Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: "Avengerless Avenger" - [11/17/15] Finished!  (Read 55954 times)

RxBrad

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 31, 2023, 12:41:00 pm
  • I like burritos.
    • bit.ly/1GDVYUu
    • RxBrad.com
"Avengerless Avenger" - [11/17/15] Finished!
« on: December 30, 2014, 09:36:22 am »
I think I'm finally to a point where I can start posting this bad boy.  My plan is to start cutting over the New Year's holiday.  (2/5/15: Nope.  Maybe someday when it finally thaws outside.)  Might as well post now so somebody can kick me before I do something stupid, since I'm new at this and all.

My cab is going to be a 6ft tall stand up with a 23" LCD monitor.  I've thrown together a Sketchup drawing, and I think I'm happy with the design now.  The large front panel under the CP box will have inset hinges and will open to give me access to the PC and a shelf to hold things like keyboard, mouse, controllers, etc. (2/5/15: Nixed the shelf.  I'll actually store stuff in the box under the CP.  Directly below the CP box there will be a fixed panel with a USB hub integrated into it for USB console controllers.  Below that the door to access the PC from the front.)

The CP will be detachable, and can be interchanged with a flat panel attached to the top of the cabinet (inspired by markc74's Blip cab).  My intention is to swap in the flat panel when I want to play non-arcadey KB/Mouse games on the PC.  The CP is 5/8" pine overlaid with 1/8" plexiglass; and the flat panel will be painted 3/4" MDF. (2/5/15: CP will be 3/4" MDF overlaid with printed polycarbonate from GameOnGraphix)

Underneath the main monitor, I'm including an admin panel with a secondary 7" LCD that'll display the instruction card for the game being played.  The admin panel will be overlaid in plexiglass.

My first step will be to build a frame.  It's made up of 1x4 boards with a 1/2" MDF base.  The base is 24" wide and 20" deep.  I honestly don't think the frame will provide a ton of structural support; the 3/4" MDF making up the sides and much of the front/back will probably do most of the work.  That being said, I think I may still make a couple tweaks to make it a little more structurally sound, like making those side boards on the underside extend all the way to the front of the base, and adding some cross-braces to the vertical boards.  It'll all sit on 3" casters (fixed wheels in the back, swivel casters with brakes on the front). The door in the front will also make it easier to reach the brakes on the swivel casters.

Still haven't designed the CP, but I think I still have a couple months before I really need to get to that part.  Kind of waiting to see what Andy has in store for the I-Pac boards in late January.  I'm thinking I'll take advantage of the X-Input adapters, which I assume might make the cabinet a little more Steam Game Library-friendly. 

Anyhow, I've been playing a lot of Borderlands lately, and I've taken a liking to the comic book / cel-shaded look.  I think my design will be similar to that, but not based on any specific game.  Honestly, I don't think I want to give it a name.  Just some kind of cool, very minimalist graphics on the marquee, sides, etc..
« Last Edit: November 17, 2015, 07:47:29 am by RxBrad »

RxBrad

• Offline Offline
  • I like burritos.
    • bit.ly/1GDVYUu
    • RxBrad.com
Re: RxBrad's Nameless Cab - SketchUp drawings, about to start cutting
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2014, 03:05:17 pm »
Redesigned the frame.  I think that's a lot more structurally sound than what I had.

Also bought myself a speed square so I could get some nice square cuts; and also bought a spare 2x4ft sheet of 1/2" MDF so I could make a sawboard, since I don't have a table saw at my disposal.

Let's do this!

yotsuya

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 10:58:57 pm
  • 2014 UCA Winner, 2014, 2015, 2016 ZapCon Winner
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,137636.msg1420628.html
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2014, 03:10:31 pm »
You really don't need a frame to make it sound. If you look at original cabs, NONE of them have any internal framework.

And I've never been a fan of 7" insert screens, but I do have to say, I like how you've integrated yours. It helps get rid of all that wasted space under the monitor. The way you intergrate it with your artwork will really make or break it. Keeping an eye on this one.  :cheers:
***Build what you dig, bro. Build what you dig.***

RxBrad

• Offline Offline
  • I like burritos.
    • bit.ly/1GDVYUu
    • RxBrad.com
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2014, 03:21:22 pm »
You really don't need a frame to make it sound. If you look at original cabs, NONE of them have any internal framework.

Yeah..  I know. Might as well build it like a tank, I figured, so I know it'll live through whatever abuse comes at it.  :bat

That, and I'm paranoid that it'll be topheavy & tipsy, so the frame adds a little junk in the trunk. 

As much as anything, it makes it a less likely for me to build the cabinet and have it end up not being square.

Nephasth

« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2014, 03:24:11 pm »
It's not very fun moving a tank. Original cabs were held together with brackets like these.

RxBrad

• Offline Offline
  • I like burritos.
    • bit.ly/1GDVYUu
    • RxBrad.com
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2014, 03:28:42 pm »
It's not very fun moving a tank. Original cabs were held together with brackets like these.

OK.  Maybe a wimpy little sissytank then.  :)  I'm only using 1x4's, so the frame is actually fairly light.

I actually spent 5 minutes at the Home Depot this afternoon hovering over a bin of similar brackets trying to decide if I wanted to use those instead of furring strips.  My cheaper side got the best of me, and I decided to stick with the furring strips.

rablack97

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 11, 2022, 06:50:10 pm
  • If you don't try, you have no chance at innovation
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2014, 04:44:36 pm »

Old maximus pulled it off.....

However, furring strips, screws and woodglue will do just fine sir....

The internal structure you got goin on is overkill, it will be a tank though and beotch to move.......Looks good though.

RxBrad

• Offline Offline
  • I like burritos.
    • bit.ly/1GDVYUu
    • RxBrad.com
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2015, 07:09:40 pm »
Apparently, it's winter. So, the weather hasn't been cooperating with my plans to go outside and cut MDF.  Instead of building, I started on my CP design.

Still need to include Start and Coin/Select buttons for P1/P2. I also think the player labels need some work to improve the contrast. And I'm still not sure if I want the background shown here, an alternate cel-shaded-looking version of this, or a simpler gradient type background.

RxBrad

• Offline Offline
  • I like burritos.
    • bit.ly/1GDVYUu
    • RxBrad.com
Re: RxBrad's "Avengerless Avenger" - CP, Admin Panel, Marquee Graphics
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2015, 07:23:02 pm »
Spent most of my day fiddling with Photoshop.  Managed to get a control panel, admin panel, and marquee out of it, though.  Obviously, I've scrapped the cel-shaded theme, and ended up on more of an Avengers-style cab.  Without any actual Avengers.  The "Avengerless Avenger Cab"?

Whatever..  Here's what I have.  I can't help but think that the admin panel is missing something, but I can't quite figure out what.  It might get a redesign.

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
Dude, I ---smurfing--- COMMEND you to the nth on your art style choices. Less CAN be more sometimes. Yes!

Fursphere

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 12:43:11 am
I have to admit I was pretty damn impressed by the artwork too.   :cheers:

What do you use to drive the little information screen?  I'm guessing its like game instructions and what not?

RxBrad

• Offline Offline
  • I like burritos.
    • bit.ly/1GDVYUu
    • RxBrad.com
Dude, I ---smurfing--- COMMEND you to the nth on your art style choices. Less CAN be more sometimes. Yes!

Thanks..  I can't help but think that I'm breaking some unspoken rule by putting a big generic "The Arcade" on the marquee, but I like it.

Now I need to figure out what to do for side art.

I have to admit I was pretty damn impressed by the artwork too.   :cheers:

What do you use to drive the little information screen?  I'm guessing its like game instructions and what not?

It's a 7" screen that most people apparently use for Raspberry Pi setups, but it also has an HDMI port for use on a PC.  Here's a link.  And, yeah.. my plan is to have it show the instructions at the very least.  Maybe have it rotate with game info/history/other stuff.

EDIT:  Just noticed that there's now a higher resolution version for the same price.  And with a black bezel.  Nice.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2015, 07:53:35 am by RxBrad »

Generic Eric

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 05, 2024, 09:02:23 am
  • Restore! Don't maim for MAME, build from scratch!
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,143226.0.html
Are they all at the Falafel House?

yotsuya

• Offline Offline

Thanks..  I can't help but think that I'm breaking some unspoken rule by putting a big generic "The Arcade" on the marquee, but I like it.

Now I need to figure out what to do for side art.

Keep it minimalist. I love the use of an environment instead of a generic collage of 'roided out characters trying to look as tough as Hans and Franz.  That's so played out... this is fresh and innovative.

n3wt0n

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 27, 2024, 05:03:38 pm
I really like the artwork. Like others have already stated, sometimes less is more. I can't wait to see it on the machine.

RxBrad

• Offline Offline
  • I like burritos.
    • bit.ly/1GDVYUu
    • RxBrad.com
Are they all at the Falafel House?

I guess I know what my sideart is now.   :P

RxBrad

• Offline Offline
  • I like burritos.
    • bit.ly/1GDVYUu
    • RxBrad.com
I just realized that I have access to an inkjet plotter.  Woo.

Okay.. so I may have gotten a little overexcited and printed the version with the buttons which won't really work for my CP.  But I can use it to get a good idea of the scale.

This does lead me to a question, though...  What's the best way to go about drilling the CP.  My ultimate plan is to get my CP printed by GameOnGraphix.  Would it be best to clamp the wood, plexi, and art from GoG all together and drill through all three layers at once?  Or should I separately cut the holes in the art using an X-Acto knife?

EMDB

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 05, 2023, 09:18:51 am
  • Project RetroCade
I just realized that I have access to an inkjet plotter.  Woo.

Okay.. so I may have gotten a little overexcited and printed the version with the buttons which won't really work for my CP.  But I can use it to get a good idea of the scale.

This does lead me to a question, though...  What's the best way to go about drilling the CP.  My ultimate plan is to get my CP printed by GameOnGraphix.  Would it be best to clamp the wood, plexi, and art from GoG all together and drill through all three layers at once?  Or should I separately cut the holes in the art using an X-Acto knife?
If you let GoG print on polycarbonate you don't need plexi on top. Order a drill template when you order the CP at Gog. Use the drill template to mark the holes to drill. Drill with Forester bit or Spade drill. Afterwards apply the CP. You can use bottom lighting to align the printout. Use a sharp knife (e.g. x-acto) or use your router to flush trim the holes.

« Last Edit: January 23, 2015, 01:18:09 pm by EMDB »

RxBrad

• Offline Offline
  • I like burritos.
    • bit.ly/1GDVYUu
    • RxBrad.com
If you let GoG print on polycarbonate you don't need plexi on top. Order a drill template when you order the CP at Gog. Use the drill template to mark the holes to drill. Drill with Forester bit or Spade drill. Afterwards apply the CP. You can use bottom lighting to align the printout. Use a sharp knife (e.g. x-acto) or use your router to flush trim the holes.

Is it bad to cover the printed polycarbonate with plexi? 

I know for a fact that I want plexi over the admin panel under the monitor, because I don't want that 7" screen uncovered.  Should I consider getting my CP art printed on some other material?.  (I'm pretty sure that anything off the inkjet printer at work is going to fade over time, so I probably don't want to use that for the final product.)

AzureKnight

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 29, 2022, 12:22:17 am
GoG has two options for printing, based on whether or not you are using plexi.  I went with the non-adhesive backed option that sits under the plexiglass.

Their printing quality is top notch.  I am very happy with the work they did for me.  I did add the print template and I would HIGHLY recommend it. 

For drilling I used the print template to drill the wood CP.  I then clamped the plexi to the CP and used that as a guide to cut the plexi.  I would NOT recommend doing it in one shot, you will destroy the plexiglass.  In fact if you haven't cut plexi before I recommend you get some scrap (the corners?) and practice.

The last thing I will add is that the plexi does hide some of the art.  I'm overdue to add some photos to my build thread but the lower lighting in my basement, coupled with the plexiglass glare has rendered some of the detail on my CP art a lot less noticeable than I would have liked.  Since you do have a printed copy you might want to look at it in the lighting under your plexi before ordering the final art.

RxBrad

• Offline Offline
  • I like burritos.
    • bit.ly/1GDVYUu
    • RxBrad.com
The weather continues to be a steaming pile of winter poo, so no actual construction has happened yet.  I have been playing around with the software I'm using, and I've managed to get the secondary display working how I want using GameExtender/GameEx.  I used CPWizard to create a PNG of the controls for each game.  Then I tell GameExtender to look in the folder where I store all of those PNGs, and display the one that corresponds to the game I'm playing.  That 7" monitor is surprisingly good quality for $50, and seems really well-suited to a project like this.  I'll try to post a picture sometime in the next few days.

Anyhow..  I think you've convinced me to use 3/4" MDF for my CP and NOT use a plexi overlay.  Those GoG CPs just look too nice to cover up.  The admin panel will still have a plexi overlay, but honestly there's not really much to the art there, so if something is concealed a little, I won't worry too much.

