being preferable.  The analog NT is a bit pricey considering it's a clone console so that veers me away from it but at the same time these hd-enabled clone consoles, which are decidedly less authentic, might be a better choice because they are getting exceedingly inexpensive.   You've got to figure out what your priorities are.     

Btw pbj, I don't get why it doesn't do 32x either.  I would think that the sega cd would have more hardware to emulate than the 32x. 

KenToad

• Offline Offline
  • Flap Flap Flap
« Reply #488 on: June 20, 2019, 02:08:32 pm »
I've been on the hunt for a local Sega CD for the last couple of years. At least around the Milwaukee area, they are rare and expensive. It doesn't help that the hardware is notoriously poor quality. I almost bought a recapped and professionally serviced Model 2 for $250 at a convention, but I passed because I was still concerned that the thing might end up failing.

I have an X5, so the FM sound for SMS and save states would be an upgrade. My issue is that I hate being an early adopter, especially when it's going to end up being over 300 bucks with a decent SD card.

Still, all my other console hardware is original. What I don't understand is why people who invested in full FPGA clone consoles would balk at the Mega SD not being authentic. I'm not just picking on Opt2not. I've seen that sentiment echoed in other places, often by the same people praising the TurboCD FPGA simulation module (SSD3 ?).

I'm going to watch the retroRGB video because Bob is one of the few sources who won't just put up a video that amounts to an uninformed gush. Game Sack, Digital Foundry, and My Life in Gaming are the others, but I don't think any of those are getting advance copies.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2019, 02:52:34 pm by KenToad »

opt2not

• Offline Offline
« Reply #489 on: June 20, 2019, 03:39:08 pm »
Yeah, for me I like the convenience of the clone hardware consoles for just being able to transport easily and hook them up to modern LCD's. I don't normally play off the clone when I'm home. But sometimes I do when I want to record or stream footage, because the clones have more solid A/V output that doesn't have any funky refresh rates messing with my finicky capture card. Upscalers can make my capture card act all screwy sometimes.

But 90% of the time I play on my original consoles on my CRT.

Still, all my other console hardware is original. What I don't understand is why people who invested in full FPGA clone consoles would balk at the Mega SD not being authentic. I'm not just picking on Opt2not. I've seen that sentiment echoed in other places, often by the same people praising the TurboCD FPGA simulation module (SSD3 ?).
Yeah, I am one of those guys that really likes the SSDS3, especially after upgrading the video and audio output from their initial batches. But I'd prefer a real ODE if it was available. In the case of the MegaSD, there is another Sega CD ODE in development, but if there wasn't I would probably jump on this.

For me it's really about leaning closer to the original hardware side of that weird middle ground between  OG - Emulation, as Howard pointed out.  Sometimes exceptions have to be made.

Btw pbj, I don't get why it doesn't do 32x either.  I would think that the sega cd would have more hardware to emulate than the 32x.
I vaguely recall them mentioning they have a 32x adapter they're going to release later on.  I think it was on their discord channel, but I can't confirm. I'll try to track down the actual statement.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2019, 03:50:22 pm by opt2not »

KenToad

• Offline Offline
  • Flap Flap Flap
« Reply #490 on: June 20, 2019, 05:09:44 pm »
I do like the possibility of going back to CRT hookups for my consoles, even though it'll probably never happen.

I saw the video review of the megaSD from retroRGB. The device looks amazing. Now I just have to come to terms with the price.

Locke141

• Offline Offline
  • Never grow up.
« Reply #491 on: June 20, 2019, 07:15:54 pm »
When I was living in Lao, I had retro pi setup on a CRT in the living room via composite. It took some work to get it setup a way I liked it. Honestly it was really good, not perfect, but a fun way to walk down memory lane on the cheep. For a little more money an old PC can do a lot more. Once you start messing with old hard where you end up spending a lot more for a very similar experience.

