Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: My first marquee EVER!  (Read 15535 times)

atxscarface

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 16, 2024, 06:40:56 pm
My first marquee EVER!
« on: November 12, 2014, 10:35:43 pm »
What to you think? Honest opinions, it has been a long while since I have had to use Photoshop and was going for something simple but catching to the eye to match the theme of my cabinet.

yotsuya

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 08:41:55 pm
  • 2014 UCA Winner, 2014, 2015, 2016 ZapCon Winner
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,137636.msg1420628.html
Re: My first marquee EVER!
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2014, 11:48:23 pm »
Do you like it, bro? If you like it, that's all that matters.  :cheers:
***Build what you dig, bro. Build what you dig.***

atxscarface

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2014, 12:03:25 pm »
Yes I do like it! I just have a tendancy to take the notion of simple to the extreme and then in the end it turns out its not so simple.   :dizzy:

Its always good to get someone else's perspective.

And I just realized I posted this topic in the wrong section....sorry BYOAC admins.

:banghead:

Thanks for replying though!  :cheers:

Vigo

• the Scourage of Carpathia
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+24)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 21, 2024, 08:20:28 am
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2014, 12:12:25 pm »
I like the consistent color theme of the reds. If that will match the color theme of your cab, I would say that is a winner.  :cheers:

Malenko

• KNEEL BEFORE ZODlenko!
  • Trade Count: (+58)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 09, 2024, 07:27:18 pm
  • Have you played with my GingerBalls?
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,142404.msg1475162.html
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2014, 12:25:28 pm »
i like your avatar better.

Put the big transparent Akuma to the left on the bottom layer.  Put the name of the machine on a layer above that , be cautious with the word "cade" at the end, and then put the top level Akuma to the right.

Lose the Hadouken! and Ten symbol in the top left, Ryu, and the hadouken "animation" to the bottom left.  I like the colors.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2014, 03:01:17 pm by Malenko »
If you're replying to a troll you are part of the problem.
I also need to follow this advice. Ignore or report, don't reply.

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 09:15:50 pm
  • Designated spam hunter
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2014, 02:02:25 pm »
And I just realized I posted this topic in the wrong section....
Fixed.   ;D

Scott

atxscarface

• Offline Offline
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2014, 03:59:42 pm »
Thanks Malenko, I will take your advice into consideration and make a duplicate with your changes added to see how it looks.

@Vigo

This is the control panel, my first iteration of it anyway! Realizing now it looks too plain and I want to add some button and joystick surround art but cant figure out how to get the alignment just right.

The reds sort of match in my opinion, but I am sure once the tmolding comes in it will make the marquee red look darker but will match the control panel.

Also.....can you guess who my fav characters are?  :lol

thatpurplestuff

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 02:42:39 pm
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2014, 07:56:13 pm »
I think the imagery is very cool for both the marquee and the control panel.  That being said, the text on the marquee is very difficult to read... I would ease back on all the strokes and layer styles that you have on it and even simplify the text itself by just using the name of your arcade.  If you are set on having the "Welcome to the" text on there, maybe do something to differentiate it from the rest by making it smaller or something?

Otherwise, love the theme you've started on!  Just a side note, be aware of your 1st player joystick placement on the control panel because that has the potential to make it an entirely different type of game haha.

So once again, we find that evil of the past seeps into the present like salad dressing through cheap wax paper, mixing memory and desire.

atxscarface

• Offline Offline
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2014, 08:17:05 pm »
LOL!! good thing I already have the control panel artwork installed and the placement was just right! Otherwise yeah.....  :laugh2:

Thanks for the tips on the text, I certainly do agree. I learned how to use the text styling filters and went to town. Looking now it does need to be simplified. Not even sure, I want that much text. Was thinking "Messatsu" "Dark Hado Arcade", I dont know..

back to the drawing board...

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2014, 08:31:37 pm »
Was thinking "Messatsu" "Dark Hado Arcade", I dont know..

back to the drawing board...

