Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: KADE-compatible AVR vendors reference list  (Read 27554 times)

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 07:06:08 am
  • Designated spam hunter
KADE-compatible AVR vendors reference list
« on: September 29, 2014, 09:44:58 pm »
This thread is the result of spending WAY too much time chasing down threads and links every time someone asks where to buy KADE-compatible AVRs and hardware.

miniArcade/microArcade
Keyboard, gamepad, and optical (spinner/trackball) firmwares available in KADE Loader.
atmega32u2 (or at90usb162)

Official KADE stores:
(links for the North American store, European sales, International sales, and Brazil & International)
http://emukade.com/
North American store - http://northamerica.emukade.com/
Bruno's store - http://shop.brunofreitas.com/

Other vendors:
BYOAC member MaxRod has some for sale.  PM him for details.

Out-of-stock or former vendors:
http://www.ck3.co.uk/minimus-32-avr-atmel-atmega32u2-usb-dev-board.html -- domain changed to "controllermax.co.uk", don't see the Minimus on the new site

http://www.foundmy.com/oscom/minimus-avr-usb-32k-instock-p-402.html -- site is currently offline

http://www.xconsoles.com/products/MINIMUS_32_AVR_ATMEL_ATMEGA32U2_USB_DEV_BOARD.html

http://www.modchipcentral.com/store/minimus-32-jailbreak-minimus32-usb-dongle-canada-usa.html

miniArcade/microArcade alternate boards
Will add info and links when available.

miniArcade 2.0 - (Currently in beta testing)
Keyboard, gamepad, rotary mechanical joystick, analog, and console firmware options available in miniArcade 2.0 Mapper.
atmega32u4  -- "DFU" bootloader and 16 MHz crystal ("Atmel DFU" requires pullup resistor)

Beta testing announcement thread here.

Official KADE stores:
The miniArcade 2.0 is not yet available from the Official KADE Store.

PCB fabrication (gerber) files are included in the distro package.

miniArcade 2.0 alternate boards
atmega32u4  -- Select "DFU" bootloader and 16 MHz crystal ("Atmel DFU" requires pullup resistor)

MattairTech: *** Effective July 5, 2020, MattairTech will no longer be accepting orders.  See site for more details. ***
The MattairTech MT-DB-U4 is a perfect pin-for-pin match for the miniArcade 2.0 daughterboard.
http://www.mattairtech.com/index.php/development-boards/atmega32u4-usb-development-board-arduino-compatible.html

miniArcade 2.0 alternate bootloader boards
Procedures are available to load the firmware and EEPROM files on these non-dfu bootloader AVRs:
- Arduino Micro
- Arduino Pro Micro
- Arduino Leonardo
- Teensy 2.0
- Adafruit ItsyBitsy 32u4 5v 16 MHz (procedures/confirmation/diagram pending)

KADESTICK
Gamepad and analog firmwares -- details in this thread.
atmega32u4  -- Select "DFU" or "Atmel DFU" bootloader and 16 MHz crystal ("Atmel DFU" requires pullup resistor)

MattairTech:
http://www.mattairtech.com/index.php/development-boards/atmega32u4-usb-development-board-arduino-compatible.html

maxArcade
Beta prototype -- keyboard, gamepad, and analog firmwares available in KADE Loader.
AT90USB646 (or AT90USB1286) -- Select "Atmel DFU" bootloader

MattairTech:
https://www.mattairtech.com/index.php/development-boards/mt-db-u6.html

maxArcade pinout (WIP):
Shows the pinout on the AT90USB646 and the associated screw terminals in KADE Loader.
http://kadevice.tk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=53&t=4125&p=7135#p7135

miniConsole+
Plug-and-play (or customizable) keyboard, gamepad, and analog firmwares for retro controller or arcade control inputs and outputs to a number of console or computer systems -- more details in this post.

Kickstarter details here.

The miniConsole+ should be available from the Official KADE Store at http://emukade.com/ once the rest of the Kickstarter rewards are shipped.

Bruno's store - http://shop.brunofreitas.com/

KADE hardware
KADE Hardware source files:
https://github.com/kadevice/KADE/tree/master/open%20hardware
The Bill of Materials (BOM) lists all hardware used in the KADE and several alternate wiring hardware options like pin headers/prefab wiring from Paradise Arcade Shop, etc.

