Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: New CRT Emudriver/VMMaker/Arcade OSD download, documentation and discussion site  (Read 198293 times)

Calamity

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 14, 2024, 05:26:05 am
  • Quote me with care
Hi again, I bought the adaptor and have been trying to make it work without success.

Since lemmon posted this, we've been testing different HDMI to VGA adapters, with success. Lemmon, thanks for helping me with the testing process. I'll post an article in Eiusdemmodi with our results.

Important note: posts reporting GM issues without a log will be IGNORED.
Steps to create a log:
 - From command line, run: groovymame.exe -v romname >romname.txt
 - Attach resulting romname.txt file to your post, instead of pasting it.

CRT Emudriver, VMMaker & Arcade OSD downloads, documentation and discussion:  Eiusdemmodi

Calamity

• Offline Offline
  • Quote me with care
[19/10/2018][CRT Emudriver 2.0][CRT Tools 2.0][beta 14]

- [Emudriver]  Removed low pixel clock limitation on HDMI outputs. This allows outputting 15 kHz through HDMI in combination with HDMI->VGA active adapters.

- [VMMaker]    Added support for EDID emulation on digital outputs (HDMI and DVI-D). EDID emulation drop-down menu now shows outputs by type. DisplayPort still not supported.

- [VMMaker]    Support for pixelclocks up to 6 GHz. Modeline generation now possible from 15 kHz up to 8K fulldome. Bandwidth limitations imposed by drivers still apply.

- [VMMaker]    Fix XML processing of newer versions of MAME.
Steps to create a log:

CRT Emudriver, VMMaker & Arcade OSD downloads, documentation and discussion:  Eiusdemmodi

cools

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 11, 2024, 02:59:06 pm
  • Arcade Otaku Sysadmin
    • Arcade Otaku
  - [VMMaker]    Fix composite sync for HD 5000+ cards.

Long time since, but I bought one of these VGA to 4x BNC cables and have it connecting a 5450 directly via the VGA port (EDID emulation on, Composite sync on) to a Sony PVM

shredward

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 03, 2019, 02:59:50 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
 :angry:
« Last Edit: January 02, 2019, 05:31:04 pm by shredward »

Quaristice

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 07, 2019, 06:30:17 pm
  • 1993 Sega Astro City
First of all would just like to thank calamity for the excellent CRT Emudriver 2.0. Got my Astro City with Nanao MS9-29 running on windows 7 with a Radeon HD 7790. It's all working great resolution switching etc.

I was hoping someone could help me figure out a problem I may have found with regards to colour accuracy. So since we all strive to achieve the closest we can to get these old games to look correct in terms of resolution and refresh rate, aspect ratio etc. I wanted to get the picture as good as i can. I have access to a x-rite eye 1 pro calibration device. I started to calibrate my monitor to get the best colour accuracy i could but came across a problem.

If you connect a pc to an arcade monitor via DVI-I to VGA the driver uses Full Range RGB values (0-255) automatically. The problem here is that on my setup blacks are crushed at the bottom end and whites are also destroyed at the top end. Confirmed using test patterns. I'm thinking i would need to change the pixel format via CCC to ycbcr or rgb limited 16-235. This would convert the full range signal in windows and send out the correct range for my monitor. (im assuming arcade monitors/crt tvs expect limited 16-235 range?)

So far i have tried installing various versions of CCC (i know it's not advised but wanted to try) but the pixel format option does not exist. I have also dug into the registry but could find no option to force it. I think the only way would be to overide the EDID or use a hdmi to vga adapter but i don't have access to one of these yet.

Sorry for the long winded post, i can't imagine the work gone into this project and don't want to sound like i'm complaining because i am not. I just strive for the perfect setup and was hoping someone could shed some light on any work arounds.

Thank you so much :-)

Calamity

• Offline Offline
  • Quote me with care
In this link there's a file named cnext64.7z, that's the standalone installer for the Radeon Settings app, corresponding to the Emudriver based on 16.2.