Next question: any issues using CAT6 as quick disconnects for a CP?  I have a boatload of CAT6 patch cables and a buttload of CAT6 female-to-female connectors lying around.  I was thinking I'd cut the patch cables in half and wire the strands directly to the controls / IPac.  Then I could use the female connectors to hook the IPac to the controls.  Is it OK to wire the strands from the CAT6 directly into the controls, or do they need to be connected to something beefier first? (Looks like CAT6 uses 23G wire...  I'd think that'd be enough?)
« Last Edit: January 26, 2015, 04:10:21 pm by RxBrad »

RxBrad

• Offline Offline
  • I like burritos.
    • bit.ly/1GDVYUu
    • RxBrad.com
Re: RxBrad's "Avengerless Avenger" - [1/5/15] CP, Admin Panel, Marquee Graphics
« Reply #21 on: February 01, 2015, 05:22:48 pm »
Worked on side art today.  Pretty sure my PC started to cry like a little girl at some point while I edited the 1GB+ Photoshop file...  You can't tell in this photo, but there's a lot of brushed metal textures going on in here.

EDIT:  Hmm..  I really need to add something to the top half, where there's just a bunch of empty black space.  Or maybe just leave it blank.  *shrug*  We'll see.

« Last Edit: February 02, 2015, 10:39:45 am by RxBrad »

lamprey

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 17, 2019, 07:03:11 pm
Re: RxBrad's "Avengerless Avenger" - [2/1/15] Side Art Designed
« Reply #22 on: February 02, 2015, 04:38:10 pm »
Small bit of feedback.. Do you really need 3 Select buttons? Also, what's the Menu button for? It seems odd to me to have a Select/Coin as the same button on the CP. Seems like you can drop the Menu & Select buttons from the "Info" panel. And for the CP, you can remove the text of "Select" and just press a player button (like button 1 (blue)) to select a game.

RxBrad

• Offline Offline
  • I like burritos.
    • bit.ly/1GDVYUu
    • RxBrad.com
« Reply #23 on: February 02, 2015, 05:08:57 pm »
Small bit of feedback.. Do you really need 3 Select buttons? Also, what's the Menu button for? It seems odd to me to have a Select/Coin as the same button on the CP. Seems like you can drop the Menu & Select buttons from the "Info" panel. And for the CP, you can remove the text of "Select" and just press a player button (like button 1 (blue)) to select a game.

The select buttons on the CP are actually in reference to the select button for console gamepads. I agree, the "select" text needs to go on those, since I have the secondary screen defining the buttons for cases like that.

Aesthetically, I want all black buttons, so I like the label for the start buttons rather than the P1/P2 graphic buttons.

I like having the number of buttons on the CP I do for ease in matching them to XInput equivalents.

EDIT:  Also, the Menu button is for the Tab Menu in MAME.  I honestly don't see many people other than myself playing this, so I'm okay having it out there.  For the most part, I have a button for every input on the IPAC2 (plus an out-of-the-way power button).
« Last Edit: February 03, 2015, 08:13:09 am by RxBrad »

RxBrad

• Offline Offline
  • I like burritos.
    • bit.ly/1GDVYUu
    • RxBrad.com
« Reply #24 on: February 03, 2015, 07:25:25 pm »
Tweaked the sideart a bit. Had some extra room on the image I'll be sending to Souldraw, so I added a pattern that I'll use on the mouse/keyboard surface.

« Last Edit: February 05, 2015, 05:02:19 pm by RxBrad »

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #25 on: February 03, 2015, 07:29:45 pm »
I LOVE your sparse artwork. By doing so, you allow the PLAYER to become the Avenger, rather than having static characters forever bursting forth in a 'roid-fuelled rage.

One of my favorites of this young year!  :cheers:

RxBrad

• Offline Offline
  • I like burritos.
    • bit.ly/1GDVYUu
    • RxBrad.com
« Reply #26 on: February 03, 2015, 07:42:28 pm »
I LOVE your sparse artwork. By doing so, you allow the PLAYER to become the Avenger, rather than having static characters forever bursting forth in a 'roid-fuelled rage.

One of my favorites of this young year!  :cheers:

Thanks!  :cheers:

Honestly, I think being held up by the weather has been a good thing. Keeps giving me time to tweak things more to my liking. Already, I look at what I have and think, "I should move the 'A' up a little on the sideart...(done - updated in post above) Maybe if I can tone down the background on the CP a little..."
« Last Edit: February 05, 2015, 05:03:02 pm by RxBrad »

Rick

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 09, 2023, 01:16:55 pm
  • Bartop, Cocktail and Pinball Arcade Cabinets
    • Gameroom Designs Canada
« Reply #27 on: February 06, 2015, 07:47:44 pm »
LOVE THIS. Watching.

RxBrad

• Offline Offline
  • I like burritos.
    • bit.ly/1GDVYUu
    • RxBrad.com
« Reply #28 on: February 19, 2015, 03:29:57 pm »
Really wishing that I'd bought a monitor with VESA mounts right about now.  :angry:

Anyone have any suggestions for mounting this monitor in an arcade cab?

AzureKnight

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 29, 2022, 12:22:17 am
« Reply #29 on: February 19, 2015, 04:32:29 pm »

Are you going to decase it?  Any mounting points in there?

If not I would say build a shelf and stand the base on the shelf.  Then put a small wood frame around the sides, top and bottom to hold the monitor at the angle you want.  Then let your bezel hide all of that.

I'm guessing someone else here will have a better idea though.

RxBrad

• Offline Offline
  • I like burritos.
    • bit.ly/1GDVYUu
    • RxBrad.com
« Reply #30 on: February 19, 2015, 04:55:03 pm »

Are you going to decase it?  Any mounting points in there?

If not I would say build a shelf and stand the base on the shelf.  Then put a small wood frame around the sides, top and bottom to hold the monitor at the angle you want.  Then let your bezel hide all of that.

I'm guessing someone else here will have a better idea though.

I don't think I want decase it. I don't see any external screws to do so, and im afraid I might make the situation worse if I tried. Maybe I can just use the bolthole in the base assembly somehow.

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #31 on: February 19, 2015, 05:50:40 pm »
Build like a box/frame for it to rest in.

RxBrad

• Offline Offline
  • I like burritos.
    • bit.ly/1GDVYUu
    • RxBrad.com
« Reply #32 on: February 19, 2015, 07:40:11 pm »
Build like a box/frame for it to rest in.

I think that's the direction I'm going. Which means that I'll probably just build the box right onto the back of an MDF bezel.

I was originally thinking I'd want to do the thing where you spraypaint a black border on the back of the glass covering the monitor, but maybe this will be a better option, after all. Makes it possible to go back and do bezel art in the future if I want.

Ond

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 18, 2024, 11:41:19 pm
« Reply #33 on: February 19, 2015, 07:47:07 pm »
Very nice work going on here   :)  ...watching.

RxBrad

• Offline Offline
  • I like burritos.
    • bit.ly/1GDVYUu
    • RxBrad.com
« Reply #34 on: February 22, 2015, 05:31:48 pm »
Obligatory SketchUp render with art applied.   8)

It's a fairly complete version, just missing the speaker grills and the USB hub below the CP.

« Last Edit: February 22, 2015, 05:33:46 pm by RxBrad »

RxBrad

• Offline Offline
  • I like burritos.
    • bit.ly/1GDVYUu
    • RxBrad.com
Re: RxBrad's "Avengerless Avenger"
« Reply #35 on: April 13, 2015, 09:18:29 am »
Finally got a chance to start building my cabinet this weekend!

First off, I made myself a double-barreled sawboard for my circular saw (works using both edges of the saw).  I'll spare the details, since there's already a sticky for sawboards; but I go into more detail in my blog.

The base was cut from 1/2" MDF, 19.25" x 24" (this 24 inch width is the factory cut width of the 2x4ft MDF sheets I'm using throughout this project).  Reinforcing 1x4 boards are glued with Gorilla Glue and screwed to the bottom.  Before attaching the 1x4's, however, I had to cut notches with my jigsaw for the vertical attachment points on the frame (visible in the second picture below).

Two fixed-wheel casters are bolted to the back, and two swivel casters are bolted to the front (where the brake can be easily accessed when the cabinet door is opened.  When attaching the swivel casters, I had to make sure that there was clearance for them to spin with the brake both engaged and disengaged.  The holes were drilled using a slightly larger diameter than the guide holes in the actual casters, to allow a little bit of error in the hole placement.  The casters are only loosely attached for now, because they'll need to come back off when I'm ready to paint.  Also, the swivel and fixed casters were slightly different heights, so I had to use washers to even them out.

I also cut all of the boards necessary for the frame using my trusty speed square.  And that's all the time I had to work on my project this first weekend.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2015, 09:20:19 am by RxBrad »

RxBrad

• Offline Offline
  • I like burritos.
    • bit.ly/1GDVYUu
    • RxBrad.com
"Avengerless Avenger" - [4/20/15] Frame Complete; Side Template
« Reply #36 on: April 20, 2015, 09:28:33 am »
Continuing to make slow progress.  Finished the frame.  Realized that the braces connecting the front and back posts would have absolutely no purpose once the sides were attached, so I got rid of them.

Then I made a wooden cutting template for the sides using 1/4" MDF.  I only templated the top 2/3rd, since everything below that involves just a single vertical cut.  This allowed me to use a single 2x4ft sheet of MDF.  Next weekend I'll cut the sides with my router's duplicating bit.

I started by printing a full-scale outline of the side and taped it to the MDF.  I cut out template with jigsaw, and used a straight file to straighten the lines and make the cuts better mimic the paper template.

For the sharp corners on the front/top, I traced around a metal washer, and used the outline to file the corners rounded.

RxBrad

• Offline Offline
  • I like burritos.
    • bit.ly/1GDVYUu
    • RxBrad.com
Re: "Avengerless Avenger" - [4/20/15] Frame Complete; Side Template
« Reply #37 on: April 20, 2015, 11:07:26 am »
OK, confession time.  I've never actually used a router before.  Looking at another thread, I just noticed that, apparently, there are top-bearing and bottom-bearing flush trim bits.

I bought a bottom-bearing bit.  Will this be a problem?  The bit has a 1-inch cutting depth, and I'm using it on 3/4" MDF with a 1/4" template.

EDIT:  Okay.. it looks like it'll work.  Although I think I might've preferred the top-bearing.

« Last Edit: April 20, 2015, 11:40:08 am by RxBrad »

stuckpixel

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 15, 2016, 02:59:23 pm
« Reply #38 on: April 20, 2015, 12:54:52 pm »
Bottom bearing will work just fine -- you just need to put your template _under_ the piece of wood you're going to be routing.

A little awkward, but it works fine.

I'm keeping my eye on this one - like the concepts and design.

RxBrad

• Offline Offline
  • I like burritos.
    • bit.ly/1GDVYUu
    • RxBrad.com
« Reply #39 on: April 24, 2015, 11:40:09 am »
Finally placed my controls order from GGG.  RandyT was nice enough to knock $10 off the Player 2 OMNI2 stick by letting me get it with a fixed 8way restrictor.  Also bought a couple M/F Parallel cables from Monoprice that I'll cut in half and use to make the CP detachable (seemed like a sturdier solution than CAT5).  Still need to order an IPAC2 from Ultimarc.

Products
  • 2 x   Arcade PRIME™ Green Pushbutton (PRIMEPBGREEN) Microswitch Premium Groovy-Micro™ Soft-Touch   $5.40
  • 2 x   Arcade PRIME™ Yellow Pushbutton (PRIMEPBYELLOW) Microswitch Premium Groovy-Micro™ Soft-Touch   $5.40
  • 2 x   Arcade PRIME™ Red Pushbutton (PRIMEPBRED) Microswitch Premium Groovy-Micro™ Soft-Touch   $5.40
  • 2 x   Arcade PRIME™ Blue Pushbutton (PRIMEPBBLUE) Microswitch Premium Groovy-Micro™ Soft-Touch   $5.40
  • 8 x   Arcade PRIME™ Black Pushbutton (PRIMEPBBLACK) Microswitch Premium Groovy-Micro™ Soft-Touch   $21.60
  • 8 x   Arcade PRIME™ Black Pushbutton (PRIMEPBBLACK) Microswitch Standard Soft Touch™   $9.60
  • 2 x   OMNI2™ 4/8-way Switchable Arcade Joystick (OMNI248WYJOY01) Dustwasher Standard Joystick Switch Options SmoothJoy™ Switches (Installed) Ball Color Economy Red   $59.80 $49.80
  • 1 x   RED ChromaLite™ Illuminated Pushbutton (CHRLTERED01) Microswitch Standard Soft Touch™   $2.35
  • 1 x   Pushbutton Nut Wrench (PBWRNCH01)   $2.00
  • 1 x   RED Female Quick Disconnects .187 - 50 Pack - Fully Insulated (QDF-RED187)   $3.95
   ---------
Sub-Total:   $120.90
United States Postal Service (Priority Mail™):   $11.90
Total:   $132.80 $122.80

RxBrad

• Offline Offline
  • I like burritos.
    • bit.ly/1GDVYUu
    • RxBrad.com
Re: "Avengerless Avenger" - [4/25/15] Sides Cut, Dry Assembled
« Reply #40 on: April 25, 2015, 08:14:14 pm »
Not a ton of opportunity to work on my cab this weekend.  I did manage to get the sides cut out (the bottom-bearing flush trim bit wasn't too hard to use).  Then I clamped the sides to the frame so I could get a rough idea of what I'm working toward.

