Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: BYOAC Talking Dead - Walking Dead Season 5  (Read 52696 times)

thomas_surles

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 19, 2023, 07:20:00 pm
Re: BYOAC Talking Dead - Walking Dead Season 5
« Reply #40 on: October 23, 2014, 10:03:27 am »
About cannibalism: just for a side field trip, watch the movie "The Road". Last time I checked it was available on Netflix. Not a movie about zombies, but will make you think about what could happen if the world breaks down.
I liked that movie.

HaRuMaN

• Supreme Solder King
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+45)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 07:37:53 pm
  • boom
    • Arcade Madness
« Reply #41 on: October 23, 2014, 10:09:41 am »
About cannibalism: just for a side field trip, watch the movie "The Road". Last time I checked it was available on Netflix. Not a movie about zombies, but will make you think about what could happen if the world breaks down.
I liked that movie.

I liked it, but it was fairly depressing...

jdbailey1206

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 11, 2023, 01:32:56 pm
  • No. It's your top score on Pole Position.
« Reply #42 on: October 23, 2014, 11:39:47 am »
Fairly?  My wife saw the movie and she said the book was 10x more graphic.

horizon

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 09, 2015, 05:58:48 pm
  • They've gone plaid!
« Reply #43 on: October 23, 2014, 02:16:19 pm »
So to the point about Bob killing off the other people:

Everyone already has the virus.  The guy at the CDC told Rick, who confirmed it with the death of Shane.  How does eating someone bitten cause death?  Hershel was bitten, had his leg amputated, and survived, right?

dkersten

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 12, 2024, 11:47:30 am
  • If you are gonna do it, do it right..
« Reply #44 on: October 23, 2014, 02:27:58 pm »
Book was better, but his stuff is hard to read.. many of his books he uses no punctuation, no paragraphs, and ignores just about every rule of the English language.  The Road at least has paragraphs, commas, and periods.  No quotes though, so you pretty much have to guess when someone is speaking.. I liked that the book took something of a realistic view on how life would be after a major apocalyptic event.  But it wasn't much fun because it was so dark and depressing.  The best part about a post-apocalyptic story is the hope of rebuilding humanity.  Take away hope and you just have a depressing story set in the last hours of humanity's existence.. *yawn*

As for WD (spoilers ahead), at first I thought the thing with Bob was that he was scratched or bit, but then the way the terminus guy was talking to him suggested that maybe he had led the group to terminus (albeit inadvertently) and perhaps had actually been sent out to find groups to lead to terminus.  I seem to recall last season he mentioned he had been with more than one group in the past...

I do wish they put more effort into the whole "infected" thing though.. So everyone is infected, but getting a scratch or bite turns you into a zombie right away.. So if they are swimming in a flooded basement full of zombie juice, killing them in the water and filling the water with more infected zombie juices, and they have scratches and cuts all over their body (from the last big fight), wouldn't that be no different than getting scratched or bit by a zombie?  It creates a disconnect in the logic, destroys the suspension of disbelief, and makes whether or not Bob was scratched kind of irrelevant to ponder.. Either they will make him infected enough to turn without dying first, or they won't, and you can't use any kind of logic to make an assumption ahead of time because the rules are inconsistent..

So throwing out any logic whatsoever, I am thinking a couple possible story lines with Bob:
1) he is infected and was gonna die anyway, not he is getting eaten too.  Poor Bob.
2) he was part of terminus to begin with, met Rick's crew and was supposed to lead them back but decided he didn't like those guys and is now getting eaten by them because he "went rogue"
3) he is infected and now that they are eating his infected flesh, they will all get sick and turn..

I didn't read the stories so I don't know if Bob has any significance there, not that it really matters for the show..

Vigo

• the Scourage of Carpathia
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+24)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 21, 2024, 08:20:28 am
« Reply #45 on: October 23, 2014, 02:33:49 pm »
They showed that in terminus they were carefully separating the meats and had a meticulous system. They either know there is a danger, or are at least scared of the possibility and taking a number of precautions. I'd assume cooking it thoroughly would probably kill the virus off. Were those Bob burgers served medium rare or well-done?

jdbailey1206

• Offline Offline
« Reply #46 on: October 23, 2014, 02:37:04 pm »
So to the point about Bob killing off the other people:

Everyone already has the virus.  The guy at the CDC told Rick, who confirmed it with the death of Shane.  How does eating someone bitten cause death?  Hershel was bitten, had his leg amputated, and survived, right?