I doubt such setting exists, however.

MAME now supports LUT's for monitor calibration, check this. Unfortunately it's done through HLSL, which is undesired on CRTs. I don't know if you can disable HLSL feature but the LUT.
Steps to create a log:

Quaristice

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 07, 2019, 06:30:17 pm
  • 1993 Sega Astro City
In this link there's a file named cnext64.7z, that's the standalone installer for the Radeon Settings app, corresponding to the Emudriver based on 16.2.

I doubt such setting exists, however.

MAME now supports LUT's for monitor calibration, check this. Unfortunately it's done through HLSL, which is undesired on CRTs. I don't know if you can disable HLSL feature but the LUT.

I downloaded and installed the cnext you linked but unfortunately the option is not there for pixel format. I read that it's not available when the connection detects a dvi output and just forces full RGB.

I appreciate the idea of the LUT but i was hoping to do a system wide calibration at monitor level using the pot adjustments so all my emulators look correct.

Do you think that if i ordered a hdmi to vga adaptor it would allow the options to appear?

I really appreciate the help and suggestion.

Calamity

• Offline Offline
  • Quote me with care
[28/01/2019][CRT Emudriver 2.0][CRT Tools 2.0][beta 15]

- [Emudriver]  New driver packages based on Adrenalin 18.5.1. Lots of new AMD GPUs & APUs supported. Fixes support for 4K custom resolutions which is broken on official AMD drivers.

- [Arcade OSD] Implemented new rendering backend based on Direct3D9Ex. This allows fluid page flipping on modern versions of Windows, making it possible to perform accurate refresh measurements again. It also fixes some compatibility issues. DirectDraw now is only used on Windows XP.

- [VMMaker]    Fixed bug that caused EDID emulation device list to appear empty.

- [VMMaker]    Fixed EDID emulation through HDMI for new GPUs, previously it caused unstability.

- [VMMaker]    Several bugs fixed regarding internal management of mode lists.
Steps to create a log:

Arroyo

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 11:53:53 am
  • Budgets are boring
    • newforum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,156267.0.html
[28/01/2019][CRT Emudriver 2.0][CRT Tools 2.0][beta 15]

- [Emudriver]  New driver packages based on Adrenalin 18.5.1. Lots of new AMD GPUs & APUs supported. Fixes support for 4K custom resolutions which is broken on official AMD drivers.

- [Arcade OSD] Implemented new rendering backend based on Direct3D9Ex. This allows fluid page flipping on modern versions of Windows, making it possible to perform accurate refresh measurements again. It also fixes some compatibility issues. DirectDraw now is only used on Windows XP.

- [VMMaker]    Fixed bug that caused EDID emulation device list to appear empty.

- [VMMaker]    Fixed EDID emulation through HDMI for new GPUs, previously it caused unstability.

- [VMMaker]    Several bugs fixed regarding internal management of mode lists.

Nice!  Thanks again.

psakhis

• Online Online
  • Last login:Today at 05:27:18 am
Hi all,

First of all, thx Calamity for this nice work.

I tested new beta 15 on HD6450 and i can not set 640x240; after install modes with vmmaker, windows not recognized this resolution.

I reverted to beta 14 and works fine again with the same file .ini

Salut

greath

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 24, 2019, 07:18:33 pm
I hope this is the correct place to post this: I am unfortunately not able to get crt_emudriver to work on my PVM-1953MD and am hoping to get a little help. I follower the installation guide, I'm using an hd5450, and I get all the way to "Enable EDID emulation" and the picture does not seem to be working properly. Enabling composit sync gets me a stable picture, but that picture is slightly distorted and fades to black quickly. Here is a video I made of the picture fade:

I'm not sure what's happening. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

psakhis

• Online Online
  • Last login:Today at 05:27:18 am
Hi all,

I tested new beta 15 on HD6450 and i can not set 640x240; after install modes with vmmaker, windows not recognized this resolution.

