Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Ultimarc Update  (Read 34033 times)

AndyWarne

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 11, 2021, 03:37:09 am
    • Ultimarc
Ultimarc Update
« on: December 24, 2014, 07:35:28 am »
Firstly, Seasons greetings to all our customers and thanks for your support over the years!

As we close at the end of another year I would just like to mention some changes for 2015.

The I-PAC 2, I-PAC 4, J-PAC and Mini-PAC boards will be different from now on.
No change in the number of inputs but now, all inputs can be configured as keyboard, mouse, gamepad button, volume up/down, sleep, wake, power. Macro capabilities are greatly expanded.

The older WinIPAC utility has been replaced with the newer version which is already used on the I-PAC Ultimate I/O board.
This auto-detects the board type and has fully interactive configuration as it reads/writes the board config on the fly. There is no "program board" button, changes are applied interactively.

The new I-PAC 2 also interfaces trackball and spinner.

The new I-PAC 2 has an on-board high-speed expansion interface which connects to a new console adaptor. This can be switched to Xbox360, Playstation 3 or PC XInput mode. The existing console adaptors which use the PS/2 interface will be phased out.

The price of the new boards are slightly lower than the older USB versions.

The long-awaited rotary joystick upgrade for Ultrastik 360, Servostik and J-Stik will be available in January.

Have a great 2015!

Andy

TimeCrisis

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 22, 2023, 04:32:47 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Re: Ultimarc Update
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2014, 07:51:07 am »
Would you offer a service where I could send you a namco gun and you would apply the recoil kit mod to it along with aimtrak OEM module?

obviously you would use the solenoid from the namco gun and not the recoil kits solenoid.

Locke141

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 03, 2024, 06:00:00 am
  • Never grow up.
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2014, 08:50:32 am »
Would you offer a service where I could send you a namco gun and you would apply the recoil kit mod to it along with aimtrak OEM module?

obviously you would use the solenoid from the namco gun and not the recoil kits solenoid.

You should email Andy directly or PM him for this kind of question as this topic is about the I-pac line.

Andy this is great news. Can you post a pic? If I upgrade to a new I-pac 4 can I config it so my PC thinks it's 4 xbox controllers?

AndyWarne

• Offline Offline
    • Ultimarc
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2014, 09:16:02 am »

You should email Andy directly or PM him for this kind of question as this topic is about the I-pac line.

Andy this is great news. Can you post a pic? If I upgrade to a new I-pac 4 can I config it so my PC thinks it's 4 xbox controllers?

The pictures on our website already show the new I-PAC 2 board. The way to do 4 players would be to use two I-PAC 2 boards, each connected to 2 of the new adaptors.

AndyWarne

• Offline Offline
    • Ultimarc
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2014, 09:19:04 am »

Our recoil kit wont work with the namco solenoid.
We are working towards ready-made guns with built-in recoil. Not there yet because I had a prototype USB cable made up which has the two heavy-gauge conductors for recoil power built-in to check that it didnt cause issues on the USB bus but it did, mainly because the cable manufacturers didnt follow my specification.
So I have another sample on the way.

thatpurplestuff

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 07:49:12 pm
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2014, 09:46:42 am »
Hey Andy,

Any word on the RGB illuminated handles for the ServoStik?  Been meaning to pick a few ServoStik's up as a Christmas present to myself, but I wanted to wait to do one big order and they've been out of stock for the last few weeks.  Happy holidays!

So once again, we find that evil of the past seeps into the present like salad dressing through cheap wax paper, mixing memory and desire.

DarthMarino

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 06:51:56 am
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2014, 09:59:53 am »
I'm definitely interested in the rotary stick upgrades.

pbj

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 03:47:56 pm
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2014, 10:05:38 am »
No change in the number of inputs but now, all inputs can be configured as keyboard, mouse, gamepad button, volume up/down, sleep, wake, power. Macro capabilities are greatly expanded.

Are you saying one board can have inputs read by the computer as multiple devices?  Or that your board can be programmed to emulate one of a list of multiple devices?  If it's the former, that would be a nice improvement.

AndyWarne

• Offline Offline
    • Ultimarc
« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2014, 10:49:07 am »

Are you saying one board can have inputs read by the computer as multiple devices?  Or that your board can be programmed to emulate one of a list of multiple devices?  If it's the former, that would be a nice improvement.

You can mix any of the controls mentioned, on one board.

AndyWarne

• Offline Offline
    • Ultimarc
« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2014, 10:51:22 am »
Hey Andy,

Any word on the RGB illuminated handles for the ServoStik?  Been meaning to pick a few ServoStik's up as a Christmas present to myself, but I wanted to wait to do one big order and they've been out of stock for the last few weeks.  Happy holidays!

Yes these have been somewhat sporadic since we launched them. We have been awaiting supply of the 4-way jack connectors and these are due in from the manufacturers on 30 Dec, so we should have these quite soon after we reopen in Jan.

Slippyblade

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 16, 2023, 11:39:51 am
  • And to the death god we say, "Not today!"
« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2014, 10:53:09 am »
You can mix any of the controls mentioned, on one board.
Oh.  That's kind of...  awesome.

tkropp17

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 02, 2017, 01:52:18 pm
  • Can't figure out how to change my username
« Reply #11 on: December 24, 2014, 11:17:37 am »
Can this board now be directly plugged into an xbox 360 after being programed?

AndyWarne

• Offline Offline
    • Ultimarc
« Reply #12 on: December 24, 2014, 11:23:07 am »
Can this board now be directly plugged into an xbox 360 after being programed?

No, the new adaptor is needed. This contains the Xbox360 encryption chip and also works in PS3 mode and Xinput mode.

opt2not

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 15, 2024, 07:31:21 pm
« Reply #13 on: December 24, 2014, 11:40:08 am »
Awesome news Andy, Happy Holidays!  :cheers:

taylormadelv

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 18, 2019, 05:46:59 pm
« Reply #14 on: December 24, 2014, 11:41:17 am »
Bravo! :applaud: One encoder that does trackball, mouse and keyboard inputs! I'll be buying one of these very soon! Just the power option alone makes me very interested in this.

RxBrad

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 31, 2023, 12:41:00 pm
  • I like burritos.
    • bit.ly/1GDVYUu
    • RxBrad.com
« Reply #15 on: December 24, 2014, 11:52:49 am »
How does a Power button work on an I-PAC?  I've been searching around for clarification on this with no luck.

Does it really let you power up a PC from total power-off state?  Or is it more of a wake-from-sleep button?  Since I don't see an input labelled "POWER" on photos of the board, I'm assuming you can program any of the inputs to work as a Power button -- right?
« Last Edit: December 24, 2014, 03:29:51 pm by RxBrad »

cack01

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 31, 2023, 11:49:55 pm
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #16 on: December 24, 2014, 02:57:48 pm »
How does a Power button work on an I-PAC? 

