Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: New Product: Dominux8™ Premium Leaf-Switch 8-Way Joystick  (Read 20803 times)

Slippyblade

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 16, 2023, 11:39:51 am
  • And to the death god we say, "Not today!"
Re: New Product: Dominux8™ Premium Leaf-Switch 8-Way Joystick
« Reply #80 on: November 10, 2014, 04:55:35 pm »

Ice hockey in the freaking desert.  Makes total sense.

opt2not

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 02, 2024, 07:42:30 pm
« Reply #81 on: November 10, 2014, 05:03:00 pm »
Phoenix Coyotes
Hey keep your sub .500 team outta this! :lol

What boggles my mind is the Cardinals being 8-1! I shouldn't have traded away Ellington in my fantasy league.  :'(

yotsuya

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Online Online
  • Last login:Today at 08:41:27 pm
  • 2014 UCA Winner, 2014, 2015, 2016 ZapCon Winner
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,137636.msg1420628.html
« Reply #82 on: November 10, 2014, 05:28:47 pm »
Phoenix Coyotes
Hey keep your sub .500 team outta this! :lol

That's ARIZONA Coyotes, bub.

With all the winter visitors and people who move here escaping the cold, makes total sense. I've been a hockey fan since the mid 80s, well before we had an NHL team. I use to go to the coliseum and watch the Phoenix Roadrunners, who originally started in the WHA.

What boggles my mind is the Cardinals being 8-1! I shouldn't have traded away Ellington in my fantasy league.  :'(

On a serious note, it's a change in organizational philosophy that comes from the top down - mainly, Michael Bidwill took control of the team from his cheapskate dad and hired football people to make football decisions. The change in everything has been refreshing.
***Build what you dig, bro. Build what you dig.***

ChanceKJ

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 07, 2021, 02:52:06 pm
« Reply #83 on: December 10, 2014, 02:28:46 am »
So i take it a few of these are out in the wild now?  Any reviews? more images?   ???

Jimbo

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 06:15:23 am
  • I have no idea what I'm doing.
    • Wood Finishes Direct
« Reply #84 on: December 10, 2014, 11:03:27 am »
I've got 2... not wired them up yet, but they feel great - can't wait to play something with them soon.  I needed to make mounting plates for mine, so I pulled them apart and took a couple of photos of the shaft/grommet.  It's a quality product for sure.  Will report more after playing.

ChanceKJ

• Offline Offline
« Reply #85 on: December 10, 2014, 04:51:30 pm »
Why did you need to make plates?

Jimbo

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 06:15:23 am
  • I have no idea what I'm doing.
    • Wood Finishes Direct
« Reply #86 on: December 11, 2014, 04:43:49 am »
Why did you need to make plates?

I'm top-mounting the joystick into 12mm ply.

haynor666

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 03:17:30 am
  • retro maniac
« Reply #87 on: December 11, 2014, 02:06:13 pm »
Nice stick but expensive. I hopw to see in future rotary stick based on rubber/leaf parts.

opt2not

• Offline Offline
« Reply #88 on: December 11, 2014, 06:28:36 pm »
Nice stick but expensive. I hopw to see in future rotary stick based on rubber/leaf parts.
It's not that bad really. I mean, a Silent Sanwa JLF with octagonal gate will cost you well over $50 and people buy that specifically to play fighters.
This isn't that different.

ChanceKJ

• Offline Offline
« Reply #89 on: December 11, 2014, 07:26:52 pm »
I'm thinking one of these in my new project with an octogon restrictor. I was gonna go servostik and hack it into the ArcadeSD for switching, but I think the feel of this over the servostick will be the way to go. Still kinda on the fence.

BadMouth

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 09:54:06 am
« Reply #90 on: December 11, 2014, 09:59:44 pm »
I'm thinking one of these in my new project with an octogon restrictor. I was gonna go servostik and hack it into the ArcadeSD for switching, but I think the feel of this over the servostick will be the way to go. Still kinda on the fence.