But Herschel was bitten in the leg and it was swiftly amputaded.  We dont know where Bob was bitten and the virus had time to course through his body.  Thus infecting everything.  Even his peg.  Which was then transfered to the termites.

horizon

• Offline Offline
  • They've gone plaid!
« Reply #47 on: October 23, 2014, 02:37:20 pm »
Maybe I am just not remembering people turning fast from a bite.  I just remember people bleeding out quickly from cuts to the throat or hips, near your major arteries, and ending up dead quickly from that.  So being bitten by a walker speeds up the death?  But no matter how you die, you will turn eventually.

dkersten

• Offline Offline
« Reply #48 on: October 23, 2014, 06:18:55 pm »
That's the big hole in the show.. they are already infected, so getting scratched or bit shouldn't matter.. They should have said that everyone is infected with a mutated version that turns you when you die, but the walkers have a different strain that will turn you right away if you get scratched or bitten by them (or something along those lines).  But then even that wouldn't explain how they could be swimming in zombie juice with scratches and cuts all over their bodies from recent fights and not get infected with the part that will turn you right away...  It just doesn't make sense, and they are patching that hole by just making it up as they go, not explaining anything.  You get scratched or bitten and you turn, but get zombie blood, guts, saliva, or anything on an existing cut and you don't...

Once they defined a rule, they need to stick with it or they break the story.  I am trying hard to just ignore it and pretty much ignore the zombies because I don't even think they matter much any more.  They are the environment, and you just adjust to an environment to survive.  This show is more about the struggle of humans in an environment where there is no inherent safety and no law to bring repercussions to those who do evil.  Rick said it to his son in the last episode: you just don't get to let your guard down any more, ever, no matter what.  That is what the environment has done, it has made it so you need to be vigilant every second of your life or you will die.  And the story is about how to survive and make a life in that environment.  They could have made it monsters, rabid animals, aliens, or ghosts and the story would not need to change.  They are trying too hard to keep the show about zombies and not about the human condition, and they need to either give it up or start defining the specifics.

Just my opinion though, lol..

dkersten

• Offline Offline
« Reply #49 on: October 23, 2014, 06:31:54 pm »
Maybe I am just not remembering people turning fast from a bite.  I just remember people bleeding out quickly from cuts to the throat or hips, near your major arteries, and ending up dead quickly from that.  So being bitten by a walker speeds up the death?  But no matter how you die, you will turn eventually.
Yes, basically what they are saying is being bitten or scratched makes you deathly sick and in a matter of hours you die and turn.  But since they are already infected, it doesn't make any sense. 

In the first two seasons there were a bunch of examples of people getting bitten or scratched and dying from it.  Since then, once someone is bit, the rest of the crew either shoots them or just leaves them to be eaten because they are gonna turn even if the bites don't kill them.  Hershel made it because they chopped the leg off before it had a chance to get to the rest of his body, but they still watched him to see if he would get the fever and turn. 

They don't talk about it anymore because it is just assumed that it is understood.  After each fight they ask each other if they are OK, and are really asking "did you get bit or scratched".. No need to take another half of a show to watch someone get a fever and die a few hours later, it is better to just rip necks open, stick knives in their brains, and other crazy gruesome stuff like that..

fallacy

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 23, 2024, 12:27:45 am
« Reply #50 on: October 23, 2014, 11:50:23 pm »
Are you serious dKersten.  Do you have an idea how much suspense of disbelief you have to give this show for people with the IQ over an egg muffin. We are suppose to believe the whole world was taken over by stupid slow moving…..
Never mind none of that matters.

In Walking Dead

The entire world is only as big as Georgia

Nothing happened before and during the zombie attacks, no news was given and everyone apparently died in like one day; The survivors do not know what’s going on at all. They might as well woken up one morning and the world turned into “The Road”

vehicles are hard to come by, they get lost. They also cannot just run over zombies like bowling pins in a truck, that would make humans overpowered and that would be no fun.

Zombies are dying in droves every day, not that many are being made. They are getting stuck in places or fall over and can't get back up,  but there are always an infinite number of them walking around freely and as long as this show is on the air there always will be.

No one needs to drink water, what is dehydration?

