Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: New CRT Emudriver/VMMaker/Arcade OSD download, documentation and discussion site  (Read 198280 times)

keropi

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 28, 2022, 11:06:35 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
How do you people get to install the 240x160 resolution for GBA emulation?
Although it is present on the INI I load for the modelist (an INI with combined user-modes + super resolutions) it never gets installed - using latest CRT Emudriver , win7/x64 and a 6450 vga.
Is this a limitation of the card/driver?

twistedsymphony

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 03, 2024, 11:13:51 pm
  • Play stupid games... win stupid prizes.
    • solid-orange.com
    • CollectorsEdition.org
What's the deal with the official site? I went to install CRT Emu Driver on a new machine. the download page is inaccessible unless you log in. I don't currently have an account and when I click the "register" button I get a "this site is not accepting new registrations" message.

EDIT: the download sub-forum works for unregistered members, but the instruction documentation here: http://geedorah.com/eiusdemmodi/forum/viewtopic.php?id=47

links to an inaccessible forum.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2016, 01:04:53 pm by twistedsymphony »

Calamity

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 14, 2024, 05:26:05 am
  • Quote me with care
ATOM-15 v1.2

- v1.2 - September 2016
    - Detect blank space as a combination of 0x00 and 0xFF characters.
    - Reduce by 256 bytes the size required by the BIOS hook, now only 572 bytes of blank
      space are needed to patch the BIOS.
    - Fixed bug that caused wrong checksum correction in some cases.
Important note: posts reporting GM issues without a log will be IGNORED.
Steps to create a log:
 - From command line, run: groovymame.exe -v romname >romname.txt
 - Attach resulting romname.txt file to your post, instead of pasting it.

CRT Emudriver, VMMaker & Arcade OSD downloads, documentation and discussion:  Eiusdemmodi

keropi

• Offline Offline
Since I cannot register on the other forum, I am curious about what happens if you flash a card with the ATOM-15 BIOS and the motherboard has a UEFI GUI BIOS, does that still work in 15khz? or there is some fallback low-res mode ? Or it works but you need a 31khz screen?  ???

haynor666

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 04, 2024, 03:20:27 am
  • retro maniac
From Calamity forum:
U E F I   n o t e s

ATOM-15 is not guaranteed to work with UEFI bios. It may work as long as the UEFI code uses VESA modes. If this is the case, notice that probably UEFI will require the VESA mode 1024 x 768 to be available. This will be true if either the 25 or 31 kHz ranges are used.

Unfortunately 1024 x 768 is not possible for the 15 kHz range, so this mode is disabled when only the 15 kHz range is used. In this case, entering the UEFI setup will result in a black screen.

Personally I didn't test it but since most of modern motherboard has also integrated video it's not a problem. You can still access UEFI using build in video card.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2016, 01:48:32 am by haynor666 »

anchounio

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 17, 2023, 04:24:10 pm
After succesfully installing CRT Emudriver, it detects my Radeon 7870XT with the name %AMD679E.1% (no info about CRT emudriver installed). Windows 7 Device Manager detects it with that name as well.

Is this normal?
« Last Edit: September 05, 2016, 09:56:54 am by anchounio »

keropi

• Offline Offline
From Calamity forum:
U E F I   n o t e s

ATOM-15 is not guaranteed to work with UEFI bios. It may work as long as the UEFI code uses VESA modes. If this is the case, notice that probably UEFI will require the VESA mode 1024 x 768 to be available. This will be true if either the 25 or 31 kHz ranges are used.

Unfortunately 1024 x 768 is not possible for the 15 kHz range, so this mode is disabled when only the 15 kHz range is used. In this case, entering the UEFI setup will result in a black screen.

Personally I didn't test it but since most of modern motherboard has also integrated video it's not a problem. You can still access UEFI using build in video card.

I somehow missed that paragraph... thanks for the info haynor666 and for the "workaround" , it did not occur to me to just connect a small lcd monitor so the onboard gfx display BIOS in case it's needed  :)
I think I'll try and flash my 6450 now

androtaz08

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 28, 2024, 12:53:58 pm
Had everything working perfect, thought I had bricked my graphics card so I recovered and reinstalled crt driver but now my d9800 isn't syncing. Any ideas

peterson65

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 07, 2023, 09:27:12 pm
on vmmaker with crt emudriver 2.0 windows 7 x64 I have been resetting up everything and noticed whenever I run vmmaker the display number keeps going up, it says display 7 now. is there a way to delete all and start over or is it ok the way it is?
thanks

haynor666

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 04, 2024, 03:20:27 am
  • retro maniac
I have the same issue but I never bothered even mentioning it. Everything is working fine.

