Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: "Streets of Rage - Robinson Edition" : Racing Cab Project  (Read 21628 times)

ghetoprobe

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 25, 2017, 01:00:42 pm
  • SENSES FAIL
"Streets of Rage - Robinson Edition" : Racing Cab Project
« on: December 17, 2014, 12:54:21 pm »
Hey everyone, not too familiar with the BYOAC forum, but I figured I'd post here since this seems like the "hip" place to be.  I see a lot of really nice cabs on here and I took a few ideas from some of your builds.  Thanks to the mods and thank you for taking the time to check out my project!

Anyway, the reason for this post - a new racing cabinet build!  My father happened to be over at TNT Amusements in Southampton, PA earlier this summer and he noticed they had a gutted Cruis’n Exotica cabinet out back, waiting to be trashed.  He called, asked if I wanted it, and threw it in the back of his van.  It’s been sitting in my basement ever since and I’ve finally gotten around to “breaking ground” on the project.  This build thread is going to move quickly and will likely be all over the place – I’m a bit scatterbrained - so try to keep up.  Many build threads take months (or even years) to see the final product, but I have already done the majority of the prep work and have really been making a lot of progress over the last few weeks.  I’m hoping to have it 100% functional with a Playstation3 by the new year.  A custom PC build and Hyperspin configuration will come later in 2015.

Thank you :
  • To my wife and daughter for being patient with my temper when working on these types of projects and for helping me throughout the build.  Love you both so much.
  • To my parents for giving me the skills to take on a project like this from start to finish (well, almost finished).  I hope I make them proud doing stupid projects like this.
  • To “Bad Boy Bill” (Hyperspin) for changing my life.  Some people may think that’s a ridiculous statement, but I literally spent two years straight working on my first Hyperspin setup, back when things were slowly being pieced together around there.  He is a visionary and I always appreciated how well he handled the ungrateful a-holes – with class.
  • To “gbeef”, for giving me the inspiration to build this cab in the first place.  He may or may not frequent this forum any longer, but his “OutRun Paradise” build blew me away and his artwork and attention to detail are second to none.  Very, very impressive.  :  http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,111231.0.html
  • To “Lucian045” aka, Brad.  He generously gives back to our community by printing professional-quality artwork at extremely reasonable prices.  Nicest guy you’ll ever talk to and a fellow pin-head to boot.  Very knowledgeable about the printing process and what cab-builders need.  Couldn’t be happier with the process!  I would never use anyone else.  :  http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,134866.msg1391705.html#msg1391705
  • To “BadMouth” on the BYOAC forum.  I haven’t spent too much time on this forum (yet), but I liked the buttons on his racing cabinet so much I stole the artwork (sorry!).  Really appreciate the inspiration.  :  http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,105003.0.html
I’m sure there will be more thank-yous to add, but I really need to start posting some build pics or I may start putting people to sleep.  Now, some people like pictures of every step of the process – myself being one of them.  I’m trying to take as many pictures as possible throughout and if there’s anything that I can help with or clarify, please don’t hesitate to ask.  This community has done a lot for me and I have done relatively little to contribute.

Thanks for looking and please pardon the mess!  Without further ado, on to the build…

---  ---  ---  ---  ---  ---  ---  ---  ---  ---  ---  ---  ---  ---  ---  ---  ---  ---  ---  ---  ---  ---  ---  ---  ---  ---  ---  ---

Current Build Pics :

« Last Edit: December 27, 2014, 09:41:23 pm by ghetoprobe »

ghetoprobe

• Offline Offline
  • SENSES FAIL
Re: "Streets of Rage - Robinson Edition" : Racing Cab Project
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2014, 12:55:03 pm »
Here she is!  In all her beat-to-death glory!  This cabinet has seen better days, but I intend to resurrect the dead.  You can see the decal damage goes to the wood and there were some spray paint touch-ups done at some point.  The first step of the process was to find a matching seat/base for the cabinet since it didn’t come with them.  I found a guy about an hour away that had one from an “Off Road Thunder”.  It was expensive ($70), but I really didn’t feel like making one from scratch.  And, it wasn’t a perfect match either – the lip of the cab and the lip of the seat base are about 1/2in off.  Oh well, not a showstopper.  I’ve already pealed the artwork off of the seat base in these pictures.

« Last Edit: December 17, 2014, 01:00:18 pm by ghetoprobe »

ghetoprobe

• Offline Offline
  • SENSES FAIL
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2014, 01:13:22 pm »
The next steps were removing the artwork, pulling the t-molding, and removing the chewed up diamond plate.  The adhesive used on the original decals is insane.  It took two bottles of Goof-Off and a flat razor blade to get the decals off the cabinet.  Well over two or three hours of work to get every last bit clean.

ghetoprobe

• Offline Offline
  • SENSES FAIL
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2014, 01:35:32 pm »
Next up; creating the panels that will hold the 32" TV in place while hiding the bezel.  There was only one TV I could find that would fit within the precise 28.5" width of the cabinet.  It's a Samsung UN32H5500 and it juuust barely fit.  Maybe a 16th of an inch to spare.  It's more expensive than most 32" TVs, but I didn't want to have to cut channels or modify the cabinet more than I already had to.  After test fitting the TV I have to say that it fits perfectly.  I hit the panels with 5 coats of Glossy Black Enamel and they came out looking great. 

You can see in the second pic that the front-facing piece is 1/2" thick and shorter than the 3/4" pieces of MDF.  The front piece sits perfectly between the 1/2" vertical pieces already mounted to the cabinet.  These kind of act as the TV's bezel.

« Last Edit: December 17, 2014, 01:42:23 pm by ghetoprobe »

ghetoprobe

• Offline Offline
  • SENSES FAIL
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2014, 02:00:47 pm »
NEXT!  What's the first thing you do to a brand new set of racing pedals?  Correct!  Tear them apart.

I decided to go with the Logitech G27.  One, because it was cheap ($190) and, two, because the next step up to the T500RS is just too expensive for me to justify.  Yes, I'd love to dump a couple grand into a Fanatec setup, but this is just an arcade - not a racing simulator.

So, first things first, swap the pedal plates for reverse mounted pedal installation.  Referring to the "Chili Coke" instructional (http://chilicoke.com/mods/reversepedal.htm) I carefully tore apart the pedals and flipped them around the other way.  This feels much more natural than keeping your feet on the plastic foot rest the G27 pedal base has.

ghetoprobe

• Offline Offline
  • SENSES FAIL
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2014, 02:19:56 pm »
Let's spin this thing around and move to the back of the cabinet.  It didn't come with a door so I had to create my own.  I used 3/4" particle board and painted it with Glossy Black Enamel.  I ran into an issue when mounting the new lock where the locking arm would not reach the metal holding bracket.  The old locking arm had a square hole and the new arm had a oval-shaped hole, so I ended up epoxying them together so the lock would turn the new arm while still getting the reach of the old.  Confusing, yes, but it needed to be done.  Hopefully the pictures do a better job of explaining it than I just did...

ghetoprobe

• Offline Offline
  • SENSES FAIL
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2014, 02:42:06 pm »
So, the next step was quite the challenge.  I got a "leather" racing seat off eBay which came with sliders.  The seat itself was far too wide to fit within the narrow 14" channel that the wooden seat base had.  Two pieces of wood needed to be cut, one to fit within the 14" channel and the other needed to be wide enough to accommodate the seat rails.  Almost every bolt needed to be recessed so they wouldn't interfere with the rails or the sandwiching of the boards.

ghetoprobe

• Offline Offline
  • SENSES FAIL
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2014, 02:48:30 pm »
I also cut a slot for black t-molding to keep a nice, clean look.  The four holes toward the center of the boards are for mounting to the metal plate that mounts to the wooden base.  The outer four holes are for mounting the rails.  A larger hole was also cut in case I needed to run cabling.  These were hit with Glossy Black Enamel paint.

