Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Building a "console emulator" computer!  (Read 23221 times)

eds1275

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 10:43:03 am
  • Rock and Roll!
Building a "console emulator" computer!
« on: September 25, 2014, 12:22:30 pm »
I am 0% purist. I just want to play my games, and have decided to just build a computer to run everything, and have 4 wired controllers attached. I plan on fixing them to the case so they can't be unplugged and lose their ID's so that once the initial setups are done there should in theory be minimal hassle. I haven't decided on the controllers yet, but am in no rush. Just been acquiring roms and emulators so far.

I was always a few years behind on consoles, and often had older consoles that were rare and didn't really know any better. Plus I had games nobody else did, and that was cool  ;D I had the atari Jaguar, 3d0, 32x... but I plan on putting the sega cd, genesis, snes, n64, nes, and there's a few others I can't think of right now.

I read in another thread that n64 emulation isn't up to snuff yet, but in my experience there hasn't been many issues I haven't resolved. Same with 3d0, but Jaguar emulation is still buggy. Still, the games I am most interested in on the jag seem to work. I really hoped for c64 but it looks like it'd be way too much work. It'll be on there, but not in the main menu. Every once in a while I get an itching for some paradroid....

Generic Eric

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 05, 2024, 09:02:23 am
  • Restore! Don't maim for MAME, build from scratch!
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,143226.0.html
Re: Building a "console emulator" computer!
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2014, 12:39:19 pm »
I am 0% purist. I just want to play my games, and have decided to just build a computer to run everything, and have 4 wired controllers attached. I plan on fixing them to the case so they can't be unplugged and lose their ID's so that once the initial setups are done there should in theory be minimal hassle. I haven't decided on the controllers yet, but am in no rush. Just been acquiring roms and emulators so far.

I was always a few years behind on consoles, and often had older consoles that were rare and didn't really know any better. Plus I had games nobody else did, and that was cool  ;D I had the atari Jaguar, 3d0, 32x... but I plan on putting the sega cd, genesis, snes, n64, nes, and there's a few others I can't think of right now.

I read in another thread that n64 emulation isn't up to snuff yet, but in my experience there hasn't been many issues I haven't resolved. Same with 3d0, but Jaguar emulation is still buggy. Still, the games I am most interested in on the jag seem to work. I really hoped for c64 but it looks like it'd be way too much work. It'll be on there, but not in the main menu. Every once in a while I get an itching for some paradroid....

Check this out: http://imgur.com/gallery/ufcvW  Its a list of consoles and handhelds with the posters favorite emu.  check the comments for updates and counterpoints.

If you start with a list of consoles, you can research the emu for the minimum and recommended specs.  Then you can choose a PC based around that.  In the end, maybe you can write up a nice white paper around the best emulators and what ever work-arounds you are suggesting.

What controller are you going to use? 

Other than Tetrisphere, I don't know what else you need on N64.

eds1275

• Offline Offline
  • Rock and Roll!
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2014, 12:45:09 pm »
wcw vs nwo of course! I never had an n64, but since having the emulator I have set up controller profiles for 007 goldeneye to work like a modern shooter (left stick moves, right stick looks around) and it is great.

Of course everything runs fine on my recording studio computer but it's a beast. I have been looking at this thing for a PC http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883266573 mainly because it will fit in the hole where my wife's vcr was before I gave it away. She didn't notice for 5 months.

Slippyblade

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 16, 2023, 11:39:51 am
  • And to the death god we say, "Not today!"
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2014, 04:42:48 pm »
She didn't notice for 5 months.

You, sir, are a genius.

Vigo

• the Scourage of Carpathia
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+24)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 21, 2024, 08:20:28 am
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2014, 05:02:22 pm »
I really hoped for c64 but it looks like it'd be way too much work. It'll be on there, but not in the main menu. Every once in a while I get an itching for some paradroid....

Pick 15-20 C64 games you absolutely love. Spend time making joy2key batch files to put the controls exactly how you want them and making save states to avoid the loading screens. Add more games as needed later. Totally worth it.

eds1275

• Offline Offline
  • Rock and Roll!
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2014, 05:54:51 pm »
She didn't notice for 5 months.

You, sir, are a genius.

