Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Gil's No Name Mame Cabinet  (Read 47880 times)

nordemoniac

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 26, 2023, 02:41:28 am
  • Weee! Hahaha...
Re: Gil's No Name Mame Cabinet
« Reply #40 on: October 10, 2014, 11:05:39 am »
Uhm, the artwork is kinda cool, although it looks like you're controlling the wizard's wang...
How about a half-transparent black overlay around the buttons and joystick? Just to gather them on each side.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2014, 11:08:01 am by nordemoniac »

Gilrock

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 14, 2024, 05:47:24 pm
« Reply #41 on: October 10, 2014, 05:46:54 pm »
I love that control panel artwork man! However, it looks like the spinner isn't to scale.

Quick question, what size monitor did you go with for the Marquee? Is it the 29" or the 34"? Thanks!

I got the 29" Dell Ultrasharp monitor that has the 21:9 ratio.  The spinner probably isn't to scale.  I just grabbed an image from goggle and scaled it manually to get an idea of how it would look.

Gilrock

• Offline Offline
« Reply #42 on: October 10, 2014, 05:48:05 pm »
Uhm, the artwork is kinda cool, although it looks like you're controlling the wizard's wang...
How about a half-transparent black overlay around the buttons and joystick? Just to gather them on each side.

You guys crack me up.  How many times has someone found a penis in artwork this week? LOL

Gilrock

• Offline Offline
« Reply #43 on: October 10, 2014, 05:50:31 pm »
To be honest I hadn't really been staring at the image like that.  This is version I was working with and then I hid the joystick arrows at the last minute cause it seemed to cover up too much of the image.  I also have a layer with borders around the buttons but I don't like it yet.  Maybe if I make it smaller it might make the cut.

Gilrock

• Offline Offline
« Reply #44 on: October 11, 2014, 02:44:28 pm »
This is the side art I have currently.  The artist for these images is Christina Yen from www.sixthleafclover.com

yotsuya

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 10:19:17 pm
  • 2014 UCA Winner, 2014, 2015, 2016 ZapCon Winner
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,137636.msg1420628.html
« Reply #45 on: October 11, 2014, 03:00:12 pm »
Can you fix the aspect ratio on them? They look kind of squished. I know you want it to "fit" the shape of the cab, but I never think it looks good when people do it.
***Build what you dig, bro. Build what you dig.***

nordemoniac

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 26, 2023, 02:41:28 am
  • Weee! Hahaha...
« Reply #46 on: October 11, 2014, 05:31:47 pm »
To be honest I hadn't really been staring at the image like that.  This is version I was working with and then I hid the joystick arrows at the last minute cause it seemed to cover up too much of the image.  I also have a layer with borders around the buttons but I don't like it yet.  Maybe if I make it smaller it might make the cut.

If I were you, I wouldn't use arrows etc, it makes it messy, there's already so much going on in the background.
Try circular semi-transparent black as an overlay, and something surrounding the buttons for each player, and one for the top buttons. Just to make it "easier" to see the buttons.

Gilrock

• Offline Offline
« Reply #47 on: October 11, 2014, 08:17:14 pm »
Can you fix the aspect ratio on them? They look kind of squished. I know you want it to "fit" the shape of the cab, but I never think it looks good when people do it.

I didn't just fit the image to the cab.  I've already trimmed part of the image.  To maintain the original aspect ratio I would need to cutout about 50% of the image in the horizontal direction.  I'm trying to figure out what I can live with.  If I don't squeeze it at all I basically have dragons with no wings which I don't think looks good.

yamatetsu

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 07:15:03 am
  • Just because.
« Reply #48 on: October 11, 2014, 08:30:01 pm »
Perhaps you could take the logo from the CP and put that at the bottom of the sides, make it about a fourth or so of the side's height and put the dragons above it ? That way you wouldn't need to stretch them so much.

