Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Gil's No Name Mame Cabinet  (Read 47873 times)

Gilrock

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 14, 2024, 05:47:24 pm
Gil's No Name Mame Cabinet
« on: September 18, 2014, 10:16:07 am »
Hi I'm new to the forum so first couple paragraphs is just a little background.  Just discovered it a week ago as I was planning to build my Mame cabinet.  I still own a small Mame cab I bought around 1998 from a company called Hanaho games.  The machine was set aside for several years and when I moved into a new house and got it back up and running I looked into updating everything to the latest Mame and that's when I discovered Hyperspin.  I realized I wanted a new PC so I got a new one and installed everything.  I started wanting a bigger screen so I began planning something new.  I bought a 32" TV and I ordered a pre-made controller from mameroom.com and the plan was to have a showcase style setup where I was going to build a pedestal for the controller and mount the TV to a bracket on the wall and maybe build a housing around it for speakers.  It was about that time I stumbled on the Hyperpin stuff over at Hyperspin and it diverted all my attention to the point where I began a virtual pinball build.  So that machine is complete and I've now refocused back on building a Mame cabinet.

In the virtual pinball forums I noticed a guy with a mame cab in his signature called Grounds 4 Divorce so I read his thread where I discovered a link to a video of the Marvel vs. Capcom Revolution machine by griffindodd.  So I really liked both of their machines and I was already planning in my head how I was going to do a rotating screen and all that.  So I was searching for griffindodd's build thread and discovered this forum where I found that he was now going by the name Maximus.  Luckily I didn't start building anything yet because one day I noticed he had a version 2 thread where he had dismantled his cabinet and installed a 51" plasma and a marquee monitor.  It took me like 10 seconds to decide that was my new plan so I could ditch the rotating monitor idea.

So I spent the last couple days designing the frame of the cabinet in Sketchup.  I've already bought a 50" LED TV because the plasma's in Best Buy just looked terrible.  I also ordered a 21:9 Dell Ultrasharp for the marquee which should arrive today.  I really have no clue what type of artwork or name I might want to give this cabinet so I'm just gonna build it and hope I think of something later.  Also now that I know how to build my own cabinet I don't really want the control panel I paid $700 for two years ago.  So I'm trying to decide if I might be able to sell it for pennies on the dollar or just rip it open and salvage parts from it.  The problem is now I'd like to have lighted buttons and trackball so it's turning out to not be much I can reuse from that panel.  I plan to use the panel just to run thing until I design a build a new control panel.

These photos show my design so far in Sketchup.

This photo is a screenshot of the control panel design from the mameroom website.  It ended up they didn't have the marble colored trackball so mine ended up being a white one.  I'm still upset they didn't refund me the cost of the trackball upgrade.  I'm going to ditch this and design my own.

This photo shows my virtual pinball cabinet but this was taken before it was completed.  I've since installed the side art on the back cabinet and installed an LED DMD between the speakers.  You can see my old Hanaho games cabinet on the left and the corner of my real Time Warp pinball machine on the right.

yotsuya

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 10:19:17 pm
  • 2014 UCA Winner, 2014, 2015, 2016 ZapCon Winner
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,137636.msg1420628.html
Re: Gil's No Name Mame Cabinet
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2014, 10:35:35 am »
You paid for an upgraded trackball and they didn't give it to you? Did you complain?
***Build what you dig, bro. Build what you dig.***

Gilrock

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2014, 11:00:11 am »
You paid for an upgraded trackball and they didn't give it to you? Did you complain?

Yeah that was well over a year ago maybe two.  My whole order didn't go well.  I waited several weeks and when I finally thought it was taking too long I called and found out they didn't have my order in their system.  I said well I've got a credit card charge for my order so they actually had me email them the photo I posted above so they would know what to build.  Then they emailed and said they could no longer get the marble colored trackball.  In my reply I reminded them that I had paid extra for that marble trackball upgrade.  I'm pretty sure the controller showed up and I never heard from them and I didn't make an issue out of it.

But now I really don't like the controller layout.  When I use the left joystick as player one it feels like my hand is too close to the edge and I feel like I'm positioned too far left.  It also seems like too many buttons.  When I use the trackball I'd be happy to use 3 buttons from the player 1 area on the left instead of having the 3 dedicated buttons.  And I don't feel like I need the dedicated 4 way stick at the top.  So I want to design and build my own layout now.  I had just gone with the default layout they were selling at the time.  I have a new CNC router so I'm itching to cutout my own panel on it.

