Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: JIMBOVISION: Rotating CP [spinner led trauma]  (Read 63527 times)

danny_galaga

• Grand high prophet of the holy noodle.
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 09:21:49 pm
  • because the mail never stops
    • dans cocktail lounge
Re: JIMBOVISION (scratch build rotating CP + rotating CRT upright)
« Reply #120 on: March 30, 2015, 05:26:38 am »

And here's a video of it rotating...  flippy flappy dust washers!  Not quite sure what to do about that...

I love how you matched your fingernails with the joysticks  ;D

ROUGHING UP THE SUSPECT SINCE 1981

Jimbo

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 06, 2024, 08:12:05 am
  • I have no idea what I'm doing.
    • Wood Finishes Direct
« Reply #121 on: March 30, 2015, 06:59:35 am »

And here's a video of it rotating...  flippy flappy dust washers!  Not quite sure what to do about that...

I love how you matched your fingernails with the joysticks  ;D

:laugh2:  That's nothing.  You should see the wig and suspenders just out of view...

Yvan256

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 20, 2017, 08:35:41 am
    • Yvan256
« Reply #122 on: March 30, 2015, 10:58:05 am »
Wow. An LCD marquee, rotating CRT monitor with an Arduino to control the degaussing, automated rotating control panel, CAD design, CNC-cut parts, retro artwork...

The question is: why did I not notice this thread before?!  :P

This project is awesome!  :cheers:

Jimbo

• Offline Offline
    • Wood Finishes Direct
« Reply #123 on: April 30, 2015, 03:34:29 pm »
Sorry for the lack of updates.  It's the edge-lighting of the joysticks that is the bottleneck at the moment.  The spinners are done, the trackball and buttons all have lighting built in to them, it's just the joysticks that are causing me problems, but I think I've sorted it now.

Firstly on the defender/4-way panel, the defender joystick needs edge-lighting.  I've done it by using a 3mm plexi sheet and milling out a 2mm recess in the centre.  This means the joystick actually sits 1mm lower than it should be if it was mounted flush to the panel.  I think this should be ok and hopefully won't affect gameplay too much.  The artwork will go close to the shaft opening, leaving about a 4mm radius plexi ring around it exposed for edge-lighting...

The U360 was the other joystick (on the spinner panel) that was causing problems due to "bumps" around the mounting plate opening.  I've solved this inserting a 3mm plexi sheet between the U360 base and the metal mounting plate. Then I milled out a 2mm recess around the bumpy raised part so 1mm fits nicely over the top of it.  The mounting plate then sits flush on top.  This lowers the joystick by 3mm which doesn't seem too bad.  It also negates the need for a dust washer as the plexi ring kind of acts like one since it's so close to where the shaft sits.  This is good because I don't want flappy dust washers during the rotating of the panels.

On the defender/4-way panel, for the dedicated 4-way joysitck I had planned to bottom-mount a Dominux 8 with a 4-way restrictor, but this doesn't feel right, and doesn't lend itself very easily to edge-lighting.  I've switched this now to be a Pac Pro, which I really like the feel of.  This will be top-mounted with a 2mm plexi-sheet acting as a dust-protector (again solving flappy dust washer on rotation) sitting in the recess of the joystick base.  I'll be making the plexi insert and the metal plate very soon. Here's the idea...

Similarly, I'll be making a 1.5mm plexi insert for the 2x Dominux8's on the 2P panel.  I'll keep the dust-washers for these as they fit nicely in the joystick base recess (unlike the pac-pro!).  I already have the metal mounting plates made for these, so just the plexi sheets to mill...

So there you go... all the flappy dust-washers sorted, and the edge-lighting (I think!).  I'll need to make a couple of panel cuts to house these changes, but over the next couple of weeks it should all be done.  Then I'll finalise the artwork for the panels and order it, and then start the final panel preparations before applying the artwork.

