Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: GM ASIO ALPHA 0.171  (Read 94027 times)

donluca

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 10:03:14 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Re: GM ASIO ALPHA 0.167
« Reply #360 on: November 28, 2015, 06:13:26 pm »

My guess is that ASIO4ALL uses kernel streaming on XP.

Also, please read the first post.

It does indeed, but also does other things which often mess up with the various systems I've tried it on (actually, I use wasapi on windows 7) so I asked because I was looking for a "clean" solution.

As we speak, I've been using Virtual Audio Cable to bypass the windows mixer and use kernel streaming but it's an inelegant solution, if you will.

How hard is it to tell MAME to use the kernel streaming API on windows xp as audio output rather than hijacking the audio stream via ASIO4ALL/Virtual Audio Cable/etc... ?
On a scale of fakeness, from more genuine to more fake, we'd have:

1.- Plastic plants (cf. Fake Plastic Trees)
2.- Inflatable dolls
3.- Arcade cabinets with LCD monitors

intealls

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 07:31:32 pm
« Reply #361 on: November 28, 2015, 06:29:38 pm »
How hard is it to tell MAME to use the kernel streaming API on windows xp as audio output rather than hijacking the audio stream via ASIO4ALL/Virtual Audio Cable/etc... ?

In regards to mainline MAME, there appears to be discussions of integrating PortAudio. If this is done (which is different from what I'm doing with BASSASIO), it *might* be possible to use the kernel streaming API.

Not using PortAudio and writing your own backend is probably fairly time-consuming.

donluca

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 10:03:14 am
« Reply #362 on: November 28, 2015, 07:17:18 pm »
In regards to mainline MAME, there appears to be discussions of integrating PortAudio. If this is done (which is different from what I'm doing with BASSASIO), it *might* be possible to use the kernel streaming API.

I've heard that, hopefully they'll go that way. Once done integrating KS should be possible without too many hassles.

I found lot of time ago someone discussing about that, but it's from 2004 so there's that:
https://github.com/mamedev/mame/blob/master/3rdparty/portaudio/src/hostapi/wdmks/readme.txt

not sure what happened then.

Not using PortAudio and writing your own backend is probably fairly time-consuming.

Definitely.

EDIT: looks like something is definitely moving: https://github.com/mamedev/mame/tree/master/3rdparty/portaudio
and it supports a lots of APIs, not only KS but wasapi too!
« Last Edit: November 28, 2015, 07:20:52 pm by donluca »
On a scale of fakeness, from more genuine to more fake, we'd have:

1.- Plastic plants (cf. Fake Plastic Trees)
2.- Inflatable dolls
3.- Arcade cabinets with LCD monitors

timply

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 17, 2018, 02:18:22 am
Re: GM ASIO ALPHA 0.168
« Reply #363 on: December 02, 2015, 01:13:13 am »
I'm not sure if this has been discussed before, I wasn't able to find anything in search.

Today, after a year of neglect, I updated everything to version 168. When compiling the new mame I added ASIO to see how far its come along since last time I tried it. (It did't work well with frame delay back then)

All the games that I tried worked fantastic but my only problem now is with my frontend, Hyperspin. When I first boot up Hyperspin, I have sound. Load up a game in Mame, I have sound. Now when I exit back into Hyperspin, the frontend no longer has sound. Load another Mame game and I have sound again. Exit back out into Hyperspin, no sound.

Was curious if anyone else has had this problem?

Thanks.

intealls

• Offline Offline
« Reply #364 on: December 02, 2015, 11:36:02 am »
All the games that I tried worked fantastic but my only problem now is with my frontend, Hyperspin. When I first boot up Hyperspin, I have sound. Load up a game in Mame, I have sound. Now when I exit back into Hyperspin, the frontend no longer has sound. Load another Mame game and I have sound again. Exit back out into Hyperspin, no sound.

What sound card/driver are you using?

timply

• Offline Offline
« Reply #365 on: December 02, 2015, 12:46:57 pm »
Yea,  I didn't think about posting my system info till I laid down in the bed.

I'm at work right now so hope I'm remembering right.
It's an integrated soundmax hd, using asio4all 2.13 and asio 168 diff.

Something curious I noticed after I had posted was it seems its the asio4all program that's at fault, if I open up asio4all offline settings while I'm watching a YouTube video inside of  a browser all of the sound will stop working.

I'll be off work in a few hours so I'll be a little more available to help with any info you need. I hate posting from a phone lol.

intealls

• Offline Offline
« Reply #366 on: December 02, 2015, 02:33:40 pm »
Something curious I noticed after I had posted was it seems its the asio4all program that's at fault, if I open up asio4all offline settings while I'm watching a YouTube video inside of  a browser all of the sound will stop working.

Figured it might be something like this. Try updating the driver, if possible.

ASIO accesses the sound card directly, and if the driver doesn't handle this properly this is one of the issues that can occur. For example, the Xonar U7 silences all other applications when using ASIO, and resumes them when ASIO is no longer used.

On my laptop, some of the time, ASIO4ALL won't start when another application is using the sound card (IDT HD codec). I haven't experienced any issues with the Realtek+ASIO4ALL combo however (and luckily this is a common configuration).

timply

• Offline Offline
« Reply #367 on: December 02, 2015, 05:46:41 pm »
Ok thanks.