I prefer either of those to what you currently have.  :cheers:

Malenko

• KNEEL BEFORE ZODlenko!
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2014, 08:56:19 pm »
Welp I made "ShoRyuKade"

but it uhhhh doesnt exist anymore, so you can re-use the name if you want (or even go with HaDouKade)  :cheers:

Generic Eric

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 05, 2024, 09:02:23 am
  • Restore! Don't maim for MAME, build from scratch!
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,143226.0.html
« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2014, 09:28:35 pm »
Thanks Malenko, I will take your advice into consideration and make a duplicate with your changes added to see how it looks.

@Vigo

This is the control panel, my first iteration of it anyway! Realizing now it looks too plain and I want to add some button and joystick surround art but cant figure out how to get the alignment just right.

The reds sort of match in my opinion, but I am sure once the tmolding comes in it will make the marquee red look darker but will match the control panel.

Also.....can you guess who my fav characters are?  :lol

Seems big.  Two player fighter or more?  Does part of it fold over the front? 

atxscarface

• Offline Offline
« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2014, 10:36:30 pm »

Generic Eric

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 05, 2024, 09:02:23 am
  • Restore! Don't maim for MAME, build from scratch!
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,143226.0.html
« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2014, 10:53:53 pm »

Cool.  I didn't realize you were that far along.  Is it play able yet?  Get that t-molding on before it is playable!

How much did it cost to print that cp?

atxscarface

• Offline Offline
« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2014, 08:22:26 am »
Yes it is playable already for the 2 Player side, I hit a snag with one of the PCB's and am waiting on its repair from HaRuMan.

The cost of the picture to be printed was actually free, after the guy from Kinkos overcharged me originally ($42). He refunded my cash and printed a new copy on standard matte paper.

My second copy I make after figuring out how to get the alignment right for some button and joystick surround art I will be sure to get it printed on photo quality paper.

I know it doesnt really matter given a piece of plexi is going over the top but the photo paper really makes the red's stand out more and look richer than using the matte paper.

Once I get the PCB back and installed for the 1 player side I plan on posting in the Project Announcements thread.

atxscarface

• Offline Offline
« Reply #15 on: November 14, 2014, 12:01:40 pm »

Couldnt move the akuma image to the left side because it didnt look natural having the cut off perfectly lined with the black background

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #16 on: November 14, 2014, 12:03:01 pm »

Couldnt move the akuma image to the left side because it didnt look natural having the cut off perfectly lined with the black background

Kill the word "Arcade" in the marquee. I mean, Ford doesn't put "Mustang Car" on the back of it's vehicles...

atxscarface

• Offline Offline
« Reply #17 on: November 14, 2014, 12:21:28 pm »

Ehh? I like it! Thanks for the suggestions.

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #18 on: November 14, 2014, 12:23:37 pm »
Ehh? I like it! Thanks for the suggestions.

Malenko

• KNEEL BEFORE ZODlenko!
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #19 on: November 14, 2014, 01:10:42 pm »

CTRL+T , right click, flip horizontally

atxscarface

• Offline Offline
« Reply #20 on: November 14, 2014, 01:48:24 pm »

Nice, thx Malenko!  :cheers:

AzureKnight

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 29, 2022, 12:22:17 am
« Reply #21 on: November 14, 2014, 03:37:02 pm »

I like the color and the theme, but to my eye it looks really lopsided.  On the left you have a background image while on the right you don't.  I think that dichotomy can be very cool but what throws it off for me is that the title is shifted to the blank side.

I would move Akuma more to the left, keep his background where it is but fade it out more and then center the title over the middle (might need a background splash just behind the title to keep it clean from Akuma's background.

Just my 2 cents.  I think you are off to a great start.

