Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Can't install XP?  (Read 10244 times)

loz1962

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 26, 2019, 10:12:20 am
  • YOU ONLY GET ONE LIFE! SO GO LIVE IT!
    • WHY WHERE HOW I STARTED DOWN THIS LONG ROAD....
Can't install XP?
« on: November 06, 2014, 08:49:15 am »
HI, I have a computer that had Xp pro on it but it was a network pc. I've formatted the drive to install a clean version of XP on. I cannot get XP to install, I says a fatal error has occurred. Can anyone give a me a test I could perform on the HArd drive to make sure it's OK or Is it possible that there is a Blocking system in the BIOS ????? :badmood:

JDFan

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 21, 2023, 04:07:42 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Re: Can't install XP?
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2014, 11:03:51 am »
What did you use to format the HDD and how is it formatted (ie. Fat16, Fat32, NTFS) and what size HDD are you using ?  IIRC with 32 bit XP NTFS partitions are limited to 2TB and XP can only format Fat32 partitions under 32GB (even though the Fat32 system allows partitions up to 2TB)

Malenko

• KNEEL BEFORE ZODlenko!
  • Trade Count: (+58)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 26, 2024, 07:29:48 pm
  • Have you played with my GingerBalls?
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,142404.msg1475162.html
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2014, 12:21:29 pm »
try an XPSP3 disc
If you're replying to a troll you are part of the problem.
I also need to follow this advice. Ignore or report, don't reply.

notroubleclubber

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 07, 2023, 04:26:25 pm
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2014, 12:24:36 pm »
Also have a check of your memory. Ive found in the past that windows crashes with a blue screen when i had a faulty memory stick.

Vigo

• the Scourage of Carpathia
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+24)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 21, 2024, 08:20:28 am
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2014, 01:53:43 pm »
I've personally have had to do trial and error with my XP installations. it usually takes my rifling through a couple of my different XP install discs until I find one that isn't buggy. Of course I have a bunch of modified install discs that I modded to include the service pack 2 or 3, or to a tinyXP variant.  I've also run into issues where I error out when installing from a bootable disc, but have no problems when initiating it through a dos command.

yotsuya

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 01:02:22 pm
  • 2014 UCA Winner, 2014, 2015, 2016 ZapCon Winner
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,137636.msg1420628.html
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2014, 02:26:00 pm »
I recently procured a self-installing Windows 7 disk that has made life easier.  :cheers:
***Build what you dig, bro. Build what you dig.***

spoot

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 15, 2015, 10:36:18 am
  • Destroyer of electronics
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2014, 04:00:25 pm »
Check your fan/cpu combo.  I've had several instances where the install was causing it to overheat and bomb while it would run normal apps fine since it wasn't being pushed.

Mitkraft

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 30, 2015, 03:04:41 pm
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2014, 10:19:43 pm »
If you've added memory lately, that can cause it.  Also a failing hard drive can.  To test the drive download a bootable diag disk from the manufacturers website.  Doesn't usually have to be specific to your drive just same manufacturer.  Storage drivers lacking in XP can also cause this.  You might need to get the drivers for your storage controller and do the "press F6 to specify drivers" during install startup if you have a less common storage controller or a newer SATA controller who's drivers aren't included with XP.

Basically you have a piece of hardware or failing drive causing it to fault  (unless its a bad XP disk which is also a possibility). Just start playing process of elimination.

loz1962

• Offline Offline
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2015, 10:34:00 am »
Thanks for the help guys. The problem was : I had an old copy of XP service pack2 & the computer only had SATA drives in, so without the update to service pack 3 it was a no go. Got a good copy now on disk for future. installed easily and worked first time. BUT  Well after 4 weeks of trying to get the Dell computer to run for more than 30 minutes. I change back to an old system that was 10 years old, It ran consistantly, all programs installed even touch screen. BUT! cant get the drivers for the sound card anywhere. So no good there. I switched  back to the DELL and after changing memory, hard drives, formatting drives re-installing from scratch, removing and cleaning heat sinks and fans.and it still did not work for more than 30 minutes. I was just about to throw it in the bin when I thought I'd just check what google has to say, after watching videos on how to remove the capacitors from the mother board, researching what capacitors were needed. I nearly gave up. but then after pages & pages of google hits was a little message "it could be the cd/dvd drive" Now in my head there was no way this was related, but what had I to lose by trying it was going in the bin anyway. So I unplugged the cd/dvd drive completely and started it up..........

Low and behold it has been running non stop for 5 days...... apparently its a known fault with certain dvd drives on DELL computers, but they like to keep it quiet.  So all good now, the finish line is in sight & people want to hire my jukebox out from me! but  I wont do that it's for me & my family for fun times at home.

Keep on building people. Thanks for looking

More on this Jukebox on this post       http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,141688.0.html
« Last Edit: January 09, 2015, 10:36:50 am by loz1962 »

Mitkraft

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 30, 2015, 03:04:41 pm
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2015, 12:47:59 am »
Then I'll take partial credit for "Basically you have a piece of hardware or failing drive causing it to fault".  ;D

loz1962

• Offline Offline
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2015, 03:05:37 am »
Thankyou. :cheers: