Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Building a "console emulator" computer!  (Read 23223 times)

Wired203

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 03, 2016, 09:22:59 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Re: Building a "console emulator" computer!
« Reply #40 on: October 06, 2014, 09:20:49 pm »
I had done this years ago using meedio as a front end with my htpc and it was a lot of fun,  then the dog ate the cords and years went by.  This was about 7 years ago.  I recently completely rebuilt my htpc with win7, xbmc, advanced launcher, and retroarch.  The combo is amazing and using a Celeron dual core 1.8 gig processor/8gigs of ram/zotec 630 video card I am able to run all systems up to n64 without issue and haven't tried better systems as of yet.

The bonus is a great layout to launch your games from and oh yeah all of your music/tv/movies in a very visually appealing setup.

mgb

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 21, 2024, 06:18:13 pm
  • North East, US
« Reply #41 on: October 06, 2014, 09:37:38 pm »
I had done this years ago using meedio as a front end with my htpc and it was a lot of fun,  then the dog ate the cords and years went by.  This was about 7 years ago.  I recently completely rebuilt my htpc with win7, xbmc, advanced launcher, and retroarch.  The combo is amazing and using a Celeron dual core 1.8 gig processor/8gigs of ram/zotec 630 video card I am able to run all systems up to n64 without issue and haven't tried better systems as of yet.

The bonus is a great layout to launch your games from and oh yeah all of your music/tv/movies in a very visually appealing setup.

First off, welcome
I'm interested in this setup you have. Not the hardware, as I already have a htpc with classic console emu but I'm interested in your xbmc, advanced launcher, retroarch setup.
I currently just kinda have all my stuff on the pc without one clean interface.
I've tried some stuff but nothing that really thrilled me.

Wired203

• Offline Offline
« Reply #42 on: October 06, 2014, 10:59:01 pm »
XBMC is the media front end with multiple skin support,  Retroarch is a emulation project which bundles several different emu's in the same package with shader support (yes my lcd looks like a crt) and advanced launcher is a addon for xbmc that scrapes info/images for your rom library to make it look professional.

I first re-did it a few weeks ago via openelec the Linux xbmc software but had some bugs and hardware support issues so I went to win7.  Here is the link I used for setting it up via Linux and it's similar but a lot easier for windows.

http://openelec.tv/forum/128-addons/71535-guides-retroarch-friends#109977

eds1275

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 10:43:03 am
  • Rock and Roll!
« Reply #43 on: October 08, 2014, 05:38:52 am »
Somehow I blanked out Turbo Grafx 16 from memory. Downloaded it yesterday afternoon and sometime right before dinner I realized I was addicted to Bonk's Adventure.

Bonk is the only game I ever played on the TG16 because they had it at the entrance to radio shack (back when it was a cool store... 1988? 1990?) My brothers would look at remote controlled cars and I would bonk it up for 15 minutes.

mgb

• Offline Offline
  • North East, US
« Reply #44 on: October 08, 2014, 10:01:12 am »
Tg16 has some decent games.
I've played around with the emu of it.

When I was a kid, I only ever saw one.
I remember we were skipping school one day and we hung out at this guys house.
He was playing Bonk.
I remember thinking wow, this system is gonna be the next big system.
I don't think I ever knew anyone else with one after that.

Wired203

• Offline Offline
« Reply #45 on: October 08, 2014, 10:13:17 am »
I owned one got it as a trade when I was younger,  came with 2 games bonks adventure and keith courage both of which were a lot of fun to play.
TG16 always makes it on my emulators list.

lilshawn

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 04:40:51 pm
  • I break stuff...then fix it...sometimes
« Reply #46 on: October 08, 2014, 10:17:22 am »
He was playing Bonk.

Dude, where we like, neighbors or something? That EXACT same scenario happened to me. The Kid that lived upstairs from me had a spankin' new TG16 and I also skipped school (along with a few friends) to check it out. I was blown away by it. Shame it never really caught on. I think the price point was a killer for it considering the NES was cheap as all hell. Everybody I knew had a NES.

mgb

• Offline Offline
  • North East, US
« Reply #47 on: October 08, 2014, 10:25:25 am »
He was playing Bonk.