I have an old Audigy 2 that I could put in the computer, do you think that would be a better route or am I better off trying to troubleshoot the integrated card first?

intealls

• Offline Offline
« Reply #368 on: December 02, 2015, 06:17:31 pm »
I have an old Audigy 2 that I could put in the computer, do you think that would be a better route or am I better off trying to troubleshoot the integrated card first?

Try updating the driver first, also check if you can find an updated driver from the manufacturer of the chip (Analog Devices?). If you decide to try the Audigy, I'd recommend using kX 3551 which you can find here: http://www.hardwareheaven.com/community/threads/3551-alpha-released.206609/.

There's also the possibility that Hyperspin is to blame (probably not the case since it seems to break with YouTube as well), however I haven't tested it since it's too much of a hassle to set up, but if anyone's using ASIO with Hyperspin please drop a comment if it works properly or not.

timply

• Offline Offline
« Reply #369 on: December 03, 2015, 12:46:21 am »
All the drivers seemed to be up to date. Oh well.

I installed the Audigy 2 and the kx project drivers. Ran batool64 got the cal freq and set it to 96 bytes. I didn't have a large amount of time to play around but everything seems to be working fine. The kx project control panel could use some working on though! lol!

intealls

• Offline Offline
« Reply #370 on: December 03, 2015, 12:21:29 pm »
All the drivers seemed to be up to date. Oh well.

I installed the Audigy 2 and the kx project drivers. Ran batool64 got the cal freq and set it to 96 bytes. I didn't have a large amount of time to play around but everything seems to be working fine. The kx project control panel could use some working on though! lol!

Great, also, you shouldn't need to set the cal freq anymore. This is handled automatically since a few releases back.

timply

• Offline Offline
« Reply #371 on: December 03, 2015, 12:35:44 pm »
Ah ok, so just set it back to 0.0?

intealls

• Offline Offline
« Reply #372 on: December 03, 2015, 03:33:16 pm »
Ah ok, so just set it back to 0.0?

Yup. Also, if you have platformclock enabled, you can disable it since the correct frequency is found regardless of its setting. (The frequency seems to change when QueryPerformanceCounter switches clocks)

intealls

• Offline Offline
Re: GM ASIO ALPHA 0.169
« Reply #373 on: December 30, 2015, 06:57:40 pm »
Bump to the utterly awesome 0.169/0.15l. Great job Calamity!

Foxhole

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 04, 2024, 04:36:28 pm
« Reply #374 on: January 23, 2016, 02:34:03 am »
It seems like i can't get sync with the latest version.
The official groovymame works just fine but this one seems to lose sync.
I am using the regular crt emudriver, not the new ones.
Tried changing presets in the ini but the problem persists.
Also tried starting from scratch as far as settings go and still can't get the tv to sync with this version.
P.S: Just wanted to say that this asio implementation is just awesome, coupled with xonar d2x i'm getting an insanely low audio latency, lower than 32ms, it's amazing!

intealls

• Offline Offline
« Reply #375 on: January 23, 2016, 07:05:37 am »
It seems like i can't get sync with the latest version.
The official groovymame works just fine but this one seems to lose sync.
I am using the regular crt emudriver, not the new ones.
Tried changing presets in the ini but the problem persists.
Also tried starting from scratch as far as settings go and still can't get the tv to sync with this version.
P.S: Just wanted to say that this asio implementation is just awesome, coupled with xonar d2x i'm getting an insanely low audio latency, lower than 32ms, it's amazing!

Thanks!

Ok, I'll bump it to 0.169 final which will most likely solve the issues.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2016, 07:21:06 am by intealls »

intealls

• Offline Offline
« Reply #376 on: January 23, 2016, 07:46:23 am »
Bump to 0.169 final, please report if this fixes the issues.

Foxhole

• Offline Offline
« Reply #377 on: January 23, 2016, 08:14:36 am »
Seems to work perfectly now.
Thank you.
Edit: And of course Calamity!
« Last Edit: January 23, 2016, 08:17:18 am by Foxhole »

intealls

• Offline Offline
« Reply #378 on: January 23, 2016, 08:15:44 am »
Seems to work perfectly now.
Thank you.

Don't thank me, thank Calamity. :)

intealls

• Offline Offline
« Reply #379 on: January 23, 2016, 09:01:57 am »

You should be able to go much lower than that, with my Xonar DGX I can hit 1 ms latency. However, the Xonar ASIO drivers I've tested are all really buggy (faint crackling etc) - you might be better off with ASIO4ALL if you have a Realtek chip on your motherboard.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2016, 09:03:30 am by intealls »

Foxhole

• Offline Offline
« Reply #380 on: January 26, 2016, 06:54:47 am »
Actually, i am using 1ms, and it works perfectly for me, using regular drivers and win7 x64, no crackling or anything like that.
Edit: BTW, how low can you go with asio4all and realtek?
« Last Edit: January 26, 2016, 07:23:09 am by Foxhole »