I imagine it works similar to a keyboard which has a power/sleep button on it.  Just sending a signal to wake by USB. 

wp34

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 10, 2022, 09:48:19 pm
« Reply #17 on: December 24, 2014, 03:05:28 pm »

The long-awaited rotary joystick upgrade for Ultrastik 360, Servostik and J-Stik will be available in January.

Andy

:applaud: :applaud: :applaud: :applaud: :applaud: :applaud:

jelwell

• Wiki Master
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 24, 2014, 03:47:21 pm
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #18 on: December 24, 2014, 03:47:21 pm »
I assume the rotary upgrade is based on this old thread:
http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,122506.40.html

I'm excited. I'll be buying 4 upgrade kits for my Servo Stiks. For my cabinet and my friends.
 :cheers:
Joseph Elwell.

TimeCrisis

• Offline Offline
« Reply #19 on: December 25, 2014, 04:03:23 am »

We are working towards ready-made guns with built-in recoil. Not there yet because I had a prototype USB cable made up which has the two heavy-gauge conductors for recoil power built-in to check that it didnt cause issues on the USB bus but it did, mainly because the cable manufacturers didnt follow my specification.

A forum member gstav managed to use your kit to make it work with namco's gun
https://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=119610.160
http://www.snapthepix.com/NAMCO-GUN-AimTrak-MOD-Photos-by-gstav80

'Just followed the recoil kit schematics and skipped his solenoid and his gun halvs which you buy seperately'.

I thought maybe you could do the same thing?

-

sorry I didn't realise this was about i-pac, i thought it was a things to offer in 2015 thread.

« Last Edit: January 16, 2015, 03:05:57 pm by TimeCrisis »

Fast351

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 22, 2020, 10:49:37 am
« Reply #20 on: December 25, 2014, 09:12:35 am »
Wow, so does that mean that the answer to my question asked here: 

http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,142843.0.html

Is a yes?  That is great news!

Any chance for a field firmware upgrade (I assume it's just a firmware change?)

AndyWarne

• Offline Offline
    • Ultimarc
« Reply #21 on: December 26, 2014, 06:27:32 am »
Wow, so does that mean that the answer to my question asked here: 

http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,142843.0.html

Is a yes?  That is great news!

Any chance for a field firmware upgrade (I assume it's just a firmware change?)

I am not entirely sure of your question but if you are asking whether the J-PAC supports trackballs the answer is no, because the JAMMA standard does not. We have trackballs with their own USB interface which can be used alongside the J-PAC.

mimic

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 10, 2024, 02:58:45 pm
« Reply #22 on: December 29, 2014, 06:19:11 pm »

Could you elaborate a little? More details/price if possible. I was JUST about to pull the trigger on rotary joysticks, but I will gladly hold on if I can have less clutter on my panel.

Vigo

• the Scourage of Carpathia
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+24)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 21, 2024, 08:20:28 am
« Reply #23 on: December 29, 2014, 06:48:15 pm »
Great update Andy! Looking forward to the rotary kit.

AndyWarne

• Offline Offline
    • Ultimarc
« Reply #24 on: December 30, 2014, 04:37:46 am »

Could you elaborate a little? More details/price if possible. I was JUST about to pull the trigger on rotary joysticks, but I will gladly hold on if I can have less clutter on my panel.

Sorry, dont have any more details until later in January.

TimeCrisis

• Offline Offline
« Reply #25 on: January 16, 2015, 03:05:36 pm »
Quote from: TimeCrisis

A forum member gstav managed to use your kit to make it work with namco's gun
https://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=119610.160
http://www.snapthepix.com/NAMCO-GUN-AimTrak-MOD-Photos-by-gstav80

'Just followed the recoil kit schematics and skipped his solenoid and his gun halvs which you buy seperately'.

I thought maybe you could do the same thing?

-

sorry I didn't realise this was about i-pac, i thought it was a things to offer in 2015 thread.

May I ask if you would look into this and check if you will offer this service one day?

Brian74

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 10, 2024, 01:55:58 pm
  • Yep... I built that!!
« Reply #26 on: January 16, 2015, 04:03:49 pm »
 :laugh2:

RyoriNoTetsujin

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 23, 2024, 03:55:45 pm
« Reply #27 on: January 17, 2015, 08:14:18 pm »
Hey Andy (if you're out there, somewhere...)

I'm late to this particular party (been out of the scene for some time.) Just for clarification: Are all these joystick upgrades stackable?

For instance, could one have a U360 which has automated 4/8-way switching (servostik upgrade, under the panel) AND rotary stick functionality at the same time?

I've already got a couple hundred bucks worth sitting in my Ultimarc shopping cart, waiting on me to pull the trigger... am I not done shopping yet?   ;D

AndyWarne

• Offline Offline
    • Ultimarc
« Reply #28 on: January 18, 2015, 03:00:12 pm »
Hey Andy (if you're out there, somewhere...)

I'm late to this particular party (been out of the scene for some time.) Just for clarification: Are all these joystick upgrades stackable?

For instance, could one have a U360 which has automated 4/8-way switching (servostik upgrade, under the panel) AND rotary stick functionality at the same time?

I've already got a couple hundred bucks worth sitting in my Ultimarc shopping cart, waiting on me to pull the trigger... am I not done shopping yet?   ;D

The rotary upgrade will initially be for the U360 only, because it plugs into the U360 PCB, but we will have another version for the J-Stik and ServoStik in the future.

It is theoretically possible to fit the ServoStik Upgrade to a U360, but I am not sure how desirable it would be. I have not actually tried it. It might need the U360 map cell borders tweaked in the configuration to line up with the physical ServoStik restrictor. I dont think the U360 would add a lot to the functionality of the ServoStik because "full travel" analog would not be possible. The only real advantage is it would be a "click-free" contactless stick with motorized restrictor.

otsep

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 01, 2024, 02:25:24 pm
  • I'm your huckleberry...
« Reply #29 on: January 18, 2015, 06:04:21 pm »
Andy,

If is possible to power the new Ultimate IO board off a PC power supply?  I was going to fab a harness, but I want to ask first.

Thanks!
Vids: Namco Rockin' Bowl-O-Rama
Pins: Aerosmith Pro, ST Premium Vault, Beatles Gold

Remember Wheaton's Law

Minwah

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 18, 2019, 05:03:20 am
    • MAMEWAH
« Reply #30 on: January 19, 2015, 07:17:28 am »
Only just seen this. Personally I would be very interested in the rotary upgrade for the ServoStik.

Will it be an optical or 12-position type?