Dude, where we like, neighbors or something? That EXACT same scenario happened to me. The Kid that lived upstairs from me had a spankin' new TG16 and I also skipped school (along with a few friends) to check it out. I was blown away by it. Shame it never really caught on. I think the price point was a killer for it considering the NES was cheap as all hell. Everybody I knew had a NES.

Did you end down the beach, drunk also? ;D

lilshawn

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 04:40:51 pm
  • I break stuff...then fix it...sometimes
« Reply #48 on: October 08, 2014, 10:38:11 am »
He was playing Bonk.

Did you end down the beach, drunk also? ;D

no, but did go into the ravine behind our house and smoke a bunch of pot though... Finished off the day playing my friends bootleg 100-in-1 NES cart. Horay for graphis glitches!  :lol

I remember the "Rambo" game was the laziest rip off EVER. super mario with the mario sprite changed to look like a "generic army guy". Funny thing was it was only the first frame of him standing still. All the rest of the sprite animations frames for everything else was mario.  :laugh2:

thomas_surles

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 19, 2023, 07:20:00 pm
« Reply #49 on: October 11, 2014, 10:02:34 am »
I think you should build the case from wood. Just Google "wooden pc case"
It would make a nice edition to your entertainment center.

Slippyblade

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 16, 2023, 11:39:51 am
  • And to the death god we say, "Not today!"
« Reply #50 on: October 11, 2014, 02:17:50 pm »
I love some of the retro/futuristic case designs those guys make out of wood.  My favorite was an old refurbished tube radio case.  Looked amazing.

eds1275

• Offline Offline
  • Rock and Roll!
« Reply #51 on: October 11, 2014, 03:35:52 pm »
If I do make a case, it'll be black so it hides nicely with my xbox one, blu ray player, and home theatre amp/receiver. But the PC I have in mind comes in a black case so I may just leave it as is.

Wired203

• Offline Offline
« Reply #52 on: October 11, 2014, 09:04:41 pm »
This is the case I have it's the black one.  Big bonuses are built in infrared and power on via remote so I can be lazy and sit on my duff and power it on when needed.

http://www.silverstonetek.com/product.php?pid=81&area=en

ChadTower

• Chief Kicker - Nobody's perfect, including me. Fantastic body.
  • Trade Count: (+12)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 19, 2022, 12:01:54 pm
« Reply #53 on: October 14, 2014, 04:56:57 pm »
If I do make a case, it'll be black so it hides nicely with my xbox one, blu ray player, and home theatre amp/receiver. But the PC I have in mind comes in a black case so I may just leave it as is.

Why not just put it in an original Xbox case then?  Should be big enough.

eds1275

• Offline Offline
  • Rock and Roll!
« Reply #54 on: October 14, 2014, 05:40:52 pm »

Why not just put it in an original Xbox case then?  Should be big enough.

I'm happy leaving it in a black PC case. Easiest option, built in cooling, it will already match the black stuff in my home theatre. I've decided if I do anything, it will be a custom front plate to hide the computery-ness of it. I was thinking of the name Nintari 16x cdo... combining nintendo, atari, sega cd and 32x, 3do, and turbo grafx 16's names in there as well as a nod to willie beamish.

mike boss

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 22, 2021, 01:19:45 pm
« Reply #55 on: October 20, 2014, 07:44:47 pm »
A friend of mine has a PC set up with HyperSpin (one of the hard drive images you see sold in various places), MAME, and console emulation.

He uses USB versions of the various console controllers. An idea I think is rather neat.
USB version of the NES and SNES controller, an adapter for N64. Not sure what he does for Sega consoles, or Turbo GRFX 16, none the less I like the idea.

I hear a ton of good things about the wired XBOX 360 controllers.

