Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Vigolix Green Invader Cabinet  (Read 79194 times)

DeLuSioNal29

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 20, 2023, 11:39:06 pm
  • Build the impossible -"There is no Spoon"
    • DeLuSioNaL's YouTube Videos
Vigolix Green Invader Cabinet
« on: October 07, 2014, 05:33:09 pm »
Hi all,

Some of you may be familiar with my prior two Green Invader Cabinets (Never posted a thread yet, but I did document them on my You tube channel here.  After building a "Frankenpanel" years ago, I wanted something simpler in design.  My design has evolved over time and I think it finally found the perfect fit with the Vigolix design.  That said, I also wanted something that I could sell locally to friends and family.  First thing I did of course, was to check with Vigo since it was his original design that inspired me.  He gave me the thumbs up to sell them if I wished.  I also was inspired by DrChek's "The Spike" which had a couple of improvements as well.  Dr Chek's Sketchup model was a ton of help!

Vigo's original design (with blueprints):  http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=119533.0
DrCheck's modified plans (which I based the majority of my design on) in Sketchup format:  Download it here.

I give you:  Vigolix Invader

Here are some additional ones that I built in blue and orange:

I decided to build mine with MDF as opposed to plywood since I wanted a more "solid" feel (MDF is heavier).  I'm glad I did.  I started by measuring all of my cut lines.  Although I used a jigsaw, I was able to cut them fairly straight with the help of a clamping straight edge guide.  However, for the smaller pieces I ended up doing those freehand and they turned out well.   :applaud:

I then clamped the pieces together and used an orbital sander to even them out.  (I used 80 grit to make them even and then 220 grit to smooth them out).  I've since invested in a router with a straight edge bit for my future projects which should work much better.

Originally, I had mounted the kickplate piece at an angle, but then I later changed the design to be flush with the 2 x 6 piece that I mounted at the bottom.  It worked out great in the end with more leg room for adults.

I also had wanted to try to squeeze my 20" 4:3 LCD in there (I had cut the center piece to be 18" instead of 16") but it needed to be taller for that.  So I ended up saving the 20" for a future build.  The 17" screen ended up working nicely and I stuck with Vigo's original plans of the 16" width.   :applaud:

I assembled a "prototype version" of the cabinet with Happ controls.  My son is in the pic testing it out.  It worked great, but it didn't look right to me.  I decided the Viewlix Japanese style deserved Japanese hardware.   ;D

« Last Edit: May 26, 2017, 01:38:46 pm by DeLuSioNal29 »
Stop by my Youtube channel and leave a comment:

DeLuSioNal29

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
Re: Vigolix Invader Cabinet by DeLuSioNaL29
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2014, 05:33:22 pm »
Now that everything was assembled and tested, I broke it down to prime it.  I used latex paint for the first time.  I usually use Satin Rustoleum Black on my cabs, but I wanted to paint the edges Galaxian Green and I couldn't find any oil based white paint to mix.  (It's not good to mix water based and oil based paints - It will end up peeling over time).  So latex it was.  I had the primer dyed with a grey hue to make the black go on easier.  The Galaxian green (to mimic T-molding) was color matched at Home Depot from the original T-molding scraps I had left over from my prior projects.

For the marquee, I originally printed out a color version on 11" x 17" paper, but the colors weren't as vibrant as I wanted.  So I bit the bullet and ordered it from GameOnGrafix.com, along with the CPO graphics.  I'm glad I did.  They did a great job as usual.  I ordered multiple sets since I plan on making others.  I plan to make a pink version for my God Daughter as well in the future with a bright pink Sanwa balltop and "painted" T-molding trim to match.  :o

To keep both the marquee, clear plexi and tinted plexi bezel in place, I got creative and bought a drop ceiling cross piece, cut it down to size, spray painted it black and attached it to the upper marquee piece of MDF.  The tinted plexi (from TAPP plastics) fit right into the groove that I cut on the CP and is held in place by the bracket.  To top off the marquee, I bought clear edge guards for a couple of dollars and sprayed and cut those as well.

Here is a pic with the monitor mounted and marquee in place.  You can see the notch that I cut in the CP there as well.

As for the bezel, the posterboard was not cutting it (seen in the pic above with my son using Happ controls), so I decided to use tinted plexi.  Since you could see through it around the edges, I sprayed the edges black on the back side.  First I mounted it and marked the edges of the monitor with painter's tape.  Then I flipped it to the back and put the painter's tape on the INSIDE of those markings.  Then I filled the rest with newspaper.  the result was a perfect bezel.

« Last Edit: October 07, 2014, 07:10:32 pm by DeLuSioNal29 »

DeLuSioNal29

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2014, 05:33:37 pm »
For the Control Panel, I wanted to do something similar to my 2 player vertical "Green Invader Re-boot" cabinet.  But I needed to make it  A) 1 Player  B) 4-way.

I had tried only having 2 buttons, since I had a 60 in 1 PCB in there.  But I wanted it to "look" like a Japanese arcade with the curved layout.  With only 2 buttons it didn't look the same.  Also, I wanted to be able to use the 3rd button when in the service menu.  Last but not least, if I ever want to upgrade the 60 in 1 to an 8-way shmup multiboard, the extra button would be already cut.  (The joystick is currently in 4 way mode for the classics games).