Vehicles are a rare unicorn but Bullets are infinite, no matter what you are doing or how long you have been doing it when you go to shoot that gun there will be bullets in it no need to worry about that.

Could go on, Watch your free show and STFU.

horizon

• Offline Offline
  • They've gone plaid!
« Reply #51 on: October 24, 2014, 12:10:26 pm »
I dont even know where to start with the above post.

So, anyway.  I'm pretty confident (having read no books) that Bob was plinked for ties to Terminus, but what i don't understand is how Darryl couldn't find any tracks.  When did the Terminus group get ninja-like in anti-spore detection?

ChadTower

• Chief Kicker - Nobody's perfect, including me. Fantastic body.
  • Trade Count: (+12)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 19, 2022, 12:01:54 pm
« Reply #52 on: October 24, 2014, 01:00:06 pm »
  I would think the safest bet would be securing a fruit orchard with canning equipment, since this is Georgia, I assume there would be plenty of peach orchards.

If this were actually Georgia everything everywhere would be wrapped up in 100ft of kudzu by now.  The walkers would be completely secured in vines and every building not surrounded by concrete would be unusable.  There would be no nice open woodlands for them to walk around in.  They would NEVER find an abandoned house surrounded by vegetation.  Kudzu overtakes abandoned structures within months in some parts of Georgia.

Of course, Kudzu can be processed into both biofuel and food, so they also wouldn't be completely starving all the time and would have fuel for lanterns and such.

dkersten

• Offline Offline
« Reply #53 on: October 24, 2014, 01:04:48 pm »
Hell with it, I will bite:
Are you serious dKersten.  Do you have an idea how much suspense of disbelief you have to give this show for people with the IQ over an egg muffin. We are suppose to believe the whole world was taken over by stupid slow moving…..
Never mind none of that matters.
The point of my post wasn't to say that this show is 100% solid, but the rule in story telling is to create a suspension of disbelief by explaining things with things that are plausible, and when you can't do that, either use a plausible explanation that can't be disproved (ie doesn't exist but makes sense if it did), or just leave it alone and pretend that everyone understands that this is just how it is.  It is when you try to explain something and then base the story line on that explanation that you get into trouble. 

Frankly, if you took the time to explain every detail with only facts that apply to our universe as we know them today (ie reality), you would have a really boring show that was more of a non-fiction "what if" story than an actual fun to watch tv show.  If you could even create a story to begin with.

I know what you are getting at with the slow moving zombies, but they didn't mess with how it started or spread so fast.  They started AFTER the fact, and you just make some assumptions of the chaos that reigned.  The one thing they did reveal was that everyone was infected, which would suggest it is airborne, so when you don't know what is going on, you end up with zombies where you least expect.  In the beginning they aren't so slow and easy to kill.  And when you don't know how to kill them, or what is going on, you aren't going to be reacting by putting bullets in your wife's head, you are going to seek answers and end up getting eaten by some zombie horde.  Is it realistic?  Who cares, it happened in this story and this is the setting. 

In Walking Dead

The entire world is only as big as Georgia
This is the story of one group of people in one area.  If they made this show about every place on earth, they would have to make it about every person on earth.  This group has not traveled extensively far because where are they going to go?  any major roadway is clogged with cars, no passage there.  That leaves back roads and forests that are filled with millions of zombies.

Nothing happened before and during the zombie attacks, no news was given and everyone apparently died in like one day; The survivors do not know what’s going on at all. They might as well woken up one morning and the world turned into “The Road”
As I said above, you don't know the whole story, only a small glimpse as told by one man and the people he meets.  One man who was in a coma when it all happened.  Any place that made a stand was soon overrun by zombies from the inside because nobody knew to shoot the dead in the head.

vehicles are hard to come by, they get lost. They also cannot just run over zombies like bowling pins in a truck, that would make humans overpowered and that would be no fun.

Every time the cast needs a vehicle they go get one.  In the last episode they are in the middle of the forest with no roads around, no towns in sight, and no supplies like gas and batteries.  So they say they need to find a car.  And they do.  But they have a large group, so they need larger transportation.  AND they need something that won't get bogged down when plowing through zombies.. Most vehicles might be able to get up to speed and plow through a group of people, possibly 15 or 20 people deep before they run out of momentum and the power to keep going..  Imagine trying to do that with a horde of 10,000 people.. you would get 40 feet in and then be surrounded.. the ones you knocked down are undead and get right back up and now you are surrounded with no way to escape.  Brilliant idea, just mow them down.