Now I'm getting to the tedious part where I need to cut openings/insets in front panels to fit screens, speakers, and a USB hub; and then design some kind of cage to keep them all in place.  That might take awhile.

n3wt0n

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 27, 2024, 05:03:38 pm
« Reply #41 on: April 26, 2015, 02:46:29 pm »
This is coming along well. I am looking forward to seeing the end product.

RetroGreg

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 19, 2022, 06:56:33 pm
« Reply #42 on: April 26, 2015, 04:10:34 pm »
Looking good. I really like the shape  :cheers:

RxBrad

• Offline Offline
  • I like burritos.
    • bit.ly/1GDVYUu
    • RxBrad.com
« Reply #43 on: May 01, 2015, 02:46:59 pm »
My order came in from GroovyGameGear today, and everything seems in order. Playing around with the controls, I was slightly surprised that their "Premium Soft Touch" switches (a white switch stamped with a VABSCO brand) seem louder than their standard "Soft Touch" switch (black Zippy branded). The premium might take slightly less pressure to depress, but it's not much. I guess I'll stick with the standards on any future projects and save some money.

I also ordered my IPAC2 and a groundwire harness today (through Focus Attack, which saved me about $20 vs from Ultimarc, between shipping and the cost of the harness)
« Last Edit: May 01, 2015, 02:51:31 pm by RxBrad »

BorgDog

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 22, 2021, 02:22:52 pm
  • Not a hipster for over 50 years!
« Reply #44 on: May 01, 2015, 03:20:23 pm »
That looks a lot like the order I got from GGG yesterday.   :cheers:  I actually upgraded my buttons to the micro-leaf switches and swapped a couple into my Little Bastard last night, and after playing a few games decided I like the feel of them much better that that's all I'm going to do from now on.. unless I do some tru-leaf pros like I did on my pinball cab flipper buttons, but those won't go in all the buttons.
My Projects:
MisSpent Youth a Vigolix bartop,  Little Bastard a rotating tablet/display bartop,
Pin-Dog a mini pin-cab on vpforums.org  Star Wars a wedgehead pincab on vpinball.com

RxBrad

• Offline Offline
  • I like burritos.
    • bit.ly/1GDVYUu
    • RxBrad.com
« Reply #45 on: May 04, 2015, 10:12:34 am »
Between family commitments and yard work, I didn't get a chance to complete any more construction this weekend.   :badmood:

I did, at least, take some time Friday to better configure how I'm going to fit together the monitor / admin panel sections (my original plans had some weird vertically-asymmetric confusion going on around the monitor).  I also made some paper templates that I'll use for guides on the speaker and monitor cutouts.  Occasionally I tell myself that just using bare speakers and an amp would be so much easier than fitting the Logitech X-140's I have in a cab, but then I remember that I want to take advantage of the headphone jack on those Logitechs.

The IPAC2 is supposed to show up today.  Since I'll have everything I need to make a playable control panel, I need to will myself not to assemble all of the controls now.  Otherwise, everything will grind to a halt while I play games on some piecemeal-but-workable CP box.

RxBrad

• Offline Offline
  • I like burritos.
    • bit.ly/1GDVYUu
    • RxBrad.com
« Reply #46 on: May 06, 2015, 07:00:26 pm »
Bucking the trend, and not using Hyperspin. Here's my GameEx theme I put together...

stigzler

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 11, 2022, 03:01:48 pm
  • It seemed like a good idea at the time....
    • Mago Arcade
I have been playing around with the software I'm using, and I've managed to get the secondary display working how I want using GameExtender/GameEx.  I used CPWizard to create a PNG of the controls for each game.  Then I tell GameExtender to look in the folder where I store all of those PNGs, and display the one that corresponds to the game I'm playing.  That 7" monitor is surprisingly good quality

Liking your build + spooky - using GameEx myself and also have a 7" info display in exactly the same position on mine! One thing though - have you cut the monitor bezel yet? If not, really do consider installing two 7"ers instead. Wish I'd done this on mine + with how cheap you can get them (just the driver board and oem screen) drop in the build ocean. Then you can have op cards (special moves etc) on one and game controls on the other.

I've taken a bit of a detour over the past 8 months just to get the second display showing customizable game controls for emus as well as for mame with  CPWizard. Knocked together something to do this:

https://cpwizbiz.codeplex.com/

Just thought I'd share given you've got a similar setup.
(nice GE theme btw ;) )
« Last Edit: May 08, 2015, 03:00:29 pm by stigzler »

RxBrad

• Offline Offline
  • I like burritos.
    • bit.ly/1GDVYUu
    • RxBrad.com

Liking your build + spooky - using GameEx myself and also have a 7" info display in exactly the same position on mine! One thing though - have you cut the monitor bezel yet? If not, really do consider installing two 7"ers instead. Wish I'd done this on mine + with how cheap you can get them (just the driver board and oem screen) drop in the build ocean. Then you can have op cards (special moves etc) on one and game controls on the other.

I've taken a bit of a detour over the past 8 months just to get the second display showing customizable game controls for emus as well as for mame with  CPWizard. Knocked together something to do this:

https://cpwizbiz.codeplex.com/

Just thought I'd share given you've got a similar setup.
(nice GE theme btw ;) )

Nope.  Haven't cut that part yet.  It rained all weekend, so I didn't get any build done (again), except for marking out where furring strips will go.  It's sooo tempting to throw a second third screen in there, but I'm still on the fence.  As is it, this cab has ended up costing me almost twice what I expected it to.

Side note...  A few weeks ago, I managed to download some particularly persistent adware onto the PC for my cab while trying to find a fix for 60fps Sega Genesis emulation on Windows 8.1.  So, after repeatedly clearing adware (Red AdBlocker, Yellow AdBlocker, Superduper AdBlocker, etc), and having it pop up again after every reboot, I gave up and reinstalled Windows.  And that's how I spent the majority of this rainy weekend: reconfiguring software. 

EDIT: Also, revisiting CPWizard and seeing if I can use that to display info on the 7" screen instead of GameExtender.  I may have to take a look at that program you threw together.  Seems promising for the console emulators.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2015, 09:58:04 am by RxBrad »

reptileink

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 28, 2023, 11:30:55 am
  • An 8 bit hero
« Reply #49 on: May 11, 2015, 03:19:36 pm »
I bought my PC off Craigslist a while back and even though the guy said he wiped it clean, I found 77 "malware" instances on it. Try using Malware Bytes next time, free download and works great! I work in Technical Support for a large brokerage firm and that's what we use with clients who wind up with malware.

~Building Arcade Cabinets are like raising children, you always mess up your first~

RxBrad

• Offline Offline
  • I like burritos.
    • bit.ly/1GDVYUu
    • RxBrad.com
« Reply #50 on: May 11, 2015, 03:38:41 pm »
I bought my PC off Craigslist a while back and even though the guy said he wiped it clean, I found 77 "malware" instances on it. Try using Malware Bytes next time, free download and works great! I work in Technical Support for a large brokerage firm and that's what we use with clients who wind up with malware.

In both Safe Mode and non-Safe Mode, I tried ALL of the following, one after the other, even after one program claimed to have cleaned any malware: MalwareBytes, JRT (Junkware Removal Tool), HitmanPro, ADWCleaner, and Google's Software Removal Tool. 

If I left Avast Antivirus running in the background, it would prevent it from re-installing the adware, but as soon as I disabled it, the adware popped back into my Google Chrome installation.  Whatever software kept injecting the malware was being missed by every cleaning tool I could throw at it.  And leaving Avast open to block the injection software was seriously bogging down the PC (probably whatever it was doing to block the adware installer was eating all the CPU cycles).

So, I gave up.

stigzler

• Offline Offline
    • Mago Arcade
It's sooo tempting to throw a second third screen in there, but I'm still on the fence.  As is it, this cab has ended up costing me almost twice what I expected it to.

7" LCD + driver board - £15 with Free delivery! :)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/7-inch-LCD-Screen-Display-Monitor-for-Raspberry-Pi-Driver-Board-HDMI-VGA-2AV-/271865827758?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item3f4c7751ae

RxBrad

• Offline Offline
  • I like burritos.
    • bit.ly/1GDVYUu
    • RxBrad.com
7" LCD + driver board - £15 with Free delivery! :)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/7-inch-LCD-Screen-Display-Monitor-for-Raspberry-Pi-Driver-Board-HDMI-VGA-2AV-/271865827758?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item3f4c7751ae

That seller apparently doesn't ship to the U.S, and it's roughly twice that cost to get one of those here.  Add in the AC adapter, an HDMI cable (oddly enough, I don't have any more spares), a DisplayPort to HDMI adapter (since DisplayPort's the only video port I have open), a power splitter (since I've used up all the sockets on my Smart Powerstrip).... it eventually starts to add up. 

.....not that I've totally ruled it out.   :burgerking:

reptileink

• Offline Offline
  • An 8 bit hero
« Reply #53 on: May 11, 2015, 04:34:00 pm »

In both Safe Mode and non-Safe Mode, I tried ALL of the following, one after the other, even after one program claimed to have cleaned any malware: MalwareBytes, JRT (Junkware Removal Tool), HitmanPro, ADWCleaner, and Google's Software Removal Tool. 

If I left Avast Antivirus running in the background, it would prevent it from re-installing the adware, but as soon as I disabled it, the adware popped back into my Google Chrome installation.  Whatever software kept injecting the malware was being missed by every cleaning tool I could throw at it.  And leaving Avast open to block the injection software was seriously bogging down the PC (probably whatever it was doing to block the adware installer was eating all the CPU cycles).

So, I gave up.

yea, I'd probably have done the same thing by that point...lol

~Building Arcade Cabinets are like raising children, you always mess up your first~

abkaz

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 18, 2023, 11:32:35 am
« Reply #54 on: May 11, 2015, 05:20:05 pm »
Nice looking cab. Sorry to hear about the malware problems - I've gotten to the point that if I buy a used PC I do one of two things: 1) Wipe the disk using something like DBAN and reinstalling everything. Or 2) for smaller projects I drop in a $25 60GB SSD drive. It takes 35 minutes (or less for linux installs) and usually saves me 10x the time that would've been spent de-junking a drive. Plus I have the piece of mind of knowing there's nothing lurking in the depths of the drive. Every time I've used a malware cleaner I've usually wondered at some point if it got everything off the drive.

stigzler

• Offline Offline
    • Mago Arcade
« Reply #55 on: May 11, 2015, 07:07:11 pm »
Oh - just to check - hope folks aren't worried about my link being ad-ware or anything. No shadyness here, just an amateur coder looking to share...

RxBrad

• Offline Offline
  • I like burritos.
    • bit.ly/1GDVYUu
    • RxBrad.com
More baby steps.  It's almost as if the world is trying to keep this cabinet from happening...  So far, I have the control panel box mostly-assembled, most of the front panels cut out, and I'm starting on cutting out access holes for speakers, screens, USB ports, etc...

I started by cutting out the six sides of the control panel box, and attaching furring strips to keep them together.  I screwed and glued the strips on, screwing through the MDF and into the furring strips (since the wood of the furring strip will do a better job gripping the threads at the end of the screw than the MDF).

Then I glued & screwed all the pieces together.  The top is not attached, since it will be detachable on the finished product.  And the back panel isn't actually screwed on for now, because I need to be able to access the underside of the top panel to formulate some kind of latching system.

Control panel box.  Is strong like bull.

Next step is to prep the top panel for joysticks and buttons.  I printed a full size version of the control panel graphics, and clamped them to the top piece.

Then I center punched all of the holes.  I want these holes to be drilled as accurately as possible, so I'm taking my time.

With the holes center punched, I removed the graphic template, and used a small drillbit to drill pilot holes.

For the joystick attachment, I'll need to rout out part of the underside for the joystick mounting plate.  I marked this out now, since it'll be a lot easier to find the center of a tiny drilled hole than a 1-1/8" hole.

Now to drill the holes for the buttons and joysticks using a 1-1/8" forstner bit.  I started with one of the joystick holes, since any mistakes will be covered up by the joystick washer.  Good thing, because genius-me tried drilling the first hole with the drill in reverse, and the bit jumped out of the pilot hole.  So, I had to flip the board over and drill the hole correctly, starting from the back.  Like I mentioned, the error will be hidden by the joystick washer; but I'll still want to patch it up with wood filler so the control panel graphics attach smoothly to the surface.

After drilling a couple holes, I noticed that the bit was tearing chunks out of the underside as the bit came through the MDF.  So, I started drilling about 1/4 of the way through the bottom first, then flipping the board over and drilling through the top.  This seemed to go more smoothly.

After getting the holes drilled, I tossed in some buttons and a joystick to see how they fit.  Nice.

After getting most of the front panel pieces cut out, now I'm starting to make templates to rout out the access holes for the various components.  Here's my start on the speaker cutouts.  Measure twice / cut once is definitely a rule to live by for me, because I always screw up the measurements the first time (hence all the scribbled out lines).