I installed a 4-way vinyl decal for the joystick (Thanks to SlammedNiss who does GREAT work).  He custom designed a 4-way decal from the 8-way version.  If I ever upgrade to an 8-way I can always switch the decal out, which is why I chose to not incorporate it in to the CPO artwork.   :)

Here is the 60-in1 PCB mounted in the back.  I cut all unused wires from the Jamma harness, including the power wires, since I was powering it up from a Molex power adapter.  In the third pic, I cleaned up the exposed end with electrical tape.  Looks nice and tidy.

Here is the Molex power adapter that I used.  I chose going this route to power the PCB for two reasons.   1)  I didn't want 110v screw terminals from a switching power supply exposed for kids/adults to touch and get shocked (back of Vigolix is exposed).  2)  I originally used a PC ATX power supply but I hated the sound of the fan.  This new molex power adapter was completely silent.  Paired with the 60-in-1, the Vigolix Invader cab is COMPLETELY SILENT.   :applaud:

I crimped .110 connectors to the controls and then soldered the wires to those crimps.  I then decided to solder the crimps to the joystick and buttons since the underside of the panel was exposed.  I didn't want anything knocked loose while playing.

Here is a pic of my son playing the Vigolix Invader with the new Sanwa controls (GameOnGrafix.com artwork had not been applied yet and the tinted plexi had not been spray painted from the back just yet).
« Last Edit: February 12, 2016, 05:27:14 pm by DeLuSioNal29 »

DeLuSioNal29

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2014, 05:33:51 pm »
I'll eventually post a video the Vigolix Invader in action, but in the meantime here are the finished pics (I also plan on adding a white Space Invader decal to the black start button on top, it's on it's way via shipment.  I will update this thread once it's applied).  Also, not shown is CraftyMech's SLG device which creates scanlines and looks beautiful on the LCD.  I'll try to update pics of that later as well.

Hope you like it!

DeLuSioNaL29
« Last Edit: October 07, 2014, 07:15:48 pm by DeLuSioNal29 »

Generic Eric

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 05, 2024, 09:02:23 am
  • Restore! Don't maim for MAME, build from scratch!
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,143226.0.html
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2014, 10:11:10 pm »
Nice and clean!

BobA

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 11, 2018, 09:52:14 pm
  • What Me Worry?
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2014, 10:46:21 pm »
Looks great. Nice clean lines and produced with a minimum of materials.

pbj

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 12:01:53 am
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2014, 10:47:18 pm »
Yet another BYOAC moderator profiting off blatantly illegal products.

:cheers:

ed12

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 31, 2018, 03:44:39 pm
  • it is what it is..."Nobody Said It Was Easy"....
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2014, 11:05:39 pm »
i have 1 question for u pbj..what part this is illegal?
69-in-1 board's are sold all day long
same with 39-in-1 board's
so my point stand's what part of the is illegal ?
seem's to me he asked for permision from the cab designer and origanl builder
both said go for gold,i am sure in them covo's u we were not prev to was the word i am going to try this on my fam and bud's
again please answer this time with some clearity what part is illegal ?

ed
Shipping something from the U.S. to Canada for repair/exchange?  Please use USPS to avoid (additional?/excessive?) shipping charges.  PM me if you have any questions.

Nephasth

« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2014, 11:38:04 pm »
It's like the ZD Invader's big brother...

ed12

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 31, 2018, 03:44:39 pm
  • it is what it is..."Nobody Said It Was Easy"....
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2014, 12:10:39 am »
i think its a cool build
never thought of a build that way...
saw the mane pop up welp the build was getting tested
but can clearly see the 69 board in there

ed
Shipping something from the U.S. to Canada for repair/exchange?  Please use USPS to avoid (additional?/excessive?) shipping charges.  PM me if you have any questions.

DeLuSioNal29

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2014, 12:10:10 pm »
Thanks for the kind words all!
It's like the ZD Invader's big brother...

LOL.  Hey you're right.  Loved your build too!  Technically ZD Invader's BIG brothers are my original cabs:

D

Vigo

• the Scourage of Carpathia
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+24)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 21, 2024, 08:20:28 am
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2014, 02:13:40 pm »
Such a top notch build. One of the best, if not the best Vigolix I have seen. You have such good attention to detail. I love the whole themed family of machines you have going on.

And I agree with you. Having a silent running machine is an amazing perk. I was thinking of going with a hacked Jakks TV plug and play on my next vigolix build, but this route makes much more sense. Thanks again for keeping me in the loop on your project. I love it!

Cobolisdead

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 04, 2017, 08:35:11 am
  • Restoring my 8th arcade machine, Mortal Kombat 2!
« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2014, 02:49:30 pm »
Great job! That looks like an awesome little machine!

JDFan

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 21, 2023, 04:07:42 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2014, 03:09:29 pm »
i have 1 question for u pbj..what part this is illegal?