I'll try not to leave it so long until the next update!

mcseforsale

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 18, 2023, 08:49:34 am
  • Creepy Mario Dude
« Reply #124 on: May 01, 2015, 10:59:20 am »
Wow.  Subscribed is all I can say.

:o

AJ

Jimbo

• Offline Offline
    • Wood Finishes Direct
« Reply #125 on: May 04, 2015, 04:45:48 am »
Got the 2 plexi inserts for the Dominux8s made.  These sandwich in-between the joystick base and the 2.5mm thick aluminium mounting plate.  They are made from 1.5mm clear plexi and leave a gap just big enough for the dust washer to sit under it.  The alu plate hole is 30mm diameter, the plexi is 26mm diameter.  The shaft at full throw is very close to the plexi but doesn't quite touch it.  The addition of the metal plate and the plexiglass does lower the joystick slightly, but it still feels nice.  Panel surface to top of balltop is 66mm.

Next up... the Pac-Pro for the dedicated 4-way panel!

Superfrog

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 28, 2022, 10:39:08 am
    • My YouTube Channel
Re: JIMBOVISION: Rotating CP [edge-lighting the joysticks]
« Reply #126 on: May 04, 2015, 09:24:09 am »
Problem solved very nice  :applaud: :cheers:

looking good

Jimbo

• Offline Offline
    • Wood Finishes Direct
« Reply #127 on: May 07, 2015, 09:15:17 am »
cheers :)

Got the plexi insert and the mounting plate for the Pac Pro done last night... so that's all the edge-lighting bits taken care of....

Next up some final panel cuts and prep for the artwork :)

DGP

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 29, 2019, 05:25:09 pm
  • Gamer4Life
    • My Toys...
« Reply #128 on: May 07, 2015, 10:50:11 pm »
WHAT !?!? :o

:dizzy:

:notworthy:

This is sure to be in the running for the 2015 awards.

:cheers:

-DGP
Multi-Cade x2 (full size and bar top) / 3 screen Virtual Pin

Jimbo

• Offline Offline
    • Wood Finishes Direct
« Reply #129 on: May 08, 2015, 04:05:37 am »
Hah, I don't think it'll be finished in time,  :laugh2:

Seriously though, thanks for the nice words.  :cheers:

Jimbo

• Offline Offline
    • Wood Finishes Direct
« Reply #130 on: May 10, 2015, 04:38:43 am »
Routed out for the defender joystick and the pac-pro on the middle panel.  That's it!  That's the last bit of routing on the panels - well, apart from making holes on the underside for some LEDs to go.  Woooooh!

I will be posting the final panels soon explaining all the controls and showing the proposed artwork for each panel.  It would be great to have your feedback on that before I order the artwork.

I'm thinking to get all the panels flat for the artwork I'll use some epoxy filler/resin to cover it all and then sand flat.  Not done that before so any hints/tips etc appreciated.

Jimbo

• Offline Offline
    • Wood Finishes Direct
« Reply #131 on: May 10, 2015, 05:47:13 pm »
Here are the final control panel layouts, and the planned artwork.  Feedback welcome! :cheers:

PANEL 1

• TurboTwist 2 Spinner, RGB edge-lit (x2)
  • Ultimarc U360 Joystick, RGB edge-lit
  • Electric Ice 2 w/True-Leaf Pro, RGB-Drive II (x8)
This panel is for driving games (with the mini-racer wheels), spinner games, and any games requiring the analog joystick (i.e. any non 2/4/8 way games).

PANEL 2

• Defender Joystick, RGB edge-lit
  • Pac-Pro Joystick, RGB edge-lit
So this panel is for Defender/Stargate, Asteroids, and any other 2 or 4-way games.

PANEL 3

• Dominux 8, RGB edge-lit (x2)
  • Ultimarc U-Trak Pearl
This panel is for all 1-player 8-way games, 4-way or 8-way 2-player games, along with any trackball games.  It's also for Robotron :D and I'll use it for any other emulation systems that need 8-ways.  Having the trackball on this panel means it'll be suitable as the mouse for Amiga/ST games etc.