Rabidgamer

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 02, 2019, 11:17:25 am
  • Another bartop noob
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2014, 11:03:14 am »
I believe his biggest problems were custom resolutions and aligning that custom resolution on the screen.
I would do some of those custom resolution and alignment tests on your screen before you mount this TV you bought. (or base any measurements on it)
Also, the reason he used plasma was so that blacks/contrast made the bezels look more real. I hope your LED TV has good contrast.

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2014, 11:04:21 am »

Yeah that was well over a year ago maybe two.  My whole order didn't go well.  I waited several weeks and when I finally thought it was taking too long I called and found out they didn't have my order in their system.  I said well I've got a credit card charge for my order so they actually had me email them the photo I posted above so they would know what to build.  Then they emailed and said they could no longer get the marble colored trackball.  In my reply I reminded them that I had paid extra for that marble trackball upgrade.  I'm pretty sure the controller showed up and I never heard from them and I didn't make an issue out of it.

But now I really don't like the controller layout.  When I use the left joystick as player one it feels like my hand is too close to the edge and I feel like I'm positioned too far left.  It also seems like too many buttons.  When I use the trackball I'd be happy to use 3 buttons from the player 1 area on the left instead of having the 3 dedicated buttons.  And I don't feel like I need the dedicated 4 way stick at the top.  So I want to design and build my own layout now.  I had just gone with the default layout they were selling at the time.  I have a new CNC router so I'm itching to cutout my own panel on it.

I like you, Gilrock. Welcome to the club. New members get their smoking jackets after 1000 posts.  :cheers:

Gilrock

• Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2014, 11:19:35 am »
I believe his biggest problems were custom resolutions and aligning that custom resolution on the screen.
I would do some of those custom resolution and alignment tests on your screen before you mount this TV you bought. (or base any measurements on it)
Also, the reason he used plasma was so that blacks/contrast made the bezels look more real. I hope your LED TV has good contrast.

Yeah I've already got the system up and running and I'm happy with the images.  The TV is lying against the wall with the PC sitting to the side and the controller lying on the floor in front of it.  It took me awhile to figure out how to get the 1080x1080 resolution working but I finally found the setting the kept nVidia from trying to stretch the image across the screen.  So I've got the 1080x1080 image centered on the screen and I measured its size which I used to size and position the donkey kong image you see in Sketchup so my image should come out where you see it in the model.

Rabidgamer

• Offline Offline
  • Another bartop noob
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2014, 11:25:09 am »
Yeah I've already got the system up and running and I'm happy with the images.  The TV is lying against the wall with the PC sitting to the side and the controller lying on the floor in front of it.  It took me awhile to figure out how to get the 1080x1080 resolution working but I finally found the setting the kept nVidia from trying to stretch the image across the screen.  So I've got the 1080x1080 image centered on the screen and I measured its size which I used to size and position the donkey kong image you see in Sketchup so my image should come out where you see it in the model.

:cheers:

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2014, 11:34:42 am »
I'm glad you're designing the marquee AROUND that monitor and not simply tacking it on. That makes all the difference in the world visually.  :cheers:

DGP

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 29, 2019, 05:25:09 pm
  • Gamer4Life
    • My Toys...
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2014, 08:13:09 pm »
How much are you looking to get from the CP that you are not going to use?

My autistic son would love that for his room.

Thanks,
Jason
Multi-Cade x2 (full size and bar top) / 3 screen Virtual Pin

tkropp17

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 02, 2017, 01:52:18 pm
  • Can't figure out how to change my username
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2014, 09:57:30 pm »
Subscribed  :cheers:

Gilrock

• Offline Offline
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2014, 03:41:08 pm »
Starting actually building on Friday.  Got the side frames built in a couple of hours.  I followed the design idea from Maximus to build a frame first and then close it in later.  I also took his idea of using the pocket hole jig.  I'd never used one before and I love that thing.  I was surprised how strong the joints end up.  In the photo below I turned one side so you can see all the pockets and the other side shows how clean it looks even though it will be covered up in the end.

