Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: The "What PC do I need to run MAME?" Official FAQ  (Read 68213 times)

PedroSilva

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 01, 2018, 08:37:57 am
  • Grettings !
Re:The "What PC do I need to run MAME?" Official FAQ
« Reply #80 on: June 29, 2004, 05:35:07 am »
Note, I am not going to bother with CHD games, because everyone has problems with those. I feel the other selected games are a good cross of eras, gametypes, and hardware platforms. I am not going to bother testing faster machines than 1200, because I don't own any faster machines, and there are very few games that see much benefit from faster than that anyway.

Hi,

What are CHD games ? Does it has any relation with the "name_of_the_game.chd NOT FOUND" error ?

Thanks

Sephroth57

• Poo Monkey
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 07, 2020, 11:17:00 am
    • Check it out!!!
« Reply #81 on: June 29, 2004, 09:54:34 am »
Don't kill me if this isn't the kosher thing to do, being my first post and all, but it seems like bumping way old threads is acceptable (and I hate 5,000 repeat threads as much as anyone).

Here's the question:  I'm building a MAME cab (surprise!), and have gathered from the hundred or so threads I've read on the topic that having the latest, greatest video card doesn't matter as much as MAME is mostly CPU dependent.

However, most of those statements are from 2002 - 2003.  I'm curious as to what card to purchase nowadays, not so much in the "OMG HUGE GPU/VPU" aspect, but how much Video RAM should be on the card.  I'm wanting to be able to run pretty much everything that currently CAN run on MAME, particularly fighters, and I've heard that games like Killer Instinct, with the proper setup, can be run pretty well.

I currently have a video card I can use, but it's pretty friggin' old, and I'd like to know if it will "handle" things.  If it will, I'll be able to get two lightguns from Actlabs as well, if not, well, the video card is the way I can SEE this stuff, and I'll just have to wait on the lightguns (which I want to get in, of course, as I build the cab, not after.

Here's the list of computer parts that should be coming in tomorrow, and the card I've already got (I also already have a hard drive, CD-ROM drive, case, etc).

Motherboard: SIS655FX ASROCK P4S55FX RTL
Sound Card: SOUND BLASTER AUDIGY LS
CPU: P4/2.8GHz, 800M 478P/512K HT %
System Memory: 512MB Mushkin PC-3200/400MHz DDR SDRAM

The video card I currently have is the Leadtek Winfast GeForce 2 GTS 32MB DDR.

I've seen from some posts that a 64MB Video Card is the way to go if you want to run EVERYTHING (minus, of course, stuff like Cruis'n USA/Area51).

Is it worth the upgrade?

id reccomend a 128MB video card, theyre cheap these days and if youre gonna upgrade you might as well do it right. with one of those the only thing holding you back from running CHD games full force would be your processor. and some games the technolgy doesnt exsist yet to emulate, wed need like 15ghz cpus
"Owens is the ringleader in the ass hat circus"  D K

Sephroth57

• Poo Monkey
  • Offline Offline
    • Check it out!!!
« Reply #82 on: June 29, 2004, 09:55:48 am »
Note, I am not going to bother with CHD games, because everyone has problems with those. I feel the other selected games are a good cross of eras, gametypes, and hardware platforms. I am not going to bother testing faster machines than 1200, because I don't own any faster machines, and there are very few games that see much benefit from faster than that anyway.

Hi,

What are CHD games ? Does it has any relation with the "name_of_the_game.chd NOT FOUND" error ?

Thanks

youve probably just downloaded the rom file and not the CHD file. if you look at a game say killer instinct, the rom is only like 1MB, obviously all those graphics arent in there. you gotta find the .chd file also

PedroSilva

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 01, 2018, 08:37:57 am
  • Grettings !
« Reply #83 on: June 29, 2004, 10:19:46 am »

Hi,

Thanks

youve probably just downloaded the rom file and not the CHD file. if you look at a game say killer instinct, the rom is only like 1MB, obviously all those graphics arent in there. you gotta find the .chd file also

So .... if I understand right the .chd are graphic files.

