Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Project: Arcade Evolution (Wiring and Metalwork!)  (Read 50812 times)

ChanceKJ

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 07, 2021, 02:52:06 pm
Re: Project: Arcade Evolution
« Reply #80 on: December 07, 2014, 11:36:11 pm »
Thats really well done!

I'd move the games lest a little more to the left to take up some of the blank space between the list and the surveillance/identification panes. maybe just make it wider?  I don't know, the bright high point of the background keeps nabbing my attention. (Mind you, i've been staring at Adobe tool windows in Illustrator all day, so my brain is a little fried).

ZexisStryfe

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 22, 2022, 02:24:12 pm
  • Evolution has begun...
« Reply #81 on: December 08, 2014, 09:08:19 am »
Way ahead of you on that one! I will be making both the game list and image areas larger. Originally I have an third panel in there for ROM information, but of course Maximus Arcade can't show that stuff...  :-\ It amazes me that something like XMBC/Kodi has more functionality when it comes to ROM lists than dedicated cabinet frontends. If I weren't for the lack of LEDBlinky support I would have gone with that for the frontend. There is so much more that is possible for cabinet frontends, but it seems most of them are no longer in development and stagnating.

dkersten

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 12, 2024, 11:47:30 am
  • If you are gonna do it, do it right..
« Reply #82 on: December 08, 2014, 11:31:07 am »
Go with Mala.. full ledblinky support and you can put all that info up.  Only major downside to Mala is layering of content doesn't work well, so text will always end up on top even if you want it hidden between layers.

ChanceKJ

• Offline Offline
« Reply #83 on: December 08, 2014, 12:35:28 pm »
From a graphical point of view I couldn't stand Mala, text in lists just looked like crap and I couldn't get a design layout that I liked.

There really needs to be some major development on this kinda thing.  :-\

ZexisStryfe

• Offline Offline
  • Evolution has begun...
« Reply #84 on: December 09, 2014, 09:23:30 am »
I agree with Chance on this one. The reason I went with Maximus is because it is one of the few that actually support HiRes widescreen graphics (even Hyperspin doesn't support widescreen). I understand many arcade cabinets still have old-school monitors in them, but more and more of them are using widescreen 1080p monitors. I want something that looks good on my widescreen monitor.

It actually amazes me that we haven't seen any frontends out there with scrapers built in (Like the ROM Collection Browser in XBMC/Kodi). There is so much info out there on these games, it would be a great feature to have. These are the days I wish I could code...

dkersten

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 12, 2024, 11:47:30 am
  • If you are gonna do it, do it right..
« Reply #85 on: December 09, 2014, 01:02:57 pm »
I guess I haven't had that issue.. all my mala layouts are 1080 and with fonts and decent background graphics I have had some nice results.

The biggest problem I had was making the right text effect in the Wylie's Wars project.. I couldn't control text spacing the way I wanted, and when I tried to just blow it up and cover the top, I ran into the problem of the text coming out on top even if I put that element behind other things.  I can see where it certainly could use some updating, but I also have yet to see anything great from Maximus, and Hyperspin is great if you want a wheel, but if you despise the wheel like I do you are SOL.  It is just like any other part of an arcade though, subject to opinions.

The only reason I suggested it is because of all the things you have mentioned (LEDblinky support, extra data displayed, 1080p layouts, etc), Mala can do them with ease.  But I am sure there is something about it you don't like, and there is nothing wrong with that.  Hope you can get Maximus to do what you want.   :cheers:

yotsuya

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 10:58:57 pm
  • 2014 UCA Winner, 2014, 2015, 2016 ZapCon Winner
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,137636.msg1420628.html
« Reply #86 on: December 09, 2014, 01:04:14 pm »
I stick with AtomicFE and Hyperspin. Most people just want to play games and don't care about all that other information.  :cheers:
***Build what you dig, bro. Build what you dig.***

grippie

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 10, 2022, 03:07:35 pm
  • Genesis Does
    • Optimus Meatron
« Reply #87 on: December 09, 2014, 01:07:52 pm »
From a graphical point of view I couldn't stand Mala, text in lists just looked like crap and I couldn't get a design layout that I liked.
+1 on that. I tried about 15 different front ends and found that I only really like Maximus and Hyperspin.

I stick with AtomicFE and Hyperspin. Most people just want to play games and don't care about all that other information.  :cheers:
Agreed. That's why I made my own theme for MA. It has a nice clean interface that isn't hard for new people to understand. They just want to be able to find a game they want to play and have it work.