Cobolisdead

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 04, 2017, 08:35:11 am
  • Restoring my 8th arcade machine, Mortal Kombat 2!
« Reply #49 on: October 11, 2014, 08:34:15 pm »
I was wondering how you fit a 50" in there with that narrow of a marquee. Is it a really thin bezel? I only ask because my 40" is 26" tall, and I was trying to figure out how that would work.

As for the artwork, The dragons don't really go with the LOTR style that you are using for the control panel, IMO, especially the blue one.  Maybe you could find something that matched the controller theme in style and content?

grippie

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 10, 2022, 03:07:35 pm
  • Genesis Does
    • Optimus Meatron
« Reply #50 on: October 11, 2014, 10:03:04 pm »

Love the ring detail around the trackball. nice touch. :applaud:

As for the artwork, The dragons don't really go with the LOTR style that you are using for the control panel, IMO, especially the blue one.  Maybe you could find something that matched the controller theme in style and content?

Yea I agree. The CPO looks awesome, but the side panels, even though they are cool dragons, aren't really LOTRish. I think putting the two towers, Isengard and Barad Dur on the sides would be cool. If you're going for good vs evil, then maybe the eye of sauron on one side and minas tirith on the other?

Gilrock

• Offline Offline
« Reply #51 on: October 13, 2014, 09:50:00 am »
I was wondering how you fit a 50" in there with that narrow of a marquee. Is it a really thin bezel? I only ask because my 40" is 26" tall, and I was trying to figure out how that would work.

I provided my Google Sketchup file so you could always install that free program and see exactly how my TV fits.

As far as the artwork I'm really not wanting it to look like images from the movies.  It's more of a LOTR influence.  I was trying to avoid using images that are copyrighted.  That's why the control panel is a fan art image and not real images from the movies.  I'm going to have to flip the control panel image or swap the side panels because the white dragon needs to be on the side of the white wizard since he summoned him to fight for the side of good.  Plus as I mentioned before I spent $200 for the rights to the dragon images so they are going to be on the cab one way or another.

I've actually got to start building a new pixel tree for my xmas display so I'll need to set this aside for a couple months.

Malenko

• KNEEL BEFORE ZODlenko!
  • Trade Count: (+58)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 26, 2024, 07:29:48 pm
  • Have you played with my GingerBalls?
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,142404.msg1475162.html
« Reply #52 on: October 14, 2014, 09:12:50 am »
http://www.tomwoodfantasyart.com/

Artist is a stand up guy and when asked about re-using his art for a one off, he seemed cool about it. Why dont you check out his site and ask him to use something if it tickles your fancy?
If you're replying to a troll you are part of the problem.
I also need to follow this advice. Ignore or report, don't reply.

Gilrock

• Offline Offline
« Reply #53 on: October 15, 2014, 05:37:15 pm »
I got my box of controls in from Ultimarc.  I'm not sure I know how to properly mount the servo joysticks.  I thought they would normally be mounted from the bottom but that shaft looks so short it's got me wondering.  Anyone have pics of these mounted in your control panel?

dkersten

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 12, 2024, 11:47:30 am
  • If you are gonna do it, do it right..
« Reply #54 on: October 16, 2014, 12:19:03 pm »
Here is a servostick mounted in 3/4" MDF with a 1/4" inset routed into it (effectively 1/2" undermount) with the original height shafts.  You can always get the longer shafts if you don't like the height.

Gilrock

• Offline Offline
« Reply #55 on: October 16, 2014, 12:29:25 pm »
Ok thanks for sharing the photo.  I think I'll try for 1/2" also and see how it feels.  Also it gives me an idea.  I have a metal lathe and was thinking it might be cool to machine some type of ball or bat topper out of brass to match the gold coloring on my control panel.

gbeef

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 22, 2018, 03:32:26 pm
    • arcadepix.com
« Reply #56 on: October 16, 2014, 12:41:14 pm »
CP looks good. the side art i would try and find something that match the overall concept better. The Red and blue don't match the CP. I would base your sideart on the CP instead of trying to get 3 separate looks for each piece. It will make your arcade look co-hesive.

