Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: "Avengerless Avenger" - [11/17/15] Finished!  (Read 55945 times)

RxBrad

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 31, 2023, 12:41:00 pm
  • I like burritos.
    • bit.ly/1GDVYUu
    • RxBrad.com
Re: "Avengerless Avenger" - [4/25/15] Sides Cut, Dry Assembled
« Reply #40 on: April 25, 2015, 08:14:14 pm »
Not a ton of opportunity to work on my cab this weekend.  I did manage to get the sides cut out (the bottom-bearing flush trim bit wasn't too hard to use).  Then I clamped the sides to the frame so I could get a rough idea of what I'm working toward.

Now I'm getting to the tedious part where I need to cut openings/insets in front panels to fit screens, speakers, and a USB hub; and then design some kind of cage to keep them all in place.  That might take awhile.

n3wt0n

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 27, 2024, 05:03:38 pm
« Reply #41 on: April 26, 2015, 02:46:29 pm »
This is coming along well. I am looking forward to seeing the end product.

RetroGreg

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 19, 2022, 06:56:33 pm
« Reply #42 on: April 26, 2015, 04:10:34 pm »
Looking good. I really like the shape  :cheers:

RxBrad

• Offline Offline
  • I like burritos.
    • bit.ly/1GDVYUu
    • RxBrad.com
« Reply #43 on: May 01, 2015, 02:46:59 pm »
My order came in from GroovyGameGear today, and everything seems in order. Playing around with the controls, I was slightly surprised that their "Premium Soft Touch" switches (a white switch stamped with a VABSCO brand) seem louder than their standard "Soft Touch" switch (black Zippy branded). The premium might take slightly less pressure to depress, but it's not much. I guess I'll stick with the standards on any future projects and save some money.

I also ordered my IPAC2 and a groundwire harness today (through Focus Attack, which saved me about $20 vs from Ultimarc, between shipping and the cost of the harness)
« Last Edit: May 01, 2015, 02:51:31 pm by RxBrad »

BorgDog

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 22, 2021, 02:22:52 pm
  • Not a hipster for over 50 years!
« Reply #44 on: May 01, 2015, 03:20:23 pm »
That looks a lot like the order I got from GGG yesterday.   :cheers:  I actually upgraded my buttons to the micro-leaf switches and swapped a couple into my Little Bastard last night, and after playing a few games decided I like the feel of them much better that that's all I'm going to do from now on.. unless I do some tru-leaf pros like I did on my pinball cab flipper buttons, but those won't go in all the buttons.
My Projects:
MisSpent Youth a Vigolix bartop,  Little Bastard a rotating tablet/display bartop,
Pin-Dog a mini pin-cab on vpforums.org  Star Wars a wedgehead pincab on vpinball.com

RxBrad

• Offline Offline
  • I like burritos.
    • bit.ly/1GDVYUu
    • RxBrad.com
« Reply #45 on: May 04, 2015, 10:12:34 am »
Between family commitments and yard work, I didn't get a chance to complete any more construction this weekend.   :badmood:

I did, at least, take some time Friday to better configure how I'm going to fit together the monitor / admin panel sections (my original plans had some weird vertically-asymmetric confusion going on around the monitor).  I also made some paper templates that I'll use for guides on the speaker and monitor cutouts.  Occasionally I tell myself that just using bare speakers and an amp would be so much easier than fitting the Logitech X-140's I have in a cab, but then I remember that I want to take advantage of the headphone jack on those Logitechs.

The IPAC2 is supposed to show up today.  Since I'll have everything I need to make a playable control panel, I need to will myself not to assemble all of the controls now.  Otherwise, everything will grind to a halt while I play games on some piecemeal-but-workable CP box.