Salut

I tested again and it's fine. I think the problem was to have monitor and tv connected at the same time.

Calamity

• Offline Offline
  • Quote me with care
Hi all,

Salut

I tested again and it's fine. I think the problem was to have monitor and tv connected at the same time.

Sometimes the monitor's EDID may get in the middle, but if you use EDID emulation on the TV this shouldn't happen. Anyway, I'm glad you figured it out.
Steps to create a log:

DarkStalkerBR

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 10, 2019, 04:28:57 am
Hey everyone,

I think its my first post here and really appreciate if someone could help me.

I have a SLI of 2x Nvidia 970, using Corsair Bracket and AIO Water Coolers on both. For me, its a fantastic performance with the overclock done on them.
Also I'm using a i7 4790k + ASUS Z97-PRO MB.

My intention now is to add a third video card from AMD to use the CRT Emudriver and send the analog output to my CRT TV.
I have tried this with Nvidia, it works, but its not great. AMD video cards is recommended to do this job done.

My question is: Is it possible to add this third AMD Video card (something like the R9 270) to play my retrogames and also continue using the SLI 970s at the same time for the newer not affecting performance?

The SLI needs to keep the x8 on PCI-e on both, and third video card possibly runnning at x4 for native resolution (dont wanna super resolution) at the 3rd PCI-e on MB.

My ASUS MB manual is here: https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/LGA1150/Z97-PRO/E9062_Z97-PRO.pdf

Page 35 shows the scheme of the Slots on PCI-e.

I'm using Windows 10.
Sorry for my English. Its not my natural language.

Thank you!

sofakng

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 18, 2021, 04:19:21 pm
Does the CRT Emudriver support any on-board GPUs?

I'm trying to find a mini-itx motherboard with VGA output and a GPU supported by CRT Emudriver.  Basically I'm trying to build the absolute smallest box for GroovyMame/CRT Emudriver...

newmanfamilyvlogs

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 15, 2022, 05:20:38 pm
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,103584.msg1096585.html#msg1096585
    • Newman Family Vlogs
Hey everyone,

I think its my first post here and really appreciate if someone could help me.

I have a SLI of 2x Nvidia 970, using Corsair Bracket and AIO Water Coolers on both. For me, its a fantastic performance with the overclock done on them.
Also I'm using a i7 4790k + ASUS Z97-PRO MB.

My intention now is to add a third video card from AMD to use the CRT Emudriver and send the analog output to my CRT TV.
I have tried this with Nvidia, it works, but its not great. AMD video cards is recommended to do this job done.

My question is: Is it possible to add this third AMD Video card (something like the R9 270) to play my retrogames and also continue using the SLI 970s at the same time for the newer not affecting performance?

The SLI needs to keep the x8 on PCI-e on both, and third video card possibly runnning at x4 for native resolution (dont wanna super resolution) at the 3rd PCI-e on MB.

My ASUS MB manual is here: https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/LGA1150/Z97-PRO/E9062_Z97-PRO.pdf

Page 35 shows the scheme of the Slots on PCI-e.

I'm using Windows 10.
Sorry for my English. Its not my natural language.

Thank you!

I haven't done this personally, but it sounds like it could partially work. Calamity will have to confirm, but I believe that GroovyMame requires that the crt_emudriver display be DISPLAY0 in order to change resolutions and timings automatically. This might be a problem in the multi-gpu setup that you are describing.

DarkStalkerBR

• Offline Offline
My MB have some restrictions when using the third video card, like running only at x1 or disabling USB fuctions if it is on x4.
So I end up removing the second video card and put an ATI 5750 on Slot 2.

But now I have another problem: CRT Emudriver is crashing during installation, around 30%.
Mouse jumps to the center of the screen and then the system freezes!

I'm using Windows 10 x64, Asus z97-Pro, Nvidia 970 + ATI 5750.

Already tried it in Safe mode. It installs, but Windows crashes when loading to normal boot.