Here's a pic of the Kreg jig I bought.  I liked it because I could clamp a board in place and drill both holes at the same time.  It made the work go really quick.  The boards in this photo are all the middle pieces I'll use to join the two side frames together.

Gilrock

• Offline Offline
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2014, 08:27:22 pm »
More progress photos:

Used two boards to create a spot for the edge of the TV to rest:

View of the sides put together:

Clamped a board on the front so that I could push against the TV on the back to align the front edge of the TV to the angled side boards:

Pushed a board up against the back of the TV and locked it in place with screws:

The marquee monitor is mounted and I hooked up the PC to test everything out:

A closer view:

Malenko

• KNEEL BEFORE ZODlenko!
  • Trade Count: (+58)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 26, 2024, 07:29:48 pm
  • Have you played with my GingerBalls?
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,142404.msg1475162.html
« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2014, 08:30:09 pm »
How much was that marquee monitor?

Loving the build so far  :cheers:
If you're replying to a troll you are part of the problem.
I also need to follow this advice. Ignore or report, don't reply.

Gilrock

• Offline Offline
« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2014, 12:00:10 am »
How much was that marquee monitor?

Loving the build so far  :cheers:

Almost $500 so don't tell my wife. :)

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2014, 12:08:58 am »

Malenko

• KNEEL BEFORE ZODlenko!
  • Trade Count: (+58)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 26, 2024, 07:29:48 pm
  • Have you played with my GingerBalls?
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,142404.msg1475162.html
« Reply #15 on: September 24, 2014, 07:50:38 am »
Well, it looks fantastic but I couldnt justify the cost for myself. James can stay peanut butter, cause Im jelly.
If you're replying to a troll you are part of the problem.
I also need to follow this advice. Ignore or report, don't reply.

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #16 on: September 24, 2014, 12:28:18 pm »
Well, it looks fantastic but I couldnt justify the cost for myself. James can stay peanut butter, cause Im jelly.

Yeah, same here. I've done full builds for around that much.  :cheers:

So don't worry, we won't tell the wife.  :cheers:

Gilrock

• Offline Offline
« Reply #17 on: September 24, 2014, 12:52:42 pm »
Yeah well I do usually go bigger than average when I jump into something.  My wife said she wanted to decorate the house for xmas a few years ago and now I have a lightshow synchronized to music that I broadcast on an FM frequency for cars that drive by.  Here's a video of one of the songs:

tkropp17

• Offline Offline
« Reply #18 on: September 24, 2014, 08:52:01 pm »
Do you happen to have a measurement of how much black space is above and below the viewable image?

Gilrock

• Offline Offline
« Reply #19 on: September 24, 2014, 10:40:32 pm »
I just measured 9 3/8" of black space with the screen set to 1080x1080.  If you use Sketchup I can give you the model I have.  It has the screen image modeled in there so I could judge how to position everything.

Thats 9.375" on top and 9.375" on the bottom to be clear.

Gilrock

• Offline Offline
« Reply #20 on: September 25, 2014, 10:33:51 am »
Well I wasted most of my time yesterday messing around with software.  One thing I was trying to do is create a custom resolution for the marquee monitor because I thought the images look too tall in relation to the main screen.  The native resolution is 2560x1080.  I tried making a 2560x840 and 2560x600 resolution and it looked fine for about 10 seconds then the screen would disappear so I kept hitting No to revert to the original settings during the test.  I'm not sure what's going on with that.

Then I think I did too many changes at once.  The other day I had updated all my roms and mame extra files so copied those over to my live directories and I tried to copy in the files and change the mame.ini to turn on HLSL which I had never messed with before.  I ended up with the screen going black whenever I entered a MAME game.  I spent at least an hour trying to reverse everything I had changed until it dawned on me I had done one other thing but no it couldn't be that.  I had plugged in the USB connectors for the trackball and the spinner.  So I unplugged them and re-launched Hyperspin and now everything was running fine again.  Geez just one more issue to solve.

I really love the building aspect of this much more than figuring out all the software.  You go away for a year and everything changes.  There are so many Hyper programs now I now have no ideas which ones work together and which ones are a replacement for the others.  I'm Hyperconfused.  Luckily I somehow got the EDS and HyperMarquee working.  I don't have the HyperLaunch3 stuff installed and I'm not sure why I would need it.  I downloaded it but it wasn't clear whether it goes into the same directory as Hyperspin or its own directory.  I feel like just writing my program and have it do everything.