Zombies are dying in droves every day, not that many are being made. They are getting stuck in places or fall over and can't get back up,  but there are always an infinite number of them walking around freely and as long as this show is on the air there always will be.
Say there are 500 people left alive in Georgia, before the zombies there were 10 million.  So only 9 million, 999 thousand, 500 people zombies left over.  Have you ever seen a crowd of, say, 10,000? Like at a concert or something?  There would be 1000 hordes of that many zombies running around.  And even if there are only 100 hordes of that size, that would leave thousands of groups of 10-100 zombies, and still have room left for thousands upon thousands of extra zombies running around.  I think in the show they have portrayed maybe 1000 zombies total on the actual camera shots, and maybe inferred another few thousand.  They might have killed 500 or even 1000 of those.  So they have shown off a fraction of a fraction of a percent of the total zombie population JUST IN GEORGIA.  Not to mention the other few hundred million undead roaming the rest of the U.S., and the 7 BILLION roaming the world.  PLUS, the show can only afford to dress up so many people as zombies.  Think of the hordes you saw in World War Z, make them slower but all around the forest you are in the middle of, with huge groups in the towns and massive hordes in the cities.  And they are attracted to sound. 

No one needs to drink water, what is dehydration?
The last episode showed them collecting water.  Just because this isn't done in the style of the reality show "Naked and Afraid" doesn't mean they aren't considering it, just that the show isn't about how to survive, it is about the people and the human condition.

Vehicles are a rare unicorn but Bullets are infinite, no matter what you are doing or how long you have been doing it when you go to shoot that gun there will be bullets in it no need to worry about that.
Have you actually watched this show?  Not only do they only use guns as a last resort because the sound attracts zombies, but they have always been hesitant to use their ammo.  In the current episode they are very short on guns and ammo.  The ONLY thing that has annoyed me here is that Rick's gun uses a rare kind of ammo yet he always has some. 

Besides, this is Georgia, and while I don't live there, they are way more redneck there than up here in Montana where everyone I know has at least 500 rounds on hand right now.  Heck I think I have a couple boxes of 50 rounds of 9mm in my car under a seat somewhere, lol.  Some of my friends (more than I care to admit actually) have over 5000 rounds stocked.  Even with the recent shortages in the stores, ammo is not exactly hard to come by if you know the right people.  If most of the population died off, I could forage my immediate area for 2 hours and come up with 1000 rounds for my pistol quite easily. 

If you are gonna complain about the ammo usage, point out how hard it is to hit the head of a moving target.  They did go over that on one episode, but no matter how much you practice, it still takes rock solid skills to shoot a moving target with perfect accuracy.

Could go on, Watch your free show and STFU.
You could, but it might make you look like more of a jackass.  The show has holes, no question.  The CONCEPT of an apocalypse that wipes out all but a few people has a ton of holes.  But this isn't a guide on what could happen and how exactly it would happen, it is an entertaining show set in a post-apocalyptic environment filled with undead and only a few living people who are trying to survive.  And the story is more about how people would react in a situation like this than it is about what happened to get them there.  If I want to punch more holes I will watch Mythbusters.

It IS a free show, and happens to be the most popular show on TV.  And the writers have to keep that up, which isn't easy, especially when the number of holes is growing every episode.  Their job is making their fans happy and keeping the ratings up.  if they screw it up and piss off enough people by breaking the rules they have established in the story, the show will die.  I like it so I don't want that to happen.  So no, I won't STFU, I will continue to have conversations here and elsewhere about the show I happen to really enjoy.  Why don't you go back to watching CSPAN where you can get your daily dose of reality and leave the fiction shows to those of us who enjoy them.

Have a GREAT day!   :cheers:

Vigo

• the Scourage of Carpathia
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+24)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 21, 2024, 08:20:28 am
« Reply #54 on: October 24, 2014, 01:24:01 pm »
  I would think the safest bet would be securing a fruit orchard with canning equipment, since this is Georgia, I assume there would be plenty of peach orchards.