I'll update this post as needed with new vendors, hardware, and KADE encoders.

If anyone finds a good source, LMK.

Scott
« Last Edit: August 24, 2020, 10:49:23 am by PL1 »

yotsuya

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 10:19:17 pm
  • 2014 UCA Winner, 2014, 2015, 2016 ZapCon Winner
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,137636.msg1420628.html
Re: KADE-compatible AVR vendors reference list
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2015, 01:27:51 am »
You might want to remove xconsoles. They no longer list it on their site.
***Build what you dig, bro. Build what you dig.***

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
  • Designated spam hunter
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2015, 01:54:34 am »
Thanks for reminding me to update the OP.

Several places are now out-of-stock.

Scott

SavannahLion

• Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 19, 2015, 02:28:15 am
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2015, 12:47:47 pm »
Interesting, PJRC's board is not compatible? Why is that?

Not that I use PJRC much (I prefer MattairTech) because I hate fussing with his bootloader. I'd feel more comfortable if I knew what was running under the hood there.

I just ask because everyone seems to like dry humping his boards second to the damn Arduino lineup.

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
  • Designated spam hunter
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2015, 03:36:48 pm »
Interesting, PJRC's board is not compatible? Why is that?

Not that I use PJRC much (I prefer MattairTech) because I hate fussing with his bootloader. I'd feel more comfortable if I knew what was running under the hood there.

I just ask because everyone seems to like dry humping his boards second to the damn Arduino lineup.
Not familiar with PJRC, but based on the fact that they carry Teensy boards, I'd guess that they use the Arduino bootloader.  :dunno

The current version of  KADE Loader doesn't work with Arduino bootloader, but it's on the team's list of things to do.

The microArcade/miniArcade use the Atmel bootloader which is compatible with the current version of KADE Loader.

KADESTICK also uses the Atmel bootloader, but you have to use FLIP to program it since Loader hasn't been updated to recognize the MattairTech board yet.

If there's a good tutorial showing how to load hex files to boards with Arduino bootloaders, I'd love to try it.

I picked up a generic Pro Micro several months ago to use as a KADESTICK, but still haven't figured out how to load hex files on it like Jon managed to on his.   :banghead:  :dizzy:

Scott

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2015, 04:39:39 pm »
I'm glad I stocked up on the MinimusAVRs when I did.

Slippyblade

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 16, 2023, 11:39:51 am
  • And to the death god we say, "Not today!"
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2015, 06:30:20 pm »
I should have bought more at the $5 price point.  I just started teaching my kid how to program the things and I expect her to blow up a couple.  :(

SavannahLion

• Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2015, 10:05:19 pm »
IIRC PJRC doesn't use the Arduino bootloader though I believe he does offer a library for compatibility. The teensy uses a proprietary bootloader (at least on the AVR line) called Halfkay which forces one to use his tools when uploading.

It's an amazing piece of work really. Problem is is that the hex, bin or source is not readily available and he sets his fuse bits to prevent retrieving the binaries. Fair enough, I can play it that way. However, he doesn't like other developers from integrating his communication protocol into their tools. After a bit of research I discovered he has a history of not allowing other developers access to that protocol in their tools. If you want to upload to a Teensy, you need the Teensy tools.

I think he did allow others to use his protocol at one point but he's pulled those permissions. Not sure if any of that changed in recent years. So you might want to look into that.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2015, 10:07:58 pm by SavannahLion »

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
  • Designated spam hunter
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2015, 10:43:45 pm »
IIRC PJRC doesn't use the Arduino bootloader though I believe he does offer a library for compatibility. The teensy uses a proprietary bootloader (at least on the AVR line) called Halfkay which forces one to use his tools when uploading.
Based on that, I don't expect the KADE team will be interested in pursuing the Teensy.   :dunno

IMHO it doesn't make sense to pursue an alternate board that is more expensive and more restrictive than what they are using now.