Gilrock

• Offline Offline
« Reply #21 on: September 25, 2014, 09:43:00 pm »
Here's a link to my Sketchup Model if anyone wants to use it as a starting point:
http://www.threebuttes.com/Extras/mame/MameCab.skp

I don't have everything complete because I mainly use the model just to get started by positioning the main items and then flesh out the details as I'm building.

Rabidgamer

• Offline Offline
  • Another bartop noob
« Reply #22 on: September 26, 2014, 01:44:43 pm »
Looking good so far.

Hyperspin also gave me a hyperheadache so I haven't really setup my frontend yet.
I've just been playing through Injustice even though my bartop is without a marquee and bezel,etc. Once your cab is playable it's hard to do finishing touches.

dkersten

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 12, 2024, 11:47:30 am
  • If you are gonna do it, do it right..
« Reply #23 on: September 26, 2014, 04:17:21 pm »
I was just thinking the other day that I will go ahead and do a cab with a 48" tv turned vertically so I can maximize both height and width, and just sell my 4 player cab, and here you are doing one..  :cheers:  I was going to maybe start on it this weekend, but maybe I will wait a little to see how things turn out here.  What is the height and width of the 50" at 1080x1080?  I liked the design of this cab when I first saw Maximus' setup a few months back, just because the sides can be removed independently without the frame coming apart.  But I also like curvier designs, and the frame idea just doesn't work for that very well, so I will probably stick to the "box" as a frame.. 

Gives me a lot to think about.. I look forward to how things go here.  Great job so far!

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #24 on: September 26, 2014, 04:40:14 pm »
I was just thinking the other day that I will go ahead and do a cab with a 48" tv turned vertically so I can maximize both height and width, and just sell my 4 player cab, and here you are doing one..  :cheers:  I was going to maybe start on it this weekend, but maybe I will wait a little to see how things turn out here.  What is the height and width of the 50" at 1080x1080?  I liked the design of this cab when I first saw Maximus' setup a few months back, just because the sides can be removed independently without the frame coming apart.  But I also like curvier designs, and the frame idea just doesn't work for that very well, so I will probably stick to the "box" as a frame.. 

Gives me a lot to think about.. I look forward to how things go here.  Great job so far!

I don't think you need to go boxy. Griff did that so he could use the same sides. I'm sure you of all people could rig something that would allow for curves.

dkersten

• Offline Offline
« Reply #25 on: September 26, 2014, 04:57:58 pm »
I mean the sides and front and cross braces (ie the "box") will be the frame, instead of building a frame like this, just because I like curves, and it is easier to do a lot of curves without a frame to try to curve around..  :)

I am considering some ideas for making something sexy, I am just not sure which direction I want to go...

Gilrock

• Offline Offline
« Reply #26 on: September 26, 2014, 05:42:37 pm »
What is the height and width of the 50" at 1080x1080?

The 1080x1080 image is about 24.25" width and height.

tkropp17

• Offline Offline
« Reply #27 on: October 03, 2014, 09:20:11 am »
Any ideas what the dimensions would be if you played a widescreen game within these dimensions? I've been debating on this setup for my cab, but I really like mixing in a few games like MK9. Think it would be equivalent to a 32" widescreen or something similar (that's what I'm personally using now)?

Thanks!

Gilrock

• Offline Offline
« Reply #28 on: October 03, 2014, 10:43:39 am »
Any ideas what the dimensions would be if you played a widescreen game within these dimensions? I've been debating on this setup for my cab, but I really like mixing in a few games like MK9. Think it would be equivalent to a 32" widescreen or something similar (that's what I'm personally using now)?

Thanks!

I can double check at home because I have a 32" TV I had originally bought to use for a showcase style until I saw this type of layout and changed my mind.  I remember measuring the 32" TV and thought I determined I wasn't losing anything width wise.  I love to play Robotron which is landscape and it looks huge on this setup.

I've been quiet lately but I have been working on the control panel artwork.  It's close to finished except for deciding what additional buttons I want.

tkropp17

• Offline Offline
« Reply #29 on: October 03, 2014, 10:48:08 am »
That would be awesome. I'm really curious if it equivalent. That would be a perfect setup! Look forward to seeing your progress as well!

