Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Building a "console emulator" computer!  (Read 23213 times)

mike boss

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 22, 2021, 01:19:45 pm
Re: Building a "console emulator" computer!
« Reply #80 on: February 16, 2015, 09:57:50 am »
I love the idea of this kind of project.
Like mentioned early in the thread, I am also not a purist.
I like the idea of everything in ONE place.
I've tried to do this on various projects and do indeed have console emulation, but MAME dominates.
However I've purchased a Hypserspin EXT HDD with EVERYTHING.
I'm now in the process of looking for wired USB versions of the various controllers.
Nothing found for the original Sega Master System or Turbo Grafx.

Either way....awesome project........it inspires me !

PS -- thanks for posting the Amazon link.

Did you ever consider wireless 360 controllers ? You can easily find the receiver on Ebay for under $10.

eds1275

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 21, 2024, 02:31:34 pm
  • Rock and Roll!
« Reply #81 on: February 16, 2015, 12:18:36 pm »
I thought of wireless controllers, but the way my living room is laid out made it easy to run a USB extensio under the couch to the coffee table and there's a 4 port usb hub there. I keep everything plugged in there so I don't have issues with the headache of reassigned USB gamepads every time I play.

mike boss

• Offline Offline
« Reply #82 on: February 16, 2015, 12:41:35 pm »
Super cool!
You've motivated me to dig thru the boxes downstairs and start gathering my goodies.
I was looking online, a retro USB Atari style joystick is kinda kinda costly in comparison to other models.
You've got me trying to think which route I should go for general gaming, wireless 360 type, or USB PS3 type.

eds1275

• Offline Offline
  • Rock and Roll!
« Reply #83 on: February 16, 2015, 01:30:17 pm »
My personal opinion is that modern controllers are just a better way to do it. I mean if I had 4 players for every console that supported it I'd have like 32 controllers. Unplug one, and it could cause a nightmare of usb device ids effing up your config!

The only one that is a little weird but still totally playable is N64. I've got the right joystick mapped to the C-buttons. Just takesw a little while to get used to.

mike boss

• Offline Offline
« Reply #84 on: February 16, 2015, 08:35:36 pm »
I blame my buddy Lucas for getting me on this "authentic" controller for the emulator kick!
Well..........not authentic......but retro knock off I guess.
All be it I haven't really tried the PC (retro) gaming with a modern controller.
I know playing some NES emulation on my arcade cabinet was really fun to say the least.
And I've warned that N64 emulation is really lacking when not using an authentic controller.
I guess for myself the reality is the cabinets don't get much use, so 4 players on any emulator would be rare.
IE - the need for 4 controllers per console would be minimal.
One controller per console would more so fit my needs.
But I like the point you made, perhaps the newer controllers do offer an overall better way of doing things.
4 x 360 or PS3 type controllers might just be the best option.
I also like what you said about mapping the N64 controller. I know that was another criticism.

If I can ask a question, without using a keyboard encoder (as one would do in an arcade cabinet) I guess mapping keys isn't really a big deal. I mean you can map the keys, but you don't need to worry about any function keys, etc ?

eds1275

• Offline Offline
  • Rock and Roll!
« Reply #85 on: February 16, 2015, 08:41:37 pm »
Actually I set up the front end to run off of player one controls, and that took care of that. And then I used Joy2Key to map Alt to one of the thumbstick buttons, and F4 to the other so when you push in both thumbsticks it exits. Apparently Mala can also set exit commands, but I found this the easiest way to go about it. None of the emulators I have use the thumbstick buttons.

mike boss

• Offline Offline
« Reply #86 on: February 16, 2015, 08:47:52 pm »
What emulators did you go with ?
I'd be (as I'm sure others would) interested to know what emulators you went with.
And perhaps anything special you did in the configuration, controls, etc.

PS - you running this on a TV or a PC monitor ?

eds1275

• Offline Offline
  • Rock and Roll!
« Reply #87 on: February 16, 2015, 09:01:28 pm »
In the living room off the television. I mainly use it for couch coop games so it has to be near the big couch!

I will create a list and post if of the emus used later tonight before my mario party!

eds1275

• Offline Offline
  • Rock and Roll!
« Reply #88 on: February 16, 2015, 10:36:59 pm »
Nintendo 64 - Project 64
Nintendo NES - Nestopia
SNES - SNES9X
3d0 - FourD0
Sega Master, Genesis, 32x, CD  - Fusion
Sega Dream Cast - NullDC
Turbo GrafX 16 - Turbo Engine
Atari Jaguar - Virtual Jaguar
I also have the various Ataris and Intellivision but the controls have been finicky as the emulators don't really behave well. I will get around to it but until then it is undecided. I also have a few PC games on there, such as Resident Evil 1 & 2, Metal Gear Sold and VR Missions, Maniac Mansion Deluxe, and Fallout 1. I use the latest version of each emulator and that works pretty good.

mgb

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 21, 2024, 06:18:13 pm
  • North East, US
« Reply #89 on: February 17, 2015, 08:32:46 pm »
Hey ed,
Not sure if you've ever played it but if not, I'd highly reccomend you get vice or ccs64 on there and try some Jumpman and jumpman jr.
Jumpman is one of my favorites from my youth and I still fully enjoy playing it.
You will need to use a keyboard though for selecting levels and what not.
To me, it plays equally well with arcade controls or sitting back on the couch

eds1275

• Offline Offline
  • Rock and Roll!
« Reply #90 on: February 17, 2015, 09:22:19 pm »
I've got Vice on there when I have a hankering for Jumpman, Paradroid, Impossible Mission, etc. It's just not hooked up to the frontend as each game would require a save stte loading procedure, and I'd have to set them all up individually. They are there though!

Vigo

• the Scourage of Carpathia
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+24)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 21, 2024, 08:20:28 am
« Reply #91 on: February 18, 2015, 12:47:12 am »
Yep, That part is very tedious, but rewarding. To do it right, you need to use joy2key batch files to get custom controls on each game. Worth the effort for those C64 games that use keyboard controls or default to port 2.

eds1275

• Offline Offline
  • Rock and Roll!
« Reply #92 on: April 17, 2015, 02:49:57 am »
So I've had this thing running for a while now. It's dead simple to operate. It gets a lot of play; worked my way through RE1, RE: Nemesis, and RE Code Veronica, now working on Dino Crisis for Sega Saturn. We have Mario Parties and Kart tournaments. And I get in some alone time with the Genesis and SNES often enough, along with Road Rash for 3d0.

The annoying downside is that sometimes people will just want to try everything. I personally like to pick a game and play it and really give it a chance.

Not out of any sort of "I'm the boss of gaming" but just through I grab the controller first, I almost always end up being the one to start, select, exit, and shutdown the system. I was working and my wife had a bunch of ladies over. They had a wine-fuelled 5 hour Mario Kart tournament, and no issues getting anything to work. There are no instructions or anything. It made me happy that it was intuitive enough to just turn on and start gaming.

eds1275

• Offline Offline
  • Rock and Roll!
« Reply #93 on: January 16, 2020, 07:10:40 pm »
This is an old thread. Things are different in my life, but I still have the Nintari and it still gets love.

My girlfriend wants gamecube,