Meanwhile, she hadn't noticed that she had filled up the excess closet space with new clothes that was previously occupied with boxes of video tapes  :angry:

I ran into some issues with Fourdo not loading some games. Looked up online and found many others were experiencing the same issues, and eventually figured out how to fix it myself. I had to go to the .iso, click properties, uncheck read-only and select "unblock" from the menu.

thomas_surles

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 19, 2023, 07:20:00 pm
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2014, 11:37:54 pm »
Go with 360 wired controller. This gives you the option of playing more pc games that only support 360 controllers.

yotsuya

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 01:02:22 pm
  • 2014 UCA Winner, 2014, 2015, 2016 ZapCon Winner
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,137636.msg1420628.html
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2014, 12:32:01 am »
Go with 360 wired controller. This gives you the option of playing more pc games that only support 360 controllers.

I agree with my homie Surles on this.
***Build what you dig, bro. Build what you dig.***

ark_ader

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 02, 2019, 07:35:34 pm
  • I glow in the dark.
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2014, 04:01:13 am »
Get a Xbox and call it a day.
If I had only one wish, it would be for three more wishes.

Alistair Keith

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 25, 2014, 11:24:17 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2014, 08:56:45 am »
An Ouya works with quite a lot of emulators (pretty much anything Android can play)... So you could try that and it works with a lot of different wireless controllers, which is pretty cool.
West Ham United Fan
Playstation Fan
Own a Bespoke Arcades sitdown.
Now building myself my own standup with as many games as possible!

eds1275

• Offline Offline
  • Rock and Roll!
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2014, 09:15:52 am »
Get a Xbox and call it a day.

Why would I hack an xbox when a PC is so simple to set up? I haven't seen a decent front end on a hacked xbox ever.

ChadTower

• Chief Kicker - Nobody's perfect, including me. Fantastic body.
  • Trade Count: (+12)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 19, 2022, 12:01:54 pm
« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2014, 11:33:53 am »

And frankly the Xbox is a seriously overrated machine for emulators.  It's convenient if you happen to have one already sitting around.  It was cool if you had one running XBMC 5 years ago and also wanted emulators.  Today it's a bad choice considering all of the things that have come out in the last few years.

knave

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 13, 2023, 03:32:33 pm
« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2014, 11:58:28 am »
An Ouya works with quite a lot of emulators (pretty much anything Android can play)... So you could try that and it works with a lot of different wireless controllers, which is pretty cool.

I concur.  ;)

And as an added note: The OUYA is superior in every way to an old modded xbox for emulation. Not to mention XBMC and all the media features...plus you don't have to mod it rather can customize if you wish. A PC is still more versatile/powerful but requires more set up not to mention costs a lot more than the $60 you would spend on an OUYA if you shop around...

I wish the old Xboxes were good for something...I have four in a box in my garage. and while my modded xbox was awesome back in the day it has been replaced.

thomas_surles

• Offline Offline
« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2014, 12:02:52 pm »
I am building a console pc for my brother. Just maybe a rectangular wood box with a power button and usb ports on the front. So he can hook it up to his tv for a true console feel. That being said I would love to see you make a console case for it.

Vigo

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2014, 12:21:16 pm »
I am building a console pc for my brother. Just maybe a rectangular wood box with a power button and usb ports on the front. So he can hook it up to his tv for a true console feel. That being said I would love to see you make a console case for it.

You can consider doing something like I did:

http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,107220.0.html

pbj

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 03:47:56 pm
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #15 on: September 26, 2014, 12:44:11 pm »
Original Xbox is alright but I probably won't be messing with them in the future.  The Kades have really made them a viable option again - you don't have to hack up controllers and you can reuse the Kades on another device down the road.  Really your only additional cost is the USB->Xbox cables.  I've got it all rigged to come up with the power strip and I'm from powered off to booting a game in 20 seconds.  If you want to play absolutely nothing besides old arcade games, they're fine.  Lots of neat stuff has come out since, though.

thomas_surles

• Offline Offline
« Reply #16 on: September 26, 2014, 12:51:58 pm »

You can consider doing something like I did:

http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,107220.0.html

love it

Vigo

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #17 on: September 26, 2014, 01:15:00 pm »
Thanks, friend.  8) I agree with you, the fact of having an actual "Console" makes a difference. Old broken NES's are abundant and roomy machines to use as a console case. I always thought a dreamcast would be an incredible console to dump a PC in for classic gaming. 4 players, analog stick, but still better for classic gaming than the n64 controller. I kinda would be unsure of what to do with the VMU slot on the controllers, but I think there would be some possibilities.