IMO, 4-8 way switching is overrated when using a modern MAME build.  I wish I hadn't bothered with it in my cab and am thinking of removing it.
(mine is an oddball, as it reduces the sensitivity of the optical switches instead of moving a physical restrictor.  Same round restrictor either way)

MAME doesn't allow two directions to be triggered simultaneously anyway, it reacts as if only the most recent switch is being pressed.
So maybe the change in direction would register sooner than it would on a 4-way, but I'd think that would be a good thing.
I didn't do any better at the games with the joystick in 4-way mode.
When testing to see if an overlap or a gap between 4-way directions would be more preferable, an overlap was better.
I didn't know it at the time, but MAME was eliminating the overlap and making an instant transition anyway.

Some people say they just like the feel of the diamond pattern restrictor when playing 4-way games.
I can understand that.  Especially with a square restrictor where you have big corners.
...but my next build won't bother with it and I am considering removing it from my current build.
It's just one more thing to go wrong.  To keep the circuit simple, mine had to default to 4-way.
It sucks when you launch USSFIVAE and the joystick is in 4-way mode because there was some hiccup with a script.

« Last Edit: December 11, 2014, 11:09:18 pm by BadMouth »

jaharr01

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 27, 2020, 06:28:16 am
  • Try and fail, but don't fail to try
« Reply #91 on: December 11, 2014, 10:20:02 pm »
Is there any way you could hook a servo kit up to the dominix stick ?

jaharr01

• Offline Offline
« Reply #92 on: December 11, 2014, 10:26:56 pm »

IMO, 4-8 way switching is overrated when using a modern MAME build.  I wish I hadn't bothered with it in my cab and am thinking of removing it.
(mine is an oddball, as it reduces the sensitivity of the optical switches instead of moving a physical restrictor.  Same round restrictor either way)

MAME doesn't allow two directions to be triggered simultaneously anyway, it reacts as if only the most recent switch is being pressed.
So maybe the change in direction would register sooner than it would on a 4-way, but I'd think that would be a good thing.

I didn't do any better at the games with the joystick in 4-way mode.
When testing to see if an overlap or a gap between 4-way directions would be more preferable, an overlap was better.
I didn't know it at the time, but MAME was eliminating the overlap and making an instant transition anyway.

Some people say they just like the feel of the diamond pattern restrictor when playing 4-way games.
I can understand that.
...but my next build won't bother with it and I am considering removing it from my current build.
It's just one more thing to go wrong.  To keep the circuit simple, mine had to default to 4-way.
It sucks when you launch USSFIVAE and the joystick is in 4-way mode because there was some hiccup with a script.

Are you saying you would use only a 4 way or only an 8 way? I had a lever switching stick and the only games I switched it on was like the 19XX games. I could tell a difference using it 8 way instead of 4way like on pacman type games.It didn't seem to maneuver near as well in 8 way mode.

BadMouth

• Offline Offline
« Reply #93 on: December 11, 2014, 11:23:44 pm »
Are you saying you would use only a 4 way or only an 8 way? I had a lever switching stick and the only games I switched it on was like the 19XX games. I could tell a difference using it 8 way instead of 4way like on pacman type games.It didn't seem to maneuver near as well in 8 way mode.

I'm saying I would use an 8-way joystick with a round restrictor all the time.  Because of the way current MAME builds handle input, the 4-way games are just as playable with an 8-way joystick in my opinion.  This wasn't the case with older versions of MAME.  On Donkey Kong, Mario would get stuck at the top of ladders. Pac Man would miss turns, etc.  I don't know when the changes were implemented, but in my experience this just doesn't happen with recent builds.

Play an 8-way game with a 4-way stick?  That's unpossible!
« Last Edit: December 12, 2014, 09:32:54 am by BadMouth »

deadmoney5

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 03, 2020, 11:02:02 pm
  • I don't feel tardy
« Reply #94 on: December 12, 2014, 10:37:22 am »

I'm saying I would use an 8-way joystick with a round restrictor all the time. Because of the way current MAME builds handle input, the 4-way games are just as playable with an 8-way joystick in my opinion.  This wasn't the case with older versions of MAME.  On Donkey Kong, Mario would get stuck at the top of ladders. Pac Man would miss turns, etc.  I don't know when the changes were implemented, but in my experience this just doesn't happen with recent builds.

hmmmm..really?  playing 4-way games with an 8-way joystick is not a problem with newer versions of MAME?