BadMouth

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 09:47:02 pm
« Reply #31 on: January 19, 2015, 10:25:29 am »
Andy, I would like to commend you on building an analog/d-pad shift function into the xbox360 adapter. (using cp controls)

I currently have half a dozen games that don't work with my pad hacks because they only accept input from the analog thumbstick and not the D-pad.
My hacked fightpads have a tiny little switch on them which isn't very accessible.  I could switch it over to LS instead of DPad, but then a handful of other games wouldn't work.  :banghead:

While it would be nice to have the switching automated, it does make your interface superior to a pad hack.  :cheers:

RyoriNoTetsujin

• Offline Offline
« Reply #32 on: January 19, 2015, 11:16:02 am »
The rotary upgrade will initially be for the U360 only, because it plugs into the U360 PCB, but we will have another version for the J-Stik and ServoStik in the future.

It is theoretically possible to fit the ServoStik Upgrade to a U360, but I am not sure how desirable it would be. I have not actually tried it. It might need the U360 map cell borders tweaked in the configuration to line up with the physical ServoStik restrictor. I dont think the U360 would add a lot to the functionality of the ServoStik because "full travel" analog would not be possible. The only real advantage is it would be a "click-free" contactless stick with motorized restrictor.

Thanks for the response Andy.

I've never had a U360 before (time to upgrade!), and I don't think I've ever seen pics of the pcb on its own.

So, is it safe to go ahead and purchase the currently available U360, with the assurance it will be compatible with the rotary upgrade? There won't be a new version of the U360 pcb?

My interest in the ServoStick upgrade on a U360 was purely for the automation of the feel of physical restriction. Does having the below-mounted restrictor installed reduce the throw of the stick so much as to make "analog" mapping unusable for games that used analog sticks? Anyone else with the U360 have any opinion on this?Edit - Sorry, I see now that's pretty much what you're saying in the previous post.

I understand I could use the front-mounted restrictor, but it is a less elegant solution...
« Last Edit: January 19, 2015, 11:19:48 am by RyoriNoTetsujin »

WakiMiko

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 04, 2019, 03:17:46 pm
« Reply #33 on: January 21, 2015, 11:03:27 pm »
Does one I-PAC emulate multiple gamepads? E.g. I want all the P1 controls mapped to the first "virtual" gamepad and all the P2 controls mapped to the second.

I downloaded the software, but I can't look into the gamepad dropdown menu with no I-PAC attached.

bchiarmonte

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 05, 2016, 03:51:33 pm
« Reply #34 on: January 22, 2015, 04:46:10 pm »
Does one I-PAC emulate multiple gamepads? E.g. I want all the P1 controls mapped to the first "virtual" gamepad and all the P2 controls mapped to the second.

This is something I would be interested in as well.

Also, is the ipac4 board getting an update with the headers for the trackball like the ipac2 did. Either way the 4 should be enough for 4 players, trackball and two mouse buttons. Just the headers would make it easier.

mimic

• Offline Offline
« Reply #35 on: January 23, 2015, 05:48:41 pm »
Andy,
Can we finally agree that it's the end of January and it's time to spill the beans!

Thank you
The impatient

AndyWarne

• Offline Offline
    • Ultimarc
« Reply #36 on: January 26, 2015, 09:04:28 am »
Andy,

If is possible to power the new Ultimate IO board off a PC power supply?  I was going to fab a harness, but I want to ask first.

Thanks!

Not sure about your question, the board comes with a pre-wired power harness which connects to a PC power supply HDD power connector.

Andy

AndyWarne

• Offline Offline
    • Ultimarc
« Reply #37 on: January 26, 2015, 09:08:45 am »
Only just seen this. Personally I would be very interested in the rotary upgrade for the ServoStik.

Will it be an optical or 12-position type?

Iys an optical type with the same resolution as the SpinTrak.

AndyWarne

• Offline Offline
    • Ultimarc
« Reply #38 on: January 26, 2015, 09:11:15 am »

Thanks for the response Andy.

I've never had a U360 before (time to upgrade!), and I don't think I've ever seen pics of the pcb on its own.

So, is it safe to go ahead and purchase the currently available U360, with the assurance it will be compatible with the rotary upgrade? There won't be a new version of the U360 pcb?

My interest in the ServoStick upgrade on a U360 was purely for the automation of the feel of physical restriction. Does having the below-mounted restrictor installed reduce the throw of the stick so much as to make "analog" mapping unusable for games that used analog sticks? Anyone else with the U360 have any opinion on this?Edit - Sorry, I see now that's pretty much what you're saying in the previous post.

I understand I could use the front-mounted restrictor, but it is a less elegant solution...

The upgrade will include a new PCB because it needs to have the connector on board for the encoder.

Andy

AndyWarne

• Offline Offline
    • Ultimarc
« Reply #39 on: January 26, 2015, 09:15:13 am »

This is something I would be interested in as well.

Also, is the ipac4 board getting an update with the headers for the trackball like the ipac2 did. Either way the 4 should be enough for 4 players, trackball and two mouse buttons. Just the headers would make it easier.

The current firmware implements one game controller device on the board. It would technically be possible to implement  two game controllers. If there is a clear benefit I will do this in later firmware.

The I-PAC 4 will not support the trackball/spinner/expansion owing to all the I/O pins on the microcontroller being used up.

wp34

• Offline Offline
« Reply #40 on: January 27, 2015, 04:57:16 pm »
Andy,
Can we finally agree that it's the end of January and it's time to spill the beans!

Thank you
The impatient

+1   >:D

I'd really like to know more about the rotary upgrade.  How soon will it be available?

thatpurplestuff

• Offline Offline
« Reply #41 on: January 28, 2015, 02:56:50 pm »
Hey Andy,

Yes these have been somewhat sporadic since we launched them. We have been awaiting supply of the 4-way jack connectors and these are due in from the manufacturers on 30 Dec, so we should have these quite soon after we reopen in Jan.

Hey Andy,

Just touching base on those RGB illuminated handles for the ServoStik... any word on when they will be back in stock?  Take my money haha!

So once again, we find that evil of the past seeps into the present like salad dressing through cheap wax paper, mixing memory and desire.

lamprey

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 17, 2019, 07:03:11 pm
« Reply #42 on: January 30, 2015, 11:28:34 am »

Have a great 2015!

Andy
Woot! So, we will be able to order this today or tomorrow? ;)

I've been hassling Andy for a long time about this update, so, hopefully, it'll arrive very soon! Then I can disassemble and reassemble my control panel.

Looking forward to the word of an official release!

AndyWarne

• Offline Offline
    • Ultimarc
« Reply #43 on: January 31, 2015, 04:32:23 pm »

The "productionizing" of the rotary upgrade was outsourced to the supplier of our Spintrak spinner and they have been unbelievably slow.

The first delivery of parts they sent, the cover for the encoder contacted the PCB mountings but a revised version of this part is on the way to us.

The RGB handles were awaiting 4-pole connectors which were out of stock at the suppliers but we now have everything so we will be assembling some of these this week.