If this were actually Georgia everything everywhere would be wrapped up in 100ft of kudzu by now.  The walkers would be completely secured in vines and every building not surrounded by concrete would be unusable.  There would be no nice open woodlands for them to walk around in.  They would NEVER find an abandoned house surrounded by vegetation.  Kudzu overtakes abandoned structures within months in some parts of Georgia.

Of course, Kudzu can be processed into both biofuel and food, so they also wouldn't be completely starving all the time and would have fuel for lanterns and such.

I'm pretty sure the zombies are spending their days manicuring lawns and trimming back foliage. There are so many mowed lawns in the show, it is about the only explanation left. I hear zombies even maintain the ice arenas.

AzureKnight

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 29, 2022, 12:22:17 am
« Reply #55 on: October 24, 2014, 02:13:04 pm »

:laugh2: best post yet on this thread!

AzureKnight

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 29, 2022, 12:22:17 am
« Reply #56 on: October 24, 2014, 02:20:43 pm »

Actually...best two posts...the Zomboni is just as funny!

CCM

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 08, 2020, 10:08:27 am
« Reply #57 on: October 24, 2014, 03:36:57 pm »
From the Walking Dead wiki... it doesn't explain eating cooked 'Bob' meat, but it explains bites:

The first cases of infection progressed through a state of fever, aches, and internal bleeding, and this illness ultimately was fatal. As seen on the MRI of Candace Jenner, the virus apparently spreads into the brain like meningitis. It apparently infects synapses, mostly concentrating on those in the brain stem. It eventually causes the adrenal glands to hemorrhage and the brain to shutdown, all brain activity would cease, followed by the major organs and the body would be clinically dead: no measurable brain activity, no reflexes, and no respiration or pulse. A variable time later, the pathogen, through some means, would revive synapses it infected and reactivate the brainstem of the dead body, but only the brainstem and not the cerebrum or cerebellum.

Infection

As previously stated, the zombie pathogen itself is not lethal, and zombie "infection" occurs due to high concentrations of antibiotic-resistant bacteria found in zombies, especially in their mouths. In the Walking Dead universe, every human being on the planet is believed to be infected, suggesting the disease is airborne or waterborne. Any time a human dies they will reanimate, bitten or not, unless their brain is destroyed. It is unknown if getting blood or saliva from zombies into human mouths will cause infection, but it is known that any contact zombie fluids make with open wounds, and possibly a human's eyes, will spread their lethal bacteria throughout the host's body.

In response to:

"Negan recently has his guys dirty up weapons in zombie gore for infection attacks. I'm curious if this works due to "Phillip" kissing a zombie and Tyreese and other characters getting bloody all over their face, but nobody changing. This also made me question Dale's "tainted meat" logic back during the Fear the Hunters arc."

Are you explaining that stuff soon or is Negan unaware of that method probably doing no harm? In other words, can zombie blood or spit change you after apparently having no effect on characters previously?

"The weapons would create an open wound, and getting that material in an open wound and have contact in that way would be bad news. Kissing a zombie, getting stuff on you... not so much. It's more like direct contact with the blood stream. Make sense?"

Symptoms of infection

The first form of the infection was the transmission of the pathogen from an undead host to a living body via bites and scratches. The second form is already contained within all living people, and merely requires the death of the host to activate the zombie condition. The pathogen causing reanimation is not independently fatal and lies dormant within a host until the host dies of another cause. In the case of Walker attacks, the cause of death is generally infection by necrotic biological debris and other infectious agents contained in that debris (for example, saliva from a bite).

Symptoms of this massive and multiple infection include:

Dizziness
    Weakness
    Fever/Delirium/Hallucinations
    Chills
    Nausea/Vomiting.
    Pale skin.
    Dilated pupils.
    Soreness.[8]
    Fluid discharge.
    Spontaneous aggression or anger.
    Fainting.[9]
    Loss of hair and missing scalp pieces.
    Dehydration.[10]
    Coughing up blood.[11]
    Pale yellow sclera (Shown in the Video Game only) [12]

Because of antibiotic resistance or inefficacy, and extremely fast growth rate of said bacteria, immediate amputation of the wounded limb is usually the most effective method of preventing systemic infection that eventually leads to death. Bites to the neck, head, or trunk are invariably fatal and cannot be treated.

If the wound is not properly cauterized, cleaned, and/or wrapped, however, amputation may not be enough to stop the lethal infection without medicine, and even then, survival rates are not easily estimated, as only few individuals have survived the procedure in each medium.