Foxhole

• Offline Offline
« Reply #381 on: January 26, 2016, 11:30:25 am »
Well, i've tried asio4all with realtek and also nvidia hdmi audio on my main rig, was able to pull 64 samples which, if i understand correctly, equals to about 1-2 ms, pretty awesome.
Alas it seems to cause problems with hyperspin.
After exiting mame i would get no sound in hyperspin, happens with the realtek chip and nvidia.
Any solutions for that?
With xonar d2x that problem doesn't exist.
Edit: Seems like the same problem timply had.
I'm pretty sure the problem isnt with asio4all per se but rather the fact it takes exclusive control of the sound card,
i had a similar problem with mednafen when used in wasapi mode, though with mednafen i didn't mind using the wasapi shared mode since the difference was negligible, so i never tried fixing that.
Hopefully i'll be able to find a way to fix this.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2016, 08:04:42 am by Foxhole »

intealls

• Offline Offline
« Reply #382 on: January 27, 2016, 10:04:04 am »
Edit: Seems like the same problem timply had.
I'm pretty sure the problem isnt with asio4all per se but rather the fact it takes exclusive control of the sound card,
i had a similar problem with mednafen when used in wasapi mode, though with mednafen i didn't mind using the wasapi shared mode since the difference was negligible, so i never tried fixing that.
Hopefully i'll be able to find a way to fix this.

Correct, it's up to the sound card driver. It's worth a try to update the Realtek driver to see if it fixes the problem.

With the Xonar DGX I got faint crackling in some games (Deathsmiles for instance), but if you don't know about it you'll probably not notice it. The Xonar U7 seems to have a bug in the driver that sometimes crashes MAME upon exit. I'm not sure the Xonar D2X behaves the same. From all my testing though, the ASIO4ALL+Realtek combo undoubtedly gives the most stable performance, so it's worth looking into, but general sound quality might be better with the D2X.

The main reason for using ASIO4ALL is if you're getting over/underruns when you shouldn't. You could check if the D2X behaves by starting GM from the command line as such 'mame64 samsho4 -str 900 -v -asio_log -fd 1 -video d3d'. This will run the game for fifteen minutes. If you're not getting any over/underruns with this configuration (or very few of them), it's probably not worth the time spent to get ASIO4ALL working correctly. You should be seeing 'ASIO: Overrun/underrun: x/y' near the end of the log.

Actually, i am using 1ms, and it works perfectly for me, using regular drivers and win7 x64, no crackling or anything like that.
Edit: BTW, how low can you go with asio4all and realtek?

I'm seeing the same excellent result as you - 64 samples is very stable on the PCs I've tested it on.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2016, 10:07:14 am by intealls »

Foxhole

• Offline Offline
« Reply #383 on: January 27, 2016, 12:50:06 pm »
Well, just tried several realtek drivers, the ones from my motherboard's site (Gigabyte), from realtek and even the default microsoft ones, and nada, still not working.  :angry:
The main reason i use ASIO4ALL is because the d2x is installed on my emulation pc.
I'm trying to use ASIO4ALL for my main pc which only has realtek and nvidia hdmi audio.
I wonder if there's at least a workaround for this.
With hyperspin and rlauncher i can run a command after exiting mame using User Functions.ahk, maybe there's a way to restore the sound using that?

intealls

• Offline Offline
« Reply #384 on: January 27, 2016, 02:28:58 pm »
Well, just tried several realtek drivers, the ones from my motherboard's site (Gigabyte), from realtek and even the default microsoft ones, and nada, still not working.  :angry:

Ok, thanks for reporting. I'll see if I can install Hyperspin and find a workaround.

Edit: What ASIO4ALL settings are you using btw (pull mode etc)?

Foxhole

• Offline Offline
« Reply #385 on: January 27, 2016, 02:36:16 pm »
Using the same settings like in the first page, pull mode checked, 64 samples, no latency compensation or anything like that, tried without pull mode either, buffer offset 0ms, force wdm driver 16 bit and always resample unchecked.
In the mean time, i remembered having an old sb audigy 4 in my old pc, just took it out and preparing to install it on this pc.
BTW, the realtek i am using is alc887, which is pretty common.
Motherboard: GA-B85M-HD3 http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=4568#sp
Thank you for your help.

intealls

• Offline Offline
« Reply #386 on: January 27, 2016, 02:57:07 pm »
Using the same settings like in the first page, pull mode checked, 64 samples, no latency compensation or anything like that, tried without pull mode either, buffer offset 0ms, force wdm driver 16 bit and always resample unchecked.
In the mean time, i remembered having an old sb audigy 4 in my old pc, just took it out and preparing to install it on this pc.
BTW, the realtek i am using is alc887, which is pretty common.
Motherboard: GA-B85M-HD3 http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=4568#sp
Thank you for your help.

Ok, thank you for testing and the information. I just tested HS (it was actually easier to get to run than I thought), and it appears to do the same thing with my Xonar U7.

I have no experience with the Audigy 4, but it will hopefully work if there are ASIO drivers for Windows 7 etc.

Edit: I was able to get it working with the Xonar U7 if I disabled 'Allow applications to take exclusive control over this device' in the Advanced sound settings pane, which probably shouldn't work, but did. It didn't work with ASIO4ALL+Realtek. At this point, I don't know. The Hyperspin devs obviously haven't thought of this scenario, DirectSound (or whatever they're using) should be released at emulator start, and reopened at emulator exit. Since ASIO (and perhaps WASAPI as well) is so rarely used for emulators they can't really be blamed for it either.