My lovely wife helping with the heavy-lifting while I took my sweet time mounting the seat to the rails, the rails to the boards, the boards to the metal mounting plate and the metal mounting plate to the base of the cabinet.  It’s much heavier than it looks.  "Just stand right there sweetie while I take this picture".

ghetoprobe

• Offline Offline
  • SENSES FAIL
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2014, 03:00:07 pm »
Here's everything put back together.  I mounted the steering wheel to get a feel for the control position and it feels like a million bucks.  The seat slides like butter and can handle anyone from 6'5" down to a kid.  My daughter (2), can't quite reach yet.

ghetoprobe

• Offline Offline
  • SENSES FAIL
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2014, 04:20:54 pm »
As you may have noticed, the marquee/enclosure/topper is missing.  I thought it would be nearly impossible to track one of these down.  I checked eBay, called all the local arcade restorers, asked around online...  nothing.  I finally put a "want ad" up on Craigslist and wouldn't you know, later THAT DAY a guy responded saying he had one available.  It was cracked, beaten and bruised, it didn't even have the Plexiglass piece for the marquee, but I didn't care.  I drove the hour to his place and sure enough, there was the silver marquee housing.  I believe they only made this marquee housing for a handful of games; "Cruis'n Exotica", "Faster Than Speed", "Fury Championship Racing" and "Ford Racing Full Blown".

$40 and half a tank of gas later, I had it in my possession!  I thought for sure I was never going to find one.  Thanks to "Tony Pinball" for helping me out!  Here's a few pics of it being prepped before paint.

« Last Edit: December 17, 2014, 05:06:31 pm by ghetoprobe »

ghetoprobe

• Offline Offline
  • SENSES FAIL
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2014, 04:29:57 pm »
Now I'm ready to hit it with some Krylon Fusion Glossy Black paint.  It goes on so nicely - specifically designed for painting plastics.  5 coats later I hit it with 4 coats of clear - it's gorgeous... it's perfect...

ghetoprobe

• Offline Offline
  • SENSES FAIL
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2014, 04:33:20 pm »
... I take it outside to see it in the sun and I drop it on a concrete slab.  Please kill me. 

I had to sand it down, fill the damage and prep the entire thing again.

« Last Edit: December 17, 2014, 04:36:27 pm by ghetoprobe »

ghetoprobe

• Offline Offline
  • SENSES FAIL
« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2014, 05:04:31 pm »
Okay, so 5 MORE coats of Krylon Fusion Glossy Black and 4 MORE coats of clear and we're good to go!  This time I didn't care what it looked like in the sun...

It looks nice in the pictures, but in person it's just gorgeous.  Very little "orange peel".  The Krylon Fusion lies very flat and kind of works out any imperfections on its own.  I highly recommend it.

ghetoprobe

• Offline Offline
  • SENSES FAIL
« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2014, 07:54:16 pm »
Next up are the speaker grills.  I cut up a mesh terrarium top and painted two pieces black.  Then I got two 140mm computer fan grills that had a honeycomb pattern, flattened them out, and painted them with Glossy Orange Enamel paint.  The reason behind the two layers was to hide the speaker a little better behind them.  The holes in the honeycomb are pretty large.

ghetoprobe

• Offline Offline
  • SENSES FAIL
« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2014, 08:08:36 pm »
Black mesh is installed, downward facing speakers are mounted and orange grills are in place.  By some miracle the speakers fit PERFECTLY in the existing mounting slots.  The feet of the speakers even fit perfectly over the wooden bar that runs the width of the cabinet.  The speaker system I'm using is a Logitech Z-5500 5.1 Surround system.  Not exactly sure where I'm going to put the massive sub woofer yet.

ghetoprobe

• Offline Offline
  • SENSES FAIL
« Reply #15 on: December 17, 2014, 08:19:39 pm »
Began cutting the boards for the pedals.  Getting the perfect angle where the pedals felt good yet the board wasn't coming past the inner curve of the cabinet was time consuming.  In the end I was able to get the best of both worlds and things feel just right.

ghetoprobe

• Offline Offline
  • SENSES FAIL
« Reply #16 on: December 17, 2014, 08:37:55 pm »
Finally, time to mount the pedals!  I drive a Honda Civic SI and love the pedal layout.  I emulated them as closely as possible - same height from the floor and same distance from each other.  They feel just like I'm sitting in my car.  Very happy with the way they turned out.

ghetoprobe

• Offline Offline
  • SENSES FAIL
« Reply #17 on: December 17, 2014, 08:55:47 pm »
Painting the pedal boards and screws in Glossy Black Enamel paint.

ghetoprobe

• Offline Offline
  • SENSES FAIL
« Reply #18 on: December 18, 2014, 07:55:20 am »
Mounting the pedals to the finished board.  I managed to drill the holes for the wiring so close to the pots that I had to use tweezers to pull them through.  Tight tolerances lend themselves to a clean look (I keep telling myself), although tight tolerances can cause more work, too.  The wiring on the back went well, but I had to be careful not to pinch it between the board and cabinet.  Looks good!

ghetoprobe

• Offline Offline
  • SENSES FAIL
« Reply #19 on: December 18, 2014, 10:01:56 am »
Pedal boards are permanently mounted!  You can see a little wood showing where the screws went in.  I'll just dab a drop of glossy black paint from a Sharpie paint stick and you'll never notice. 

I had to drill a hole for the "center" channel of the 5.1 surround system.  This speaker will be mounted underneath the dashboard area, just behind the steering wheel.  You won't be able to see it , but you'll definitely hear it.

ghetoprobe

• Offline Offline
  • SENSES FAIL
« Reply #20 on: December 18, 2014, 10:13:58 am »
Let's get some air flowing, shall we?  The lower fan (140mm) is mounted to the same mounting posts as the cab's old sub woofer.  This fan will pull air through the lower cutout and up toward the middle of the cabinet.  The upper fan is another 140mm.  Used a hole cutter and tried to center it as much as possible.  If you'll notice in the first few pics in this thread, you can see someone had cut three smaller holes in the top of the cab.  I wanted to cut them out completely so the center hole ended up being slightly off-center to cut those out entirely.  I was worried it would look "off" at first, but it came out looking fine.  A lot of wood was showing so I had to hit the entire cutout with a glossy black Sharpie stick.

Lower Fan :

Upper Fan :

ghetoprobe

• Offline Offline
  • SENSES FAIL
« Reply #21 on: December 18, 2014, 10:27:34 am »
Forgot to mention I cut the basic dashboard and then drilled the mounting holes.  :

« Last Edit: December 18, 2014, 10:31:22 am by ghetoprobe »

ghetoprobe

• Offline Offline
  • SENSES FAIL
« Reply #22 on: December 18, 2014, 10:45:30 am »
Next up:  wiring the "left" and "right" speakers and mounting the "center" speaker.  I purchased a bulk roll of 12 gauge speaker wire on eBay (250FT Speaker Cable 12AWG Bulk Audio Wire CL2 In Wall 12/2 Gauge).  It barely fit in the speaker terminals, but it's some serious wire and I'm glad I went with such a thick gauge.  For the "center" speaker I just covered the white cable with some black 3/8" shrink tubing so it wouldn't stand out.  I'm sure no one will ever look behind the speaker, behind the steering wheel, under the dashboard...  but I'm anal.  What if someone drops a pretzel and looks up at this hideous white cable?!  We can't have that.

And I know the "center" speaker looks like it would get in the way or you might hit your knees on it, but it's tucked back further than you would think.  The steering wheel will completely hide it from view.

« Last Edit: December 18, 2014, 10:48:57 am by ghetoprobe »

yotsuya

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 07:48:25 pm
  • 2014 UCA Winner, 2014, 2015, 2016 ZapCon Winner
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,137636.msg1420628.html
« Reply #23 on: December 18, 2014, 11:01:10 am »
I was with you right up until the center speaker. Other than that, I've been watching with interest.  :cheers:
***Build what you dig, bro. Build what you dig.***

ghetoprobe

• Offline Offline
  • SENSES FAIL
« Reply #24 on: December 18, 2014, 11:04:44 am »
I promise you won't even notice it once everything is put together.  Thanks for looking!

(I don't really know where else I could put it that would still be "hidden")
« Last Edit: December 18, 2014, 11:06:19 am by ghetoprobe »

Malenko

• KNEEL BEFORE ZODlenko!
  • Trade Count: (+58)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 26, 2024, 07:29:48 pm
  • Have you played with my GingerBalls?
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,142404.msg1475162.html
« Reply #25 on: December 18, 2014, 11:08:23 am »
I was with you right up until the center speaker. Other than that, I've been watching with interest.  :cheers:

same boat, thought you'd cut a hole in the pedal back board and mount it behind that. What plans do you have for the flooring and tmolding?
If you're replying to a troll you are part of the problem.
I also need to follow this advice. Ignore or report, don't reply.