If someone does come up with a way to load KADE hex files onto another board, I'd be happy to add links to a good tutorial and vendors -- especially for the Pro Micro.   ;D

Scott

abkaz

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 18, 2023, 11:32:35 am
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2015, 05:01:15 pm »
I'm going to purchase 5 - 7 minimus AVRs. I see that there's a 32k version (atmega32u2) and a 16k version (at90usb162). Is the only difference between the two of them the amount of memory? Since both work with Kade is there any benefit to paying more for the 32k version?

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
  • Designated spam hunter
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2015, 03:59:52 am »
I'm going to purchase 5 - 7 minimus AVRs. I see that there's a 32k version (atmega32u2) and a 16k version (at90usb162). Is the only difference between the two of them the amount of memory? Since both work with Kade is there any benefit to paying more for the 32k version?
There is no advantage to using one version over the other for KADE, but the 32k boards are easier to find.

The 16k boards already sold out AFAIK -- let us know if you have a source that's not listed in the OP. (after you place your order)   ;D

Scott

abkaz

• Offline Offline
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2015, 10:50:21 am »
Hmmm... I saw both versions at foundmy.com. The title for each version includes the words "In Stock", but apparently the 16k is not in stock. It was only a $2 difference anyway. So I'll be testing my soldering skills soon. It's been a while since I've soldered 2.54mm screw terminals...

SavannahLion

• Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2015, 02:28:09 am »
Not a bad deal at $11 a pop for the 32U2, but their "regular" price is insane.

Not too many good reviews for the site either.

abkaz

• Offline Offline
« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2015, 05:01:32 pm »
I attempted to place an order at foundmy.com a few weeks ago. The website didn't take credit cards. Instead they were supposed to call and take my info over the the phone. Needless to say, they never called and I wouldn't have completed the order if they did. So I don't know if they belong on the list.

I ended up getting mine from the ck3 site. I got 10 for $99 (inc shipping) from the UK to the US. I also got some 12 pole screw terminals from ebay for about $1.50 each. They all arrived in less than two weeks so now it's time for some soldering!

DeLuSioNal29

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 20, 2023, 11:39:06 pm
  • Build the impossible -"There is no Spoon"
    • DeLuSioNaL's YouTube Videos
« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2016, 06:37:57 pm »
Anyone have any sources for cheap KADE compatible AVR vendors?
Stop by my Youtube channel and leave a comment:

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #15 on: April 05, 2016, 07:06:35 pm »
Anyone have any sources for cheap KADE compatible AVR vendors?
Good luck with that. Glad I hoarded.

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
  • Designated spam hunter
« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2016, 07:22:43 pm »
Not many vendors left for Minimus AVRs -- just ck3.co.uk and KADE encoders/kits from the KADE store AFAIK.  :(

I suspect that the KADE team will eventually come up with some sort of alternative hardware.

They'll probably do that after they (finally!!) finish shipping the miniConsole+ Kickstarter rewards in May . . . 2018.  jk   :duckhunt

Scott

DeLuSioNal29

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 20, 2023, 11:39:06 pm
  • Build the impossible -"There is no Spoon"
    • DeLuSioNaL's YouTube Videos
« Reply #17 on: April 05, 2016, 08:44:01 pm »
Good luck with that. Glad I hoarded.
I did too. And even gave one of my spares to MGB for his project.

I have only a couple left but thought I'd look around for more since they were so cheap. Two are currently connected to my Xbox classic. :-)

DeL
Stop by my Youtube channel and leave a comment:

JDFan

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 21, 2023, 04:07:42 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #18 on: April 05, 2016, 09:32:31 pm »

I suspect that the KADE team will eventually come up with some sort of alternative hardware

I thought they had the other day when reading Nitz's post ( http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,150185.msg1568955.html#msg1568955 ) but looks like it is another competing product instead and not from the Kade team. It looked promising but looks like it was only a small run for testing so is likely to be just as hard to get and at $25 doesn't really offer the ability to cheap out and just buy the minimus portion like the Kade does.