There's an application that will solve the issue however, but it's insanely overkill and expensive for simply solving the issue at hand, it can be found here: http://odeus-audio.com.au/Odeus/ASIOLinkPro.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2016, 04:56:26 pm by intealls »

Foxhole

• Offline Offline
Re: GM ASIO ALPHA 0.170
« Reply #387 on: January 28, 2016, 08:44:22 am »
Well, i've installed the card, tried offical drivers first, it allows to go as low as 2ms, but i have a strong feeling that the latency is in fact higher than 2ms, it's really hard to tell but it just doesn't feel like 2ms, with the realtek and asio4all or xonar d2x it feels lower. Maybe it's placebo, who knows.
At the current moment i've installed the kX drivers, they were a bit of a pain to install but got them to work.
The settings are horrendous, really horrible lol.
Surprisingly it allows to go as low as 32 samples (0.67ms) but it sounds horrible. 64 samples, on the other hand, sounds perfect.
Any tips about those drivers? that gui is confusing as hell. So far i had to swap front and rear speakers and configure the asio settings, other than that haven't touched anything else.
Any preferred settings for the asio format and sync?
« Last Edit: January 28, 2016, 08:46:01 am by Foxhole »

intealls

• Offline Offline
« Reply #388 on: January 28, 2016, 10:16:04 am »
Well, i've installed the card, tried offical drivers first, it allows to go as low as 2ms, but i have a strong feeling that the latency is in fact higher than 2ms, it's really hard to tell but it just doesn't feel like 2ms, with the realtek and asio4all or xonar d2x it feels lower. Maybe it's placebo, who knows.
At the current moment i've installed the kX drivers, they were a bit of a pain to install but got them to work.
The settings are horrendous, really horrible lol.
Surprisingly it allows to go as low as 32 samples (0.67ms) but it sounds horrible. 64 samples, on the other hand, sounds perfect.
Any tips about those drivers? that gui is confusing as hell. So far i had to swap front and rear speakers and configure the asio settings, other than that haven't touched anything else.
Any preferred settings for the asio format and sync?

Ok, does HS work properly with kX?

Yes, the GUI does take some getting use to. :) But once you do, it's hard not to love it. Also, kX for some reason seem to switch the front and rear jacks so it might be easier to simply switch those at the card, than configuring it to use the rear. There's also a real-time equalizer that affects all sound coming out of the card, including ASIO, which is terrific for headphones. The only reason I switched over to the Xonar U7 is that kX is a bit wonky under W10, and the original developer is no longer maintaining it. Under W7 though it's great, if you use 'kX WaveOut 2/3' as speaker, using the 'kX Master Mixer' might lead to problems.

You should leave the sync settings at the default, a lot of work has been put in to the ASIO implementation to make it work well with the default setting.

Foxhole

• Offline Offline
« Reply #389 on: January 28, 2016, 03:17:04 pm »
Ok, does HS work properly with kX?

Yes, the GUI does take some getting use to. :) But once you do, it's hard not to love it. Also, kX for some reason seem to switch the front and rear jacks so it might be easier to simply switch those at the card, than configuring it to use the rear. There's also a real-time equalizer that affects all sound coming out of the card, including ASIO, which is terrific for headphones. The only reason I switched over to the Xonar U7 is that kX is a bit wonky under W10, and the original developer is no longer maintaining it. Under W7 though it's great, if you use 'kX WaveOut 2/3' as speaker, using the 'kX Master Mixer' might lead to problems.

You should leave the sync settings at the default, a lot of work has been put in to the ASIO implementation to make it work well with the default setting.

Well, HS works properly with kX and official sb drivers.
Also, i think i found out why the official drivers won't go lower than 2ms. With the kX drivers installed the only way to get 1.33ms (64 samples) working properly without crackles and etc, i have to set a different audio card as the default sound card and only use the audigy for asio. If i set the audigy as the default audio card i have to set the latency to 2ms or else i get crackles and etc. Weird. Just to be clear, the audigy is the only one with asio support, the others can only work with ASIO4ALL, which is not installed. I'm stating that to make sure that you don't think that mame uses different asio driver because i changed the default audio device.
All at all, i'm thinking about removing the kX drivers and going with the official ones. Assuming i only care about fidelity and not equalizer settings and etc which driver would be the best choice?
In other words, is there a difference in the sound quality between the two drivers, fidelity wise?
EDIT: And about what i said earlier with the sb drivers having higher latency, that was my fault, my receiver was set to a delay of 20ms because it was connected to a different input.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2016, 03:23:05 pm by Foxhole »

intealls

• Offline Offline
« Reply #390 on: January 28, 2016, 04:02:27 pm »
Well, HS works properly with kX and official sb drivers.
Also, i think i found out why the official drivers won't go lower than 2ms. With the kX drivers installed the only way to get 1.33ms (64 samples) working properly without crackles and etc, i have to set a different audio card as the default sound card and only use the audigy for asio.

I've never seen this, weird. Are you using W10 or W7, and Audigy 4? The Audigy 4 is listed as 'partially supported' with kX, so it might be buggy.

Just to be clear, the audigy is the only one with asio support, the others can only work with ASIO4ALL, which is not installed. I'm stating that to make sure that you don't think that mame uses different asio driver because i changed the default audio device.

It won't change the ASIO device, you need to specify this with the '-asio_device x' setting. If you start a command prompt you can use the included batool64 to list what ASIO drivers are available.

If you run GM with '-v -asio_log' you also get information about what ASIO driver is being used.

All at all, i'm thinking about removing the kX drivers and going with the official ones. Assuming i only care about fidelity and not equalizer settings and etc which driver would be the best choice?