Great ... thanks ... I was wondering what that was ...  ;D

Landstander

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 07, 2006, 08:18:36 pm
  • I stand on the land!
« Reply #84 on: June 29, 2004, 11:44:06 am »

I always thought that .chd meant Compressed Hard Drive. I assumed the games that had these files associated with them had actual hard drives in them to store virtually all the code (not just the graphics).

Sephroth57

• Poo Monkey
  • Offline Offline
    • Check it out!!!
« Reply #85 on: June 29, 2004, 02:11:16 pm »
yes you are correct, but for my example i was just saying all the good graphics in killer instinct, are not going to fit into a 1 MB ROM file

exibar

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 28, 2022, 01:42:35 am
  • I'm the creator of Exibar's Lair!
« Reply #86 on: August 21, 2004, 11:58:20 pm »
Why don't we have an official FAQ that is based upon price of MB/CPU/RAM  and percent of games that it will play?

We could setup a matrix and post that as the FAQ.  Has this been done already?

This way people will know what type of mb/cpu/ram they can get for $200, $300, $400, $500...  Perhaps we cap it at $500 for a dedicated MAME setup?

HD's, cases, etc don't have to be part of the matrix due to the "buy what you can afford" rule.  As long as the HD is over 40gig, you'll be fine....

any takers to help me compile such a matrix?  Send me the info for the dollar amounts above and I'll throw it all into a nice excel spreadsheet :-)

Mike B

pointdablame

• I think Drew is behind this conspiracy...
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 09, 2023, 09:11:07 pm
  • Saint and Woogie let me back in!
« Reply #87 on: August 22, 2004, 12:00:48 pm »
I don't really see the point in that since an older system will easily play most games in MAME.  You could buy an old 500mhz system for like $25 at a garage sale or the like and be able to play 80 or 90% of all games in mame.

No one is going to buy parts to put together a 500mhz system... if they are... well.... something is wrong with them.

If you're buying parts for a new computer, they are going to be newer parts, so a matrix isn't necessary.  Buy a CPU... want a faster one? Spend more money and get a faster one... you don't need a listing to show you that a new CPU will let you play 1 new game do you?  You're comment of "buy what you can afford" is exactly what you should do with everything.  

This thread already says that xxx mhz can play xx% of games, so that should be your basis.  Once you figure out what rough percentage of games you want to run, build/buy a system that can do that.

O, and you don't need nearly as big a hdd as 40gig for a MAME machine, especially if you aren't running all the newer games.  People make classic mame cabs with 500mb hard drives.  It all depends on what you want out of the cab.

Just me .02
first off your and idiot

Man I love the internet, haha.

shadowdrak

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 20, 2005, 04:59:54 pm
  • I'm still a llama!
« Reply #88 on: August 22, 2004, 02:47:52 pm »
Actually these days anything too much below the speed of the lowest athlon XP is actually more expesive.  At this point, brand name DDR can be more cheaply at FSB speeds higher than what you actually need (I recently bought 400Mhz rather than 266 for this reason).  and actually Pc-133 sdrams are getting more expensive every week.

On a budget, I would suggest you buy a mobo with the processor already installed.  And try to find one with onboard lan and sound(most new ones come with it anyway now).  It is usually cheaper this way and the onboard components are decent and usually a standard chipset.  Ye be warned however not to get onboard video IMO, as it probably won't work with TVs or aracde monitors very well, and even if it does, it means you don't get an AGP slot and usually the cards suck anyway.  Also, when it comes to memory, most name brands have something called a value line, and if uber(and i stress uber ;D) performance is not an issue it is cheaper.  The only difference really is something called the CAS latency and is not important for most users to worry about.

I can see why you would suggest a bigger HD just to prevent people from upgradeing but if one is writting a FAQ i don't think you should say you NEED a 60GB HD when at the time you can really get by with a 40GB. Yes there little difference in price between the two now days, but I think it should be noted on what is requried and what is suggested.