The 60 in 1s are running unlicensed roms on a hacked version of MAME, so illegal.
I'm lost on what Delusional is profiting on though.

PBJs gotta PBJ.

Think he was referring to :

That said, I also wanted something that I could sell locally to friends and family.

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2014, 03:13:29 pm »
PBJs gotta PBJ.

And Delusional nuked my explanation post, so Delusional's clearly gotta Delusional, too.

Think he was referring to :

That said, I also wanted something that I could sell locally to friends and family.

Correct.  I know reading can be hard, but stick with it and it'll get easier, Malenko.

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #15 on: October 08, 2014, 03:30:52 pm »
I took it as sell the cabs, that doesn't exactly mean sell cabs with 60 in 1s in it. He could sell it wired for jamma with a video converter in it, or with an IPAC ready for a PC.

Right.  Wink, wink, nudge, nudge.  Got it.

Rick

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 09, 2023, 01:16:55 pm
  • Bartop, Cocktail and Pinball Arcade Cabinets
    • Gameroom Designs Canada
« Reply #16 on: October 08, 2014, 03:33:12 pm »
Correct.  I know reading can be hard, but stick with it and it'll get easier, Malenko.

I know comprehension can be hard, but stick with it and it'll get easier, pbj.

Interesting looking cab, Delusional29. Not my cup of tea, but quality workmanship nonetheless!

Vigo

• the Scourage of Carpathia
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+24)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 21, 2024, 08:20:28 am
« Reply #17 on: October 08, 2014, 03:37:40 pm »
I've been in contact with D since day 1 on this, he is not trying to churn these out to profit off his family. This is on the level of making a machine for your brother, and him paying for the parts and giving you a case a beer for the labor and expertise.

Am I the only one with family, friends and random co-workers that get envious and ask for me to build them a machine?

Rick

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 09, 2023, 01:16:55 pm
  • Bartop, Cocktail and Pinball Arcade Cabinets
    • Gameroom Designs Canada
« Reply #18 on: October 08, 2014, 03:39:51 pm »
Am I the only one with family, friends and random co-workers that get envious and ask for me to build them a machine?

No.

DeLuSioNal29

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #19 on: October 08, 2014, 06:05:11 pm »
Thanks for the kind words everyone!  My friends are already fighting over who will get this one.  I may actually keep it though, my son is in love with it.  He plays it more than any of my other machines.  I haven't really considered selling them publicly yet, and if I did go that route I'd definitely let them supply their own 60 in 1 board.  They are easily found by the average person and with this set up it will be Plug and Play!

Such a top notch build. One of the best, if not the best Vigolix I have seen.
That means a lot!  Especially when coming from the guy who invented the style!  :notworthy:

And Delusional nuked my explanation post, so Delusional's clearly gotta Delusional, too.
I didn't nuke anything.  I even double-checked the moderator logs to see if anyone other mod killed it.  Nada.

I've been in contact with D since day 1 on this, he is not trying to churn these out to profit off his family. This is on the level of making a machine for your brother, and him paying for the parts and giving you a case a beer for the labor and expertise.

THIS.

Again, thanks everyone!

DeLuSioNaL29

DeLuSioNal29

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #20 on: October 08, 2014, 06:11:10 pm »
saw the mane pop up welp the build was getting tested
but can clearly see the 69 board in there

ed
Ed, to clarify:  The MAME logo you see is from my dual stand up vertical machine "Green Invader Reboot".  It's a completely different machine, which has MAME and emus installed.

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #21 on: October 08, 2014, 06:15:37 pm »
Anyway, all that other crap aside, I have to say I it's the only 'Vigolix' I've thought looked well executed.  Very clean and I like the contrasting colors.

DeLuSioNal29

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
Re: Vigolix Green Invader Cabinet
« Reply #22 on: October 09, 2014, 08:00:18 pm »
For those looking for the silent Molex Power supply that I used:  I got it for $10 on FleaBay (with Free Shipping).  Works great and has a lifetime warranty.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/310660854818?_trksid=p2059210.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

DeLuSioNaL29

firedance

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 17, 2024, 11:34:39 am
« Reply #23 on: October 12, 2014, 03:03:47 pm »
Great work  ;D

j1345

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 12, 2020, 03:38:08 am
« Reply #24 on: October 20, 2014, 08:19:51 am »
What percent tint did you order from TAPP plastic?  Also what width and style did you order?  I'm not seeing tinted on the site I just see Transparent Gray (which looks pretty dark?)

DeLuSioNal29

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #25 on: October 20, 2014, 10:56:49 am »
Here's exactly what I ordered:

Transparent Acrylic Sheet (Cut-to-Size)
Transparent Smoke
1/8 (.118) inches Thick, 16 inches Wide, 17-3/8 inches Long

I've ordered from Tapp plastics before.  Their customer service is great.  This past order the plexi had a scratch from a cutting knife made at the factory, they replaced it, no questions asked at their expense, I didn't even have to ship the defective one back.  BTW, their previous product was called "Solar Grey" but they just changed the name of it.  Same product.  This is my go to place for tinted plexi.