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #26 on: December 18, 2014, 11:09:59 am »

same boat, thought you'd cut a hole in the pedal back board and mount it behind that.

:stupid

I think everything else looks outstanding, and I'm enjoying the thread.

ghetoprobe

• Offline Offline
  • SENSES FAIL
« Reply #27 on: December 18, 2014, 11:17:49 am »

same boat, thought you'd cut a hole in the pedal back board and mount it behind that. What plans do you have for the flooring and tmolding?

Funny you should say that.  I was thinking of cutting slots in the pedal board, or maybe just putting in a mesh speaker grill and cutting a hole.  My concern was that if you set the "center" channel back into the cab that far, it wouldn't be loud enough compared to the downward facing "left" and "right" speakers.  When I tested the 5.1 system it just sounded weak.  Maybe I'll reconsider at some point...  but believe me when I say you won't even notice it once everything is in place.  It just blends in behind the steering wheel.

Thanks for commenting.  I thought I was posting all this and no one was interested...

Flooring will be chrome diamond plate and the t-molding...  should I ruin the surprise? 

Malenko

• KNEEL BEFORE ZODlenko!
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #28 on: December 18, 2014, 11:24:31 am »
Ive been watching along too but didnt want to be the first comment, and it not be 100% positive :) I NEVER realized my Faster than Speed cab is the same as a Cruisn' Cab till I looked at your pix.  My cab has chrome molding, and I think it looks neat. I figured yours would be orange to match the speaker insets.

If you make a piece of plexi to fill in the marquee hole, feel free to make me 3 of them as well.

ghetoprobe

• Offline Offline
  • SENSES FAIL
« Reply #29 on: December 18, 2014, 11:34:05 am »
I figured yours would be orange to match the speaker insets.

If you make a piece of plexi to fill in the marquee hole, feel free to make me 3 of them as well.

Yep, it's the same orange as the speaker inserts.  It really looks nice considering the rest of the cab is mostly black.  And don't worry about not being 100% positive. I'll either take your advice or I won't.  Constructive criticism is ALWAYS welcome and appreciated.

I looked everywhere trying to find that plexi piece, but came up short.  I knew the plexi was going to be a challenge to make, but man...  it was hours of work and it still didn't come out 100%.  Sorry, but I don't want to ever make one of those again. 

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #30 on: December 18, 2014, 11:35:31 am »
Ive been watching along too but didnt want to be the first comment, and it not be 100% positive :)

Same here. I didn't want to break the flow. :cheers:

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #31 on: December 18, 2014, 11:36:57 am »
And don't worry about not being 100% positive. I'll either take your advice or I won't.  Constructive criticism is ALWAYS welcome and appreciated.

Someone who GETS it!  :cheers:

ghetoprobe

• Offline Offline
  • SENSES FAIL
« Reply #32 on: December 18, 2014, 11:50:08 am »
It's like the name we chose for the cab "Streets of Rage - Robinson Edition".  TERRIBLE name, but I can't hold up the entire project just because I'm indecisive.  I loved Streets of Rage on Genesis and it just seemed like a good fit for a racing cab.  And I'm proud of my family name, so I figure I'd go with something along the lines of "Gran Turismo 5 - XL Edition".  Anyway, feel free to critique all you want, I appreciate you taking the time to contribute.

ghetoprobe

• Offline Offline
  • SENSES FAIL
« Reply #33 on: December 18, 2014, 11:54:28 am »
So I've started on the shifter housing.  I've read a lot of threads and seen quite a few ways people have tried tackling these.  The shifter seems to be beat up more than any other part of the arcade controls.  People just slam on them.  In other builds I've seen they're either mounted directly to the dashboard, which makes you unnaturally reach out for the shifter - not like a true car at all.  Or, the shifter is precariously hanging off the console and wiggles around, looking as if it will break off at any moment.

It needed to come out away from the dashboard to be in a "real" driving position.  It needed to mount to the cabinet in a straightforward way so I could easily remove it in the future.  I also wanted it to look as attractive as possible.  Oh, and it needed to be build like a tank.  Hmmmmm.  Here was my solution :

ghetoprobe

• Offline Offline
  • SENSES FAIL
« Reply #34 on: December 18, 2014, 12:08:14 pm »
Now, to mount the shifter housing to the cab.  Like I mentioned, I wanted this thing to be SOLID.  I drilled four pilot holes, clamped it in place and drilled 1/4" holes for the 3" bolts.  I also used over-sized washers and those locking nylon threaded nuts to really help hold this thing in place.  I can literally grab the shifter and move the entire cabinet back and forth without any wiggle.  SOLID.

ghetoprobe

• Offline Offline
  • SENSES FAIL
« Reply #35 on: December 18, 2014, 12:28:59 pm »
Before I permanently mounted the shifter housing I wanted to get the dashboard made up to be sure everything fit together nicely.  First things first, the top piece of 3/4" MDF needed to be attached to the dashboard - this piece will cover the upper gap between the dashboard and the glass.  I also cut a template for the steering wheel, traced it to the dashboard and made my cuts on a scroll saw.

« Last Edit: December 18, 2014, 12:30:41 pm by ghetoprobe »

ghetoprobe

• Offline Offline
  • SENSES FAIL
« Reply #36 on: December 18, 2014, 12:38:50 pm »
Time to attach the bottom piece of 3/4" MDF to the dashboard.  This piece tightly fits between the shifter housing and the main board in the cabinet.  Everything fit together perfectly!  It's actually kind of starting to look like a racing cabinet.

ghetoprobe

• Offline Offline
  • SENSES FAIL
« Reply #37 on: December 18, 2014, 12:53:28 pm »
Next step is to break out the router and cut the slot for the dashboard's t-molding.  This will just be regular black t-molding, but I wanted a durable surface so the dashboard wouldn't get messed up pulling the steering wheel in and out.  Not to mention it looks much nicer than painted MDF.

I also rounded the corners  of the dashboard to give it a cleaner look.

Malenko

• KNEEL BEFORE ZODlenko!
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #38 on: December 18, 2014, 01:08:06 pm »
Streets of Race is funnier.

ghetoprobe

• Offline Offline
  • SENSES FAIL
« Reply #39 on: December 18, 2014, 01:15:56 pm »
See, now that's funny.  It dawned on me that I should have asked around the forums for some suggestions first.  I got impatient and just wanted to get things moving so it is what it is, the marquee and decals have already been printed.  Next build I'm definitely asking for some suggestions...

ghetoprobe

• Offline Offline
  • SENSES FAIL
« Reply #40 on: December 18, 2014, 01:32:59 pm »
Next up - some glitz & glam - I normally feel that LEDs and glowing computer fans are gaudy and take away from the overall appearance of most things.  "Let the machine be the show" is my usual stance, but then I saw gbeef's build and how well he integrated the LEDs into the cabinet.  Not over-the-top, in-your-face LED's - just a little bit of a light show to accent the cabinet.  And beyond that, you can easily turn them off if they're too distracting.

I dropped the IR down through an existing hole in the main cabinet board, you can barely see it, but it does pretty well picking up the remote from across the room.  The controller is mounted toward the right-hand wall of the cabinet and I'm using a 12v 4a power supply from an old laptop (I originally used a 12v 1a power supply and blew it up.  Whoops!  Should have checked the label.).  I also installed a "green" HP power strip so when the PC/PS3 turns on, everything else turns on as well.

ghetoprobe

• Offline Offline
  • SENSES FAIL
« Reply #41 on: December 18, 2014, 01:46:23 pm »
I had to add a board to the bottom of the seat base to accommodate the LED strips.  I wanted the light to be as even as possible so I purchased some 90° elbows off eBay for the LED strips.  Bad move...  these things are terrible and I DO NOT recommend them.  Save yourself the trouble and just solder the connections yourself.  I think I'm going to flip the cabinet over and solder every connection point by hand.  What a waste of time and money.  I guess that's what happens when you try to take shortcuts.

ghetoprobe

• Offline Offline
  • SENSES FAIL
« Reply #42 on: December 18, 2014, 01:53:43 pm »
With the LED strips all pinned in place I used 1/2" split loom to hide the wiring.  A also cut a single piece of LEDs to use as a test - if these turn on and the rest of the cab is dark, at least I know the power supply and controller are okay.

ghetoprobe

• Offline Offline
  • SENSES FAIL
« Reply #43 on: December 18, 2014, 02:04:16 pm »
With the LED strips all pinned in place I used 1/2" split loom to hide the wiring.  I also cut a single piece of LEDs to use as a test - if these turn on and the rest of the cab is dark, at least I know the power supply and controller are okay.