Cobolisdead

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 04, 2017, 08:35:11 am
  • Restoring my 8th arcade machine, Mortal Kombat 2!
« Reply #58 on: October 24, 2014, 11:12:57 pm »

Well, it is actually filmed in Georgia.

dkersten

• Offline Offline
« Reply #59 on: October 26, 2014, 12:25:01 pm »
From the Walking Dead wiki... it doesn't explain eating cooked 'Bob' meat, but it explains bites:
Unfortunately, it doesn't explain swimming in zombie stew with open wounds either.. the more I think about that episode, the more it irritates me.  The moment they showed the basement with the water and the zombies in it, I was thinking "that is a cesspool of infection, if they go in there and get that in their open wounds they are dead" and of course they went in there anyway..

If the pathogen is a bacteria, then I imagine cooking Bob would kill it.. If he is infected at all.. Maybe tonight we will learn more..

thomas_surles

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 19, 2023, 07:20:00 pm
« Reply #60 on: October 26, 2014, 10:54:25 pm »
So that just happened. I guess we don't get to see Carol and Darrell's adventure? Also I think the secret person Darrell has are people he saved from where Beth was.

dkersten

• Offline Offline
« Reply #61 on: October 27, 2014, 10:35:20 am »
Well, that was somewhat cold and psychopathic.. I am a little torn on the way Rick handled that.. "saving bullets" .. hmm.. not too sure about that.  I liked how they lured them in like that and the justice of the first couple that went down, but once you have them disarmed and begging for their lives, it changes from a battle for survival to a question of humanity.  I would also agree, however, that these people were a threat and an abomination, and had to die, but to hack and beat them to death instead of a swift bullet in the back of the head... a little too much revenge and not so much about justice.  But I guess you gotta ask yourself, is it more civil than lining them up at a trough and hitting them in the back of the head one by one before slitting their throats?  Particularly while the others watched it happening, knowing they were next?

I guess the only thing that really bugs me is that I believe that Rick should have taken the high road on this one and executed them a little more honorably.  And less psychopathically.  You gotta look back at the farm and how Shane wanted to kill the kid, but Rick thought it was wrong.. Looks like he has turned into Shane after all...

dkersten

• Offline Offline
« Reply #62 on: October 27, 2014, 10:45:11 am »
Couple notes.. obviously spoilers, but I think this whole thread is a spoiler, so don't read the thread if you haven't watched the most recent show.. :)

First, tainted meat.. lol

Second, when they discovered Bob, someone shot a zombie in front of Rick.  Why would that be the cannibals?  I think it is Morgan who shot..

Third, when the shot came from the forest, Rick turns and empties his gun into the forest.  But per my last post, when they ambushed them, they claimed to be saving bullets...  Lends to the whole psychopathic execution.  They could spare a few more bullets to do what had to be done instead of butchering them.. The looks they got from their own friends said a lot about how they felt too..

Now some speculation about next week:  Do you think that whoever kidnapped Beth is experimenting on people, looking for a cure?
And do you think that maybe Daryl found Morgan in the forest?

horizon

• Offline Offline
  • They've gone plaid!
« Reply #63 on: October 27, 2014, 01:41:31 pm »
I feel as though dkersten's response about the human condition, and the breaking thereof, persists here.  Back when they were in the prison, would they have hacked these guys for not being peaceful?  Probably not, they would have put a bullet in their head.  When they were escaping Terminus, Rick wanted to make sure they all died.  They deserved to die for what they were doing, which was essentially recruiting cannibals, and slaughtering the rest.

Then they attacked one of their own.  And cut off his leg.  And ate it in front of him.  This was all relayed to the group when Bob was able to talk.  That's your breaking point of when the Terminus group stopped being human bullies/"bad people", and became monsters.  It was completely eye for an eye, and savage, and for a reason.  I dont think it was psychotic, per se, because this was the most real threat they have faced, and the most sinister, since leaving Atlanta, imo.

I happen to think the spoiler tag is fun as ---steaming pile of meadow muffin--- and Im going to keep using it.  ;D

dkersten

• Offline Offline
« Reply #64 on: October 27, 2014, 03:33:19 pm »
Do you think what they did to Bob was the breaking point?  I thought it was the trough..