DeLuSioNaL29

Locke141

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 03, 2024, 06:00:00 am
  • Never grow up.
« Reply #26 on: October 20, 2014, 03:39:26 pm »
Wow,

I did my Vigolix clone for a family party in two days for less then $100, and it showed.

Yours looks much better. So much better I am now thinking about given it another go next summer.

How do you like the 60 in 1? I used a NAMCO plug and play in mine. Was thinking about trying an Raspberry pie running pi-play so I could add some consul emulators. All three options would be completely silent.

Again Wow!
« Last Edit: October 20, 2014, 03:49:58 pm by Locke141 »

DeLuSioNal29

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #27 on: October 20, 2014, 05:11:07 pm »
Loved your project too!  (Yellow Fever Hybrid)  I was amazed as to how fast you got it all together.  My project took most of the summer, but only because I had no time to work on it.  That and the crazy weather delays (it happened to always rain on the weekends.  I'm in the coastal CT area).  I also experimented a lot with the "faux" T-molding color scheme which "ate up" afternoons I had to work on it.  But I finally got it done.   :applaud:

The 60 in 1 is OK for a starter board.  (My son loves it so that's all that matters - but he's only 6).  But I would LOVE to upgrade to the ArcadeSD in the future.  I can't justify spending $325 on that board though!  Maybe one day...

DeLuSioNaL29

Locke141

• Offline Offline
  • Never grow up.
« Reply #28 on: October 21, 2014, 11:36:09 am »
Thanks DeLuSioNal29,

I had three goals for my clone. To build in the spanned of a weekend, spend less then $100, and to end up with something I could be proud of. It came out OK but I think your Vigolix build came out the best.

That ArcadeSD looks cool but I think the price is a bit high for a Vigolix build. My favorite part of the Vigolix is how cheep it is.

DeLuSioNal29

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #29 on: October 21, 2014, 03:31:07 pm »
That ArcadeSD looks cool but I think the price is a bit high for a Vigolix build. My favorite part of the Vigolix is how cheep it is.
Agreed.  I'd probably want the Arcade SD in a bigger cab (or a cocktail).

D

yotsuya

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 12, 2024, 11:03:32 pm
  • 2014 UCA Winner, 2014, 2015, 2016 ZapCon Winner
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,137636.msg1420628.html
« Reply #30 on: October 21, 2014, 03:46:20 pm »
I dunno - an ArcadeSD in a Vigolix is like dropping a Ferrari engine into a SmartCar.  >:D
***Build what you dig, bro. Build what you dig.***

DeLuSioNal29

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #31 on: October 21, 2014, 03:53:09 pm »
Upon reflection, I think I'd want one in there to try out the board, but it would not live there permanently.  Especially if people were to mess around with the exposed board in the back.  Replacing a 60 in 1 is one thing but an Arcade SD board...  Ouch.

wp34

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 10, 2022, 09:48:19 pm
« Reply #32 on: October 22, 2014, 10:45:03 pm »
Very clean build.  This is one of my favorite Vigolix cabinets.  I love that it matches the theme of your other cabinets as well.

Props for pulling that off with a jigsaw.  That is no mean feat.   :cheers:

ballboff

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 20, 2020, 04:27:54 am
« Reply #33 on: October 23, 2014, 03:00:37 am »
Loving this build, a simple 3 button layout on the control panel too.  You see too many with like a hundred buttons, keep it simple I say.  I have 2 player with 6 buttons on mine, and I did think I would benefit from just having 3 buttons, maybe even just 1 player.  Most of the games I have bar some of the fighting ones only use 2 buttons, 3 if you have neo geo games.

dkersten

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 12, 2024, 11:47:30 am
  • If you are gonna do it, do it right..
« Reply #34 on: October 23, 2014, 01:09:33 pm »
I dunno - an ArcadeSD in a Vigolix is like dropping a Ferrari engine into a SmartCar.  >:D
I don't know about you, but a high powered smart car would be FRIGGIN AWESOME as hell..

Kinda like this golf cart with a hyabusa motor...

Quote from: Vigo
Hell no, am I the only one who has these same people offer up thousands of dollars to get it done?  Is it still illegal if you are doing it for a friend or family AND making a few dollars for your time?  lol, I never sold the games, I just loaded them on the cabinet I built for a friend, for their convenience...  haha..   :cheers:

Nice build, I like it!

DeLuSioNal29

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #35 on: December 02, 2014, 05:11:57 pm »
Updated pics.   :applaud:  I also took more shots of the rear of the machine since I had moved it outside to pack it up.  I recently traveled with it (it fit nicely in my trunk by flipping down one of the seats.).  Loving the portability!

I updated the start button with a space invader decal:

Everything is nice and tidy!

The power strip is screwed in using the mounting holes it comes with and the power brick from the molex connector is held in with heavy duty velcro.  It's not going anywhere.

Here's a shot of the power button and volume for the speakers.  It's accessible but not too convenient that people will be constantly messing with it.

I used double-sided tape to secure Crafty Mech's SLG to the LCD monitor.  The VGA plug then connected snugly without it wiggling around.

