Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: New CRT Emudriver/VMMaker/Arcade OSD download, documentation and discussion site  (Read 199040 times)

spacorn

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 29, 2022, 10:46:45 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Thanks Calamity! I am just getting into this subject and have successfully built a CRT TV setup all thanks to your drivers!  :applaud:

I recently had the chance to upgrade from a Radeon R5 230 to a R7 240, and moved from beta 10 (non-GCN) to the recently released beta 12 (now on a GCN card). Unfortunately, my TV isn't doing too good without the flicker filter on interlaced resolutions...

You mentioned "you can keep using the old drivers with the updated tools", and that's what I'd like to try next, but I can't find the beta 10 files anymore  :-\ ... (I did keep the beta 10 non-GCN installer I used for my previous card, but the new one is GCN)

Is there an official archive of previous versions? If there isn't, if someone has the beta 10 installer for GCN cards, please share it with me!

Calamity

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 14, 2024, 05:26:05 am
  • Quote me with care
Is there an official archive of previous versions? If there isn't, if someone has the beta 10 installer for GCN cards, please share it with me!

You can get beta 10 here:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B5iMjDor3P__OGVGNmR1dzhiZms
Important note: posts reporting GM issues without a log will be IGNORED.
Steps to create a log:
 - From command line, run: groovymame.exe -v romname >romname.txt
 - Attach resulting romname.txt file to your post, instead of pasting it.

CRT Emudriver, VMMaker & Arcade OSD downloads, documentation and discussion:  Eiusdemmodi

spacorn

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 29, 2022, 10:46:45 am
I figured there would be something like that, thank you so much!  ;D

WeBeGaming

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 25, 2018, 02:36:44 pm
I have an AMD FirePro m5100 GPU in one of my old laptops. Is it possible to use CRT Emudriver with the GPU? If so which driver do I download. I dont see anything about this card.

Thank you

Calamity

• Offline Offline
  • Quote me with care
I have an AMD FirePro m5100 GPU in one of my old laptops. Is it possible to use CRT Emudriver with the GPU? If so which driver do I download. I dont see anything about this card.

Thank you

Those cards have specific drivers provided by the laptop manufacturer (Dell, HP, etc.). I'd say the mainstream AMD driver should work, provided the pci identifier is included in the driver's .inf (not trivial task of editing it, .inf files need to be digitally signed). You may try your luck with version based on 16.2.1 for GCN cards. Run the setup program, and if the card is recognized with whatever name chances are it will work. Of course I'm assuming it's Windows 7 or newer.
Steps to create a log:

CRT Emudriver, VMMaker & Arcade OSD downloads, documentation and discussion:  Eiusdemmodi

WeBeGaming

• Offline Offline

Thank you

Those cards have specific drivers provided by the laptop manufacturer (Dell, HP, etc.). I'd say the mainstream AMD driver should work, provided the pci identifier is included in the driver's .inf (not trivial task of editing it, .inf files need to be digitally signed). You may try your luck with version based on 16.2.1 for GCN cards. Run the setup program, and if the card is recognized with whatever name chances are it will work. Of course I'm assuming it's Windows 7 or newer.

ok so I downloaded 16.2.1 for gnc cards as recommended. The setup found my firepro card and displayed name correctly as AMD FirePro M5100 FireGL V. Installation was a successful. After installation the uninstall screen now shows it as a AMD Radeon R9 M200X Seriers (CRT Emudriver). When I open vmmaker it shows DISPLAY1 - Intel(R) HD Graphics 4600 - Generic PnP Monitor as enabled and says no compatible driver found. Does this require me do edit the .inf file as mentioned above. If so which file do I edit and what do I add to it

Thanks again for the help

Sledge

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 25, 2022, 05:22:55 am
Don't know if it will help, but can you disable the Intel GPU and try again?
There might also be a way to get VMM to 'target' the correct GPU also, but i'm unsure of how... but personally i'd disable the intel

WeBeGaming

• Offline Offline
Don't know if it will help, but can you disable the Intel GPU and try again?
There might also be a way to get VMM to 'target' the correct GPU also, but i'm unsure of how... but personally i'd disable the intel
Thank you for advice I disabled the intel GPU and now its showing the correct GPU enabled. Now when i try to install new modes for 15khz I get Reject by driver error and when I open arcade_osd it does not show the 15khz options I need. Any ideas on how to fix

Thanks again

wpcmame

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 18, 2024, 01:27:00 pm
Sorry if this has been answered before. Tried to search but couldn't find anything.

I recently rebuilt my arcade PC. I use the EMU-driver with windows 10 and an AMD 6xxx.

It works fine but after a couple of days I got a BSOD on startup.  I got it working again by:
Starting in safe mode
Reinstalling the driver
Restart
Add modes with VMMaker again.