I'm gonna order the artwork soon, so any feedback now's your chance! :)

« Last Edit: May 10, 2015, 05:50:19 pm by Jimbo »

bfauska

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 28, 2023, 04:41:45 pm
  • "You're not wrong Walter, you're just an @##hole!"
Re: JIMBOVISION: Rotating CP [final panel designs and artwork]
« Reply #132 on: May 11, 2015, 02:50:32 pm »
I really dig the retro color scheme and simple art. One thing stands out to me as looking kind of off though. The directional artwork around the joysticks looks a bit too "snow-flake"ish to me. It also looks a little too busy where the button art and other control art meet. I think it looks like 1 too many colors in those spots. Maybe if the orange were thicker so that the yellow wouldn't show up in the tight spots or if the yellow were all one background color or bigger enclosure shape (like an oval something) so the black outline didn't carry into the tight spots.

On another note... I've been working on coming up with a clean edge-lit joystick, spinner and TB system and now that you've posted yours, anything I come up with is going to look pretty shoddy. Good work on this awesome project.

harveybirdman

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 19, 2024, 12:40:25 pm
  • SHMUP'EM
« Reply #133 on: May 11, 2015, 03:13:36 pm »
I agree with bfauska, they snowflaky bro.....

Also you're going to all that trouble to edge light the joysticks... the directional artwork shouldn't detract from it.

Jimbo

• Offline Offline
    • Wood Finishes Direct
« Reply #134 on: May 12, 2015, 08:51:08 am »
Thanks for your feedback guys.  :cheers:  On reflection I agree it is looking a bit busy... trying out some tweaks...  how about this for the 4-way, 8-way and defender joys...?

Jimbo

• Offline Offline
    • Wood Finishes Direct
« Reply #135 on: May 12, 2015, 03:13:25 pm »
OK here are a few alternate designs.  Personally I like the bottom ones best (subtler, less busy) but interested to hear your feedback or suggestions.

Panel 1 (U360 in middle)

Panel 2 (defender joystick and 4-way pac-pro in middle)

Panel 3 (2 x dominux8 8-ways)

Thanks a lot for any feedback you can give.

bfauska

• Offline Offline
Re: JIMBOVISION: Rotating CP [please critique my artwork!]
« Reply #136 on: May 12, 2015, 04:38:12 pm »
I think the bottom option on panel 2 and 3. Is there a version with the little nub directions for panel 1? I'd assume I'd vote for that too.

Jimbo

• Offline Offline
    • Wood Finishes Direct
« Reply #137 on: May 13, 2015, 06:04:12 am »
I think the bottom option on panel 2 and 3. Is there a version with the little nub directions for panel 1? I'd assume I'd vote for that too.

Hmm yeah I'm leaning towards the bottom ones too...   the panel 1 joystick is a U360, which is why I left it as a circle.  My thinking was with the nub directions it would either look like it was indicating the joystick is a 8-way, or would just be too busy.

bfauska

• Offline Offline
« Reply #138 on: May 13, 2015, 05:20:14 pm »

Hmm yeah I'm leaning towards the bottom ones too...   the panel 1 joystick is a U360, which is why I left it as a circle.  My thinking was with the nub directions it would either look like it was indicating the joystick is a 8-way, or would just be too busy.
Yeah, that makes sense for the analogue.

Jimbo

• Offline Offline
    • Wood Finishes Direct
« Reply #139 on: September 14, 2015, 12:04:49 pm »
Sorry for the lack of updates.  Life kinda got in the way.  I've gone over multiple revisions of the panel artwork and have finally chosen these ones, and have ordered them from gameongrafix...

All of the controls are sorted now, edge-lit plex, mounting plates etc.

It's been a long time getting to this point.  Once the artwork arrives I hope things will progress quicker - starting with the wiring!

