Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Totally Radical Arcade  (Read 22155 times)

brucelee00

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 13, 2020, 05:16:36 pm
Totally Radical Arcade
« on: October 14, 2014, 07:59:46 pm »
Hey Everyone!

I am working on an upright build for myself this time and I will be using the same CP design as in my Goonies build, which is based off of the Revolution CP but different cab shape. I wanted to do a relatively thin profile cab taking some cues off the woody cab again, but meshed it with a tweaked Stern upright cab design for some reason I really gravitated towards that angular design of the upper half/marquee area of that cab. I am still kinda up in the air on the artwork/theme design of this cab I was thinking of going 80's pink and neon green nothing too crazy but I like those 80's color and squiggly designs that I would mesh with some solid medium to dark grey area's of the cab to off set some of the bright and wild-ish design...more to come on that later. The other idea was do to a Ghostbuster theme cab, but not really sure on this. Take a look at the image and feel free to download the sketchup file and tweak it for yourself or to give me some suggestions on where i should go with this. Oh and the vertical rectangles next to the coindoor are where the Ultimarc lightguns are going to go. Thanks!

« Last Edit: April 21, 2018, 01:25:32 pm by brucelee00 »

brucelee00

• Offline Offline
Re: 80s Rad Kade Build
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2014, 08:01:25 pm »
 :)

yotsuya

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 01:02:22 pm
  • 2014 UCA Winner, 2014, 2015, 2016 ZapCon Winner
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,137636.msg1420628.html
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2014, 09:19:59 pm »
Why is the cab so tall? Are you like 6'4" or something? Cut down on the bezel area if you're going to use those monitors.

Look at Dave's build for a cab proportional to the monitor.
http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,140122.msg1450120.html#msg1450120
***Build what you dig, bro. Build what you dig.***

brucelee00

• Offline Offline
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2014, 10:35:04 pm »
Why is the cab so tall? Are you like 6'4" or something? Cut down on the bezel area if you're going to use those monitors.

Look at Dave's build for a cab proportional to the monitor.
http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,140122.msg1450120.html#msg1450120

I am 6' tall I pretty much kept this in the parameters as the woody/magneto cab etc... how tall are you ? I posted another quick rough mock up with the CP on there not sure if the first image was throwing you off ? I am open to using another monitor i suppose, not sure what to use or get?? I guess i could shorten the overall height or increase the coin door height so it decreases the overall bezel area... I'll have to mess around with it in sketchup so more.

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2014, 10:52:08 pm »
I'm 5'10".

The Woody was designed with a 4:3 in mind. This allows the bezel to look proportional to the screen. See The KISScade:

http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,111200.0.html

Putting a 16:9 in there makes for really thin sides and really big tops and bottoms. To me, it doesn't look right. Although I'm not a fan of 16:9s in cabs, at least Dave's aforementioned designs eliminate the wasted space, and I can appreciate that.

brucelee00

• Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2014, 11:04:07 pm »
I'm 5'10".

The Woody was designed with a 4:3 in mind. This allows the bezel to look proportional to the screen. See The KISScade:

http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,111200.0.html

Putting a 16:9 in there makes for really thin sides and really big tops and bottoms. To me, it doesn't look right. Although I'm not a fan of 16:9s in cabs, at least Dave's aforementioned designs eliminate the wasted space, and I can appreciate that.

Got it. I've seen all of Knievel's designs. As I said I am open to using a different monitor, but don't want a crummy monitor either. I know there are arguments that most of the games weren't hires etc so there really isn't much need, but i would like to play same modern arcade friendly steam games etc... which I guess wouldn't look bad on an older monitor. IMO if you aren't doing a 4:3 CRT then really why bother with a crummy old 19 lcd monitor that may break, that has slow response time etc, etc...  Not sure what the balance is ?? seems like there is going to be a trade off here... anyways I'll so what i can whip together that might mitigate the large bezel area. 

