Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: New CRT Emudriver/VMMaker/Arcade OSD download, documentation and discussion site  (Read 199004 times)

Calamity

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 14, 2024, 05:26:05 am
  • Quote me with care
Is arcade15 good enough?
Should i worry about trying to use MS929?

You can probably stick to arcade_15 if you're anyway removing upper ranges. You should be getting a normal desktop with ms929 anyway. All what matters is the resolution that ends up being applied to the desktop.
Which i can't actually see what it is as it's too squished, so ok, i'll stick to arcade15

But what settings do i use for a vertical screen?

There's always a way. Arcade OSD will tell you.

iRotate is not needed anymore, you can set portrait mode directly from Windows screen options. Please understand that saying "things go bad" is a bit too unspecific.

(if you're going to rotate your desktop, make sure the correct check is applied in VMMaker dialog)

Important note: posts reporting GM issues without a log will be IGNORED.
Steps to create a log:
 - From command line, run: groovymame.exe -v romname >romname.txt
 - Attach resulting romname.txt file to your post, instead of pasting it.

CRT Emudriver, VMMaker & Arcade OSD downloads, documentation and discussion:  Eiusdemmodi

lettuce

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 31, 2021, 01:46:10 pm
  • Make It So!
Wow. so does that mean Radeon R9 series graphics card are now supported? Cool!

Yep. Using one here right now.

Is there any downside to using a more recent card than an older one?. I know a few years back the older cards could support lower resolutions than more recent cards is that still the case?

Sledge

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 25, 2022, 05:22:55 am
Is arcade15 good enough?
Should i worry about trying to use MS929?

You can probably stick to arcade_15 if you're anyway removing upper ranges. You should be getting a normal desktop with ms929 anyway. All what matters is the resolution that ends up being applied to the desktop.
Which i can't actually see what it is as it's too squished, so ok, i'll stick to arcade15

But what settings do i use for a vertical screen?
Please understand that saying "things go bad" is a bit too unspecific.

(if you're going to rotate your desktop, make sure the correct check is applied in VMMaker dialog)
Well.. do we still use super resolutions for a vertical screen?
When i do that VMM only creates 3 modes, all of which are interlaced..
http://puu.sh/u9Dtw/b38fe71998.jpg
http://puu.sh/u9E0R/29a6e0d1f4.jpg
http://puu.sh/u9E8D/bf110e90fe.jpg

Calamity

• Offline Offline
  • Quote me with care

Yes, super resolutions work for the vertical case. But you need to specify your monitor as "rotating to the right" or "rotating to the left". Also, don't forget to mark: "Desktop rotates too".
Steps to create a log:

CRT Emudriver, VMMaker & Arcade OSD downloads, documentation and discussion:  Eiusdemmodi

Sledge

• Offline Offline

Yes, super resolutions work for the vertical case. But you need to specify your monitor as "rotating to the right" or "rotating to the left". Also, don't forget to mark: "Desktop rotates too".
Ok, all sorted then..
So what's 'vertical fixed' for then? (i was choosing that as i never rotate my screen)
« Last Edit: February 20, 2017, 04:40:16 am by Sledge »

Calamity

• Offline Offline
  • Quote me with care
So what's 'vertical fixed' for then?

Well, that one assumes you're also going to play horizontal games on a vertical monitor, and so it processes the horizontal resolutions into vertical ones with the correct aspect ratio (the icons in VMMaker attempt to illustrate this). No one that I know actually runs horizontal games in that way (i.e. if you have a vertically mounted monitor it's because your arcade is dedicated to vertical games).
Steps to create a log:

cools

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 11, 2024, 02:59:06 pm
  • Arcade Otaku Sysadmin
    • Arcade Otaku
Can't log in to Eiusemmodi at the moment but have some feedback on CRT_Emudriver 2.0 b9 (Cat 12.6). I had a hugely frustrating part where one monitor was extended and the other not, and I see now why this is the case from the instructions http://geedorah.com/eiusdemmodi/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=1016#p1016

I plugged my starter monitor in on the VGA port of my card, not on the DVI. Do that and you end up in an awkward position immediately after the driver is installed, especially if you enable super resolutions from the start.

I was able to get around it with some judacious use of Safe Mode but it was a big pain. Might be worth adding a note in somewhere early/close to the download link saying the installation process is entirely different from CRT_Emudriver 1 and you MUST read the instructions thoroughly/follow them exactly.