People had asked how an adult would fit sitting down.  I'm 6'2" and it's comfortable to play.  I use a standard folding chair.

DeLuSioNaL29

Louis Tully

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 13, 2015, 09:41:03 pm
« Reply #36 on: December 02, 2014, 06:30:11 pm »
« Last Edit: February 12, 2015, 06:22:20 pm by Louis Tully »

Generic Eric

• Offline Offline
« Reply #37 on: December 03, 2014, 12:19:23 pm »
can you just re-purpose something to act as a cage over the PCB?  Some CPU case scraps or even tupper wear with a couple of vent holes drilled in it?

Are you referencing this pic?

If so, I would consider a method mounting that allowed standoffs to be used, and then another set on top securing a plexiglass fit to size.  You could even cover it with ESD tags (or etchings) Danger, Do not touch, high voltage, etch.

DeLuSioNal29

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #38 on: December 03, 2014, 12:50:09 pm »
Yeah, I had thought about covering it up, but honestly, it's always up against the wall so no one ever messes with it.  It's only an issue if it gets transported (which I've done so I may consider covering it).

I do like the idea of the plexi and standoffs.  But to make it simpler, I may just put some dowels on the sides and then simply screw in a slab of wood over it to minimize the chance of it being touched.  I'd paint it all to match of course.

Thanks for the suggestions!

DeLuSioNaL29

Generic Eric

• Offline Offline
« Reply #39 on: December 03, 2014, 02:56:40 pm »
Yeah, I had thought about covering it up, but honestly, it's always up against the wall so no one ever messes with it.  It's only an issue if it gets transported (which I've done so I may consider covering it).

I do like the idea of the plexi and standoffs.  But to make it simpler, I may just put some dowels on the sides and then simply screw in a slab of wood over it to minimize the chance of it being touched.  I'd paint it all to match of course.

Thanks for the suggestions!

DeLuSioNaL29

How about dowels and a larger piece of plexi?  If someone is displaying a board where you can access test points for voltage, or potentiometers they could could drill holes to access those.  Anyway, its moot, but for another project maybe...

DrChek

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 20, 2024, 10:41:01 pm
« Reply #40 on: December 08, 2014, 07:08:26 am »
First time I'm seeing this. Great job! Welcome to the Vigolix club.

DeLuSioNal29

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #41 on: December 11, 2014, 11:20:44 am »
Thanks DrChek.  Your Sketchup file proved useful to my build and planning.   :cheers:

DeLuSioNaL29

DeLuSioNal29

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #42 on: January 05, 2015, 11:46:26 am »
Quick update:  I built a Blue version for my nephew.   :applaud:

Original Renders in Sketchup:

Final product:

DeLuSioNaL29

Locke141

• Offline Offline
  • Never grow up.
« Reply #43 on: January 05, 2015, 12:58:41 pm »
Nice.

I love the Vigolix concept. I may do a second one as well this summer for little family members.

Goz

• KOTA
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 03, 2020, 02:23:18 am
« Reply #44 on: January 10, 2015, 02:41:52 pm »
Nice looking cab. Good Job

-Goz

yotsuya

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 12, 2024, 11:03:32 pm
  • 2014 UCA Winner, 2014, 2015, 2016 ZapCon Winner
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,137636.msg1420628.html
« Reply #45 on: January 10, 2015, 03:08:55 pm »
I actually prefer the blue one to the green one.  :cheers:
***Build what you dig, bro. Build what you dig.***

Cobolisdead

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 04, 2017, 08:35:11 am
  • Restoring my 8th arcade machine, Mortal Kombat 2!
« Reply #46 on: January 10, 2015, 03:33:48 pm »
That blue one does look pretty sweet! :applaud:

Aceisback

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 04, 2021, 07:45:41 pm
« Reply #47 on: January 10, 2015, 06:59:46 pm »
Really like your builds. One question though, how stable are they in regards to being able to be tipped over if bumped?

I have my own full-size cab and a mini-bartop I just completed but I am thinking about building a cab for my oldest grandson, and the Vigolix design would be perfect. Only problem is that his younger brother is autistic and can sometime be a bit rough on things or knock things over when he is running and playing, so I don't know if the the Vigolix design would hold up or not and I do not want to build a full-size cab for my grandson at this time do to space limitations.

Slippyblade

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 16, 2023, 11:39:51 am
  • And to the death god we say, "Not today!"
« Reply #48 on: January 10, 2015, 07:05:34 pm »
Really like your builds. One question though, how stable are they in regards to being able to be tipped over if bumped?

I've built one at the original 4' tall size and it's very stable.  It doesn't weigh much though so if he seriously yanks on it it could topple but wouldn't do any damage.

JDFan

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 21, 2023, 04:07:42 pm
« Reply #49 on: January 10, 2015, 07:43:30 pm »

I have my own full-size cab and a mini-bartop I just completed but I am thinking about building a cab for my oldest grandson, and the Vigolix design would be perfect. Only problem is that his younger brother is autistic and can sometime be a bit rough on things or knock things over when he is running and playing, so I don't know if the the Vigolix design would hold up or not and I do not want to build a full-size cab for my grandson at this time do to space limitations.

