Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Space Base - PC Game - FINISHED  (Read 16851 times)

Sjaak

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 06, 2024, 05:21:26 pm
Re: Space Base - PC Game
« Reply #40 on: October 18, 2014, 03:13:10 am »
Nice! Things get serious at Wormhole 4. The lights were needed for low res play. Thanks! Are they going to flash like in ICB?

I don't know if the real Space Base has flashing, so not sure yet.

Le Chuck

• Saint, make a poll!
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 14, 2024, 06:01:28 pm
  • <insert personal text here>
« Reply #41 on: October 18, 2014, 08:14:48 am »
Nice! Things get serious at Wormhole 4. The lights were needed for low res play. Thanks! Are they going to flash like in ICB?

I don't know if the real Space Base has flashing, so not sure yet.

Yes, but not like ICB. Ours borrows a lot from the original but isn't a straight clone. You'll be seeing different features and game play elements that will hopefully enhance the experience beyond what ICB is able to deliver.  You'll all have to wait tho, as our focus is on getting the physical unit produced.

Of course sjaak is free to take this project in whatever direction he wants since it is his so sky is the limit really, but it might end up different than Space Base once complete.

Sjaak

• Offline Offline
« Reply #42 on: October 20, 2014, 07:14:54 am »
Final update for the moment. (20MB download)

OK, the game is done. Rules are pretty basic for now. I'm gonna wait for the real cabinet and then make a new version with all the correct rules and features (and blinking lights).

I think I never finished a project this fast...of course it helps if all the graphic and sound work is already done  :applaud:

I did make this amazing chrome sphere though ;D

rockyrocket

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 01, 2019, 02:13:03 pm
Sweet!, thank`s to all involved.

dgame

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 04, 2023, 06:00:54 pm
  • I am no Jedi
« Reply #44 on: October 21, 2014, 04:48:02 pm »
Looking good!

Ball drop detection may be a little generous though. Start a new game and press A three times and K two times. The bar is almost half over the lowest hole and the ball still falls in.

Thanks again, cool game.

Le Chuck

• Saint, make a poll!
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #45 on: October 22, 2014, 07:36:36 am »
Final update for the moment. (20MB download)

OK, the game is done. Rules are pretty basic for now. I'm gonna wait for the real cabinet and then make a new version with all the correct rules and features (and blinking lights).

I think I never finished a project this fast...of course it helps if all the graphic and sound work is already done  :applaud:

I did make this amazing chrome sphere though ;D

Looks super with the high res art, nice work on everything!  Makes me that much more motivate to get the real one going.  Also, the space bar didn't actually start the game for me like the display said, it was some other button, I was mashing to get it start. 

Sjaak

• Offline Offline
« Reply #46 on: October 22, 2014, 02:02:09 pm »
Looks super with the high res art, nice work on everything!  Makes me that much more motivate to get the real one going.  Also, the space bar didn't actually start the game for me like the display said, it was some other button, I was mashing to get it start.

Thanks, can't wait to see what you have in store. Hope to see some new pictures soon  ;)

You can exit the title screen using SPACE. To start the game, press 'S'. I've made a new version which should be more clear.

Update here

What's new:
  • A bit of glow for the 7-segment display
  • Configuration menu (access in attract mode using TAB) with 'laser action'
  • Controls can be customized in game.ini

pbj

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 23, 2024, 11:27:54 pm
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #47 on: October 22, 2014, 02:37:54 pm »
Nice work.  How can I get rid of the credits screen?

dgame

• Offline Offline
  • I am no Jedi
« Reply #48 on: October 23, 2014, 04:50:25 pm »
Nice update. Getting used to the ball drop mechanics. Have to cover most of the unwanted wormhole's top half with the bar or the ball drops in.
Can we get dual joystick support in the future? Thanks!

thatpurplestuff

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 23, 2024, 02:42:39 pm
« Reply #49 on: October 30, 2014, 11:10:37 am »
Just wanted to chime in and say thanks for such a great game... got to the 10th hole last night but I choked and couldn't sink it!  Makes me very stoked to build one of these bad boys once the plans are done!

So once again, we find that evil of the past seeps into the present like salad dressing through cheap wax paper, mixing memory and desire.

Xiaou2

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 12, 2023, 05:41:19 pm
  • NOM NOM NOM
« Reply #50 on: October 31, 2014, 06:38:36 pm »
Tried it on my laptop a bit ago. 