Other than that all has worked perfectly, configuration extremely easy. Extremely impressed.

Calamity

• Offline Offline
  • Quote me with care
Hi cools,

Thanks for your comments and sorry for the time lost, I guess I'll need to clarify things in the download thread.

For W7+ anyway I like to recommend an HD5000+ card because things get significantly easier thanks to EDID emulation.
Steps to create a log:

cools

• Offline Offline
  • Arcade Otaku Sysadmin
    • Arcade Otaku
To eBay with me! Quest for 5450!

(My own fault for not reading instructions of course, but with v1 never giving me a jot of trouble that I didn't explicitly ask for I didn't give looking at instructions a second thought :) )

Doozer

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 12, 2023, 09:19:49 am
  • Z80 ERROR

(My own fault for not reading instructions of course, but with v1 never giving me a jot of trouble that I didn't explicitly ask for I didn't give looking at instructions a second thought :) )

Hi Cools,

I have several 5450 and I am happy with them, nevertheless the number does not mean a lot with respect to the GPU generation and feature. (see on wikipedia https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radeon#Radeon_HD5000_.282009-2010.29). I have also 6450, 7450 and 8990 cards that borrow the same design and GPU.

It was mentioned that the picture is looking blurry with models starting from 5xxx. Do people know exactly which GPU are affected?

Calamity

• Offline Offline
  • Quote me with care
It was mentioned that the picture is looking blurry with models starting from 5xxx. Do people know exactly which GPU are affected?

Please guys, if you feel some sympathy for the project, I beg you not to keep spreading this misinformation.

The picture with 5000+ gpus is perfect. The so called blurriness is a bilinear filter that's applied by default to interlaced modes to reduce flicker. It doesn't affect progressive modes. Ironically I've been adding bilinear filtering to interlaced modes in GM since the first day. Now it's done by default by the gpu.

By comparison, pre-HD5000 cards are a real pain to deal with in W7: they require GM to run in admin mode, interlaced modes run at halved refresh, they can't cope with super resolutions really well, lots of monitor detection issues that suck.. A lot of crap that's infinitely worse than an innocent filter on interlaced modes.

Now looking behind, i believe that if I had focused since the beginnig  on adding support to HD 5000+ cards instead of legacy ones on W7, the transition to W7 would have been easier.

By the way, prefer the 6450 to the 5450. Although it has a single analog output, it handles super resolutions better.
Steps to create a log:

Doozer

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 12, 2023, 09:19:49 am
  • Z80 ERROR
The picture with 5000+ gpus is perfect. The so called blurriness is a bilinear filter that's applied by default to interlaced modes to reduce flicker. It doesn't affect progressive modes. Ironically I've been adding bilinear filtering to interlaced modes in GM since the first day. Now it's done by default by the gpu.

Ha Ha, that's the reason why I have never experienced such picture degradation. Thanks for the clarification. Hope we will see no gossip anymore on that subject.

cools

• Offline Offline
  • Arcade Otaku Sysadmin
    • Arcade Otaku
By the way, prefer the 6450 to the 5450. Although it has a single analog output, it handles super resolutions better.

You know you're going to need to elaborate on that?  ;D

(New sticky, "Calamitys favourite card")

Sledge

• Offline Offline
I found it easier/cheaper to just get a slower current/newer gen card..
I got an R5 230 (brand new with warranty).. works a treat and cost the same as the old cards

Calamity

• Offline Offline
  • Quote me with care
You know you're going to need to elaborate on that?  ;D

(New sticky, "Calamitys favourite card")

Well in my experience the HD 5450 that I've tried (Asus 1 GB) has a problem with "high" vertical super resolutions (e.g. 2560x480): it will show a black frame from time to time making the picture flash. On the other hand my HD 6450 (Asus too) is 100% solid on this regard.

The issue is easily avoidable anyway, by simply not using "high" vertical super resolutions. Indeed, my current setups just use a few progressive super resolutions, and additionally some standard 4:3 interlaced modes, e.g.:

2560x240
2560x248
2560x256
  640x480
  664x496
  688x512

"High" vertical super resolutions are overkill anyway unless you have a serious GPU. The idea here is that the GPU should be able to process all scaling required within the vblank period, so you don't get tearing when using "manual" vsync (frame delay).
Steps to create a log:

cools

• Offline Offline
  • Arcade Otaku Sysadmin
    • Arcade Otaku
Understood, it's a capability thing. FWIW my Asus and XFX 4350s have no problem doing 2560x480 or even 2560x512 for hours.