Andy

wp34

• Offline Offline
« Reply #44 on: January 31, 2015, 04:43:29 pm »
Thanks for the update Andy. 

otsep

• Offline Offline
« Reply #45 on: January 31, 2015, 04:50:28 pm »
AWESOME. I've started a build and I'm holding out for these.

Remember Wheaton's Law

RxBrad

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 31, 2023, 12:41:00 pm
  • I like burritos.
    • bit.ly/1GDVYUu
    • RxBrad.com
« Reply #46 on: January 31, 2015, 05:00:32 pm »
Any updates on the Xinput adaptor for the IPAC2? I'd like to be able to play some Castle Crashers on the cab I'm about to build, and I'm waiting to pull the trigger on buying my controls until these come out.

haynor666

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 04, 2024, 03:20:27 am
  • retro maniac
« Reply #47 on: February 01, 2015, 06:28:46 am »
Still no details about rotary upgrade for U360 ?

AndyWarne

• Offline Offline
    • Ultimarc
« Reply #48 on: February 02, 2015, 09:50:42 am »
Any updates on the Xinput adaptor for the IPAC2? I'd like to be able to play some Castle Crashers on the cab I'm about to build, and I'm waiting to pull the trigger on buying my controls until these come out.

Yes these are ready now: www.ultimarc.com/console.html

I will get it added to the store tomorrow.

Brian74

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 10, 2024, 01:55:58 pm
  • Yep... I built that!!
« Reply #49 on: February 02, 2015, 11:03:45 am »
what about the light-gun holsters?

WakiMiko

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 04, 2019, 03:17:46 pm
« Reply #50 on: February 02, 2015, 04:50:20 pm »

The current firmware implements one game controller device on the board. It would technically be possible to implement  two game controllers. If there is a clear benefit I will do this in later firmware.

This would certainly be useful for those problematic games that want 1 controller per player, or games that don't let you remap the direction buttons.

AndyWarne

• Offline Offline
    • Ultimarc
« Reply #51 on: February 03, 2015, 01:32:49 pm »
what about the light-gun holsters?

We had a consignment of these from Suzo-Happ but they didnt include the mounting nuts so we are now waiting for those. They are a weird thread otherwise it would not be an issue.

thatpurplestuff

• Offline Offline
« Reply #52 on: February 17, 2015, 05:20:38 pm »
My tax return is burning a hole through my keyboard... any ETA on when the RGB handles for the Servostik's will be ready to go?  Been wanting to buy the ServoStik's + RGB upgrade but want to do it all in one purchase!  Sorry to be a pest!

otsep

• Offline Offline
« Reply #53 on: February 17, 2015, 05:22:34 pm »
I ordered UltraStiks today and would LOVE to have the RGB shafts too.

Remember Wheaton's Law

EvilNuff

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 24, 2024, 04:41:13 pm
« Reply #54 on: February 17, 2015, 06:00:50 pm »
Add me to the "omg do want" list for the rotary u360 upgrade!

tony.silveira

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 17, 2024, 10:24:34 pm
    • my baby
« Reply #55 on: February 17, 2015, 06:38:58 pm »
Add me to the "omg do want" list for the rotary u360 upgrade!

+2 on this end!

wp34

• Offline Offline
« Reply #56 on: February 20, 2015, 05:43:33 pm »
Any update on the rotary upgrade Andy?

The "productionizing" of the rotary upgrade was outsourced to the supplier of our Spintrak spinner and they have been unbelievably slow.

The first delivery of parts they sent, the cover for the encoder contacted the PCB mountings but a revised version of this part is on the way to us.

The RGB handles were awaiting 4-pole connectors which were out of stock at the suppliers but we now have everything so we will be assembling some of these this week.

Andy

AndyWarne

• Offline Offline
    • Ultimarc
« Reply #57 on: February 21, 2015, 03:43:34 am »

Yes we now have all the parts for this. I will be working on pictures and instructions this weekend.

wp34

• Offline Offline
« Reply #58 on: February 21, 2015, 11:26:42 am »
Awesome!  I need to place an order and have been waiting to see if this gets into my cart. 

Yes we now have all the parts for this. I will be working on pictures and instructions this weekend.

tony.silveira

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 17, 2024, 10:24:34 pm
    • my baby
« Reply #59 on: February 22, 2015, 01:59:58 am »

Oh boy can't wait!  How about the classic rgb's, back in stock soon I hope.

AndyWarne

• Offline Offline
    • Ultimarc
« Reply #60 on: February 26, 2015, 11:00:59 am »

The rotary upgrade is now available and listed in the store.

The RGB LEDs for Ultralux and ClassicRGB are currently in production but dont have an exact ETA on these yet.

lamprey

• Offline Offline
« Reply #61 on: February 26, 2015, 12:17:36 pm »
Andy,

I see the rotary upgrade doesn't work with the bat/oval topped 360's, presumably due to the shaft to support the rotary upgrade. Are you planning to offer a fully assembled oval topped 360 with rotary upgrade or a oval topped upgrade option?

I'm am/was really looking forward to this upgrade, but would very much like to have oval tops.

Thanks!

wp34

• Offline Offline
« Reply #62 on: February 26, 2015, 12:19:50 pm »
Andy,

I see the rotary upgrade doesn't work with the bat/oval topped 360's, presumably due to the shaft to support the rotary upgrade. Are you planning to offer a fully assembled oval topped 360 with rotary upgrade or a oval topped upgrade option?

I'm am/was really looking forward to this upgrade, but would very much like to have oval tops.

Thanks!

I'm in the same boat.  Also I currently use the rounded restrictor.  Is there a reason for requiring the 4 or 8-way restrictor?

8BitMonk

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 19, 2023, 05:27:00 pm
« Reply #63 on: February 26, 2015, 01:45:31 pm »
Is it possible to order a new U360 with the rotary cabability and if so what is the cost?
Games: Asteroids Deluxe | Atomiswave | Centipede | Championship Sprint | Defender | Donkey Kong | Dig Dug | Frogger | Ikari Warriors | Missile Command | Pac-Man | Pole Position | Robotron | Spy Hunter | Tempest | Super Mario Strikers

AndyWarne

• Offline Offline
    • Ultimarc
« Reply #64 on: February 26, 2015, 01:55:32 pm »
The round restrictor is fine.

We dont offer a fully assembled unit and its likely we will never offer this. What we will be doing is adding the connector to all new U360s so that a replacement PCB will not be needed.

There are not many "wasted" parts over and above ordering the long handle option (the rotary handles are long).
I will be changing over to using a nylon spacer to adapt the standard magnet holder to the rotary shaft which will also mean the original magnet holder wont be wasted either.