Cobolisdead

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 04, 2017, 08:35:11 am
  • Restoring my 8th arcade machine, Mortal Kombat 2!
« Reply #30 on: October 03, 2014, 11:13:47 am »
I am just loving this setup man!  :applaud: That Marquee makes me a little jealous!  :cheers:

Gilrock

• Offline Offline
« Reply #31 on: October 05, 2014, 08:05:31 pm »
So I measured the TV's I have and the 32" is wider.  It was about 27 5/8" while the 50 inch is about 24 3/8" turned sideways.  It still seems plenty big to me so I'm happy with it.  And when you play anything that is portrait its going to be so much taller than the 32" unless you design one that rotates.

Gilrock

• Offline Offline
« Reply #32 on: October 09, 2014, 09:55:53 am »
So I've been trying to decide on my control panel layout.  I've got the other control panel I had bought a couple years ago but I'm wanting to build something different.   I've ordered 2 servo sticks, a trackball, a spinner, and a bunch of buttons. 

I currently plan on having 7 buttons near each joystick but to be honest I can't remember playing a game in a long time that needed more than 3 buttons but I'd rather not find out later I wanted them so I was going with 7 since I've seen that on other panels.

I was thinking one button on each side of the trackball like I've seen others do.

I'm really not sure how I want buttons near the spinner to be arranged or how many I need for it.  I mainly only remember playing Tempest and I'm having trouble remembering which hand I used to like to use for the spinner.

Since I already have a pinball cab I'm thinking I don't need any side flipper buttons.

Lastly I need to figure out which admin buttons I need.  I assume a player 1 and player 2 start button.  I see a lot of people have a coin button for each player.  I've mainly only played single player so I'm not sure why you need a player 2 coin button.  Is that a way for player 2 to signal they want to continue?  I didn't think the game cared where the coins came from so I was wondering if one coin button is sufficient but I might do 2 anyways for symmetry.  Then maybe exit and pause.  When I look at other panels I can't tell what button people are normally using as the selection button which is typically mapped to the Enter key like if you scroll to a Mame game you want to play you normally hit Enter on the keyboard to select it.

Then I drive myself crazy thinking of other games like how would I use this button layout to play asteroids.  Seems like I'd end up using the joystick to rotate right and left.  Next thing I'll end up with as many buttons as the panel I have which to me seems crazy overloaded with buttons.

dkersten

• Offline Offline
« Reply #33 on: October 09, 2014, 10:25:13 am »
Most fighter games require 5 or 6 buttons per player, but otherwise very few games require more than 3.  Defender is 5. 
Some people go 7 buttons, with 4 on the first row, and on Neo Geo games they change the layout in mame so the first row is 1-4 instead of 1-3+7.  It would look like this:
1 2 3 7
4 5 6
Another layout option is to go like this:
 1 2 3
4 5 6
That way you get 2 rows of 3 for fighters, or a 4 way "d-pad" type option.  Plus button 7 can be your shift for admin controls.

For admin buttons, the start buttons are key.  You can get coin buttons with shift commands if you really want to keep it minimal, but I personally don't like too many shift functions because guests never know what to push.  Coin 2 is required on some games to play the player 2.  If you have only a coin 1, then making something like player 2 start a shift button will allow you to make a coin 2.  But you will want an exit button too, and if you only have one coin button and 2 start buttons, exit would probably have to be the p2 + p1 start to trigger, but that can cause problems on 2 player games if you both hit start at the same time.  You can use player buttons with the shift as well, but again, it is too easy during frantic gameplay to end up hitting your shift button and a player button and inadvertently triggering an admin function. 

I would recommend dedicated coin buttons, but you can hide them under or on the sides or something if you don't want them on the CP.  I would also recommend 1 or 2 admin buttons (exit and pause are good ones to have).  I would also suggest two buttons near the trackball as mouse buttons too, but if you lay things out well, you can just use the P1 or P2 buttons to play with the trackball, depending on if you are right or left handed.  Mouse buttons aren't critical, but wow they come in handy when something needs adjustment or something fails to go well (or if you spend any time working on your FE at the cabinet)

Look at slagcoin.com for button spacing and layouts, print out one you like and set it on a surface at the height you plan to put your CP, stand in front of it and lay your hand on it.. if the buttons line up with your hand well, then go with it.. if not, you might want to make adjustments to prevent fatigue. 