Wonder what it would cost per unit to have a small order of the minimus produced - If we could get enough interest in purchasing some ? - The $20 postage from ck3.uk kind of defeats the price advantage of just getting the minimus unless you order several  :dunno
« Last Edit: April 05, 2016, 09:45:03 pm by JDFan »

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 16, 2024, 05:59:16 pm
  • Your Post's Soul is MINE!!! .......Again??
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #19 on: April 05, 2016, 11:30:16 pm »
An Arduino uno clone is about 6 bucks.  If you want to go high end, a teensy 3.0 is around 15-20.  Both options are readily available and are powerful enough to handle most console controllers.  The problem is software.... I was going to work on it but was politely told where to go so I'm not bothering.  AVR programming is easy though... most of your classic gamepads can be handled pretty easily if you are willing to invest the time in learning how. 

I wish everyone luck.

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
  • Designated spam hunter
« Reply #20 on: April 06, 2016, 12:50:49 am »
I thought they had the other day when reading Nitz's post ( http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,150185.msg1568955.html#msg1568955 ) but looks like it is another competing product instead and not from the Kade team. It looked promising but looks like it was only a small run for testing so is likely to be just as hard to get and at $25 doesn't really offer the ability to cheap out and just buy the minimus portion like the Kade does.
Yeah . . . nitz76 hasn't exactly earned a lot of love from the KADE team.

PROS:
- Designed an AVR board with supporting components.

CONS:
- Was using KADE logos/images/links. (he took most of them down when asked) Remaining images removed when they were pointed out
- Is still using Jon's animated LED demo .gif in his post and in his ebay ad. Image removed when it was pointed out
- His post includes the phrase "give some feedback like a led or a rumble." which implies an LEDBlinky-style feature that neither the LED demo firmware nor any other miniArcade firmware currently has.
- His post states "Open source design. (Public domain)." but AFAIK he hasn't released his board files and Bill of Materials -- not on his site and not on KADE's Github.
- So far, no stated plans on how he intends to provide customer support for his product.

A better example of 3rd party hardware development is silverfox0786.

He designed and built some KADE compatible rotary joystick adapter boards here.

Wonder what it would cost per unit to have a small order of the minimus produced - If we could get enough interest in purchasing some ? - The $20 postage from ck3.uk kind of defeats the price advantage of just getting the minimus unless you order several  :dunno
Two problems:

1. Getting permission from the Minimus' designer to use the board design and parts list.

2. Any small run order would be prohibitively expensive and time consuming.

Unless another cheap alternative is found, it seems like a better idea to just design a new AVR board using newer hardware.   :dunno

Based on a quick glance, the KADESTICK's ATMega32u4 chip only costs a few dollars more than the miniArcade's ATMega32u2 chip and the 32u4 has analog (potentiometer) input capability.

Hopefully, the KADE team's experience dealing with fabrication companies for miniConsole+ will help them if/when they choose (or design) a replacement AVR platform.

Scott
EDIT: Nitz has removed several images that he had previously overlooked.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2016, 02:58:34 pm by PL1 »

jdbailey1206

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 11, 2023, 01:32:56 pm
  • No. It's your top score on Pole Position.
« Reply #21 on: April 06, 2016, 11:05:14 am »
They'll probably do that after they (finally!!) finish shipping the miniConsole+ Kickstarter rewards in May . . . 2018.  jk   :duckhunt
Scott

jimmer

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 17, 2024, 06:03:11 pm
  • I want to play Defender like at the arcade.
« Reply #22 on: December 16, 2016, 07:41:16 pm »

dammit! I had a stock alert at c3k to warn me if their stocks got low, but it seems the website disappeared. Now I'm out of AVRs and need a keyboard encoder.

So, any sources out there at the moment?

Do I need to look for a different encoder?
On forums jimmer speaks for himself as a Defender fan, not as proprietor of www.jbgaming.co.uk  << Is that advertising or disclosure ? or both ?

JDFan

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 21, 2023, 04:07:42 pm
« Reply #23 on: December 16, 2016, 09:41:08 pm »
Yeah they were down to 32 last I checked and was gonna order some but the shipping was killing it so was saving up to place a larger order (since the unit cost dropped and the shipping stayed the same) Then went back a couple weeks later and the site was gone !