Fursphere

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 07:38:59 pm
« Reply #95 on: December 12, 2014, 10:56:39 am »
I was interested until I saw the price    :dizzy:

deadmoney5

• Offline Offline
  • I don't feel tardy
« Reply #96 on: December 12, 2014, 04:13:55 pm »
$50?  Big deal.  You only live once, and you get what you pay for.

Xiaou2

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 12, 2023, 05:41:19 pm
  • NOM NOM NOM
« Reply #97 on: December 12, 2014, 07:47:17 pm »

I'm saying I would use an 8-way joystick with a round restrictor all the time.  Because of the way current MAME builds handle input, the 4-way games are just as playable with an 8-way joystick in my opinion.  This wasn't the case with older versions of MAME.  On Donkey Kong, Mario would get stuck at the top of ladders. Pac Man would miss turns, etc.  I don't know when the changes were implemented, but in my experience this just doesn't happen with recent builds.

I disagree.

Yes, you Can play 4 way games with an 8 way stick in mame... but they dont play as good when you actually use a PHYSICALLY RESTRICTED 4-way.

Now, it sounds like you have that analog magnetic stick... so yeah, I can understand why you wouldnt see much of a difference... nor would care to have a limiter.   Its just not the same as a physical diamond shaped restrictor.

The Diamond shape guides your stick directly from one direction to the next... in a much Shorter pathway...  Much like a Baseball diamond.  Imagine if the runners accidentally ran in a full square around the plates... instead of going directly to each plate...   even One single instance of this, or heck.. even if the runner ran slightly outside of the diamond in a curved manor..   that could cause him to get tagged out due to critical timing.  Similarly, if he didnt end up precisely at the plate.. either a hair above, below..etc...  he would also run risk of getting tagged... and would now need more distance & time to correct for that mistake.

With a true diamond restricted 4way,  Your stick wont get stuck in any of the Corners... which can easily happen on an 8way stick.  On an intense game of speed-up modded ms pacman.. you cant afford getting stuck in the corners... and thus missing a critically timed turn.  You will also be guided perfectly to the contacts...so theres no accidents of shooting slightly above or below it.

I highly recommend you play some 4 ways with a real 4way restricted stick, and compare them to your performance and feel, from an 8way.  Your ideas and opinions will change in the first few minutes of play.

Also, I believe there is at least one 4 way game that mame doesnt handle well with 8 ways:   Assault.   (dual 4 way trigger sticks)   Maybe one of the best tank games ever made.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2014, 07:50:37 pm by Xiaou2 »

Fursphere

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 07:38:59 pm
« Reply #98 on: December 12, 2014, 09:35:09 pm »

My first cab had Ultimarc Mag-Sticks in it.   $37 a pop.     Second cab has Sanwa JLFs.  $20 a pop.   

The Sanwa is a much better stick IMO.

opt2not

• Offline Offline
« Reply #99 on: December 12, 2014, 10:02:23 pm »
My first cab had Ultimarc Mag-Sticks in it.   $37 a pop.     
:-\  Mag-sticks.  I love Andy's stuff, but I could not enjoy playing on those sticks.

Second cab has Sanwa JLFs.  $20 a pop.   

You're comparing Apples to Oranges here. Japanese joysticks have a extremely different feel than the oldschool North American leaf-switch joys. Some people have a nostagic preference, and there are a lot of games that both Sanwa and Rubber Grommet Leaf-switch do not fit for optimal play.