Oval tops will require another handle variant, with M10 thread and depending on demand I will look at this. We do have some oval tops with M6 thread which fit onto the ball top handles but only in red.

wp34

• Offline Offline
« Reply #65 on: February 26, 2015, 04:18:51 pm »
Thanks for the update Andy.

otsep

• Offline Offline
« Reply #66 on: February 26, 2015, 04:21:34 pm »
I just got my u360s a week ago. Do they have the connector on the PCB?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Remember Wheaton's Law

bfauska

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 28, 2023, 04:41:45 pm
  • "You're not wrong Walter, you're just an @##hole!"
« Reply #67 on: February 26, 2015, 04:59:23 pm »
I just got my u360s a week ago. Do they have the connector on the PCB?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I ordered mine yesterday, same question.

mimic

• Offline Offline
« Reply #68 on: February 26, 2015, 11:16:11 pm »
The rotary created lots of questions for me!
Let me understand this like so:

U360 Standard
Pros: Full (proper?) analog
Cons: Throw too long

U360 Bottom Restrictor
Pros: Shorter throw
Pros: Rotary option
Cons: limited analog

U360 Top restrictor
Pros: Full analog
Pros: Shorter throw
Cons: No Rotary option

Did I get this right? Or is there an option where I'll get: Full analog, short throw and rotary option?

AndyWarne

• Offline Offline
    • Ultimarc
« Reply #69 on: February 27, 2015, 08:57:49 am »
The above is correct, its simply not possible to add the encoder with the large angular movement of the unrestricted stick.

The U360s currently shipping dont have the connector fitted yet. We are hand-soldering the connector onto the PCBs which are sent with the upgrade. The production PCBs will have the connector on the next batch and I will then amend the store listings to offer 2 different kits, one without the PCB.

DarthMarino

• Offline Offline
« Reply #70 on: February 27, 2015, 10:19:46 am »
Andy,

Do you have a time frame for the J-Stik upgrade kit?

wp34

• Offline Offline
« Reply #71 on: February 27, 2015, 10:23:29 am »
Andy -

What thread size is the ball top shaft?  I'll need to switch to a white ball top if I want to go with the rotary upgrade.

AndyWarne

• Offline Offline
    • Ultimarc
« Reply #72 on: February 27, 2015, 12:29:54 pm »
Andy -

What thread size is the ball top shaft?  I'll need to switch to a white ball top if I want to go with the rotary upgrade.

Its the standard M6 thread.

zallax

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 26, 2017, 10:02:28 am
  • It's the challenge of the build
« Reply #73 on: February 27, 2015, 01:32:44 pm »
When will the rotary upgrade kit for the ServoStik be available?

mimic

• Offline Offline
« Reply #74 on: February 27, 2015, 04:40:29 pm »
If I install bottom restrictor, which games in Mame will suffer from that or will be unplayable at this point?

and

Can I play Geometry wars 3 on 2 joysticks with restrictors? How about one with restrictor and one without? How would that affect gameplay?
(I'm aware of push button issue with that setup)

Also

If I want to order Rotary setup by that I mean not just an upgrade but whole thing that's necessary (Joystick, restrictor, rotary attachment) What would be best to order to be most cost effective, what would be the final price?

Could you tell us about how the rotary feels like and plays comparing to a real rotary joystick?

AndyWarne

• Offline Offline
    • Ultimarc
« Reply #75 on: March 01, 2015, 06:55:39 am »
If I install bottom restrictor, which games in Mame will suffer from that or will be unplayable at this point?

and

Can I play Geometry wars 3 on 2 joysticks with restrictors? How about one with restrictor and one without? How would that affect gameplay?
(I'm aware of push button issue with that setup)

Also

If I want to order Rotary setup by that I mean not just an upgrade but whole thing that's necessary (Joystick, restrictor, rotary attachment) What would be best to order to be most cost effective, what would be the final price?

Could you tell us about how the rotary feels like and plays comparing to a real rotary joystick?

99% of all Mame games were designed to be played with a joystick with a restrictor, ie 4-way or 8-way so there really isnt any issue there. There are very few analog games in Mame which require the full travel. In fact analog games can still be played even with the restrictor to some extent.

I cant answer the geometry Wars question unfortunately, I dont know this game.

There are 2 kinds of rotary joystick, the 12-position which has 12 detented positions when its turned, and the optical which has continuous rotation. This is the latter, but does not rule out playing the games which used the 12-position type. This stick has a far higher resolution than the original Happ optical stick but this can be reduced in Mame settings. The higher resolution means its more versatile and could be used for some games which originally used a spinner.

If you want to order everything it might be best to wait a week or so until we get a production run of U360 PCBs done with the connector for the encoder. Then you can order a lower-cost upgrade kit without a new PCB.

AndyWarne

• Offline Offline
    • Ultimarc
« Reply #76 on: March 01, 2015, 06:57:55 am »
When will the rotary upgrade kit for the ServoStik be available?

What we need to do is produce the same encoder with a longer cable and a connector for plugging into a separate interface rather than the U360 PCB. The other parts will be the same.
The reason I have not already done this is because I am trying to beat up the encoder supplier into giving us a lower price. Negotiations are still ongoing :)

gildahl

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 09:21:43 pm
« Reply #77 on: March 01, 2015, 07:56:10 pm »
Add me to the list of folks who need the rotary upgrade to support bat/oval tops.

otsep

• Offline Offline
« Reply #78 on: March 01, 2015, 08:13:57 pm »
The U360s currently shipping dont have the connector fitted yet. We are hand-soldering the connector onto the PCBs which are sent with the upgrade. The production PCBs will have the connector on the next batch and I will then amend the store listings to offer 2 different kits, one without the PCB.

That burns a little..

Remember Wheaton's Law

DeLuSioNal29

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 20, 2023, 11:39:06 pm
  • Build the impossible -"There is no Spoon"
    • DeLuSioNaL's YouTube Videos
« Reply #79 on: March 02, 2015, 09:01:56 pm »
Hi Andy, just to confirm - If I purchase the new I-PAC 2 and 2 Xbox 360 console adapters:  The PC will think I'm connecting 2 Xbox 360 USB controllers into the computer and they would show up as Xbox 360 controllers in Windows (and the official MS drivers would work) correct?

In addition, any of those 32 inputs can be assigned to a keyboard function (for example - using the 4-way additional joystick on my panel to control the Hyperspin front end which DOES NOT support joysticks).  So essentially I'd have to subtract the keys assigned from the Xbox 360 inputs?  I apologize if I'm not making this sound clear.

DeLuSioNaL29
Stop by my Youtube channel and leave a comment:

AndyWarne

• Offline Offline
    • Ultimarc
« Reply #80 on: March 03, 2015, 01:57:26 pm »
Hi Andy, just to confirm - If I purchase the new I-PAC 2 and 2 Xbox 360 console adapters:  The PC will think I'm connecting 2 Xbox 360 USB controllers into the computer and they would show up as Xbox 360 controllers in Windows (and the official MS drivers would work) correct?