RxBrad

• Offline Offline
  • I like burritos.
    • bit.ly/1GDVYUu
    • RxBrad.com
« Reply #46 on: May 06, 2015, 07:00:26 pm »
Bucking the trend, and not using Hyperspin. Here's my GameEx theme I put together...

stigzler

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 11, 2022, 03:01:48 pm
  • It seemed like a good idea at the time....
    • Mago Arcade
I have been playing around with the software I'm using, and I've managed to get the secondary display working how I want using GameExtender/GameEx.  I used CPWizard to create a PNG of the controls for each game.  Then I tell GameExtender to look in the folder where I store all of those PNGs, and display the one that corresponds to the game I'm playing.  That 7" monitor is surprisingly good quality

Liking your build + spooky - using GameEx myself and also have a 7" info display in exactly the same position on mine! One thing though - have you cut the monitor bezel yet? If not, really do consider installing two 7"ers instead. Wish I'd done this on mine + with how cheap you can get them (just the driver board and oem screen) drop in the build ocean. Then you can have op cards (special moves etc) on one and game controls on the other.

I've taken a bit of a detour over the past 8 months just to get the second display showing customizable game controls for emus as well as for mame with  CPWizard. Knocked together something to do this:

https://cpwizbiz.codeplex.com/

Just thought I'd share given you've got a similar setup.
(nice GE theme btw ;) )
« Last Edit: May 08, 2015, 03:00:29 pm by stigzler »

RxBrad

• Offline Offline
  • I like burritos.
    • bit.ly/1GDVYUu
    • RxBrad.com

Liking your build + spooky - using GameEx myself and also have a 7" info display in exactly the same position on mine! One thing though - have you cut the monitor bezel yet? If not, really do consider installing two 7"ers instead. Wish I'd done this on mine + with how cheap you can get them (just the driver board and oem screen) drop in the build ocean. Then you can have op cards (special moves etc) on one and game controls on the other.

I've taken a bit of a detour over the past 8 months just to get the second display showing customizable game controls for emus as well as for mame with  CPWizard. Knocked together something to do this:

https://cpwizbiz.codeplex.com/

Just thought I'd share given you've got a similar setup.
(nice GE theme btw ;) )

Nope.  Haven't cut that part yet.  It rained all weekend, so I didn't get any build done (again), except for marking out where furring strips will go.  It's sooo tempting to throw a second third screen in there, but I'm still on the fence.  As is it, this cab has ended up costing me almost twice what I expected it to.

Side note...  A few weeks ago, I managed to download some particularly persistent adware onto the PC for my cab while trying to find a fix for 60fps Sega Genesis emulation on Windows 8.1.  So, after repeatedly clearing adware (Red AdBlocker, Yellow AdBlocker, Superduper AdBlocker, etc), and having it pop up again after every reboot, I gave up and reinstalled Windows.  And that's how I spent the majority of this rainy weekend: reconfiguring software. 

EDIT: Also, revisiting CPWizard and seeing if I can use that to display info on the 7" screen instead of GameExtender.  I may have to take a look at that program you threw together.  Seems promising for the console emulators.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2015, 09:58:04 am by RxBrad »

reptileink

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 28, 2023, 11:30:55 am
  • An 8 bit hero
« Reply #49 on: May 11, 2015, 03:19:36 pm »
I bought my PC off Craigslist a while back and even though the guy said he wiped it clean, I found 77 "malware" instances on it. Try using Malware Bytes next time, free download and works great! I work in Technical Support for a large brokerage firm and that's what we use with clients who wind up with malware.

~Building Arcade Cabinets are like raising children, you always mess up your first~

RxBrad

• Offline Offline
  • I like burritos.
    • bit.ly/1GDVYUu
    • RxBrad.com
« Reply #50 on: May 11, 2015, 03:38:41 pm »
I bought my PC off Craigslist a while back and even though the guy said he wiped it clean, I found 77 "malware" instances on it. Try using Malware Bytes next time, free download and works great! I work in Technical Support for a large brokerage firm and that's what we use with clients who wind up with malware.

In both Safe Mode and non-Safe Mode, I tried ALL of the following, one after the other, even after one program claimed to have cleaned any malware: MalwareBytes, JRT (Junkware Removal Tool), HitmanPro, ADWCleaner, and Google's Software Removal Tool. 