ZexisStryfe

• Offline Offline
  • Evolution has begun...
« Reply #88 on: December 10, 2014, 10:08:09 pm »
For those of you with battop US360s... is the threaded top for the battop 6mm? I am looking at getting some dark blue battops to match the buttons I have and Paradise Arcade no longer seems to carry the JAPROC battops with the variable (6mm/10mm) inserts, so I am hoping the 360s have 6mm threaded tops.

ZexisStryfe

• Offline Offline
  • Evolution has begun...
« Reply #89 on: December 14, 2014, 07:53:57 pm »
Big update covering the last week's worth of work-

First off, I got a test print of the control panel overlay art-

Only took staples 7.5 hours to print the damn thing...  ::) I will be using this to create a mockup using foam board to make sure the setup in comfortable one my joysticks come in.

On the pushbutton front Susan from Paradise Arcade was nice enough to hook me up with replacement barrels for my translucent buttons, so now they all match! Also my navy blue pushbuttons came in from Arcade Spare Parts and here is the result-

When reassembling I made sure to reuse the springs from the IL buttons because the ones in the navy blue buttons was much stiffer. For those of you wondering- The 8 buttons for each of the players will have the navy blue plungers, all the admin, coin and mouse buttons will have black plungers and the P1 and P2 start buttons will have white imprinted buttons.

I then went through all my buttons and did my best ChanceKJ impression and wired them all up with the RGB LEDs-

and here is the final result-

Slowly moving along!

ChanceKJ

• Offline Offline
« Reply #90 on: December 14, 2014, 08:47:47 pm »
Evolution is right!

Those buttons look sick!  Make sure you mod that button wrench. Cut a big hole in the side for the LED leads.

Haha, I used that exact same Tupperware container for my buttons as a layout test box.

ZexisStryfe

• Offline Offline
  • Evolution has begun...
« Reply #91 on: December 18, 2014, 11:54:13 am »
Joysticks and I-PAC Ultimate are in!

horizon

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 09, 2015, 05:58:48 pm
  • They've gone plaid!
« Reply #92 on: December 18, 2014, 12:06:08 pm »
I agree with Chance on this one. The reason I went with Maximus is because it is one of the few that actually support HiRes widescreen graphics (even Hyperspin doesn't support widescreen). I understand many arcade cabinets still have old-school monitors in them, but more and more of them are using widescreen 1080p monitors. I want something that looks good on my widescreen monitor.

It actually amazes me that we haven't seen any frontends out there with scrapers built in (Like the ROM Collection Browser in XBMC/Kodi). There is so much info out there on these games, it would be a great feature to have. These are the days I wish I could code...

Have you looked into Emulation Station before?  http://www.emulationstation.org/

rablack97

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 11, 2022, 06:50:10 pm
  • If you don't try, you have no chance at innovation
« Reply #93 on: December 18, 2014, 12:41:08 pm »
I love builds that are all organized etc... :applaud:

However in the excitement it never fails that folks put the switches on the buttons prior to installing.  Yeah buddy your gonna have to take every last one of those switches right back off.

Get it done in B/W next time since its an alignment test print....Done in 10 mins.

ZexisStryfe

• Offline Offline
  • Evolution has begun...
« Reply #94 on: December 18, 2014, 12:58:03 pm »
I love builds that are all organized etc... :applaud:

However in the excitement it never fails that folks put the switches on the buttons prior to installing.  Yeah buddy your gonna have to take every last one of those switches right back off.

PIC

Get it done in B/W next time since its an alignment test print....Done in 10 mins.

PIC

Oh, I am well aware that i will have to remove all the microswitches. That is just my organizational OCD kicking in.

Regarding the print- it did only take 10 minutes to print. It took 7 hours to get them to print it because they kept forgetting about it (I went back three times and on the third time made them print it with me standing there).

ZexisStryfe

• Offline Offline
  • Evolution has begun...
« Reply #95 on: December 18, 2014, 01:05:18 pm »
Have you looked into Emulation Station before?  http://www.emulationstation.org/

Looks great (like a stripped down XBMC) but I don't see anything about LEDBlinky support anywhere on the site. That is the only reason I am not using XBMC.

rablack97

• Offline Offline
« Reply #96 on: December 18, 2014, 01:06:12 pm »
Oh hell no.......the forgot mode would of been on since you keep forgetting, you need to forget the charge for my print.....