SavannahLion

• Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 19, 2015, 02:28:15 am
« Reply #18 on: September 26, 2014, 03:47:31 pm »
I kinda would be unsure of what to do with the VMU slot on the controllers, but I think there would be some possibilities.

Retrofit them to accept SD cards.
Configure your emulator options (scripting?) to ensure your emulator save states are saved to the respective players SD card (or both, whatever).
Now Johnny can keep his saves separate from Sarah's and neither will stomp all over the others save when they play.

Just a thought.  :dunno I really didn't consider all the particulars of that idea.

My kids bicker all the time on the Wii whenever they overwrite anyone else's saved games. The 360 isn't so bad as the saved games appear to be tied into a particular account.

eds1275

• Offline Offline
  • Rock and Roll!
« Reply #19 on: September 28, 2014, 07:03:28 pm »
I think it'll be around xmas before I can get a dedicated computer for this, but in the meantime for anyone who does emulators even on their arcade machine alongside mame - most of the emulators I see don't have a dedicated, configurable exit command. Do you just set up an AHK script for this? How else can you go about doing that?

thomas_surles

• Offline Offline
« Reply #20 on: September 28, 2014, 11:39:51 pm »
I think it'll be around xmas before I can get a dedicated computer for this, but in the meantime for anyone who does emulators even on their arcade machine alongside mame - most of the emulators I see don't have a dedicated, configurable exit command. Do you just set up an AHK script for this? How else can you go about doing that?
I assumed you will be using a frontend to do the exiting.

eds1275

• Offline Offline
  • Rock and Roll!
« Reply #21 on: September 29, 2014, 02:38:56 pm »
I will be using mala most likely, but I dont know if it can handle exiting programs.

Slippyblade

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 16, 2023, 11:39:51 am
  • And to the death god we say, "Not today!"
« Reply #22 on: September 29, 2014, 05:35:18 pm »
I will be using mala most likely, but I dont know if it can handle exiting programs.
Pretty sure it can.  I believe it added exit hook procedures a few versions ago.  Haven't tested that yet though.

thomas_surles

• Offline Offline
« Reply #23 on: September 29, 2014, 05:51:05 pm »
Pretty sure it can.  I believe it added exit hook procedures a few versions ago.  Haven't tested that yet though.
if all fails maximus arcade works like a dream. You could lose the arcade style skin and make a New
Console theme for it.

mgb

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 21, 2024, 06:18:13 pm
  • North East, US
« Reply #24 on: October 04, 2014, 12:01:33 am »
I built a pc last year for the same thing.
Besides Netflix, YouTube and general browsing, I'm using it for games.
It's an asus motherboard with an AMD A8 3870k, Windows 7, 8G ram, a 128G SSD for the
OS and a 1TB for files. It's cased in a Lanbox lite case and hooked up to my LCD TV.
Not exactly what's considered a gaming power house but it handles everything well and it's quiet.
I have all my classic console emus on it.
For me, C64 is a must but really just for Jumpman.
I also use it regularly for games on Steam.

As far as controllers, I typically just use the xbox360 wired controllers, they're excellent.
I have a pair of the snes USB controllers but the Xbox ones just work great.

Are you looking to play some more modern games on this PC too?

eds1275

• Offline Offline
  • Rock and Roll!
« Reply #25 on: October 04, 2014, 01:36:56 pm »
Nah, I'm torn on whether I want to go PS1 or gamecube or neither. As it is right now, I have these running:

sega genesis/cd/master/I think some 32x
nintendo nes/snes/n64
3d0
atari jaguar
maniac mansion deluxe :)

And I think that's plenty. PS1 really didn't age well. The once mind blowing graphics of syphon filter now leave me wondering if that thing is a tree or a building or possibly my character... and gamecube, well I never had one so I dunno if it'd be worth it.

mgb

• Offline Offline
  • North East, US
« Reply #26 on: October 04, 2014, 10:10:58 pm »
I agree about PS1.
I really can care less about that generation of consoles myself.

How about more current games though.

I love playing games from Steam.