But perhaps the Bob incident would be fuel for that rage that already exists. 

horizon

• Offline Offline
  • They've gone plaid!
« Reply #65 on: October 27, 2014, 05:03:34 pm »
The trough, IMO, broke Rick.  He wanted to slaughter everyone there, and make them suffer for who they are.

What they did to Bob was the breaking point for the whole group.

Cobolisdead

• Offline Offline
« Reply #66 on: October 28, 2014, 08:43:13 am »
I don't think that the Terminus survivors got mistreated. They left their humanity behind long ago, and Rick didn't think that they deserved quick clean deaths, and he had a promise to keep.

While I am sad to see him leave the show, Bob nailed this episode perfectly. They capture the essence of the story arc from the comics perfectly here. I don't like them splitting the party, but I get that they had to do this to wait for the others to show up. My predictions, Daryl returns with Beth and at least one new person. I am sure that the next episode will lead right up to where this one left off, so we shall see.

DaOld Man

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 13, 2023, 12:03:14 am
  • Wheres my coffee?
    • Skenny's Outpost
« Reply #67 on: October 28, 2014, 01:37:48 pm »
Good show.
Im saddened that I have to work next sunday night so I will miss that episode so needless to say I will not be reading this thread until after a catch a rerun of next episode.
Rick promised the terminus guy that he would kill him with a machete, and that is what he did (Cabolisdead is relating to this in his last post I think).
I think Rick is loosing it slowly. Look how he acted in prison when he became farmer rick.
But who could blame him?
Aside from the insane world they all live in now, Rick found out his wife was cheating on him when she thought he was dead. He didn't know for sure if the baby was his.
He had to kill his deputy, which could have been from hatred for the guy screwing his wife and also trying to take ricks role as leader from him.
Then he looses his wife.
Then Carl starts getting all bat crap crazy with him.
Then he thinks he lost his baby.
Almost beat to death by the guvner.
I just wonder if Rick is fit to be a leader, and he may give up that role later.

dkersten

• Offline Offline
« Reply #68 on: October 28, 2014, 02:15:27 pm »
I forgot about his promise to use the machete to kill him.  That puts it more into perspective.  Still could have used bullets for the other guys, beating them to death sort of puts the group in the same category as the cannibals. 

I look forward to next week, I want to see what the deal with Beth is.  This show is awesome but it was in dire need of a new story line. 

horizon

• Offline Offline
  • They've gone plaid!
« Reply #69 on: October 28, 2014, 03:09:57 pm »
I forgot about his promise to use the machete to kill him.  That puts it more into perspective.  Still could have used bullets for the other guys, beating them to death sort of puts the group in the same category as the cannibals. 

I look forward to next week, I want to see what the deal with Beth is.  This show is awesome but it was in dire need of a new story line.

I think, with the church basically being an unsecured location, not using bullets was the smart move.  How they decided to finish off the group was the less-humane part of it all.  I can align with how they handle the situation, and will go as far as to say, from the mental state I could see between Rick, Sasha, and the ginger military guy, Im not surprise and would probably react similarly.

Mitkraft

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 30, 2015, 03:04:41 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #70 on: October 28, 2014, 03:55:00 pm »

See this is a perspective I just don't understand.  When someone eats your friend, you kill them...HARD!  LOL.  Seriously, there is no level of torture or kill that would have been too much for these people.  They were monsters!  I do understand how the writers were obviously trying to foreshadow something and maybe imply that the group is loosing it themselves with the extreme brutality that was used.  But from the perspective of the group I just see it as appropriate given the situation.

jdbailey1206

• Offline Offline
« Reply #71 on: October 28, 2014, 03:55:29 pm »
« Last Edit: October 28, 2014, 04:22:29 pm by jdbailey1206 »

dkersten

• Offline Offline
« Reply #72 on: October 28, 2014, 04:58:22 pm »

See this is a perspective I just don't understand.  When someone eats your friend, you kill them...HARD!  LOL.  Seriously, there is no level of torture or kill that would have been too much for these people.  They were monsters!  I do understand how the writers were obviously trying to foreshadow something and maybe imply that the group is loosing it themselves with the extreme brutality that was used.  But from the perspective of the group I just see it as appropriate given the situation.
So, you think this was purely revenge and not because they figured that these people were still a threat?  Or just that the way they killed them was revenge, the fact they had to kill them was for their own safety? 