The only problem might be for people that targets mame to certain DISPLAY using two monitor setups.

peterson65

• Offline Offline
quick question, I completely redid my mame cabinet and went from xp32 to win7 x64 and installed crt emu 2.0 and was reading the step by step install and is the 2 monitors necessary? I have a wd d9800 monitor a HD 4890 ati that I already flashed with atom15 . I just want it to be right. it seems like its all working. I am using groovymame 0178 so do I have to use crt 2.0? or can I use the older version.
thanks
« Last Edit: October 28, 2016, 08:40:48 am by peterson65 »

michino

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 08, 2018, 10:13:01 am
How do you people get to install the 240x160 resolution for GBA emulation?
Although it is present on the INI I load for the modelist (an INI with combined user-modes + super resolutions) it never gets installed - using latest CRT Emudriver , win7/x64 and a 6450 vga.
Is this a limitation of the card/driver?

Same issue for me. Have you solved that problem?

Thanks

keropi

• Offline Offline

Same issue for me. Have you solved that problem?

Thanks

nope, there is no solution I've been told because 160 it's not enough lines (IIRC).
I just settled and use whatever mGBA selects ...

Calamity

• Offline Offline
  • Quote me with care
nope, there is no solution I've been told because 160 it's not enough lines (IIRC).
I just settled and use whatever mGBA selects ...

HINT: Progressive lines min
Steps to create a log:

CRT Emudriver, VMMaker & Arcade OSD downloads, documentation and discussion:  Eiusdemmodi

peterson65

• Offline Offline
I have a hd4890 big card with a loud fan on it and am using crt-emu driver 2.0.  do the hd5450 cards work well with crt 2.0? any plus or minus to upgrade to the smaller 5450?

oomek

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 08, 2023, 02:31:38 pm
  • Mame forever.
    • https://github.com/oomek
I have  a little problem with CRT Emudriver and Windows 10.

Everything was going smoothly on my CRT until I've decided to connect back my LCD TV through AVR.
The screen started flashing every 10 seconds, the driver was switching back and forward between Radeon HD 6450 and HD 7450.
What's more, I had even a few BSODs in the menatime. So I've decided to go into safe mode, uninstall everything using DDU and boot with disabling driver signature enforcement (on win 10 x64 for some reason enabling test mode does not allow to install unsigned drivers).

So I got it now working but I'm far from being happy. The screen is scaled down with greenish border around (1920x1080@60p through HDMI) seems like overscan to the max. Also I can see I've lost full range color and I have no way to set it back from limited range as all the ATI tools are gone.   

If there is anyone experienced in installing CRTemu on Windows 10 who could shed some light I would really appreciate some help here.

Calamity

• Offline Offline
  • Quote me with care
The screen started flashing every 10 seconds, the driver was switching back and forward between Radeon HD 6450 and HD 7450.

It sounds like W10 was trying to restore its stock driver. I know some guys tried CRT Emudriver on W10 successfully but that was some time ago, and due to W10 upgrade policy now your W10 could be very different from the OS they tried.  Anyway once we have an version of the Emudriver based on newer software we surely get better support.
Steps to create a log:

oomek

• Offline Offline
  • Mame forever.

It sounds like W10 was trying to restore its stock driver. I know some guys tried CRT Emudriver on W10 successfully but that was some time ago, and due to W10 upgrade policy now your W10 could be very different from the OS they tried.  Anyway once we have an version of the Emudriver based on newer software we surely get better support.

That's more than certain it was as you are describing. Disabling automatic driver installation in DDU seems to help.

But that picture through hdmi is useless. Do you know by any chance if it's possible to change the overscan and color range without ccc.exe somewhere in the registry?

oomek

• Offline Offline
  • Mame forever.
But that picture through hdmi is useless. Do you know by any chance if it's possible to change the overscan and color range without ccc.exe somewhere in the registry?

Nevermind, I found it in the registry under the following keys:

To set the pixel format back to RGB Full Range two keys need to contain the data below:
Code: [Select]
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4d36e968-e325-11ce-bfc1-08002be10318}\0000\DAL2_DATA__2_0\DisplayPath_1\MODE_1920_1080_60p_CEA861\Adjustment

RangeRgbLimited REG_BINARY
10 00 00 00 00 00 00 00

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4d36e968-e325-11ce-bfc1-08002be10318}\0000\DAL2_DATA__2_0\DisplayPath_1\Option

BestViewOption_Hdmi REG_BINARY
00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
02 00 00 00 01 00 00 00
08 00 00 00 00 00 00 00

To reset underscan the following key needs to contain the data below:
Code: [Select]
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4d36e968-e325-11ce-bfc1-08002be10318}\0000\DAL2_DATA__2_0\DisplayPath_1\MODE_1920_1080_60p_CEA861_EDID_EE11_3E_1010101\Adjustment

Underscan REG_BINARY
10 00 00 00 00 00 00 00

if there are keys starting with MODE_1920_1080_60i these need to be changed as well.

