Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Auto-mounting/unmounting images for games that need the disk/image in to play  (Read 1199 times)

Smudge418

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 20, 2016, 02:45:17 pm
  • Maximus arcade is very much alive......
Hello. :soapbox:

i recently downloaded a game call "Duke Nukem The Manhattan Project" which is a good game to add to any cabinet, its a side scrolling version of Duke Nukem with customisable controls and good graphics.

But i ran in to a problem :timebomb:, in order to run the game you have to have the disk image mounted (i use deamon tools). i wanted to add it to my cab but i needed to find some way of auto mounting the image when i selected the game in my front end so i created a batch file to do this (i use Maximus Arcade but this will work with any frontend that supports Batch files).

if you dont know how to create .bat files please see the link-

http://www.wikihow.com/Write-a-Batch-File

below is the batch file i wrote in order to do this-

@echo off
c:
cd C:\Program Files (x86)\DAEMON Tools Lite This is the location of deomon tools
start DTLite.exe -mount 0, "F:\emulators\PC games\Duke Nukem Manhattan Project\Duke Nukem Manhattan this is the location of your disk image Project.ccd"
F:
cd F:\emulators\PC games\Duke Nukem Manhattan Project\ This is the location of your .exe
start DukeNukemMP.exe
exit

DO NOT ADD THE WRITING IN RED ;)

Then i ran in to the problem that the .bat file was running to fast, before the disk was mounted it was trying to run the .exe, to over come this and slow down the .bat file i added a TIMEOUT for 5 seconds to the .bat file in order to give it chance to mount the image.

@echo off
c:
cd C:\Program Files (x86)\DAEMON Tools Lite
start DTLite.exe -mount 0, "F:\emulators\PC games\Duke Nukem Manhattan Project\Duke Nukem Manhattan Project.ccd"
TIMEOUT 5
F:
cd F:\emulators\PC games\Duke Nukem Manhattan Project\
start DukeNukemMP.exe
exit

Now i can run this game in my frontend using the created .bat file and it will mount the image automatically.

This will work on any game that requires the image to be mounted for the game to run. you just need to change the paths of the-

1. Virtual drive (Deamon Tools)
2. Image path (The image of the game)
3. EXE file

i hope this is helpful and if i only help one person thats enough.

PEACE OUT :afro:

Smudge418
« Last Edit: October 23, 2014, 06:39:33 am by Smudge418 »

thomas_surles

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 19, 2023, 07:20:00 pm
Re: Auto-mounting images for games that need the disk/image in to play
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2014, 10:06:18 pm »
The version I downloaded didn't need an image. But I [can't give any hints due to rule 5.  :police:]

Smudge418

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2014, 02:46:00 am »
Arrrr rule 5 lol well if you do come across any image that needs to be mounted heres the walk around

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 08:58:46 am
  • Designated spam hunter
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2014, 04:42:22 am »
No problems with your workaround, Smudge418.

TS's post was edited because it hinted at where to look for a version of the game that doesn't need an image.

Scott

Smudge418

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2014, 06:38:40 am »
Hello :soapbox:

again i ran into another problem ???, when i closed down my frontend the image was still mounted so i wrote another small batch file and incorporated it in to my frontend. meaning when my frontend closed down it would run this batch file to umount the image.

cd C:\Program Files (x86)\DAEMON Tools Lite (The location of deamon tools on your system)
dtlite.exe -unmount 0

Do not add the red writing