In addition, any of those 32 inputs can be assigned to a keyboard function (for example - using the 4-way additional joystick on my panel to control the Hyperspin front end which DOES NOT support joysticks).  So essentially I'd have to subtract the keys assigned from the Xbox 360 inputs?  I apologize if I'm not making this sound clear.

DeLuSioNaL29

The first part is correct. The second, there might be a limitation because the PacLink adaptors use a fixed set of keys to control them. So you can assign any input on the I-PAC (including using the I-PAC shift function) to any Xinput control. But after you have done this, if you connect the board to a PC directly, the PC will see those keys you have assigned.
So, you cant assign one set of keycodes to the direct PC connection and another set to the Xinput connection (unless on different inputs).

What you would have to do, for a dual connection, is configure everything you need for Xinput, then configure keycodes in the non-Xinput software (eg mame) to match.

BTW I can never understand why Hyperspin, being a gaming front end, does not support game controllers!

thatpurplestuff

• Offline Offline
« Reply #81 on: March 03, 2015, 11:29:47 pm »
Eagerly refreshing the Ultimarc website daily to see when the RGB illuminated handles are back in stock for the ServoStik.  Any ETA, or would it be possible for me to just purchase the hollow shaft separately if the other RGB parts aren't in stock?

lamprey

• Offline Offline
« Reply #82 on: March 04, 2015, 01:35:16 am »
Just posting my first impressions and I received mine today.

Assembly
If you follow the directions you'll be fine. Nothing too hard. However, since there are now two PCBs (the main one and the min-one for the optical rotary sensor) it's be nice to have some more pictures in the step by step instructions.

Play/Mame
Overall it plugs right in and plays, just like a normal U360. Unlike the positional rotary's that seem to like 100 sensitivity in MAME this optical sensor likes much lower values, 1-5 or so (I could be off here as I've only been playing with it for about 30 mins in MAME). The default for the rotary is a X-axis mouse (left-right). Andy said he'll have an update to change this to the Y-Axis, so you can have two hooked up and playing together. I should also note, that the handle doesn't "free-spin." So, while you can technically play games like Super Sprint with this, it seems better suited for more traditional rotary games like Ikari Warriors, Victory Road, Heavy Barrel, Time Soldiers, SAR - Search And Rescue, Cal .50, etc). I'm not sure if it is due to sensitive settings in mame or some issue with how I put the rotary upgrade in, but I noticed that on the extreme left and right movements of the joystick I got some rotation while playing some of the rotary games. I suspect some sensitivity configuration is at play, but something to investigate.

Handle Length
The new handle for the rotary kit is longer, obviously. But, what isn't really stated is that updated handle is longer than the standard/default handle on the U360 from a control panel height perspective. So, if you have an existing one, or like me, you want two stickers per player (one rotary and one regular) you need to have the longer shaft/handle on the non-rotary in order for them to be the same height above you control panel.

If Andy is out of Battops and that's what you want, Focus Attack has some that fit nicely (they include a 6M adapter). I just waned black, but they have all kinds of options:
http://www.focusattack.com/sanwa-lb-30-n-s-battop-black/

Final Thoughts
Admittedly, I only wanted a positional-type rotary and I was thinking that this might not be for me. But, after a minute or two of playing I didn't really miss the "notchiness" of a positional rotary. That having been said, if Andy wants to make a positional-rotary version, I'd get that in a heart beat! But, this update does allow you to play the optical rotary games.

All in all, I'd say a pretty solid update to the U360! I'm pretty busy for the next week or two but, hopefully, I can carve out a little more time to pay with these further! :)

Thanks again to Andy for making this happen!  :notworthy:

Homietheclown

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 01, 2016, 10:28:15 am
« Reply #83 on: March 04, 2015, 12:55:17 pm »
I've been researching controls for a week and and ran across this thread. I am looking for a joystick that I can use for fighting games and simple 4 way games like pacman, frogger, etc. WITHOUT having to adjust these restrictors.

Anyway I think I heard about the octa-shaped restrictor. 2 questions:

1) Is it possible to use the U360 in a way to play both fighting games and old-school games without having to switch a restrictor around all the time. I don't care for absolute precision. I just want these games to be pretty playable (within reason) with one restrictor.

2) Can someone please explain this rotary thing? Is it like the mag-stick rotary option that allows you to switch between 4 and 8 way modes on the joystick without messing with the restrictor?

wp34

• Offline Offline
« Reply #84 on: March 04, 2015, 01:13:34 pm »
Thanks for the review lamprey.   :cheers:

Assembly
If you follow the directions you'll be fine. Nothing too hard. However, since there are now two PCBs (the main one and the min-one for the optical rotary sensor) it's be nice to have some more pictures in the step by step instructions.

Play/Mame
Overall it plugs right in and plays, just like a normal U360. Unlike the positional rotary's that seem to like 100 sensitivity in MAME this optical sensor likes much lower values, 1-5 or so (I could be off here as I've only been playing with it for about 30 mins in MAME). The default for the rotary is a X-axis mouse (left-right). Andy said he'll have an update to change this to the Y-Axis, so you can have two hooked up and playing together. I should also note, that the handle doesn't "free-spin." So, while you can technically play games like Super Sprint with this, it seems better suited for more traditional rotary games like Ikari Warriors, Victory Road, Heavy Barrel, Time Soldiers, SAR - Search And Rescue, Cal .50, etc). I'm not sure if it is due to sensitive settings in mame or some issue with how I put the rotary upgrade in, but I noticed that on the extreme left and right movements of the joystick I got some rotation while playing some of the rotary games. I suspect some sensitivity configuration is at play, but something to investigate.

Handle Length
The new handle for the rotary kit is longer, obviously. But, what isn't really stated is that updated handle is longer than the standard/default handle on the U360 from a control panel height perspective. So, if you have an existing one, or like me, you want two stickers per player (one rotary and one regular) you need to have the longer shaft/handle on the non-rotary in order for them to be the same height above you control panel.

If Andy is out of Battops and that's what you want, Focus Attack has some that fit nicely (they include a 6M adapter). I just waned black, but they have all kinds of options:

Final Thoughts
Admittedly, I only wanted a positional-type rotary and I was thinking that this might not be for me. But, after a minute or two of playing I didn't really miss the "notchiness" of a positional rotary. That having been said, if Andy wants to make a positional-rotary version, I'd get that in a heart beat! But, this update does allow you to play the optical rotary games.

All in all, I'd say a pretty solid update to the U360! I'm pretty busy for the next week or two but, hopefully, I can carve out a little more time to pay with these further! :)

wp34

• Offline Offline
« Reply #85 on: March 04, 2015, 01:19:49 pm »

2) Can someone please explain this rotary thing? Is it like the mag-stick rotary option that allows you to switch between 4 and 8 way modes on the joystick without messing with the restrictor?