Only place I've seen with stock is http://www.tynesidepcrepairs.co.uk/minimus-32-avr-usb - for £6.00 + £8.17 international shipping which is a bit high. (looks like the shipping there stays the same for multiples also so might not be too bad if ordering several )

jimmer

• Offline Offline
« Reply #24 on: December 16, 2016, 09:56:34 pm »
I found and tried them earlier, payment failure. That shop might be dead, hence the old price.
On forums jimmer speaks for himself as a Defender fan, not as proprietor of www.jbgaming.co.uk  << Is that advertising or disclosure ? or both ?

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #25 on: December 16, 2016, 09:59:36 pm »
Good thing I hoarded them when I did. Still have a few.

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #26 on: December 16, 2016, 10:05:33 pm »
Good thing I hoarded them when I did. Still have a few.
Going back and reading this thread,  I posted this sentiment a few times.  Surprised an alternative hasn't been developed in that time.

lilshawn

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 11:41:53 pm
  • I break stuff...then fix it...sometimes
« Last Edit: December 17, 2016, 12:42:54 am by lilshawn »

jimmer

• Offline Offline
« Reply #28 on: December 17, 2016, 07:07:34 am »

Thanks Lilshawn, I will ask the vendor about this board.  Maybe he will test the KADE loader software with it (or even modify the KADE loader software to work with his board).

I'm addicted to cheap fast programmable keyboard encoders, and I need to find a replacement for the minimus !

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
  • Designated spam hunter
« Reply #29 on: December 17, 2016, 02:17:04 pm »
would this work?? (mostly) it's not identical but...mostly?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NooGroove-USB-Board-ATMEGA32U2-AT90USB162-AVR-Stick-/162099277204?hash=item25bddead94:m:mLP03sdfF9arxnlt9V8wmbg
It does use the atmega32u2, but there are several things that would lead me to choose a different board.
-- I'm not sure what bootloader it uses.
-- On the e-bay page, the "Operating Instructions" and "Preliminary Documentation" links are both broken.
-- I can't find anything about the NooGrove board on the NooElec webpage.

You might be better off going with this board from MattairTech. (Select "Atmel DFU" bootloader)

https://www.mattairtech.com/index.php/atmega32u2-usb-development-board-arduino-compatible.html

KADE Loader already supports the maxArcade prototype (same bootloader on a MattairTech AT90USB646/1286 board) so adding the 32u2 board shouldn't be too difficult.  :dunno

Worst case scenario is that you download the KADE source code, run "makefile" to generate the desired firmware(s), and upload the hex file to the board using FLIP. (FLIP tutorial here)

The pinout is shifted a bit from the Minimus layout, but it looks like the same pins are available on both boards.

Scott
EDIT: The Atmel DFU bootloader option requires a pullup resistor on pin D7. (HWB)  It could interfere with "shifted functions".
« Last Edit: December 17, 2016, 02:44:36 pm by PL1 »

jimmer

• Offline Offline
« Reply #30 on: December 18, 2016, 07:49:48 am »

Thanks PL1.

I did some looking around yesterday, there are a lot of boards out there and I don't understand the pros and cons.  ATmega32u2 might be a bit old hat? ( I don't want to get caught by a discontinued board again next year). Also $15 plus tax and shipping and our new GBP exchange rates is too much for a bare board. I've been used to paying £5 for the minimus, so £15 is a bit steep.   

Lots of china clones of arduino boards based on ATmega32u4, and  $6 inc shipping from china is a good price point.  http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/162015552758?

A windows HID is one of the easiest things to implement I tihnk. eg  https://learn.sparkfun.com/tutorials/pro-micro--fio-v3-hookup-guide

But I don't think I have the time to learn all this stuff from scratch, at least not before I need some encoders, so I might just pay someone to sort this out for me, either modify the KADE LOADER code or do something from scratch.

I only need two of the KADE options. USB HID keyboard and USB HID keyboard/mouse that takes trackball/spinner input. And I don't need any shifted functions or flipping between different key maps. And I don't need a configuration gui.  Just two pieces of code that will program the board, and that I can edit to choose the key codes if wanted.

Any offers?

jimmer

• Offline Offline
« Reply #31 on: December 29, 2016, 12:49:24 pm »

Calling PL1 !