« Last Edit: June 15, 2015, 09:51:36 am by RxBrad »

grippie

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 10, 2022, 03:07:35 pm
  • Genesis Does
    • Optimus Meatron
Nice work so far. I always put a scrap piece of wood underneath whenever using a forstner bit on MDF. Otherwise you'll get massive blowout. With a scrap piece under it, you'll be able to drill all the way through and into the 2nd piece for a really clean cut every time.

RxBrad

• Offline Offline
  • I like burritos.
    • bit.ly/1GDVYUu
    • RxBrad.com
Nice work so far. I always put a scrap piece of wood underneath whenever using a forstner bit on MDF. Otherwise you'll get massive blowout. With a scrap piece under it, you'll be able to drill all the way through and into the 2nd piece for a really clean cut every time.

(Edit: THANKS!) I thought about that, but didn't have any big enough scraps handy, so I resorted to the bottom-drilling method.  This also had the added benefit of reducing the effect where, once you drill through the MDF, you accidentally slam the drill chuck into the top of the piece of wood (something that wouldn't be an issue if I had a drill press).

SpaceHedgehog

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 06, 2023, 12:10:24 pm
  • Almost done ...
The panel under the screen in your model looks really nice. Looking forwards to seeing that implemented.
Click a pic for a video tour 

RxBrad

• Offline Offline
  • I like burritos.
    • bit.ly/1GDVYUu
    • RxBrad.com
I just got my hands on a freebie 19" 4:3 LCD, and now I'm already thinking about making a Pi2 cab with it.  And I'm still not even close to finishing this one. 

I think this might be an actual sickness.

RxBrad

• Offline Offline
  • I like burritos.
    • bit.ly/1GDVYUu
    • RxBrad.com
So, this weekend...  I get the template cut out for the speaker grille.  All excited to start routing it...

The freakin' router bit was apparently loose.  It slipped down and ate through my template and the final product.  So, now I'm in the middle of testing the limits of what MH Ready Patch can do to fix router errors.  At least I was able to make an "okay" speaker cutout on the left with the half of the template that wasn't ravaged by my suckage at power tools.  And luckily, most of this is going to be covered in speaker cloth when it's all said and done.

Also, when I noticed the the router bit slipped down, I knew it was a good idea to unplug the router before securing it back into place.  Unfortunately, I didn't stop to think how hot the bit would be.

Ouch, dammit.

stigzler

• Offline Offline
    • Mago Arcade
I just got my hands on a freebie 19" 4:3 LCD, and now I'm already thinking about making a Pi2 cab with it.  And I'm still not even close to finishing this one. 

I think this might be an actual sickness.

Heh. Welcome to the infirmary. Strap yourself in for the long haul... Oh and will you stop nicking all my favorite ideas!? a mini Pi machine was one of my next plans too - I do love mini monitors - small price and great value :)

Build coming along nicely and woodworking experience increasing exponentially. ;)

RxBrad

• Offline Offline
  • I like burritos.
    • bit.ly/1GDVYUu
    • RxBrad.com
I cut myself a template to rout the inset for the joystick.

It actually worked.  Imagine that.  Unfortunately, the joysticks are just slightly off center as they come through the hole that's drilled.  Despite all the painstaking effort I put into making sure the cutout was centered on the pilot hole, my lack of a drill press meant that the pilot hole on the back was slightly skewed from the front.  I think I'm going to need to tweak the CP art a bit so this isn't quite so obvious.

Then I widened the cutout so I could rout the inset in the back of the admin panel where the screen will sit.

After routing the inset, I cut a piece of plexiglass to match the admin panel, slowly drilled pilot holes and then button holes through both the plexi and MDF at the same time, and then routed the edges of the plexi to match the MDF.  This turned out much better than expected.  Here's the admin panel with the plexi on top of it.

Using my cutting template to test out the art.  I think I need to widen the screen opening a bit on the left. (The white parts around the screen will be black on the actual art.  This was just my cutting template.)

Checking to make sure the screen fits in the final product.  It's all blurry because there are still 3 layers of protective decals in place between the plexi and the screen.

mgb

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 21, 2024, 06:18:13 pm
  • North East, US
This build is looking nice.
That admin panel with the 7" display is slick looking

RxBrad

• Offline Offline
  • I like burritos.
    • bit.ly/1GDVYUu
    • RxBrad.com
Thanks, mgb...

Unfortunately, the joysticks are just slightly off center as they come through the hole that's drilled.  ... I think I'm going to need to tweak the CP art a bit so this isn't quite so obvious.

Phew!  Dodged one bullet, at least.  I sampled my art from the cutting template on the finished control panel, and luckily the dust washer covers enough of that compass/directional pattern that it's not obvious that the joysticks are slightly off-center.  I was afraid that some of the inside corners would show up, and others would be hidden.  (And that green button really is centered on the art.  The paper just got a little loose under it when I was putting in the buttons.)

EDIT:  Also, just placed my order for the CP/AP graphics from GameOnGraphix.  I had to pay tax on my order, so Scott must be in Michigan.  Which means it should get here pretty quick.  Nice.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2015, 08:45:02 pm by RxBrad »

RxBrad

• Offline Offline
  • I like burritos.
    • bit.ly/1GDVYUu
    • RxBrad.com
After spending an hour-and-a-half laying out my monitor bezel's dimensions, then proceeding to ruin it beyond repair, I came to a conclusion tonight

Eff this stupid bottom-bearing router bit.

If I'd have bought a top-bearing bit in the first place, I could have avoided so many of the mishaps I've run into.  Trying to awkwardly position templates underneath your work where you cant see them; or trying to balance your work on scraps so it's level.  This all just leads to trouble.  :banghead:

Sure, this thing worked great for trimming the plexi to fit my admin panel, and it will probably work well to trim my CP/AP graphics to fit.  But aside from that, it can go eff itself.

Friends don't let friends try doing template work with bottom-bearing flush trim bits.

Grrr.

RxBrad

• Offline Offline
  • I like burritos.
    • bit.ly/1GDVYUu
    • RxBrad.com
I got my CP/AP overlay from GameOnGrafix. I like how the print quality turned out. I'd darkened the image a little and added a subtle etched-on-brushed-metal look to it, and I think it came across pretty well.

There's a stripe where the adhesive backing didn't quite go on smoothly, which left a bump, but luckily not a crease in the art. So, I guess I need to be careful that no gunk gets in there before I apply the art.

Also, for something that's supposed to be polycarbonate coated, I guess I expected the material to be a little more rigid. I don't really have anything to compare it to, but the material seems more like I would've expected regular vinyl to feel. It's fairly soft and pliable. Since it came to me rolled up, I have some pieces of MDF holding it flat in hopes that it'll uncurl a little.

« Last Edit: June 13, 2015, 02:32:20 pm by RxBrad »

RxBrad

• Offline Offline
  • I like burritos.
    • bit.ly/1GDVYUu
    • RxBrad.com
Re: "Avengerless Avenger" - [6/15/15] Monitor Bezel; CP/AP Art Arrived
« Reply #68 on: June 15, 2015, 09:41:43 am »
Attempt #2 on the monitor bezel.  I almost made it through without an error, but then my template slipped as I was rounding out the last corner.  Annoying, but easily manageable. 

Getting closer and closer to where I can start assembling everything.  Woo.

stigzler

• Offline Offline
    • Mago Arcade
« Reply #69 on: June 15, 2015, 12:00:22 pm »
Looking good. Liking this build, especially the war-wound shots...

RxBrad

• Offline Offline
  • I like burritos.
    • bit.ly/1GDVYUu
    • RxBrad.com
« Reply #70 on: June 15, 2015, 07:19:25 pm »
I was just comparing the art I got from GoG to the cutting templates I printed at work... They aren't they same size.

Because of course they aren't. 

The outside buttons on the AP from my copy are 1/4" closer than the art I got this weekend. It doesn't sound like much, but it'll be pretty obvious with the way the art surrounds the buttons.

Well, at least I practiced drilling the CP & AP once already, so I should be really good at it when I do it this second time.

:(

I'm bad at stuff.

RxBrad

• Offline Offline
  • I like burritos.
    • bit.ly/1GDVYUu
    • RxBrad.com
Re: "Avengerless Avenger" - [7/12/15] Screen Glass Frame
« Reply #71 on: July 12, 2015, 08:27:28 pm »
It's been awhile. Had to repair/restain my deck, and also had a vacation in there. Time to get back to business.

A big chunk of time went into redoing my CP, AP, and AP plexi overlay.

Then I worked on trim around the monitor bezel that will act as a retainer for the monitor glass. The top and bottom have 1/2" MDF strips, with insets routed down 1/4" for the glass to rest on. Then I added 1/4" MDF strips on the sides.

On the bottom, there's an additional trim piece that will serve as the top trim on the AP (which keeps the plexi in place), and also creates a slot for the glass to drop into. Once I get everything assembled, I'll add a removable strip of aluminum that I'll screw into the top strip to keep the glass in place.

RxBrad

• Offline Offline
  • I like burritos.
    • bit.ly/1GDVYUu
    • RxBrad.com
« Reply #72 on: July 20, 2015, 12:57:04 pm »
Cut out a speaker grill that'll be wrapped in speaker cloth. Then clamped it to the speaker panel and drilled holes for where the grill attachment doohickies will go.

Also started attaching wood strips to the back of the monitor & speaker panels to keep all of the electronics fixed on place.  And started gluing and screwing batons to the pieces so I can start assembling everything.

stigzler

• Offline Offline
    • Mago Arcade
« Reply #73 on: July 20, 2015, 01:18:29 pm »
Damn - that monitor bezel has got some fine detail work on it. One of may fave builds at the moment as mirrors mine quite a bit. Looking forward to seeing that second monitor commissioned into multi-mon goodness.

RxBrad

• Offline Offline
  • I like burritos.
    • bit.ly/1GDVYUu
    • RxBrad.com
Re: "Avengerless Avenger" - [8/2/15] Admin Panel Basically Completed
« Reply #74 on: August 02, 2015, 04:48:37 pm »
So, I basically had to complete my admin panel before I could go much further, to avoid the pain of trying to cut the art overlay to size when then cab was completed.

Then I took off the buttons & screen and am currently gluing the bottom trim piece on.  I taped the art so glue wouldn't ooze onto it.  Once it dries, I think I'll put a couple screws in it, just to be safe; since this trim will be right next to the control panel and subject to some wear and tear.

Also, got all the guide pieces in place for the speakers.  The speakers will be secured with the plastic straps shown below.  Same for the monitor.

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #75 on: August 02, 2015, 06:33:05 pm »
You know me, I **hate** admin panels....

... yet this one is done so well, I could weep for joy. Great job!

RxBrad

• Offline Offline
  • I like burritos.
    • bit.ly/1GDVYUu
    • RxBrad.com
« Reply #76 on: August 03, 2015, 08:06:30 pm »
Aw, shucks, yotsuya.  I love you, too....   :cheers:

I didn't really show how the 7" admin panel screen is secured in yesterday's photos.  I guess I'm easily impressed by my own over-engineering, so here are a couple more photos...

I used my router to create an inset (hard to see when everything is painted black), so the screen is closer to the front of the admin panel than the 1/2" MDF it's made of.  Also, I've decided that I love EZ-Loks, and plan on using them all day long.  They're used here to secure the screen retainer, I'll use them on the joysticks, the marquee retainer, the speaker & monitor retainer straps, and the main screen's glass retainer.  And pretty much anywhere else I can think of.  100 of them only cost $5, so I'll get my money's worth.

The PCB for the 7" screen is held in place by "L type PCB feet" that you can buy at Ultimarc / GGG.  I bought enough feet to secure 8 different PCBs for 8 bucks on FleaBay.

The 7" screen (with the protective film still in place)  is stuck to the other side of the 1/4" MDF retainer with velcro tape.  This way, when I remove the retainer, everything comes off in one easily-manageable piece.

Here's the admin panel with the bottom trim piece in place (which will get painted with the rest of the cab).  Here I'm giving it a quick test run.  I'm not terribly impressed by the viewing angles on this screen.  Hopefully it's okay at the angle I have it set up (and maybe it'll look a little better without the screen protector still on it).  EDIT 10/17/2016: Almost a year later....  I realized that by flipping the 7" display upside-down, it is now perfectly viewable.  Before, I had to stoop down to see it.  Took a bit of Dremeling to get it in there after-the-fact; but it's much better now.

« Last Edit: October 17, 2016, 02:56:31 pm by RxBrad »

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #77 on: August 03, 2015, 08:19:19 pm »
Yeah, that's awesome. Sure, I'm a traditionalist, but when I see innovation that looks WELL-PLANNED OUT and not like an AFTERTHOUGHT, I give kudos where they are due. Sweet job!

Vidiot

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 15, 2024, 10:00:17 am
  • John 3:16
« Reply #78 on: August 04, 2015, 07:32:38 am »
Yep. I'm definitely loving that admin panel as well. The information screen is such a great idea. In a mame cabinet it really makes sense to have a screen that can display the current game's controls.  :applaud:

stigzler

• Offline Offline
    • Mago Arcade
« Reply #79 on: August 04, 2015, 08:14:05 am »
Looking great rx and exactly how I did mine. Although admittedly it was an afterthought... Naughty me. I must be deficient.