I have several modified XBOX consoles with Coin-Ops installed. Some of which just have the XBMC skin and various emulator with complete US ROM sets. I never actually thought on it, but as noted in this thread the OUYA is a modern replacement.
Simply put all your ROM files on a flash drive and download the emulators from the store.
Most (if not all) are free. The OUYA controller is not the best, but I have used it with a wireless USB PS3 controller I picked up for $10.

The only issue I have had (and this is my fault for not making the time to solve this) is using all 3 of the PS3 USB controllers along with the original OUYA controller. I'd like to able to have 4 player gaming working.

The idea of a PC is a good idea, I've always liked that idea. As I said I also like the idea of controllers true to the consoles themselves (if doable). The XBOX is a little outdated , and the OUYA a great modern replacement. For simplicity you might want to look into it.

jdbailey1206

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 11, 2023, 01:32:56 pm
  • No. It's your top score on Pole Position.
« Reply #56 on: November 15, 2014, 08:48:03 am »
 :bump I want an update yo!

eds1275

• Offline Offline
  • Rock and Roll!
« Reply #57 on: November 15, 2014, 01:52:08 pm »
I have all the emulators and roms downloaded, but as I said earlier probably won't actually have the computer until xmas. I did however gather a few pieces of art for my NinTari logo, I'll probably put that together today.

thomas_surles

• Offline Offline
« Reply #58 on: November 18, 2014, 12:02:59 am »
I have all the emulators and roms downloaded, but as I said earlier probably won't actually have the computer until xmas. I did however gather a few pieces of art for my NinTari logo, I'll probably put that together today.
cool I like the name. I'm working on one as well right now I call it "RetroMax"

jdbailey1206

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 11, 2023, 01:32:56 pm
  • No. It's your top score on Pole Position.
« Reply #59 on: November 18, 2014, 07:39:29 am »
... as I said earlier probably won't actually have the computer until xmas....

eds1275

• Offline Offline
  • Rock and Roll!
« Reply #60 on: December 15, 2014, 02:55:05 pm »
I'm going to cut a piece of black acrylic to cover the face ofthe PC and have this logo on the front. The acrylic will be velcro'd on so I can access the dvd drive if need be. The white in the circle will remain, but the black text will be changed to a grey to stand out against the black. The white behind will be clear.

thomas_surles

• Offline Offline
« Reply #61 on: December 19, 2014, 09:35:15 pm »
Looks good. I'm working on mine but I ran into a problem. The hdmi on the laptop I'm using isn't working. Still trying to figure it out before I build the box.

Demon-Seed

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 04, 2022, 09:51:02 am
    • DemonCade (WORKING URL!)
« Reply #62 on: December 26, 2014, 08:51:37 am »
Oddly enough I have just made a similar post! I have looked into OUYA and I have been told PSX and is hit and miss... The guys on an ouya forum told me you have to mess around with settings... that sucks.    I think I am going to build a PC.. however I have been out of the hardware game for so long, not sure what to get.
Life is like a video game, a good one never dies..

eds1275

• Offline Offline
  • Rock and Roll!
« Reply #63 on: December 26, 2014, 10:34:21 am »
I figured that a PC is the most versatile, upgradeable, and has the most online help available, as well as the largest selection of emulators. Ordered mine on the 24th, but likely won't get it for 2 weeks.

**just got my confirmation email. Total cost $224 Canadian, shipped. I'm pretty excited. I started wrking on a widescreen mala layout which I will share when complete.... Fairly basic but highlights the consoles nicely. I suppose today ill rip a bunch of blu rays of emulators and roms.

eds1275

• Offline Offline
  • Rock and Roll!
« Reply #64 on: December 29, 2014, 03:57:19 pm »
As the excitement builds (already planned a super spike v'ball tournament!) I have been working on my mala layout. I figured I'd post my art files in case anyone else wants them. Super basic, but does what I need it to. I have also included a blank page in the .zip just in case. If you dont like the nintari logo it's easy to erase and fill in. If you do, it's also included as a separate file. Here are a few samples and the zip with all the emu pages can be found in the first post of this thread. I tried my best to match each manufacturer's text font.

