Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: CRT Emudriver installation results in BSOD  (Read 3000 times)

Saneless

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 19, 2015, 12:29:26 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
CRT Emudriver installation results in BSOD
« on: November 18, 2014, 11:25:09 am »
I have a standard NTSC TV, S-Video so no chance of running 15khz.

Would not changing the .ini, or deleting it entirely, mean I'm defaulting to generic_15 and that's why, after installing your custom ATI drivers my system throws a wavy BSOD?

It was driving me nuts but this is such a simple solution if that's the case.  Groovymame ran with standard ATI drivers, but doesn't quite work right (sync issues).  But with the hacked drivers it crashes every time.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2014, 12:07:39 pm by Calamity »

Calamity

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 10, 2024, 02:02:31 pm
  • Quote me with care
Re: CRT Emudriver installation results in BSOD
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2014, 12:16:23 pm »
Hi Saneless,

(Just splitting this topic as had no relation with to other thread).

If you're getting a BSOD it's probably because the driver is not properly installed (e.g. old driver files getting mixed up with the new ones, etc.)

Another possible cause is that your installing more modelines than allowed (>120, unlikely).

I'm not sure what .ini you mean. If it's GM's .ini, then it has nothing to do with your BSOD (either deleting or leaving it unchanged can't do that).

Running GM with standard drivers is too suboptimal because it can't set the required refresh rates. Anyway, you wouldn't get custom refresh rates at all running through S-Video. GM only starts making sense through RGB or component->RGB.
Important note: posts reporting GM issues without a log will be IGNORED.
Steps to create a log:
 - From command line, run: groovymame.exe -v romname >romname.txt
 - Attach resulting romname.txt file to your post, instead of pasting it.

CRT Emudriver, VMMaker & Arcade OSD downloads, documentation and discussion:  Eiusdemmodi

Saneless

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2014, 12:25:52 pm »
Thanks for splitting it.

I tried using ATI's standard uninstaller in the ATI/Support directory, and I've downloaded the catuninstaller.exe I've seen around here, so I'll try that tonight.

My guess was some driver issue because it didn't happen on the standard Catalyst install, but I'm not sure what's going on.  After I did a system restore I didn't get BSODs anymore, but I did get a fast dark wavy line image that looks like what would happen if I picked a resolution I shouldn't have from quickres.

Hopefully the catuninstaller does the trick.  I've seen you mention wiping out the standard MS VGA driver as wel, but I'm not sure how to do that.  And your driver package wouldn't let me install from safe mode (F8).

If that doesn't do it, are there registry entries to wipe out and dlls to delete?

Calamity

• Offline Offline
  • Quote me with care
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2014, 12:47:20 pm »
I've seen you mention wiping out the standard MS VGA driver as wel, but I'm not sure how to do that.

Not exactly that, but the defaut one from ATI that is shipped with your XP "distribution". That's the one that requires hot water to be removed. Enter the device manager, display devices, and cicking on your video card, remove the driver from there manually.
Steps to create a log:

CRT Emudriver, VMMaker & Arcade OSD downloads, documentation and discussion:  Eiusdemmodi

adder

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 04, 2021, 10:51:51 am
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2014, 12:52:14 pm »
the free program called winmodelines is a good way to have a look at the registry to see whats going on regarding your video installation. it will also give you the location (path) in the registry, incase you need to manually delete (using eg. regedit) something causing a problem
« Last Edit: November 18, 2014, 12:57:38 pm by jadder »

Saneless

• Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2014, 01:43:38 pm »
I've seen you mention wiping out the standard MS VGA driver as wel, but I'm not sure how to do that.

Not exactly that, but the defaut one from ATI that is shipped with your XP "distribution". That's the one that requires hot water to be removed. Enter the device manager, display devices, and cicking on your video card, remove the driver from there manually.
Now that, I've done.  On a reboot it installs something, maybe generic VGA.  I thought I did all that but maybe I didn't do it right.

I'm also 90% sure that I did have this working just fine at one point, but screwed something up along the way when I tried to reinstall catalyst drivers to get HLSL to work (which it didn't, and still doesn't).

Calamity

• Offline Offline
  • Quote me with care
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2014, 01:47:58 pm »
Now that, I've done.  On a reboot it installs something, maybe generic VGA.  I thought I did all that but maybe I didn't do it right.

If it's generic VGA, congrats, install CRT Emudriver now. If it's a default ATI driver what gets installed on boot, remove it again, and without rebooting, install CRT Emudriver (don't give it a chance to install the default one).
Steps to create a log:

Saneless

• Offline Offline
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2014, 01:50:36 pm »
Well if that's the case then it probably wasn't generic, I've rebooted after removing it.  I'll try that, thanks for the help.

And before I go through such problems.. When I ran GM with the standard ATI drivers, I'm not getting good vsync results in games automatically.  Black Tiger, Simpsons, TMNT, all are terrible.  If I set vsync to 1 manually in the .ini it's perfectly fine, but I don't want to set that since it breaks sound in the vertical games.

Will I see those issues still on the Emu drivers?  Again, 90% sure when I got it to run before with the drivers those issues weren't there.

Calamity

• Offline Offline
  • Quote me with care
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2014, 01:54:23 pm »
It should be all fine out of the box with the Emudrivers, specially vsync.
Steps to create a log:

Saneless

• Offline Offline
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2014, 07:57:49 pm »
Still no go. No idea what else to do at this point.

And going back to your original post about custom refresh rates, will GM and the drivers do better sound and video sync even with s video compared to standard mames or should I just not bother anymore?

Final edit: fresh install, same issue. And oddly enough the standard MAME does the same thing. Guess my system doesn't like these drivers for my Radeon 8500
« Last Edit: November 18, 2014, 10:18:15 pm by Saneless »

Calamity

• Offline Offline
  • Quote me with care
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2014, 03:45:27 am »
Yes, maybe the Radeon 8500 is too old to work although advertised as working... are you testing 32 or 64 bits?. I'd say it should work on 32 at least, but the 64 bit version of the 6.5 driver was never an officially supported ATI package.

Anyway, as I said I wouldn't bother setting up all this if you're going to use s-video, it's not a matter of faith but something obvious since s-video outputs are locked to 50/60 Hz and 480i/576i.
Steps to create a log:

Saneless

• Offline Offline
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2014, 11:02:07 am »
32 bits all the way.  I'm just not sure why it hasn't been working when I know it was working at some point.  Hell, after I did a system restore a different variant of MAME was working, but now even the standard one breaks.  It just doesn't make sense.

I guess I'll just move on, and if I break out another TV that has component, I'll also bring out the Radeon 9700 and hopefully will have better results.

adder

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 04, 2021, 10:51:51 am
« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2014, 11:16:56 am »
it might be an idea to try mameuifx, as you can use the soundsync option with that mame version (because your video will be set on 60hz due to how you are outputting from pc/inputting into your tv) but the soundsync option will allow you to force all games to run at 60hz while still remaining smooth in gameplay and sound. regular mame does have some options to try to achieve this but i believe they dont work properly (see this: http://geedorah.com/eiusdemmodi/forum/viewtopic.php?id=42)