My cabs
4 Player Arcade
X-men Arcade Remixed
My Pin Cab Attack of the PINZ cab
My Racing Cabinet Cab [URL=http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=

Gilrock

• Offline Offline
« Reply #57 on: October 16, 2014, 02:03:11 pm »
Yeah that same comment has been made about the side art and trust me I've had the same reservations before I even posted the images.  I'm not sure what I will end up doing.  Not being an artist I have to work with what I can get my hands on.  It's not easy to find images that will look good when you make them 6 feet tall.  I've got some ideas to try out when I get a chance.  I'll put the images on the cabinet in Sketchup so I can spin the cab around and see how everything looks when put together.

Cobolisdead

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 04, 2017, 08:35:11 am
  • Restoring my 8th arcade machine, Mortal Kombat 2!
« Reply #58 on: October 16, 2014, 03:14:20 pm »
Don't think of it as a lost investment if you don't use them. You can always have them printed as posters and put them in the arcade/gaming room.

scubajoe

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 03, 2018, 09:30:56 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #59 on: October 29, 2014, 08:39:09 pm »
Gil thank you for inspiring me. Ever since I found referb 21:9 monitors on Newegg for under $250 I have been dieing to do a project with them. I have been racking my brain trying to get one to work with existing cabs but I really liked your disign so I am going to build another.That Kreg jig looked great and ordered one on amazon. A 21:9 next. now it will be a battle between the virtrual pinball cab and this one to see who gets done first.

scubajoe

• Offline Offline
« Reply #60 on: October 31, 2014, 04:11:35 pm »
Anyone looking to get into this project newegg has 21:9 referb monitors now as low as 199 and tirger direct has 48 in monitors for 299. I think this cab project has just leap frogged my hyperpin project.

Thank you again Gil for the insperation.

dkersten

• Offline Offline
« Reply #61 on: November 03, 2014, 10:58:42 am »
The Costco here has a 21:9 24" monitor for $209 right now, brand new.  Cant remember the brand though lol.. Looked good..

Gilrock

• Offline Offline
« Reply #62 on: November 03, 2014, 02:01:54 pm »
Gil thank you for inspiring me. Ever since I found referb 21:9 monitors on Newegg for under $250 I have been dieing to do a project with them. I have been racking my brain trying to get one to work with existing cabs but I really liked your disign so I am going to build another.That Kreg jig looked great and ordered one on amazon. A 21:9 next. now it will be a battle between the virtrual pinball cab and this one to see who gets done first.

Maybe it was just me but I couldn't get into this website for the last 3 days until just now.  Anways good luck with your project.  You'll probably beat me because I have a few things that have jumped ahead on the priority list.

scubajoe

• Offline Offline
« Reply #63 on: November 03, 2014, 07:44:13 pm »
It was just you but, I hope you check in to see my many questions of your thoughts as it goes along. My wife has already started to ask what the 48in and 39in TV are doing in the spare bedroom.

Gilrock

• Offline Offline
« Reply #64 on: November 04, 2014, 09:09:47 am »
There is definitely an intermittent issue with this website.  I've seen it from home and work computers now.  I was getting some type of proxy destination error just 30 minutes ago and then now I get in.

Locke141

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 03, 2024, 06:00:00 am
  • Never grow up.
« Reply #65 on: November 04, 2014, 11:17:12 am »
Yeah well I do usually go bigger than average when I jump into something.  My wife said she wanted to decorate the house for xmas a few years ago and now I have a lightshow synchronized to music that I broadcast on an FM frequency for cars that drive by.  Here's a video of one of the songs:

That was amazing. Did you do a tsp by step on how you did that?

Gilrock

• Offline Offline
« Reply #66 on: November 04, 2014, 04:54:37 pm »
Yeah well I do usually go bigger than average when I jump into something.  My wife said she wanted to decorate the house for xmas a few years ago and now I have a lightshow synchronized to music that I broadcast on an FM frequency for cars that drive by.  Here's a video of one of the songs:

That was amazing. Did you do a tsp by step on how you did that?