Forgot to mention the LED strips I'm using are RGB 5050's with the weather-proof rubber on them.  I used these for our halloween costumes this year and they took abuse from a 2-year-old and I running around all night.  They also can do WAY more colors than the 3528's.  Well worth the few extra dollars.

« Last Edit: December 18, 2014, 03:02:07 pm by ghetoprobe »

BadMouth

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 25, 2024, 08:10:48 pm
« Reply #44 on: December 18, 2014, 02:15:45 pm »
Forgot to mention the LED strips I'm using are RGB 5050's with the weather-proof rubber on them.  I used these for our halloween costumes this year and they took abuse from a 2-year-old and I running around all night.  They also can do WAY more colors than the 3528's.  Well worth the few extra dollars.

:lol  Pretty sure I saw those pics on the front page of Reddit around Halloween.  :cheers:

ghetoprobe

• Offline Offline
  • SENSES FAIL
« Reply #45 on: December 18, 2014, 02:26:55 pm »
BadMouth, hope you don't mind, but I kind of stole your idea for my buttons.  I just loved the way yours looked so I modeled mine after them.  Thanks for sharing your build with us, it definitely gave me a few good ideas.

BadMouth

• Offline Offline
« Reply #46 on: December 18, 2014, 02:57:29 pm »
BadMouth, hope you don't mind, but I kind of stole your idea for my buttons.  I just loved the way yours looked so I modeled mine after them.  Thanks for sharing your build with us, it definitely gave me a few good ideas.

I put it out there because I thought it was the best solution and hoped it would become the standard.
I still think when connected to a keyboard encoder, it's the best possible setup for navigating PC game menus.

ghetoprobe

• Offline Offline
  • SENSES FAIL
« Reply #47 on: December 18, 2014, 03:08:36 pm »
Here she is, all lit up.  If you've never seen these LED kits, they're pretty cool - you can fade, flash, brighten, darken, even create a "custom" color.

« Last Edit: December 19, 2014, 10:55:43 am by ghetoprobe »

ghetoprobe

• Offline Offline
  • SENSES FAIL
« Reply #48 on: December 18, 2014, 03:18:48 pm »
This may be a little off-topic, but I have a confession to make.  I'm messy.  Very, very messy.  After losing my drill for well over 15 minutes (it was behind me) I figured it was time to clean up my work space a little bit.  Here's the before and after - hopefully a few of you can relate.  I'm sure it will degrade again quickly.

ghetoprobe

• Offline Offline
  • SENSES FAIL
« Reply #49 on: December 18, 2014, 03:49:21 pm »
Moving on!  My faux carbon fiber vinyl finally arrived!  Time to wrap the shifter housing.  I was sure to wrap the bottom as well - you never know when someone might fall on the floor and look up at the hideous, bare MDF...  what is wrong with me...

I'm glad I did the shifter housing first, as opposed to the actual cabinet decals.  There's definitely a learning curve to getting the razor blade to cut just right.  My advice for cutting vinyl is to use a brand new razor blade.  Cutting at a 30°-45° angle away from the wood really seemed to be the sweet spot for accurate cuts.  I also put some t-molding on the shifter housing so you can start to get an idea of the art-direction. 

« Last Edit: December 18, 2014, 03:53:57 pm by ghetoprobe »

ghetoprobe

• Offline Offline
  • SENSES FAIL
« Reply #50 on: December 18, 2014, 07:05:48 pm »
Here's the top of the shifter housing being mounted to the cabinet.  It's solid as a rock.  There are a few other things that need to be addressed before permanently mounting the shifter so we'll come back to that.

ghetoprobe

• Offline Offline
  • SENSES FAIL
« Reply #51 on: December 18, 2014, 07:34:14 pm »
Let's cut some diamond plate.  This isn't the really thick diamond plate, it's the thin, embossed type of sheet you can get at Home Depot.  We'll see how well it holds up, but I don't intend to put this thing on route.  I roughed up the underside of the diamond plate and the places I would be gluing it to.  Sprayed it with a little bit of water and used Gorilla Glue to glue it down.  I used Irwin clamps (love them) whenever I could, but for the large plate at the base of the cabinet I just used heavy blocks of wood to apply pressure.

I also made some corner/edge protectors that I'll be painting black.  They're a little thick, keeping the seat base from mating with the cabinet well.  I may end up pulling these if I can find a thinner 90° piece of metal.  I used a #8 countersink so the screws would sit flat in the metal trim.

Generic Eric

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 05, 2024, 09:02:23 am
  • Restore! Don't maim for MAME, build from scratch!
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,143226.0.html
« Reply #52 on: December 18, 2014, 10:10:09 pm »
Very cool so far.

ghetoprobe

• Offline Offline
  • SENSES FAIL
« Reply #53 on: December 20, 2014, 04:56:05 pm »
The next two steps kind of went hand-in-hand.  I needed to build the base for the steering wheel and also needed to take into account a shelf for the Z-5500's sub woofer.  This would be a VERY tight fit between the two, not to mention the steering wheel base needed to be at an angle to bring the steering wheel to a more natural position.  Here's how I made the shelf for the sub woofer :

After cutting the shelf to size I realized it was going to block most of the airflow from the lower part of the cabinet.  I drilled out two holes for 80mm fans and two holes for cabling running up the sides of the cab.  Then it was time to cut the angled pieces along the sides of the cab.  I tried to keep the sub woofer shelf as level as possible since the inner board in the cabinet slopes down toward the back of the cabinet.  Now I can easily remove the shelf without disturbing any cabling, mounting brackets, etc.

ghetoprobe

• Offline Offline
  • SENSES FAIL
« Reply #54 on: December 20, 2014, 05:20:25 pm »
After consulting my wife, she and I both felt that the steering wheel position was too far from the driver when the seat was pushed back for a 5'8"or larger person.  So, I threw caution to the wind and purchased an additional set of seat rails.  In the pictures you will first see the base, then the steering wheel mounting board with the t-molding slot cut.  You can get an idea of how steep the angle needed to be to get the wheel facing down toward the driver.

« Last Edit: December 20, 2014, 05:28:44 pm by ghetoprobe »

ghetoprobe

• Offline Offline
  • SENSES FAIL
« Reply #55 on: December 20, 2014, 05:50:31 pm »
Here's the upper board that the steering wheel will be mounted to.  After mounting the rails I realized I would need to drill holes into the steering wheel plastic so it would sit flat against the board.  Kind of nerve-racking, drilling into a brand new toy.

ghetoprobe

• Offline Offline
  • SENSES FAIL
« Reply #56 on: December 20, 2014, 06:09:52 pm »
Faux carbon fiber wrap applied with some black t-molding to help everything blend in with the dashboard.  I'm trying to keep the entire steering wheel mounting and slider as hidden as possible. I also had to recess the bolts that lock the steering wheel in place so the slider lever could move freely.  In the end, adding these sliders gives the wheel about 2-inches of travel.  That may not sound like a lot, but it's a HUGE difference.  Now, even with the seat all the way back for a 6'5" body, it feels just right.  VERY happy that I put in the extra effort for the sliders.

You may notice that the bottom slider rails have washers under the bolts, while the top slider rails do not.  The washers made everything fit snugly, so there is very little wiggle when FFB kicks in.

« Last Edit: December 20, 2014, 06:17:37 pm by ghetoprobe »

ghetoprobe

• Offline Offline
  • SENSES FAIL
« Reply #57 on: December 20, 2014, 06:34:38 pm »
Black trim pieces for the diamond plate are painted and mounted.  Also peeled the protective layer from the diamond plate to expose the chrome.  It's finally starting to feel like an arcade.  So many little steps are finally adding up to something tangible.

ghetoprobe

• Offline Offline
  • SENSES FAIL
« Reply #58 on: December 21, 2014, 07:31:56 am »
I came home to find a package leaning against the front door.  Clear the dining room table sweetie!  It's time to get this build moving!

Originally, I went over to a local sign store to get a quote for the decals.  $600+ after tax.  Crazy.  Speaking with the salesman, I could tell that he had never printed decals for a project quite like this and his suggestions on the material were questionable.  Spending that much money on an educated guess wasn't good enough for me to pull the trigger.