Can someone pls help me?
I'm stuck at this...

Calamity

• Offline Offline
  • Quote me with care
My MB have some restrictions when using the third video card, like running only at x1 or disabling USB fuctions if it is on x4.
So I end up removing the second video card and put an ATI 5750 on Slot 2.

But now I have another problem: CRT Emudriver is crashing during installation, around 30%.
Mouse jumps to the center of the screen and then the system freezes!

I'm using Windows 10 x64, Asus z97-Pro, Nvidia 970 + ATI 5750.

Already tried it in Safe mode. It installs, but Windows crashes when loading to normal boot.

Can someone pls help me?
I'm stuck at this...

Which version of the Emudriver?
Steps to create a log:

DarkStalkerBR

• Offline Offline
Thanks for reply me Calamity!

I'm using CRT Emudriver & CRT Tools 2.0 beta 15 (Crimson 16.2.1 non-GCN* cards)
Also tried the CRT Emudriver & CRT Tools 2.0 beta 15 (Catalyst 12.6), with same problem.

Can the DEP (Data Execution Prevention) be the cause of this freezing?

myconsolegame

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 07, 2019, 07:12:05 am
Is there a plan to update to Adrenalin 19.3.3 for GPU  AMD radeon Vii ?

raibol1

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 29, 2019, 03:57:37 pm
Hallo,

Iīm also interested in buying this barebone with a AMD Ryzen 2400G.
Iīve seen on the asrock Homepage, that for Bios 3.2 and 3.4 there is a Graphic Driver with VGA AIO Version 18.50.16.01 upwards necessary.
The latest CRT-Emudriver is based on 18.5.1, so maybe this is the reason for not funtioning on the VGA Port.
(Maybe calamity can release a newer verion  ;) ?

Greets

Rainer

Calamity

• Offline Offline
  • Quote me with care
Honestly, I don't see anyone here using the new GPUs supported by latest Emudriver release, which took me months to get done, so I have other priorities right now.

The VGA not working as expected is due to AMD's design, as explained in the A300 thread.
Steps to create a log:

myconsolegame

• Offline Offline
my pc Set
I use AMD Ryzen 2400G + ASROCK A320M-HDV
VGA port on MB work with crt emudriver 2.0 b.15

Computer that I have used before
I want to provide information to consider using it.

2400G + B450 (with display to VGA) = Work
2400G + ASROCK A320M-HDV  (VGA port )  = Work
intel MB + R9 380 OC  (VGA port )  = Work
intel MB + R9 390X (with display to VGA) = Work
intel MB + Vega56 (with display to VGA) = Work

and MB + CPU on board AMD
Bio star A10N-8800E (VGA port )  = Work (very Cheap work well)
Bio star A68N-5600 VGA port )  = Work

Hallo,

Iīm also interested in buying this barebone with a AMD Ryzen 2400G.
Iīve seen on the asrock Homepage, that for Bios 3.2 and 3.4 there is a Graphic Driver with VGA AIO Version 18.50.16.01 upwards necessary.
The latest CRT-Emudriver is based on 18.5.1, so maybe this is the reason for not funtioning on the VGA Port.
(Maybe calamity can release a newer verion  ;) ?

Greets

Rainer

ghost13500

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 10, 2023, 02:17:32 am
my pc Set
[/quote]

Hi, what is your bios version for this motherboard ?
Windows 10 or 7 ?

I've also this mobo with 5.50 bios, Crt emudriver 2.0 b15, Windows 10 and a A12-9800E processor.
Vga no work for me (and like Calamity say, VGA implementation is a bit messy on this mobo )

In VMmaker, EDID emulation (Video card Tab) list only "Digital 3-HDMI-A" and "Digital 4-HDMI-A". No VGA :/
« Last Edit: April 27, 2019, 03:11:56 am by ghost13500 »

myconsolegame

• Offline Offline
my pc Set

Hi, what is your bios version for this motherboard ?
Windows 10 or 7 ?