Loving your build. When you get to the setup stage, check cpwizbiz, something I knocked together to show controls for other emus. Due to release next build soon.

RxBrad

• Offline Offline
  • I like burritos.
    • bit.ly/1GDVYUu
    • RxBrad.com
Re: "Avengerless Avenger" - [8/9/15] Cabinet Assembly Underway
« Reply #80 on: August 09, 2015, 07:42:09 pm »
I love it when a plan comes together...

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #81 on: August 09, 2015, 08:42:31 pm »
You're making me break all my personal rules on things I like/dislike in cabs, Brad!!!

RxBrad

• Offline Offline
  • I like burritos.
    • bit.ly/1GDVYUu
    • RxBrad.com
« Reply #82 on: August 09, 2015, 08:55:04 pm »
You're making me break all my personal rules on things I like/dislike in cabs, Brad!!!

...and now I swap out the control panel and replace it with a 2x5ft slab.  :lol

Hey, question: There are some gaps between the speaker panel and the adjacent panels that need filling. Since i don't have fancy table saws, all of my boards are just cut at right angles. Wondering what everyone else uses to fill in cracks like this. Something that hopefully won't crack open again after I paint the cab.

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #83 on: August 09, 2015, 09:00:16 pm »

...and now I swap out the control panel and replace it with a 2x5ft slab. 

YOU SON OF A ---smurfette---!!!!!

:cheers:

edge929

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 10, 2020, 08:51:02 pm
  • MAME Cab = Childhood in a box
« Reply #84 on: August 14, 2015, 03:29:39 pm »

...and now I swap out the control panel and replace it with a 2x5ft slab.  :lol

Hey, question: There are some gaps between the speaker panel and the adjacent panels that need filling. Since i don't have fancy table saws, all of my boards are just cut at right angles. Wondering what everyone else uses to fill in cracks like this. Something that hopefully won't crack open again after I paint the cab.

I had a nice table saw for my build and still had some fitment issues. I ended up using Elmer's wood filler to fill them in. Most were really small cracks but I took my time and shoved the filler in with a metal putty knife. There were only a few places where I didn't do this along the entire crack. Took a palm sander to it when done. The only thing you need to worry about is moving the cab. If you pull on the side, you can expect a small crack where you putty'd/painted. I found this out the hard way but was able to paint over it. Now I sandwich the outside of the sides together when I move it, working with the cracks instead of pulling them apart.

RxBrad

• Offline Offline
  • I like burritos.
    • bit.ly/1GDVYUu
    • RxBrad.com
« Reply #85 on: August 14, 2015, 03:52:42 pm »
I was thinking about black caulk on the inside of the cab where the cracks are. It's flexible, so not as likely to crack.

I hope.

I'm currently filling screw holes -- round 2 of 3 completed on that. This weekend I want to cut about 1/4" off the bottom of the side panels, because it currently doesn't even have enough clearance to negotiate the slight slopes on my garage floor. Then I'm going to rout the T-molding slot, and prime/paint the bottom panel before I put the wheels back on, so I shouldn't have to tip the cab over again until maybe when I apply the side art.

harveybirdman

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 19, 2024, 12:40:25 pm
  • SHMUP'EM
« Reply #86 on: August 14, 2015, 04:08:48 pm »
what goes through my head every time I see this thread

RxBrad

• Offline Offline
  • I like burritos.
    • bit.ly/1GDVYUu
    • RxBrad.com
« Reply #87 on: August 14, 2015, 04:39:45 pm »
what goes through my head every time I see this thread

I can see where you'd get that.  There is one difference between that Brad and myself.  I wear pants when I work.

harveybirdman

• Offline Offline
  • SHMUP'EM
« Reply #88 on: August 14, 2015, 05:06:05 pm »
 :laugh2:

stigzler

• Offline Offline
    • Mago Arcade
« Reply #89 on: August 15, 2015, 05:59:32 am »
Make sure you buy good quality caulk. The cheaper stuff can crack.

Another thing to watch for. Made mistake on mine of painting too soon after filling screw holes. So, I filled them with a good brand wood filler. Let dry. Sanded next day. Think I painted cab the following week, but wierdly, over time, the filler continued to expand a little, so have bumps where screw holes fixed. Eitger it continued to expand, or it reacted with the paint....

Nephasth

« Reply #90 on: August 15, 2015, 08:41:28 am »
You sound like an expert caulk handler. :cheers:

I'll stick with Bondo.

stigzler

• Offline Offline
    • Mago Arcade
« Reply #91 on: August 15, 2015, 12:38:55 pm »
..and again.  :applaud:

Nephasth

« Reply #92 on: August 15, 2015, 01:22:57 pm »

stigzler

• Offline Offline
    • Mago Arcade
« Reply #93 on: August 15, 2015, 06:10:26 pm »
Ah. And I thought this guy only had one method of communication: offensiveness. He also appears to have 'snide' in his arsenal - posting pictures that he knows will only be known by his buddies so he can snigger and feel all superior in his shared esoteric knowledge. It's an interesting puzzle, I'm torn presently between  narcissistic and schizoid. Either way, there are meds and therapies available for both.

Nephasth

« Reply #94 on: August 15, 2015, 07:02:35 pm »
Misanthrope. You suck at online diagnosis. ;)

RxBrad

• Offline Offline
  • I like burritos.
    • bit.ly/1GDVYUu
    • RxBrad.com
Re: "Avengerless Avenger" - [8/24/15] Cabinet Assembly Still Underway
« Reply #95 on: August 24, 2015, 05:02:14 pm »
Most of the screw holes are filled.  A few still in-progress.  Also, remembered that the reason I bought MH Ready Patch in the first place was that it's supposedly good for filling gaps between MDF boards (derp).  It acts a lot like bondo.  So, I'm working on filling those gaps, too.

Trimmed 1/4" off the bottom of the side panels for clearance.

Routed the T-molding channel.  If you look closely, you can see a few inches where the slot is a bit wider because the bit walked out of the router a little; and I had to re-route it centered.  I'm hopeful that the correctly-centered slot on either side will hold it adequately in place.

Started the marquee box, and attached a couple MDF panels on the back (not really visible in this pic).

Also, painted the bottom panel, so I could permanently attach the wheels and stand the cab back up.

Before I paint the rest of the cab, I need to:
* Finish attaching the back panels
* Add furring strips to support the front/rear access doors
* Finish building the lightbox for the marquee
* Develop the mounting system for the CP (I have magnets.  Lots of them. The same mounts will need to be duplicated on top of the cab, where I can swap out the flat KB/mouse panel.)

With any luck, I should be ready to paint after next weekend. Which is good, because Winter is Coming.

RxBrad

• Offline Offline
  • I like burritos.
    • bit.ly/1GDVYUu
    • RxBrad.com
Re: "Avengerless Avenger" - [8/24/15] Cabinet Assembly Still Underway
« Reply #96 on: August 24, 2015, 09:33:58 pm »
I just made a spreadsheet of what I've spent so far to build this cab. 

Yikes.   :scared

RxBrad

• Offline Offline
  • I like burritos.
    • bit.ly/1GDVYUu
    • RxBrad.com
Re: "Avengerless Avenger" - [9/1/15] Priming the Cab
« Reply #97 on: September 01, 2015, 09:00:37 am »
Got everything assembled, for the most part. 

Very basic lightbox made from scrap wood I had lying around.  Couldn't really make it completely enclosed, since it's pretty tight on space, and it needs room for the buttons and whatnot when the control panel is mounted on the top.  Will be lit with LED tape (drilled a hole to make room for the power cable).  I was going to use a fluorescent bulb, but just didn't have enough room for it.

Found the retainer strip I'll mount above the monitor to keep the screen glass in place.  It's just a 90-cent ruler from Home Depot, cut to size with screwholes drilled and countersunk.  Also filed a taper on the top edge of the back, so it sits flush with the speaker panel above it.

It had markings and indentations on both sides, so I took my power sander to it.  Should work just fine.  It'll get painted black to match the cab.

Drilled some vent holes in the back.  While I did this, I dropped the drill and took a chunk out of one of the MDF panels.  So, there's another spot to patch up.  I think I might put another 8" of fixed panel on the back before I paint back there.  That way, the access door won't be quite so enormous (and I think I'll still have plenty of room to reach the components in the back.

Masked off the admin panel and the parts I'd already painted on the bottom...

And now I'm priming it.  Using a spraycan for both sides of the front sections, with all the random nooks and crannies.  It's crazy how rough MDF gets when you spray it with primer.  So, lots of sanding to do.  I have a gallon of Kilz and foam roller/brushes for the rest.

Ignore the bowing in the MDF below the marquee.  You don't see that.  And you'll see it even less once the marquee retainer goes on. 

RxBrad

• Offline Offline
  • I like burritos.
    • bit.ly/1GDVYUu
    • RxBrad.com
« Reply #98 on: September 05, 2015, 09:01:20 pm »
Two coats of primer on. Black satin paint starts going on tomorrow. The waiting between coats is killing me.

« Last Edit: September 05, 2015, 09:24:20 pm by RxBrad »

Slippyblade

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 16, 2023, 11:39:51 am
  • And to the death god we say, "Not today!"
« Reply #99 on: September 05, 2015, 09:37:43 pm »

Terrifying isn't it?  Budgets do not work in this hobby.

RxBrad

• Offline Offline
  • I like burritos.
    • bit.ly/1GDVYUu
    • RxBrad.com
« Reply #100 on: September 05, 2015, 09:42:40 pm »

Terrifying isn't it?  Budgets do not work in this hobby.

Needing to buy extra MDF and plexi to replace stuff that I flubbed doesn't help, either.

But, at least I'm learning stuff. And I got a few new tools out of that cash.

ChanceKJ

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 07, 2021, 02:52:06 pm
« Reply #101 on: September 06, 2015, 01:13:59 pm »
 :applaud: nice build! Love that admin, well done!

I had a similar moment half way through mine, "oh, wow, what have I done" etc... But you press through. Pretty sure all said and done I hit just south of 5K. Half of which was shipping charges and conversion rates  :lol ... Aww :(

DaOld Man

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 13, 2023, 12:03:14 am
  • Wheres my coffee?
    • Skenny's Outpost
« Reply #102 on: September 06, 2015, 04:55:02 pm »
First thing you throw in the trash on this hobby is a budget.
Second will be your estimated time to complete it.

SNAAKE

• Trade Count: (+29)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 11, 2024, 12:21:50 pm
  • my joystick is bigger than your joystick !
« Reply #103 on: September 06, 2015, 06:23:37 pm »
First thing you throw in the trash on this hobby is a budget.
Second will be your estimated time to complete it.

damn right

RxBrad

• Offline Offline
  • I like burritos.
    • bit.ly/1GDVYUu
    • RxBrad.com
Re: "Avengerless Avenger" - [9/7/15] Black Satin Paint 1st Coat
« Reply #104 on: September 07, 2015, 04:59:55 pm »
First coat of Rustoleum Black Satin Paint.

Any recommendations on how long one should wait before sanding oil paint and applying the second coat? The can says fully cured in 24hrs, but I'm skeptical.

« Last Edit: September 07, 2015, 05:02:14 pm by RxBrad »

RxBrad

• Offline Offline
  • I like burritos.
    • bit.ly/1GDVYUu
    • RxBrad.com
« Reply #105 on: September 09, 2015, 07:05:12 am »
As I'm waiting for paint to dry, I was thinking...

8 buttons... :whap

I really have this laid out for Street Fighter IV PC with the Xbox360 controller button colors... Which might get about 2% of the playtime I put into it. 

I think I might rearrange the colored buttons into the bottom row in NeoGeo layout. Then make the first 3 columns of buttons the arcade fighter buttons.

Xerobull

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 06, 2024, 02:07:05 pm
  • Push it to the limit.
    • Pedestal Xero
« Reply #106 on: September 14, 2015, 09:08:05 am »
RX- do you happen to have the CP Photoshop files for your build? Thanks!

RxBrad

• Offline Offline
  • I like burritos.
    • bit.ly/1GDVYUu
    • RxBrad.com
« Reply #107 on: September 14, 2015, 09:22:43 am »

I can do that when I get home.  Technically, I did the CP using GIMP, if that makes a difference.

Also, the file is friggen' hyuuuuge, because it's at 300dpi.  Any objections to me removing the backdrop photo to get the size down?  (Also, where does one upload a >1GB file for sharing?)

EDIT: I VPNed into my home computer and uploaded it to Dropbox.  Wasn't nearly as big as I thought (I was thinking of the sideart, apparently).  Here you go (180MB)
« Last Edit: September 14, 2015, 09:47:30 am by RxBrad »

RxBrad

• Offline Offline
  • I like burritos.
    • bit.ly/1GDVYUu
    • RxBrad.com
« Reply #108 on: September 14, 2015, 10:24:45 am »

I can do that when I get home.  Technically, I did the CP using GIMP, if that makes a difference.

