Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Does anyone remember the 1997 MTV Gameworks Seattle TV special?  (Read 2879 times)

isamu

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 14, 2024, 08:15:07 pm
  • I'm a llama!
Does anyone remember the 1997 MTV Gameworks Seattle TV special?
« on: September 24, 2014, 08:30:53 pm »
http://expdvl.com/internet/FAMOUS/WWWINE~1.NET/~WODIGE/SSFS/DREAMW~1/030697~2.HTM

March 6, 1997

GameWorks opens first location on March 15

From ClariNet Electronic News Service:

LOS ANGELES--(ENTERTAINMENT WIRE)--Feb. 12, 1997--MTV: Music Television and GameWorks, a new entertainment venture inspired by DreamWorks SKG, Sega and Universal Studios Inc., have teamed up for the opening of the premier GameWorks location, it was announced Wednesday by Andy Schuon, executive vice president, programming, MTV and Michael Montgomery, president and COO, Sega GameWorks.

MTV will take viewers live to the opening of the premier GameWorks location in Seattle, on March 15. Exclusive MTV programming will include a three-hour pre-game show taped in and around Seattle, followed by the one-hour live telecast of the GameWorks Seattle grand opening and premier party. The GameWorks special will give MTV viewers the first ever look at GameWorks, including an on-site tour, profiles of all major games, celebrity video game competitions, celebrity interviews, and special musical performances.

GameWorks, the newest entertainment location in Seattle, offers a hip nightclub atmosphere featuring classic, as well as the most advanced and never-seen-before "signature" games. The 30,000 square foot GameWorks in Seattle also features a brewpub, cafe and Internet lounge.

"The MTV audience wants to know about everything shaping their future. They are avid and savvy consumers. They embrace outlets for expression, connection, and new experience. And MTV is, as always, their source," commented Schuon. "We're thrilled to give our audience an exclusive first look at GameWorks. Our GameWorks grand opening special will combine the excitement of a star-studded premiere with great musical performances, and some of the best gameplay action ever. We think it's terrific programming for the MTV audience as well as a tremendous opportunity for advertisers seeking to connect with these important consumers."

"MTV has always been the leader in setting music, entertainment and fashion direction for an entire generation," said Montgomery. "And we're delighted to have the opportunity to introduce GameWorks as an ideal hangout for MTV viewers." Montgomery added, "The different moods of GameWorks - from the energy of the highly competitive loading dock to the spectator excitement in the arena and the relaxed atmosphere of the loft appeals to people who enjoy a variety of action and entertainment."

The opening of the Seattle GameWorks in March 1997 will be followed by the opening of GameWorks Las Vegas in May 1997 and GameWorks in Ontario, Calif. in the summer of 1997. GameWorks will have more than 40 locations by the year 2000.

GameWorks is the main business of Sega GameWorks L.L.C. Other Sega GameWorks activities include Games Operations, which owns and operates numerous arcade and Sega City locations and Game Sales, the exclusive distributor of Sega arcade games for North and South America. The shareholders of Sega GameWorks are wholly-owned subsidiaries of each of Sega Enterprises, DreamWorks SKG, and Universal Studios Inc. Universal Studios Inc. is a unit of The Seagram Co. Ltd., a global beverage and entertainment company.

MTV NETWORKS, a unit of Viacom Inc., owns and operates basic cable programming services - MTV: MUSIC TELEVISION, VH1, and NICKELODEON/NICK AT NITE, all of which are registered trademarks of MTV NETWORKS.

I watched this live on MTV 17 years ago and it was one of the most amazing TV specials I've ever seen in my life! The show aired right at the dawn of Sega's Model 3 hardware and showcased a bunch of Sega arcade games. It also had interviews with Bill Gates, Yu Suzuki and a very very very V---E---R---Y different and young looking Toshihiro Nagoshi!! I think he was around late 20's at the time.

This was the show that debuted the very FIRST(and I mean first as in ANYWHERE) video footage of SuperGT(aka Scud Race) and to say I was blown the ---fudgesicle--- away is an understatement. I mean, Sega had just released Model 3 games and I had never ever seen graphics like that anywhere! They also had something like a 16 player Virtual Formula Racing link up cabinet LAN party where all sorts of celebrities and even BILL GATES HIMSELF participated, and I think he even won a couple races!

I swear I wish I had recorded this show but didn't have a VCR at the time. Arrrgh!!!!! Does anyone have this 1 hour MTV show in their archives that you can upload somewhere? Youtube yields no results, unless I'm searching the wrong way.

Man, this was such a fantastic TV special. The birth of GameWorks(which is now dead), Bill Gates talking and playing Sega arcade games, footage of a shitload of Sega racing games, and an awesome interview with a young and enthusiastic Nagoshi-san.

Any help locating this on the web would be greatly appreciated.

Hunk_4TH

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 05, 2024, 06:55:10 pm
  • I DON'T ALLOW VANDALISM IN MY STOOOOOOOOOOORE!
Re: Does anyone remember the 1997 MTV Gameworks Seattle TV special?
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2014, 11:47:28 pm »
Sounds amazing indeed! But are you sure it debuted the first footage of Scud Race? It came out in December 1996.

isamu

• Offline Offline
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2014, 07:11:48 pm »
Sounds amazing indeed! But are you sure it debuted the first footage of Scud Race? It came out in December 1996.

Oh, then I may have been mistaken. I know when they showed it on the show it was very new. But perhaps it was already released in some arcades.

twistedsymphony

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 03, 2024, 11:13:51 pm
  • Play stupid games... win stupid prizes.
    • solid-orange.com
    • CollectorsEdition.org
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2014, 01:34:03 pm »
I went to that GameWorks about 10 years ago when visiting some family... I remember being very impressed with the place. They had a lot of really unique games there that I've never seen anywhere else. First time I ever saw and played the Initial D arcade game.

isamu

• Offline Offline
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2014, 09:34:43 pm »
I went to that GameWorks about 10 years ago when visiting some family... I remember being very impressed with the place. They had a lot of really unique games there that I've never seen anywhere else. First time I ever saw and played the Initial D arcade game.

Yeah, I watched some YouTube vids of people going in and doing a tour of the place. Indeed it has a  lot of very cool games. Damn I wish I could find that vid of the MTV special.

isamu

• Offline Offline
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2020, 07:27:03 am »
ARRRGGG!!! Still no progress from anyone having this old show archived in their video collection somewhere? Man this is so depressing. ☹️☹️☹️

I really want to see this show. it was such a classic seeing scud race for the first Time anywhere on TV and having a young 20-something nago-shi talk about it. if anyone can help out it would be greatly appreciated. I'd be willing to pay for the footage. P.m. me.