I also googled for a compilation of video game music that did not disappoint. That will be the menu music.

I am on the lookout for usb gamepads with 2 rows of 3 buttons, and at least 2 shoulder buttons if not 4. So if anyone spots any let me know! I ordered 4 USB SNES pads for $4 each from china for the meantime, but of course sometimes you need an analogue stick.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Super-Controller-USB-Gamepad-Joypad-for-Nintendo-Windows-Mac-SF-SNES-PC-NEW-M2-/151446864029?ssPageName=ADME:L:OU:CA:3160

Update for January 3 - should arrive on the fifth. It's in town, but Purolator is closed on the weekend.

eds1275

• Offline Offline
  • Rock and Roll!
« Reply #65 on: January 05, 2015, 12:40:14 pm »
It arrived! I'm really glad to have gotten everything prepared beforehand. Now all I have to do is wait for the blu-rays to dump their data to the harddrive, and then configure the front end and emulators.

After using this computer for a few minutes I am impressed with the quality and speed for $184. The only downsides being the absolute garbage keyboard. It just has blank keys where the windows logo should be, and is the loudest keyboard this side of manual typewriters. The mouse is comfortable, even more so than the HP mouse I am currently using, but feels super cheap and is also loud. The cables on both are extra thin and hold the shape of any bend, so I assume they are solid core wires inside. I didn't even expect a keyboard/mouse to come with it, but they are so bad I don't know why they bothered!

Upon actually setting it up, the computer is a lot deeper than the photos made it look and just barely fits on the shelf. The emulators took a while to configure but almost everything is running 100% perfectly. I had a maddening issue with joy2key because I had accidentally set a folder to read only and would reset every time the computer went off.

Ialso attached a 32x/genesis page up because I had them separate but decided I will just have them on one page.

eds1275

• Offline Offline
  • Rock and Roll!
« Reply #66 on: January 07, 2015, 06:37:01 pm »
Here's a video I slapped together of it in the meantime. Ignore my rambling, I didn't really know what to say.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=WXlrJbUgH74

Slippyblade

• Offline Offline
« Reply #67 on: January 08, 2015, 08:40:01 pm »
In your video you mention 360 controllers not being ideal for certain things.  I'm gonna try these guys.  The price is low enough it's not a major deal if they suck.

Six face buttons and 4 shoulders.  D-pad and two analog sticks.  Should cover just about everything.

http://www.amazon.com/Sabrent-Twelve-Button-Game-Controller-USB-GAMEPAD/dp/B00AEWTSWU/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1420767180&sr=1-1&keywords=6+button+gamepad

« Last Edit: January 08, 2015, 08:42:01 pm by Slippyblade »

mgb

• Offline Offline
  • North East, US
« Reply #68 on: January 09, 2015, 07:38:24 am »
I use 360 wired controllers on my console emulation and love 'em.

Slippyblade

• Offline Offline
« Reply #69 on: January 10, 2015, 09:09:35 pm »
Quick question, eds1275.  I noticed in your FE pics show an Intellivision, you also say that you are using 360 controllers.  What do you do for games that actually use the keypad?

eds1275

• Offline Offline
  • Rock and Roll!
« Reply #70 on: January 11, 2015, 01:04:11 pm »
What do you do for games that actually use the keypad?

To be honest the intellivision and ataris (except for jaguar) still need some tweakin'. I can't map controls because they do not recognize a dead zone on the analog joysticks and when I go to map controls they get auto mapped to whatever way they are sensing the joystick jiggling.

However on the atari jaguar which also has a keypad I use one of the analogue joysticks, mapped to all directions plus thumbstick in for 1-9 and then second joystick direction for #0*. Takes a second to get used to but most games don't use every button on the number pad.

Random thing: Sega CD's Wheel of Fortune is my current fav. game.