Slider1385

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 21, 2021, 06:17:54 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Has anyone ever experienced ArcadeOSD crashing when it goes to switch resolutions?  Groovymame will switch resolutions fine, but when I go into ArcadeOSD to adjust the sizes it crashes everytime.  I'm using Windows 7 with a HD6670 and the latest versions of the drivers/VMM Maker/ArcadeOSD.

It goes to switch resolutions and pops up "ArcadeOSD has encountered an error and needs to close".  Any ideas?  Most of the resolutions don't need adjusted except for a few vertical shooters and the midway games (mk and NBA jam that i'm worried about).

Thanks!!

Calamity

• Offline Offline
  • Quote me with care
New beta 10

[03/03/2017][CRT Emudriver 2.0][CRT Tools 2.0][beta 10]

- [VMMaker]    Added option to include multiple modelines in emulated EDID. When enabled, the current modelist is added to the EDID definition (maximum of 20 modes supported). If disabled, only a 640x480 modeline will be included, as usual.

- [VMMaker]    Fixed bug that caused newer video cards to be incorrectly detected as legacy ones.

Steps to create a log:

Sledge

• Offline Offline
New beta 10

- [VMMaker]    Added option to include multiple modelines in emulated EDID. When enabled, the current modelist is added to the EDID definition (maximum of 20 modes supported). If disabled, only a 640x480 modeline will be included, as usual.

- [VMMaker]    Fixed bug that caused newer video cards to be incorrectly detected as legacy ones.
Any need to re-install if everything SEEMS to be working otherwise?

Calamity

• Offline Offline
  • Quote me with care

Not this time. Only required for newer hardware users (e.g. R9 380).
Steps to create a log:

pakoman

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 10:02:29 am
New beta 10

Great!  BTW you forget to say that this works also with standard ATI drivers :)

Sledge

• Offline Offline

Not this time. Only required for newer hardware users (e.g. R9 380).
R5-230?

Calamity

• Offline Offline
  • Quote me with care
R5-230?

No. Your card was already detected well by previous version. R9 380 wasn't.
Steps to create a log:

Kabuji74

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 16, 2024, 01:20:29 pm
Hi all. First I want to thank you for the great job around Emudrivers and Groovymame !

Then I upgraded my config from windows xp 32bits to windows 7 and installed new CRT Emudriver 2.0 beta 10 and It works pretty well but I still have problems :
- I have the halved refresh problems on both my radeon hd 4650 et hd 4850 with interlaced resolutions. I thought it was corrected in last version of crt tools but it doesn't work for me.
- It is very long when switching resolution (around 10 seconds....)

I don't know if I can do something for these problems or if I have to go back to xp until I have a newer radeon card.

My config is an athlon ii x2 250 @3.6, 4gb ram, radeon hd 4850 1gb connected to 2 Sony Trinitron (one horizontal and one vertical)/

Thank you for your help !

Calamity

• Offline Offline
  • Quote me with care
Hi Kabuji74,

How are you connecting your Trinitrons? If you're using an UMSA, then setting the polarities to positive on VMMaker/GM will fix the halved refresh problem. However, if you have a direct connection, that will cause an out of sync display.

Slow mode switching is due to having lots of modes in your mode list and more than one display. Using super resolutions will alleviate the issue, but won't fully fix it.

For Windows 7+, HD-5000+ cards are definitely recommended.
Steps to create a log:

Kabuji74

• Offline Offline
Thanks for the reply.
I connected my two trinitron with direct cables so I can't use positive vsync. I'm thinking about changing for newer radeon card but it seems than it is impossible to use only one card for two screens since there is no more than one analogic output with amd video cards (since 5000 ones ?). So next question is : for dual screens is it possible to use two video cards ? any recommandations (I'm looking at hd 6500) ?
For slow switch resolutions, vmmaker generated 120 modelines. Perhaps it is too much. I can't use only super resolutions because I use other emulators like Kega fusion and Magic Engine. It makes me think that I don't have the problem under windows xp 64bits.