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2014, 11:12:52 pm »
I hear you, my friend. It's your cab, you can do what you want.. But I think if you're going to go widescreen, design the cab around that instead of shoehorning it into a 4:3 project.

brucelee00

• Offline Offline
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2014, 11:56:36 pm »
I hear you, my friend. It's your cab, you can do what you want.. But I think if you're going to go widescreen, design the cab around that instead of shoehorning it into a 4:3 project.

Did a little work on another rough mock up 3rd image at the top. I'm not the greatest at sketchup so if anyone wants to help out or take a crack at it feel free. I basically took the woody approach where i can put another piece of wood to span across the base of the bezel to give that smaller bezel look. I can make that piece as large as it needs to be, so let me know if this looks any better? I really don't want to mess with the height too much as i feel this is pretty optimal especially when the screen isn't angled very much. Most of the 80s cabs out there are about 5 or so inches shorter, but have a much more angled monitor which allows for a shorter cab hence this doesn't work when the monitor has small decline.

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2014, 12:19:37 am »
Yeah, even that looks a little bit better!  :cheers:

Unstupid

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 08, 2021, 08:46:34 am
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2014, 06:38:30 am »
You need to go larger in the horizontal direction, and if you insist on using 16x9 monitors then that means you have to go wider.  Get a 32" widescreen monitor and stretch your cab as wide as your control panel.  You should be able to find lots of good 32" led tv's that have really low lag times that are perfect for gaming. 

johnrt

« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2014, 07:07:27 am »
This kind of cab only suits a large 4:3 monitor. Either shrink the monitor area (make it not so tall) or find another more suitable design. (How come I don't like that woody cabs?). What you will wind up with in this case is some major spare real estate on the front bezel.

Generic Eric

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 05, 2024, 09:02:23 am
  • Restore! Don't maim for MAME, build from scratch!
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,143226.0.html
« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2014, 11:05:46 am »

gbeef

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 22, 2018, 03:32:26 pm
    • arcadepix.com
« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2014, 11:22:13 am »
Ghostbusters would be sweet you could make things glow also…. also same as the comments above if you bought a 32" you have 2 options.
Mount it vertical ( you could then keep the foot print the same)
Or Mount it Horizontal. (making the cabinet wider)
 :cheers:

My cabs
4 Player Arcade
X-men Arcade Remixed
My Pin Cab Attack of the PINZ cab
My Racing Cabinet Cab [URL=http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=

pbj

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 09:00:13 am
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2014, 11:40:42 am »
This thing you're doing with those monitors - stop.

BadMouth

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 25, 2024, 08:10:48 pm
« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2014, 03:20:06 pm »
I've got a tall cab with a 27" widescreen monitor and lots of extra bezel realestate.  It's made even worse by the extra width required for the monitor to rotate.
I compensated for it a bit with an angled moves list holder (also plan to make a larger 8.5" tall one for horizontal fighters).

You could also do an angled or stepped admin button area.
I don't like admin buttons other than escape and pause, but you could also put the coin and player start buttons up there.

I like the extra height of my cab.  I wasn't going to use the space above it for anything else.  :)
I think I ripped the starting point for the height off Ond's plans that are stickied in main forum.
The height of the CP and monitor location was determined through experimentation.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2014, 03:25:06 pm by BadMouth »

brucelee00

• Offline Offline
« Reply #15 on: October 15, 2014, 06:32:16 pm »
Not sure I dig or even understand using the 32" monitor... The whole idea is keeping the cab with a relatively thinner profile. I don't have the space to make the a behemoth cab width wise and put a massive monitor in there. That honestly does not appeal to me in the slightest. By the way where was everyone  on this build  :)http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,119175.0.html where he uses a 24 monitor as well ? and the many others I've seen. My bezel proportions are almost the same as his based on his sketchup file,  but I guess people like to pick and choose where to lay there disapproval on certain builds. All I'm saying tho I look and researched a lot both on the forums and trying out practical applications and this seems to work the best with a 24 monitor. I can pretty much gather that people just don't like the 16:9 in an upright, but don't get why going 32" horizontally  makes things better ?? That being said I am looking out for some newer 4:3 i know twisted quarter has a 19 lcd monitor not sure how that is.  :dunno :dunno
« Last Edit: October 15, 2014, 07:05:39 pm by brucelee00 »