@Calamity It would be nice if the installer could do it for the user as the driver is stripped off the catalyst tools and not everyone got enough patience like me to dig through the registry :D

Disclaimer: class name may vary.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2016, 09:04:48 pm by oomek »

Calamity

• Offline Offline
  • Quote me with care
Very nice finding. I don't think that could be done through the installer because as you see the keys are customized for each installation (resolution, monitor, edid). A future version might include CCC, although I hate the idea honestly.
Steps to create a log:

keropi

• Offline Offline
Today I decided to flash my 6670 vga - ATOM-15 worked fine and all reading/flashing was made from DOS . I was surprised to see that the Asrock UEFI BIOS actually works in 15Khz mode ... there is a catch though: the screen is separated in 4 "pieces" and it moves when the mouse goes near the edge of each "piece" :

awesome stuff

Calamity

• Offline Offline
  • Quote me with care
That's very nice of Asrock, having thought of that eventuality beforehand and have an implementation ready for it. I have a bad concept of Asrock from my own experiences but certainly those details are worth a reconsideration.
Steps to create a log:

keropi

• Offline Offline
My guess is that someone over there thought of the possibility of a user running a 640x480 screen - a good thing :D
I've had several cheap (under 90e) Asrock motherboards and I am satisfied with them - keeping in mind they are cheap. This one is a 50e one , the H81M-DG4 - it can o/c the G3258 as long as you are on BIOS 1.0 (before intel killed the non-Z o/c option). Haven't had any issues with it for ~1 year now.

cools

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 11, 2024, 02:59:06 pm
  • Arcade Otaku Sysadmin
    • Arcade Otaku
My guess is that someone over there thought of the possibility of a user running a 640x480 screen - a good thing :D
I've had several cheap (under 90e) Asrock motherboards and I am satisfied with them - keeping in mind they are cheap. This one is a 50e one , the H81M-DG4 - it can o/c the G3258 as long as you are on BIOS 1.0 (before intel killed the non-Z o/c option). Haven't had any issues with it for ~1 year now.

Thanks. That gives me a perfect option for my 15K only vertical cabinet and the G3258 I've been hoarding :)

keropi

• Offline Offline
@cools

keep in mind that BIOS v1.0 has issues with windows10 and G3258 - it's those issues that made intel create a new updated BIOS and at the same time decided that only Z-series mobos can o/c so they killed the non-Z workaround manufacturers used. So the board is fine with win7 (and 8 AFAIK) but is a no-go for win10 if you also want to o/c

bent98

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 02, 2019, 03:35:00 pm
  • Hyperspin Moderator
I just build a new PC running win 7 x64 ultimate that I wanted t replace my XP machine that I had hooked up to my Quad sync Billabs CRT. I just picked up a used 7950HD installed 2.0 beta 8 driver and noticed that Hyperspin mp4 videos dont play and are solid green. I saw a thread about it a few years back and the fix was to disable hardware acceleration in firefox browser but that didnt work. I dont have the computer hooked up to CRT yet, its only hooked to a lcd monitor as I am still installing and configuring my emulators. If I uninstalled the driver and leave the default windows driver it does play the mp4 vids. I also tried installing VLC and a codec package.

Anyone else have this issue? Is the 7950 ati card compatible or did I get the wrong card?

Calamity

• Offline Offline
  • Quote me with care
New beta 9

[08/02/2016][CRT Emudriver 2.0][CRT Tools 2.0][beta 9]

- [Emudriver]  New driver packages based on Crimson 16.2.1. Lots of new AMD GPUs & APUs supported.

- [VMMaker]
  - [Arcade OSD] Changes to correctly apply polarities and refresh with Crimson drivers.

- [VMMaker]    New commands available from the application's console, to allow manual management of the mode list, etc. Type "help" for details.

Notes

- The new drivers (Crimson 16.2.1) can only be used with GroovyMAME versions based on Switchres 0.017a and up.

- For cards supported by several versions, the most recent one is recommended.

(As a bonus, MP4 playback seems to be fixed now with the Crimson based drivers. I don't dare to claim this aloud because this feature has proved to be cursed in the past.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2017, 02:24:24 pm by Calamity »
Steps to create a log:

Sledge

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 25, 2022, 05:22:55 am
Which installation guide would we use for the new cards? (R5-230 here)
This one?
http://geedorah.com/eiusdemmodi/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=1052#p1052

Calamity

• Offline Offline
  • Quote me with care
Which installation guide would we use for the new cards? (R5-230 here)
This one?
http://geedorah.com/eiusdemmodi/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=1052#p1052

Yes, all GPUs from HD-5000 series and up are configured the same way.
Steps to create a log:

patpittoulai

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 12, 2020, 05:28:59 pm
New beta 9

[08/02/2016][CRT Emudriver 2.0][CRT Tools 2.0][beta 9]

- [Emudriver]  New driver packages based on Crimson 16.2.1. Lots of new AMD GPUs & APUs supported.