Where were you intending to place it ? If placing it against a wall you could always attach a brace to the wall and on the back of the system to hold it in place. Something like a U channel attached to the back of the machine and another piece turned the other direction attached to the wall so you lift the machine and set it into place so that the 2 u-channels hold the system to the wall and the machine has too be lifted a couple inches to release it.

« Last Edit: January 10, 2015, 07:47:20 pm by JDFan »

Locke141

• Offline Offline
  • Never grow up.
« Reply #50 on: January 11, 2015, 03:00:26 am »

Mine is pretty stable, you can always add some dead weight to the base. You could also take a square peace of ply and bolt it to the bottom to increase the area of the base. It would be less stable then JDFans idea but you could move it.

I'm a teacher and have worked with children on the autism spectrum. If I was you I'd be sure to had no exposed wires or components that can be disassembled. 

« Last Edit: March 23, 2015, 02:03:17 am by Locke141 »

Aceisback

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 04, 2021, 07:45:41 pm
« Reply #51 on: January 11, 2015, 06:59:33 pm »
Good suggestions. I may have to look into building one after all!

acme64

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 14, 2016, 12:36:26 am
« Reply #52 on: January 14, 2015, 12:50:34 am »
Any chance you can share the sketchup file? i'd like to try and build a wider 2 player version

hsr

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 08, 2023, 10:46:34 pm
    • My Robotron Mame Cabinet
« Reply #53 on: January 14, 2015, 08:16:43 am »
Any chance you can share the sketchup file? i'd like to try and build a wider 2 player version

The sketchup files are in the original Vigolix thread.

DrChek's is HERE
and
Woodshop Flunky's is HERE
Jeff

DeLuSioNal29

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #54 on: January 22, 2015, 12:52:22 pm »
Hi all,

I finally uploaded a video on both machines.  Enjoy!

DeLuSioNaL29

Locke141

• Offline Offline
  • Never grow up.
« Reply #55 on: January 22, 2015, 12:54:52 pm »
Nice,

Looking good :cheers:

hsr

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 08, 2023, 10:46:34 pm
    • My Robotron Mame Cabinet
« Reply #56 on: January 22, 2015, 03:46:56 pm »
Awesome job!
Jeff

DeLuSioNal29

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #57 on: February 18, 2015, 05:06:45 pm »
Here are some more pics of the new and improved blue version.  I covered up the back so that the game board would not be exposed.  It's easily accessible by removing 4 screws.  Everything is nice and tidy!   :cheers:

D

AGGIEZ

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 30, 2017, 05:59:50 pm
« Reply #58 on: March 22, 2015, 09:43:20 pm »
REALLY like the profile of this cabinet! I'm going to try and make a wider version with 2 sets of SF controls. Thanks for posting the video!!

Locke141

• Offline Offline
  • Never grow up.
« Reply #59 on: March 23, 2015, 02:00:24 am »
REALLY like the profile of this cabinet! I'm going to try and make a wider version with 2 sets of SF controls. Thanks for posting the video!!

Slappyhooper made a nice fullsize version of the vigolix, called the Redline.
-Vigo
From page 3 of the original Vigolix thread:
http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,119533.80.html

The Redline: http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,128876.0.html

The original Vigolix thread is another good place to see other examples of Vigolix builds. It seem's that DeLusioNal29's build was so well finished this is where most of the Vigolix related chatter is happening now.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2016, 10:01:06 am by Locke141 »

Knievel

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 10, 2016, 10:29:09 pm
  • Who's up for a game of Stunt Cycle??
    • Knievel Kustoms
« Reply #60 on: March 24, 2015, 10:20:15 am »
Very sharp, really love the green one!

Thanks for sharing the link to that power supply. I've been looking for something like that.
I guess 2A is enough power for that board. I've never seen any power requirement numbers for it.

AGGIEZ

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 30, 2017, 05:59:50 pm
« Reply #61 on: March 26, 2015, 12:21:00 am »

Slappyhooper made a nice fullsize version of the vigolix, called the Redline.
-Vigo
From page 3 of the original Vigolix thread:
http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,119533.80.html

The Redline: http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,128876.0.html

The original Vigolix thread is another  good place to see other examples this kind of this kind of build, but it seem that DeLusioNal29's build was so well finished this is where most of the Vigolix related chatter is happening now.

:applaud:  Thanks!!

ikaruga23

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 22, 2015, 12:03:33 am
« Reply #62 on: April 07, 2015, 11:09:20 am »
Very nice!! From the artwork to design, everything is perfect. If only I am as good to also build one for my son. Thanks for sharing.

CryptKeeper24

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 11, 2017, 09:08:42 pm
« Reply #63 on: August 02, 2015, 10:44:11 am »
The artwork and color scheme really makes this pop!

I'm hoping to do a green invader control panel, maybe slightly wider.

Anybody know if the photoshop (.psd) files are available?  I thought I saw a post about them but can't find it now.