If the official SB drivers work, use them if you don't need anything extra from kX. If you're getting over/underruns with the official ones when you shouldn't, you could try the kX driver. The reason I'm recommending the kX driver is that I've done many, many tests with it, but only with fully supported cards (Audigy 2/Live!).

In other words, is there a difference in the sound quality between the two drivers, fidelity wise?

Nope, there shouldn't be a difference between the two.

Foxhole

• Offline Offline
« Reply #391 on: January 28, 2016, 05:35:57 pm »
I'm using win7 x64.
And thank you for your help.

intealls

• Offline Offline
« Reply #392 on: January 29, 2016, 04:11:15 am »
I'm using win7 x64.
And thank you for your help.

Thanks and no problem. Please report back if the original SB driver works properly.

Foxhole

• Offline Offline
« Reply #393 on: January 29, 2016, 05:02:54 am »
So far it works properly, but only allows to go as low as 96 samples.
Edit: results from runnimg smasho4 with your settings,
I:\Hyperspin\Emulators\Mame>mame64 samsho4 -str 900 -v -asio_log -fd 1 -video d3
d
SwitchRes: v0.015l, Monitor: lcd, Orientation: horizontal, Modeline generation:
disabled
SwitchRes: Using default vfreq range for LCD 59.000000-61.000000
SwitchRes: \\.\DISPLAY1: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660   (PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_11C0&SUBSYS_
354E1458&REV_A1)
SwitchRes: Device key: System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Video\{3B7E4324-B082-457
8-8488-6B1EF016122E}\0000
Video chipset is not compatible.
Switchres: Searching for custom video modes...
Switchres: [  1]  640x 480 @ 60 : system mode
Switchres: [  2]  640x 480 @ 75 : system mode
Switchres: [  3]  800x 600 @ 60 : system mode
Switchres: [  4]  800x 600 @ 75 : system mode
Switchres: [  5] 1024x 768 @ 60 : system mode
Switchres: [  6] 1024x 768 @ 75 : system mode
Switchres: [  7] 1176x 664 @ 50 : system mode
Switchres: [  8] 1176x 664 @ 60 : system mode
Switchres: [  9] 1176x 664 @ 59 : system mode
Switchres: [ 10] 1280x1024 @ 60 : system mode
Switchres: [ 11] 1280x1024 @ 75 : system mode
Switchres: [ 12] 1600x1200 @ 60 : system mode
Switchres: [ 13] 1768x 992 @ 25 : system mode
Switchres: [ 14] 1768x 992 @ 30 : system mode
Switchres: [ 15] 1768x 992 @ 29 : system mode
Switchres: [ 16] 1920x1200 @ 59 : system mode
Switchres: [ 17] 1920x1200 @ 60 : system mode
Switchres: [ 18] 1920x1080 @ 60* : system mode
Switchres: [ 19] 1920x1080 @ 59 : system mode
Switchres: [ 20] 1920x1080 @ 30 : system mode
Switchres: [ 21] 1920x1080 @ 29 : system mode
Switchres: [ 22] 1920x1080 @ 50 : system mode
Switchres: [ 23] 1920x1080 @ 25 : system mode
Switchres: [ 24] 1920x1080 @ 24 : system mode
Switchres: [ 25] 1920x1080 @ 23 : system mode
Switchres: [ 26] 1280x 720 @ 60 : system mode
Switchres: [ 27] 1280x 720 @ 59 : system mode
Switchres: [ 28] 1280x 720 @ 50 : system mode
Switchres: [ 29]  720x 480 @ 60 : system mode
Switchres: [ 30]  720x 480 @ 59 : system mode
Switchres: [ 31]  720x 576 @ 50 : system mode
Switchres: [ 32] 1152x 864 @ 75 : system mode
SwitchRes: Found 0 custom of 32 active video modes
SwitchRes: Creating automatic specs for LCD based on VESA GTF
SwitchRes: Monitor range 65962.00-68198.00,59.00-61.00,0.741,1.157,1.898,0.015,0
SwitchRes: -resolution was forced as 1920x1080@60

SwitchRes: Entering switchres_modeline_setup
SwitchRes: v0.015l:[samsho4] Calculating best video mode for 320x224@59.185608 o
rientation: normal

SwitchRes: [ 640]x[ 480]_(60=60.000000Hz) - locked

SwitchRes: [ 640]x[ 480]_(75=75.000000Hz) - locked

SwitchRes: [ 800]x[ 600]_(60=60.000000Hz) - locked

SwitchRes: [ 800]x[ 600]_(75=75.000000Hz) - locked

SwitchRes: [1024]x[ 768]_(60=60.000000Hz) - locked

SwitchRes: [1024]x[ 768]_(75=75.000000Hz) - locked

SwitchRes: [1176]x[ 664]_(50=50.000000Hz) - locked

SwitchRes: [1176]x[ 664]_(60=60.000000Hz) - locked

SwitchRes: [1176]x[ 664]_(59=59.000000Hz) - locked

SwitchRes: [1280]x[1024]_(60=60.000000Hz) - locked

SwitchRes: [1280]x[1024]_(75=75.000000Hz) - locked

SwitchRes: [1600]x[1200]_(60=60.000000Hz) - locked

SwitchRes: [1768]x[ 992]_(25=25.000000Hz) - locked

SwitchRes: [1768]x[ 992]_(30=30.000000Hz) - locked

SwitchRes: [1768]x[ 992]_(29=29.000000Hz) - locked

SwitchRes: [1920]x[1200]_(59=59.000000Hz) - locked

SwitchRes: [1920]x[1200]_(60=60.000000Hz) - locked

SwitchRes: [1920]x[1080]_(60=60.000000Hz)
   rng(0): 1920 x1080_60.000000p 0.000000 [fract] scale(6, 4, 1) diff(0.00, 16.6
5, 0.0000) ratio(6.000, 4.821)