Then, I remembered that Lucian045 had offered his printing services to the community.  I contacted him, we chatted for an hour and I could tell my artwork was in good hands.  As I mentioned in my first post, Lucian045 is a huge asset to this community.  I made the artwork - he made it a reality.  He is knowledgeable, helpful, and got the artwork to my door very quickly.  If there's any question in your mind whom to use for your next set of decals, Lucian045 (Brad) is the best.  Hands down.

http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,134866.msg1391705.html#msg1391705

The packaging was top-notch.  It had an outer layer of protective paper and it even came with an applicator!  Thanks, Brad!

ghetoprobe

• Offline Offline
  • SENSES FAIL
« Reply #59 on: December 21, 2014, 08:10:56 am »
Time for some fun!  3/4" t-molding never seems to cover 3/4" wood.  There always seems to be the slightest gap showing so I used a glossy black Sharpie paint pen to paint the t-molding channel edges.  After the first decal was applied and cut to shape, the edge of the artwork had white showing.  I hit it again with the Sharpie paint pen which hid the edge nicely.  Orange t-molding applied.

« Last Edit: December 21, 2014, 08:24:45 am by ghetoprobe »

ghetoprobe

• Offline Offline
  • SENSES FAIL
« Reply #60 on: December 21, 2014, 09:07:51 am »
On to the left side...

ghetoprobe

• Offline Offline
  • SENSES FAIL
« Reply #61 on: December 21, 2014, 09:23:38 am »
Now for the "license plate".  This was my wife's idea and I think it turned out so well.  I started off with orange t-molding at the bottom, but realized it was a little overkill.  Replaced it with some black t-molding and I think it looks much better.

My little helper kept the soundtrack going the entire time, "Let it go!  Let it go!!". 

ghetoprobe

• Offline Offline
  • SENSES FAIL
« Reply #62 on: December 21, 2014, 09:47:01 am »
Seat base hardware is painted black and the seat base is all put together.  The brackets on the back are for mounting the rear speakers.  Mounting the speakers into the seat's headrest just wasn't going to cut it.  I wanted the Z-5500's rear speakers intact behind the driver to provide the best sound possible.  Although our party guests won't likely care about the immersive experience that the 5.1 surround offers, I will. 

Keeping this project looking like an arcade while offering more of a sim-racing experience has been quite the challenge.  If I'm spending this much time and money on the project I want it to handle the newer racing games to the fullest extent possible.  The rear speakers won't be the most attractive setup ever conceived, but they'll get the job done and will move around with the cabinet once installed (I didn't want to have separate speaker stands).  Let's hope my plan pans out...

« Last Edit: December 21, 2014, 05:39:27 pm by ghetoprobe »

Malenko

• KNEEL BEFORE ZODlenko!
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #63 on: December 21, 2014, 10:20:51 am »

I used that idea of his too when I had a racing cab:

Your build is coming together both fast and furiously (PUN!)   Great work so far, you trying to get this done by this Thursday or something? ;)

ghetoprobe

• Offline Offline
  • SENSES FAIL
« Reply #64 on: December 21, 2014, 11:37:33 am »
Great work so far, you trying to get this done by this Thursday or something? ;)

I'd love to get this done for Christmas, but I don't know if that'll happen.  The build is almost done so I'm not blowing through it as quickly as my posts would suggest.  I'm just now getting around to putting up all the pictures and explanation.  Hopefully I can get a video up before Christmas.

I really like your button artwork.  The gradient on the color rays and the blended checkered flag look really good.  Very cool!  Once I finish up this project (at least until it's Playstation3-playable) I'd like to look through all of your cab builds and restores.  You've been busy!

Malenko

• KNEEL BEFORE ZODlenko!
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #65 on: December 21, 2014, 11:50:23 am »
I haven't been that busy, just been around for 15 years :)   As a Flyers Fan, I love the colors you chose and I must say that faux vanity plate is a nice touch!

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #66 on: December 21, 2014, 12:39:25 pm »
Love the license plate. I did something similar on my racing cab - I used a 12v neon motorcycle license plate holder and had a custom motorcycle plate made up for mine:

ghetoprobe

• Offline Offline
  • SENSES FAIL
« Reply #67 on: December 22, 2014, 02:05:48 pm »
As a Flyers Fan, I love the colors you chose

I hadn't even noticed...  shame on me, being from Philly and all...   I actually chose these colors to pay homage to my best friend.  He and I used to race around in our cars when we were younger and everything he bought and wore was black and orange.  Thought I'd give him a surprise when he eventually gets over to my place and sees this thing.

I did something similar on my racing cab

I love the look of neon.  Wish I could have put neon bulbs on the underside of the cabinet, but they were too expensive.  Great idea with the motorcycle plate, I should have picked up a real one.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2014, 02:35:33 pm by ghetoprobe »

ghetoprobe

• Offline Offline
  • SENSES FAIL
« Reply #68 on: December 22, 2014, 02:06:13 pm »
Time to print the buttons.  Again, a quick thank you to BadMouth for the inspiration. 

I went to Staples and bought Avery 15660 labels which are clear and sized right.  I also downloaded a Photoshop template for the 15660's to make my life easier.  For the buttons I bought a pack of SuzoHapp buttons used in a poker machine (I'm assuming).  Took a little sandpaper and scraped off the text to leave a white face for the new button art. 

ghetoprobe

• Offline Offline
  • SENSES FAIL
« Reply #69 on: December 22, 2014, 02:24:53 pm »
Next up was the Marquee Plexi.  What a terrible adventure this was.  Shaping Plexi is probably the most miserable thing I've had to do thus far.  I did a rough trace of the marquee hole, then cut the oval out with my scroll saw.  From there it was all belt sander...  I used the coarsest grit I had (120), taking a little bit off at a time, trying not to leave the Plexi on the belt long so it wouldn't melt.  Once I was satisfied I polished the edges with a buffing wheel.  Maybe took an hour to get it looking acceptable.  Not perfect, but once it's mounted I don't think anyone will be able to notice the imperfections.

Drilled out the holes, pealed the plastic protector and applied the marquee with some soap and water - just a rough cutout to get the air bubbles out.  Now to let it dry overnight...

« Last Edit: December 22, 2014, 02:29:33 pm by ghetoprobe »

ghetoprobe

• Offline Offline
  • SENSES FAIL
« Reply #70 on: December 22, 2014, 02:34:48 pm »
The marquee has dried so now it's time to take a razor blade to it!  After the initial cutout, cut each of the twelve mounting holes, popped in the small screws and mounted it to the marquee housing.  Wow!  It looks absolutely amazing in person.

« Last Edit: December 22, 2014, 02:43:25 pm by ghetoprobe »

Malenko

• KNEEL BEFORE ZODlenko!
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #71 on: December 22, 2014, 05:10:20 pm »
since I cant convince you to make me one, can you send me a template for the plexi?   the marquee in my FTS cab is shattered cant trace it.

Yours looks amazeballs

MrThunderwing

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 03:06:18 pm
  • As I pass, do I give you the ass or the crotch?
« Reply #72 on: December 22, 2014, 07:26:03 pm »
Wow, that's shaping up very nicely. Outstanding work!

ghetoprobe

• Offline Offline
  • SENSES FAIL
« Reply #73 on: December 22, 2014, 09:24:29 pm »
Thanks for the kind words, slowly but surely, I'm getting there...

Malenko, let me finish up this project and maybe in the next month or so I can whip something up for you.  I'll need to take the marquee apart to make a template for you.

ghetoprobe

• Offline Offline
  • SENSES FAIL
« Reply #74 on: December 22, 2014, 09:37:04 pm »
Oh man!  Time to prep the cabinet!  I filled in all the holes that I wouldn't be using and prepped the edges to get as close to a 90° angle as possible.  Looking forward to finally getting the artwork finished!!

Here are a few images of the base and cabinet almost ready to be bolted together :

ghetoprobe

• Offline Offline
  • SENSES FAIL
« Reply #75 on: December 22, 2014, 10:11:07 pm »
I sanded down the cabinet and the t-molding edges, used "Goo Gone" to get any little pieces of glue left over from the original decals, hit it with some 91% isoproyl, and then used a tack cloth to get any remaining bits of dust.  This is my first time using tack cloth and I'm in love...  I'll never do another project without it.  All edges got the glossy-black-Sharpie-paint-pen treatment.