If I left Avast Antivirus running in the background, it would prevent it from re-installing the adware, but as soon as I disabled it, the adware popped back into my Google Chrome installation.  Whatever software kept injecting the malware was being missed by every cleaning tool I could throw at it.  And leaving Avast open to block the injection software was seriously bogging down the PC (probably whatever it was doing to block the adware installer was eating all the CPU cycles).

So, I gave up.

stigzler

• Offline Offline
    • Mago Arcade
It's sooo tempting to throw a second third screen in there, but I'm still on the fence.  As is it, this cab has ended up costing me almost twice what I expected it to.

7" LCD + driver board - £15 with Free delivery! :)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/7-inch-LCD-Screen-Display-Monitor-for-Raspberry-Pi-Driver-Board-HDMI-VGA-2AV-/271865827758?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item3f4c7751ae

RxBrad

• Offline Offline
  • I like burritos.
    • bit.ly/1GDVYUu
    • RxBrad.com
7" LCD + driver board - £15 with Free delivery! :)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/7-inch-LCD-Screen-Display-Monitor-for-Raspberry-Pi-Driver-Board-HDMI-VGA-2AV-/271865827758?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item3f4c7751ae

That seller apparently doesn't ship to the U.S, and it's roughly twice that cost to get one of those here.  Add in the AC adapter, an HDMI cable (oddly enough, I don't have any more spares), a DisplayPort to HDMI adapter (since DisplayPort's the only video port I have open), a power splitter (since I've used up all the sockets on my Smart Powerstrip).... it eventually starts to add up. 

.....not that I've totally ruled it out.   :burgerking:

reptileink

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 28, 2023, 11:30:55 am
  • An 8 bit hero
« Reply #53 on: May 11, 2015, 04:34:00 pm »

In both Safe Mode and non-Safe Mode, I tried ALL of the following, one after the other, even after one program claimed to have cleaned any malware: MalwareBytes, JRT (Junkware Removal Tool), HitmanPro, ADWCleaner, and Google's Software Removal Tool. 

If I left Avast Antivirus running in the background, it would prevent it from re-installing the adware, but as soon as I disabled it, the adware popped back into my Google Chrome installation.  Whatever software kept injecting the malware was being missed by every cleaning tool I could throw at it.  And leaving Avast open to block the injection software was seriously bogging down the PC (probably whatever it was doing to block the adware installer was eating all the CPU cycles).

So, I gave up.

yea, I'd probably have done the same thing by that point...lol

~Building Arcade Cabinets are like raising children, you always mess up your first~

abkaz

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 18, 2023, 11:32:35 am
« Reply #54 on: May 11, 2015, 05:20:05 pm »
Nice looking cab. Sorry to hear about the malware problems - I've gotten to the point that if I buy a used PC I do one of two things: 1) Wipe the disk using something like DBAN and reinstalling everything. Or 2) for smaller projects I drop in a $25 60GB SSD drive. It takes 35 minutes (or less for linux installs) and usually saves me 10x the time that would've been spent de-junking a drive. Plus I have the piece of mind of knowing there's nothing lurking in the depths of the drive. Every time I've used a malware cleaner I've usually wondered at some point if it got everything off the drive.

stigzler

• Offline Offline
    • Mago Arcade
« Reply #55 on: May 11, 2015, 07:07:11 pm »
Oh - just to check - hope folks aren't worried about my link being ad-ware or anything. No shadyness here, just an amateur coder looking to share...

RxBrad

• Offline Offline
  • I like burritos.
    • bit.ly/1GDVYUu
    • RxBrad.com
More baby steps.  It's almost as if the world is trying to keep this cabinet from happening...  So far, I have the control panel box mostly-assembled, most of the front panels cut out, and I'm starting on cutting out access holes for speakers, screens, USB ports, etc...

I started by cutting out the six sides of the control panel box, and attaching furring strips to keep them together.  I screwed and glued the strips on, screwing through the MDF and into the furring strips (since the wood of the furring strip will do a better job gripping the threads at the end of the screw than the MDF).