The Difference in price on these things now-a-days is like $10(less than the cost of shipping on some websites).  A lot of retail stores don't even sell anything less than 80GB as well.  My advise to people who don't know what to buy has always been to buy slightly more than you think you need.  This may only mean buying a machine with 10% extra if prices are prohibitive.  It is my experience that boxes get outdated pretty fast.  If you really don't need the space then don't get it though.

I personally am going to use an old box for the one I will be building though.  I am going to build a new computer for my main one and then put the old one in my cabinet.
So I guess maybe I just broke my own rule  ;).  And ignore this of course If you only want to play older games.  Actually if I am too poor by the end of the project, I may just use an old 1Ghz computer that I am running Solaris on.  But I digress...

If you decide to go the network route for transfering files to your cabinet, you may also decide to make it a personal file-server(standard windows peer-peer networking is sufficient).  If you can't think of what you would use it for then you probably wouldn't use it.  But it can save storage space if you use a lot of files in different places.  This is important for me at least, because I am a hard-drive hog and I have a lot of computers and limited space.  Just something to consider, but only makes sense if you already use at least 2-3 computers already.

Anyway, save those cpu cycles when you aren't playing games.  I am getting off topic here so I am going to stop.  I'm talking about brand name brand name parts here bought on the internet (try www.newegg.com they are cheap and reputable).

DougHillman

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 13, 2004, 07:39:18 pm
« Reply #89 on: September 10, 2004, 05:28:02 pm »
Building a cab for a friend.  This is the first one that I actually have to purchase a computer for, instead of one being supplied by the customer.   She's wanting to keep the costs down as much as possible (as usual.  Doesn't everyone.)

Pros/cons for a Celeron?  I'm pretty much an AMD guy myself, but we may have an angle on a good celeron deal.  Any pitfalls to using a Celeron?  

Thanks,

D
If you can't be a good example at least try to be a horrible reminder.

gumby510

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 17, 2022, 09:19:44 pm
  • SR-20 NX 2000
« Reply #90 on: September 24, 2004, 04:32:00 am »
Don't kill me if this isn't the kosher thing to do, being my first post and all, but it seems like bumping way old threads is acceptable (and I hate 5,000 repeat threads as much as anyone).

Here's the question:  I'm building a MAME cab (surprise!), and have gathered from the hundred or so threads I've read on the topic that having the latest, greatest video card doesn't matter as much as MAME is mostly CPU dependent.

However, most of those statements are from 2002 - 2003.  I'm curious as to what card to purchase nowadays, not so much in the "OMG HUGE GPU/VPU" aspect, but how much Video RAM should be on the card.  I'm wanting to be able to run pretty much everything that currently CAN run on MAME, particularly fighters, and I've heard that games like Killer Instinct, with the proper setup, can be run pretty well.

I currently have a video card I can use, but it's pretty friggin' old, and I'd like to know if it will "handle" things.  If it will, I'll be able to get two lightguns from Actlabs as well, if not, well, the video card is the way I can SEE this stuff, and I'll just have to wait on the lightguns (which I want to get in, of course, as I build the cab, not after.

Here's the list of computer parts that should be coming in tomorrow, and the card I've already got (I also already have a hard drive, CD-ROM drive, case, etc).

I've seen from some posts that a 64MB Video Card is the way to go if you want to run EVERYTHING (minus, of course, stuff like Cruis'n USA/Area51).

Is it worth the upgrade?

Im in the process of build a computer and wanted to know what will run Killer Instinct at full speed? Thats really the only CHD i want to play.  Thanks

Agent Davis

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 11, 2008, 04:14:41 pm
« Reply #91 on: September 24, 2004, 09:51:26 am »
On memory and CAS Latency:  Tomshardware article back in January

http://www.tomshardware.com/motherboard/20040119/index.html

To sum it up, except for the worst timings you can have, memory timings affect performance very very little.

krick

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 08, 2023, 08:30:27 pm
  • Gotta have blue hair.
« Reply #92 on: October 03, 2004, 01:47:43 am »
shadowdrak said regarding hard drives...

