Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Gutted Gorgar to VPin Transformation  (Read 3149 times)

BzZziLLa

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 14, 2015, 10:58:28 pm
  • Seems legit!
Gutted Gorgar to VPin Transformation
« on: December 12, 2014, 06:23:58 pm »
Howdy folks.. BzZziLLa here!

This will be my second project that I'm posting on this forum. My other (and still current) project is a racing arcade cab. I really wanted to complete that project but I somehow came down with a bad case of the pin-bug. As a result, I naturally began cruis'n Craigs in search of a worthy cabinet. And I must admit, I came across some real undesirables in the pinball world during this search. Pinballers, on average, seem to be a lot more uptight and moody than arcade folk. I'm not sure what it is. If anybody has any clue, feel free to fill me in. (It is fair to mention, however, that I did meet some great pinballers in this process as well!)

At any rate, lets get down to business...

I picked up a gutted Gorgar cabinet for 50 clams off of craigs (no pinballs were killed to make this machine!). It was missing the plunger, glass, legs, lockbar, and trim around the coin machine. That cabinet itself wasn't in the best shape and the backbox has some veneer issues. All in all, I got what I paid for. But I can definitely work with it!

Seems Legit!

BzZziLLa

• Offline Offline
  • Seems legit!
Re: Gutted Gorgar to VPin Transformation
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2014, 06:44:46 pm »
My first order of business was to secure and reinforce the bottom of the cabinet, glue down some of that crappy veneer, and begin touching up ALL the corners on the backbox. Yea, I know. This isn't the most sexy work, but it's foundational.

Also, to top things off, it's rainy today and I'm sure this wood filler will take longer to dry. And I'll still need to do a fair amount of sanding and layering on the really bad areas... But at least I kicked this project off!

Seems Legit!

BzZziLLa

• Offline Offline
  • Seems legit!
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2014, 06:47:00 pm »
Couple more pics, in case anybody cares...
Seems Legit!

BzZziLLa

• Offline Offline
  • Seems legit!
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2014, 07:05:13 pm »
Now.. onto some more technical notes.

I picked up a 37" 1080p Vizio off of Craigs for $128 (Yes, I know it's an odd amount. I talked the guy down to all that I had in my wallet at the time.) Hopefully, this will suffice for the playfield screen.

I also have a 32" and a 26" flatscreen laying around here for the backbox. I'm not sure which one I'm going to use yet. The 26" has a considerably brighter backlight than the 32", but also runs much hotter.

For the PC, I'm running a modified Dell with a core 2 quad Q8200@2.33. It has a 3gb of ram and has Windows 7 professional installed. I also put in a 500w EVGA psu and a geforce gtx 550 ti.

I believe that these specs should suffice for this project. Especially since the idea isn't to drop a ton of cash on it. I have other bad habits that I need to support as well ;)

Seems Legit!

BzZziLLa

• Offline Offline
  • Seems legit!
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2014, 08:10:20 pm »
I got out the ol' bondo and orbit sander today. I worked on rebuilding some edges and fixing up that horrid veneer. I still have a couple layers to go on that one mangled corner. However, I fired through what was left of my sanding pads. I'll have to pick this project back up again tomorrow, after a trip to home depot.

A word to the wise, bondo is the cat's behind. Anybody considering restoring arcade or pinball cabs, I suggest you have this stuff in your arsenal.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2014, 08:12:24 pm by BzZziLLa »
Seems Legit!

nickbuol

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 20, 2023, 03:27:15 pm
  • 2nd Time Around
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2014, 08:43:35 am »
Wow.  Quite the undertaking.  I always get nervious when I see plywood spliting and separating, but you are taking it on like a champ.

Are you planning on trying to save the Gorgar on the sides or removing/filling/sanding that and going with something else?

Keep us posted.

BzZziLLa

• Offline Offline
  • Seems legit!
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2014, 10:12:32 am »
Great question... Yea, the bottom line is that the Gorgar art is just way too cool to destroy. The plan is to repaint the graphics on the main cabinet very carefully. And then my wife is going to make a stencil of the backbox devil so that we can recreate that graphic once I fix all the veneer issues.

If it was any other cabinet, I would probably say "screw the graphics." But skulls, fire, and devils are a trifecta of awesomeness.
Seems Legit!

yotsuya

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 10:19:17 pm
  • 2014 UCA Winner, 2014, 2015, 2016 ZapCon Winner
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,137636.msg1420628.html
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2014, 11:02:26 am »
Great question... Yea, the bottom line is that the Gorgar art is just way too cool to destroy. The plan is to repaint the graphics on the main cabinet very carefully. And then my wife is going to make a stencil of the backbox devil so that we can recreate that graphic once I fix all the veneer issues.

If it was any other cabinet, I would probably say "screw the graphics." But skulls, fire, and devils are a trifecta of awesomeness.

Good on you, my son!  :cheers:
***Build what you dig, bro. Build what you dig.***