This is an add-on for the U360 that will let you play games such as Time Soldiers and Ikari Warriors that originally used a rotary joystick.  A Rotary joystick typically allowed you to change the direction your player or their gun was pointed by turning (rotating) the joystick shaft.

harveybirdman

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 19, 2024, 12:40:25 pm
  • SHMUP'EM
« Reply #86 on: March 04, 2015, 02:17:19 pm »
I've been researching controls for a week and and ran across this thread. I am looking for a joystick that I can use for fighting games and simple 4 way games like pacman, frogger, etc. WITHOUT having to adjust these restrictors.

Anyway I think I heard about the octa-shaped restrictor. 2 questions:

1) Is it possible to use the U360 in a way to play both fighting games and old-school games without having to switch a restrictor around all the time. I don't care for absolute precision. I just want these games to be pretty playable (within reason) with one restrictor.

Just because I feel like I may have given you the wrong idea about restriction in the other thread, I will briefly hijack this thread to further explain. 

The U360 controls the outputs through software, not through physical restriction.  It has restrictor options only for how they feel not because they are needed to physically prevent two directional outputs at once.

You should read up on it here http://ultimarc.com/ultrastik_info.html

It could end up being a good option for your because it allows you to use the same stick for both kinds of games that you want without physically doing anything to the stick between games.

It sounds like you're okay with a jack of all trades, master of none stick and don't mind dropping some coin.... these might be for you.

Homietheclown

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 01, 2016, 10:28:15 am
« Reply #87 on: March 04, 2015, 04:30:55 pm »
Hey Harvey.

Thanks for your post. They really do help.   One more thread jacking question if I may...  >:D

Would you still recommend the u360's over the ServoStiks?

The SS seems to have the best of both world mentality built into them.

harveybirdman

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 19, 2024, 12:40:25 pm
  • SHMUP'EM
« Reply #88 on: March 04, 2015, 05:17:50 pm »
it really just boils down to if you want the "switching" to be done virtually or mechanically.

There is a little learning curve for both sticks, but Andy is a great resource and has great documentation check out Eric's last post in your other thread.

mimic

• Offline Offline
« Reply #89 on: March 04, 2015, 07:46:35 pm »

Play/Mame

Handle Length

Final Thoughts

Thank you for the review. If you find some time could you test the following games:
Gondomania
Bermuda Triangle
Guerilla War (I read somwhere that this one had problem with happ optical joysticks)
I'm only interested in rotary games. Spinner games don't interest me, as I have spinners for that.

Could you also measure from top of your ball top to the panel. How long is your handle? How much sticks out above it?

Thx again!!

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 05, 2017, 10:20:56 am
  • I want my own arcade controls!
« Reply #90 on: March 05, 2015, 01:02:22 pm »

Assembly

Play/Mame

Handle Length

Final Thoughts

I'm doing something wrong with the assembly.  What parts does the eclip hold in?  I thought it was the original parts but the shaft is a little bit longer in that middle section which means I'm missing something.

lamprey

• Offline Offline
« Reply #91 on: March 05, 2015, 04:02:16 pm »
I'm doing something wrong with the assembly.  What parts does the eclip hold in?  I thought it was the original parts but the shaft is a little bit longer in that middle section which means I'm missing something.
After you pull it apart (remove the e-clip) and put the new shaft back in with the original parts (spring and stuff (not sure what those are called)). Before you put the e-clip back on, you need to remove the PCB (round optical one) using the two screws. You then put the plastic part (that the PCB attached to) on the shaft. Then you can push that down and put the e-clip on. Then reattach the optical PCB to the plastic holder/retainer. Then put the optical disc (shinny metal thing) on.

Hope that makes sense.

• Offline Offline
« Reply #92 on: March 05, 2015, 07:50:11 pm »
After you pull it apart (remove the e-clip) and put the new shaft back in with the original parts (spring and stuff (not sure what those are called)). Before you put the e-clip back on, you need to remove the PCB (round optical one) using the two screws. You then put the plastic part (that the PCB attached to) on the shaft. Then you can push that down and put the e-clip on. Then reattach the optical PCB to the plastic holder/retainer. Then put the optical disc (shinny metal thing) on.

Hope that makes sense.

Makes sense.  Thanks

Any advice on putting the optical disc on?  That thing is tight.  I'm not sure if I'll be able to get it all the way down.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2015, 08:08:02 pm by 2600 »

lamprey

• Offline Offline
« Reply #93 on: March 05, 2015, 10:49:14 pm »

Thank you for the review. If you find some time could you test the following games:
Gondomania
Bermuda Triangle
Guerilla War (I read somwhere that this one had problem with happ optical joysticks)
I'm only interested in rotary games. Spinner games don't interest me, as I have spinners for that.

Could you also measure from top of your ball top to the panel. How long is your handle? How much sticks out above it?

Thx again!!
They all work. I am still having some issues with moving the joy stick around and it causing the rotary to rotate. It seems a bit too sensitive for MAME. I don't know if the software to configure the U360 Rotary has any ability to reduce this or not, as I haven't had time to properly configure them.

From the top of the ball to the top of the base plate is roughly 7cm for the regular u360 and 8cm (7cm + 10mm) on the rotary version.

lamprey

• Offline Offline
« Reply #94 on: March 05, 2015, 10:50:20 pm »

Hope that makes sense.
Makes sense.  Thanks

Any advice on putting the optical disc on?  That thing is tight.  I'm not sure if I'll be able to get it all the way down.
Giggity!

Basically, you just push the disc on until it bottoms out (hits the e-clip) that should put it pretty close to the 1mm-ish distance from the sensor. I'm not sure if that's the official way, but it seems to have worked for me.

mimic

• Offline Offline
« Reply #95 on: March 08, 2015, 11:55:32 am »

If you want to order everything it might be best to wait a week or so until we get a production run of U360 PCBs done with the connector for the encoder. Then you can order a lower-cost upgrade kit without a new PCB.

Is the full solution available yet? Can you point to a specific page on your website for minimal confusion when ordering? Just to refresh I would need a joystick, rotary upgrade and appropriate restrictor, all purchased at the same time (assuming that's what is needed for U360 with rotary option)

AndyWarne

• Offline Offline
    • Ultimarc
« Reply #96 on: March 09, 2015, 03:09:24 pm »

Is the full solution available yet? Can you point to a specific page on your website for minimal confusion when ordering? Just to refresh I would need a joystick, rotary upgrade and appropriate restrictor, all purchased at the same time (assuming that's what is needed for U360 with rotary option)

Thats correct. The restrictor kit could be the 4-8-circular or the octagonal. Either will work.

mimic

• Offline Offline
« Reply #97 on: March 09, 2015, 10:07:34 pm »
Then you can order a lower-cost upgrade kit without a new PCB.