The Difference in price on these things now-a-days is like $10(less than the cost of shipping on some websites).  A lot of retail stores don't even sell anything less than 80GB as well.  My advise to people who don't know what to buy has always been to buy slightly more than you think you need.  This may only mean buying a machine with 10% extra if prices are prohibitive.  It is my experience that boxes get outdated pretty fast.  If you really don't need the space then don't get it though.

I'd recommend that people don't buy anything larger than 120GB.  Windows 98 can't deal with drives bigger than 120GB and I know people that have problems with large drives even in Windows XP.

Hantarex Polo 15KHz
Sapphire Radeon HD 7750 2GB (GCN)
GroovyMAME 0.197.017h_d3d9ex
CRT Emudriver & CRT Tools 2.0 beta 13 (Crimson 16.2.1 for GCN cards)
Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
Intel Core i7-4790K @ 4.8GHz
ASUS Z87M-PLUS Motherboard

subzero23

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 24, 2017, 03:21:43 am
« Reply #93 on: November 12, 2004, 07:43:19 pm »
Here is the computer setup for the cab I'm planning to build to play MOSTLY mame, but could probably go for some other emulators down the line. As far as games go I'm mostly interested in all the traditional stand and play joystick/button games, all capcom fighters etc, all Mortal Kombats, Killer Instincts.... basically anything like that. Please critique it and tell me what my Mame capabilities will be. I picked the parts based off reviews but may change them but the specs will probably be similar.

DVD-Rom of some sort
Processor: AMD Athlon XP 2700+, 333MHz FSB, 256K Cache Processor - Retail
Harddrive:  SAMSUNG 120GB 7200RPM IDE Hard Drive, Model SP1213N, OEM Drive Only  
Memory:Kingston ValueRAM Dual Kits 184 Pin 512MB(256MBx2) DDR PC-3200
Case:APEX Beige Mid-Tower Super Case with 350W Power Supply, Model "7C574-115"  

Motherbord:ECS "K7VTA3 V6.0" VIA KT333 Chipset Motherboard for AMD Socket A CPU -RETAIL
Video card:SAPPHIRE ATI RADEON 9200SE Video Card, 64MB DDR, 64-bit, TV-Out, 8X AGP -BULK  
Sound card: something cheap.

Am I missing any other essentials?
This user has been banned by saint and cannot reply. --- saint

deoblo85

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 24, 2012, 11:13:47 am
  • GAME or DIE
« Reply #94 on: November 12, 2004, 09:12:52 pm »
I think if you want to run as much games as you want possible as far as chd games like blitz for an example you need at least a pen4 2.8 or higher with hyper threading to run the higher end games any other game that it won't run the processors don't exist!and it's not that expensive.I got one from dell for $375.00 come on you can't beat that!a 2.8 pen 4 with hyper threading(server)The rest is settings :'(that's the hard part atleast for me :'(But i'm really close

subzero23

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 24, 2017, 03:21:43 am
« Reply #95 on: November 12, 2004, 10:13:05 pm »
No no I don't really care about the 3D games like Blitz
just basically any 2D game...I can't think of any 3D games really that I'd want to play so I'm not worried about it.

and was that 375 JUST for the processor? :O
This user has been banned by saint and cannot reply. --- saint

starnix17

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 19, 2011, 11:00:29 am
Re: The "What PC do I need to run MAME?" Official FAQ
« Reply #96 on: November 29, 2004, 06:50:23 pm »
I really want to build a MAME cabinet, and the only spare PC I have is an old Packerd Bell with a Cyrix M II 250mhz processor, 64 megs of ram (maxed out), and onboard graphics.

What upgrade would be the best bang for my buck?

The only thing I can think of is replacing the motherboard with a Duron mobo, buying a Duron 1.1 ghz processor, and putting in some extra ram I have around here (256 megs).