No there's no instructions.  There are really tons of options you can do.  You can use standard lights or led pixels/strips and you use controller cards or boxes to control them.  If you're interested start looking at the products at lightorama.com and for the DIY pixel stuff goto auschristmaslighting.com and checkout the forums.  I used to use a PC but last year I converted to using a Raspberry Pi to control the whole show.  It sends E1.31 data over ethernet lines to all the controllers in the yard which is basically DMX over ethernet protocol.  The most time is sequencing the lights to the music.  It can take 3 to 8 hours to sequence one minute of a song.  If you're running single channel strands its pretty easy but when you get into pixels the channel count goes up exponential.  One pixel strip with 50 pixels is going to be 150 channels since each pixel has a red, green, and blue channel.  You have several software packages you can use:  Lightorama, Light Show Pro, XLights, and HLS to name a few.

tkropp17

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 02, 2017, 01:52:18 pm
  • Can't figure out how to change my username
« Reply #67 on: November 16, 2014, 10:44:03 pm »
Question on the setup with the TV. Since the resolution is 1080*1080, would this create more of a 4:4, rather than a 4:3? If so, would this make the screen look incorrect, as in too tall? I noticed Hyperspin looks a little vertically skewed, but I'm also used to a 16:9 screen and could be wrong. Best Buy has a black friday deal on a 50" TV and I'm teetering on what to do on the new build I'm starting. I'll either be sticking to my 32" or going to the 50" if it looks authentic.

Thanks!

Gilrock

• Offline Offline
« Reply #68 on: November 17, 2014, 08:14:49 am »
Question on the setup with the TV. Since the resolution is 1080*1080, would this create more of a 4:4, rather than a 4:3? If so, would this make the screen look incorrect, as in too tall? I noticed Hyperspin looks a little vertically skewed, but I'm also used to a 16:9 screen and could be wrong. Best Buy has a black friday deal on a 50" TV and I'm teetering on what to do on the new build I'm starting. I'll either be sticking to my 32" or going to the 50" if it looks authentic.

Thanks!

I think the screen looks fine.  I don't know what you are referring to when you say Hyperspin looks vertically skewed.  Are you referring to the Pacman image I showed earlier or something else.  I think the games look like the correct aspect ratio.  The best I can offer is look at my photos and also search for Maximus' Marvel vs Capcom: Revolution version 2 thread and see a bunch more screenshots and videos of the same aspect ratio.

tkropp17

• Offline Offline
« Reply #69 on: November 17, 2014, 10:34:42 am »

Thanks!

I think the screen looks fine.  I don't know what you are referring to when you say Hyperspin looks vertically skewed.  Are you referring to the Pacman image I showed earlier or something else.  I think the games look like the correct aspect ratio.  The best I can offer is look at my photos and also search for Maximus' Marvel vs Capcom: Revolution version 2 thread and see a bunch more screenshots and videos of the same aspect ratio.

Ya, sorry, I was referring to the MvC Rev 2 when thinking hyperspin looked weird and that may be because I am used to a 16:9 screen. I think the main thing I was unsure of is if the games are staying true to their 4:3 version because the resolution is is a perfect square as opposed to something like 640*480. I would think at 1080*1080, a game like pacman would look a little wider. Should the actual resolution be 1440*1080 for 4:3?

dkersten

• Offline Offline
« Reply #70 on: November 17, 2014, 10:40:24 am »
I believe the art files are square, and the game plays at 4:3 inside the art file, so the aspect ratio is right.  If you try to run the art files full screen on a 16:9 display, the total screen is square and the game is inside it at the right aspect ratio and you get some big black bars on the left and right.  If you set mame to chop the top and bottom off, the game still runs at the right ratio, and the artwork fills the sides of a 16:9.

tkropp17

• Offline Offline
« Reply #71 on: November 17, 2014, 10:45:55 am »
I believe the art files are square, and the game plays at 4:3 inside the art file, so the aspect ratio is right.  If you try to run the art files full screen on a 16:9 display, the total screen is square and the game is inside it at the right aspect ratio and you get some big black bars on the left and right.  If you set mame to chop the top and bottom off, the game still runs at the right ratio, and the artwork fills the sides of a 16:9.

