Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: KADE-compatible AVR vendors reference list  (Read 27556 times)

yotsuya

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 10:19:17 pm
  • 2014 UCA Winner, 2014, 2015, 2016 ZapCon Winner
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,137636.msg1420628.html
Re: KADE-compatible AVR vendors reference list
« Reply #40 on: January 09, 2017, 03:30:52 pm »
just wanted to chime in to this thread and say that the TX still makes minimus AVRs. They only sell to academia and hacker spaces these days tho. I'm personal friends with many of the TX guys including the founder and have a large batch of them here. If there is enough demand for them from the arcade scene, i can forward off your comments to them.

I just got into the arcade scene myself and bought a bartop kit from ebay. Haven't wired up player 2 yet but so far I'm having a blast.  :applaud:
Welcome aboard, MacRod.   ;D

If you can help arrange a way for arcade hobbyists to buy Minimus AVRs at a reasonable price, I'm sure that many members would be interested.   :cheers:

Scott

cheers. I'll forward the message off to them  if i get more feedback..I do have some questions tho.

From what i understand the Kade softare is still available and is open source but the add-on boards are no longer available, correct? Does any group or person make an aftermarket version of the board? What is a reasonable price that you would consider for the minimus these days? I know they originally went for $30USD and gradually went down before they pulled them.

I'd like to echo Commodore Scott and say welcome.

Well, towards the end there, they were for $5+ shipping from some sites. I'd be comfortable paying around $10-$15. The cheaper, the more I'd be apt to buy.

Oh, and thanks for any arraignments you might be able to broker!
***Build what you dig, bro. Build what you dig.***

jimmer

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 17, 2024, 06:03:11 pm
  • I want to play Defender like at the arcade.
« Reply #41 on: January 09, 2017, 03:53:37 pm »
From what i understand the Kade softare is still available and is open source but the add-on boards are no longer available, correct? Does any group or person make an aftermarket version of the board? What is a reasonable price that you would consider for the minimus these days? I know they originally went for $30USD and gradually went down before they pulled them.

The hardware is open source too, so anyone could get some made.  But I never saw the need for the pcb; extra parts and triple the soldering for what? Just solder screw terminals to the minimus if you want screw terminals (ie the KADE microarcade)
On forums jimmer speaks for himself as a Defender fan, not as proprietor of www.jbgaming.co.uk  << Is that advertising or disclosure ? or both ?

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Online Online
  • Last login:Today at 09:46:56 am
  • Designated spam hunter
« Reply #42 on: January 09, 2017, 03:59:15 pm »
From what i understand the Kade softare is still available and is open source but the add-on boards are no longer available, correct?
All encoders and the DIY kit currently show up as out-of-stock at the North American KADE Store.

I'm not sure if that is because the KADE team is out of Minimus boards, they are focusing on making cables and shipping the miniConsole+, or some combination of these and other factors.   :dunno

The person to PM about this is Sharpfork (Kevin) since he runs the KADE Store.

Does any group or person make an aftermarket version of the board?
A combination of relatively low sales-volume and the high per-unit cost of doing a small production run makes it difficult for a vendor to break even, especially when you don't need the breakout board.

You can solder to the Minimus through-holes . . .

. . . or use 2.54mm screw-terminals.

I've only heard of two third-party KADE-related boards.

1. Silverfox0786 designed and built some KADE compatible rotary joystick adapter boards here.

2. Nitz76 made a knockoff version of the KADE miniArcade here that doesn't use a Minimus board.

What is a reasonable price that you would consider for the minimus these days? I know they originally went for $30USD and gradually went down before they pulled them.
As with anything, reasonable is in the eye of the beholder.   >:D
- At $30 I don't think you'll get any takers.  There are far less expensive AVRs if you want to "roll your own" and for a few bucks more you can get a fully assembled plug-and-play encoder.
- At $20 you might get a few.
- At $15 you'll get more.
- At $10 it would be a pretty good deal.
- At $5 it would be a great deal.

I'm not an AVR vendor, but I suspect that the pricing sweet-spot would be somewhere in the $6-$12 range + shipping.

Scott

MaxRod

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 10, 2018, 09:20:47 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #43 on: January 09, 2017, 04:34:48 pm »
just wanted to chime in to this thread and say that the TX still makes minimus AVRs. They only sell to academia and hacker spaces these days tho. I'm personal friends with many of the TX guys including the founder and have a large batch of them here. If there is enough demand for them from the arcade scene, i can forward off your comments to them.

I just got into the arcade scene myself and bought a bartop kit from ebay. Haven't wired up player 2 yet but so far I'm having a blast.  :applaud:
Welcome aboard, MacRod.   ;D

If you can help arrange a way for arcade hobbyists to buy Minimus AVRs at a reasonable price, I'm sure that many members would be interested.   :cheers:

Scott

cheers. I'll forward the message off to them  if i get more feedback..I do have some questions tho.