Gilrock

• Offline Offline
« Reply #34 on: October 09, 2014, 11:00:54 am »
Thanks for all those suggestions.  For working on the FE or any other computer stuff that needs to be done I usually like to use a wireless keyboard that has a mousepad built in.  Yeah for the button spacing I was starting with the control panel artwork file I found provided in the Grounds 4 Divorce thread which is close to the layout on the Marvel vs Capcom cabinet.  I'll probably cutout some plywood to mockup the panel first.  Someday I might make another panel that is single player oriented.  On the two player layouts I always feel like I'm staring at the left edge of the monitor when using the player 1 joystick and buttons.

Soon I'll be able to show my preliminary artwork for the control panel.  I struggled a lot with what type of theme I wanted.  I was looking at Street Fighter characters or having a collage of characters from various video games.  I also had toyed with the idea of using Dragons Lair / Space Ace artwork since I was a big fan of those games.  But one day I stumbled on an image that I liked for a background on my control panel and it was something I've always been passionate about which is Lord of the Rings.  So I still don't have a cabinet name but its going to have somewhat of a Middle Earth theme.  The image isn't anything from the official movies it looks more like a fan art image with Gandalf on a white horse on one side facing Sauron on a black horse on the other side.  I was trying to track down the author of the image but haven't been successful at that yet.  I've got the One Ring inscription surrounding the trackball...took me about 3.5 hours to create all the vectors for that inscription.  If you've ever seen the movie titles I followed a tutorial and learned how to recreate them in Photoshop.  So remember the title for The Return of the King that has "Lord of the RingS" with a small "The" above "Lord" and smaller lettering for "The Return of the King" centered underneath.  Well I've got a similar logo but mine says "Lord of the ArcadeS" and has "The Return of the Arcade Classics" below it.

And for the side art I've got these two dragon images I really liked...a white dragon for one side and a red dragon for the other.  I was initially searching for dragon images when I was thinking of the Dragon's Lair theme when I found this image I liked.  I saw a web link in the image so I tracked down the author that turned out to have a website that sells the image files.  The initial image had both dragons in one image but she ended up having each dragon available in its own image file so that when I got the idea to use one on each side.  She was only offering 72 dpi images images but I really wanted 300 dpi so I ended up talking her into letting me have 300 dpi image files but it cost me $100 per image so I'm kinda committed to using these image now.  My only issue is when I stretch them out on the side it cuts off quite a bit of the dragons wing on one side so I may either be trying to change the side panel or I'll use the images on the lower half of each side and another image above it and have it look like the images are showing through some type of windowed border.  I hope to show my ideas soon.

Gilrock

• Offline Offline
« Reply #35 on: October 09, 2014, 08:35:01 pm »
My first cut at the control panel artwork and button layout.  The buttons at the top right would be exit and pause and I'd put the 4 buttons for player 1 and 2 start and coin underneath a lip on the front edge of the control panel.

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #36 on: October 09, 2014, 08:39:50 pm »
If you're going to go with admin buttons (and I wouldn't, but that's me) and you plan to put them were you have them, do PAUSE, then EXIT. It would suck to reach to pause but accidentally hit exit because it's closer.

Gilrock

• Offline Offline
« Reply #37 on: October 09, 2014, 08:48:27 pm »
If you're going to go with admin buttons (and I wouldn't, but that's me) and you plan to put them were you have them, do PAUSE, then EXIT. It would suck to reach to pause but accidentally hit exit because it's closer.

Well I've never actually used Pause before so I could do without that...that feels right since you couldn't pause the real games.  I'd still need a nice way to exit so maybe that could be the P1 + P2 like dkersten suggested.

Gilrock

• Offline Offline
« Reply #38 on: October 09, 2014, 08:50:35 pm »
The only other thing bugging me about this layout is how I will play Asteroids since that was one of my favorites.  I'm itching to add 3 button somewhere to the right of the spinner and then use the 2 to the left for the rotate buttons.

Cobolisdead

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 04, 2017, 08:35:11 am
  • Restoring my 8th arcade machine, Mortal Kombat 2!
« Reply #39 on: October 10, 2014, 09:24:43 am »
I love that control panel artwork man! However, it looks like the spinner isn't to scale.

Quick question, what size monitor did you go with for the Marquee? Is it the 29" or the 34"? Thanks!