Hi,
Could you address first part of my question? is the lower cost solution available yet?

lamprey

• Offline Offline
First Impressions - Update
« Reply #98 on: March 14, 2015, 06:03:37 pm »
I had some more time to sit down and try to dial the rotary part in. Unfortunately, it just isn't going to work for me in its current form. I only really want the rotary portion to play the 12-position rotary games and there are two semi-related issues: 1) Too sensitive (for 12-position games) and 2) the design is such that when you move he stick it causes rotation of the optical sensor.

It might be too harsh to say they are too sensitive. It's mimicking a mouse, so you move it, mame registers movement - That's what I'd expect. But, for a 12-position rotary game, movement is movement, no matter how slight. The these two things together make it so that just moving the stick around causes you to rotate in the 12-position rotary games and reducing the sensitivity to 1 in mame isn't enough to over come this.

I even tried making some modification to hook a 12-positon "switch" to the U360 to help lock in the positions, but it didn't work 100%. Mostly because I was hacking it. If it was done right, it might work, but even then I'm not sure it's work with the optical sensor.

In summary, I love the U360 and was hoping to replace my 49-way sticks (with 12-postion rotary modifications) with these U360-Rotaries. But, it's not quite what I'm looking for. However, if a different mod comes out that "upgrades" the U360 to a 12-position rotary, then I'll be over it.

• Offline Offline
Re: First Impressions - Update
« Reply #99 on: March 14, 2015, 09:05:32 pm »
I had some more time to sit down and try to dial the rotary part in. Unfortunately, it just isn't going to work for me in its current form. I only really want the rotary portion to play the 12-position rotary games and there are two semi-related issues: 1) Too sensitive (for 12-position games) and 2) the design is such that when you move he stick it causes rotation of the optical sensor.

It might be too harsh to say they are too sensitive. It's mimicking a mouse, so you move it, mame registers movement - That's what I'd expect. But, for a 12-position rotary game, movement is movement, no matter how slight. The these two things together make it so that just moving the stick around causes you to rotate in the 12-position rotary games and reducing the sensitivity to 1 in mame isn't enough to over come this.

I even tried making some modification to hook a 12-positon "switch" to the U360 to help lock in the positions, but it didn't work 100%. Mostly because I was hacking it. If it was done right, it might work, but even then I'm not sure it's work with the optical sensor.

In summary, I love the U360 and was hoping to replace my 49-way sticks (with 12-postion rotary modifications) with these U360-Rotaries. But, it's not quite what I'm looking for. However, if a different mod comes out that "upgrades" the U360 to a 12-position rotary, then I'll be over it.

Not sure if this is your issue, but did you check your ctrlr config.  I had Dial set to both mouse and analog joystick at first which I don't recall setting so it may be a default.  You need to change this to just mouse.

lamprey

• Offline Offline
Re: First Impressions - Update
« Reply #100 on: March 15, 2015, 01:23:57 am »

Not sure if this is your issue, but did you check your ctrlr config.  I had Dial set to both mouse and analog joystick at first which I don't recall setting so it may be a default.  You need to change this to just mouse.
I'm not sure how you can have it set to both mouse and analog (I don't think that is possible in MAME), but I only had mine set to mouse.

• Offline Offline
« Reply #101 on: March 15, 2015, 06:51:12 pm »

I'm not sure how you can have it set to both mouse and analog (I don't think that is possible in MAME), but I only had mine set to mouse.

MAMEs ctrlr files are very flexible.  It's no different then being able to press up on the keyboard or up on a joystick.

I was playing discs of torn with it but can try a 12 position game.

RyoriNoTetsujin

• Offline Offline
« Reply #102 on: March 16, 2015, 08:23:51 am »
lamprey, are you using Windows? I could be wrong about this, but don't the Pointer Speed settings in Windows also affect Mame mouse sensitivity? (Somebody correct me on this if I am wrong!)

If the rotary add-on is seen by the OS as a mouse, this might be a way to dial down the sensitivity to something more usable for you.

lamprey

• Offline Offline
« Reply #103 on: March 16, 2015, 12:13:45 pm »
lamprey, are you using Windows? I could be wrong about this, but don't the Pointer Speed settings in Windows also affect Mame mouse sensitivity? (Somebody correct me on this if I am wrong!)

If the rotary add-on is seen by the OS as a mouse, this might be a way to dial down the sensitivity to something more usable for you.
I am using windows, but as far as I know that is not true. I did try that adjusting the mouse speed just in case it might have an affect, but it did not.

As I mentioned for 12-way rotary games, the simple act of movie the joystick causes rotational movement due to the way the optical sensor mounted. So, unless there is some way to tell MAME to not rotate until it gets more movement, then 12-way rotary is going to be flaky at best. Attached is a diagram that, hopefully, illustrates how the rotation happens when you move the stick.

DarthMarino

• Offline Offline
« Reply #104 on: March 16, 2015, 12:28:11 pm »
Can you add a deadzone onto that input? I know you can with a joystick.

EvilNuff

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 24, 2024, 04:41:13 pm
« Reply #105 on: July 24, 2015, 12:07:08 pm »
The above is correct, its simply not possible to add the encoder with the large angular movement of the unrestricted stick.

Andy, any update on the 2 different kits?  I see the original kit in the store still but have not seen the second one yet?  Thanks!

haynor666

• Offline Offline
  • retro maniac
« Reply #106 on: July 25, 2015, 05:22:18 am »
I ask Andy about this and right now only kit will be available (at least month ago). I'm waiting for full j-stick with rotary already applied.

AndyWarne

• Offline Offline
    • Ultimarc
« Reply #107 on: July 29, 2015, 03:54:43 am »

Andy, any update on the 2 different kits?  I see the original kit in the store still but have not seen the second one yet?  Thanks!

We have not implemented fitting the connector onto all of the U360s yet. I decided that I would look at the demand for the rotary upgrade before adding the connector and making all customers pay for a connector which most people will never use. If the number of rotary upgrades ordered was high enough to justify fitting the connector onto all PCBs I would have done so by now but its not. So for the present time the upgrade will need to include the PCB with connector fitted. I know there is an element of "chicken and egg" situation here with some people not ordering the upgrade owing to the cost being higher (as PCB included) but for now that's what we will stick with.

haynor666

• Offline Offline
  • retro maniac
« Reply #108 on: July 29, 2015, 04:32:12 am »
How about full rotary pcb already applied to j-stick as full product? I'm currently planning building 2 stick board. Since I already have one U360 I need second to match and would be perfect to had rotary.

AndyWarne

• Offline Offline
    • Ultimarc
« Reply #109 on: July 29, 2015, 11:41:40 am »
How about full rotary pcb already applied to j-stick as full product? I'm currently planning building 2 stick board. Since I already have one U360 I need second to match and would be perfect to had rotary.

I will look into this.

haynor666

• Offline Offline
  • retro maniac
« Reply #110 on: December 16, 2015, 01:48:52 pm »
Any progress on full U360 with rotary build in? We spoke about this about month ago.