Oh wow! I didn't realize that. I think that seals the deal on getting the 50" lol

http://blackfriday.bestbuy.com/

jick78

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 21, 2014, 05:26:09 pm
« Reply #72 on: November 21, 2014, 05:25:01 pm »
I'm really inspired to make a new cab now.  Can you show more pictures how you mounted the marquee monitor?  Did you take it out of the case?

Gilrock

• Offline Offline
« Reply #73 on: November 21, 2014, 08:52:29 pm »
I'm really inspired to make a new cab now.  Can you show more pictures how you mounted the marquee monitor?  Did you take it out of the case?

I'll try to remember to take some photos the next couple days.  I left the case on.  Basically I disassembled the stand that clamps into the back of the monitor and then mounted that piece of metal to a piece of wood (same type of wood used for the frame) and then I was able to snap the piece of wood right onto the monitor.  I used the Kreg jig to toenail two holes on each side of the piece of wood.  Then I had someone hold the monitor up in place and from the back side I screwed four screws into the holes which secured that piece of wood to each side frame.  There was one spot on the side of the frame that I had to cutout an indention so that the monitor would sit flush.  It's where the usb ports are on the side of the monitor.

Gilrock

• Offline Offline
« Reply #74 on: November 27, 2014, 10:59:45 am »
Ok I took some photos to help others that wanted to see how I mounted the monitors.  I had to disassemble the monitors from the frame to be able to take these photos.

This shows the two pieces of wood that form an angled lip for the main 50" monitor to rest on.  It's not easy to see but there is a small section of the wood cutout on the left because something on the TV interfered and the cutout is needed for it to sit flush:

To secure the main monitor I fashioned a piece of aluminum that attaches to the wood frame and I drilled holes so that I could use 2 M8 screws to attach the bar where the vesa holes are on the TV.  I may make a second bracket later for the lower holes but it held fairly secure with just one bracket:

For the top monitor I broke the mounting bracket apart from the original monitor stand and mounted it to a piece of wood using 6 screws:

I used another piece of wood as a spacer between the bracket and the board.  I really can't remember why I needed the spacer.  It either made it easier to mount the board or it made it so that the board was centered on the frame better when mounted:

Turn the board over and the bracket snaps right onto the monitor:

Due to the usb ports on the monitor the top left side of the frame needed a section cutout so the top monitor will sit flush:

Here's a view from the back showing the top monitor board screwed into place holding the monitor secure.  Once mounted you can't remove the top monitor by pushing the button to unsecure the bracket due to the fact that the top of the monitor cannot be tilted back to create the angle needed to release the monitor from the bracket.  I had to remove the screws from the mounting board to get access to the monitor for these photos:

tkropp17

• Offline Offline
« Reply #75 on: December 10, 2014, 11:24:24 pm »
Just curious if there was a reason you went with the 29" marquee instead of the 25" ultrawide monitor. It seems the 25" would be almost equal to the width of the TV. I just picked up a Sharp 50" and this might be my next step! :D

Gilrock

• Offline Offline
« Reply #76 on: December 10, 2014, 11:28:48 pm »
I didn't look into it that closely.  Maximus used a 29" and I thought it looked nice on his setup so I copied him.

scubajoe

• Offline Offline
« Reply #77 on: October 08, 2015, 03:48:39 pm »
Gil are you still out there?

Gilrock

• Offline Offline
« Reply #78 on: October 08, 2015, 04:25:34 pm »
Yes I haven't left the earth yet.

scubajoe

• Offline Offline
« Reply #79 on: October 08, 2015, 06:01:20 pm »
Thats good, did you ever finish the project? I have had all the monitors and such for a year now but havent had the time.