SwitchRes: [1920]x[1080]_(59=59.000000Hz) - locked

SwitchRes: [1920]x[1080]_(30=30.000000Hz) - locked

SwitchRes: [1920]x[1080]_(29=29.000000Hz) - locked

SwitchRes: [1920]x[1080]_(50=50.000000Hz) - locked

SwitchRes: [1920]x[1080]_(25=25.000000Hz) - locked

SwitchRes: [1920]x[1080]_(24=24.000000Hz) - locked

SwitchRes: [1920]x[1080]_(23=23.000000Hz) - locked

SwitchRes: [1280]x[ 720]_(60=60.000000Hz) - locked

SwitchRes: [1280]x[ 720]_(59=59.000000Hz) - locked

SwitchRes: [1280]x[ 720]_(50=50.000000Hz) - locked

SwitchRes: [ 720]x[ 480]_(60=60.000000Hz) - locked

SwitchRes: [ 720]x[ 480]_(59=59.000000Hz) - locked

SwitchRes: [ 720]x[ 576]_(50=50.000000Hz) - locked

SwitchRes: [1152]x[ 864]_(75=75.000000Hz) - locked

SwitchRes: [samsho4] (1) horizontal (320x224@59.185608)->(1920x1080@60.000000)
   rng(0): 1920 x1080_60.000000p 0.000000 [fract] scale(6, 4, 1) diff(0.00, 16.6
5, 0.0000) ratio(6.000, 4.821)
SwitchRes: Setting option -rotate
SwitchRes: Setting option -noror
SwitchRes: Setting option -autoror
SwitchRes: Setting option -norol
SwitchRes: Setting option -noautorol
SwitchRes: Setting option -noblack_frame_insertion
SwitchRes: Setting option -multithreading
SwitchRes: Setting option -notriplebuffer
SwitchRes: Setting option -syncrefresh
SwitchRes: Setting option -waitvsync
SwitchRes: Setting option -nohwstretch
SwitchRes: Setting option -keepaspect
SwitchRes: Setting option -filter
SwitchRes: Setting option -prescale 1
Video: Monitor 00000000083EC4A8 = "\\.\DISPLAY1" (primary)
Direct3D: Using Direct3D 9
window_proc: WM_NCACTIVATE
blit_lock = TRUE
Physical width 1920, height 1080
Direct3D: Configuring adapter #0 = NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660
Direct3D: Adapter has Vendor ID: 10DE and Device ID: 11C0
Direct3D: Using dynamic textures
Direct3D: YUV format = RGB
Direct3D: Max texture size = 16384x16384
Direct3D: Device created at 1920x1080
Direct3D: First scanline: 0, Last scanline: 1079, Break scanline: 979, Delay sca
nline: 0
blit_unlock = TRUE
window_proc: WM_PAINT
Blitting thread created
winwindow_video_window_create: blit_lock = TRUE
Blitting thread started
RawInput: APIs detected
Input: Adding Mouse #0: HID-compliant mouse
Input: Adding Gun #0: HID-compliant mouse
Input: Adding Kbd #0: HID Keyboard Device
Input: Adding Mouse #1: HID-compliant mouse
Input: Adding Gun #1: HID-compliant mouse
Input: Adding Kbd #1: HID Keyboard Device
DirectInput: Using DirectInput 8
blit_lock = FALSE
window_proc: WM_PAINT:END
Input: Adding Joy #0: MotioninJoy Virtual Game Controller
ASIO: Game is running at 59.185608 Hz, screen at about 60.000000 Hz
ASIO: Driver SB Audigy 4 ASIO [C000] initialized with latency 96,
      sample rate 48000.00, compensated sample rate 0.000000,
      driver version: 2, bufmin: 96, bufmax: 65536,
      bufpref: 96, bufgran: 16
      audio latency is 1
      frame delay is 1
ASIO: Setting initial playback rate to 48000.000 Hz
Region ':maincpu' created
Region ':fixed' created
Region ':fixedbios' created
Region ':zoomy' created
Region ':mainbios' created
Region ':audiobios' created
Region ':audiocpu' created
Region ':ymsnd' created
Region ':sprites' created
Starting Samurai Shodown IV - Amakusa's Revenge / Samurai Spirits - Amakusa Kour
in (NGM-222)(NGH-222) ':'
Optional device 'cartslot6' not found
Optional device 'cartslot5' not found
Optional device 'cartslot4' not found
Optional device 'cartslot3' not found
Optional device 'cartslot2' not found
Optional device 'cartslot1' not found
  (missing dependencies; rescheduling)
Starting M68000 ':maincpu'
Starting Z80 ':audiocpu'
Starting Video Screen ':screen'
Optional device 'finder_dummy_tag' not found
Starting palette ':palette'
Starting Neogeo Sprites ':spritegen'
Starting Speaker ':lspeaker'
Starting Speaker ':rspeaker'
Starting YM2610 ':ymsnd'
Starting NeoGeo Banked Cartridge ':banked_cart'
Starting uPD4990A RTC ':upd4990a'
Starting NVRAM ':saveram'
Starting NeoGeo Memory Card ':memcard'
Starting NeoGeo Protection (Metal Slug X) ':mslugx_prot'
Starting NeoGeo SMA Cartridge ':sma_prot'
Starting NeoGeo Protection (CMC) ':cmc_prot'
Starting NeoGeo Protection (NEOPCM2) ':pcm2_prot'
Starting NeoGeo Protection (PVC) ':pvc_prot'
Starting NeoGeo Protection (Bootleg) ':bootleg_prot'
Starting NeoGeo Protection (KOF2002) ':kof2002_prot'
Starting NeoGeo Protection (Fatal Fury 2) ':fatfury2_prot'
Starting NeoGeo Protection (KOF98) ':kof98_prot'
Starting NeoGeo Protection (Super Bubble Pop) ':sbp_prot'
Starting Samurai Shodown IV - Amakusa's Revenge / Samurai Spirits - Amakusa Kour
Starting Speaker ':lspeaker'
Starting Speaker ':rspeaker'
Loading cheats file from cheat
ASIO: Advancing head 523 counts at update 2, speed is 1.000000
ASIO: Advancing head 116 counts at update 7, speed is 1.000000
ASIO: Advancing head 116 counts at update 16, speed is 1.013823
ASIO: Advancing head 112 counts at update 25, speed is 1.013823
ASIO: Advancing head 113 counts at update 34, speed is 1.013765
ASIO: Advancing head 112 counts at update 43, speed is 1.013765
Average speed: 101.37% (517 seconds)
ASIO: Average callback timeslice usage: 0.174222
ASIO: Overrun/underrun: 0/0
window_proc: WM_NCACTIVATE
blit_lock = TRUE
window_proc: WM_DESTROY
blit_lock = TRUE
Blitting thread destroyed
« Last Edit: January 29, 2016, 05:17:44 am by Foxhole »