THANK YOU to my wife.  I could not have applied the cabinet decals without her.  They're each 37"x74".  That is a huge, very expensive, hard-to-work-with sheet of amazingness that I would have TOTALLY screwed up if she hadn't been there to help.  We put the cabinet down on its side, my wife stood on a stool holding up the artwork, and we slowly rolled the backing a couple inches at a time.  Slowly, we worked out the air bubbles and managed to get a pretty incredible end-result.  A few times there was the smallest speck of dust that would get caught - we would just pull up the artwork, pick it off with a razor blade, and re-apply.  The material itself was extremely easy to work with, on the other hand, the size of the print was not.  Another thank you to Lucian045 for helping me out with the printing process.

So here she is!!!

« Last Edit: December 22, 2014, 10:46:39 pm by ghetoprobe »

Malenko

• KNEEL BEFORE ZODlenko!
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #76 on: December 22, 2014, 11:03:33 pm »
looks amazeballs.  You going to put the subwoofer under the seat?

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #77 on: December 22, 2014, 11:35:57 pm »
Looks great! Brad provides a great product.

ghetoprobe

• Offline Offline
  • SENSES FAIL
« Reply #78 on: December 23, 2014, 06:24:48 am »
Thanks!  Wish I could have put the sub under the seat, but it's huge and it barely fits in the back of the cabinet.  I had to build a custom shelf so I had somewhere to put it.  My first attempt at the surround sound was with a Logitech Z-640 and it just wasn't up to the task.  That sub woofer fit under the seat, but once the plate and seat were installed you couldn't hear it at all.  That's why I ended up going with the Z-5500 - it shakes the house.

ghetoprobe

• Offline Offline
  • SENSES FAIL
« Reply #79 on: December 23, 2014, 06:25:28 am »
Now that the artwork is done it's time to cut some holes.  When I originally got the cabinet it was missing half of the bolts and associated hardware.  I looked everywhere for the flat, black bolts that sit flat in the side of the cabinet.  After wasting hours on the search I ended up getting carriage bolts designed for garage doors (http://www.garagedoorpartsupply.com/bolt-carriage-plated-1-4-20-x-2-1-4-12-pk/) (if anyone knows where to get the "real" bolts I'd love to know for future reference).  I painted them black and they worked perfectly.  Once painted, you can't tell the difference between the original bolts and the new ones (except for length).

Once the hardware was installed I permanently attached the gear shift housing and shifter.

« Last Edit: December 23, 2014, 06:27:43 am by ghetoprobe »

ghetoprobe

• Offline Offline
  • SENSES FAIL
« Reply #80 on: December 23, 2014, 06:43:16 am »
For the marquee housing I used security bolts and rubber washers - I didn't want to crack the plastic in case I got a little overzealous.

ghetoprobe

• Offline Offline
  • SENSES FAIL
« Reply #81 on: December 23, 2014, 06:51:46 am »
All put together for a test-fit! 

Progress!!

BadMouth

• Offline Offline
« Reply #82 on: December 23, 2014, 09:20:17 am »
Looks awesome and makes me feel very lazy for not working on my own.  :cheers:

Le Chuck

• Saint, make a poll!
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 26, 2024, 08:00:17 pm
  • <insert personal text here>
« Reply #83 on: December 23, 2014, 10:30:31 am »
This is gorgeous! Great execution.

ghetoprobe

• Offline Offline
  • SENSES FAIL
« Reply #84 on: December 23, 2014, 12:44:10 pm »
Thanks, BadMouth.  Get back to work!  ;D  I want to see what you come up with next.  You're working on a two-player racing setup, correct?

Le Chuck, your builds are insane.  I'll have to post the "Mario Bros" micro cabinet I built.  Didn't realize this forum was for those, too! 
« Last Edit: December 23, 2014, 01:57:13 pm by ghetoprobe »

ghetoprobe

• Offline Offline
  • SENSES FAIL
« Reply #85 on: December 23, 2014, 12:47:12 pm »
Got some corner protectors from "Twisted Quarter" on eBay (which is also where I got my t-molding).  The rear corners of the cab were kind of chewed up and I really didn't feel like taking the time to fill them when they were likely to get messed up anyway.  These corner protectors look nice and now I don't have to worry as much if I choose to relocate it.

ghetoprobe

• Offline Offline
  • SENSES FAIL
« Reply #86 on: December 23, 2014, 01:51:04 pm »
A $30 spring arrived from Australia!  Under normal circumstances I would never spend $30 on a spring, but the time and effort saved by buying this was well worth it.  The company, GTEYE, must have put some time into perfecting the spring pressure so I just went with it.  And I'm so glad I did!  The stock springs in the G27 pedals are "squishy" and make the pedals feel like a toy, not like a real car at all.

The spring I ordered was for the brake pedal, so the stock brake spring was moved to the clutch, and the clutch spring moved to the gas pedal.  MUCH BETTER.  Now it feels on-par with my Civic SI's pedals.  Very happy with my purchase.

Old springs on the left, upgraded springs on the right...

Brake :

Clutch :

Accelerator :

BadMouth

• Offline Offline
« Reply #87 on: December 23, 2014, 03:23:45 pm »
Hmmm.....I wonder if you could duplicate that progressive spring for the brake by heating and squishing one end of a longer spring?
Would probably take more than $30 of my time to figure it out.  :-\

ghetoprobe

• Offline Offline
  • SENSES FAIL
« Reply #88 on: December 23, 2014, 03:52:40 pm »
Hmmm.....I wonder if you could duplicate that progressive spring for the brake by heating and squishing one end of a longer spring?
Would probably take more than $30 of my time to figure it out.  :-\

That's exactly what I was thinking.  It's just inexpensive enough where I'd rather pay for one than try to find/craft one myself.  At $40 I would have started researching the art of spring-making.

ghetoprobe

• Offline Offline
  • SENSES FAIL
« Reply #89 on: December 23, 2014, 04:21:24 pm »
Alright, time to do a little work on the dashboard/control panel.  First up; drill some holes.  After measuring and making pilot holes, I almost began drilling standard 1.125" holes for arcade buttons.  Then I realized that the pushbuttons I'm using aren't nearly as wide as the standard arcade buttons, they're only 15/16".  I would have been a very sad panda if I hadn't caught that. 

Let's test-fit some pushbuttons!

ghetoprobe

• Offline Offline
  • SENSES FAIL
« Reply #90 on: December 23, 2014, 04:36:46 pm »
NEXT!  Time to wrap the dashboard in faux carbon fiber vinyl.  At $5/shipped for a 12"x60" roll, I just can't believe how good the quality is.  Even the adhesive is pretty good. 

ghetoprobe

• Offline Offline
  • SENSES FAIL
« Reply #91 on: December 23, 2014, 04:44:13 pm »
On to the t-molding:  As I said in a previous post when cutting the t-molding slot, I'm sticking with black t-molding on the dashboard to help make things blend a bit better.  I want the driver's attention to be on the screen and the lit control buttons, not a loud, orange stripe in the middle of the console.

ghetoprobe

• Offline Offline
  • SENSES FAIL
« Reply #92 on: December 23, 2014, 05:02:12 pm »
At first, I kind of wanted to do a padded dashboard like BadMouth's, but I just couldn't envision a good way of going about it without already having a plastic dashboard.  After some thought (and trial and error) I think I figured out way to make the dash a little more interesting than just the flat carbon fiber look.  I looked around for days trying to find something "interesting" that would fit with the look of the dashboard setup.  We had two DVD organization trays in our entertainment center, each with a vertical "fin" that held the DVDs in place.  We don't own DVDs any longer so I pulled both trays out and cut the "fins" off.  They help give the dashboard a more three dimensional look.  Once again, I relied heavily on "Gorilla Glue" and my precious Irwin clamps.

ghetoprobe

• Offline Offline
  • SENSES FAIL
« Reply #93 on: December 23, 2014, 06:43:49 pm »
While we wait for the "Gorilla Glue" to dry let's run some speaker cable.  I used a 12-pin Molex connector between the cabinet and the seat base.  4 pins for the RGB LEDs, 4 pins for the rear speakers and 4 pins for "future growth" - nothing planned yet, just wanted to leave myself options.  I also took the opportunity to tidy up the cabling and start mounting it to the cab with cable clamps.