I have a large collection of original hardware from my child hood. Much of which was bought second hand before the prices for old hardware started getting crazy. If I was starting today, I would go the emulator root. That said, I’m never selling my collection. I am spending more then I’d like. It may be $2 to a few $100 at a time but it all adds up.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2019, 06:37:23 am by Locke141 »

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #492 on: June 20, 2019, 09:18:57 pm »
I kept all my consoles and games when I was growing up because gamestop never really offered a good value for them imho.  So by the time I was an adult I already had a complete Nintendo console collection.  I started getting non-Nintendo curious about 5 years ago.  The plan initially was to just buy the gamepads for the various consoles, buy/build adapters and then just emulate them on the pc.  The thing is, by the time I got the gamepads and an adapter I could just get the console for around the same price.  Throw a $50 everdrive in there and/or buy some discs to burn and you are in business. 

My point is, it's a slippery slope. 

KenToad

• Offline Offline
  • Flap Flap Flap
« Reply #493 on: June 20, 2019, 11:52:13 pm »
Years of thrifting has been my main source of old consoles, gamepads and games. I passed on some really great games, though, since, like Howard, I had initially planned to get USB controller adapters and just keep them all plugged into a PC, so physical games seemed like basically a hassle, especially since we've moved around a lot and I haven't had a dedicated space for that kind of collection.

Instead, I ended up with a modest console collection, Everdrives, and I just use wireless PS3 controllers connected to the PC when I want to emulate, much easier to manage.

Of course, I've never seen a Sega CD or TG16, outside of specialty shops that charge top dollar, and even rarely in those places. I saw a TG16 core console for over $200 at a local convention. And that was bare bones.

Locke141

• Offline Offline
  • Never grow up.
« Reply #494 on: June 21, 2019, 06:55:55 am »
Wow, just looked on eBay at the TG16 consoles.

KenToad, if I was you, I’d just get a PC engine, they sold better in Japan. You can pick one up on eBay for $50 “buy it now” for just a tested console. For the TG16 pricing you can get Good Work NEC PC Engine Interface Unit CD-ROM2 Console Controller SET Japan

I’m keeping my eye out for a PC Engine Core Grafx Console for a price I can be happy with. They fixed some sound issues in that model that came back in the Core Grafx 2. Core Grafx 2 can also be purchased for $110 with two controllers on eBay at the moment.

In related news, I ordered an PC Engine/TG16 adapter with both AV out and RGBS output for $24. Need to get and everdrive but am going to spread out the perches and they are currently out of stock anyway.

« Last Edit: June 21, 2019, 07:45:28 am by Locke141 »

gamepimp

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 10, 2024, 01:38:47 pm
« Reply #495 on: June 21, 2019, 05:17:13 pm »
I have quite a few original consoles and numerous "clone" consoles as well. All my originals are fully functional and can be played on a moment's notice. However, I like to use the clones as much as possible to save the wear and tear on the originals. I'm not a purist and systems like the Super NT and Mega SG are close enough for my tastes, especially when they're running on a LCD TV. Plus they have some cool bells and whistles that the Super NES and Genesis don't have. I'm eventually going to recap all the old hardware in order to extend the lifespan. I still find it exceptionally cool to fire up a 30+ year old Famicom every once in awhile and play a game on it. I'm hoping I will still be able to do that in another 20 or 30 years.  :)

Locke141

• Offline Offline
  • Never grow up.
« Reply #496 on: July 04, 2019, 10:25:45 pm »
Got my GDEMU clone installed. Super easy to do and seems to work great. I wonder if I should attempt to update the firmware, I recall the possibility of future firm wares not supporting knock offs.

The only issue so fair is that, I’m feeling guilty for buying a knock off. I have a second model one Dream cast, I’m thinking about trying to ordering a real one and just gifting or trading this one.

Any way, I recommend 3D printing this case mounting item.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2019, 11:59:35 am by Locke141 »

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #497 on: July 05, 2019, 02:24:04 am »
Dang I didn't realize they sit that low in the shell.  I might have to mod that a bit.  Looks nice and clean though. 

Titchgamer

• Offline Offline
« Reply #498 on: July 05, 2019, 03:17:39 am »
Got my GDEMU clone installed. Super easy to do and seems to work great. I wonder if I should attempt to update the firmware, I recall the possibility of future firm wares not supporting knock offs.

The only issue so fair is that, I’m feeling guilty for buying a knock off. I have a second model one Dream cast, I’m thinking about trying to ordering a real one and just gifting or trading this one.

I highly recommend 3D printing this case mounting item.