- [VMMaker]
  - [Arcade OSD] Changes to correctly apply polarities and refresh with Crimson drivers.

- [VMMaker]    New commands available from the application's console, to allow manual management of the mode list, etc. Type "help" for details.

Notes

- The new drivers (Crimson 16.2.1) can only be used with GroovyMAME versions based on Switchres 0.017a and up.

- For cards supported by several versions, the most recent one is recommended.

(As a bonus, MP4 playback seems to be fixed now with the Crimson based drivers. I don't dare to claim this aloud because this feature has proved to be cursed in the past.

Wow. so does that mean Radeon R9 series graphics card are now supported? Cool!

Calamity

• Offline Offline
  • Quote me with care
Wow. so does that mean Radeon R9 series graphics card are now supported? Cool!

Yep. Using one here right now.
Steps to create a log:

Sledge

• Offline Offline
So everything has installed ok, but in windows the card reports as R5 200 series, but in VMM it says HD6450
Is that normal?

Also, in the guide it says:
The final step is to edit mame.ini and with the options -resolution 2560x0 -cleanstretch 2

using -cleanstretch gives an error about 'unknown option'.. is it no longer used/needed?

And can we still use mutlithreading? That option is no longer in mame.ini either..
« Last Edit: February 11, 2017, 06:01:56 am by Sledge »

Calamity

• Offline Offline
  • Quote me with care
So everything has installed ok, but in windows the card reports as R5 200 series, but in VMM it says HD6450
Is that normal?

Also, in the guide it says:
The final step is to edit mame.ini and with the options -resolution 2560x0 -cleanstretch 2

using -cleanstretch gives an error about 'unknown option'.. is it no longer used/needed?

And can we still use mutlithreading? That option is no longer in mame.ini either..

You don't need any of those options anymore, just leave all defaults.

It's odd that VMMaker reports that. It just shows what it gets from the OS. I wouldn't worry as long as it works.
Steps to create a log:

krick

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 08, 2023, 08:30:27 pm
  • Gotta have blue hair.

You don't need any of those options anymore, just leave all defaults.

Are you referring to just cleanstretch and multithreading options, or do you mean "resolution 2560x0" as well?
Hantarex Polo 15KHz
Sapphire Radeon HD 7750 2GB (GCN)
GroovyMAME 0.197.017h_d3d9ex
CRT Emudriver & CRT Tools 2.0 beta 13 (Crimson 16.2.1 for GCN cards)
Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
Intel Core i7-4790K @ 4.8GHz
ASUS Z87M-PLUS Motherboard

Sledge

• Offline Offline
does Atom-15 work with new cards?

Calamity

• Offline Offline
  • Quote me with care
Are you referring to just cleanstretch and multithreading options, or do you mean "resolution 2560x0" as well?

I meant -cleanstretch and -multithreading. But -resolution 2560x0 is also redundant if you have a table just made of super resolutions. I now prefer to just create super resolutions for progressive modes, then leave a couple of normal 4:3 interlaced modes for vertical games when required, as older cards struggle with scaling to 2560x"high vertical resolution". In that case, you must not force 2560x0 in mame.ini, so the normal interlaced modes have a chance to be used.
Steps to create a log:

Calamity

• Offline Offline
  • Quote me with care
does Atom-15 work with new cards?

It should work. The most probable issue you may run into is not having enough space in the original bios.
Steps to create a log:

Sledge

• Offline Offline
What settings do i use for a vertical screen?
I have everything set up in windows etc, and use iRotate to rotate the screen
But things go bad when i set 'vertical' screen in VMM

Also, in VMM when using the arcade15 preset i get this normal display:
http://puu.sh/u8pm3/ec00428250.jpg

But when i use the MS929 (25kHz removed) preset i get this squashed display:
http://puu.sh/u8pj7/b36a716905.jpg

Is arcade15 good enough?
Should i worry about trying to use MS929?
« Last Edit: February 18, 2017, 02:28:37 am by Sledge »

Calamity

• Offline Offline
  • Quote me with care
Is arcade15 good enough?

You can probably stick to arcade_15 if you're anyway removing upper ranges. You should be getting a normal desktop with ms929 anyway. All what matters is the resolution that ends up being applied to the desktop.
Steps to create a log:

Sledge

• Offline Offline
Is arcade15 good enough?

You can probably stick to arcade_15 if you're anyway removing upper ranges. You should be getting a normal desktop with ms929 anyway. All what matters is the resolution that ends up being applied to the desktop.
Which i can't actually see what it is as it's too squished, so ok, i'll stick to arcade15

But what settings do i use for a vertical screen?