Today it happened again but this time I can't get it to work. I get "rejected by driver" when I try to add modes whatever I do.

My guess is that windows replaces the driver somehow. VMMaker says "emudriver" (how does it detect that? registry) but device manager says all driver files are signed by windows.

Is there a definite way to prevent windows/windows update etc from messing with the display driver?

Calamity

• Offline Offline
  • Quote me with care
It works fine but after a couple of days I got a BSOD on startup.

A BSOD on startup may happen for several reasons:

- A genuine bug in the driver (probably caused by the patch). Unlikely, otherwise it would have crashed before.
- Test mode turned off with patched drivers. This is typical of Windows 10, so I think this is probably the issue.

So, do you think it's possible that test mode might have been turned off by you accidentaly or by the OS itself? Has the OS applied any updates in between?

Regardless, when Windows 10 registers a BSOD on a device driver, it automatically disables it and installs a previous driver that is known to work if it finds one in its driver store. I don't know if this behaviour can be disabled, but what I'd try is to uninstall all drivers associated with the gpu, one by one, from the device manager, until the Windows does not recognize the card at all. Then install CRT Emudriver.
Steps to create a log:

buttersoft

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 22, 2024, 12:55:20 am
  • Is running at 15kHz
Hi Calamity,

I've been watching some of these updates, and the ability to add composite sync in VMM is awesome!

However, i'm worried about the inability to turn the flicker filter back on. If this is something that can be added as an option to VMM as well, would you consider doing so? I prefer the filter to be on, it works really well with older 3D driving games like model 2. And the filter is awesome for frontends, because video shrunk below 240p looks awful :)

Thanks for reading :)
« Last Edit: January 21, 2018, 07:29:52 pm by buttersoft »

R-Typer

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 03:23:50 pm
  • C64 Rulez!!!!
I would also like to see an option to select flicker either on or off. I just cant stand the flicker flickering on me just as I gotten used to flicker free picture.

krick

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 08, 2023, 08:30:27 pm
  • Gotta have blue hair.
If the flicker filter is something that can't be turned on/off, then I don't think it's a big deal to offer two versions of the drivers.
Hantarex Polo 15KHz
Sapphire Radeon HD 7750 2GB (GCN)
GroovyMAME 0.197.017h_d3d9ex
CRT Emudriver & CRT Tools 2.0 beta 13 (Crimson 16.2.1 for GCN cards)
Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
Intel Core i7-4790K @ 4.8GHz
ASUS Z87M-PLUS Motherboard

buttersoft

• Offline Offline
  • Is running at 15kHz
If the flicker filter is something that can't be turned on/off, then I don't think it's a big deal to offer two versions of the drivers.

Well, you may be right, but given the heading that update came under, maybe not. Either way we're not the ones doing the work. So let's ask nicely and see what happens :)

Paradroid

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 10, 2024, 04:41:43 am
    • SCART Hunter
So let's ask nicely and see what happens :)

Hehe... and remember that some of us despise that dinky filter and rejoiced when our authentic interlace flicker was returned to us. ;)

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

My MAME/SCART/CRT blog: SCART Hunter

buttersoft

• Offline Offline
  • Is running at 15kHz
So let's ask nicely and see what happens :)

Hehe... and remember that some of us despise that dinky filter and rejoiced when our authentic interlace flicker was returned to us. ;)

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Whinger!

Oh wait, i'm one now too.

jst kidding -  I realise there are people out there on both sides of this one. Which is why i'm asking for it to be an option, that would be perfect.

Kabuji74

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 16, 2024, 01:20:29 pm
Hi,
I hope it is the good place to post my pb.
I tried to run spectrum games with groovymame 0.193 and it seems that it cannot switch to a proper resolution. I have the message : 'Unable to to create the Direct3D device (8876086C)' message that is printed again and again in the console.
I tried to add asked modeline (352x296@50.080128) with VMMAKER but I can't. The modeline is never created...
I have the same pb with Thomson MO5 emulation with the modeline 864x294.
All my other systems work well including Amstrad CPC.
I don't know what to do now, is anybody have an idea please ?!

buttersoft

• Offline Offline
  • Is running at 15kHz
I tried to add asked modeline (352x296@50.080128) with VMMAKER but I can't. The modeline is never created...