I'd like to echo Commodore Scott and say welcome.

Well, towards the end there, they were for $5+ shipping from some sites. I'd be comfortable paying around $10-$15. The cheaper, the more I'd be apt to buy.

Oh, and thanks for any arraignments you might be able to broker!

Thanks everyone for the warm welcome.

The idea is to get them to do a nice, comfortable run in order to keep these kind of projects alive. Best case scenario is bulk buyers deal directly with the kade guys. Worst case scenario - i become the middle man. I'm not really looking to get into selling. I already dropped the founder an email so we will see how that goes.

I did try the kade software and flashed the 1p software onto a spare minimus for my bartop. So far I love it and think the project is amazing. Setup and flash was quick and painless.  I haven't tried the daughter board and i haven't tried the 2p option in the software. Can't seem to find a place that sells the daughter board. I guess that's my next focus.

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Online Online
  • Designated spam hunter
« Reply #44 on: January 09, 2017, 05:53:22 pm »
The idea is to get them to do a nice, comfortable run in order to keep these kind of projects alive.
That would be great.   :applaud:

I did try the kade software and flashed the 1p software onto a spare minimus for my bartop. So far I love it and think the project is amazing. Setup and flash was quick and painless.  I haven't tried the daughter board and i haven't tried the 2p option in the software.
Yeah, Jon really knocked it out of the park with that Loader software.   :notworthy:

Can't seem to find a place that sells the daughter board. I guess that's my next focus.
If Sharpfork (Kevin) doesn't have any remaining DIY KADE miniArcade kit- no AVR, you may want to search e-bay for "2.54mm screw terminal 12-position".  Two of those per AVR and you are good to go.  :cheers:

Another option is to solder two 12-position 0.1" (Dupont) pin headers on the AVR and use these pre-fab harnesses and a daisy-chain ground from Paradise Arcade Shop.

Scott

MaxRod

• Offline Offline
« Reply #45 on: January 09, 2017, 06:56:25 pm »
From what i understand the Kade softare is still available and is open source but the add-on boards are no longer available, correct?
All encoders and the DIY kit currently show up as out-of-stock at the North American KADE Store.

I'm not sure if that is because the KADE team is out of Minimus boards, they are focusing on making cables and shipping the miniConsole+, or some combination of these and other factors.   :dunno

The person to PM about this is Sharpfork (Kevin) since he runs the KADE Store.

Does any group or person make an aftermarket version of the board?
A combination of relatively low sales-volume and the high per-unit cost of doing a small production run makes it difficult for a vendor to break even, especially when you don't need the breakout board.

You can solder to the Minimus through-holes . . .

. . . or use 2.54mm screw-terminals.

I've only heard of two third-party KADE-related boards.

1. Silverfox0786 designed and built some KADE compatible rotary joystick adapter boards here.

2. Nitz76 made a knockoff version of the KADE miniArcade here that doesn't use a Minimus board.

What is a reasonable price that you would consider for the minimus these days? I know they originally went for $30USD and gradually went down before they pulled them.
As with anything, reasonable is in the eye of the beholder.   >:D
- At $30 I don't think you'll get any takers.  There are far less expensive AVRs if you want to "roll your own" and for a few bucks more you can get a fully assembled plug-and-play encoder.
- At $20 you might get a few.
- At $15 you'll get more.
- At $10 it would be a pretty good deal.
- At $5 it would be a great deal.

I'm not an AVR vendor, but I suspect that the pricing sweet-spot would be somewhere in the $6-$12 range + shipping.

Scott

Missed this one.

Silverfox0786's board looks really really good. I'd love to get one of those. Would be 100 times better with a little more space on the baord for screw holes and using mini screw terminals. This way it would still be small enough to be used even in the smallest of projects. Nitz76's board is just a little too expensive IMO. The price is heading towards ipac territory.

I just got a response from the TX head. He's on vacation with his kids so we will get together and explore the possibility of another run soon but he says even the academia guys are requesting them less and less as other stronger AVRs hit the market. My idea was to squeeze a batch in the academic/maker space group orders. Still holding out hope.

I do have a bag full of them here. I know two other former TX team mates that have stashes too. If we can get these out, that would be good.

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Online Online
  • Designated spam hunter
« Reply #46 on: January 09, 2017, 08:27:27 pm »
Silverfox0786's board looks really really good. I'd love to get one of those. Would be 100 times better with a little more space on the baord for screw holes and using mini screw terminals. This way it would still be small enough to be used even in the smallest of projects.
Silverfox0786's boards are specially designed for plug-and-play use with rotary joysticks like the LS-30 (Ikari Warriors) or the HAPP mechanical rotary stick.