Also, the file is friggen' hyuuuuge, because it's at 300dpi.  Any objections to me removing the backdrop photo to get the size down?  (Also, where does one upload a >1GB file for sharing?)

EDIT: I VPNed into my home computer and uploaded it to Dropbox.  Wasn't nearly as big as I thought (I was thinking of the sideart, apparently).  Here you go (180MB)

Just saw your other thread.. Looks like you're probably interested in the Admin Panel, as well.  Here you go...

Xerobull

• Offline Offline
  • Push it to the limit.
    • Pedestal Xero
« Reply #109 on: September 14, 2015, 09:23:59 pm »
Thanks, RX! Downloading them now- did you break a rule by tunneling out of your company's network?  >:D

How's the satin paint taking? I'm thinking of going that way too.

RxBrad

• Offline Offline
  • I like burritos.
    • bit.ly/1GDVYUu
    • RxBrad.com
« Reply #110 on: September 14, 2015, 09:42:13 pm »
Thanks, RX! Downloading them now- did you break a rule by tunneling out of your company's network?  >:D

How's the satin paint taking? I'm thinking of going that way too.

No problem.

I didn't break any rules. I don't think. Probably. Maybe....  :dunno

The paint took pretty well, although I need to keep my hands off the cab for a few more days and let it cure.  This Rustoleum is oil-based, so theoretically it'll be more durable than latex once it finally cures. However, It scratches really easily a day or two after it's painted. I already managed to scratch the front door with routine handling. I guess I'll just make sure that scratch is on the inside of the door when I install it. 

Also, my painting technique needs some work. You can see roller marks in some places when it's in the right light. I think it's because I didn't stop running the roller over the paint soon enough, and as it partially dried, it was more likely to show marks.

RxBrad

• Offline Offline
  • I like burritos.
    • bit.ly/1GDVYUu
    • RxBrad.com
Re: "Avengerless Avenger" - [9/16/15] Painting Complete
« Reply #111 on: September 16, 2015, 08:14:22 pm »
Paint's done (except for the control panel, which will immediately get covered up with overlay and T-molding)

Marquee plexiglass mounted using clear plastic wall corner guards. Attached to the cab with screws + EZ-Loks. After taking the photo below, I took off the corner guards and painted the inside surfaces with black spray paint (which is currently drying).

Rear door attached using a pair of 12" piano hinges. Currently just taped shut until I screw on the window sash lock that'll keep it closed.

The plastic retainer clips that'll hold the speaker cover on had to be hammered into place. Unfortunately, that hammering completely dorked the joints I'd patched between the speaker panel and the panels above and below.  Luckily, the lower joint is totally covered by the monitor glass retainer. The top joint, I'll need to fix.

RxBrad

• Offline Offline
  • I like burritos.
    • bit.ly/1GDVYUu
    • RxBrad.com
Re: "Avengerless Avenger" - [9/21/15] Control Panel Assembled
« Reply #112 on: September 21, 2015, 07:13:10 pm »
Making more progress...  Printed some temporary marquee art on paper and installed it.

CP art applied, T-molding attached, and controls installed...

I bought magnets with the intention of using them to keep the CP secure, but I honestly don't think I need them.  It sits perfectly in place with just a furring strip attached to the bottom to keep it from sliding off the front of the cab.

The control panel can also be moved to sit on top of the cab.

I cut a flat panel from a piece of 3/4" melamine-coated shelf.  This can be swapped with the CP to provide a surface for KB/mouse gaming.  It's only temporarily white.  It'll get vinyl art applied when I order the side art.

stigzler

• Offline Offline
    • Mago Arcade
« Reply #113 on: September 22, 2015, 05:47:14 pm »
I do like this build. Good work.  :applaud:

Xerobull

• Offline Offline
  • Push it to the limit.
    • Pedestal Xero
« Reply #114 on: September 22, 2015, 05:53:31 pm »

I cut a flat panel from a piece of 3/4" melamine-coated shelf.  This can be swapped with the CP to provide a surface for KB/mouse gaming.  It's only temporarily white.  It'll get vinyl art applied when I order the side art.

Looking really good!

Sell me on using a flat surface for KB/Mouse vs just having a pull-out drawer? What are the pros?

RxBrad

• Offline Offline
  • I like burritos.
    • bit.ly/1GDVYUu
    • RxBrad.com
« Reply #115 on: September 22, 2015, 06:23:21 pm »

Looking really good!

Sell me on using a flat surface for KB/Mouse vs just having a pull-out drawer? What are the pros?

Thanks!

The way I'm doing it, the KB/mouse are at optimal height and angle. Drawers are often placed awkwardly.

RxBrad

• Offline Offline
  • I like burritos.
    • bit.ly/1GDVYUu
    • RxBrad.com
Re: "Avengerless Avenger" - [9/23/15] Speaker Cover; Crappy Hinges
« Reply #116 on: September 23, 2015, 07:37:51 pm »
Finished the speaker cover. Sprayed the back surface of the 1/4" cutout I'd created with glue. Then wrapped it in speaker fabric and adhered the fabric to the back of the cutout. Hammered in the plastic attachment pins, and pressed it into place on the cab.

Also attached the front door using these godawful piece of crap Liberty surface mount inset hinges.

I'm sorry, but these things suck. I weighed the door, and at 12lbs, it was in the lower end of the weight range where they recommend 3 hinges. It still sags, and has a little over a quarter inch of vertical play. Despite being inset hinges, and my door only being inset about 1/4" from the side panels, the door doesn't totally clear the sides. And that's with the door mounted 1/8" out from where I wanted it. Apparently you have to mount it with the front of the door flush with the front of the side boards for it to work.

Anyone have any recommendations on different hinges?  If I used piano hinges on the top of the door and had it hang down, would that be structurally sound? Or would the door eventually fall off the screws?
« Last Edit: September 24, 2015, 07:54:03 pm by RxBrad »

RxBrad

• Offline Offline
  • I like burritos.
    • bit.ly/1GDVYUu
    • RxBrad.com
Re: "Avengerless Avenger" - [9/24/15] Some Hinge Advice Please?
« Reply #117 on: September 24, 2015, 07:41:12 pm »
So, I took the front door back off, and the hinges are on their way to Home Depot's return counter. It doesn't look like any of the hardware stores in town have any other choices for inset hinges.

Would this hinge work for my front door? (3/4" thick, front face of door is a little over 1/4" back from front of side panels)

Looks like showing the hinge.

EDIT: Welp.. I ordered it. Guess I'll find out if it works.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2015, 08:43:26 pm by RxBrad »

harveybirdman

• Offline Offline
  • SHMUP'EM
« Reply #118 on: September 24, 2015, 09:44:41 pm »
I used these but then again I dropped my flap. Yours doesn't open that way.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2015, 09:47:39 pm by harveybirdman »

ChanceKJ

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 07, 2021, 02:52:06 pm
« Reply #119 on: September 24, 2015, 09:51:59 pm »
take a look at Blum (or Euro) hinges from here: http://www.leevalley.com/US/hardware/page.aspx?p=55420&cat=3,41241

Maybe get yourself one of these from IKEA too so you don't need a handle. I used them on the lower panel for my FLYNNs build.
http://www.ikea.com/ca/en/catalog/products/80230224/

RxBrad

• Offline Offline
  • I like burritos.
    • bit.ly/1GDVYUu
    • RxBrad.com
« Reply #120 on: September 25, 2015, 06:11:47 am »
take a look at Blum (or Euro) hinges from here: http://www.leevalley.com/US/hardware/page.aspx?p=55420&cat=3,41241

The one I ordered seems to follow the same general principle as the Blum hinges. Hopefully it'll work. I'll do a quick test mount on some scrap wood before I get too far into mounting them.

If these hinges end up as a loss, those 170° Blum hinges look like they'd easily do the trick, based on the opening diagrams.

RxBrad

• Offline Offline
  • I like burritos.
    • bit.ly/1GDVYUu
    • RxBrad.com
Re: "Avengerless Avenger" - [9/27/15] Soldering Up the Connections
« Reply #121 on: September 27, 2015, 09:15:19 pm »
Because the control panel is detachable, the controls need a way to be easily unhooked and reattached. I decided I'd use a couple male-to-female parallel cables. Cut the cable in half, attach the exposed wires of one half to the IPAC, attach the wires on the other half to the switches on the CP. The male and female ends plug together to hook everything up.

Each parallel cable has 25 wires inside. I'm using two cables - one for each player. Each player needs 14 switches attached, plus a ground wire (so there will be unused wires).

Unfortunately, the wires inside the parallel cables are ridiculously thin -- something like 26 gauge. A cleanly stripped wire has maybe a half dozen filaments of wire. So, in order to connect to the switches/IPAC, I have to solder a thicker wire to each wire.

15 wires per cut cable end. Four cut cable ends. Approximately a metric F-ton of soldering to do.

JDFan

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 21, 2023, 04:07:42 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #122 on: September 27, 2015, 09:54:05 pm »
Each parallel cable has 25 wires inside. I'm using two cables - one for each player. Each player needs 14 switches attached, plus a ground wire (so there will be unused wires).

Unfortunately, the wires inside the parallel cables are ridiculously thin -- something like 26 gauge.

Since the cable has 25 wires inside and you are only using 15 - you could double up the major ones (ie. esp. the ground wire) and use 2 or 3 of the small wires for each end so that you have a thicker wire to solder to !!

RxBrad

• Offline Offline
  • I like burritos.
    • bit.ly/1GDVYUu
    • RxBrad.com
« Reply #123 on: September 28, 2015, 05:17:02 am »

Unfortunately, the wires inside the parallel cables are ridiculously thin -- something like 26 gauge.

Since the cable has 25 wires inside and you are only using 15 - you could double up the major ones (ie. esp. the ground wire) and use 2 or 3 of the small wires for each end so that you have a thicker wire to solder to !!

That's a really good idea. I'll do that. Thanks!

RxBrad

• Offline Offline
  • I like burritos.
    • bit.ly/1GDVYUu
    • RxBrad.com
« Reply #124 on: September 29, 2015, 08:05:24 pm »
Reinstalled the front door with the new hinges. Still needs a tad of adjusting, but much better.

I went into a little more detail on installing the door here in the Woodworking forum.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2015, 09:34:26 pm by RxBrad »

Xerobull

• Offline Offline
  • Push it to the limit.
    • Pedestal Xero
« Reply #125 on: September 29, 2015, 09:50:42 pm »
Nice work with the hinges- very clean.

RxBrad

• Offline Offline
  • I like burritos.
    • bit.ly/1GDVYUu
    • RxBrad.com
Re: "Avengerless Avenger" - [10/3/15] STILL Soldering Up the Connections
« Reply #126 on: October 03, 2015, 07:22:58 pm »
Player 1 wiring completed. 

"Don't start playing, Brad.  Finish the cab, Brad.  If you start playing now, you'll never finish this, Brad..."

Also secured the speakers.  Using plastic hanger straps, screwed into place with EZ-Loks and screws.  Will use the same technique on the monitor.

« Last Edit: October 03, 2015, 09:34:56 pm by RxBrad »

RxBrad

• Offline Offline
  • I like burritos.
    • bit.ly/1GDVYUu
    • RxBrad.com
« Reply #127 on: October 08, 2015, 12:27:03 pm »

I couldn't help myself. I had to try it out (with the CP sitting awkwardly in my lap).

Aside from needing to swap the DOWN & RIGHT wires on my IPAC, everything worked great. Even though I tested everything with a circuit tester, I had this bad feeling the parallel cables wouldn't work. They worked great!

Currently about 3/4 finished with the wiring. Then, all I really have left is the marquee and sideart (and the T-molding to help hold the sideart securely in place)

reptileink

• Offline Offline
  • An 8 bit hero
« Reply #128 on: October 08, 2015, 12:53:14 pm »
Mighty impressed with how clean your wiring is! I don't have that patience sadly. I wired up one side of my CP and it looks like spaghetti....lol. I just plan on cable tying bunches together in random order...lol. Nice work!  :applaud:

RxBrad

• Offline Offline
  • I like burritos.
    • bit.ly/1GDVYUu
    • RxBrad.com
« Reply #129 on: October 08, 2015, 01:13:12 pm »
Mighty impressed with how clean your wiring is! I don't have that patience sadly. I wired up one side of my CP and it looks like spaghetti....lol. I just plan on cable tying bunches together in random order...lol. Nice work!  :applaud:

Thanks...  Luckily for me, the way it's wired, it's actually difficult to not have it be organized.  It all has to converge into the parallel cable. 

The only part of the wiring that's really secured to anything is the two clips on the grey main part of the wire, which are mainly to prevent accidental tension on the rest of the wiring.  Other than that, everything was just cut to the right length, and tucked under the quick disconnects.  I got lucky with the ground wire daisy chain, and was able to tuck it under the switches fairly cleanly.

reptileink

• Offline Offline
  • An 8 bit hero
« Reply #130 on: October 08, 2015, 01:17:36 pm »
Yea, I don't have a crimping tool, so I just bought a Jamma harness and used the pre-molded connectors to do mine. Downside was that the wires were longer. I can cut them down though, as I am using the Ipac too. I just did a test wiring for now as I am overhauling the entire cabinet so I will most likely have to disconnect them at some point....after a few dozen hours of playing...lol

RxBrad

• Offline Offline
  • I like burritos.
    • bit.ly/1GDVYUu
    • RxBrad.com
« Reply #131 on: October 08, 2015, 01:24:07 pm »
Yea, I don't have a crimping tool

Yeah.. Neither do I.   I just smooshed the disconnects onto the wires with the plier grips at the tip of my el-cheapo wire strippers.