Nephasth

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 11, 2024, 11:02:52 pm
  • Bitches love Centipede
Re: JIMBOVISION: Rotating CP [still alive!]
« Reply #140 on: July 23, 2016, 06:01:34 pm »
Hmm...
%Bartop

Richie_jones

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 10, 2024, 02:04:21 pm
« Reply #141 on: August 31, 2016, 11:50:51 pm »
My apologies if this has been answered but how do you plan on dealing with all the cables from the cp when the drum rotates?

Sent from my SM-N930F using Tapatalk

nordemoniac

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 26, 2023, 02:41:28 am
  • Weee! Hahaha...
« Reply #142 on: September 10, 2016, 08:46:20 am »
Anything happening to this project? I'd love to see how this thing turns out  :applaud:

Jimbo

• Offline Offline
    • Wood Finishes Direct
« Reply #143 on: September 11, 2016, 01:24:46 pm »
Hi guys... sorry, there *will* be an update soon.  I've recently become a father for the 3rd time, and along with my friend's workshop completely burning down (where we did a lot of the work) the project hasn't progressed much I'm afraid.  I'm just starting to get back into it now.  I'm at the point of prepping the panels for the artwork, and collating a spreadsheet for all the wiring connections I'll need.  I'll post an update with pics soon.

@Richie_jones - the cables will be wrapped semi-loosely around the rotating shaft and exiting in a hole on one of the ends.  That's the plan, anyway.

Cheers

James

productof76

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 04, 2021, 09:16:02 am
« Reply #144 on: September 12, 2016, 08:44:19 pm »
wooow, this left me speechless!!

really awesome!!  :)

Jimbo

• Offline Offline
    • Wood Finishes Direct
« Reply #145 on: September 21, 2016, 03:55:13 pm »
OK, first proper update in a while!  Finally getting back in to this now :)

I have all the controls now ready for edge-lighting, but the pac-pro needed mauling so that the LEDs can reach the plexi...

Then some high strength PVA to lock the plexi in place.  The metal mounting plate will go over this leaving a nice edge-lit RGB ring in the middle...

Next up, (skip forward 13 months!) I decided to spray paint the backs of the panels white because, well, I want it looking nice :)

Masking taped over the control holes on the front and then sprayed a few thin coats of white gloss Rustoleum Universal All Surface Paint.  Backs look great now for wiring :)

Time to finish prepping the panels for the artwork.  I needed to get them filled and sanded so that there are no ridges around the control mounting plates (and plexi inserts) and the panel.  I used some Isopon P38 for this.  Seems to have worked great, now the panels are dead flat with no ridges :)

You can see that I masking taped the visible edge-lit plexi parts in the middle of the joysticks and spinners.

The panel artwork overlays from gameongrafix arrived some time ago and look awesome...

It's hard to portray in a photo just how nice this looks and feels...

Next to do: -

I need to make sure no LED light can get through the panels/plexi inserts as it will show through the artwork.  For this reason, and also to give a good surface for applying the adhesive-backed artwork, I'm going to spraypaint the panels black.  A few coats of Rustoleum I'm hoping will stop any light getting through.

Also, wrapping the artwork around the top/bottom edges of the panels is a no-go without some contact adhesive.  I've tried this out with a spare panel and some spare cut-offs that Scott from gameongrafix was nice enough to include with my order for free, and it works great.

Once I have the panels painted black, the artwork will be applied (scary!) and then it's time for wiring.

I'll post the plan for wiring soon.

markc74

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 09:01:10 am
  • Flipping out
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,137295.0.html
Re: JIMBOVISION: Rotating CP [an update at last!]
« Reply #146 on: September 22, 2016, 12:49:44 pm »
Good to see this build back on track Jimbo. I've been looking forwards to seeing this control panel working for aaaaages!