Love that artwork though.....nice job overall so far. :applaud: :applaud:

ZexisStryfe

• Offline Offline
  • Evolution has begun...
« Reply #97 on: December 31, 2014, 05:18:05 pm »
Alright, so there hasn't been a whole lot of progress over the holidays, but my order from Ultimarc did come in with my UltraStik 360s, all the mods and my IPAC Ultimate-

I took the opportunity to put the long shafts, octagon restrictors and hard springs on the joysticks along with my Pacific Blue ALU series battops from Paradise Arcade (thanks for all the help Susan!)-

And here it is compared to the original config-

As Neph and others mentioned I will be needing to lube the pivots on the joysticks, which will probably be my next task before I make a test joystick to make sure the layout works for me.

ChanceKJ

• Offline Offline
« Reply #98 on: December 31, 2014, 07:22:55 pm »
 :applaud: those bat tops look great. It's little details like that which go a long way towards the design.

ZexisStryfe

• Offline Offline
  • Evolution has begun...
« Reply #99 on: January 20, 2015, 01:45:48 pm »
Things have slowed down a bit but I do have some news-

I got this order in the mail this week from GroovyGameGear!  :applaud:

The order includes the following-

- Electric ICE-T Arcade Trackball v2.5
 - 2 USB extensions
 - a 30 LED Marquee light
 - Trackball Mounting kit
 - T-molding 1/16" slot cutter

In related news I also have found a new place to live (lease is up on the apartment!) and will be moving in March. In the new place I will have a dedicated garage and basement so I will finally be able to start my wood work and feel like I am accomplishing something on this project!

ZexisStryfe

• Offline Offline
  • Evolution has begun...
« Reply #100 on: March 31, 2015, 01:52:10 pm »
Alright, after finally moving and dealing with all the fun of unpacking I have made some progress on this build-

Got a new order in from Paradise Arcade including the following-

- Mini SLG
- 8 Tropical Mood RGB LEDs

Also, I have been mulling over the design a bit and I think I have decided to go with more traditional cabinet sides (based on the sides of Flynn's Arcade, no less) than the Viewlix sides. Here is the current mock up (minus the control panel)-

Any thoughts?

I am about ready to start looking at local CNC shops, but need my SketchUp docs converted to CAD. Don't suppose anyone on here could help with that?  ;)

I also managed to recently acquire an original Mortal Kombat II cabinet in very good condition- that has been keeping me busy as well!

ChanceKJ

• Offline Offline
« Reply #101 on: March 31, 2015, 04:35:47 pm »
I'm sure there are a few people on here that could oblige *COUGH*HaRuMaN*COUGH*

ZexisStryfe

• Offline Offline
  • Evolution has begun...
« Reply #102 on: July 27, 2015, 11:54:29 am »
Back from the dead... with a question! Just out of curiousity- if you guys had to spit ball a cost for CNC on this cabinet, what would you think is reasonable?  The quotes I have gotten recently have... not been, and that is putting it nicely.

HaRuMaN

• Supreme Solder King
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+45)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 27, 2024, 07:37:53 pm
  • boom
    • Arcade Madness
« Reply #103 on: July 27, 2015, 12:05:27 pm »
$450-500, plus shipping

ChanceKJ

• Offline Offline
« Reply #104 on: July 27, 2015, 12:20:11 pm »
Mine was just under $300. And that's done locally and covered the cost of wood.  Mind you I got a deal. So Lee's prices are sound.

ZexisStryfe

• Offline Offline
  • Evolution has begun...
« Reply #105 on: July 27, 2015, 01:05:18 pm »
Okay... the last quote I got was $800 (local shop), not including materials...

HaRuMaN

• Supreme Solder King
  • Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
  • boom
    • Arcade Madness
« Reply #106 on: July 27, 2015, 01:15:58 pm »
Okay... the last quote I got was $800 (local shop), not including materials...

Wow that's nuts.   :dizzy:

ChanceKJ

• Offline Offline
« Reply #107 on: July 27, 2015, 10:45:44 pm »
Yeah, I had a couple like that when I was first looking. I ended up finding a guy through a Canadian wood working site that "had access" to one through a third party.

ZexisStryfe

• Offline Offline
  • Evolution has begun...
« Reply #108 on: July 28, 2015, 02:44:40 pm »
Any of you guys ever work with Ultralite MDF? The last CNC shop I spoke to stated they preferred working with that.