intealls

• Offline Offline
« Reply #394 on: January 29, 2016, 12:54:27 pm »
Thanks for posting! That's a picture perfect result.

Foxhole

• Offline Offline
« Reply #395 on: January 31, 2016, 10:40:17 am »
Just wanted to give a bit of an update. After a while i noticed that the official sb drivers won't take exclusive control when asio is used, which led me to believe that something's wrong with them.
So i decided, for the last time, to install the kX drivers. Apparently, they also don't take exclusive control. Furthermore, i can't use winamp with maiko wasapi plugin (Uses exclusive wasapi mode) with them, keeps getting errors, so there's a chance that there is a problem with wasapi/exclusive mode with these drivers. Can you test that, intealls?
Other than that, i decided to give 64 samples another go, and good thing i did.
It seems that when i start a game from hyperspin there are crackles and pops for a few seconds, but it sorts itself out. Setting the priority to 1 in the ini seems to help a bit, but it's hard to determine that. I believe this happens due to the fact it doesn't take exclusive control of the audio. I should also mention that when starting a game outside hyperspin things seem to be better, with the audio being crackles and pop free for the most part. Only sometimes it starts with some crackles and pops ,but for a second or so, so it's not a big deal.
So that's that for now.
Also, i wanted to ask, what does the audio_latency setting do? I've read in one of your posts that it sets the intermediary buffer(?).
Should i set it to anything other than 1?
« Last Edit: January 31, 2016, 10:42:31 am by Foxhole »

intealls

• Offline Offline
« Reply #396 on: January 31, 2016, 11:58:13 am »
Just wanted to give a bit of an update. After a while i noticed that the official sb drivers won't take exclusive control when asio is used, which led me to believe that something's wrong with them.

So HS does not work properly with the official drivers?

So i decided, for the last time, to install the kX drivers. Apparently, they also don't take exclusive control. Furthermore, i can't use winamp with maiko wasapi plugin (Uses exclusive wasapi mode) with them, keeps getting errors, so there's a chance that there is a problem with wasapi/exclusive mode with these drivers. Can you test that, intealls?

How does this manifest itself? I'll try HS with kX (Live!) and Winamp with the maiko plugin.

Edit: Just tested maiko, and couldn't get it to work with any of the sound cards in my test box, neither kX, Realtek official drivers nor Xonar DGX (tried both exclusive and shared mode). Used Winamp 5.666 Lite with the maiko from here: http://maiko.elementfx.com and Winamp from here: http://meggamusic.co.uk/winamp/Winamp_Download.htm.

Other than that, i decided to give 64 samples another go, and good thing i did.
It seems that when i start a game from hyperspin there are crackles and pops for a few seconds, but it sorts itself out. Setting the priority to 1 in the ini seems to help a bit, but it's hard to determine that. I believe this happens due to the fact it doesn't take exclusive control of the audio. I should also mention that when starting a game outside hyperspin things seem to be better, with the audio being crackles and pop free for the most part. Only sometimes it starts with some crackles and pops ,but for a second or so, so it's not a big deal.
So that's that for now.

Yes, this is unfortunately the case with realtime audio (and sometimes misbehaving drivers). If you have stuff chugging in the background (which HS probably has), it is very likely to affect the real time process. Try setting 'sleep 0' in the ini, along with 'priority 1'. Also try increasing the ASIO buffer size to 128, if these changes don't improve the situation, increase the audio_latency to 2 (with 128 buffer size). Are you using a static frame_delay setting or similar? Also, if possible, could you post a log of a misbehaving game? It might be tricky to do this if launched from HS.