DeLuSioNal29

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #64 on: August 02, 2015, 05:40:36 pm »
Shoot me your e-mail and I can share a dropbox link for you.  :-)

DeLuSioNaL29

maxnew40

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 23, 2015, 08:21:24 am
« Reply #65 on: August 04, 2015, 09:14:27 am »
You inspired me to build my own Vigolix which is now nearly complete. Mine doesn't look nearly as nice as your machines, but my next build will be better just from what I have learned.

My wife loves the little machine and has given me approval to build a driving version now.  :applaud:

This size is perfect if you don't want or can't fit a full size cabinet.

-Max

DeLuSioNal29

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #66 on: August 12, 2015, 04:40:32 pm »
That's HILARIOUS!  I responded to the ad to see what he says.

Edit:  At first he was kind of a ---meecrob---, but then he realized who I was and then apologized.  He says he will remove the pic.  (As of this posting he hasn't done it yet - We shall see).

D
« Last Edit: August 13, 2015, 12:04:28 pm by DeLuSioNal29 »

DeLuSioNal29

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #67 on: August 13, 2015, 04:20:26 pm »
Thanks. I sent that to him too.

vwalbridge

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 31, 2021, 12:21:09 pm
  • Don't half-ass two things, whole-ass one thing.
« Reply #68 on: August 13, 2015, 04:26:14 pm »
From the craigslist ad:
and my neighbor..a bike mechanic professional will be inspecting your bike.

...and DeL...and arcade enthusiast, will be checking the pictures in your ad!!!!    :laugh2:
If you can read this, it means Photobucket's money grab ruined my signature photos.

pcguysam

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 23, 2016, 01:40:28 pm
  • Only an idiot knows everything.
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,146925.0.html
« Reply #69 on: September 04, 2015, 03:18:18 pm »
I LOVE this build.  I want my next one to be very similar.  Awesome job!
Respect is a two way street and trolls drive on the wrong side of the road.

DeLuSioNal29

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #70 on: September 04, 2015, 03:38:51 pm »
Ha ha. Thanks!

Locke141

• Offline Offline
  • Never grow up.
« Reply #71 on: September 05, 2015, 04:25:54 pm »
That's HILARIOUS!  I responded to the ad to see what he says.

Edit:  At first he was kind of a ---meecrob---, but then he realized who I was and then apologized.  He says he will remove the pic.  (As of this posting he hasn't done it yet - We shall see).

D

I would love to see a snippet of his reply.

jmike

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 26, 2023, 05:14:03 am
« Reply #72 on: September 07, 2015, 03:50:15 am »
Guess someone flagged his ad, it's been marked for removal.

j1345

• Offline Offline
« Reply #73 on: September 22, 2015, 10:12:02 pm »
Question on the drop ceiling "T" bar piece that you used.  I found the piece at Lowes and it looks rather hefty.  Did you use a regular saw to cut that thing down to size?  Just wondering...

Did you sand the corner guard and then spray paint?  How many coats?  What brand of spray did you end up using?

DeLuSioNal29

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
Vigolix Green Invader Cabinet
« Reply #74 on: September 22, 2015, 11:20:47 pm »
I used a hacksaw and carefully cut the ends off to size.   Then I used a file or dremmel to smooth down the sharp edges so they wouldn't cut anyone.

The corner guard was made of plastic so also used the hacksaw which had finer teeth than a normal saw. It cut like butter. Then I gently sanded the edges using normal sandpaper. I then used Rustoleum 2x black gloss paint to paint the inside first and then the outside.

To attach it to the marquee piece I drilled the screw holes into the metal and plastic pieces with a normal drill bit. Then screwed the screws in. I used black screws on the top. And normal screws underneath since they won't be seen.

I've added pics below for clarification. :-)

D
« Last Edit: September 22, 2015, 11:22:57 pm by DeLuSioNal29 »

DeLuSioNal29

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #75 on: September 22, 2015, 11:21:34 pm »
And the rest of the pics...

Shortbus

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 26, 2023, 03:20:00 pm
« Reply #76 on: March 06, 2016, 09:50:58 pm »
Awesome Build! I have viewed it several times, and didn't see any measurements (sorry if I missed them), if you have them, that'd be great, I'd love one of these for home. Excellent Work !!!

Locke141

• Offline Offline
  • Never grow up.
« Reply #77 on: March 08, 2016, 10:02:10 am »
Awesome Build! I have viewed it several times, and didn't see any measurements (sorry if I missed them), if you have them, that'd be great, I'd love one of these for home. Excellent Work !!!

Look her
http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,119533.0.html

DeLuSioNal29

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #78 on: March 08, 2016, 10:49:42 pm »
Yes, that link will have the measurements. You can also find the plans if you Google Vigolix on Instructibles.com.
However, with my build I modified the placement of the boards on the bottom.
Dr. Chek did the same and created the Sketchup files you see attached in this topic (mine are modified as well). In Sketchup you can use the measuring tape tool and get accurate measurements from the model.

Hope this helps!

D

j1345

• Offline Offline
« Reply #79 on: March 28, 2016, 10:42:34 am »
Question on the border of the plexi glass. 