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #16 on: October 15, 2014, 08:30:22 pm »
Not sure I dig or even understand using the 32" monitor... The whole idea is keeping the cab with a relatively thinner profile. I don't have the space to make the a behemoth cab width wise and put a massive monitor in there. That honestly does not appeal to me in the slightest. By the way where was everyone  on this build  :)http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,119175.0.html where he uses a 24 monitor as well ? and the many others I've seen. My bezel proportions are almost the same as his based on his sketchup file,  but I guess people like to pick and choose where to lay there disapproval on certain builds. All I'm saying tho I look and researched a lot both on the forums and trying out practical applications and this seems to work the best with a 24 monitor. I can pretty much gather that people just don't like the 16:9 in an upright, but don't get why going 32" horizontally  makes things better ?? That being said I am looking out for some newer 4:3 i know twisted quarter has a 19 lcd monitor not sure how that is.  :dunno :dunno

Don't get butt-hurt. Look at where his monitor is placed and look where your monitor is placed. They are worlds apart.

On the 32-inch monitor, the idea is to rotate so you're running in portrait mode.

brucelee00

• Offline Offline
« Reply #17 on: October 15, 2014, 08:48:07 pm »

Don't get butt-hurt. Look at where his monitor is placed and look where your monitor is placed. They are worlds apart.

On the 32-inch monitor, the idea is to rotate so you're running in portrait mode.

Nice!  ;)  The sktechup files i have would say otherwise, but anyways. Point was as good of resource this community is i guess i missed the big deal on 16:9 monitors and small bezels on the width then the height.

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #18 on: October 15, 2014, 08:51:55 pm »

Nice!  ;)  The sktechup files i have would say otherwise, but anyways. Point was as good of resource this community is i guess i missed the big deal on 16:9 monitors and small bezels on the width then the height.

I was actually making reference to your Goonies cab.

But still, one of the best rules-of-thumb here is to design the cab around your monitor. You don't HAVE to stick with the height of the original.

brucelee00

• Offline Offline
« Reply #19 on: October 15, 2014, 08:58:58 pm »
Understood. I just built off of designs that I thought were good from the get go not sure if the images aren't translating right, but the bezel, height etc are based very closely off of other great builds. Either way we'll have to agree to disagree.  I'll look into some monitor options, but the 32 won't work in the vertical position as its way too long then the available space I have believe it or not.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2014, 09:30:38 pm by brucelee00 »

brucelee00

• Offline Offline
Re: Thinking Ghostbusters Theme
« Reply #20 on: November 17, 2014, 12:17:05 am »
Hey Everyone,

Did some redesigning on the cab, made it a litter shorter and shrunk the bezel area see first post above for new design. I am thinking of going with a Ghostbusters theme now or may stick with my 80's rad kade theme. If I go Ghostbusters, I'm thinking of having the the Ghostbusters, couple of each charter from the movie shooting their proton beams upwards where the proton beam would meet at the marquee where it will say Ghostbusters and have slimer getting shot with the proton beams. Where there coin door area is I would put the Ghostbusters trap opened with the beam rays shooting out trying to suck in slimer and other ghosts in. Open to ideas on this. Thanks!   :)

Nephasth

« Reply #21 on: November 17, 2014, 09:26:12 am »
Ditch the trackball and the ugly CP box. Make a nice 2 player metal CP that will fit within the sides of the cab.

Vigo

• the Scourage of Carpathia
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+24)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 21, 2024, 08:20:28 am
« Reply #22 on: November 17, 2014, 02:40:13 pm »
Hey Everyone,

Did some redesigning on the cab, made it a litter shorter and shrunk the bezel area see first post above for new design. I am thinking of going with a Ghostbusters theme now or may stick with my 80's rad kade theme. If I go Ghostbusters, I'm thinking of having the the Ghostbusters, couple of each charter from the movie shooting their proton beams upwards where the proton beam would meet at the marquee where it will say Ghostbusters and have slimer getting shot with the proton beams. Where there coin door area is I would put the Ghostbusters trap opened with the beam rays shooting out trying to suck in slimer and other ghosts in. Open to ideas on this. Thanks!   :)