You cant upgrade the FW on the clones.

Locke141

• Offline Offline
  • Never grow up.
« Reply #499 on: July 05, 2019, 06:26:02 am »
Thanks Titchgamer, looks like I’ll definitely be going office at some point, assuming I can get on the order que. I did get a Rhea so should be to much of a problem. I was thinking of selling some duplicate items to help fund other console upgrades, EverDrivers an’t cheep.

Dang I didn't realize they sit that low in the shell.  I might have to mod that a bit.  Looks nice and clean though.

There is a much slicker option, but it's $30. It uses es an SD extension cable.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2019, 11:52:24 am by Locke141 »

Titchgamer

• Offline Offline
« Reply #500 on: July 05, 2019, 06:39:36 am »
Yeah I know he opens Rhea orders again this weekend if anyone needs one.

But yeah I appreciate the ordering process is a PITA but it really aint that difficult to get one if you want one.

Just takes a little patience thats all.

Locke141

• Offline Offline
  • Never grow up.
« Reply #501 on: July 05, 2019, 06:44:17 am »
Yea, I have a second working Saturn that would need a Phoebe. I may consider ordering one to update and sell on eBay or etsy. I is so easy to install his stuff. Unlike my PSIO, I still have to sit down and get that one installed.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2019, 06:47:15 am by Locke141 »

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #502 on: July 05, 2019, 01:48:40 pm »
Thanks Titchgamer, looks like I’ll definitely be going office at some point, assuming I can get on the order que. I did get a Rhea so should be to much of a problem. I was thinking of selling some duplicate items to help fund other console upgrades, EverDrivers an’t cheep.

The actual cable is around 3 bucks... so we just need to create an open source tray.  Actually.... just checked thingiverse….

Here you go:

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3279412

Locke141

• Offline Offline
  • Never grow up.
« Reply #503 on: July 05, 2019, 10:44:47 pm »

The actual cable is around 3 bucks... so we just need to create an open source tray.  Actually.... just checked thingiverse….

Here you go:

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3279412

Sweet, I like the one I have but this looks even better. I'll use that one when I get me real GDEMU. The one above with the clone, is going to some family in AZ for the price of the clone and the 3D printed tray.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2019, 10:53:58 pm by Locke141 »

KenToad

• Offline Offline
  • Flap Flap Flap
« Reply #504 on: July 06, 2019, 01:45:12 pm »
I have basically zero nostalgia for the Dreamcast, but those devices that replace disc drives with flash memory are amazing. Nice work!

The great thing about emulation is the ability to mess around with games on relatively unpopular systems like the Dreamcast, TG16, and of course Sega CD, just to remind myself that I shouldn't spend hundreds of dollars to buy stuff that I would rarely play. Yeah, I fired up about half a dozen Sega CD games (and browsed my curated list) and decided against the MegaSD, at least for now. I will most likely play through Snatcher or Keio Flying Squadron or maybe even Popful Mail eventually, but I've got Sonic Mania and the Steam version of Sonic CD for some reason, though I'm not a huge fan. Otherwise, there just aren't enough great games on the Sega CD to warrant the investment at the moment.

Regarding the TG16/PC Engine, there are a ton of great games, but I like buying locally, so the cost is still prohibitive, due to low availability. I do appreciate the advice and links. It's interesting to see what's out there. So, thanks, Locke141!

I've also been avoiding classic consoles, even at deep discounts, because I know that I would be tempted to invest a decent amount of time modding them. I would have bought the SNES classic, as it was almost perfect out of the box, but the whole scalper thing just killed it for me. I've seen it discounted lately, usually without the packaging, but still not low enough to bite.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2019, 03:42:14 pm by KenToad »

opt2not

• Offline Offline
« Reply #505 on: July 06, 2019, 06:10:42 pm »
The Dreamcast is basically Sega’s arcade hardware, Naomi, but with just less video RAM. A lot of games in the library are pretty much direct ports from the arcade versions, so if you missed out on the 90’s era of arcade games you might not hold that nostalgia. But, there are enough great console exclusive titles that made the DC fans not just made up of arcade heads.