Fursphere

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 06:25:06 pm
« Reply #94 on: December 23, 2014, 08:52:19 pm »
Thats a nice looking cabinet!   :cheers:

ghetoprobe

• Offline Offline
  • SENSES FAIL
« Reply #95 on: December 24, 2014, 07:26:12 am »
Thanks!  Its finally starting to come together.  Feels like an eternity getting this thing built.

ghetoprobe

• Offline Offline
  • SENSES FAIL
« Reply #96 on: December 24, 2014, 07:27:10 am »
The Samsung UN32H5500 I got doesn't leave a lot of options for airflow.  A few small slits on the top and a few small slits on the bottom - both of which are right where the mounting bolts go.  Genius!  I ended making two horizontal mounting brackets as thin as possible while still feeling solid enough to keep the TV in place.  These two pieces get locked in place by two vertical boards running up the sides of the cabinet.  It works, it's solid, and it was the best/quickest solution I could come up with while still keeping the original mounting bolts in the sides of the cabinet.

The bezel of the TV is completely hidden without obstructing any of the screen itself, it came out looking really nice.  Also got some tempered glass from a local shop.  A little on the expensive-side ($50), but fits perfectly.  One thing to note when buying your own glass;  tell them NOT to etch their logo onto the glass.  Luckily, the company's logo on mine hides up in the top channel so you can barely see it.

ghetoprobe

• Offline Offline
  • SENSES FAIL
« Reply #97 on: December 24, 2014, 07:37:16 am »
Almost time to install the sub woofer.  I wanted to do a quick test-fit for the sub woofer's shelf and the steering wheel's sliding base to make sure they didn't run into each other.  It's a Christmas miracle!!  There may be an 1/8th of an inch between the two.  That's toit!!

ghetoprobe

• Offline Offline
  • SENSES FAIL
« Reply #98 on: December 24, 2014, 08:55:24 am »
For whatever reason, I have a mental block when it comes to labeling cables.  I always dive right in, start pulling them throughout a project and realize... oh crap... where do these go?  Multimeter time!  Sub woofer is now installed and cabled.

ghetoprobe

• Offline Offline
  • SENSES FAIL
« Reply #99 on: December 24, 2014, 09:15:53 am »
Here's the quick, temporary shelf for the Playstation3.  Anyone know how to get a PS3 to start-up directly to the disc that's already loaded in the drive?  This new media-center crap is frustrating.  I just want a good, old-fashioned console that plays games!

Fursphere

• Offline Offline
« Reply #100 on: December 24, 2014, 12:45:24 pm »
http://uk.playstation.com/ps3/support/general/detail/linked235346/item64301/Automatically-play-disc-content-when-you-start-your-PS3/

I think?  I've never tried it with mine. 

How do you feel about the sub woofer bouncing the PS3's hard drive around? 

ghetoprobe

• Offline Offline
  • SENSES FAIL
« Reply #101 on: December 24, 2014, 01:00:27 pm »
Thanks Fursphere!  I think it may be because I have multiple user accounts and no auto-login.  I appreciate you taking the time to look that up for me!

I'm not really worried about the hard drive. The PS3 is temporary and should only be in there for a few months.  If it dies, so be it, they're under $100 to replace now.  When I build the PC it'll have SSDs running everything.  I actually think I'm more concerned about the TV getting rattled - should be fine though.  I'll be sure to post if I blow anything up!

Thanks again for the PS3 tips!

ghetoprobe

• Offline Offline
  • SENSES FAIL
« Reply #102 on: December 24, 2014, 01:13:49 pm »
It's time to drill a hole for the "start" button.  The button threading wasn't long enough to pass all the way through the black plastic fin and 3/4" MDF.  I had to recess the nut pretty far to make it work.  Also found my nut wrench from a previous build.  Best $2 I ever spent.

ghetoprobe

• Offline Offline
  • SENSES FAIL
« Reply #103 on: December 24, 2014, 01:31:33 pm »
Installing the rest of the buttons was a little rough.  Each nut needed a 1/3 shaved down so the feet of the button would fully travel up and down.  Once the buttons were in and performing well I drilled the four holes for the RAM mount.

« Last Edit: December 24, 2014, 01:38:01 pm by ghetoprobe »

ghetoprobe

• Offline Offline
  • SENSES FAIL
« Reply #104 on: December 24, 2014, 01:40:17 pm »
Installing the RAM mount...

« Last Edit: December 24, 2014, 01:43:17 pm by ghetoprobe »

ghetoprobe

• Offline Offline
  • SENSES FAIL
« Reply #105 on: December 24, 2014, 01:54:08 pm »
It's going to be a tight fit behind the control panel.  Feet were installed, LED-wiz+GP installed, wiring for the button mappings installed and tested.

« Last Edit: December 24, 2014, 02:06:51 pm by ghetoprobe »

ghetoprobe

• Offline Offline
  • SENSES FAIL
« Reply #106 on: December 24, 2014, 02:19:36 pm »
I've wired normal pushbuttons in the past, but I've never worked with an LED-wiz+GP before.  Here are some pics of the lights all wired up.  I also put in a DC-to-DC step-down converter to bring the 12v from the PC down to 6.3v for the pinball LEDs I'll be using.  Doing a quick test with a 9v battery, it seemed to work great.  I also tested the LED-wiz+GP and everything worked flawlessly.  The button mappings and sequenced illuminated lights all seemed to be working great. 

I know the pictures aren't the best, but for those who have wired lit buttons before, please critique my wiring/setup and let me know if you see anything amiss -  I'm mainly concerned about the connection between the power supply/step-down/LED-wiz. I'll also be putting a fuse in the line after the step-down.  Last thing I want to do is burn up my LED-wiz.

(The step-down converter is off-center so the voltage display wouldn't be blocked by the LED-wiz's USB cable.  I want to be able to pull the back off the cabinet and see exactly what's going on.)

Buttons are lit :

« Last Edit: December 25, 2014, 08:00:04 pm by ghetoprobe »

jackiabu

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 04, 2020, 02:55:25 pm
    • http://jackiabu.blogspot.com/
« Reply #107 on: December 25, 2014, 01:29:40 pm »
Great job you doing man :cheers:

ghetoprobe

• Offline Offline
  • SENSES FAIL
« Reply #108 on: December 25, 2014, 08:12:19 pm »
Thanks jackiabu!  So close I can almost taste it!

ghetoprobe

• Offline Offline
  • SENSES FAIL
« Reply #109 on: December 25, 2014, 08:12:35 pm »
Tidied up the wiring behind the steering wheel and permanently mounted it to its base.  FINALLY!  It's been a long time coming and I'm almost ready to actually play-test this thing!  Merry Christmas to me!

Fursphere

• Offline Offline
« Reply #110 on: December 25, 2014, 08:20:17 pm »
I hate the way Logitech designed the G27 - where you have to un-bolt it to unplug it.  Seriously dumb design. 

ghetoprobe

• Offline Offline
  • SENSES FAIL
« Reply #111 on: December 25, 2014, 08:42:07 pm »
I'd have to agree, but for $200, not everything can be perfect.  It just held me back from mounting the steering wheel until the very end of the build.  Now that it's locked in place I'm really hoping it will never have to be removed.

I've never used a G27 setup before so I'm really hoping it performs well.  I really don't want to have to invest in a Thrustmaster T500RS.

vandale

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 10, 2023, 04:01:16 am
  • Id 10 and t error
« Reply #112 on: December 26, 2014, 03:48:28 am »
A $30 spring arrived from Australia!  Under normal circumstances I would never spend $30 on a spring, but the time and effort saved by buying this was well worth it.

I had the same issue. I used RC shock absorber springs from various 1/8th RC models until I got the feel right. Its a good option as you can get a set of 20, ie 5 sets of 4 springs all at different rates etc for $10 on the local auction sites. Could be a good option for budget conscious folk :)

Chur

Fursphere

• Offline Offline
« Reply #113 on: December 26, 2014, 09:01:24 am »
I'd have to agree, but for $200, not everything can be perfect.  It just held me back from mounting the steering wheel until the very end of the build.  Now that it's locked in place I'm really hoping it will never have to be removed.

I've never used a G27 setup before so I'm really hoping it performs well.  I really don't want to have to invest in a Thrustmaster T500RS.

I'm completely happy with mine - with the exception of the wiring setup.  :)   

The belt drive setup of the Thrustmaster is probably better, but at a HUGE step up in price.  And Thrustmaster is really hit and miss with me. 

ghetoprobe

• Offline Offline
  • SENSES FAIL
« Reply #114 on: December 26, 2014, 10:58:49 am »
I used RC shock absorber springs from various 1/8th RC models until I got the feel right.