I've also this mobo with 5.50 bios, Crt emudriver 2.0 b15, Windows 10 and a A12-9800E processor.
Vga no work for me (and like Calamity say, VGA implementation is a bit messy on this mobo )

In VMmaker, EDID emulation (Video card Tab) list only "Digital 3-HDMI-A" and "Digital 4-HDMI-A". No VGA :/
[/quote]

Bios 4.80
Win 10
this my DIY

ghost13500

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 10, 2023, 02:17:32 am
Nice !

PC JAMMA adaptator ? :)

Ok I don't understand why VGA don't work on my config if it's ok for you  :banghead:
I'am not sure to be able to downgrade bios 5.50 to 4.80 for test

What is your CRTemudriver version ? :
 - CRT Emudriver & CRT Tools 2.0 beta 15 (Adrenalin 18.5.1 for GCN* cards) for Windows 10 64-bits ?
 - or CRT Emudriver & CRT Tools 2.0 beta 15 (Crimson 16.2.1 for GCN* cards) for Windows 7/8/10 64-bits ?

In VMmaker, EDID emulation (Video card Tab), do you see VGA in the list or only HDMI ?

myconsolegame

• Offline Offline
Nice !

PC JAMMA adaptator ? :)

Ok I don't understand why VGA don't work on my config if it's ok for you  :banghead:
I'am not sure to be able to downgrade bios 5.50 to 4.80 for test

What is your CRTemudriver version ? :
 - CRT Emudriver & CRT Tools 2.0 beta 15 (Adrenalin 18.5.1 for GCN* cards) for Windows 10 64-bits ?
 - or CRT Emudriver & CRT Tools 2.0 beta 15 (Crimson 16.2.1 for GCN* cards) for Windows 7/8/10 64-bits ?

In VMmaker, EDID emulation (Video card Tab), do you see VGA in the list or only HDMI ?

Yes . I use this version

On my PC Show 4 list

repetto74

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 18, 2020, 02:10:00 pm
Hi,

I have no other choice but to install a CRT TV into my cab due to my previous arcade monitor having failed with no chances for recovery. I have picked up here in Europe a JVC 21 inch 50hz (PAL?) TV set from around 2000 which gives a very nice picture.
The specs of my hardware are as is :
Win XP
Arcade VGA based on Radeon 9200 (old model)
Groovymame 1.48 (I did not upgrade as I am fine with this version)
Crt emudriver and Vmmaker 1.2c (what is reffered to as "obsolete drivers" but working with XP)
With my previous arcade monitor everything was working perfect and I could just display both horizontal and vertical games on the horizontal monitor (a minor tweak of the Vsize was done to fit vertical games with a very limited top/bottom black band on horizontal games.)

I did not touch any of the settings done in the VMmaker.ini file and tried on the fly the TV set but the result on vertical games is not good and most of the bottom and top part of the video are missing. I tried to play with the options of the TV service menų but that will not shrink the vertical image (just move the whole raster till the 3 red,green,blue lines pop up.) Also many vertical games have the bottom part completely messed up.
These are the specs used with my previous monitor
monitor_specs0 15625-16200, 49.50-65.00, 2.000, 4.700, 8.000, 0.064, 0.192, 1.024, 0, 0, 256, 448

I tried the PAL preset but got the desktop completely scrambled and was a pain to go back to my previous settings.

What could be the good presets to use for this tv set? Also can I use the CRT Tools 2.0 or are these not compatible with the obsolete drivers?
I have attached a copy of the ini file in case. (please note that two presets are recorded because my previous monitor was a dual 15/24 khz. Any help is greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Rick

rancid

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 15, 2022, 08:35:42 am
Anyone using Emudriver with a newer rx580?  I am interested in giving the newer cards a shot since older hardware is becoming harder to find for a decent price and allows for using more advanced gpu-based emus.  I have several HDMI adapters already purchased and will report my findings once I get a card.