Titchgamer

• Offline Offline
« Reply #506 on: July 06, 2019, 07:14:02 pm »
The Dreamcast is basically Sega’s arcade hardware, Naomi, but with just less video RAM. A lot of games in the library are pretty much direct ports from the arcade versions, so if you missed out on the 90’s era of arcade games you might not hold that nostalgia. But, there are enough great console exclusive titles that made the DC fans not just made up of arcade heads.

Yeah there are some real great DC games.
I never had one back in the day, I went PSX same as most everyone fed up with Segas stupidity.

But in hind sight I wish I had given them one last chance because the DC was really ahead of its time.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #507 on: July 07, 2019, 12:00:14 am »
Which ones?  When my DC was still working I struggled to find fun games that weren't arcade ports.  The only reason I'm hesitating in repairing my DC with one of those units is that I'm afraid I won't get much use out of it.  Well that and my new tv doesn't have a vga port, so I'm going to need an adapter.  I played a lot of cannon spike?!?

KenToad

• Offline Offline
  • Flap Flap Flap
« Reply #508 on: July 07, 2019, 11:23:00 am »
Best games for Dreamcast, at least for me, would be Giga Wing 2 (4 player shmup), Dynamite Cop (arcade port, but original isn't emulated perfectly), the Power Stones (pretty much poor man's Smash Bros., these days), and Chu Chu Rocket (4 player competitive puzzler).

Toy Commander is okay. Soul Calibur is a piece of history (first modern port to have better specs than arcade original). The port of Marvel vs. Capcom 2 is excellent. Ditto Capcom vs. SNK series. Typing of the Dead is a goofy game worth emulating, at least if you don't have the DC keyboard. Bangai-O is unique and a decent upgrade from the N64 version.

Overrated games, for me, would be Crazy Taxi, Jet Grind Radio, Shenmue series (probably need to give it another chance), Sonic 3D games, Daytona and Rally series ... You may like these more than me, though. These games are worth checking out, at least.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #509 on: July 07, 2019, 02:26:07 pm »
Yeah don't take this the wrong way, but that sounds like a whole lot of nothing to me.  Even many of the games you mentioned had arcade ports.  Arcade or gtfo. 

KenToad

• Offline Offline
  • Flap Flap Flap
« Reply #510 on: July 07, 2019, 02:27:29 pm »
Yeah don't take this the wrong way, but that sounds like a whole lot of nothing to me.  Even many of the games you mentioned had arcade ports.  Arcade or gtfo.

The slim selection of games is exactly why I don't own a dreamcast. They are easy to acquire around here.

Maybe someone else can suggest cool Dreamcast exclusives.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2019, 02:53:53 pm by KenToad »

opt2not

• Offline Offline
« Reply #511 on: July 07, 2019, 03:37:13 pm »
I guess google is too much work for people.

Off the top of my head , Resident Evil Code Veronica, Bomberman Online, Sword of Berserk, Skies of Arcadia, Sonic Adventure 1 & 2, Shenmue 1 & 2...

There are more, and some of these games now have PC and other console ports, but at the time of the DC these were a big deal.

KenToad

• Offline Offline
  • Flap Flap Flap
« Reply #512 on: July 07, 2019, 04:49:39 pm »
I guess google is too much work for people.

Off the top of my head , Resident Evil Code Veronica, Bomberman Online, Sword of Berserk, Skies of Arcadia, Sonic Adventure 1 & 2, Shenmue 1 & 2...

There are more, and some of these games now have PC and other console ports, but at the time of the DC these were a big deal.

That's the whole point, though. Almost all of the games on the Dreamcast are basically ports. Many of them have better versions now, such as Soul Calibur and the Sonic Games. Howard and I are trying to find a reason to invest in a dreamcast now, and I don't see much of a reason. The system even had crappy controllers.

I've never played Sword of the Berserk. I've read a bit of the manga. Maybe I'll give the game a try based on your recommendation. Thanks!

opt2not

• Offline Offline
« Reply #513 on: July 07, 2019, 05:05:44 pm »
Soul Calibur on DC is still the best version because of the extra features. The X360 HD version omitted all the extra stuff that made the DC version so awesome and worth it.

