Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: New CRT Emudriver/VMMaker/Arcade OSD download, documentation and discussion site  (Read 200787 times)

Sledge

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 25, 2022, 05:22:55 am
Hi Calamity,
A message from Sean skroht:

Can you update your interlaced patcher to work with Windows 7 version 6.1.7601.23537 please?

Cheers :)
« Last Edit: April 09, 2021, 07:52:25 am by Sledge »

Sledge

• Offline Offline
Hi Calamity,
I'm trying to install a HD4850 in the cabinet, and i've got the drivers installed..created and installed modes...in Windows 10
But i'm trying to follow this guide: https://geedorah.com/eiusdemmodi/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=1016#p1016
But it's talking about having 2 screens to swap between.. and unplug at various stages etc
My issue is I only have 1 port that i can access (DVI=>VGA dongle)
So how do i set this up with only 1 port and not being able to have the 2 screens plugged in at the same time?
Do i not 'extend desktop' and do things differently?

alex2005

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 20, 2023, 09:21:14 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Hi guys,

Could anyone enlight me, is the Ryzen 5 2400G the most recent CPU that CRT Emudriver supports, or could I go any better? I'm intending to build this one in my cabinet for retro and modern emulation (wii, ps3, etc).

Between this one or a 4790k, which one would be your recommendation? 4790k seems to perform better for certain emulators but it supports DDR3 only, while the Ryzen 5 2400G supports DDR4 and I guess for more modern emulators that would be better (like RPCS3)?

Thanks a lot in advance :)

wolfsoft

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 10, 2023, 07:54:14 am
I am starting again with groovymame and emucrt with current win 10 professional

My Hardware:
Asrock Z97 Anniversary Rev 1.01 (Pro3?)    Bios P2.1 2018/3/13
CPU DUAL CORE Intel Pentium G3258 @3,2GHz Socket 1150  (Overclocked to 4GHz)
RAM DDR3-1600 Kingston RAM 2x4GB
GPU ATI Radeon HD 7950

I had experiance years ago with win xp but seems a lot has changed ...

Where I can find tutorials, Hints for current Version?
-crt_emudriver_&_tools_2.0_beta_15_12.6_W.7.8.10-64
-groovymame_0232.002b_win-7-8-10

I found this video here and tried it. It works for my first start :-)

GroovyMame Setup on Windows10.with CRT Emudriver 2.0/VmMaker!

Is Windows 10 the right solution, or do I stack with the last Win7 ?

One first question VMMaker generated 120 Modlines. Is this the current maximum of modlines, or can I use more ?

thanks

http://www.blog.wolfsoft.de for arcade tutorials
http://www.wolfsoft.de for our website

wolfsoft

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 10, 2023, 07:54:14 am
Hi there,

I tried a fresh Win 10 Prof. System with a Radeon HD 7950

Current Windows 10 System Build 19041.vb:release.191206-1406 (Version 21H1)

Do I need to install the official AMD Adrenaline 18.5.1 Driver before EMU CRT?

Or only fresh windows winstall and CRT EMUDriver 2.0 Beta 15 18.5.1 and then Radeon settings 18.5.1?

Any suggestions?

Thanks

http://www.blog.wolfsoft.de for arcade tutorials
http://www.wolfsoft.de for our website

Sledge

• Offline Offline
Or only fresh windows winstall and CRT EMUDriver 2.0 Beta 15 18.5.1 and then Radeon settings 18.5.1?
YES
Do I need to install the official AMD Adrenaline 18.5.1 Driver before EMU CRT?
NO

Follow this guide :)
https://geedorah.com/eiusdemmodi/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=1052#p1052

jitu

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 06, 2023, 12:43:27 pm
  • Looking for my endgame cab!
Hello all  :)

First of all, thank you all for continued support and helping noobs like myself with setups and configuration. I know it's tough to do without being in front of the device and programs in question. So, I will provide as much info I can think of. Also, included GM log file that was created with a test game (Street Fighter Alpha).

Second, I rushed to get this post up but I do plan to update this with my own screenshots later tonight. In the meantime, I have attached screenshots from the setup guide for reference.