Then I glued & screwed all the pieces together.  The top is not attached, since it will be detachable on the finished product.  And the back panel isn't actually screwed on for now, because I need to be able to access the underside of the top panel to formulate some kind of latching system.

Control panel box.  Is strong like bull.

Next step is to prep the top panel for joysticks and buttons.  I printed a full size version of the control panel graphics, and clamped them to the top piece.

Then I center punched all of the holes.  I want these holes to be drilled as accurately as possible, so I'm taking my time.

With the holes center punched, I removed the graphic template, and used a small drillbit to drill pilot holes.

For the joystick attachment, I'll need to rout out part of the underside for the joystick mounting plate.  I marked this out now, since it'll be a lot easier to find the center of a tiny drilled hole than a 1-1/8" hole.

Now to drill the holes for the buttons and joysticks using a 1-1/8" forstner bit.  I started with one of the joystick holes, since any mistakes will be covered up by the joystick washer.  Good thing, because genius-me tried drilling the first hole with the drill in reverse, and the bit jumped out of the pilot hole.  So, I had to flip the board over and drill the hole correctly, starting from the back.  Like I mentioned, the error will be hidden by the joystick washer; but I'll still want to patch it up with wood filler so the control panel graphics attach smoothly to the surface.

After drilling a couple holes, I noticed that the bit was tearing chunks out of the underside as the bit came through the MDF.  So, I started drilling about 1/4 of the way through the bottom first, then flipping the board over and drilling through the top.  This seemed to go more smoothly.

After getting the holes drilled, I tossed in some buttons and a joystick to see how they fit.  Nice.

After getting most of the front panel pieces cut out, now I'm starting to make templates to rout out the access holes for the various components.  Here's my start on the speaker cutouts.  Measure twice / cut once is definitely a rule to live by for me, because I always screw up the measurements the first time (hence all the scribbled out lines).

« Last Edit: June 15, 2015, 09:51:36 am by RxBrad »

grippie

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 10, 2022, 03:07:35 pm
  • Genesis Does
    • Optimus Meatron
Nice work so far. I always put a scrap piece of wood underneath whenever using a forstner bit on MDF. Otherwise you'll get massive blowout. With a scrap piece under it, you'll be able to drill all the way through and into the 2nd piece for a really clean cut every time.

RxBrad

• Offline Offline
  • I like burritos.
    • bit.ly/1GDVYUu
    • RxBrad.com
Nice work so far. I always put a scrap piece of wood underneath whenever using a forstner bit on MDF. Otherwise you'll get massive blowout. With a scrap piece under it, you'll be able to drill all the way through and into the 2nd piece for a really clean cut every time.

(Edit: THANKS!) I thought about that, but didn't have any big enough scraps handy, so I resorted to the bottom-drilling method.  This also had the added benefit of reducing the effect where, once you drill through the MDF, you accidentally slam the drill chuck into the top of the piece of wood (something that wouldn't be an issue if I had a drill press).

SpaceHedgehog

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 06, 2023, 12:10:24 pm
  • Almost done ...
The panel under the screen in your model looks really nice. Looking forwards to seeing that implemented.
Click a pic for a video tour 

RxBrad

• Offline Offline
  • I like burritos.
    • bit.ly/1GDVYUu
    • RxBrad.com
I just got my hands on a freebie 19" 4:3 LCD, and now I'm already thinking about making a Pi2 cab with it.  And I'm still not even close to finishing this one. 

I think this might be an actual sickness.

RxBrad

• Offline Offline
  • I like burritos.
    • bit.ly/1GDVYUu
    • RxBrad.com
So, this weekend...  I get the template cut out for the speaker grille.  All excited to start routing it...

The freakin' router bit was apparently loose.  It slipped down and ate through my template and the final product.  So, now I'm in the middle of testing the limits of what MH Ready Patch can do to fix router errors.  At least I was able to make an "okay" speaker cutout on the left with the half of the template that wasn't ravaged by my suckage at power tools.  And luckily, most of this is going to be covered in speaker cloth when it's all said and done.