Also I added the Dreamcast to the list of consoles on my machine and put the .zip in the first post of this thread. I will keep updating it as I go.

thomas_surles

• Offline Offline
« Reply #71 on: January 25, 2015, 08:50:17 am »
I demand more updates! :hissy:

eds1275

• Offline Offline
  • Rock and Roll!
« Reply #72 on: January 25, 2015, 06:42:00 pm »
Well, it gets a lot of use. Since I got the n64 emu working therehas been non stop Mario parties and aro kart. When my iwfe goes to bed I play resident evil on the dreamcast. My friend crystal comes over to play Mario 3 for nes, and my buddy mark and I play Wimbledon on Sega master system and super spike v ball on Nes.

thomas_surles

• Offline Offline
« Reply #73 on: January 26, 2015, 10:48:27 pm »
Sounds fun. I wish I had friends that play games.

mgb

• Offline Offline
  • North East, US
« Reply #74 on: January 28, 2015, 07:40:11 pm »
I wish I had friends

eds1275

• Offline Offline
  • Rock and Roll!
« Reply #75 on: February 06, 2015, 03:01:00 am »
You guys are welcome to come play games with me. Just byob, and some to share!

Lately I have been on a disgusting Resident Evil kick. Resident Evil Code Veronica, Resident Evil 3, and now playing the first, PC version which was a pain due to it being for Windows 95. So of course I had to make up a select page for PC gaming. It's got RE and Maniac Mansion Deluxe on it, but I plan on adding the first few fallouts and maybe some others. I will add the PC page to the folder tomorrow and reupload it.

I was wondering, is Sega Saturn worth emulating? My harddrive has like >1gb remaining and I dunno if I'm going to throw in another one or just be done with it. It's pretty spectacular as it is but I find that the more I play it, the more my xbox one collects dust. I really enjoy having games I can play for a bit and turn off without having a million things to remember or 60 hours of fetch quests.

Malenko

• KNEEL BEFORE ZODlenko!
  • Trade Count: (+58)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 26, 2024, 07:29:48 pm
  • Have you played with my GingerBalls?
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,142404.msg1475162.html
« Reply #76 on: February 06, 2015, 03:18:49 pm »
I was wondering, is Sega Saturn worth emulating? My harddrive has like >1gb remaining and I dunno if I'm going to throw in another one or just be done with it.

Thats a yes and no question. Its worth emulating, but only for the games that arent arcade ports that can be used with arcade controls. Its got some good platformers like ShinoniX and to a lesser extent Astal , Legend of Oasis is a nice zelda ish, top down RPG; then theres the fighting games like Last Bronx and my fave "Fighters Megamix"; come on you can fight as the AM2 palm tree and the Hornet Car!

other games Id suggest checking out include Dragon Force, Guardian Heroes, Shining the Holy Arc, Symphony of the Night (everyone including me loves the PSX version, but this one has a bigger map, extra area, and emulating the ISO cuts out most of the load time issues) , Clockwork Knight 1 & 2, Die Hard Arcade, and Galactic Attack. If you dont have 3DO emulated, the saturn version of Road Rash is almost as good as the 3DO version.
If you're replying to a troll you are part of the problem.
I also need to follow this advice. Ignore or report, don't reply.

Louis Tully

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 13, 2015, 09:41:03 pm
« Reply #77 on: February 06, 2015, 03:35:09 pm »
« Last Edit: February 12, 2015, 07:31:13 pm by Louis Tully »

Slippyblade

• Offline Offline
« Reply #78 on: February 06, 2015, 05:24:37 pm »
Loved Clockwork Knight - had totally forgotten about it till your post though.
Oh, man... I know what I'm doing this weekend.  ;D

Thanks, man.  :cheers:

butanebob

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 03, 2022, 05:29:52 am
« Reply #79 on: February 06, 2015, 07:15:02 pm »
I was wondering, is Sega Saturn worth emulating?
It's worth it for Panzer Dragoon Saga alone.