Scott

MaxRod

• Offline Offline
« Reply #47 on: January 10, 2017, 12:16:01 pm »
yes i know what a rotary stick is. I have fond memories of ikari warriors in the arcades. I just opted to go with a basic setup for now. The bartop kit i bought from ebay was very disappointing. Had i known it was this basic i would have just made something myself. Been thinking about making a basic with the same shape about 4 or 5 feet tall.

Last night i had some small talk with another former TX member who does know about the kade. Lots of them are old sceners and anyone that knows about them knows they are very cynical. He has a box of them and he owes me a favor. I made it very clear that if he doesn't intent to use them that I fully expect them shipped to my door soon.

I set up my 2p controls on my bartop and I'm having a little bit of problems. Using the extended mode the 2nd player controls go crazy once you hit any of the following buttons first 1p start, 1p coin, 2p start, 2p coin and exit. Maybe i wired it up wrong? From what i can tell i did everything right.  ???

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Online Online
  • Designated spam hunter
« Reply #48 on: January 10, 2017, 08:23:03 pm »
Using the extended mode the 2nd player controls go crazy once you hit any of the following buttons first 1p start, 1p coin, 2p start, 2p coin and exit. Maybe i wired it up wrong?
In Loader there is a keyboard utility.

Press P1 Joystick Up, then P1 Joystick Down, then P1 Start -- the utility should register three keystrokes in the "Key (Code)" column:
- Up (38)
- Down (40)
- 1 (49)

When you test the start/coin/exit functons this way, what is the keyboard utility registering?

Can you be more specific about what P2 controls are doing? (additional keystrokes? dropped keystrokes?)

Scott

MaxRod

• Offline Offline
« Reply #49 on: January 11, 2017, 07:45:17 am »
looks like the kade site has been hacked. Has lots of links to ms, linkedin and other phishing logins.

whoever runs the site: If you want to switch hosts, let me know.

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Online Online
  • Designated spam hunter
« Reply #50 on: January 11, 2017, 08:12:55 am »
looks like the kade site has been hacked. Has lots of links to ms, linkedin and other phishing logins.

whoever runs the site: If you want to switch hosts, let me know.
I PM'd Kevin about it several hours ago and he replied, "The host is having issues with all sites.  I'll bug them again."

Scott

MaxRod

• Offline Offline
« Reply #51 on: January 12, 2017, 09:34:22 am »
Using the extended mode the 2nd player controls go crazy once you hit any of the following buttons first 1p start, 1p coin, 2p start, 2p coin and exit. Maybe i wired it up wrong?
In Loader there is a keyboard utility.

Press P1 Joystick Up, then P1 Joystick Down, then P1 Start -- the utility should register three keystrokes in the "Key (Code)" column:
- Up (38)
- Down (40)
- 1 (49)

When you test the start/coin/exit functons this way, what is the keyboard utility registering?

Can you be more specific about what P2 controls are doing? (additional keystrokes? dropped keystrokes?)

Scott

there was a thread on the kade forums where someone suffers from the same bug and explained it a bit better. it seems that if you hit any of what the kade team calls the utility buttons then p2 buttons 5 and 6 become the last utility button you pressed.

I got word that a bag with an unspecified amount of minimus was just shipped to me so im going to extend an offer to folks that contribute to kade. I have approximately 30 kade units for sale at 10 a piece. Will give an additional discount for anyone on the official kade team.

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Online Online
  • Designated spam hunter
« Reply #52 on: January 16, 2017, 03:54:51 am »
looks like the kade site has been hacked.
Good news!  The KADE Forums are back up.   ;D

there was a thread on the kade forums where someone suffers from the same bug and explained it a bit better. it seems that if you hit any of what the kade team calls the utility buttons then p2 buttons 5 and 6 become the last utility button you pressed.
Oops!  I forgot that dwill reported that bug here over a year ago. (No fix yet.  :( )

Since a bug-fix probably isn't coming any time soon, here are two approaches that you may want to consider:

1.)  Use a second Minimus -- either one Minimus for the player buttons/joysticks and another for the admin buttons or connect all of P1's buttons/joystick to one Minimus and all of P2's buttons/joystick to the other and split the admin buttons as you see fit.

2.)  If you don't want to use a second Minimus and you want your control panel to look the same (i.e. dedicated admin buttons instead of an "HWB" shift button) try option #2 here.

Quote from: PL1
2. Dedicated admin buttons with diodes
Uses diodes to block ground from connecting when other buttons are pressed.

This method allows one physical button press to electrically connect two inputs to ground.