My system setup:
  • PC VGA -> JPAC -> WG 25K7131
  • Windows 7 Pro
  • VisionTek Radeon 5450

What I have installed and configured so far using the following guides:
  • Installing CRT Emudriver 2.0 - HD 5450 - Windows 7 - super resolutions: https://geedorah.com/eiusdemmodi/forum/viewtopic.php?id=301
  • Groovy MAME: Installation and quick configuration (2019 guide): https://geedorah.com/eiusdemmodi/forum/viewtopic.php?id=433
  • After enabling EDID and changing vga cable from LCD to arcade monitor running on 640x480, I was able to generate and install all 15 modelines

• Ran GM from command line

• This is the part that I am not able to get working. My GM doesn't show the switchres info as shown in this screenshot. In command line window, switchres output error saying: could not find a video mode that meets your specs

What I am needing help with:
  • GM to run with switchres

Calamity

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 10, 2024, 02:02:31 pm
  • Quote me with care
@jitu, you've probably missed the "Install modes" step. No modes are shown in your mode list aside of the one provided by EDID emulation.
Important note: posts reporting GM issues without a log will be IGNORED.
Steps to create a log:
 - From command line, run: groovymame.exe -v romname >romname.txt
 - Attach resulting romname.txt file to your post, instead of pasting it.

CRT Emudriver, VMMaker & Arcade OSD downloads, documentation and discussion:  Eiusdemmodi

jitu

• Offline Offline
@jitu, you've probably missed the "Install modes" step. No modes are shown in your mode list aside of the one provided by EDID emulation.

Hi Calamity! can't thank you enough for all the work you do for the community  :notworthy:

...so, to verify the modeline install, I generated and installed in vmmaker so I could take screenshots this time, but the results were different from the first time when it generated 15 modelines and installed 15 modelines. This was after disabling and enabling EDID several time using various presets and ending with Arcade_15.

This is the output I got when I ran vmmaker again:

Since it wasn't able to install some of them, I went through the EDID process again by disabling it first and then deleting modelines from driver, and restarting the PC just in case. Here are the steps taken:

Screenshots from LCD plugged into vga:

Screenshots from arcade monitor plugged into jpac to vga:

...and now it's not able to install any of them. :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

Calamity

• Offline Offline
  • Quote me with care
@jitu, you don't have CRT Emudriver installed. That's regular AMD drivers.
Steps to create a log:

CRT Emudriver, VMMaker & Arcade OSD downloads, documentation and discussion:  Eiusdemmodi

jitu

• Offline Offline
@jitu, you don't have CRT Emudriver installed. That's regular AMD drivers.

I didn't even notice that till now but that's really strange since I haven't uninstalled it. All I have been doing is toggling EDID with different presets after installing crt emudriver, hence the test mode watermark at bottom right cornet.

Regardless, I installed the driver once again, opened vmmaker and it is now seeing crt emudriver. Then, I selected Arcade_15 preset, enabled EDID, switched to arcade monitor, generated modelines and installed it. Again, it's saying all of them rejected by driver.

After this, I attempted to toggle EDID and generate/install modelines, the system started crashing. Now I can't get a stable OS when attempting to install driver.

Side note: I have tried a method not mentioned in the guide which yielded GM to successfully use switchred but my desktop was also unusable since it was stretched out. What I did was (with crt emudriver installed), in vmmaker, I generated modelines and installed it. Then enabled EDID with Arcade_15. I was using my LCD as primary and arcade monitor as secondary, while telling GM to send output to the second display. When the initial screen comes up when launching a game, it shows the video resolution info and then below that the switchres info. I would have kept it that way if my setup called for multi monitor but my purpose is to have a single monitor running Bigbox frontend. This was not doable since the desktop is stretched on the arcade monitor using super res.

Calamity

• Offline Offline
  • Quote me with care
@jitu, you're probably pointing to the wrong output. In Settings->Video card->Device dropdown, make sure to point to the output named after ARCADE_15 before installing modes.
Steps to create a log:

jitu

• Offline Offline
@jitu, you're probably pointing to the wrong output. In Settings->Video card->Device dropdown, make sure to point to the output named after ARCADE_15 before installing modes.

