Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: New CRT Emudriver/VMMaker/Arcade OSD download, documentation and discussion site  (Read 198294 times)

XTrek

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 05, 2017, 06:54:51 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
By using chrome i was able to download the beta 2.0 driver. Thanks.  I did earlier have som experience using the older 1.2 driver. Crt is absolut the best for retro gaming. Thanks for the hard work creating the driver  :)

Recapnation

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 01, 2023, 07:39:55 pm
    • Eiusdemmodi
Dear sirs, regarding Eiusdemmodi:

Migrating website; downtime in very few days

Not sure when, exactly, but the Site will be down for a few hours, maybe days, this week. There's a possibility we can't get this Forum working immediately (and with it, all the information here will be temporarily lost -- be aware it could be even for weeks), depending on how Pun-BB responds. So, in that case, we'll make the announcements on the frontpage, so please, remember this URL:

www.geedorah.com

Hopefully everything will go well, but you never know.

cools

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 11, 2024, 02:59:06 pm
  • Arcade Otaku Sysadmin
    • Arcade Otaku
Can't login on Eiusdemmodi (or reset my password).

Using: crt_emudriver_&_tools_2.0_beta_10_12.6_W.7.8.10-64.exe

"Error: The driver installation failed: 103 No More Data is available"

Win 7 Home Premium SP1, UAC disabled, Radeon 4530 (ATOM-15)

Ignore me, none of them are working even beta 9 or 1.2. Must be something in Windows.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2017, 06:21:23 am by cools »

Recapnation

• Offline Offline
    • Eiusdemmodi
We're still trying to solve some issues with Eiusdemmodi's DB so it' not fully functional (new contributions may get lost), but there shouldn't be log-in/password problems. Let's wait till the process is finished and I'll mail you a new password if you still get this by then.

If other members find the same issues, it'd help if you let us know it here in the next few days. Or mail them to me at postbackweb --at-- yahoo --dot-- com

Thanks.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2017, 07:23:25 am by Recapnation »

snappleman

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 27, 2022, 10:11:27 pm
OK so I must be completely ignorant, but I read through the CRT_Emudriver docs and look over the forums, and I can't seem to find anything regarding the composite sync options available on some Radeon cards. Is this usable at all? Right now I use a SCART to Component adapter which takes care of the sync for me but I want to install GroovyMame on an RGB monitor and I don't know what to do about the composite sync it needs.

Does my HD6450 (or my 5450) have composite sync that CRT_Emudriver can use?

EDIT - I just found some posts about this topic, gonna read through it all and hopefully it'll help me out.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2017, 10:01:39 pm by snappleman »

Recapnation

• Offline Offline
    • Eiusdemmodi
Eiusdemmodi should be working again, though new registrations still require sending us an e-mail and the old threads in the Spanish subforum look weird for now, sorry. If anyone finds log-in/password issues now, please let us know via e-mail too.

Paradroid

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 10, 2024, 04:41:43 am
    • SCART Hunter
OK so I must be completely ignorant, but I read through the CRT_Emudriver docs and look over the forums, and I can't seem to find anything regarding the composite sync options available on some Radeon cards.

I experimented with the a year or so ago. I did get it working in the end but found the process very frustrating (there's just not much documentation about because most people default to a UMSA or other sync combiner).

This page was helpful: http://www.idiots.org.uk/vga_rgb_scart/

Also, for me, the trick for me was to use WinModelines to enable composite sync: http://www.geocities.ws/podernixie/htpc/modeline-en.html

Then, from memory, I think you need to fiddle with the sync polarity in VMMaker.

Would be great if the whole GroovyMAME package had some kind of global switch for composite sync. Saves on additional circuitry. Makes RGB modding a TV much simpler (tap the Jungle IC OSD RGB lines and simply feed composite sync directly into the yellow RCA).

Even better would be composite sync using the Atom BIOS (that's the main reason I abandoned the composite sync idea: I wanted the boot sequence to display in 15 kHz).