ASIO is unfortunately tricky sometimes - the quality of the drivers can vary astronomically between cards and other issues which are not exhibited when not using it come to light. But when it works right (also in combination with frame_delay) it's pretty magical.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2016, 12:15:19 pm by intealls »

Foxhole

• Offline Offline
« Reply #397 on: January 31, 2016, 02:27:37 pm »
It works just fine, i just meant that i was under the assumption that for asio to work properly with low latency it needs to take exclusive control, which it didn't. That's why i thought something is wrong.
Edit: Just tested maiko, and couldn't get it to work with any of the sound cards in my test box, neither kX, Realtek official drivers nor Xonar DGX (tried both exclusive and shared mode). Used Winamp 5.666 Lite with the maiko from here: http://maiko.elementfx.com and Winamp from here: http://meggamusic.co.uk/winamp/Winamp_Download.htm.
Definitely weird, it works just fine when used with the official sb drivers,the d2x and the nvidia hdmi audio, though haven't tested it with the realtek.
Yes, this is unfortunately the case with realtime audio (and sometimes misbehaving drivers). If you have stuff chugging in the background (which HS probably has), it is very likely to affect the real time process. Try setting 'sleep 0' in the ini, along with 'priority 1'. Also try increasing the ASIO buffer size to 128, if these changes don't improve the situation, increase the audio_latency to 2 (with 128 buffer size). Are you using a static frame_delay setting or similar? Also, if possible, could you post a log of a misbehaving game? It might be tricky to do this if launched from HS.
Sleep and priority are already set, by asio buffer size do you mean change the samples on the asio control panel? if so, i can already tell you that 96 samples fixes the issue, just like the official sb drivers, but i just wanted to try and get 64 samples working properly. About the audio_latency, can you please explain that option? What exactly does it do and what possible options does it have?
I am using a frame delay of 7 in general, but i also tried with 0 and unfortunately there are still crackles and pops.
The thing is that it only happens at the start of a game, in the very few first seconds, and even then it doesn't always happen, pretty random.

intealls

• Offline Offline
« Reply #398 on: January 31, 2016, 03:32:06 pm »
It works just fine, i just meant that i was under the assumption that for asio to work properly with low latency it needs to take exclusive control, which it didn't. That's why i thought something is wrong.

Nope, as long as you're getting audio you're set.

Sleep and priority are already set, by asio buffer size do you mean change the samples on the asio control panel? if so, i can already tell you that 96 samples fixes the issue, just like the official sb drivers, but i just wanted to try and get 64 samples working properly. About the audio_latency, can you please explain that option? What exactly does it do and what possible options does it have?
I am using a frame delay of 7 in general, but i also tried with 0 and unfortunately there are still crackles and pops.
The thing is that it only happens at the start of a game, in the very few first seconds, and even then it doesn't always happen, pretty random.

Yup, at the control panel. The audio_latency setting controls how many ASIO buffer-sized chunks to keep in the intermediary buffer between MAME and BASSASIO. If you use a setting of 2, it will try to keep 3 chunks in the buffer. If you use an audio_latency setting of 1, it will attempt to keep 2 chunks in the buffer. As such, when you use a latency setting of 96 with audio_latency 1, the total latency will be about 6 ms. If you use a buffer size of 64, the total latency will be about 4 ms. This allows for some leniency between MAME and BASSASIO. Setting it too strict will greatly reduce playback quality, since the slightest deviation in timing will cause the buffer to underrun. A too relaxed setting will cause higher latency than needed. I settled on these values since they appeared to work well in most scenarios. For your setup, the end result is that it's much better to leave audio_latency at 1 and try to solve any issues by increasing the ASIO buffer size.

Also, I treat the audio latency parameter as an integer currently, I should probably change it to a float to allow for more control, you could try setting it to 0.1 which will round it down to 0 for the absolute strictest setting (64 samples ASIO, audio_latency 0.1 should give about 2.66 ms of total latency), and see if that works, a lot of changes have been done so it might work better now than last time I tried it. But for games with varying frame times it will probably cause problems.

If you're only getting pops and crackles the very first second or so, my suspicion is that MAME very often hasn't been "properly started" yet. Subsystems and the operating system are still catching up. This will lead to an emulation speed that is not at 100% (which is verified by the log created by the ASIO implementation), and as such the audio buffers are not being fed as they should, which leads to the pops and crackles. The over-/underrun counter disregards the first few seconds of game time, so this is the preferred method of verifying that the setup works correctly. My guess is that it might be difficult to solve in a good way, and since it only affects the first second or so I haven't bothered too much with it.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2016, 03:34:57 pm by intealls »

Foxhole

• Offline Offline
« Reply #399 on: January 31, 2016, 04:29:27 pm »
Just tried audio_latency 0.1 with 4 games and it works exactly like audio_latency set to 1, crackles and pops for a few seconds and then works perfectly.
Of course if i set the buffer size to 96 everything is fine.
Honestly, this is more than ok by me, i'm getting an insanely low audio latency with just a few crackles at start, really not a big deal.
As far as i see it, everything's fine and we can consider this as solved.
Thank you for all your help.