At a guess, your progressivelinesmax variable is not high enough. Take a look at the monitor presets sticky - http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,116023.0.html - then open your mame.ini and find the crt_range0 line which will look something like the below. This line defines the range limits, so if the highlighted number in your line is under 296, the modeline you are trying to create falls outside the range you've told VMM to work with.

crt_range0  15625-16200, 49.50-65.00, 2.000, 4.700, 8.000, 0.064, 0.192, 1.024, 0, 0, 192, 288, 448, 576

And yes, wrong place to post this. A new thread in the main list would have been fine :)

Kabuji74

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 16, 2024, 01:20:29 pm
Oh sorry for my mistake. I will create a new thread so because I still have the error even if my modelines are now well created.
Thank you for the reply ;-)

josete2k

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 16, 2024, 10:54:41 pm
Hi, sorry for a silly stupid question...

I've reverted back to XP because the lightguns capability (Gcon2). But I don't know how I can enable magic resolutions.

I've teste with oder crt tools (change the ini table) and all I get are out of sync resolutions.

I can get super res from W7 just following the thread (with user-super.ini in vmmaker 2.0) but... is there any "user-magic.ini" for XP users?

And another question about resolutions with lightgun games:

Even I have the mouse working perfect in Windows desktop the mouse/lightgun signal is about 2x (horizontal) when SwitchRes change the screen resolution. So when I move the gun from let to the right, the cross pointer is on the right but the gun is still pointing to the center.

I have set sensibilty to 1 in both X and Y axis...

Can I make SwitchRe keep the desktop resolution for lightgun games?

Thanks in advance.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2018, 05:07:18 am by josete2k »

Calamity

• Offline Offline
  • Quote me with care
Some updates:

Windows Interlace Patcher 1.1

- v1.1 - March 2018
      - Added binaries 6.1.7600.16748, 6.1.7601.18126 (Ian Gander, Sean Skroht, Jesús García)

[07/03/2018][CRT Emudriver 2.0][CRT Tools 2.0][beta 13]

- [VMMaker]    Fix composite sync for HD 5000+ cards.
Steps to create a log:

keropi

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 28, 2022, 11:06:35 am
^ excellent thanks for the updates Calamity!

Paradroid

• Offline Offline
    • SCART Hunter
Fix composite sync for HD 5000+ cards.

I still haven't had a chance to test out the new C-sync features but I'm hoping to try an new TV RGB-mod interface circuit this weekend so good timing! Thanks! :)

krick

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 08, 2023, 08:30:27 pm
  • Gotta have blue hair.
I have a standard-res 15KHz arcade monitor (Hantarex Polo) in my arcade cabinet.
My video card is a Radeon HD 7750 (GCN)

I just installed the latest version of CRT Emudriver...

CRT Emudriver & CRT Tools 2.0 beta 13

...and I noticed that in Windows at 640x480 interlaced text is FAR more legible.

I used to have an older version of CRT Emudriver...

CRT Emudriver & CRT Tools 2.0 beta 8

If the change in text legibility with the latest drivers is due to the flicker filter being disabled, then put me in the anti flicker filter camp.  Wow.  The difference is shocking.

Also, reading the release notes raises some questions...   What is composite sync and should I investigate further?  Is this something that will improve my setup?
Hantarex Polo 15KHz
Sapphire Radeon HD 7750 2GB (GCN)
GroovyMAME 0.197.017h_d3d9ex
CRT Emudriver & CRT Tools 2.0 beta 13 (Crimson 16.2.1 for GCN cards)
Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
Intel Core i7-4790K @ 4.8GHz
ASUS Z87M-PLUS Motherboard

haynor666

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 04, 2024, 03:20:27 am
  • retro maniac
I was all time against interlace filtering. Many games like in mcr3, mcr68 drivers looks bad with filter enabled. Also text in frontends, windows as blurry but that personally never worries me, after all You don't read too much on CRT.

The only pros were 3D games from Taito Type X hardware. Filter actually removed some sharp edges and caused vertical scrolling to be more smooth.

I think composite setup is only for those people that don't have UMSA or any other hardware that produces composite signal for CRT monitor/TV. With such option You have to wire VGA/DSub to SCART and that's it. Look at 5.2 - https://digilander.libero.it/venturi1975/index.html
« Last Edit: June 24, 2018, 06:29:30 am by haynor666 »

wolfsoft

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 10, 2023, 07:54:14 am
I am playing with crt_emudriver and windows 7 pro (all updates)
On Win 7 Pro I tried with VMMaker (crt_emudriver_&_tools_2.0_beta_13_12.6_W.7.8.10-64)
 to generate the modlines from groovymame 0197 d3d Version.
The mame xml was generated and durring import the modlines the programm is hanging and ending.
I tried it with official build of mame0197 64bit too and with vmmaker beta 12 same result vmmaker is hanging up.