Good luck! :)
My MAME/SCART/CRT blog: SCART Hunter

snappleman

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 27, 2022, 10:11:27 pm
Thanks! I've been looking into it and it turns out only my Radeon 2400xt supports composite sync (at least in WinModelines) so I'm going ahead and building a sync combiner.

billfor

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 11, 2017, 12:15:55 pm
FYI I think the mame_favourites.ini may have a limit of 512 lines in 2.0 vmmaker. When adding beyond this the vmmaker program crashes.  I don't recall this limit on the vmmaker 1.4. I filter Catver.ini against regular expressions to come up with a list of roms, so my .ini file has 6572 entires.   I can just prefilter the mame.xml but wanted to mention the issue with vmmaker.

keropi

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 28, 2022, 11:06:35 am
In my cab I use a HD6670 vga with an Atom15 BIOS and currently have installed an older driver version from back when I set up the whole thing: crt_emudriver_&_tools_2.0_beta_8_12.6_W.7.8.10-64

Should I update with the "Catalyst 12.6" based driver or the "Crimson 16.2.1 non-GCN* cards" one? What is the recommendation here?
Also I assume I can just update the driver over the old one, right?

TIA for any info/help!

Mad_Duke

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 07, 2017, 11:39:01 am
Hi everyone!  Here is one completely satisfied user of crt_emudriver

I'm driving an old HD 5670 through DVI -> VGA -> UMSA - Ultimate SCART Adapter -> Sony Trinitron 29" CRT
And it works like a charm in 768x480@60i    Even though it looks "frankensteini" in the back :P    Unfortunately here it's difficult to find anything other than Sony CRT TVs.  They work fine, (minus the geometry at the edges but what can you do). It's not like it's  cheap or possible to order something better through mail :P

Anyway.  I have one "question".  I know there can't be a definitive answer but...
The new  AMD AM4 boards have the VGA out on some.  What do you think will there be a possibility when Raven Ridge APU comes out in a few months (4 Ryzen cores and Vega integrated graphics) to push these resolutions out?      I'm playing games in 768x480@60i so that is more than 5 times less resolution than 1080P so it will have enough GPU power to run anything and the Ryzen cores are powerful enough.   That would be my personal dream come true looking at the form factor which will be really small (no need for an external GPU.

PS: I've been playing Cuphead yesterday on the arcade. It's an awesome (though frustrating from time to time) experience hehehehe

Calamity

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 14, 2024, 05:26:05 am
  • Quote me with care
What do you think will there be a possibility when Raven Ridge APU comes out in a few months (4 Ryzen cores and Vega integrated graphics) to push these resolutions out?

I guess that will work as long as we have updated drivers for the new hardware.

Somehow related to this, I've been thinking of opening a thread about building a low cost APU based pc, based on already existing (not Ryzen) APU processors, so the hardware expert crew can provide some advice on this. I've done some (limited) research and it seems possible to flash the integrated AMD GPU just like we do with discrete video cards.

Hopefully in the next few months I have more time to focus on this. Currently I hardly have time to visit this forum.
Important note: posts reporting GM issues without a log will be IGNORED.
Steps to create a log:
 - From command line, run: groovymame.exe -v romname >romname.txt
 - Attach resulting romname.txt file to your post, instead of pasting it.

CRT Emudriver, VMMaker & Arcade OSD downloads, documentation and discussion:  Eiusdemmodi

keropi

• Offline Offline
since noone replied I decided to make a system backup and try to update to the latest "Crimson 16.2.1 non-GCN" driver: all I got was a blue screen initially and then some weird half-install that VMMAKER can't recognise... also tried to restore the original MS driver, it worked but the latest CRTEmuDriver drivers (both flavors) still did not install correctly.
Is there a way to update or not at all? It seems to me monitor info is damaged or something, resolutions are greyed out in all crtemudrivers and they are not getting detected.  :banghead:
« Last Edit: October 11, 2017, 02:00:42 pm by keropi »

philexile

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 30, 2022, 03:45:01 pm
  • I want to build my a GroovyMame PC!
Hello, I'm updating groovy for the first time in almost two years. I noticed that the Generic 15khz/31khz preset is missing. This worked very well with Sony BVM monitors capable of syncing standard and high-def signals, but not mid-sync.