What a great idea!  I would never have thought to look at RC car shocks.  One of the few hobbies I haven't gotten into (yet).  I really need to learn how to ask questions before blowing money on overpriced things. Thanks for the recommendation, that will definitely be my approach next time.

Fursphere

• Offline Offline
« Reply #115 on: December 26, 2014, 12:53:29 pm »
I used RC shock absorber springs from various 1/8th RC models until I got the feel right.

What a great idea!  I would never have thought to look at RC car shocks.  One of the few hobbies I haven't gotten into (yet).  I really need to learn how to ask questions before blowing money on overpriced things. Thanks for the recommendation, that will definitely be my approach next time.

Try to resist!!  :P   The R/C hobby is one of the most expensive hobbies I know of if you get into it.  Always something new and shiny (and expensive) right around the corner.  I used to race 1/10th scale a little and I couldn't believe how much cash I went through in a short period of time.  lol 

Stick to arcades...    :D

vandale

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 10, 2023, 04:01:16 am
  • Id 10 and t error
« Reply #116 on: December 26, 2014, 11:41:28 pm »
Try to resist!!  :P   The R/C hobby is one of the most expensive hobbies I know of if you get into it.  Always something new and shiny (and expensive) right around the corner.  I used to race 1/10th scale a little and I couldn't believe how much cash I went through in a short period of time.  lol 

Correct, and then at the end of the investment you are left with dated vehicles, half worn and stuffed parts, batteries and motors with minimal resale value. At least with arcade machines when you do sell you at least break even, that is if you have done it right :)

ghetoprobe

• Offline Offline
  • SENSES FAIL
« Reply #117 on: December 27, 2014, 06:07:34 pm »
Sorry for the terrible pictures, the glass makes photographing this thing very difficult at this stage.  The dashboard is now installed, though it won't be lit or even usable until I get a PC in here.  I'll eventually have some custom vinyl "start" and "view" decals cut for around the buttons.  Should make it look a little more cohesive.

ghetoprobe

• Offline Offline
  • SENSES FAIL
« Reply #118 on: December 27, 2014, 06:35:15 pm »
Some of you may have noticed the RAM mount on the right side of the control panel.  A little earlier in this thread I had mentioned wanting to get as much racing-sim packed into this cabinet as possible without taking away from the "arcade" look and feel.  My solution was to use a RAM mount so I could easily add/remove additional accessories that I would use for the more advanced racing games (iRacing/Assetto Corsa/F1 2014/etc.).  When we throw a family party, I just unplug the peripheral and we're ready for the 5-year-olds!

If you've never heard of them, Derek Speare Designs (DSD) make some great button boxes that are relatively inexpensive.  I guess I could have built my own with a spare iPac, but, meh, I'd rather just buy one and mod it to my liking.

Ended up going with the "2014 Track Boss" (since it has the nice bezel included) and I was pleasantly surprised with the construction and materials.  Just like everything else in this project, I pulled it apart the moment it arrived.  I bolted the RAM mount to the back of the box and tested the fit.  It is solid as a rock when mounted to the dashboard and can easily be removed in about 10 seconds.  DSD really makes a great product, love it!!

« Last Edit: December 27, 2014, 07:27:04 pm by ghetoprobe »

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #119 on: December 27, 2014, 07:51:59 pm »
Ahhhhhhhhhhh....... I thought that RAM mount was a mini-joystick.  :cheers:

ghetoprobe

• Offline Offline
  • SENSES FAIL
« Reply #120 on: December 27, 2014, 08:20:36 pm »
Not a mini-joystick, though that would be kinda cool...  ;)

ghetoprobe

• Offline Offline
  • SENSES FAIL
« Reply #121 on: December 27, 2014, 08:21:09 pm »
Now, to figure out how to mount the rear speakers...  this was a tough one and I may end up changing the configuration a little bit.  I have a ton of speaker cable rolled up inside of the seat base so I've left my options open.  My original plan was to bring the speakers up next to the driver's head, but they weren't secure at all, too loud (even when turned down) and I was worried a kid would tear them off the side of the cabinet too easily. 

After a lot of testing with my wife holding the speaker in different positions behind my head (thanks honey!), keeping the speakers lower to the ground and pointed upward really seemed to be the best configuration for the time being.  In testing the 5.1 surround, the cars sounded like they were right behind you... slowly creeping up on the corners and then the screeching tires...  While not ideal, it sounds great, looks pretty good and is as integrated with the cabinet as possible - while still being sturdy enough to survive a mild kid attack.

I grabbed two 1/2" wooden dowel rods and cut them to size.  Then found some 1.125" corrugated black tubing, normally used for a washer's drain hose, to hide the speaker cable and dowel rods.  I used 3/8" black heat-shrink tubing on both ends of the speaker cable to help it blend better. 

We'll see where I end up going with them, but for now...  acceptable.

Fursphere

• Offline Offline
« Reply #122 on: December 27, 2014, 08:40:45 pm »
Both my boys - 2 and 4 - straight torture my rear speakers.  Anytime they're near the cabinet they have to crab the poles and shake them around.  Grab the speakers and twist them.  etc.    I used 1/2" conduit and a pipe bender to make my mounts (then spray painted them black).  I wanted mine at ear level - but I never tested anything else, so I can't say if it makes a difference or not?   :dunno

The only thing I want to do differently on mine is mount the rear speakers to the seat (seat base maybe?) so when the seats gets adjusted, the speakers move with it.  Integrated speakers on arcade seats is nice - if the chairs themselves weren't so damn uncomfortable. 

ghetoprobe

• Offline Offline
  • SENSES FAIL
« Reply #123 on: December 27, 2014, 08:55:18 pm »
The only thing I want to do differently on mine is mount the rear speakers to the seat (seat base maybe?) so when the seats gets adjusted, the speakers move with it.

I would have to agree.  If I do end up changing the rear speaker setup I would definitely want to mount the speakers so they move as the seat is adjusted.  Gives everyone, big or small, the same racing experience.  I just need to figure out a way to keep them rigid - when they wobble around I equate that with bad craftsmanship and it would bug me for all eternity. 

ghetoprobe

• Offline Offline
  • SENSES FAIL
« Reply #124 on: December 27, 2014, 08:57:41 pm »
I can't believe it, but the cabinet is practically finished...  crazy.  Here's the end-result with no DSD button box attached :

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #125 on: December 27, 2014, 09:24:59 pm »
Great job, my friend!

ghetoprobe

• Offline Offline
  • SENSES FAIL
« Reply #126 on: December 28, 2014, 12:29:10 pm »
Thank you, yotsuya!  And thanks for your support along the way.  Still more to come with the dashboard and the PC build, but for now, I think my wife, daughter and I are going to do some racing in Gran Turismo 6.  In the next few days I hope to get some video of the cab in action.

ghetoprobe

• Offline Offline
  • SENSES FAIL
« Reply #127 on: December 28, 2014, 12:30:09 pm »
DSD button box attached :

Locke141

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 03, 2024, 06:00:00 am
  • Never grow up.
« Reply #128 on: January 01, 2015, 03:14:10 am »
Wow! I just saw this build for the first time and it look great.

ghetoprobe

• Offline Offline
  • SENSES FAIL
« Reply #129 on: January 02, 2017, 01:07:37 pm »
It's been a couple of years since I put any work into the racing cabinet (been finishing my basement), but I finally got around to mounting the rear speakers properly and thought I'd share a few pics.  I'm hoping to get a PC setup soon and wire the control panel buttons.  The PS3 has been working great, although, Gran Turismo 6 is pretty complicated for young party guests.  I'd really like to simplify things to be a bit more self-explanatory.  I think Hyperspin and some lit control panel buttons would do the trick.

Also, late in the build I purchased and installed a ButtKicker system - it was a waste of money for my particular setup.  Even when mounted just under the seat there isn't enough feedback.  The sub from the Z5500 does way more for the experience.  I think the ButtKicker needs to be mounted directly to the seat itself which isn't practical in this application.  I may consider placing a small 8" sub in the base of the seat, point it upward, and using the ButtKicker amp to power it. 

Thanks for looking.  I'll post another update once I get the PC, control panel and Hyperspin configured.

dramaone

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 24, 2018, 03:48:53 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #130 on: January 02, 2017, 01:49:26 pm »
great job, very nice looking sit down cab