Plus, if you wanna compare prices then compare 'em with the same options:

1. Sanwa JLF = $20
2. Silencing (Sanwa Flash 1- optical PCB, or softer force Microswitch Kits, ie. Omron D2RV-G) = $25-30
3. Optional Octo-gate (Sanwa GT-Y) = $5

In the end you're paying pretty much the same thing with these features, if not a little more, so the question comes down to personal `feel`preference.  PERSONALLY, using a Sanwa for Robotron/SmashTV does not feel right to me -- which I'm assuming is one of the games the Dominux8 is targeting.

Besides, JLF's are only best suited for fighters and brawlers. Seimitsu's for Shmups/Shooters.  Wico leaf-switch, Happs, or even Sanwa JLW's for Classics.   Though the JLW's are decent for Shmups too. IMO ;)

BadMouth

• Offline Offline
« Reply #100 on: December 12, 2014, 10:17:01 pm »
I highly recommend you play some 4 ways with a real 4way restricted stick, and compare them to your performance and feel, from an 8way.  Your ideas and opinions will change in the first few minutes of play.

Have done testing (w/MAME v.146) and that is how I formed my opinion.
I acknowledged the shortcomings of square restrictors in my first post.

Both my optical modded JLFs and the Dominux 8-ways which are the subject of this thread have round restriction.
ChanceCK is considering buying these sticks and seemed concerned with having 4/8 way switching.

I am voicing my opinion that the need for a dedicated 4-way or 4-way switching isn't as major as it might appear on BYOAC.
Seeing all the trouble people go to do add a 4-way stick (myself included), you'd think 4 way games were unplayable without a 4-way stick (and they were on old builds of MAME).  Old threads state as much and I myself have even contributed to this by regurgitating what I'd read posted by others.

Now that I've tested for myself, I have a different opinion.

I'm not saying that they are absolutely 100% as good as a physically restricted 4-way.
I'm saying that it's not a big enough difference for me to bother with on the next cab.

People should test it for themselves.
As stated earlier, I do believe square restrictors are a hindrance on 4-way games.

mgb

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 21, 2024, 06:18:13 pm
  • North East, US
« Reply #101 on: December 12, 2014, 10:57:19 pm »
badmouth, I get what you're saying and that's cool if an 8-way suits you fine for 4 way games on later versions of mame
but for me. I've gotta have that short throw 4-way restriction for proper game play.

I wish I didn't have to lie awake at night worried about how I can have proper 4-way, 8-way switching on my player 2 stick but I'm not about to give up on grasping for that star.

sure you can play Frogger with a Happ Comp but go play the original and you'll fine a nice tight 4-way restriction that an 8-way just can't satisfy.
thats for me anyway.

as for this Dominux 8, I've got a customer with a Robotron whom I'm talking into trying out a pair of these. Hopefully we'll see soon.

ChanceKJ

• Offline Offline
« Reply #102 on: December 12, 2014, 11:31:00 pm »
...why did I bring back this thread?  :(

jaharr01

• Offline Offline
« Reply #103 on: December 13, 2014, 01:01:54 am »
You know tonight I was playing my little girls arcade and it has a cheap ebay 8way stick, and it sucks balls trying to play MS pac man on it. I went to my cab that has a four way and it played 10,000 times better. I'm running like Mame .15X, it is a newer version :dunno

deadmoney5

• Offline Offline
  • I don't feel tardy
« Reply #104 on: December 15, 2014, 10:51:07 am »

My first cab had Ultimarc Mag-Sticks in it.   $37 a pop.     Second cab has Sanwa JLFs.  $20 a pop.   

I DO agree with that...The Ultimarcs weren't for me, either

yotsuya

• Online Online
« Reply #105 on: December 15, 2014, 10:59:52 am »
...why did I bring back this thread?  :(

You like the attention.  ;D

Vigo

• the Scourage of Carpathia
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+24)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 21, 2024, 08:20:28 am
« Reply #106 on: December 16, 2014, 12:14:26 pm »
I can't play a 49-way game on a 2-way stick. Even with a parallelogram restrictor.

yotsuya

• Online Online
« Reply #107 on: December 16, 2014, 12:21:51 pm »
I can't play a 49-way game on a 2-way stick. Even with a parallelogram restrictor.