Is there a way to add this back in?

Thank you

Calamity

• Offline Offline
  • Quote me with care
CRT Tools - Fall whiners update

NEW!: Windows Interlace Patcher 1.0. New tool that attempts to fix, once and for all, the infamous halved refresh issue affecting legacy (pre HD-5000) AMD cards.

[24/11/2017][CRT Emudriver 2.0][CRT Tools 2.0][beta 11]

- [Emudriver]  Disabled deflicker filter for interlaced modes. Now your interlaced modes will look perfectly sharp, with all their genuine flicker intact.

- [VMMaker]    Fixed bug that caused CRT Emudriver not being detected under Windows XP.

- [VMMaker]    Added new preset for 15/31 kHz dual-sync monitor.

[24/11/2017]ATOM-15 v1.4

- Fixed bug that caused wrong checksum correction in some cases.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2017, 08:43:12 am by Calamity »
Steps to create a log:

CRT Emudriver, VMMaker & Arcade OSD downloads, documentation and discussion:  Eiusdemmodi

R-Typer

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 07:21:31 pm
  • C64 Rulez!!!!
Hey Calamity!

Is this interlace deflicker thing an option? or is it forced by default driver installation?

I ask because I would like to use new crtemu drivers but with deflickering mode on. I hate interlace flickering so much.

Many thanks!

Calamity

• Offline Offline
  • Quote me with care
Hey Calamity!

Is this interlace deflicker thing an option? or is it forced by default driver installation?

I ask because I would like to use new crtemu drivers but with deflickering mode on. I hate interlace flickering so much.

Many thanks!

Unfortunately it's not an option. Once the driver is patched, there's no deflicker filter anymore. You can keep using the previous driver just fine, since this is the only difference between them, and still download and use the updated CRT Tools.

Several users have been bugging me persistently about the "blurriness issue" since CRT Emudriver 2.0 was launched, while the pro-filter campaign was almost nonexistent. A project like this can't afford having a big part of its user base tied to absurd hardware for a nonsense issue.

Steps to create a log:

haynor666

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 04, 2024, 03:20:27 am
  • retro maniac
CRT Tools - Fall whiners update

Ha ha ha, that's good Calamity  :D

Thanks for update, now I'm ready to switch finally into windows 7 x64 :)

Paradroid

• Offline Offline
    • SCART Hunter
Hellz yeah!!! :) We just got our flicker back!

Haven't had a chance to test yet but this will mean I can finally ditch my HD 4xxx cards. That deinterlace filter really shat me.

Thanks for looking out for us whiners. :)

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Calamity

• Offline Offline
  • Quote me with care
Haven't had a chance to test yet but this will mean I can finally ditch my HD 4xxx cards. That deinterlace filter really shat me.

Regarding HD 4xxx cards, now their most annoying issue has also been fixed: halved refresh on interlace. This one was way more difficult to solve than the deflicker filter. I spent a lot of time looking in the wrong place. It turns out it's a Windows feature (now available in Linux also!).

Steps to create a log:

Paradroid

• Offline Offline
    • SCART Hunter
Amazing work, really. So pleased that you persisted! :)

So, for your next trick, what are the chances of a composite sync option for Atom-15?

If we had that, we could do away with all our sync combiners (UMSA, Extron, J-PAC, homemade cables, etc.)

Currently, we can get composite sync direct out of an ATI card once Windows has launched but not during boot.

Calamity

• Offline Offline
  • Quote me with care
So, for your next trick, what are the chances of a composite sync option for Atom-15?