Congrats on the addition to the family too  :cheers:

Jimbo

• Offline Offline
    • Wood Finishes Direct
« Reply #147 on: September 24, 2016, 05:13:53 am »
Cheers Mark :)

I've done one coat of black on the panels, but still a little light shining through where it shouldn't.  Hopefully a couple more coats will do it!

stigzler

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 11, 2022, 03:01:48 pm
  • It seemed like a good idea at the time....
    • Mago Arcade
« Reply #148 on: September 25, 2016, 04:55:59 am »
The CP may divide opinion, but I like it. Love the colours - I didn't think Open University (UK reference) colours like that existed any more on the visible light spectrum, having vanished in the late 70s.

Looking forward to see how that spinning contraption integrates into the cab, too.

Jimbo

• Offline Offline
    • Wood Finishes Direct
« Reply #149 on: September 25, 2016, 04:15:42 pm »
Thanks stigzler.

This weekend I got some spray painting done.  3 coats black Rustoleum and now no LED light shines through where it shouldn't :)  Surfaces are nice and smooth with no lumps and bumps...

I also started to cut the holes in the artwork. A little scary but the compass-with-a-blade tool I used was excellent!

The two-player panel lines up perfectly - very happy! For the joysticks holes, I cut them very slightly smaller than the actual holes for some wiggle-room (1mm diameter smaller).  I plan to use a stanley blade to cut them perfectly around the edges of the holes once the artwork is applied...

The defender panel lines up perfectly too (ignore the messy looking defender edge-lighting opening on the left, I have to clean up the cut on the left side of the artwork for that...

The 3rd panel, the spinner one... hmm... it was all going so well :(

As I peeled away the masking tape I realised I forgot to paint the wood underneath the plexi edge-lit insert.  It still shows the unfinished plywood underneath...

As you can see when the spinner is in it's not terrible, but still not what I want. It actually looks great in the dark when shining an LED on it from underneath, but in daylight it looks pants...

I can think of 2 things to help... Firstly, rough the plexi up a bit more to make it more opaque.  Secondly (as I've not cut the holes in the artwork yet), make the visible edge-lit circle a little smaller, so for example make the diameter the same as the widest part of the spinner flange near the bottom.  This would (I hope) still give a nice edge-lit effect as the spinner would cover most of it when looking from directly above.

Bah, I'm such an idiot. :(  If anyone has any better ideas I'm all ears.

Other than that, it all lines up perfectly and is looking great so I think I'm pretty much ready to put the artwork on.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2016, 04:18:13 pm by Jimbo »

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 10:08:43 am
  • Designated spam hunter
« Reply #150 on: September 25, 2016, 04:57:10 pm »
As you can see when the spinner is in it's not terrible, but still not what I want. It actually looks great in the dark when shining an LED on it from underneath, but in daylight it looks pants...
Depending on the look/finish you are going for, here are 5 ways to proceed:

1. Mask the panel (and LEDs?) so you can spray paint the bare wood.

2. Hand-paint the bare wood with a small artist's brush.

3. Mask the lit edge of the plexi insert with tape then paint the back.
(the bare wood edge might still show if the insert outer edge is left un-sanded or un-painted)

4. Sand the back and outer edge of the plexi insert.

5. Some combination of 1-4.

Scott
« Last Edit: September 25, 2016, 05:07:47 pm by PL1 »

Jimbo

• Offline Offline
    • Wood Finishes Direct
« Reply #151 on: September 26, 2016, 03:51:12 am »
Thanks...

Unfortunately I don't have simple access to the back of the plexi insert as it's glued in with PVA and has been filled/painted over.  The bare wood is underneath.  I think I'm going to have to prise them out and re-prep the entire spinner areas. :(

My head is saying accept and compromise but my heart is saying do it properly.

Richie_jones

• Offline Offline
« Reply #152 on: September 26, 2016, 04:27:47 am »
Redo the whole panel.if you have to..no point in compromise

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

a1pharm

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 25, 2024, 09:22:48 pm
  • Planning and preparation prevents problems
« Reply #153 on: September 29, 2016, 08:22:22 am »
Thanks...

