Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Twilight Zone Display Board Problem (pinscore pin-w-dmd-01-5100) SOLVED  (Read 3484 times)

Karetaker

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 28, 2022, 08:19:40 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
A guy called me to repair his Twilight Zone Pinball machine. After talking to him a bit I told him he had a problem in his power driver board. He said he had taken the board in and out before and would be comfortable just bringing me the board. It was a bad bridge no big deal. I fixed it while he waited and sent him on his way. Long story short he couldn't get it to work so I had him bring the pin to me as I don't have time to chase these things around at the moment. He got it to me and two fuses were blown. One on the power driver I just fixed and one on the display board (which is not factory). I noticed that the display power plug was not in the display so I looked for it. I found it plugged into J122 of the power driver board.... YIKES!!! So, I pulled the display board and the power driver board. I checked the main components on both. They tested fine so I figured perhaps it just blew the fuses. I put the boards back in the machine and fired it up. The power driver board is fine and works. However, when I turned on the machine a resistor caught on fire. I've never seen a component fail so drastically and quickly. It was charbroiled before I could even get the pin turned off. The board says it is a "pinscore pin-w-dmd-01-5100" but I have my doubts that it is indeed a Pinscore board. If anyone has one of these boards I am looking for the values of resistors: R5, R6, and R13. A schematic would be even better if anyone has one.  I ordered a Rotten Dog board just in case I can't find these values. But, the guy is really tight for time to get rid of this pin. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2015, 07:52:02 pm by Karetaker »

lilshawn

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 11:41:53 pm
  • I break stuff...then fix it...sometimes
Re: Twilight Zone Display Board Problem (pinscore pin-w-dmd-01-5100)
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2015, 02:52:02 pm »
id say your chances of resurrecting that display are nil. i'd also be cautious plugging a new display on there or fear the same happening to that as well.

when resistors are catching fire it likely means the IC's upstream from them are dead shorted and dumping current through any ground it can. (in this case through the resistors)

the 100vdc used in the display to drive the plasma has been put somewhere it shouldn't... i'd go over the display power supply section with extreme scrutiny before plunking another display in there.

also....

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/rec.games.pinball/0KxBTTcNGTk

TopJimmyCooks

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 26, 2024, 01:18:39 pm
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2015, 03:24:26 pm »
pinscore doesn't make a power board or display driver board for williams WPC games.  must be something else. 

http://www.pinscore.com/

Karetaker

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 28, 2022, 08:19:40 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2015, 07:50:43 pm »
It was a Pinscore board. It was an old board that they didn't even have schematics to. I bought a new Rotten Dog board for it. I got it all fixed up and the guy came to pick it up yesterday. But, I did manage to get plenty of "Play Testing" in before he took it home.  ;D