I think it could be done. You know you'll have to beta-test, don't you?  ;)
Steps to create a log:

Paradroid

• Offline Offline
    • SCART Hunter
You know you'll have to beta-test, don't you?  ;)

Sounds like a reasonable deal. :)

keropi

• Offline Offline
Thanks Calamity for the new driver - the interlace filter removal did make a huge difference in clarity - I like the flicker more than the alternative :D

I did get the usual BSODs when unistalling the previous CRT Emudriver - in my case I needed to boot to safe mode 640x480 then let windows install their stock HD6000 driver which resulted in a 31khz mode AFAIK with my ATOM-15 modded 6670 (a mode which was unusable with a vga lcd monitor for some reason) -> so I needed to re-enable EDID emulation with VMMAKER (even though no crtemudriver was installed anymore - or maybe parts of it anyways) and then the update would work. Weird but it worked for me 2 times now...

Calamity

• Offline Offline
  • Quote me with care
I did get the usual BSODs when unistalling the previous CRT Emudriver

This is odd, I've done this operation over and over with different cards on W7/8/8.1 and never saw a BSOD. Are you using Windows 10?
Steps to create a log:

haynor666

• Offline Offline
  • retro maniac
I had only BSOD on windows 10 x64 and only when I tried update CRT emu driver 12.6 to 16.2.1. When I tried update default driver taken from microsoft to 16.2.1 everything was fine.

keropi

• Offline Offline
win7 x64 SP1 - it's a dedicated pc in my cab so it doesn't get usage other than that - and no other problems with it. I guess it's just bad luck or something.
I also disabled the AMD EXTERNAL EVENTS service , is this still a thing?

Next time I will try to revert to ms-driver, then run the crtemu setup and see what happens  ;)
« Last Edit: December 05, 2017, 11:25:54 am by keropi »

imtrashed

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 03, 2020, 02:47:10 pm
Does CRT Emudriver only work with 64 bit windows?  Getting an error trying to install on Windows 7 32 bit and wondering if that's the problem. Is it possible to install this and run on 32 bit system?

haynor666

• Offline Offline
  • retro maniac
It's only for Windows 7 x64.

imtrashed

• Offline Offline
I'm about to throw this PC out the window.  So frustrated.  Trying to get it running through an arcade monitor.  Can't get ArcadeVGA working (possibly because it's a Dell PC with integrated video).  Can't loan CRT Emudriver (because it's the 32-bit version of Windows 7).  Do I have any other options for running this through the arcade monitor, or should I find a buyer for this cab/monitor? 

haynor666

• Offline Offline
  • retro maniac
Reinstall system and use the same key, should work.

imtrashed

• Offline Offline
Reinstall system and use the same key, should work.
UGH.  Maybe I'll go that route.  I just don't relish the idea of having to set EVERYTHING up all over again.  This time, I'll be smart about only putting the OS on one hard drive and everything MAME/Hyperspin/arcade related on the second hard drive. 

Calamity

• Offline Offline
  • Quote me with care
I just don't relish the idea of having to set EVERYTHING up all over again.  This time, I'll be smart about only putting the OS on one hard drive and everything MAME/Hyperspin/arcade related on the second hard drive.

It's the video thing the first issue you should solve right after OS installation. Everything else, frontends, etc. is secondary stuff. With regards to 32bits, it makes little sense to build a MAME machine based on a 32 bits OS, the performance way better on 64 bits.
Steps to create a log:

imtrashed

• Offline Offline
I just don't relish the idea of having to set EVERYTHING up all over again.  This time, I'll be smart about only putting the OS on one hard drive and everything MAME/Hyperspin/arcade related on the second hard drive.

It's the video thing the first issue you should solve right after OS installation. Everything else, frontends, etc. is secondary stuff. With regards to 32bits, it makes little sense to build a MAME machine based on a 32 bits OS, the performance way better on 64 bits.
I agree.  Didn't even realize this PC (which was sitting with just a clean Windows install in a closet for months) was 32 bit.  Started fiddling with all of this MAME stuff and got everything all set up before realizing the shortcomings/limitations.  Will be easy enough to do it all over again.  Just time.  Will hopefully give CRT Emudriver another shot by the end of the weekend.  Thanks for your help thus far.  I'm sure I'll be leaning on you again soon. 

Calamity

• Offline Offline
  • Quote me with care
CRT Tools - composite sync from boot!

