Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: RASPBERRY PI and best way to power push button LED  (Read 14208 times)

corrupt27

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 17, 2021, 09:46:35 am
RASPBERRY PI and best way to power push button LED
« on: December 19, 2014, 06:44:14 am »
Hey guys,

My brother is building a bartop cabinet and is using a raspberry pi. He wants to buy the LED push button controllers. What is the best way to power the LED? Can I use the GPIO? Or maybe the USB Hub that powers the raspberry PI?

Thanks for the help

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 05:01:47 am
  • Designated spam hunter
Re: RASPBERRY PI and best way to power push button LED
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2014, 07:18:21 am »
How many LED buttons will he use?

Any idea which specific buttons he has in mind?

Is he planning on using single-color, always-on LED buttons (very easy to do) or is he thinking about using RGB LEDs for different colors and animation? (not sure if anyone has successfully used LED controller boards with the RasPi :dunno)

Scott

corrupt27

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2014, 12:53:41 pm »
He is planning on 22 buttons.

He wanted them to be constantly on as long as the arcade was on. He was looking at these:
http://www.ultimarc.com/ultralux.html

thank you for the help.

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
  • Designated spam hunter
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2014, 03:26:09 am »
You might want to have him check GGG and Paradise Arcade Shop, too.

The Ultimarc ones come with 5 Volt High Intensity LED lamps.
(not sure about the current draw, but 20-30 mA per LED would be a reasonable guess)

The GGG ones come with "superbright" 12v LEDs
(not sure about the current draw in these, but a Paradise 12v superbright powered by 5v draws about 11mA per LED)

My instinct is to recommend the Paradise buttons since they are available with standard 12v LEDs that draw less current.

Paradise 12v LEDs powered by 5v only draw 5.83 mA each. (128.26 mA for 22 of them)

You can use an additional current limiting resistor like R2 on the right half of the diagram below to reduce the current each LED draws.

I designed my portable modular CP to run off one USB connection that feeds an unpowered hub--maximum 100 mA current draw per connection.

It uses 3 Button Blaster LEDs with resistors from GGG (BB and R1), 14 LED 12V buttons from Paradise(LB), and an 11 ohm current limiting resistor (R2).

------------5V------------------------>
|     |    |           |     |     |    | 
BB  BB  BB       LB   LB  LB  LB (Total of 14)
|     |    |           |     |     |    | 
R1  R1  R1        -------------------->
|     |    |                    |
|     |    |                   R2
|     |    |                    |
-----------Ground--------

The left side is the trackball circuit, the right side is the buttons.
. . .
This whole 17 LED + resistor configuration draws about 81 mA.
In this configuration (LED Buttons in parallel + R2) the Paradise Arcade regular LEDs draw 3.7 mA each.

3.7mA * 22 buttons = 81.4 mA

Depending on how much current draw the RasPi can handle, you can use a slightly higher resistor value for R2 to bring the current draw down to an acceptable level.

You can test the current draw for different R2 values using 11 LEDs -- once you get them lighting at or below half the acceptable current draw, you can safely add the rest of the LEDs.

Ultimarc, GGG, and Paradise sell LED daisy chain wiring sets. (you'll need 2 sets for 22 buttons)

The questions to answer now are:

1. Where do you intend to connect the power for the LEDs? (input power supply, 5v pin on RasPi, separate wall wart, etc.)

2. How much current can you safely draw from that connection?

Scott

corrupt27

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2014, 09:39:07 am »
Hey PL1,

Thank you so much for the great explanation on the wiring and the suggestions on the buttons. But I have no idea where i can draw the power from. Can i get it from the raspberry PI? Or maybe the usb hub. I am not sure. Thats what my original question was for.

Thank you

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
  • Designated spam hunter
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2014, 10:33:07 am »
I have no idea where i can draw the power from. Can i get it from the raspberry PI? Or maybe the usb hub.
I'm not familiar with the power equirements or specs on the RasPi.

Hopefully, someone who has hands-on experience with them can chime in on using the input power or 5v from an output pin.

If the USB hub is powered, you can run any of those buttons with a simple USB power tap cable. (easy to make from an old cable or buy a pre-fab one here from GGG)

If the hub is unpowered, the USB spec calls for a maximum 100 mA current draw -- that's why I added R2 in the diagram above.

Scott

Jakobud

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 11, 2024, 04:45:38 am
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2014, 12:05:54 am »
You can power LEDs from any power source, doesn't have to be the Pi.

dn

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 05, 2015, 08:20:33 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2015, 08:02:38 pm »
Raspberry Pi's aren't intended to provide much power. I'd just get a 5v or 12v wall plug, cut the end off and connect the LED's accordingly. For 5v, an old USB style cell phone charger can work as a power supply.

mcseforsale

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 09, 2024, 03:07:41 pm
  • Creepy Mario Dude
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2015, 02:22:51 pm »
Check out the blue pill control panel.  Specifically how I power my EI2 buttons on blue only.

http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,117977.msg1266787.html#msg1266787

I'm powering a 6 post terminal block with 4 of the posts jumped together as (-) and the other as (+) and then a hacked USB cable to the PC powering the thing.  If you need 12v, you can hack a walwart to the same kit like I did on the speaker panel to power the amp and lights.

Here's the power block for my EI2 buttons.  The hacked cable plugs into a USB hub just outside the CP box:

Here's the block on top of the speaker panel that provides 12v with a hacked 12v 1MA walwart that powers the marquee CCFLs and the amp for the speakers:

AJ