I doubt as it will come as any surprise, but I have been contemplating a Ghostbusters theme for quite some time now. I will like to see your take. One of the theme idea's i've contemplating was an Ecto-1 theme. This would be clean and glossy white, simple on the sides with just the ghostbusters logo.  Red t-molding to make it pop. I would have a couple blue tower lights on the top and a digital scrolling text sign as a marquee. Have it scroll the Ghostbusters and text like "We're ready to believe you". Then below it would have a slide out panel for the proton packs, where you can pull out the wands and use them as lightguns. The custom lightgun bit would probably be the biggest effort.

Feel free to take any of that if you want. When I actually make my GB cab, I am leaning to give it an ecto containment unit theme instead.

ChanceKJ

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 07, 2021, 02:52:06 pm
« Reply #23 on: November 17, 2014, 02:48:44 pm »
Ditch the trackball and the ugly CP box. Make a nice 2 player metal CP that will fit within the sides of the cab.

Agreed.

Also, this thread reminds me of that custom Ghostbusters pinball cab.  A well done GB theme NEEDS to be done!

...oh and the boot sound needs to be "ARE YOU A GOD?"

ChanceKJ

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 07, 2021, 02:52:06 pm
« Reply #24 on: November 17, 2014, 03:00:35 pm »
Ecto-1 theme ideas:
-white cab (use white vinyl to give that shine look)
-red t-moulding on the sides, Chrome around the CP.
-giant tilted GB logo across the sides
-tinted display glass
-chromed/polished coin door, marquee holders, hardware
-Chrome/polished bat tops, black push buttons with yellow plungers for p1. Yellow buttons with black plungers for P2
-Blue Coin door buttons
-some sort of blue hazard lights on or above the marquee.
-blue under and back glow.
-yellow serial number plate

:laugh:

Alternatively you could do Chrome buttons with translucent blue plungers and light them.

« Last Edit: November 17, 2014, 03:03:41 pm by ChanceKJ »

jdbailey1206

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 11, 2023, 01:32:56 pm
  • No. It's your top score on Pole Position.
« Reply #25 on: November 18, 2014, 09:18:31 am »
...a digital scrolling text sign as a marquee. Have it scroll the Ghostbusters and text like "We're ready to believe you". Then below it would have a slide out panel for the proton packs, where you can pull out the wands and use them as lightguns....

eds1275

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 10:43:03 am
  • Rock and Roll!
« Reply #26 on: November 18, 2014, 12:07:51 pm »

I think it was I who first had the front holes for arcade guns. I'm sure everyone will correct me if I'm wrong.

The only thing I think that would make this look slicker is slimming down the control panel - it is so deep, top to bottom, and then the arms that hold it are also really big.

Other than that the monitor looks fine to me!

Vigo

• the Scourage of Carpathia
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+24)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 21, 2024, 08:20:28 am
« Reply #27 on: November 18, 2014, 12:11:57 pm »
...a digital scrolling text sign as a marquee. Have it scroll the Ghostbusters and text like "We're ready to believe you". Then below it would have a slide out panel for the proton packs, where you can pull out the wands and use them as lightguns....

:duckhunt I think we are both envisioning the same thing.

It would be slick.  :cheers:

brucelee00

• Offline Offline
« Reply #28 on: November 18, 2014, 11:33:59 pm »
Hey Everyone, appreciate the feedback on this. The reasoning beyond the control panel is i like trackball games and having a non built in panel works better for golden t etc... I also like the design as it works well with playing pinball games, which is what I did on the Goonies build. I did make the CP a little thinner as suggested and tweaked some other things here and there. Still have a lot of ideas floating in my head about the Ghostbusters design, but stilling going back and forth on this or some 80s style build. For example, the Quantum artwork is pretty cool or some variation of that. Here are some new pictures of the core of the build.   

Nephasth

« Reply #29 on: November 19, 2014, 12:13:01 am »
You wanna play Golden Tee? Build a pedestal. You wanna play pinball? Buy a pinball machine.