myconsolegame

• Offline Offline
Anyone using Emudriver with a newer rx580?  I am interested in giving the newer cards a shot since older hardware is becoming harder to find for a decent price and allows for using more advanced gpu-based emus.  I have several HDMI adapters already purchased and will report my findings once I get a card.

yes I use it with Ugreen 20406 DisplayPort DP Male to VGA Female Adapter

dapsaille

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 13, 2019, 01:31:26 am
Hi, a big thumbs up for the latest driver  :applaud: :applaud: :applaud: :applaud:

I'm super excited, i'm waiting for my hdmi to vga active adapter to finish my mini itx ryzen box  ;)

Calamity

• Offline Offline
  • Quote me with care
Hi, a big thumbs up for the latest driver  :applaud: :applaud: :applaud: :applaud:

I'm super excited, i'm waiting for my hdmi to vga active adapter to finish my mini itx ryzen box  ;)

Hi dapsaille,

If you're using a Ryzen APU in your build, I'm afraid it won't work. I've just received mine and I'm trying to add support to 2200G/2400G APUs, but it looks like it won't be easy.
Steps to create a log:

dapsaille

• Offline Offline
damn :x

I's a 2200G, my fault, i didn't read the whole topic  :'(

Anyway, i'm pretty sure you will find a way to make this apu work, and with your work we will be able to have the Ultimate Ultra Massive Mini Itx 15Khz Box ™  :notworthy:

EDIT:  i've just tryed the 2.0 b15 18.5 with win10x64 and i get "Reject by driver" in vmmaker when i want ton install modelines, you probably know already that  ;D
« Last Edit: July 09, 2019, 06:20:56 am by dapsaille »

dapsaille

• Offline Offline
Does someone have the name of a working hdmi to  vga adapter ?
I have two of them but they don't work, i cannot get a signal on my hantarex polostar ... :notworthy:

Banane

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 20, 2022, 10:51:29 am
sorry, to ask, Iīm following this thread and I donīt want to highjack it. But if you were me and you had the money, what hardware would you get in september 2019?
miniATX ist definately a must go, but if the support for a internal GPU is just not there yet I'd go with an external one.

what is the ultimative mini atx setup right now ? Which board? Whatīs the most stable and powerfull cpu (I see itīs not a ryzen)?  :)

edit: excuse me, I should have read first. I just ordered a Ryzen 2400G  / A320M-HDV combo for testing ...

« Last Edit: September 24, 2019, 10:19:28 am by Banane »

Calamity

• Offline Offline
  • Quote me with care
Our site is currently down. Please use this link if you need to download CRT Emudriver:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B5iMjDor3P__OGVGNmR1dzhiZms
Steps to create a log:

stiegi

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 13, 2020, 04:23:44 pm
  • We learn from experience.
Hello Calamity!

When will the official site for crt emudriver 2.0 be fine again?

regards

Recapnation

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 01, 2023, 07:39:55 pm
    • Eiusdemmodi
Back again, for the time being.

edomatic

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 08, 2023, 12:09:10 pm
guys i have some trouble with ArcadeOSD and need some help , i attached some screenshots, one of them shows the issue (where you see attract mode)

I am trying to move the desktop resolution (640x480p) that has been shifted to the right with it but it does not do anything?
I selected a different desktop res to make sure i was doing it correctly

Arcade OSD does change the horizontal geometry of the other (super) resolutions just fine but, not the 640x480 one for some reason
I am using a Radeon 5450 card with robotron 666 chassis (i selected this in Vmmaker and did the modeline generation line this, i have about 15modelines now in windows)

When i select a game it launches ok most of them launch ok, the super resolutions do center mostly correct
i attached some screens of the ArcadeOSD settings ...i  really dont understand why the super resolutions are able to modify the horizonal geometry placement but these 640x480p does not

Hopefully someone here can help or perhaps had same issue?

edomatic

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 08, 2023, 12:09:10 pm
Sorry i Forgot to say i am using latest groovymame 0.217