I'm sure this is the appropriate response to me doing it this way....  :whap

...but it works.   ;D

RxBrad

• Offline Offline
  • I like burritos.
    • bit.ly/1GDVYUu
    • RxBrad.com
Re: "Avengerless Avenger" - [10/11/15] Wiring Finished. 95% Complete.
« Reply #132 on: October 11, 2015, 09:02:53 pm »
Wiring is complete. Including this passthrough cable which nondestructively adds a power button for my PC on the outside of my cab.

Cut a length of speaker wire. Take a breadboard connection wire, cut it in half, and solder both halves to one end of the wire. Attach a quick disconnect to the other. Repeat for the other wire in the speaker wire pair.

The breadboard wire goes between the existing case/motherboard power button connection on my PC. The quick disconnect goes to a regular arcade button on the back of my cab.

Now I need to haul the cab down into my basement and hook up all of the electronics. Then I just have to order the side art, and install it along with the T-molding.

RxBrad

• Offline Offline
  • I like burritos.
    • bit.ly/1GDVYUu
    • RxBrad.com
« Reply #133 on: October 12, 2015, 08:16:33 am »
Took a quick picture this morning with my potatophone to show what the cab looks like overall right now...

harveybirdman

• Offline Offline
  • SHMUP'EM
« Reply #134 on: October 12, 2015, 10:13:17 am »
Too bad I can't see it at work  ;D

For you I suppose I'll expend the data to look it up on my phone.

RxBrad

• Offline Offline
  • I like burritos.
    • bit.ly/1GDVYUu
    • RxBrad.com
« Reply #135 on: October 12, 2015, 10:18:31 am »
Hmmph..  Who'da thought imgur would be blocked...

Fine...  I'll use the picture thread from now on.. grumble-grumble-2MB limit-grumble-grumble

JDFan

• Offline Offline
« Reply #136 on: October 12, 2015, 11:14:12 am »
Because the control panel is detachable, the controls need a way to be easily unhooked and reattached. I decided I'd use a couple male-to-female parallel cables. Cut the cable in half, attach the exposed wires of one half to the IPAC, attach the wires on the other half to the switches on the CP. The male and female ends plug together to hook everything up.

Unfortunately, the wires inside the parallel cables are ridiculously thin -- something like 26 gauge. A cleanly stripped wire has maybe a half dozen filaments of wire. So, in order to connect to the switches/IPAC, I have to solder a thicker wire to each wire.

15 wires per cut cable end. Four cut cable ends. Approximately a metric F-ton of soldering to do.

THanks for the Idea - I was looking for something similar and after seeing this I came across these DB9 connectors for $1.04 a piece for Male and $1.25 for Female with solderless connectors which save some of the soldering work but takes an extra connection since they only run 9 wires rather than 15

and then found some cheap used DB9 6 foot cables for another $1.58

So for about $4 per 9 connections it makes a nice clean way to run the cables from CP to System and dramatically cuts down on the soldering  ( Crimp a Quick disconnect to the Buttons/joys microswitch wires - run to the DB9 screw terminal mounted to the CP on one end and from the db9 screw terminal to the encoder on the other and it makes a nice clean detacheable CP ! 

RxBrad

• Offline Offline
  • I like burritos.
    • bit.ly/1GDVYUu
    • RxBrad.com
« Reply #137 on: October 12, 2015, 11:24:42 am »
Interesting. 

Too late for me, but I wonder if they have a DB25 version.  Most people not using 8 buttons ( :whap ) on their CP layout could probably get away with using just one cable that way.

EDIT: Yup, they exist.  Found a few by Googling "solderless DB25".

EDIT2: And they technically give you 26 connections per wire, since they have a connector for the ground wire (which I didn't use, since it isn't insulated when you cut open the wire).
« Last Edit: October 12, 2015, 11:39:48 am by RxBrad »

JDFan

• Offline Offline
« Reply #138 on: October 12, 2015, 11:44:28 am »
Interesting. 

Too late for me, but I wonder if they have a DB25 version.  Most people not using 8 buttons ( :whap ) on their CP layout could probably get away with using just one cable that way.

EDIT: Yup, they exist.  Found a few by Googling "solderless DB25".

Yeah they also have DB15's which would probably work well but they are about $6 each rather than $1. (not sure what the DB25's are running) I'm gonna be using them in a build with a Pac Man plug and play that has a joystick and 2 buttons so the 9 wires are enough to run the 5 for the joystick and 3 for the buttons (using common ground for the joystick and for the buttons at the DB9 connections) I think this will work good for it (still waiting on the parts from CHINA) - Figure I'll use one connector on each end and modify the Plug and play case with the DB9 connector so it can remain in the case and be removeable if wanted.

ALso went with the DB9's since I often use CAT5 cables for the button connections and it has 8 wires inside so the DB9's work well with it also ( figure cut one end of the CAT5 cable and add QD's to goto the microswitches and cut to size and connect the other end of that cable to the solderless DB9 and it keeps the CP pretty Tidy with just the insulated CAT5 cable.)
« Last Edit: October 12, 2015, 11:53:58 am by JDFan »

RxBrad

• Offline Offline
  • I like burritos.
    • bit.ly/1GDVYUu
    • RxBrad.com
Re: "Avengerless Avenger" - [10/13/15] It's aliiiive!
« Reply #139 on: October 13, 2015, 07:27:24 pm »
So, I still have to fiddle with the software a bit (the secondary screen still needs some configuration), but it works! Played a little Ms. Pacman and some Marvel vs. Capcom tonight.

As I suspected, the viewing angles on the 7" screen are super disappointing. You have to squat down about a foot to really see it. That's kind of a bummer.

Advice for anyone building their first cab: you REALLY want a 4 way stick if you want to play the classics. Trying to play Ms. Pacman with an 8-way restrictor is a nightmare. Glad I got a 4/8-way switchable stick.

Going to order my side art in the next week or so. I'm on the home stretch...

scoodidabop

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 09:10:57 pm
« Reply #140 on: October 13, 2015, 07:39:02 pm »
So, I still have to fiddle with the software a bit (the secondary screen still needs some configuration), but it works! Played a little Ms. Pacman and some Marvel vs. Capcom tonight.

As I suspected, the viewing angles on the 7" screen are super disappointing. You have to squat down about a foot to really see it. That's kind of a bummer.

Advice for anyone building their first cab: you REALLY want a 4 way stick if you want to play the classics. Trying to play Ms. Pacman with an 8-way restrictor is a nightmare. Glad I got a 4/8-way switchable stick.

Going to order my side art in the next week or so. I'm on the home stretch...

Are you just running CPwiz on the 7" screen? I'm wondering what else I might display on my 7" LCD now that I'm thinking of adding one.

RxBrad

• Offline Offline
  • I like burritos.
    • bit.ly/1GDVYUu
    • RxBrad.com
« Reply #141 on: October 13, 2015, 07:46:01 pm »
Are you just running CPwiz on the 7" screen? I'm wondering what else I might display on my 7" LCD now that I'm thinking of adding one.

I'm using GameEx as the frontend, and have the GameExtender feature turned on, displaying on the secondary screen. I was also playing around with a Game Info plugin for GameExtender. Not sure if I'll keep it enabled.

My current plan is to use CPwiz to create PNGs for each game's controls, then make GameExtender show those when the game is launched. 

Stigzler has a modded version of CPwiz that I mean to check out also that might work better.

RxBrad

• Offline Offline
  • I like burritos.
    • bit.ly/1GDVYUu
    • RxBrad.com
« Reply #142 on: October 13, 2015, 08:10:13 pm »
What's an easy way in MAME to make all 6-button games use a different button layout than other games?

Here's my default layout:

I'd like six button games to use this:
123*
456*

stigzler

• Offline Offline
    • Mago Arcade
« Reply #143 on: October 14, 2015, 03:04:54 am »
Just released the new version if any use....

RxBrad

• Offline Offline
  • I like burritos.
    • bit.ly/1GDVYUu
    • RxBrad.com
« Reply #144 on: October 15, 2015, 07:36:15 pm »
What's an easy way in MAME to make all 6-button games use a different button layout than other games?

Here's my default layout:

I'd like six button games to use this:
123*
456*

Came up with a solution.  First, I ran a 6 button game in MAME and configured the buttons the way I wanted.  I exited MAME, and then went into my MAME /cfg folder and pulled out the .cfg file for that game, making a copy of it called sixbutton.cfg.

Then I used ROMlister to make a batch file of all of the 6-button games in my library, using the following parameters: (in my case, the game I configured the buttons for was Street Fighter Alpha 2.  You'd change sfa2 below to whatever ROM you manually mapped the buttons on.)

Code: [Select]
(Get-Content sixbutton.cfg) |  ForEach-Object { $_ -replace "sfa2", "%ROM%" } |  Set-Content %ROM%.cfg
Then I renamed the file from a .bat to a .ps1 file, so it would be run by Windows PowerShell.  I put this file, along with sixbutton.cfg in my cfg folder and ran it.  This made a copy of the sixbutton.cfg file for each 6-button game, and correctly updated the "system" XML parameter in each file.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2015, 07:39:37 pm by RxBrad »

RxBrad

• Offline Offline
  • I like burritos.
    • bit.ly/1GDVYUu
    • RxBrad.com
« Reply #145 on: October 16, 2015, 09:27:16 am »
Just released the new version if any use....

Thanks. I grabbed a copy and am working on setting it up.

If anyone else gives CPWizBiz a try, the documentation and videos on stigzler's site are a must (and they're actually really helpful).

RxBrad

• Offline Offline
  • I like burritos.
    • bit.ly/1GDVYUu
    • RxBrad.com
Re: "Avengerless Avenger" - [10/26/15] Sideart in the Mail
« Reply #146 on: October 26, 2015, 10:43:35 am »
Submitted my order to Souldraw Friday night around 9:30pm for my sideart, marquee, and a vinyl overlay for the keyboard/mouse panel.  Total price came up to $88.46, including shipping.  This was my printing job list:

1. FINAL_Arcade_Side_Art_LEFT_200dpi.tif / qty1 / 39" x 74" / vinyl sticker (black adhesive) / matte lamination
2. FINAL_Arcade_Side_Art_RIGHT_200dpi.tif / qty1 / 29" x 74" / vinyl sticker (black adhesive) / matte lamination
3. FINAL_Arcade_Marquee_300dpi.tif / qty1 / 25" x 6" / backlit PVC film / glossy lamination

This morning (Monday), I just got an email with a photo & tracking number, letting me know it's on the way.  Nice.

RxBrad

• Offline Offline
  • I like burritos.
    • bit.ly/1GDVYUu
    • RxBrad.com
Re: "Avengerless Avenger" - [11/4/15] 99% Done!
« Reply #147 on: November 04, 2015, 11:15:53 am »
Got my side art from Souldraw.  I'm really happy with it, especially considering that it cost me just under $90 shipped for full sideart and marquee art.  The quality on the marquee was just "okay" - it has a few flaws.  I went into a little more detail on the art here in the Artwork forum..

Will try to get a better photo when there's better lighting, and update the first post on this thread with it.

The marquee is lit with LED tape.  I also added a male/female plug to the external power switch, so I could more easily remove the PC from the cab.

My speakers have started humming in the last few days.  Still need to troubleshoot a bit, but I suspect that they don't like the marquee LED power supply being on the same power strip.  Not sure what I can do about that.

All I have left is to apply the vinyl & T-molding to the keyboard/mouse surface, and then attach a lip on the end of that same surface so nothing slides off the front of the cab and onto the floor.

RxBrad

• Offline Offline
  • I like burritos.
    • bit.ly/1GDVYUu
    • RxBrad.com
Re: "Avengerless Avenger" - [11/17/15] Finished!
« Reply #148 on: November 17, 2015, 07:46:59 am »
Have you ever noticed how, once you finish a cab, you end up playing it for hours and forgetting to post the final photo?  Forgive the potato quality.  My phone really doesn't want to take a good photo of this down in my basement.

All done.  And I even got a stool to sit in front of it from my wife for my birthday.  Now if I could only convince her that this belongs upstairs, and not in the unfinished basement.

Marquee lit and unlit. You can see the flaws in the printing from Souldraw on the lit version (horizontal smudge on the right side).  On the unlit version (look on the left side), you can kind of see the bubbling between the printed layer and the glossy lamination layer.  Maybe I'll replace it.  Maybe not.:

And here's the flat panel I can swap in for keyboard/mouse gaming.  I thought I was going to need to add a lip on the front to keep stuff from sliding off, but the "matte" vinyl surface has just enough friction to keep that from being a problem.