Calamity

• Offline Offline
  • Quote me with care
It makes me think that I don't have the problem under windows xp 64bits.

Your cards are certainly more suited for XP 64. Why did you upgrade? Are you missing any specific emulator?

Anyway, HD 5000 cards (not 6000+) still have 2 analog outputs, usually. Starting with HD 6000 series, only one analog output exists. You can still plug two video cards if your motherboard allows it. If that's your plan, ideally use two cards of the same model.

With regards to Genesis and PC Engine, consider trying MAME for those too.
Steps to create a log:

Kabuji74

• Offline Offline
Ok I understand that I need to change my video cards if I want to go with Windows 7.
Why I want to upgrade ? Well initially my config runs under XP 32bits and I had big slow down under games like Espgaluda2 or Shienryu. I saw on forums that 64bits OS can improove cpu perfs so I decided to give them a try.
First I installed Windows 7 and I saw a huge difference with Espgaluda 2 for example
Then I tried xp 64bits, really faster than 32bits version but it seems that it is a bit slower than 7 because I still notice annoying slow downs (not really sure, what do you think about that ?)

And I still need Magic Engine and Kega fusion to run Sega et Nec CD games

Well for the moment I think I will keep my xp 64bits install et go to seven when I upgraded my hardware too.

Calamity

• Offline Offline
  • Quote me with care
ATOM-15 v1.3 released:

- v1.3 - March 2017
    - Implemented GOP reallocation for EFI bios.

This version should manage to patch most bios images where previosly it would fail with the "Hook not possible..." error.
Steps to create a log:

buttersoft

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 22, 2024, 12:55:20 am
  • Is running at 15kHz
damn, that sounded like fast work :) Either way another big thank you from all of us out here, Calamity!

b-e-n-n-y

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 06, 2017, 06:27:38 am
Greetings,

just wanted to le you know, that every download is offline at the moment!

http://aburamushi.net/calamity "The requested URL was not found on this server.".

« Last Edit: June 04, 2017, 08:33:05 am by b-e-n-n-y »

Calamity

• Offline Offline
  • Quote me with care
Thanks,

I'm trying to contact Abubu (the ftp's owner) at the moment.
Steps to create a log:

b-e-n-n-y

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 06, 2017, 06:27:38 am
Okay, thanks four your work!

Looking forward to get the Downloads, to get my RetroPC started ;-)

Rzeractor

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 06, 2017, 07:44:55 pm
Hey hey! any updates regarding the download links?
Alternatively, is it possible to host the files somewhere temporarily?
I unfortunately can't use emudriver 1.4 as I have a 7000 series card. (the only version I can find an active link to)

Regards.

Calamity

• Offline Offline
  • Quote me with care
Abubu has restored the ftp, however I can't get http access for the files yet, so links are still dead. By now, here's a Google Drive folder with the latest versions of the tools:

CRT Tools download link.

Steps to create a log:

Rzeractor

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 06, 2017, 07:44:55 pm
Thank you so much! I much appreciate your efforts! I can finally move from DOS to a windows environment.

haynor666

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 04, 2024, 03:20:27 am
  • retro maniac
Calamity, what's the difference between standard package and package with _nieg suffix?

Calamity

• Offline Offline
  • Quote me with care
Calamity, what's the difference between standard package and package with _nieg suffix?

AMD adds the "nieg" suffix to the non-GCN version of the driver, I did the same so I don't mix them up.
Steps to create a log:

ArcadeSpirit

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 01, 2017, 09:18:27 pm
I have tried for 3 days to use GM with crt-emu drivers to work on a PAL 50Hz TV. I have a Radeon 9200 Pro and I have followed and read many ways to install. I finally got something yesterday but this is all I got.

I just want to know is it possible to display groovymame with crt drivers on a 50hz PAL TV?

I have created modelines in VMM and none of them output 50hz. But the question is will my PAL 50hz TV work??

I have read and watched please I just need to know before I throw my TV out of the window or PC  ;D

XTrek

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 05, 2017, 06:54:51 pm
Hello. I'm not able to download emu crt driver 2.0 beta. If i try the googledrive link i always get this error : "The page isn’t redirecting properly Firefox has detected that the server is redirecting the request for this address in a way that will never complete."

I tried with ms live browser also, same problem. So is there a working mirror somwhere for the emu crt driver 2.0 beta files ?

thank you.