Brother, I don't know where you live but I will find you and I will kiss you.

rvvxdd

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 22, 2021, 09:02:23 am
@calamity Hello, I've been enjoying using my crt on windows 10 but since the windows 11 update, I cant get the EDID emulation to work properly. all of my modelines get rejected by the driver. any suggestions on how i can fix this?

Calamity

• Offline Offline
  • Quote me with care
@calamity Hello, I've been enjoying using my crt on windows 10 but since the windows 11 update, I cant get the EDID emulation to work properly. all of my modelines get rejected by the driver. any suggestions on how i can fix this?

That sounds like the stock driver is being loaded instead of Emudriver. This is untested on Windows 11 by the way.
Steps to create a log:

rvvxdd

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 22, 2021, 09:02:23 am
vmmaker and device manager both say im using the crt emudriver driver for my gpu. Ive also uninstalled and reinstalled the driver a few times just to make sure.

peterson65

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 07, 2023, 09:27:12 pm
I had to start from scratch on my mame cabinet because of hard drive problems, thought everything was ok but noticed any resolution that's *304 goes way off my d9800 screen and I cant adjust it to fit with the control on the monitor? what did I do wrong this time as I don't remember having to edit any modes before.
thanks

silvereagle

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 05, 2023, 05:10:23 pm
Delete
« Reply #337 on: January 06, 2022, 12:11:18 pm »
Posted my topic in the help me section.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2022, 12:47:48 pm by silvereagle »

shadoom

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 25, 2022, 06:50:28 pm
hello first of all sorry for my english I install crt emudriver and everything ok when doing it with super resolutions and having HANTAREX POLO STAR 25 I HAVE THE TYPICAL PROBLEM of the pulse when jumping resolution after loading the game with groovy mame, even though I have the resolution desktop according to calamity, many times I lose video synchronism, however if I use the normal resolutions that appear in the other ini:user_modes, which come with vmmaker I don't have that problem, is groovymame working fine if I don't use user_modes - Super?

safire25

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 07, 2022, 12:44:49 am
hey guys, desperately in need of assistance here

So, I have a 31khz CRT arcade monitor, I have Atomic FE set up as my emulator front end mainly playing mame games. I am using Win 7 and I have installed HD6950 with the crimson calamity drivers and CRT emudriver 2.0

so once i go to VMM maker and set up 31kfz monitor as my preset and then enable the EDID emulation for VGA analog and then connect my arcade monitor pic is perfect.

The problem I have is when I reboot windows, no matter what I try (even tried a HD5490) it initially boots the first bios screen and monitor is in sync, then the next bios screen (all 640x480 dos based text graphics) the pic looks like its doubling up but again not a major issue, but then and this is where i am worried, when its displaying the "loading windows" screen and then the black screen straight after this (prob around 10 seconds in total) pic is scrambled but the monitor is clicking non stop like its out of sync, once the windows desktop loads its fine and in sync

I have no idea how to get all windows loading screens to display 31khz 640 x 480 to stop the monitor clicking like this? i mean it works everytime and if this is not doing any damage to the monitor i can live with it but if its dangerous then how do i fix this?

Thanks so much

Steve

arcadeswede

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 28, 2022, 11:43:56 am
    • Revansch!
One quick solution is to measure how long the PC takes to boot then add I timer/delay unit/plug to delay the start of the monitor until Windows is booted.

safire25

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 07, 2022, 12:44:49 am
Thanks but is it dangerous for the monitor when its clicking when out of sync for like 10 seconds?

Calamity

• Offline Offline
  • Quote me with care
Thanks but is it dangerous for the monitor when its clicking when out of sync for like 10 seconds?

Hi safire25,

You can flash your card with ATOM-15, checking the 31 kHz option only. This will ensure all frequencies during boot are safe.
Steps to create a log:

Ericthegreat

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 21, 2022, 01:16:34 am
Anyway to avoid test mode? Like by signing the driver ourselves or something?

KaBoom1701

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 06, 2024, 10:37:43 am
Running windows 7 and for some reason I can't get the setup app to get past the calamity cert. I've clicked on the file in drivers folder and installed the cert as a trusted publisher.   

Any ideas on what I'm doing wrong?

tisurame

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 10, 2024, 11:10:59 am
  • I'm a llama!