Would that allow me to play most 2D games? I wanna load it up with mostly fighting games (Marvel vs. Capcom, MK, etc.)
« Last Edit: November 29, 2004, 07:18:06 pm by starnix17 »

SirPeale

• Green Mountain Man
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+23)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 04, 2023, 09:51:57 am
  • Arcade Repair in New England
    • Arcade Game and Other Coin-Op Projects
« Reply #97 on: November 29, 2004, 07:26:13 pm »
Well...just about anything is better than what you have.

If you're looking for fighting games only, I'd go with at least 1.4GHz.  Prob more speed than you need, but that extra will go a long way.

Sephroth57

• Poo Monkey
  • Offline Offline
    • Check it out!!!
« Reply #98 on: November 30, 2004, 01:23:01 pm »
wow i forgot i made this thread, the main FAQ could probably use an update.

Starnix, i would reccomend a new mobo/processor cause youre not gonna run fighting games too well on that rig. If you want to stay as cheap as possible, maybe grab a duron 1.6ghz or something like that with a mobo combo, they actually just had a sale like that but it expired =(    but look for something along those lines and it will play the 2D games fine

pointdablame

• I think Drew is behind this conspiracy...
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 09, 2023, 09:11:07 pm
  • Saint and Woogie let me back in!
« Reply #99 on: November 30, 2004, 02:02:17 pm »
outpost.com had a AMD Sempron 2400+/ECS motherboard combo for 59 bux a few days ago.  That'd be a good bang for your buck upgrade.  It won't run "everything" in MAME, but it'll def give you a nice boost.

EDIT:  here's a link

http://shop1.outpost.com/product/4189253?site=sr:SEARCH:MAIN_RSLT_PG

They also have other combos with a 2500+, 2800+, etc.  The motherboards accept Athlon XP CPUs as well if you wanted to upgrade later on.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2004, 02:04:20 pm by pointdablame »
first off your and idiot

Man I love the internet, haha.

starnix17

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 19, 2011, 11:00:29 am
« Reply #100 on: November 30, 2004, 03:30:19 pm »
Wow, that's pretty cheap. I might just go with it (still gotta see if I can get a cabnet of a friend of mine).

I had a friend run a few figting games on his Celeron 2.2 ghz with 256 megs of RAM and he said they ran fine. I doubt I'll play anythink 2D, just fighting games (Marvel vs. Capcom, Marvel vs. Street Fighter, Mortal Kombat, King of Fighters) and some old games (Donkey Kong, Space Invaders, etc. doubt they would have trouble running).

eyal8r

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 11, 2007, 01:14:20 am
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #101 on: November 30, 2004, 11:38:23 pm »

elvis

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 13, 2023, 05:31:03 pm
  • penguin poker
    • StickFreaks
« Reply #102 on: December 01, 2004, 01:58:48 am »
outpost.com had a AMD Sempron 2400+/ECS motherboard combo for 59 bux a few days ago.  That'd be a good bang for your buck upgrade.  It won't run "everything" in MAME, but it'll def give you a nice boost.

Remember that the Sempron has half the L2 cache of an AthlonXP.  MAME loves cache, and it can help things along immensely.  The MAME devs typically recommend avoiding low-cache models if it can be helped.

That said, $59 for a 2400+ and motherboard is a steal.  That wouldn't even buy you half a CPU where I come from. :)

eyal8r

• Offline Offline
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #103 on: December 01, 2004, 04:12:35 am »
so wait- the one on outpost for $59, does that have high enough level of cache on it or no?

I am wanting to not only run mame Analog+ on XP, but also N64, NES, SNES, etc.  Will that little setup work ok?
Thanks
D

paigeoliver

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 29, 2022, 06:10:15 pm
  • Awesome face!
« Reply #104 on: December 01, 2004, 04:55:36 am »
so wait- the one on outpost for $59, does that have high enough level of cache on it or no?

I am wanting to not only run mame Analog+ on XP, but also N64, NES, SNES, etc.  Will that little setup work ok?
Thanks
D

You are going nuts with these WHAT COMPUTER DO I NEED threads.

What computer are you using now?