During a windy rainy day today,
My son and I went from playing Super Nintendo to some
Portal 2 on this PC.

thomas_surles

• Offline Offline
« Reply #27 on: October 05, 2014, 04:18:01 pm »
Nah, I'm torn on whether I want to go PS1 or gamecube or neither. As it is right now, I have these running:

sega genesis/cd/master/I think some 32x
nintendo nes/snes/n64
3d0
atari jaguar
maniac mansion deluxe :)

And I think that's plenty. PS1 really didn't age well. The once mind blowing graphics of syphon filter now leave me wondering if that thing is a tree or a building or possibly my character... and gamecube, well I never had one so I dunno if it'd be worth it.
What no game boy? Psi would be good if you have the space. Gamecube on pc pretty much sucks. As does ps2. Some games run full speed while others are unplayable on even the best of pc's.

mgb

• Offline Offline
  • North East, US
« Reply #28 on: October 05, 2014, 06:01:35 pm »
I will never see what so many people love about Gameboy. Its gotta just be a nostalgia thing  :dunno

I've been messing around with PCSX2 on the pc in order to play my ps2 discs. Everything goes but then the disc just reboots right before the game starts.

eds1275

• Offline Offline
  • Rock and Roll!
« Reply #29 on: October 05, 2014, 07:31:18 pm »
I think I'll just stick with my list and see if I feel the need in the future.

I also never got the appeal of gameboy - I mean, I get the idea of hauling games around with you. I guess the only experience I had was with the old pea-green machine. Maybe it got better as GBC and other mutant gameboy spawn appeared.

Vigo

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #30 on: October 06, 2014, 01:27:33 am »
There were good gameboy games, but 90% of them were on the NES as well. a few exceptions that stand out would be Zelda: Link's awakening or Mario Land 2: 6 golden coins.

Gameboy advance on the other hand had a lot of excellent games. On my SNES console emulator, I use GBA quite a bit actually. I did one of those algorithm filters and it made things a bit easier on the eyes.

ChadTower

• Offline Offline
« Reply #31 on: October 06, 2014, 10:21:29 am »

Killing Time is a great 3DO game that didn't appear on other systems.  Love that game.

eds1275

• Offline Offline
  • Rock and Roll!
« Reply #32 on: October 06, 2014, 12:30:32 pm »
3d0 games -

The Need For Speed. I LOOOOOVE this first one where you only race against that choch and he either makes excuses for losing or makes fun of you for learning how to drive from the elderly.

Road Rash - I've been playing the hell out of it lately.

Cannon Fodder - excellent version of the game.

Space Hulk

The Horde - Best version of this game! And it's sooooo gooood!

Alone in the Dark 2

D

Shockwave Assault

Syndicate

Flashback

Incredible Machine

Another World/Out of this World

Return Fire

Lots I haven't played as well.

horizon

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 09, 2015, 05:58:48 pm
  • They've gone plaid!
« Reply #33 on: October 06, 2014, 01:28:06 pm »
I loved Gex on 3DO.  Its the one game aside from Road Rash that I wanted to emulate the 3DO for.

eds1275

• Offline Offline
  • Rock and Roll!
« Reply #34 on: October 06, 2014, 01:35:22 pm »
Road Rash - well... keep your bike away from the edge!!!! I think adding that in gives that level an additional obstacle. I don't hate it, I like the extra challenge.

Vigo

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #35 on: October 06, 2014, 01:38:08 pm »
Does Syndicate for the 3DO play OK? Can't Imagine it on something other than a PC. I tried the SNES version and wanted to throw my controller against the wall in 30 seconds flat.

eds1275

• Offline Offline
  • Rock and Roll!
« Reply #36 on: October 06, 2014, 01:49:18 pm »
Just played a bit, seems fine to me!

Vigo

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #37 on: October 06, 2014, 01:54:30 pm »
I'll have to give it a try. It was one of my favs, I would like to make it a couch game as well.

eds1275

• Offline Offline
  • Rock and Roll!
« Reply #38 on: October 06, 2014, 03:49:24 pm »
I use fourDo. If you have problems getting a rom to work, make sure the properties are not set to read only. I head freedo was good as wel but couldn't get the buttons on my xbox 360 gamepad to work with it.

ChadTower

• Offline Offline
« Reply #39 on: October 06, 2014, 03:50:18 pm »

Killing Time is a great 3DO game that didn't appear on other systems.  Love that game.

It was ported to the PC.

True but it's a ---smurfette--- to get running on a modern OS for some reason.  And that version wasn't nearly as good as the 3DO version.  I had them both back in the day and didn't even own a 3DO.  A kid down the hall in my dorm did and used to let me use it if I bought the beer.