« Last Edit: November 17, 2015, 07:49:04 am by RxBrad »

Frank Drebin

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 11, 2022, 04:27:19 pm
« Reply #149 on: November 17, 2015, 11:07:13 am »
Really like the looks of this cabinet, especially the sideart.  Great job!

stigzler

• Offline Offline
    • Mago Arcade
« Reply #150 on: November 17, 2015, 02:05:09 pm »
Looks great. Vids?

RxBrad

• Offline Offline
  • I like burritos.
    • bit.ly/1GDVYUu
    • RxBrad.com
« Reply #151 on: November 17, 2015, 02:08:02 pm »
I should make a video, shouldn't I?  Maybe I'll get around to it tomorrow.  I'm already taking the day off to sign for the delivery on my gold PS4 I won from Taco Bell.   :burgerking:

vwalbridge

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 31, 2021, 12:21:09 pm
  • Don't half-ass two things, whole-ass one thing.
« Reply #152 on: November 17, 2015, 04:01:34 pm »
I'm already taking the day off to sign for the delivery on my gold PS4 I won from Taco Bell.   :burgerking:

Wait, people actually win with these contest?
If you can read this, it means Photobucket's money grab ruined my signature photos.

Aceldamor

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 25, 2019, 05:10:51 pm
  • You know you hear the music in your head...
« Reply #153 on: November 17, 2015, 04:34:22 pm »
What he's not telling you is that he had to eat about 7000 bucks in taco bell to win it.  >:D

Cab's looking good! Congrats on both the sweet cab and the gold PS4
Fuzzy Wuzzy was a woman!

RxBrad

• Offline Offline
  • I like burritos.
    • bit.ly/1GDVYUu
    • RxBrad.com
« Reply #154 on: November 17, 2015, 05:03:25 pm »
What he's not telling you is that he had to eat about 7000 bucks in taco bell to win it.  >:D

It was only about $6500.  And thanks.  (Yes, I'm kidding. I won on my 4th or 5th try.)

This is actually the second PS4 I've won from them over the last few years, and I won a PSVita three or four years ago.  I have a Taco Bell problem.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2015, 06:55:53 pm by RxBrad »

ZexisStryfe

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 22, 2022, 02:24:12 pm
  • Evolution has begun...
« Reply #155 on: November 22, 2015, 11:53:04 pm »

It was only about $6500.  And thanks.  (Yes, I'm kidding. I won on my 4th or 5th try.)

This is actually the second PS4 I've won from them over the last few years, and I won a PSVita three or four years ago.  I have a Taco Bell problem.

Only $6500? That is still cheaper than building an arcade cabinet! :laugh:

RxBrad

• Offline Offline
  • I like burritos.
    • bit.ly/1GDVYUu
    • RxBrad.com
« Reply #156 on: December 17, 2015, 07:35:06 pm »
Oh yeah. I forgot to link to that video.

Although judging by the YouTube comments, I see that bulbousbeard already found it without the link. Based on his reputation, I can only assume that he's the one who commented...  ::)

Rick

• Offline Offline
« Reply #157 on: December 18, 2015, 11:03:36 am »
Although judging by the YouTube comments, I see that bulbousbeard already found it without the link. Based on his reputation, I can only assume that he's the one who commented...  ::)

LOL. "Poopy pants".

:D

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #158 on: December 18, 2015, 11:35:32 am »
Oh yeah. I forgot to link to that video.

HAHAHAHA! It was him. That guy was always my favorite ---uvula---. I'm glad he's gone, however.

Rick

• Offline Offline
« Reply #159 on: December 18, 2015, 12:13:45 pm »
That guy was always my favorite ---uvula---.

But I thought I was your favourite?

;) ;D

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #160 on: December 18, 2015, 12:15:12 pm »
That guy was always my favorite ---uvula---.

But I thought I was your favourite?

;) ;D
You're not an ---uvula---, though. Fourth favorite Canadian, if that counts for anything.

Rick

• Offline Offline
« Reply #161 on: December 18, 2015, 12:37:26 pm »
You're not an ---uvula---, though.

I may just add this to my signature line. For posterity. Appreciated!

:D

Fourth favorite Canadian, if that counts for anything.

This one brought a tear to my eye. ;) Thanks, man!

DeLuSioNal29

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 20, 2023, 11:39:06 pm
  • Build the impossible -"There is no Spoon"
    • DeLuSioNaL's YouTube Videos
« Reply #162 on: December 18, 2015, 12:45:50 pm »
Looks great!  Just watched your video on Youtube and left my own comments.  LOL.

Nice!

D
Stop by my Youtube channel and leave a comment:

vwalbridge

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 31, 2021, 12:21:09 pm
  • Don't half-ass two things, whole-ass one thing.
« Reply #163 on: December 18, 2015, 12:52:37 pm »
Looks nice! Always like it when builders wrap up with a demo video.

I've always wondered why a 2nd monitor would be necessary but you have certainly demonstrated its usefulness and practicality.  :cheers:
If you can read this, it means Photobucket's money grab ruined my signature photos.

Frank Drebin

• Offline Offline
« Reply #164 on: December 18, 2015, 01:45:33 pm »
The cables you used - were they just db25 extension cables?

RxBrad

• Offline Offline
  • I like burritos.
    • bit.ly/1GDVYUu
    • RxBrad.com
« Reply #165 on: December 21, 2015, 10:35:51 am »
Thanks, all... Now I need to look through my profile settings and try to figure out what a --uvula-- is.   :D

(EDIT: Aha..  I thought so.  Although the uvula is actually on the other end, you know......)

The cables you used - were they just db25 extension cables?

Yup.  3ft M/F DB25 cables.  Monoprice.com part #1591, to be exact.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2015, 10:37:44 am by RxBrad »

Frank Drebin

• Offline Offline
« Reply #166 on: December 21, 2015, 12:42:30 pm »
Thanks!  Love Monoprice.

RxBrad

• Offline Offline
  • I like burritos.
    • bit.ly/1GDVYUu
    • RxBrad.com
« Reply #167 on: February 19, 2016, 11:58:27 am »

Thoughts after a couple months of use....
  • I swapped in this USB-powered LED tape to light the marquee.  The speaker hum I'd complained about is now gone.  I wish I'd have bought that in the first place, as it's half the price of the LED tape + power supply I originally bought.
  • My sister-in-law was playing some Frogger, and she's a huge spazz with the joystick.  I need to install some kind of bracket on the CP box to keep the detachable control panel from sliding back toward the inside of the cab when someone slams the joystick upwards really hard.  Should be easy enough.
  • Even though the mouse/keyboard surface was copied directly from the control panel using the router's flush-trim bit, it fits a lot tighter than the CP does.  Too tight, really.  I need to trim about 1/16" off the width of the KB/mouse panel (hopefully without ruining the vinyl that's on it).
  • It's easy enough to reach under the CP to switch between 4 & 8-way mode on the OMNI2 stick, but I'm really wishing I'd used a ServoStik for Player 1.  Looks like the mounting plate is the same size as the OMNI2 -- but I have a bad feeling I didn't leave enough room on the side to fit the servo mechanism (I'm certain there isn't enough room between the stick and the buttons).
  • On my next go-around, I think I can nix the front door.  It's not bad having it there; but as often as I need to get into the cab, backdoor access would've been just fine.
  • Occasionally, my cab turns itself on from complete power-down.  Nothing in the BIOS seems to allow this, nor do any of the component power settings in Windows (ethernet, etc).  Clearly this is because my house is haunted.  (Or maybe a short in the power switch on my crappy PC case; or maybe the power supply in the PC is flaky.  I'm going with ghosts, though.)
A co-worker apparently has access to free Pi2 boards(!).  Between that and the 19" 4:3 monitor I picked up over the summer, I now have visions of bartops in my head...
« Last Edit: February 19, 2016, 12:00:27 pm by RxBrad »

stigzler

• Offline Offline
    • Mago Arcade
« Reply #168 on: February 20, 2016, 05:18:51 am »
On the last snag, who ya gonna call?
« Last Edit: February 20, 2016, 05:20:32 am by stigzler »

sollyscomputers

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 06, 2019, 01:31:51 am
  • Jukebox? check! Now on to cocktail cab
    • Softweb Developments
Re: "Avengerless Avenger" - [6/7/15] Joysticks Routed, Admin Panel w/Plexi
« Reply #169 on: February 25, 2016, 10:21:06 pm »

If I'd have bought a top-bearing bit in the first place, I could have avoided so many of the mishaps I've run into.  Trying to awkwardly position templates underneath your work where you cant see them; or trying to balance your work on scraps so it's level.  This all just leads to trouble.  :banghead:

Sure, this thing worked great for trimming the plexi to fit my admin panel, and it will probably work well to trim my CP/AP graphics to fit.  But aside from that, it can go eff itself.

Friends don't let friends try doing template work with bottom-bearing flush trim bits.

Grrr.

I use bottom bearing trim bit also, but I use it on my router table which mounts upside down making it a top bearing trim bit

RxBrad

• Offline Offline
  • I like burritos.
    • bit.ly/1GDVYUu
    • RxBrad.com
« Reply #170 on: October 17, 2016, 02:54:29 pm »
Almost a year later....  I realized that by flipping the 7" display upside-down, it is now perfectly viewable.  Before, I had to stoop down to see it.  Took a bit of Dremeling to get it in there; but it's much better now.

So, just a reminder to everyone to check the viewing angles of their monitors.  They might look better mounted upside down.

Also, I was eventually able to track down my cab turning itself on to a BIOS setting on the motherboard in my PC.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2016, 02:59:59 pm by RxBrad »

stigzler

• Offline Offline
    • Mago Arcade
« Reply #171 on: October 17, 2016, 03:05:40 pm »
Cool beans. Saves turning your cab upside-down.

skmastaz

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 05, 2016, 05:43:40 pm
« Reply #172 on: October 17, 2016, 09:13:48 pm »
I'm so glad I found this thread. I'm in the design stage of my cabinet and I LOVE the admin panel! I am stealing your idea for sure. Awesome job. Super clean. I love it!

Vincefaro

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 09, 2023, 04:52:36 pm
« Reply #173 on: October 19, 2016, 01:38:56 pm »
Excellent Cab. The graphics are very clean . I like the admin panel too.

RxBrad

• Offline Offline
  • I like burritos.
    • bit.ly/1GDVYUu
    • RxBrad.com
« Reply #174 on: January 11, 2021, 01:37:57 pm »
She's still alive and kicking.  And she has a newly-finished basement to live in.  I even built a little side table using some of the newer, cooler tools I've collected in the last 5 years, since I didn't want to profane my cab with a cupholder.

Aside from occasionally getting the urge to redo the control panel so I can fit in a Servo-Stik, I'm happy with all of the decisions I made.  I did look through my build pics here, and I cringe a little at my lack of woodworking skills back then.  It's a wonder that I didn't kill myself with that jalopy of a router I was using.

wp34

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 10, 2022, 09:48:19 pm
« Reply #175 on: January 11, 2021, 01:45:27 pm »
Not sure how I missed this one.   That's a very nice clean design and I really like your admin panel.   :cheers:

RxBrad

• Offline Offline
  • I like burritos.
    • bit.ly/1GDVYUu
    • RxBrad.com
« Reply #176 on: March 23, 2022, 02:13:41 pm »
I'm doing some PC upgrades, and my now-aging MAME cab got fresh hand-me-down PC upgrades out of the deal (from a Pentium G3258 to a Ryzen 1600)...  I wiped the old PC back to a fresh Windows install, and decided I'd have a better time unloading it on Facebook Marketplace if it had an OS and a PC case. 

So, no PC case inside my cab anymore, because what's the point when you can bolt everything to the cab itself.  And I decided to go with an Ubuntu OS install on the new hardware (I know I could just use un-activated Windows forever, but where's the fun in that?).  This has been.... an adventure.  I'm about 2 weeks in, and I think I have about 75% of the software configuration work done.  Anyone who tries to say that any flavor Linux is ready for prime-time with normies is full of  :censored: .

Stuff I've Done (that I really should've taken notes on):
  • Basic Ubuntu configuration ---smurf-poo---
  • Installed & configured MAME & AttractMode (harder than it sounds)
  • Culled MAME full ROMset down to something mostly manageable (via ROMLister in Wine and the "All Killer No Filler" list here on BYOAC) -- Fun Fact: For whatever reason, AttractMode in Ubuntu is unable to "see" any ROMs that you copy to a folder via automated Bash script.  You have to use "cp -r /path/to/sourceRoms/{comma.zip,delineated.zip,list.zip} /path/to/destinationRoms/" in the Terminal
  • Tweaked AttractMode Nevato theme to work on dual monitors (without the display getting all jacked up when coming out of games)
Stuff to do still:
  • Get the network mount to my SMB shares working consistently
  • Try and get any Windows/GameEx functionality I previously used working with AttractMode/Linux (getting the last-played game's marquee auto-embedded on my-blog-that-nobody-reads is about my last hurdle)
  • Autoboot into AttractMode (shouldn't be too hard)
  • Batch-reconfigure controls for stuff like Street Fighter, and re-generate the control panel instruction cards (that display in the admin panel) which I neglected to archive (Hopefully CPWizard works in Wine)