Not bad...  but so ya know, the physics of your game are way off.

Your ball mass is more akin to a bowling ball... with slow acceleration & deceleration.

The ICB Arcade uses a low mass ball that accelerates very quickly.  The extra mass of your ball seems to make it more interesting. .. but its doudtful that most will make a 20ft tall version to get the same effect.

Sjaak

• Offline Offline
« Reply #51 on: November 02, 2014, 08:39:07 am »
Just wanted to chime in and say thanks for such a great game... got to the 10th hole last night but I choked and couldn't sink it!  Makes me very stoked to build one of these bad boys once the plans are done!

Thanks for playing  :) Haven't gotten past 7 yet.

Can we get dual joystick support in the future? Thanks!

I think that can be arranged, you mean actual windows joysticks, right?
« Last Edit: November 02, 2014, 08:40:53 am by Sjaak »

dgame

• Offline Offline
  • I am no Jedi
« Reply #52 on: November 22, 2014, 10:11:11 am »
Dual joysticks not duel joysticks. Yeah, actual windows joysticks like on a typical two player MAME cabinet.  :lol

Sjaak

• Offline Offline
Re: Space Base - PC Game - FINISHED
« Reply #53 on: January 04, 2015, 04:27:19 am »
Just a quick reminder that some options in the game can be changed in the configuration menu (TAB). Use the up/down keys to move the options 'laser' and press enter to blast the option to another value.

Download the complete game here.

gb_phil

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 11, 2023, 04:18:30 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #54 on: January 13, 2015, 06:08:25 pm »
Sjaak,

Awesome project...as always. I just downloaded the latest version and tried changing the controls in the ini file but for some reason they aren't taking. I tried changing the up and down to other letters and also tried to change the start button to a different letter and no joy. I have to go back in and change it all back the way it was for the same to play. Any idea what I might be doing wrong? Changing the display stuff works just fine but the controls aren't working for me for whatever reason.

Sjaak

• Offline Offline
« Reply #55 on: January 15, 2015, 07:37:13 am »
Sjaak,

Awesome project...as always. I just downloaded the latest version and tried changing the controls in the ini file but for some reason they aren't taking. I tried changing the up and down to other letters and also tried to change the start button to a different letter and no joy. I have to go back in and change it all back the way it was for the same to play. Any idea what I might be doing wrong? Changing the display stuff works just fine but the controls aren't working for me for whatever reason.

No problem here at all, I just changed the right up and right down to J and N. Are you trying to use special keys??? If so then take a look here: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/microsoft.xna.framework.input.keys.aspx

gb_phil

• Offline Offline
« Reply #56 on: January 15, 2015, 01:26:27 pm »
Sjaak,

No problem here at all, I just changed the right up and right down to J and N. Are you trying to use special keys??? If so then take a look here: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/microsoft.xna.framework.input.keys.aspx

Decided to try it again and noticed that the keys have to be capitalized. I never knew...LOL. I also learned that the up arrow key has to be typed as "Up". Not "up" or "UP". I've messed with many ini files over the past year and never knew that. So now the game works on my cabinet with the two joysticks working the lever. Freaking awesome! The only other thing I haven't figured out is how to change the start key to the number 1. Obviously I tried "1" and that didn't work. Also tried "NumPad1" for kicks and that didn't work. It's not a big deal since I can just start the game with my first fire button but I am interested in knowing how to get "1" to work if it's possible.

I've been looking for a game like this ever since I first saw Ice Cold Beer six months or so ago for the first time. I did find an Ice Cold Beer game online somewhere (I think someone sent you the link in a previous post) but at the time I couldn't figure out how to remap the keys. I've since learned about AHK in HyperLaunch HQ so now I need to get both of these babies added to my Hyperspin. Thanks again for releasing this to us. I'll be watching your build thread too.

Le Chuck

• Saint, make a poll!
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #57 on: January 15, 2015, 01:30:37 pm »
I'll be watching your build thread too.

The build thread is mine, IDS, and EDS1275's. 

gb_phil

• Offline Offline
« Reply #58 on: January 15, 2015, 01:41:43 pm »
I'll be watching your build thread too.

The build thread is mine, IDS, and EDS1275's.

Sorry about that Le Chuck! I browsed the thread a couple of days ago but didn't take note of who was doing what. I subscribed to the thread a few mins ago and I plan on going back and reading everything today or tomorrow.