Also, when I noticed the the router bit slipped down, I knew it was a good idea to unplug the router before securing it back into place.  Unfortunately, I didn't stop to think how hot the bit would be.

Ouch, dammit.

stigzler

• Offline Offline
    • Mago Arcade
I just got my hands on a freebie 19" 4:3 LCD, and now I'm already thinking about making a Pi2 cab with it.  And I'm still not even close to finishing this one. 

I think this might be an actual sickness.

Heh. Welcome to the infirmary. Strap yourself in for the long haul... Oh and will you stop nicking all my favorite ideas!? a mini Pi machine was one of my next plans too - I do love mini monitors - small price and great value :)

Build coming along nicely and woodworking experience increasing exponentially. ;)

RxBrad

• Offline Offline
  • I like burritos.
    • bit.ly/1GDVYUu
    • RxBrad.com
I cut myself a template to rout the inset for the joystick.

It actually worked.  Imagine that.  Unfortunately, the joysticks are just slightly off center as they come through the hole that's drilled.  Despite all the painstaking effort I put into making sure the cutout was centered on the pilot hole, my lack of a drill press meant that the pilot hole on the back was slightly skewed from the front.  I think I'm going to need to tweak the CP art a bit so this isn't quite so obvious.

Then I widened the cutout so I could rout the inset in the back of the admin panel where the screen will sit.

After routing the inset, I cut a piece of plexiglass to match the admin panel, slowly drilled pilot holes and then button holes through both the plexi and MDF at the same time, and then routed the edges of the plexi to match the MDF.  This turned out much better than expected.  Here's the admin panel with the plexi on top of it.

Using my cutting template to test out the art.  I think I need to widen the screen opening a bit on the left. (The white parts around the screen will be black on the actual art.  This was just my cutting template.)

Checking to make sure the screen fits in the final product.  It's all blurry because there are still 3 layers of protective decals in place between the plexi and the screen.

mgb

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 21, 2024, 06:18:13 pm
  • North East, US
This build is looking nice.
That admin panel with the 7" display is slick looking

RxBrad

• Offline Offline
  • I like burritos.
    • bit.ly/1GDVYUu
    • RxBrad.com
Thanks, mgb...

Unfortunately, the joysticks are just slightly off center as they come through the hole that's drilled.  ... I think I'm going to need to tweak the CP art a bit so this isn't quite so obvious.

Phew!  Dodged one bullet, at least.  I sampled my art from the cutting template on the finished control panel, and luckily the dust washer covers enough of that compass/directional pattern that it's not obvious that the joysticks are slightly off-center.  I was afraid that some of the inside corners would show up, and others would be hidden.  (And that green button really is centered on the art.  The paper just got a little loose under it when I was putting in the buttons.)

EDIT:  Also, just placed my order for the CP/AP graphics from GameOnGraphix.  I had to pay tax on my order, so Scott must be in Michigan.  Which means it should get here pretty quick.  Nice.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2015, 08:45:02 pm by RxBrad »

RxBrad

• Offline Offline
  • I like burritos.
    • bit.ly/1GDVYUu
    • RxBrad.com
After spending an hour-and-a-half laying out my monitor bezel's dimensions, then proceeding to ruin it beyond repair, I came to a conclusion tonight

Eff this stupid bottom-bearing router bit.

If I'd have bought a top-bearing bit in the first place, I could have avoided so many of the mishaps I've run into.  Trying to awkwardly position templates underneath your work where you cant see them; or trying to balance your work on scraps so it's level.  This all just leads to trouble.  :banghead:

Sure, this thing worked great for trimming the plexi to fit my admin panel, and it will probably work well to trim my CP/AP graphics to fit.  But aside from that, it can go eff itself.

Friends don't let friends try doing template work with bottom-bearing flush trim bits.

Grrr.