Don't get me wrong, I can't even imagine the hatred toward these people and I am happy they got what was coming to them, but even so, when the guns are down and you are having a conversation, chopping someone to pieces like that takes a certain kind of disconnect from humanity.  It is one thing to do this in a fight, but to end the fight, cool off, talk things out, and THEN still do this, that is the definition of "cold blooded killing".  But I guess revenge is best served cold, huh..

Mitkraft

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 30, 2015, 03:04:41 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #73 on: October 28, 2014, 06:07:35 pm »
So, you think this was purely revenge and not because they figured that these people were still a threat?  Or just that the way they killed them was revenge, the fact they had to kill them was for their own safety?

I think it was all of the above.  I just don't think you can fault them for how they did it given what the termites had done. 

Don't get me wrong, I can't even imagine the hatred toward these people and I am happy they got what was coming to them, but even so, when the guns are down and you are having a conversation, chopping someone to pieces like that takes a certain kind of disconnect from humanity.  It is one thing to do this in a fight, but to end the fight, cool off, talk things out, and THEN still do this, that is the definition of "cold blooded killing".  But I guess revenge is best served cold, huh..

I don't disagree with any of that.  But I think its justifiable and doesn't mean they were bad or wrong for doing it the way they did.  Thinking so seems like too much Yoda thinking to me. [Yoda] Fear leads to anger; anger leads to hate; hate leads to suffering.[/Yoda]

Malenko

• KNEEL BEFORE ZODlenko!
  • Trade Count: (+58)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 26, 2024, 07:29:48 pm
  • Have you played with my GingerBalls?
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,142404.msg1475162.html
« Reply #74 on: October 29, 2014, 10:31:56 am »
I think the "saving bullets" line was just meant to sound cool and shouldn't be taken literally. Besides, they took the termites guns after the slaughter so they had more guns and ammo, and Rick had to keep his promise. In addition to that they buried the bodies, they didn't just leave them out to be zombie food. Even if they did that as to try and not attract Zombies to the church, it still shows some semblance of humanity.

I do think they need to start moving towards a finale or way to end the zombie plague or people, myself included, will lose interest in the show. When they start talking about the contest for the next season's premier it sort of takes away some of the tension of the current season. Of course, they aren't afraid to kill off main characters in this series.  :dunno
« Last Edit: October 29, 2014, 01:12:22 pm by Malenko »
If you're replying to a troll you are part of the problem.
I also need to follow this advice. Ignore or report, don't reply.

Cobolisdead

• Offline Offline
« Reply #75 on: October 29, 2014, 12:44:28 pm »
If you think that death was brutal. I can't wait for you guys to see Lucille!

shponglefan

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 15, 2022, 07:22:35 am
  • Correct horse battery staple
« Reply #76 on: October 29, 2014, 01:09:28 pm »
Haven't started watching Season 5 yet.  I started losing interest back in Season 4; the pacing of this show has been a chronic issue and they don't seem to be getting any better.

So how is Season 5 thus far compared to prior seasons?  Better than 4 at least?

ChadTower

• Chief Kicker - Nobody's perfect, including me. Fantastic body.
  • Trade Count: (+12)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 19, 2022, 12:01:54 pm
« Reply #77 on: October 29, 2014, 05:26:01 pm »
Well, it is actually filmed in Georgia.

But not in parts of Georgia that have been abandoned for a couple of years.

jdbailey1206

• Offline Offline
« Reply #78 on: October 29, 2014, 08:06:44 pm »
Yes the show gets tedious at times.  Try reading the comics.  Its like William Faulkner wrote a comic.  Im starting to head away from the comics.  I get bummed when I pay $2.99 and all I read is the group philosiphing or walking through an area for a whole comic. 

Cobolisdead

• Offline Offline
« Reply #79 on: October 30, 2014, 12:33:02 pm »
Haven't started watching Season 5 yet.  I started losing interest back in Season 4; the pacing of this show has been a chronic issue and they don't seem to be getting any better.

So how is Season 5 thus far compared to prior seasons?  Better than 4 at least?

Season 4 was pretty good to watch if you watched it as one large chunk off of Netflix. It just isn't a good show to watch week to week, especially in the early seasons. That being said, Season 5 has been a nonstop ride for the most part, and I have really enjoyed it.