Sjaak

• Offline Offline
« Reply #59 on: January 15, 2015, 02:04:38 pm »
Decided to try it again and noticed that the keys have to be capitalized. I never knew...LOL. I also learned that the up arrow key has to be typed as "Up". Not "up" or "UP". I've messed with many ini files over the past year and never knew that.

It's different depending on the software. In some applications, you can probably type "UP", "up" or "uP", but in this case you need to be exact. I could add a lot more code to catch the different spelling, but that would mean more work for me  ;)

use D1 for the '1' key

gb_phil

• Offline Offline
« Reply #60 on: January 15, 2015, 02:17:21 pm »
Decided to try it again and noticed that the keys have to be capitalized. I never knew...LOL. I also learned that the up arrow key has to be typed as "Up". Not "up" or "UP". I've messed with many ini files over the past year and never knew that.

It's different depending on the software. In some applications, you can probably type "UP", "up" or "uP", but in this case you need to be exact. I could add a lot more code to catch the different spelling, but that would mean more work for me  ;)

use D1 for the '1' key

Perfect! It works now. I did think of another question though. The credits screen that pops up requires the space key to be pressed. Is there any way for me to modify that key or skip the credits screen or something? I don't have space mapped to any of my arcade controls. I do keep a little bluetooth keyboard nearby but when I have people over I normally hide that since the arcade controls handle 99% of the front end and MAME.

Sjaak

• Offline Offline
« Reply #61 on: January 16, 2015, 03:11:14 pm »

use D1 for the '1' key

Perfect! It works now. I did think of another question though. The credits screen that pops up requires the space key to be pressed. Is there any way for me to modify that key or skip the credits screen or something? I don't have space mapped to any of my arcade controls. I do keep a little bluetooth keyboard nearby but when I have people over I normally hide that since the arcade controls handle 99% of the front end and MAME.

I will keep this in mind for version 2.0.

SegaOutrun

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 28, 2019, 03:02:05 am
  • Brakes are overrated
« Reply #62 on: January 17, 2015, 12:10:59 am »
i love this! Ive always dream of owning an ICE COLD BEER machine.

Thank you for sharing.

I second the ability to change the spacebar on the credits screen.

Sjaak

• Offline Offline
« Reply #63 on: January 17, 2015, 01:51:17 pm »
i love this! Ive always dream of owning an ICE COLD BEER machine.

Thank you for sharing.

I second the ability to change the spacebar on the credits screen.

No problem, this will be in the next version of the game.

DeLuSioNal29

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 20, 2023, 11:39:06 pm
  • Build the impossible -"There is no Spoon"
    • DeLuSioNaL's YouTube Videos
« Reply #64 on: January 17, 2015, 02:09:40 pm »
Finally got around to trying this...  Great work!

However, not sure if I missed it, but what are the commands to configure the joystick mappings?  Does it even support joysticks at this time?

Thanks in advance!

DeLuSioNaL29
Stop by my Youtube channel and leave a comment:

Sjaak

• Offline Offline
« Reply #65 on: January 17, 2015, 02:28:10 pm »
Finally got around to trying this...  Great work!However, not sure if I missed it, but what are the commands to configure the joystick mappings?  Does it even support joysticks at this time?

Thanks in advance!

DeLuSioNaL29

No joystick support, unless you use an ipac. When the real Space Base is done, I'll create a new version with all the bells and whistles, but I wanted this version to be finished before the end of 2014 (for the UCA).

Le Chuck

• Saint, make a poll!
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #66 on: January 17, 2015, 07:54:23 pm »
I wanted this version to be finished before the end of 2014 (for the UCA).

I find the physics too far off to consider this for a nomination based on the software alone.  Since the music and art are from another ongoing as of yet unfinished build I personally don't think it should be considered based on the merits of those - fully acknowledge I am a very biased party - especially since this doesn't contain the completed products of either. 

That aside, I'm glad to have it as it helped me see how things were fitting together and did give me some motivation to get off my kiester and start making some physical headway on the build.  I don't speak for the other involved parties, EDS1275 and IDS, but that's where I fall on it. 

Sjaak

• Offline Offline
« Reply #67 on: February 01, 2021, 10:04:49 am »
For anyone who is interested in the code for the game: GitHub

meyer980

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 29, 2024, 04:00:11 pm
  • Building fun things for fun