What GPU are you using with Windows 11?

donluca

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 06:29:08 pm
Looks like AMD just released new drivers for its "legacy GPUs" which go back as far as the HD 5000 series.

https://pcgamer.com/amd-has-released-new-drivers-for-gpus-it-no-longer-supports

Maybe it could be of interest to this project to update the custom CRT Emudriver to this version? I have no clue about the possible benefits.
On a scale of fakeness, from more genuine to more fake, we'd have:

1.- Plastic plants (cf. Fake Plastic Trees)
2.- Inflatable dolls
3.- Arcade cabinets with LCD monitors

psakhis

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 12:12:41 pm
@donluca, with @Calamity's permision, i added vulkan to emudriver with 2021 adrenalin drivers.

W10
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1fZ6CB8rSCdxEohYmIDPTxYc40LGx3bh7/view?usp=sharing

If you are interested on W7, i have as well.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2022, 01:36:23 am by psakhis »

phasermaniac

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 24, 2024, 05:40:47 am
Hi @psakhis
Will this work with a non GNC card like the amd HD 6950?
thanks

psakhis

• Offline Offline
Hi @psakhis
Will this work with a non GNC card like the amd HD 6950?
thanks
Make no sense if non gcn cards aren't vulkan compat.

Calamity

• Offline Offline
  • Quote me with care
@donluca, with @Calamity's permision, i added vulkan to emudriver with 2021 adrenalin drivers.

W10
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1fZ6CB8rSCdxEohYmIDPTxYc40LGx3bh7/view?usp=sharing

Thanks psakhis,

I'd like to make this package official, if it's ok. I'd only need to pass the inf through the signature process here.

Is the runtime .exe instaler required? Do you have to run it after CRT Emudriver's setup?
Steps to create a log:

donluca

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 06:29:08 pm

W10

Thank you for the modded drivers.

Unfortunately I've not been actively using GroovyMAME for a lot of time.
Back when I had the luxury of having some free time I bought a cab and all the PCBs I really wanted and that was pretty much it.

I'm still around mainly because I really like this project and I love seeing it evolve.

I posted that updated driver because there might still be someone using Windows7 64-bit along with old cards and that could come handy to them.
On a scale of fakeness, from more genuine to more fake, we'd have:

1.- Plastic plants (cf. Fake Plastic Trees)
2.- Inflatable dolls
3.- Arcade cabinets with LCD monitors

psakhis

• Offline Offline
Thanks psakhis,

I'd like to make this package official, if it's ok. I'd only need to pass the inf through the signature process here.

Is the runtime .exe instaler required? Do you have to run it after CRT Emudriver's setup?
I added on C0328911.inf missing vulkan files from 2021 adrenalin package, it's all. Isn't necessary modify modify .exe or certificate.

Calamity

• Offline Offline
  • Quote me with care
I added on C0328911.inf missing vulkan files from 2021 adrenalin package, it's all. Isn't necessary modify modify .exe or certificate.

The inf's hash needs to be in the .cat (catalogue) file. It can be installed without it probably but it's not ideal.
Steps to create a log:

spacorn

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 29, 2022, 10:46:45 am
Hello! I need a lead...

I got my hands on a small form factor PC with a RX Vega 10 video card for testing (hardware id: PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_15D8&SUBSYS_01231002&REV_C1).
The "RX Vega Series" is listed as compatible for crt_emudriver v2.0. However, the driver installer didn't recognize any compatible devices.
I'm testing this on Windows 10 Home 64-bits, with the driver version: "2.0 beta 15 (Adrenalin 18.5.1 for GCN* cards) for Windows 10 64-bits"

By inspecting the C0328911.inf file, I see there are other "RX Vega Series" models listed (Vega 3, Vega 8 and RX Vega 11...), but not mine, RX Vega 10.

I managed to force-install crt_emudriver by replacing the RX Vega 11's entry hardware id with the hardware id of my RX Vega 10. However, after installation and rebooting, it doesn't seem to be loading: the Device Manager status says: "Windows has stopped this device because it has reported problems. (Code 43)"; and vmmaker reports "no compatible drivers found".