You said it yourself.
The reasoning beyond the control panel is i like trackball games and having a non built in panel works better for golden t etc... I also like the design as it works well with playing pinball games, which is what I did on the Goonies build.

Try something new. ;)
« Last Edit: November 19, 2014, 12:27:07 am by Nephasth »

brucelee00

• Offline Offline
« Reply #30 on: November 19, 2014, 12:32:32 am »
You wanna play Golden Tee? Build a pedestal. You wanna play pinball? Buy a pinball machine.

You said it yourself.
The reasoning beyond the control panel is i like trackball games and having a non built in panel works better for golden t etc... I also like the design as it works well with playing pinball games, which is what I did on the Goonies build.

Try something new. ;)

I honestly don't have the room for a cab and pinball machine and rather have an upright vs a pedestal. Don't get get the issue of having a trackball I think most of the uprights  on here have them and  after all I am l building a mame cab. I mean I could go ahead and just build a regular traditional cab, but what's the fun in that  :cheers:

Nephasth

« Reply #31 on: November 19, 2014, 12:40:11 am »
I honestly don't have the room for a cab and pinball machine and rather have an upright vs a pedestal. Don't get get the issue of having a trackball I think most of the uprights  on here have them and  after all I am l building a mame cab. I mean I could go ahead and just build a regular traditional cab, but what's the fun in that  :cheers:

Only dead fish swim with the current. Why do you need two mame cabs that do essentially the exact same thing?

brucelee00

• Offline Offline
« Reply #32 on: November 19, 2014, 12:44:55 am »

Only dead fish swim with the current. Why do you need two mame cabs that do essentially the exact same thing?

I don't have a Mame cabinet. The Goonies build and pedestal I've done were for friends.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2014, 01:07:26 am by brucelee00 »

Nephasth

« Reply #33 on: November 19, 2014, 12:58:52 am »
Well, if you liked the goonies design... Run with it.

brucelee00

• Offline Offline
« Reply #34 on: November 19, 2014, 01:10:29 am »
Well, if you liked the goonies design... Run with it.

Just trying to tweak somethings and do something a little different, but do like the over build of The Goonies although some things could've been better. Just out of curiosity if you were to do an upright Mame build again what would do ? any classics shapes you would mimic ? what would you incorporate etc ?  :)

Nephasth

« Reply #35 on: November 19, 2014, 08:51:15 am »
If I ever build another mame machine, it will be a mini Galaxian for my nephew. Other than that, all my arcade projects in the queue use jamma switchers. The Beast is more than enough mame for me.

brucelee00

• Offline Offline
Re: Thinking Ghostbusters or 80s Theme
« Reply #36 on: November 23, 2014, 02:48:46 pm »
I'm in the Midwest so working in the garage is a no go till gets warm again. That will give me time to mess with some designs and get the art work in order. I'm still messing around with different designs by looking at some of the classics shapes. Can you tell what the original designs were based off of?  :cheers:

I think this was is pretty neat, but really don't have the space for it I don't think.

This one is pretty neat too. I know it's not super unique or different, but more in line with the space I have.

« Last Edit: November 23, 2014, 10:37:31 pm by brucelee00 »

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #37 on: November 23, 2014, 05:42:04 pm »
It looks like someone added a control panel box and marquee box to a Gauntlet.

jdbailey1206

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 11, 2023, 01:32:56 pm
  • No. It's your top score on Pole Position.
« Reply #38 on: November 23, 2014, 07:42:26 pm »
If you're going with a Ghostbusters theme why not just go with a rebuild of an original Ghostbusters cab?

brucelee00

• Offline Offline
« Reply #39 on: November 23, 2014, 07:54:15 pm »
If you're going with a Ghostbusters theme why not just go with a rebuild of an original Ghostbusters cab?

Honestly, I'm not that fond of the original Ghostbusters cab or if that's the theme I'm going to go with. Still trying to gather ideas on Ghostbusters or this neon 80s design I have stuck in my head amongst the handful of other ideas. Therefore, I'm seeing what I can get to come together first by toying with a few ideas.  :D