Unfortunately I don't have simple access to the back of the plexi insert as it's glued in with PVA and has been filled/painted over.  The bare wood is underneath.  I think I'm going to have to prise them out and re-prep the entire spinner areas. :(

My head is saying accept and compromise but my heart is saying do it properly.

You know what you have to do...

Jimbo

• Offline Offline
    • Wood Finishes Direct
« Reply #154 on: September 29, 2016, 08:51:46 am »
yep.  no compromise.

I might try using a syringe full of black wood stain, and see if the ply will soak up the stain enough to cover the exposed area.  Worth a shot.  If that doesn't work, out pop the plexi inserts!  Gah!

stigzler

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 11, 2022, 03:01:48 pm
  • It seemed like a good idea at the time....
    • Mago Arcade
« Reply #155 on: September 29, 2016, 12:55:38 pm »
Couldn't you just pva solution coat the surface first then paint it black? The PVA would seal porous wood. Apologies - haven't read the problem fully.

Scassidy24

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 12, 2023, 11:56:34 am
  • I love my Nostalgia Machine
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,150379.0.html
« Reply #156 on: September 29, 2016, 04:17:47 pm »
Just gotta say Amazing work on the control panel I'll be following along. I had considered doing something like this on my build but am not worthy.  :applaud:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jimbo

• Offline Offline
    • Wood Finishes Direct
« Reply #157 on: October 03, 2016, 07:19:52 pm »
Thank you :)

Finally got the CPO installed on one of the panels! :)

Scary night - one that was made miles easier by having two people instead of one!

First I had to trim the CPO down using a craft knife, I left a little black overhang over the top and bottom edges which I will trim off later.  We (very carefully) scored the back along the top/bottom black edges of the CPO so that we could deal with those angled edges after the main CPO application.  We also scored a line about 2 inches from the top black edge (just above the top buttons) all the way along.  Plan was to line up the joystick holes (they needed to be spot on) then clamp the bottom edge so we could pull the top 2 inches of backing off and stick just that bit first.

Following this, the clamps were removed and we could peel back the rest of the backing and carefully apply the rest of the CPO, down to the bottom black edge.  We then used some impact adhesive to stick down the 2 black edges. Seems to have worked great and it's now sitting there for 24 hours to fully set.  Then I'll cut the overhang off with a craft knife and get the controls in there :)

Very happy with how this turned out, it's so vibrant and colourful. :)  Luckily the artwork went on great but it was a stressy evening since I'd never done it before.  Learned a lot - the next 2 panels should be a lot less stressful!

Next up will be pulling out the spinners on the other panel and re-doing those after painting the back of them black! Grrr...
« Last Edit: October 03, 2016, 07:21:53 pm by Jimbo »

Jimbo

• Offline Offline
    • Wood Finishes Direct
Re: JIMBOVISION: Rotating CP [first cpo applied]
« Reply #158 on: October 16, 2016, 10:53:24 am »
Just waiting on a few bits from ebay so I can continue with decimating the other 2 panels because of my stupidity in forgetting to paint under the plexi...

In the mean time, made some "jigs" so I can work on the panels for wiring and testing etc.  These are angled at 10 degrees, and are handy as I can flip the panels on them so the undersides face upwards to work on the wiring.  I got the controls all mounted now on the 2-player trackball panel, so this one is ready to wire up...

Those dominux8's feel great :)

You can see I had to make small mounting blocks to give space for the controls right up to the edges of the panels...

I made 3 sets of these jigs so I can have all panels resting somewhere sturdy until they are ready for the rotating contraption.

Next update will be about decimating the other two panels to re-prep them.

Richie_jones

• Offline Offline
Re: JIMBOVISION: Rotating CP [first cpo applied]
« Reply #159 on: May 08, 2017, 11:04:18 am »
Any more progress on this?