Can something be done?
Could this be related to driver validation after my modification? (I didn't do anything about the driver's digital signing, I didn't touch the .cab file... The installation did go through though)
Or is it likely that the parts on my small factor PC are not the same as the "stock" ones, and can't be used with crt_emudriver at all?

Any tips, or even a confirmation that nothing can be done, would be very appreciated. Thanks in advance, and thanks again Calamity for your work on crt_emudriver and all its tools! (This would be my third crt-tv setup  :angel:)

Calamity

• Offline Offline
  • Quote me with care
spacorn,

Your gpu was probably released after this version of the driver. We'd need a new CRT Emudriver based on a newer AMD driver in order to support it.

At the moment I can't give any probable date for this to happen.
Steps to create a log:

spacorn

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 29, 2022, 10:46:45 am
Thanks for the response, Calamity.
I'll just move on to a different build for the time being.

Cheers!

bobbed

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 15, 2022, 08:55:49 pm
Hi guys,

Rewriting this post as I have decided to go with a fresh reinstall of windows and the latest Emudriver version.

I have an ATI Radeon HD 4870 with an i7 CPU. On a fresh win10 install the setup.exe identified my card but would consistently blue screen during installation, and on reboot Windows had serious graphical issues (login screen pure black, no mouse cursor, can't see explorer windows or any program). Booting to safe mode and uninstalling the driver fixed the issue, but I would get the same result with each subsequent install attempt. I even tried installing some different Radeon drivers prior to the emudriver setup to no avail.

I gave up and went with a fresh win7 install. This time the Emudriver install completed, but after restart I had the same graphical issues as before (black screen instead of login screen, no cursor, menus and explorer simply do not show despite being active). This time Emudriver identified the card as generic instead of the Radeon HD 4870.

Any ideas? Emudriver 1.2 used to work with this card with no issues.

Thanks
« Last Edit: December 15, 2022, 12:06:18 pm by bobbed »

r1ggles

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 29, 2024, 06:55:33 pm
spacorn,

Your gpu was probably released after this version of the driver. We'd need a new CRT Emudriver based on a newer AMD driver in order to support it.

At the moment I can't give any probable date for this to happen.
Just wanted to post that we're a number of people who would greatly appreciate it if it happens, having the main PC for this purpose is nice, both from a CPU viewpoint (being able to utilizie the best most modern CPU you own for MAME) and just from a convenience point of view as many keep our 15kHz CRT's near our desks anyway.

Have a friend try get their dual GPU (modern nvidia GPU+HD5450) setup working with win11, which worked perfectly with vulkan and flawless CRTswitchres in win10. But despite my recommendation on ignoring win11, they decided to upgrade anway and ended up with the rejected by driver issue. Which is how I found out about the whole DX11 compatibility clash.
Personally I disabled unsuspecting win11 upgrades in every way I can.

All the work you've put into this is greatly appreciated either way, can't imagine a world with CRT's but without CRTEmudriver!  :applaud:

Unrelated to the above:
Been helping people set all of this up through discord a lot, as I threw together some guide PDF's for this setup:

Hardware needed+CRTemudriver install+guide and presets for RA CRTSwitchres+gui alternatives (all on the CRT, or optionally game browsing on an LCD) and that sort of thing, very roughly put together but I'm easily available anyway.

So anyone who needs help, just hit me up and I'll gladly help getting the setup up and running, both emulation and windows native games that support 15kHz resolutions, have a bunch of those setup with batch+ahk scripts for perfect output set at game launch, no stutters or screen tearing at all. 4x internal resolutions for 3D systems at 2560 super res output (yes it makes a difference https://imgur.com/a/2eVfjla last pic is 4x internal) vulkan allowing for main GPU processing, outputting to the HD5450 while the CRT is set as main display for switchres. With no lag or a <16ms subframe lag cost (240 fps highspeed cam test showing perfect syncronization between CRT and modern monitor).

More than happy to share how any of this is done. :)

Recapnation

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 01, 2023, 07:39:55 pm
    • Eiusdemmodi
In case anyone's wondering, Eiusdemmodi's SSL is not working currently so you need to use the HTTP version for now (ignore any browser's warning; it'll be safe):

http://geedorah.com/eiusdemmodi/forum/index.php

You'll need to delete cookies for loggin in properly.