I’m just saying if you didn’t play arcades in the 90’s, you most likely didn’t give the DC a second look back then. Should you get it now? Hell no. Leave the DC’s out there to those who can appreciate it and have a nostalgic feel for it.
Personally if there are at least 5 games exclusive to a console, I deem it worthy. This goes the same with modern consoles; I didn’t get a Switch or PS4 till there were at minimum 5 games that interested me.

YMMV

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #514 on: July 07, 2019, 05:44:10 pm »
I agree with that.... I'm just trying to find those 5 games.  There are good games on the system, we just have better ways to play them now.  It's kind of like how the psx classic tanked because you could buy most of those games, often remastered, on the ps store. 

opt2not

• Offline Offline
« Reply #515 on: July 07, 2019, 11:36:02 pm »
If you guys are interested in some homework, there’s a really good Dreamcast documentary on YouTube:

pbj

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 12:01:53 am
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #516 on: July 08, 2019, 01:20:13 am »
It was fun to steal Dreamcast games. Xbox was pretty much Dreamcast 1.5.  I liked it for its time but moved on quickly.

Locke141

• Offline Offline
  • Never grow up.
« Reply #517 on: July 12, 2019, 10:48:33 pm »
Thanks KenToad, this list is very much a community effort, I just maintain the first post and share my progress. 

Any way, I think the Dream Cast (DC) is a fun system, it’s currently very affordable, and can be modded very cheaply with a knockoff GDEMU. I happened to have 3 DC's, non of which I purchased, a few friends and family gave them to me when they upgraded. It's a fun system with a bunch of good titles.

The one I updated above is going back to the original owner. He was so excited when I sent the pics I offered to give it to him for the price of the fake GDEMU and SD cards. I'm going to support the original designer and get a real GDMU, that I'll keep. I found 50ish games I might want to play or at least try. Thats not in the same league as the PS2, but more than I have time to actually play any time soon.

In other news, I got my PS2 set up with Free Mcboot, OPL, and a 2GB HDD. It seem to indeed run better off the hard drive. The only concern is that I only replaced one moving part for another. I think when 2GB SSD are cheep I may clone my drive and try to switch them out.

I picked up that TV off the street and replaced a LED back light. It may be making a trip to my Dads where I have an old bedroom setup with my console collection and get mounted above the CRT for more modern systems, like PS3 and Xbox 360

The best part is the Fat PS2 is completely unmodified. You just need a memory card with some software, a compatible HD, and a PS2 Networking thing.

Next on my list is to install my PSIO.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2019, 07:09:32 am by Locke141 »

KenToad

• Offline Offline
  • Flap Flap Flap
« Reply #518 on: July 13, 2019, 03:10:40 pm »
Nice TV score!

I have a Free McBoot Fat PS2 with hard drive, as well. It's awesome to be able to play backups without having to use the actual discs, especially because my PS2 takes forever to decide if it wants to play a disc. I have a similar setup with a softmodded Wii. The best part about both mods, at least for me, is being able to put the original discs back into storage, since my shelf space is limited.

There are a few PS2 games that don't run well through OPL, such as Disaster Report and Giants: Citizen Kabuto, so I keep physical copies of a few specific games within reach. I've also found that a lot of games need specific settings to be changed in order to run well off the hard drive. The Wii hard drive is almost perfectly compatible with Wii games with no configuration, at least in my experience, but I have had some issues running GameCube games.

What I've been wanting for at least a decade is a good modchip for my old 9000 series gray Playstation (no parallel port for PSIO). I have a swap disc for running imports, but it's kind of a pain, especially for multi disc games. Does anyone have any advice for the best way to mod my old system? I'd love to use a modding service. Does anyone have any recommendations for services or online stores to buy modchips for the original Playstation?

Speaking of PSIO, I saw a video a while back that made it seem expensive and kind of a pain to get set up correctly, both in hardware and software. So I'll look forward to hearing your impressions after you get it working.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2019, 03:12:50 pm by KenToad »

Titchgamer

• Offline Offline
« Reply #519 on: July 13, 2019, 06:13:06 pm »
I have a PSIO installed on my PSX.

I sent the board to a guy I use all the time for this kind of thing and he soldered the little board in for me then I set up the SD card for it.
It set up fairly easily, wasn't a big deal but it did involve a bit of learning and file type juggling in order to get everything working properly.

But now its all good, totally worth while doing!