Any hints?

http://www.blog.wolfsoft.de for arcade tutorials
http://www.wolfsoft.de for our website

Calamity

• Offline Offline
  • Quote me with care
I am playing with crt_emudriver and windows 7 pro (all updates)
On Win 7 Pro I tried with VMMaker (crt_emudriver_&_tools_2.0_beta_13_12.6_W.7.8.10-64)
 to generate the modlines from groovymame 0197 d3d Version.
The mame xml was generated and durring import the modlines the programm is hanging and ending.
I tried it with official build of mame0197 64bit too and with vmmaker beta 12 same result vmmaker is hanging up.

Any hints?

That could be MAME's exponential system list growth overflowing poor old VMMaker. I'll have a look at it. Anyway, you don't need to list from xml, nobody does that these days, just use super resolutions.
Steps to create a log:

neogetter

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 19, 2018, 04:09:27 am
Monitor Flickering!!
« Reply #227 on: July 31, 2018, 07:56:07 am »
Good morning all, i'm so desperate about this problem, when i use only 1 monitor (CRT in this case), after load some games, it starts to flickering, and after few seconds it go crazy! this not happend if i extend the monitors, and if i use anyway the CRT as primary everything it's ok, i link my video who demonstrates the problem.

i'm on windows 10 x64 with HD7950

thanks a lot

neogetter

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 19, 2018, 04:09:27 am
hello everyone!

i just tried to install all the previous drivers, all the betas for crimson 16 and 12...nothing, the problem persists, i'm gonna install windows 7 home x64 instead of Win 10.
Win 10 can be the problem?

thanks

Recapnation

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 01, 2023, 07:39:55 pm
    • Eiusdemmodi
Hi,

Eiusdemmodi should work normally again, including automatic registration. (Not sure how long this feature will last, though.)

Calamity

• Offline Offline
  • Quote me with care
Great news! Recapnation, thanks for your work.
Steps to create a log:

Recapnation

• Offline Offline
    • Eiusdemmodi
It's mostly Marshall's work this time, though. Some things still to polish here and there.

Paradroid

• Offline Offline
    • SCART Hunter
Some things still to polish here and there.

No luck with password retrieval here...

Recapnation

• Offline Offline
    • Eiusdemmodi
Hum. Seems to work for me. Please, try it once again and if it doesn't respond, send me a line to postbackweb [@[ yahoo [.] com so that we can change the password manually.

lemmon

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 29, 2018, 03:37:46 pm
Hello, I've just bought a AMD Radeon R9 Fury card that is suposed to be compatible with CRT_emudriver... but it has no analog output... only one HDMI, one DVI-D and several Display Ports.

Can I use a "Display Port to VGA" or "Display Port to DVI-I" adaptor to work with CRT_emudriver???
Or it has to be a native analog output???

Thanks.

Calamity

• Offline Offline
  • Quote me with care
Can I use a "Display Port to VGA" or "Display Port to DVI-I" adaptor to work with CRT_emudriver???
Or it has to be a native analog output???

A DP->VGA active adapter should work. But nobody has tested it yet with CRT Emudriver as far as I know. Make sure it's a simple digital to analog conversion (no scaling).
Steps to create a log:

lemmon

• Offline Offline

Calamity

• Offline Offline
  • Quote me with care
Steps to create a log:

lemmon

• Offline Offline
Do you mean something like this one?

https://www.amazon.es/Rankie-Adaptador-DisplayPort-1080P-Negro/dp/B00Z08TZNU/ref=pd_lpo_vtph_23_tr_t_2?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=AZZ899QGBBV3RGGEH5ER

Yes, that one apparently does no scaling, but the only way to make sure is to try it out.

Thanks for your support Calamity... I'm going to buy one of those and will give you feedback.

lemmon

• Offline Offline
Hi again, I bought the adaptor and have been trying to make it work without success.

I've installed the last version of CRT Emudriver (http://geedorah.com/eiusdemmodi/forum/misc.php?action=redirect&pid=1009&to=https://drive.google.com/open?id=1HYtmxr_Bla3RtVww4lXDVbe7plvHKO2S).

When I try to enable EDID emulation on VMMaker, my TFT 31khz standard PC monitor doesn't go out of sync...

The card has three DP outputs. I've tried all of them.
I also disabled mainboard onboard GPU.

I allways get the same result:

After rebooting my PC, first time I open WMMaker it looks like this (6 Displays detected)

Two analog outputs are detected

When I enable EDID emulation the screen goes black and after 1 or 2 seconds it returns to desktop and shows this dialog

After that it returns to the WMMaker interface but this time the Displays looks like this

As you can see Displays numbers has increased. At this time if I disable EDID emulation display's numbers goes even higher

And It contunues to happen until I reboot my PC. I open WMMaker and display's numbers are set again like in the begining...

I've tried all combinations of analog outputs (0 and 1) swaping through the three DP's but can't get a 15Khz signal output...

Any suggestion??