Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: A question about Lightguns from the Long Before Time (Rolling X question)  (Read 1484 times)

Finish him!

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 20, 2015, 02:17:36 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Hello Dear Users of this Arcade forum

Since i'm a kid from the 80s i've grown up with Arcade Halls and Games, after realizing true (or as perfect as can be) arcade simulation was possible, me and a friend couldn't wait to get a project realized.

A few years later, after research that my brother had done, finding out it was possible to use PS2 lightguns on a PC, i offcourse felt the same excitement as before, since Lightguns were probably my Fav Arcade games (does it show i'm a poor gamer?  :D ).

Anyway, now for the question i started this post

Why are Arcade Monitors, the only monitors out there, that don't have the "Rolling X" problem?

I own two official NPC-106 guncons, that both have this "Rolling X" problem. Which kinda limits my choice in Drivers.
Now the Wingun Driver is nice, i like the fact that someone found a "way around the problem", though to my (limited) knowledge, with that driver, i won't be able to get constant tracking with 2 Players in positional gun games + in "Rolling X mode" you can only enter the sides of the screen, which in my view, isn't true enough for a "true lightgun arcade experience" (i'm quite OCD when it comes to this)

So again, Why are Arcade Monitors, the only Monitors that (possibly) won't have this problem?

Now my Specs are:
Wells Gardner DG 9400
ArcadeVGA 3000
AMD FX-4100
Asus M5A78L USB3
4 GB RAM
Windows XP x86
(The Required Circuit to get the Guns working trough a VGA Connection)

PS. I know i own a Trisync monitor, though i wonder, if i don't use the Trisync utility which is provided with the arcadevga, isn't the Trisync monitor in a "arcade monitor state"? or am i wrong about this?

Any help on this is greatly appreaciated + i already want to thank every user on here for providing so much knowledge, it's because of that reason it took this long for my very first post.

burn_654

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 06, 2024, 03:31:13 pm
Hi there - I use Wingun on my cab with a 15khz arcade monitor.

It was my understanding that the rolling-x behavior will happen regardless of if you're using an arcade monitor or not (such as if you're outputting to a crt tv.)

That said, I have the rolling x issues with official guncons on my monitor. The namco guns track very accurately but if you bring them out of view and bring them back in from above or below the crt the aim will be off a few inches for at least couple shots. Third-party guns seem not to exhibit this at all so I've been testing using two third-party guns with wingun.

Hope this helps!

mikeybionic

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 18, 2015, 04:06:28 am
  • master button pusher
hey finish him!
i've been struggling hard to get guncon2s to work on a regular pc (non-arcade) monitor.
while i have yet to get it working, i can give u the lowdown on rolling x.
arcade monitors and regular tvs use a 15kHz h-sync signal.
this means a horizontal sync pulse is sent 15000 times per second.
pc monitors use a 31kHz h-sync signal (31000 h-syncs per second) which is twice as much.
guncon2s were made to accept the 15kHz signal so when u send them twice as many sync pulses they get overwhelmed.
horizontal sync is associated with the x-axis of movement and the guns cant keep up so they have the rolling x problem.
looking at ur specs u have the ability to run ur monitor at 15kHz.
ive never messed with and arcadevga card but take a look through the options.

Finish him!

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 20, 2015, 02:17:36 pm
Thanks for the responses Mikeybionic and Burn_654.

Yeah it seems that on the official Wingun page (accesable trough the way back machine), has got a bit off a translation error, I thought there was a way somehow to get no Rolling X problems using an arcade monitor with the official guncons. Seems i was wrong about this, though this whole process of trail and error must be easy peasy compared to what people went trough in 2006.

Anyway, i bought myself 2 Madcatz PS2 blasters from ebay, i'm extremely pleased with these guns because they don't show the rolling X problem (so they are default in 50/60Hz mode), the guns also don't lock up, neither with the wingun driver or Smogs driver, so in general i'm extremely pleased with these lightguns, i only need to properly calibrate the guns with smogs driver, and then the project is as good as finished

Again thanks for the helpfull comments
ps, i've been making a pdf with pretty much all of the information i could find about the guncon, madcatz blaster, drivers and emulation settings, i thought it would come in handy for myself since finding information about this can be a major pain in the ass.