Malenko

• KNEEL BEFORE ZODlenko!
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #22 on: November 14, 2014, 03:43:02 pm »
if you can post the PSD, I can give it a whirl

atxscarface

• Offline Offline

opt2not

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 02, 2024, 07:42:30 pm
« Reply #24 on: November 14, 2014, 04:26:02 pm »
Good progress so far. I guess I'll weigh in now...

Title:
- The Title could be slightly bigger, maybe by 30%. It's also too plain for a header, personally I'd play around with giving it some glow rather than outlining. (You can add an outer glow from the Layer Styles)  I'd try a glow that gradients from White to Red, so that you get a nice soft "power glow" of white at first, then it fades out to red...and softly falls off to transparent/black.

- I can see you're using the Font "bending" transform quite a bit here. At the moment the text looks too deformed, I would play around with the font's horizontal and vertical skewing so that the letters look less leaned over, and stays square perpendicular to the curve of the bottom of the letters.  Imagine there's a line being drawn that follows the bottom of the letters, now imagine a line running perpendicular for each letter, from that curve and have your letters stay squared-up from that.  It will help make the letters look more solid, while still retaining your curved layout.

- Line Spacing:  If you're going to try to enlarge the title, I'd make the symbol under the Messatsu get closer to the font so that you can maximize the sizing space.  On Marquees, it's usually a good rule-of-thumb for the title to be legible from a 15 foot distance.  Traditionally marquees were designed not only to show the title of a machine, but also to catch attention and draw people in.

- Seeing that the secondary image behind Akuma is faded out, it's alright to overlap the Title Font. That way you can center the title font a bit more (doesn't need to be perfect), so that image feels more balanced.  I'm not talking about complete symmetry, just balancing the "weight" of the image so that there is an even level of visuals going from right to left.

Imagery:
- The Akuma side looks good, but it makes the Evil Ryu side look too plain. Mainly because you have a secondary faded image behind Akuma, but nothing behind Ryu. I'd try to add something behind Ryu, either another Ryu image, or perhaps some of that red wispy power smoke stuff when Ryu does his Red Fireball (or when Akuma teleports). Or how about the wispy stuff, PLUS a larger close-up of Ryu's face/head filling up the background.

- Ryu should be similar in size to Akuma...you could scale him up and have his non-existent knees start at the bottom of marquee, and have him fill up the space more just like Akuma's side.

- Colour-wise you've got pretty much a majority of Red and Black, which is cool and all, but I would add something more to the image to vary up the contrast a bit.
I suggest trying to put some of that Cracked Concrete background of the CP into the background of the marquee...perhaps as a background border frame going around the edges. Heck, you could even just have it go along the Top and Sides only, like an upside down U...or visa-versa Bottom and Sides.

:cheers:

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #25 on: November 14, 2014, 04:30:13 pm »
Good progress so far. I guess I'll weigh in now...

Title:
- The Title could be slightly bigger, maybe by 30%. It's also too plain for a header, personally I'd play around with giving it some glow rather than outlining. (You can add an outer glow from the Layer Styles)  I'd try a glow that gradients from White to Red, so that you get a nice soft "power glow" of white at first, then it fades out to red...and softly falls off to transparent/black.

- I can see you're using the Font "bending" transform quite a bit here. At the moment the text looks too deformed, I would play around with the font's horizontal and vertical skewing so that the letters look less leaned over, and stays square perpendicular to the curve of the bottom of the letters.  Imagine there's a line being drawn that follows the bottom of the letters, now imagine a line running perpendicular for each letter, from that curve and have your letters stay squared-up from that.  It will help make the letters look more solid, while still retaining your curved layout.

- Line Spacing:  If you're going to try to enlarge the title, I'd make the symbol under the Messatsu get closer to the font so that you can maximize the sizing space.  On Marquees, it's usually a good rule-of-thumb for the title to be legible from a 15 foot distance.  Traditionally marquees were designed not only to show the title of a machine, but also to catch attention and draw people in.