HaRuMaN

• Supreme Solder King
  • Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
  • boom
    • Arcade Madness
« Reply #109 on: July 28, 2015, 03:21:50 pm »
Any of you guys ever work with Ultralite MDF? The last CNC shop I spoke to stated they preferred working with that.

Quite the opposite, when I'm using 3/4", I have my CNC guy pick up some ultradense stuff...  machines likes butter

rablack97

• Offline Offline
« Reply #110 on: July 28, 2015, 03:42:10 pm »
Looks alot like GriffinDodd's Capcom build

[

Damn he must of been pissed he took down all his photos :banghead:

Haruman does a great job, I think he shipped his first full size build to me.  It was melamine though (never again).  He is fair and will stay with you through the entire process all the way up to and through delivery.  The cuts are precise, and the quality is A1.  He will take care of you.

ChanceKJ

• Offline Offline
« Reply #111 on: July 28, 2015, 10:19:13 pm »
I wanna say that I had a conversation with Rick or Scott about ultralight MDF, but for the life of me I can't find it. Never used it myself tho

yotsuya

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 10:58:57 pm
  • 2014 UCA Winner, 2014, 2015, 2016 ZapCon Winner
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,137636.msg1420628.html
« Reply #112 on: July 28, 2015, 10:32:20 pm »

Quite the opposite, when I'm using 3/4", I have my CNC guy pick up some ultradense stuff...  machines likes butter
That dense stuff is great- when he cut my Star Wars cab, he used that and the sides could take a beating without chipping.
***Build what you dig, bro. Build what you dig.***

Nephasth

« Reply #113 on: July 28, 2015, 10:35:34 pm »

:duckhunt

ZexisStryfe

• Offline Offline
  • Evolution has begun...
« Reply #114 on: July 29, 2015, 09:28:23 am »
Looks alot like GriffinDodd's Capcom build

You mean the fact I specifically called out his build (and Chance's) in the first post as a major inspiration didn't give away the fact that there would be similarities?  ;D The lower section (the black part) is meant to be a combination of Griff's Revolution and Lukensteinz's MK Viewlix. I liked this part of Griff's build particularly because it fixes my biggest complaint about cabinets that have 32" monitors- the massive flat piece of wood where the coin door is. Giff's design breaks up this area. The sides are actually the modified sides of Chance's Flynn build, minus a pac-man pizza slice.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2015, 05:06:27 pm by ZexisStryfe »

ZexisStryfe

• Offline Offline
  • Evolution has begun...
« Reply #115 on: August 04, 2015, 10:24:33 am »
So the last gentleman I spoke with has quoted me $100 per sheet for materials and cut. That is for this Ultralight MDF. I do have some concerns about using this stuff mostly around these Screw Pull numbers (the Ultralight, not the Light product)-

Considering the weight of the unit, do you guys feel these numbers are rather low as well (traditional MDF has a face screw pull number of 400lbs)?

HaRuMaN

• Supreme Solder King
  • Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
  • boom
    • Arcade Madness
« Reply #116 on: August 04, 2015, 11:13:05 am »
Yes, I would be concerned with that.  Especially for an arcade cabinet.

ZexisStryfe

• Offline Offline
  • Evolution has begun...
« Reply #117 on: August 04, 2015, 12:53:57 pm »
Thanks, Haruman. I am going to go with traditional MDF as he said he would do that for the same cost.

Malenko

• KNEEL BEFORE ZODlenko!
  • Trade Count: (+58)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 10:20:30 pm
  • Have you played with my GingerBalls?
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,142404.msg1475162.html
« Reply #118 on: August 04, 2015, 01:41:01 pm »
Thanks, Haruman. I am going to go with traditional MDF as he said he would do that for the same cost.

I agree with this decision.
If you're replying to a troll you are part of the problem.
I also need to follow this advice. Ignore or report, don't reply.

ZexisStryfe

• Offline Offline
  • Evolution has begun...
« Reply #119 on: August 05, 2015, 10:23:12 pm »
Since I decided a while back to change the shape of the sides of the cabinet, I have been working on a design for sideart. While I wait on getting the wood cut (seems like it is going to take forever!!!) I figured I would post this art for opinions. As always these are my own characters and my own art, although the character art on these need to be redone in vector format (and mister zombie will go away as he doesn't quite fit). Just like the marquee I have good guys on the left and bad guys on the right. I have a few other ideas mostly centering around how I am going to put the logo but this version is good enough for the masses at the moment! :D

« Last Edit: August 05, 2015, 10:26:15 pm by ZexisStryfe »