Did you use the same Rustoleum 2x black gloss paint to paint the black border on the plexi?

rablack97

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 11, 2022, 06:50:10 pm
  • If you don't try, you have no chance at innovation
« Reply #80 on: March 28, 2016, 10:54:35 am »
Doesnt have to be gloss, you can use matte.

DeLuSioNal29

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #81 on: March 28, 2016, 12:26:48 pm »
Doesnt have to be gloss, you can use matte.
Yup.  Either one works since you're painting it on the back side.  Whether you use flat black or gloss, it will still appear as gloss on the front side due to the plexi.  I just used 2x gloss black since I already had it on hand from painting the brackets.

DeL

MerlinArcade

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 22, 2017, 10:25:45 pm
« Reply #82 on: January 12, 2017, 01:44:19 am »
Hi guys,

Just wanted to say thanks to DeLuSioNal29 and Vigo for their cabinet design.

I decided to do like you guys and take your design, modify and and try to improve it a bit.

Cheers,

Merlin
« Last Edit: January 12, 2017, 04:19:13 pm by MerlinArcade »

dman97

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 03, 2017, 08:02:27 pm
« Reply #83 on: February 13, 2017, 08:43:48 pm »
Thanks DeLuSioNal29 for the easy to make design.  Did you leave space between the bezel plexi and the monitor?

DeLuSioNal29

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #84 on: May 22, 2017, 09:46:10 am »
I give all the credit to Vigo here on the forums who came up with the original design.  :-)

There is no space between the plexi and the monitor.  The LCD monitor helps keep it in place while the top marquee bracket pushes down on it.

I plan on releasing a "How to build a Vigolix" video on my channel this Friday (at the usual 10am release time).  I showed some of the raw footage to Vigo when I hung out with him last month at Zapcon and I have his blessing to release it.   :applaud:

DeL

DeLuSioNal29

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #85 on: May 22, 2017, 10:00:07 am »
Wanted to add some paint codes.  I've built this in Green, Blue and now a new one (in the new episode) in orange.  I've also included my (future) Ms. Pac pink paint code as well.  I had them color matched to the matching T-molding.  (With the exception of the Orange).  However, they all go great with Sanwa colored ball tops:  Neon Green, Neon Pink, Blue and Orange.

Pics below:

Enjoy!

DeL

Locke141

• Offline Offline
  • Never grow up.
« Reply #86 on: May 22, 2017, 10:24:24 pm »
I don't see the video on your channel. 

DeLuSioNal29

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #87 on: May 23, 2017, 10:20:03 am »
I don't see the video on your channel.
Here's the older one (a NEW one will be posted this Friday (5/26/2017) at 10am EST with more detailed build instructions)
! No longer available

DeL
« Last Edit: May 23, 2017, 10:32:34 am by DeLuSioNal29 »

Locke141

• Offline Offline
  • Never grow up.
« Reply #88 on: May 24, 2017, 12:55:17 am »
cool,

You most be quite tall or you made an particularly small Vigolix.

« Last Edit: May 24, 2017, 11:25:25 am by Locke141 »

GrizzlyThunder

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 31, 2024, 03:11:26 pm
« Reply #89 on: May 24, 2017, 07:58:45 am »
This is perfect! How much room is in the base? Can you place a tower behind there or a subwoofer?

WeChat: GrizzlyThunder

Locke141

• Offline Offline
  • Never grow up.
« Reply #90 on: May 24, 2017, 09:16:42 am »
This is perfect! How much room is in the base? Can you place a tower behind there or a subwoofer?

I made one and I would say not really.

Here are some plans for the original Vigolix.

Ian

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 26, 2021, 01:50:35 am
  • "A day without Laughter is a day wasted"
« Reply #91 on: May 24, 2017, 09:57:59 am »
cool,

You most be quit tall or you made an particularly small Vigolix.

Del is a Giant... everyone knows that.
Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats.

GrizzlyThunder

• Offline Offline
« Reply #92 on: May 24, 2017, 12:01:32 pm »

I made one and I would say not really.

Here are some plans for the original Vigolix.

Dang... is it big enough for custom side art? Lol

Also would it be an easy mod to make the control panel exchangeable ?

DeLuSioNal29

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #93 on: May 26, 2017, 10:19:06 am »
The episode just went live:

I also figured I'd add some pics of the new Orange version.   :applaud:

DeL

GrizzlyThunder

• Offline Offline
« Reply #94 on: May 26, 2017, 11:43:47 am »
Yes! I've been looking out for it all morning in-between clients.

DeLuSioNal29

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #95 on: May 26, 2017, 01:49:16 pm »
Nice!  I just updated the description in the video on Youtube with links to files, artwork, tools and parts.  (including power brick, thin speakers and 12 foot black surge protector - which work great with this build).

Enjoy!

DeL

Locke141

• Offline Offline
  • Never grow up.
« Reply #96 on: May 27, 2017, 04:10:26 am »
Nice build. In the video you said you spent about $200. It looks grate but people looking to do one as a first build or on the cheep can do it for about $100. Less if you get a free PC and monitor.