Good. Then try the software out on the computer you are using now. Does it work? Good, then use that one and get yourself a different computer. Problem solved.
Acceptance of Zen philosophy is marred slightly by the nagging thought that if all things are interconnected, then all things must be in some way involved with Pauly Shore.

eyal8r

• Offline Offline
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #105 on: December 01, 2004, 02:38:27 pm »
lol- well, this is my business machine here, so I don't want to scrap that. But, I get your point, thanks for being blunt with it. I'll use what I got, and upgrade later if it sucks. Let's move on....
D

Xisiqomelir

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 30, 2005, 06:03:36 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #106 on: January 30, 2005, 05:25:50 pm »

Here's the question:  I'm building a MAME cab (surprise!), and have gathered from the hundred or so threads I've read on the topic that having the latest, greatest video card doesn't matter as much as MAME is mostly CPU dependent.

However, most of those statements are from 2002 - 2003.  I'm curious as to what card to purchase nowadays, not so much in the "OMG HUGE GPU/VPU" aspect, but how much Video RAM should be on the card.  I'm wanting to be able to run pretty much everything that currently CAN run on MAME, particularly fighters, and I've heard that games like Killer Instinct, with the proper setup, can be run pretty well.

I currently have a video card I can use, but it's pretty friggin' old, and I'd like to know if it will "handle" things.  If it will, I'll be able to get two lightguns from Actlabs as well, if not, well, the video card is the way I can SEE this stuff, and I'll just have to wait on the lightguns (which I want to get in, of course, as I build the cab, not after.

Is it worth the upgrade?

Im in the process of build a computer and wanted to know what will run Killer Instinct at full speed? Thats really the only CHD i want to play.  Thanks

I'd like to bump gumby's question, because I'm planning to build a comp for a MAME cab, and I too think Killer Instinct 2 should be the most processor-intensive thing I'll run.

Sephroth57

• Poo Monkey
  • Offline Offline
    • Check it out!!!
« Reply #107 on: January 30, 2005, 11:04:46 pm »
well first off using MAME to get KI 2 is pointless, your best bet is to use a program called UI64. its made specificly for emulating arcade roms of KI 1 and 2. i have my athlon xp 2000+ running KI 2 PRETTY well, there is occassional slowdown and choppyness. i would say a nice 500mhz past mine would be sufficient for full speed with no problems.

so basicly 2ghz runs its like 95% for me, little slowdown here and there
im thinking a 2.5ghz would run it fine, anyone personally run KI on a slightly higher system than mine and did ok?

introputz

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 31, 2005, 06:18:39 pm
« Reply #108 on: January 31, 2005, 05:28:37 pm »
this thread has been helpfull. im going to buy a new pc for my setup, but what i am really interested is what CPU speed is need to run Blitz...

is anyone here playing blitz without any problems and what system setup are u running?

i dont want to go out and buy a AMD 2200 and then later find out that i needed a AMD64 3200 to run blits..

this pc will be for mame and some computer games..

thx
« Last Edit: January 31, 2005, 05:31:11 pm by introputz »

Paul Olson

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 04:17:12 pm
    • Paul's Arcade
« Reply #109 on: January 31, 2005, 05:36:38 pm »
I could be wrong, but I don't think Blitz will play at full speed on any current hardware.

Paul

IntruderAlert

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 02, 2007, 09:10:59 am
  • Chicken.. Fight Like A Robot
    • Intruder Alert
« Reply #110 on: March 16, 2005, 04:14:37 pm »
Sephroth, could you tell us which games you can't run at full speed with your 2000+
or maybe post a list of the games that you do run at full speed with it?