Potential downside -- when HWB is pressed, any buttons/joystick directions that are pressed will output the related shifted function which may accidently trigger an undesired function.  :(

Scott
EDIT: Updated links to "kadevice.net".
« Last Edit: February 16, 2019, 04:54:30 pm by PL1 »

MaxRod

• Offline Offline
« Reply #53 on: January 16, 2017, 08:24:52 am »
the HWB thing seems annoying to me although wiring up the extended mode stuff wrecked my brain for a few hours.  Sharpfork wanted a shipment of kades so i reminded him of them and sent him the bug. If he doesn't fix it, I'll get a fellow TXer to look at it when time permits.

Don't want this to sound like a BST thread but i parted with a number of AVRs this weekend. Still have a few more and have a small shipment coming my way in the next few days.

Helder

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 20, 2017, 04:08:46 pm
« Reply #54 on: January 17, 2017, 07:42:09 pm »
Hi guys, I've recently stumbled onto the Kade project and see alot of people having issues with getting things to work on other boards besides the Minimus but the KADE team supports the ATMega32u2 so it should support the ATMega32u4 (I have alot of these chips and build my own controller board around it).

These chips can be easily programmed with the hex if use a a USBasp programmer and AVRDude which is bundled with the KADE miniConsole software but you need access to the ISP pins to use the programmer but most of these boards don't come with the pins broken out. I successfully programmed my controller board with the ATMega32u4 and loaded the DFU bootloader then used the miniConsole to program it and it worked fine but the pinout is definitely wrong but it worked.

The Kade Loader software would not recognize the board because it only has support for the 2 MCUs on their list (needs to be fixed so it works with the ATMega32u4). Basically this post is to say that it can be done with modern MCUs that are available today and the ATMega32u4 has more pins and memory and can be useful to open this up for more projects or features.

I'm willing to design a board with this MCU if someone on the software side(not my forte) fixes the KADE Loader to recognize the ATMega32u4. The good thing about a factory loose ATMega32u4 is that the DFU is already programmed into it so it will work right out of the box but I can also preprogram the boards with whatever hex they desire.

Let me know what you guys think and who can help with the software fix for this MCU.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2017, 04:24:26 pm by Helder »

MaxRod

• Offline Offline
« Reply #55 on: January 18, 2017, 09:08:11 am »
I agree 100% helder. The u4 is dirt cheap right now and readily available. I've even seen some of these on ebay being sold as leonardo clones for less than 4 dollars/pc.

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Online Online
  • Designated spam hunter
« Reply #56 on: February 16, 2017, 07:02:57 am »
The MattairTech 32u4 board with "atmel DFU" bootloader (used in KADESTICK) works with Bruno's miniArcade 2.0 Mapper program that is currently in development.

Scott

bootsector

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 29, 2018, 12:48:52 am
« Reply #57 on: February 16, 2017, 01:44:13 pm »
The MattairTech 32u4 board with "atmel DFU" bootloader (used in KADESTICK) works with Bruno's miniArcade 2.0 Mapper program that is currently in development.

Scott
Non-atmel DFU bootloader is preferable over Atmel's.

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Online Online
  • Designated spam hunter
« Reply #58 on: February 16, 2017, 02:30:29 pm »
Non-atmel DFU bootloader is preferable over Atmel's.
Good info.   ;D

I've only tested with "atmel DFU" which requires a pullup resistor -- projects certainly would be easier without the extra component.

Scott

equlizer

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 17, 2019, 02:56:48 am
  • All your base are belong to us

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Online Online
  • Designated spam hunter
« Reply #60 on: February 25, 2018, 02:13:26 am »
Will this software work with this?
https://www.amazon.ca/Elegoo-Board-ATmega2560-ATMEGA16U2-Arduino-Compatible/dp/B06XDB2CBG/ref=pd_cart_recs_2_4?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B06XDB2CBG&pd_rd_r=JHDX43RT8BXRTKWCHE88&pd_rd_w=tNmCX&pd_rd_wg=X6BZ4&psc=1&refRID=JHDX43RT8BXRTKWCHE88
SailorSat used a 2560 for her Super Off-Road Arduino encoder project (3 optical wheels, 3 pedals, multiple button inputs) but AFAIK none of the KADE software versions (miniArcade, miniConsole+, miniArcade 2.0) will automatically work with that board.

The primary processor for the Mega 2560 board is the ATmega2560 -- a souped-up version of the ATmega328.

The ATmega16u2 chip on the 2560 board is used for USB-to-serial communication when programming the board.

You might be able to work around the different processor and software, but considering the price of the board you linked to, you might as well get a known-compatible 32u4 board and use the miniArcade 2.0 software.

Scott