I've managed to compile some of the KADE hex files (it's a bit hit and miss which ones work straight from the repository). And they don't seem to work if you comment in the atmega32u2.  I'm guessing from the comment about 16k works on both that LOADER uses that one for both boards.

# NOTE - Stuff compiled for 16k will work on both!!
#MCU = at90usb162       # Minimus AVR 16K
MCU = atmega32u2       # Minimus AVR 32k 

Oddly it does produce a hex file if I change the chip to atmega32u4 which is my target anyway.

Some of the firmwares use LUFA code, and after copying in some LUFA files for different boards (leonardo and micro) I've managed to produces hex files for a leonardo atmega32u4.

So is this progress? I don't know.  I'm kind of hoping that all I need to do is understand how pins are designated and adjust that part of the code to match the new board, and then just load the hex to the boards when they arrive ???

In the KADE repository there are some old versions of the firmwares, kade-pin is a simple 20 buttons encoder without the later frills that i don't need.  So I'll work on that one.

For the trackball, the code for the trackball to USB mouse/keyboard is missing. So I may have to use trackball to USB gamepad. Is that  nothing to worry about? (for MAME on PC).

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
  • Designated spam hunter
« Reply #32 on: December 29, 2016, 07:38:55 pm »
I've managed to compile some of the KADE hex files
Great news!    :notworthy:

Some of the firmwares use LUFA code, and after copying in some LUFA files for different boards (leonardo and micro) I've managed to produces hex files for a leonardo atmega32u4.
You're way deeper in the weeds on this than I've ever been.

Hope you're taking good notes so others can duplicate your success.    :applaud:

So is this progress? I don't know.  I'm kind of hoping that all I need to do is understand how pins are designated and adjust that part of the code to match the new board, and then just load the hex to the boards when they arrive ???
Sounds like progress to me.   ;D

As long as the 32u4 input pins defined in the firmware are connected to solder-holes on the board, it's just a matter of loading the firmware and hooking the right wire to the right solder-hole. (and maybe adding a pull-up resistor, depending on the board/bootloader)

I'll be glad to help you figure out the pinout(s) and document things so people can use alternate boards.   :cheers:

Once we have confirmed good writeups for specific board/firmware combinations, I'll add links to the OP.

For the trackball, the code for the trackball to USB mouse/keyboard is missing. So I may have to use trackball to USB gamepad. Is that  nothing to worry about? (for MAME on PC).
I never tested any of the KADE trackball/spinner firmwares, but the main thing that I'd be concerned about is that there were a few reports of backspin -- AFAIK the problem was never fixed.

Depending on the resolution of your trackball and how fast you spin it, this might be a problem.   :dunno

Scott

jimmer

• Offline Offline
« Reply #33 on: December 30, 2016, 07:26:57 am »
2 packages each with 2 boards landed on my doormat today. Visually you can tell they are from 2 different factories. They are chinese clones of this board   https://www.sparkfun.com/products/12640

I decided the easiest approach was just pile in and use FLIP to load the hex I built and see what happens. But FLIP doesn't connect to the micro board. Not having used FLIP before I got out a new Minimus board and used flip successfully to load a hex to it.

I'm guessing I need one of these pullup resistors on the RST or HWD pins like was done on the mattair board. About to have a read and then give something a go.

The micropro boards show up as COM3, whereas the minimus shows up as a USB device.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2016, 07:28:58 am by jimmer »

jimmer

• Offline Offline
« Reply #34 on: December 30, 2016, 12:00:56 pm »
change of tack:  I had been thinking that Arduino IDE route might be better than trying to use the KADE stuff. So instead of working out how to use the board with FLIP, I opened the Arduino IDE and followed the sparkfun examples I pointed out earlier.

Very easy to use the IDE and program the board,  I've got a basic HID keyboard encoder working and will test it on Defender as soon as I can get it soldered up. I will need to think about debounce and using the internal pull up resistors on the inputs (sounds like the proper way to do it to avoid floating values). I wish I knew more about how MAME/Windows handles input, I expect that should influence the encoder design.

I might have to revisit the KADE firmware for trackball later, but at the moment I've got 8 Minimus which will cover me for trackball panels for a while. 