RxBrad

• Offline Offline
  • I like burritos.
    • bit.ly/1GDVYUu
    • RxBrad.com
I got my CP/AP overlay from GameOnGrafix. I like how the print quality turned out. I'd darkened the image a little and added a subtle etched-on-brushed-metal look to it, and I think it came across pretty well.

There's a stripe where the adhesive backing didn't quite go on smoothly, which left a bump, but luckily not a crease in the art. So, I guess I need to be careful that no gunk gets in there before I apply the art.

Also, for something that's supposed to be polycarbonate coated, I guess I expected the material to be a little more rigid. I don't really have anything to compare it to, but the material seems more like I would've expected regular vinyl to feel. It's fairly soft and pliable. Since it came to me rolled up, I have some pieces of MDF holding it flat in hopes that it'll uncurl a little.

« Last Edit: June 13, 2015, 02:32:20 pm by RxBrad »

RxBrad

• Offline Offline
  • I like burritos.
    • bit.ly/1GDVYUu
    • RxBrad.com
Re: "Avengerless Avenger" - [6/15/15] Monitor Bezel; CP/AP Art Arrived
« Reply #68 on: June 15, 2015, 09:41:43 am »
Attempt #2 on the monitor bezel.  I almost made it through without an error, but then my template slipped as I was rounding out the last corner.  Annoying, but easily manageable. 

Getting closer and closer to where I can start assembling everything.  Woo.

stigzler

• Offline Offline
    • Mago Arcade
« Reply #69 on: June 15, 2015, 12:00:22 pm »
Looking good. Liking this build, especially the war-wound shots...

RxBrad

• Offline Offline
  • I like burritos.
    • bit.ly/1GDVYUu
    • RxBrad.com
« Reply #70 on: June 15, 2015, 07:19:25 pm »
I was just comparing the art I got from GoG to the cutting templates I printed at work... They aren't they same size.

Because of course they aren't. 

The outside buttons on the AP from my copy are 1/4" closer than the art I got this weekend. It doesn't sound like much, but it'll be pretty obvious with the way the art surrounds the buttons.

Well, at least I practiced drilling the CP & AP once already, so I should be really good at it when I do it this second time.

:(

I'm bad at stuff.

RxBrad

• Offline Offline
  • I like burritos.
    • bit.ly/1GDVYUu
    • RxBrad.com
Re: "Avengerless Avenger" - [7/12/15] Screen Glass Frame
« Reply #71 on: July 12, 2015, 08:27:28 pm »
It's been awhile. Had to repair/restain my deck, and also had a vacation in there. Time to get back to business.

A big chunk of time went into redoing my CP, AP, and AP plexi overlay.

Then I worked on trim around the monitor bezel that will act as a retainer for the monitor glass. The top and bottom have 1/2" MDF strips, with insets routed down 1/4" for the glass to rest on. Then I added 1/4" MDF strips on the sides.

On the bottom, there's an additional trim piece that will serve as the top trim on the AP (which keeps the plexi in place), and also creates a slot for the glass to drop into. Once I get everything assembled, I'll add a removable strip of aluminum that I'll screw into the top strip to keep the glass in place.

RxBrad

• Offline Offline
  • I like burritos.
    • bit.ly/1GDVYUu
    • RxBrad.com
« Reply #72 on: July 20, 2015, 12:57:04 pm »
Cut out a speaker grill that'll be wrapped in speaker cloth. Then clamped it to the speaker panel and drilled holes for where the grill attachment doohickies will go.

Also started attaching wood strips to the back of the monitor & speaker panels to keep all of the electronics fixed on place.  And started gluing and screwing batons to the pieces so I can start assembling everything.

stigzler

• Offline Offline
    • Mago Arcade
« Reply #73 on: July 20, 2015, 01:18:29 pm »
Damn - that monitor bezel has got some fine detail work on it. One of may fave builds at the moment as mirrors mine quite a bit. Looking forward to seeing that second monitor commissioned into multi-mon goodness.

