Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Midnight Resistance for SEGA Genesis  (Read 1389 times)

pbj

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 03:47:56 pm
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
Midnight Resistance for SEGA Genesis
« on: September 12, 2022, 11:33:16 pm »
Another game I only read about in magazines, never once saw for sale, and never encountered the arcade game.  My understanding is that the arcade game uses some weird rotary control.  Plays like ---steaming pile of meadow muffin--- in mame on a normal setup.

So I patched the console rom for better colors, used the game genie for infinite lives, and here we go.

It’s actually kind of close to NES Contra and would have been something I dragged out 30 years ago to defend SEGA honor.  They made some changes to make it work with a three button controller and I think they worked.

Adios, family….

Then you get to choose which ones you want to save in the between level storefront.  It’s kind of dark actually.

So, I of course bought the dude because he seemed like less of a headache.

And we’ll live happily after.

Anyway, this is an interesting one.  Mostly fair but you do get caught in some ---That which is odiferous and causeth plants to grow--- death loops with some of the bosses.  Kind of short, too.

:cheers:

:cheers:

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 02:12:01 pm
  • Designated spam hunter
Re: Midnight Resistance for SEGA Genesis
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2022, 01:32:29 am »
My understanding is that the arcade game uses some weird rotary control.
It uses a Data East mechanical rotary joystick with a "clicky" 12-position rotary switch.
- Electrically, it's the same as the LS-30 (Ikari Warriors) joystick.

If you aren't too deistracted by the janky 3d printed handles :o , you can hear the clicks when he turns the stick. (3:45-4:05)

Plays like ---steaming pile of meadow muffin--- in mame on a normal setup.
The default settings in MAME are messed up.  You need to change them to make the aim work right. i.e. one rotary click (or button press) = one 45 degree turn.

http://wiki.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/Joysticks#MAME_Settings_for_Mechanical_Rotary_Joysticks
For mechanical rotary games:

"Input (this Game)" menu

Positional Analog to none

"Analog Controls" menu

Positional Digital Speed = 0
    Positional Sensitivity = 100

To get around not having a rotary joystick, you can map the buttons like this in the MAME "Input (this Game)" menu:
          1  2  3
          4  5  6
1 - Turn aim CCW 45 degrees (Positional Analog Dec)
2 - Shoot (P1 Button 1)
3 - Turn aim CW 45 degrees  (Positional Analog Inc)
4 - Jump (P1 Button 2)

Scott

bobbyb13

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 12:03:17 am
  • I believe I may need an intervention
Re: Midnight Resistance for SEGA Genesis
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2022, 02:35:29 am »
Hey-sooos...
Like I need another reason for yet more weird control panel work.
Relax, all right? My old man is a television repairman, he's got this ultimate set of tools! I can fix it.