- Seeing that the secondary image behind Akuma is faded out, it's alright to overlap the Title Font. That way you can center the title font a bit more (doesn't need to be perfect), so that image feels more balanced.  I'm not talking about complete symmetry, just balancing the "weight" of the image so that there is an even level of visuals going from right to left.

Imagery:
- The Akuma side looks good, but it makes the Evil Ryu side look too plain. Mainly because you have a secondary faded image behind Akuma, but nothing behind Ryu. I'd try to add something behind Ryu, either another Ryu image, or perhaps some of that red wispy power smoke stuff when Ryu does his Red Fireball (or when Akuma teleports). Or how about the wispy stuff, PLUS a larger close-up of Ryu's face/head filling up the background.

- Ryu should be similar in size to Akuma...you could scale him up and have his non-existent knees start at the bottom of marquee, and have him fill up the space more just like Akuma's side.

- Colour-wise you've got pretty much a majority of Red and Black, which is cool and all, but I would add something more to the image to vary up the contrast a bit.
I suggest trying to put some of that Cracked Concrete background of the CP into the background of the marquee...perhaps as a background border frame going around the edges. Heck, you could even just have it go along the Top and Sides only, like an upside down U...or visa-versa Bottom and Sides.

:cheers:

Huh. You don't sound like one of those e-source artists.  >:D

Malenko

• KNEEL BEFORE ZODlenko!
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #26 on: November 14, 2014, 04:33:15 pm »

atxscarface

• Offline Offline
« Reply #27 on: November 14, 2014, 04:41:58 pm »
I can separate it, gimme a sec.

atxscarface

• Offline Offline

atxscarface

• Offline Offline
« Reply #29 on: November 14, 2014, 04:54:38 pm »
Im looking online trying to find another evil ryu picture to use or to add some effects to but they all dont seem to match the styling of the akuma picture.

I really like the bold lining of the MvsC3 characters but no evil ryu there!

This one would be cool with the same mirrored shadow backgroud as the akuma pic. Or with some of the afterglow effects opt2not mentioned.

« Last Edit: November 14, 2014, 04:57:30 pm by atxscarface »

Malenko

• KNEEL BEFORE ZODlenko!
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #30 on: November 14, 2014, 05:02:58 pm »
I can separate it, gimme a sec.

too late, already made this:

I can send you the PSD if you PM me your email address

atxscarface

• Offline Offline
« Reply #31 on: November 15, 2014, 12:57:09 pm »
Thanks Malenko!

Can anybody get this image of evil ryu on a white (transparant) background to add as a layer? The background eraser tool in CS6 gets rid of more than I want from the image.

atxscarface

• Offline Offline
« Reply #32 on: November 15, 2014, 07:10:11 pm »
Got it!

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #33 on: November 15, 2014, 07:55:12 pm »
Got it!

Can you unsquish Ryu? I've enjoyed the evolution of this.

Malenko

• KNEEL BEFORE ZODlenko!
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #34 on: November 15, 2014, 07:57:20 pm »
yeah when you resize with CTRL+T hold shift when you click and drag using the corner and it will maintain the aspect ratio.

atxscarface

• Offline Offline
« Reply #35 on: November 15, 2014, 10:20:06 pm »
Thanks again to all that have helped contribute thus far!

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #36 on: November 15, 2014, 10:27:09 pm »
Thanks again to all that have helped contribute thus far!

There you go!!!  :cheers:

atxscarface

• Offline Offline
« Reply #37 on: November 15, 2014, 11:06:09 pm »

Made the characters a lil bigger.

EMDB

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 05, 2023, 09:18:51 am
  • Project RetroCade
« Reply #38 on: November 16, 2014, 05:41:53 am »

I think a dark background and lighter text / characters will work better for a marquee. That way the text / characters pop out instead of the background.

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #39 on: November 16, 2014, 12:40:07 pm »

I think a dark background and lighter text / characters will work better for a marquee. That way the text / characters pop out instead of the background.

I dunno, Pac-Man and Galaga didn't seem to have that issue. I think it looks great, way better than what he started with.