[23/12/2017]ATOM-15 v1.5

- Added support for composite sync.
    - Reduced BIOS hook size by 40 bytes, now only 532 bytes of blank space are required.

[23/12/2017][CRT Emudriver 2.0][CRT Tools 2.0][beta 12]

- [VMMaker]    Added support for composite sync.
  - [Emudriver]  New fix to allow stable support for composite sync for legacy cards (only applies to package based on Catalyst 12.6).
Steps to create a log:

Calamity

• Offline Offline
  • Quote me with care
Some notes about the new composite sync feature

- Just like any other feature, composite sync support can be enabled independently for boot time (BIOS mod with ATOM-15) and for Windows (with VMMaker).

- In order to enable composite sync right from boot, you have to check the corresponding option in ATOM-15 and flash your video card with the modified BIOS. Composite sync will be applied to all available outputs, so that's something you may need to consider depending on your setup.

- Regarding Windows, first of all, an important warning: enabling composite sync may be a tricky business. Even if you know what you're doing chances are you get into a messed video state at some point of the process. Once you get everything right it should work fine forever, you just need to get there. I recommend to always work with two monitors during the process and only enable composite sync to the secondary monitor (the one you're not working with) so in case anything goes wrong you don't get an unusable display. If anything went wrong and you can't find your way around a messed display, you can boot in same mode and uninstall the driver.

- There's a new button in VMMaker's video card tab that allows you to toggle composite sync for the currently selected output.

- Again, HD 5000+ cards are easier to setup for composite sync than legacy ones. Just enable composite sync for the selected output, create the modes and you're done.

- Legacy (pre HD 5000 cards) need some extra steps in order to get correct composite sync:
  • First, to get consistent composite sync behaviour for legacy cards you must update CRT Emudriver (based on 12.6) to the new beta 12 version (this is not required for HD 5000+ cards).
  • You must set both H and V sync polarities to positive for all modes. So after enabling composite sync, you must generate and install all modes again, but first you need to go to the monitor tab to edit your selected monitor preset and modify it with the proper polarities, e.g.:

monitor "arcade_15", "Arcade 15.7 kHz - standard resolution", "4:3"
                    crt_range0 15625-16200, 49.50-65.00, 2.000, 4.700, 8.000, 0.064, 0.192, 1.024, 1, 1, 192, 288, 448, 576

• Finally, still in VMMaker make sure to mark "Export settings to GroovyMAME" in MAME's tab so the correct polarities are used by GroovyMAME.
- If you're using an VGA to BNC cable, remind that composite sync is ouput through the h-sync cable, so if you're using a T connector, unplug the v-sync cable.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2017, 11:21:23 am by Calamity »
Steps to create a log:

Paradroid

• Offline Offline
    • SCART Hunter
Hellz yeah!!! That was fast! :)

Not having to build/buy sync combining gadgets in 2018 is going to ble such a relief. It's one of the most annoying parts of the PC to CRT interfacing process, especially when you know the video card is capable of taking care of it all.

You've excelled yourself! Definitely buying you a beer (via PayPal).

keropi

• Offline Offline
great news :) thanks Calamity
I'll hold off updating to beta12 though, I don't think the c-sync feature will do anything for my j-pac setup :D

Overkill

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 02:10:11 pm
Great work Calamity, thanks for everything. I don't have a PVM anymore, i use an Scart TV with Arcadeforge  UMSA - Ultimate SCART Adapter. Now i want to use the new composite sync feature and put aside the UMSA. So which cable will i need? A regular VGA to scart with only the H-sync connected to pin 20? With the UMSA i got a rolling picture on a HD 6450 with the Composite sync enabled.

Edit: So i just modified an old scart to vga cable from a projector and works fine on my Philips CM8833, but on the scart tv don't, i think i need 5v on it
« Last Edit: December 24, 2017, 03:51:10 pm by Overkill »

keropi

• Offline Offline
Yes, the rgb enable voltage pin is essential for tv sets, a 1084 doesn't use it or the aspect ratio one since they are dedicated monitors.