RxBrad

• Offline Offline
  • I like burritos.
    • bit.ly/1GDVYUu
    • RxBrad.com
Re: "Avengerless Avenger" - [8/2/15] Admin Panel Basically Completed
« Reply #74 on: August 02, 2015, 04:48:37 pm »
So, I basically had to complete my admin panel before I could go much further, to avoid the pain of trying to cut the art overlay to size when then cab was completed.

Then I took off the buttons & screen and am currently gluing the bottom trim piece on.  I taped the art so glue wouldn't ooze onto it.  Once it dries, I think I'll put a couple screws in it, just to be safe; since this trim will be right next to the control panel and subject to some wear and tear.

Also, got all the guide pieces in place for the speakers.  The speakers will be secured with the plastic straps shown below.  Same for the monitor.

yotsuya

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 01:02:22 pm
  • 2014 UCA Winner, 2014, 2015, 2016 ZapCon Winner
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,137636.msg1420628.html
« Reply #75 on: August 02, 2015, 06:33:05 pm »
You know me, I **hate** admin panels....

... yet this one is done so well, I could weep for joy. Great job!
***Build what you dig, bro. Build what you dig.***

RxBrad

• Offline Offline
  • I like burritos.
    • bit.ly/1GDVYUu
    • RxBrad.com
« Reply #76 on: August 03, 2015, 08:06:30 pm »
Aw, shucks, yotsuya.  I love you, too....   :cheers:

I didn't really show how the 7" admin panel screen is secured in yesterday's photos.  I guess I'm easily impressed by my own over-engineering, so here are a couple more photos...

I used my router to create an inset (hard to see when everything is painted black), so the screen is closer to the front of the admin panel than the 1/2" MDF it's made of.  Also, I've decided that I love EZ-Loks, and plan on using them all day long.  They're used here to secure the screen retainer, I'll use them on the joysticks, the marquee retainer, the speaker & monitor retainer straps, and the main screen's glass retainer.  And pretty much anywhere else I can think of.  100 of them only cost $5, so I'll get my money's worth.

The PCB for the 7" screen is held in place by "L type PCB feet" that you can buy at Ultimarc / GGG.  I bought enough feet to secure 8 different PCBs for 8 bucks on FleaBay.

The 7" screen (with the protective film still in place)  is stuck to the other side of the 1/4" MDF retainer with velcro tape.  This way, when I remove the retainer, everything comes off in one easily-manageable piece.

Here's the admin panel with the bottom trim piece in place (which will get painted with the rest of the cab).  Here I'm giving it a quick test run.  I'm not terribly impressed by the viewing angles on this screen.  Hopefully it's okay at the angle I have it set up (and maybe it'll look a little better without the screen protector still on it).  EDIT 10/17/2016: Almost a year later....  I realized that by flipping the 7" display upside-down, it is now perfectly viewable.  Before, I had to stoop down to see it.  Took a bit of Dremeling to get it in there after-the-fact; but it's much better now.

« Last Edit: October 17, 2016, 02:56:31 pm by RxBrad »

yotsuya

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 01:02:22 pm
  • 2014 UCA Winner, 2014, 2015, 2016 ZapCon Winner
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,137636.msg1420628.html
« Reply #77 on: August 03, 2015, 08:19:19 pm »
Yeah, that's awesome. Sure, I'm a traditionalist, but when I see innovation that looks WELL-PLANNED OUT and not like an AFTERTHOUGHT, I give kudos where they are due. Sweet job!
***Build what you dig, bro. Build what you dig.***

Vidiot

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 15, 2024, 10:00:17 am
  • John 3:16
« Reply #78 on: August 04, 2015, 07:32:38 am »
Yep. I'm definitely loving that admin panel as well. The information screen is such a great idea. In a mame cabinet it really makes sense to have a screen that can display the current game's controls.  :applaud:

stigzler

• Offline Offline
    • Mago Arcade
« Reply #79 on: August 04, 2015, 08:14:05 am »
Looking great rx and exactly how I did mine. Although admittedly it was an afterthought... Naughty me. I must be deficient.

Loving your build. When you get to the setup stage, check cpwizbiz, something I knocked together to show controls for other emus. Due to release next build soon.