This might be premature! but you may not hear from me for a while, I've hopefully solved my encoder shortage, so now I've got to get back to building cabinets.

edit: as this is no longer on-topic I'll just leave you with this:

#include <Keyboard.h>

void setup()
{
  pinMode(9, INPUT_PULLUP);  // Set the button as an input

Keyboard.begin();
}

void loop()
{

value9 = !digitalRead(9);   // closed gives true

// do some debounce routine and flip the state if valid input
   if (flipped) {
        if (pinstate9)  { Keyboard.press(key9);}
        if (!pinstate9)  { Keyboard.release(key9);}
        }

}

« Last Edit: January 01, 2017, 08:37:59 am by jimmer »

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
  • Designated spam hunter
« Reply #35 on: December 30, 2016, 09:58:43 pm »
They are chinese clones of this board   https://www.sparkfun.com/products/12640
I got a similar "Pro Micro" knockoff and successfully loaded a few Arduino "sketches" on it, but haven't figured out how to load KADESTICK firmwares on it yet.

IIRC, Jon managed to do this, but I have no idea what software/procedures he used.  :dunno

I decided the easiest approach was just pile in and use FLIP to load the hex I built and see what happens. But FLIP doesn't connect to the micro board. Not having used FLIP before I got out a new Minimus board and used flip successfully to load a hex to it.
FLIP works with the DFU and Atmel DFU bootloaders, but not with the Arduino bootloader.

I'm guessing I need one of these pullup resistors on the RST or HWD pins like was done on the mattair board.
The Mattair board only needs a pullup resistor because of the "Atmel DFU" bootloader -- the same Mattair board with a different bootloader does not require a pullup resistor.
There are three bootloaders available. Please select below.
CDC:   Recommended! Arduino and AVRDUDE compatible
DFU:   FLIP compatible
Atmel DFU:   FLIP compatible (External pullup on E2/B pin required!)

Scott

jimmer

• Offline Offline
« Reply #36 on: December 31, 2016, 10:53:41 am »
I got a similar "Pro Micro" knockoff and successfully loaded a few Arduino "sketches" on it, but haven't figured out how to load KADESTICK firmwares on it yet.

IIRC, Jon managed to do this, but I have no idea what software/procedures he used.  :dunno

I'm feeling a lot more comfortable in the Arduino environment than when I was looking through the low level KADE code.

MaxRod

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 10, 2018, 09:20:47 am
« Reply #37 on: January 09, 2017, 01:51:02 pm »
just wanted to chime in to this thread and say that the TX still makes minimus AVRs. They only sell to academia and hacker spaces these days tho. I'm personal friends with many of the TX guys including the founder and have a large batch of them here. If there is enough demand for them from the arcade scene, i can forward off your comments to them.

I just got into the arcade scene myself and bought a bartop kit from ebay. Haven't wired up player 2 yet but so far I'm having a blast.  :applaud:

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
  • Designated spam hunter
« Reply #38 on: January 09, 2017, 02:07:43 pm »
just wanted to chime in to this thread and say that the TX still makes minimus AVRs. They only sell to academia and hacker spaces these days tho. I'm personal friends with many of the TX guys including the founder and have a large batch of them here. If there is enough demand for them from the arcade scene, i can forward off your comments to them.

I just got into the arcade scene myself and bought a bartop kit from ebay. Haven't wired up player 2 yet but so far I'm having a blast.  :applaud:
Welcome aboard, MacRod.   ;D

If you can help arrange a way for arcade hobbyists to buy Minimus AVRs at a reasonable price, I'm sure that many members would be interested.   :cheers:

Scott

MaxRod

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 10, 2018, 09:20:47 am
« Reply #39 on: January 09, 2017, 02:33:00 pm »

Welcome aboard, MacRod.   ;D

If you can help arrange a way for arcade hobbyists to buy Minimus AVRs at a reasonable price, I'm sure that many members would be interested.   :cheers:

Scott

cheers. I'll forward the message off to them  if i get more feedback..I do have some questions tho.

From what i understand the Kade softare is still available and is open source but the add-on boards are no longer available, correct? Does any group or person make an aftermarket version of the board? What is a reasonable price that you would consider for the minimus these days? I know they originally went for $30USD and gradually went down before they pulled them.