Use a pair of trackballs. Easy peasy.

BadMouth

• Offline Offline
« Reply #108 on: December 16, 2014, 01:24:43 pm »

You can't really play your best game of Polybius without a parallelogram restrictor.

yotsuya

• Online Online
« Reply #109 on: December 16, 2014, 01:31:08 pm »

You can't really play your best game of Polybius without a parallelogram restrictor.

LIAR! According to this authentic photo of Polybius from back in the day, the controls consisted of just one button!

AzureKnight

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 29, 2022, 12:22:17 am
« Reply #110 on: December 16, 2014, 02:10:07 pm »

LIAR! According to this authentic photo of Polybius from back in the day, the controls consisted of just one button!

If you look under the hood that button has a parallelogram restrictor....odd I know.   :dizzy:

BadMouth

• Offline Offline
« Reply #111 on: December 16, 2014, 02:44:46 pm »
Joystick and parallelogram restrictor clearly visible:

Maybe the one you posted had the joystick removed for safety reasons.
There is no question about the proper font though.

yotsuya

• Online Online
« Reply #112 on: December 16, 2014, 03:10:03 pm »
Wow......... maybe the government made different machines to do different experiments on people...  :dizzy: I know this guy who knew this guy who knew this guy who knew this guy's brother who swore this dude ate some Pop Rocks, drank some Jolt Cola, played a Polybuis, and his head exploded all over the arcade. But it happened in Hollister, CA, so I can't prove it.

smbhax

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 04, 2015, 02:05:13 am
  • Ms. Pac-Man
    • Supermassive Black Hole A*, the hard sci-fi webcomic
« Reply #113 on: April 16, 2015, 03:42:29 pm »
I've got a thin metal panel with only 2" of clearance beneath it. Will the Dominux8 fit in there in either "Short" or "Long" configurations?

Edit: Ack, despite having read this thread over multiple times, I somehow missed RandyT's answer to this question earlier in the thread:
The restrictors also add just shy of 1/32" to the overall thickness, if one is used.  So the recommended below panel clearance requirements are:

Long Configuration: 2.1"
Short Configuration: 2.75"

Sorry for the unnecessary bump!
« Last Edit: April 16, 2015, 05:13:55 pm by smbhax »

joe35car

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 15, 2021, 09:37:11 pm
« Reply #114 on: February 16, 2017, 10:24:14 am »
I know the topic is old but am looking to get a pair of these. Just want to know which configuration to go. I need the long shaft 8 way. Just need to know if I should get the smooth circular or the short-throw circular? Will be used for 8 way games and also for robotron.   :)

Thanks

Cynicaster

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 22, 2021, 12:12:55 pm
« Reply #115 on: February 16, 2017, 03:25:12 pm »
I know the topic is old but am looking to get a pair of these. Just want to know which configuration to go. I need the long shaft 8 way. Just need to know if I should get the smooth circular or the short-throw circular? Will be used for 8 way games and also for robotron.   :)

Thanks

I've got a pair of these that I had bottom mounted on a wood panel in the long configuration with the short-throw circular restrictor, but I have since moved them to a different panel where they are mounted with an adapter plate in the short configuration, and the restrictor removed. 

The throw in the long configuration with the restrictor is roughly the same as the throw in the short configuration without the restrictor, although I think the long+restrictor setup might have an ever-so-slightly smaller throw.  Full disclosure, the panel with the short D8's is still not up and running so I haven't actually played anything with it yet, so these are just impressions I get from holding the assembled panel and moving the joysticks around.

I think the general consensus seems to be that these sticks have a throw that is a bit too sloppy in the long configuration without the restrictor, so I'd strongly recommend you get the short-throw circular restrictor.  If on the odd chance you don't like it, you can just take it off.  It is also very "smooth" by the way, so you're not sacrificing a smooth circle by using it.  And these sticks are awesome for Robotron, which is why I bought them.

« Last Edit: February 16, 2017, 03:29:42 pm by Cynicaster »