Silverwind

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 26, 2022, 12:49:09 am
« Reply #111 on: August 05, 2005, 01:13:31 pm »
Is there any games an athlon 64 X2 4200+ would have a problem running?  I am going to upgrade my PC as my next project and was wondering if that would be a good chip to run all the games.

tristan

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 07, 2022, 05:37:32 pm
  • I have no idea what's going on
    • Nothing
« Reply #112 on: August 05, 2005, 01:31:32 pm »
I can guarantee that a 2200 will not play Blitz. I have a 2500+ (333) and it's quite unplayable. The emulation appears quite nice though.

this thread has been helpfull. im going to buy a new pc for my setup, but what i am really interested is what CPU speed is need to run Blitz...

is anyone here playing blitz without any problems and what system setup are u running?

i dont want to go out and buy a AMD 2200 and then later find out that i needed a AMD64 3200 to run blits..

this pc will be for mame and some computer games..

thx

hartdre

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 19, 2006, 11:13:52 pm
    • NewGame Arcade
« Reply #113 on: January 02, 2006, 09:11:05 pm »
... or dish out for the supreme PC of the month.

Ha Ha! Quite true with the computer industry these days!
Great faq by teh way. Helped alot.
-Drew
(or is it?)

stankit

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 19, 2006, 08:01:28 pm
« Reply #114 on: January 29, 2006, 04:14:57 pm »
whats a CHD games?

and whats the best to do if i really only want to play Mame games and arcade games (mainly old, but some newer arcade games)

javeryh

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 07:26:26 pm
« Reply #115 on: January 29, 2006, 08:58:25 pm »
Tagged for later reading.

elvis

• Offline Offline
  • penguin poker
    • StickFreaks
« Reply #116 on: January 30, 2006, 03:53:49 am »
Is there any games an athlon 64 X2 4200+ would have a problem running?  I am going to upgrade my PC as my next project and was wondering if that would be a good chip to run all the games.

Dual core will not help MAME in the slightest (and all these "but it makes my virus scanner go faster in the background" posters be damned, you're paying extra to compensate for crap software??? Change virus scanners! - dual core are SLOWER in MHz than a similarly ranked single core!).

If you are buying just for MAME, buy the fastest single-core chip you can afford.  Dual core, hyperthreading, all of that guff means nothing to MAME, which is single threaded, and will be forever more.

elvis

• Offline Offline
  • penguin poker
    • StickFreaks
« Reply #117 on: January 30, 2006, 03:59:04 am »

Great ... thanks ... I was wondering what that was ...  ;D

CHD officially stands for "Compressed Hunks of Data".  Generally speaking they are hard disk or CDROM images, mimicing the layout of the same pieces of hardware found in more recent arcade systems.

In games that are quite graphics heavy, it was often substantially cheaper to load the games from a CDROM or hard disk to flash RAM (or sometimes even normal RAM) than it was to write everything to expensive ROM chips.  Typically speaking, *MOST* of the games requireing CHDs are fairly recent, and require a powerful system to emulate.  Notable and popular exceptions are Area51 and Killer Instinct which do run on fairly mid-range (by today's new hardware standards) hardware - although just quietly I find both of them to be as boring as watching paint dry, but each to their own.

I should note that this sort of thing is contained in the MAME FAQ.  It might pay for folks to read it first, and ask questions second?

http://www.mame.net/mamefaq.html

Stingray

• Official Slacker - I promise to try a lot less
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 08, 2021, 03:43:54 pm
« Reply #118 on: January 30, 2006, 12:18:14 pm »

I should note that this sort of thing is contained in the MAME FAQ.  It might pay for folks to read it first, and ask questions second?

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA! Woo! HAHAHAHAHAHAHA! That's rich. :)

-S
Stingray you magnificent bastard!
This place is dead lately.  Stingray scare everyone off?

Silverwind

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 26, 2022, 12:49:09 am
« Reply #119 on: January 30, 2006, 03:18:34 pm »

Dual core will not help MAME in the slightest (and all these "but it makes my virus scanner go faster in the background" posters be damned, you're paying extra to compensate for crap software??? Change virus scanners! - dual core are SLOWER in MHz than a similarly ranked single core!).

If you are buying just for MAME, buy the fastest single-core chip you can afford.  Dual core, hyperthreading, all of that guff means nothing to MAME, which is single threaded, and will be forever more.

I agree with you that dual core does not help with mame which is why I did not ask about dual core.

As for the processor itself, is there any games that a 4200+ single/dual core could not run well?