Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Gil's No Name Mame Cabinet  (Read 48407 times)

Gilrock

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 30, 2024, 05:15:46 pm
Gil's No Name Mame Cabinet
« on: September 18, 2014, 10:16:07 am »
Hi I'm new to the forum so first couple paragraphs is just a little background.  Just discovered it a week ago as I was planning to build my Mame cabinet.  I still own a small Mame cab I bought around 1998 from a company called Hanaho games.  The machine was set aside for several years and when I moved into a new house and got it back up and running I looked into updating everything to the latest Mame and that's when I discovered Hyperspin.  I realized I wanted a new PC so I got a new one and installed everything.  I started wanting a bigger screen so I began planning something new.  I bought a 32" TV and I ordered a pre-made controller from mameroom.com and the plan was to have a showcase style setup where I was going to build a pedestal for the controller and mount the TV to a bracket on the wall and maybe build a housing around it for speakers.  It was about that time I stumbled on the Hyperpin stuff over at Hyperspin and it diverted all my attention to the point where I began a virtual pinball build.  So that machine is complete and I've now refocused back on building a Mame cabinet.

In the virtual pinball forums I noticed a guy with a mame cab in his signature called Grounds 4 Divorce so I read his thread where I discovered a link to a video of the Marvel vs. Capcom Revolution machine by griffindodd.  So I really liked both of their machines and I was already planning in my head how I was going to do a rotating screen and all that.  So I was searching for griffindodd's build thread and discovered this forum where I found that he was now going by the name Maximus.  Luckily I didn't start building anything yet because one day I noticed he had a version 2 thread where he had dismantled his cabinet and installed a 51" plasma and a marquee monitor.  It took me like 10 seconds to decide that was my new plan so I could ditch the rotating monitor idea.

So I spent the last couple days designing the frame of the cabinet in Sketchup.  I've already bought a 50" LED TV because the plasma's in Best Buy just looked terrible.  I also ordered a 21:9 Dell Ultrasharp for the marquee which should arrive today.  I really have no clue what type of artwork or name I might want to give this cabinet so I'm just gonna build it and hope I think of something later.  Also now that I know how to build my own cabinet I don't really want the control panel I paid $700 for two years ago.  So I'm trying to decide if I might be able to sell it for pennies on the dollar or just rip it open and salvage parts from it.  The problem is now I'd like to have lighted buttons and trackball so it's turning out to not be much I can reuse from that panel.  I plan to use the panel just to run thing until I design a build a new control panel.

These photos show my design so far in Sketchup.

This photo is a screenshot of the control panel design from the mameroom website.  It ended up they didn't have the marble colored trackball so mine ended up being a white one.  I'm still upset they didn't refund me the cost of the trackball upgrade.  I'm going to ditch this and design my own.

This photo shows my virtual pinball cabinet but this was taken before it was completed.  I've since installed the side art on the back cabinet and installed an LED DMD between the speakers.  You can see my old Hanaho games cabinet on the left and the corner of my real Time Warp pinball machine on the right.

yotsuya

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 12:03:57 am
  • 2014 UCA Winner, 2014, 2015, 2016 ZapCon Winner
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,137636.msg1420628.html
Re: Gil's No Name Mame Cabinet
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2014, 10:35:35 am »
You paid for an upgraded trackball and they didn't give it to you? Did you complain?
***Build what you dig, bro. Build what you dig.***

Gilrock

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2014, 11:00:11 am »
You paid for an upgraded trackball and they didn't give it to you? Did you complain?

Yeah that was well over a year ago maybe two.  My whole order didn't go well.  I waited several weeks and when I finally thought it was taking too long I called and found out they didn't have my order in their system.  I said well I've got a credit card charge for my order so they actually had me email them the photo I posted above so they would know what to build.  Then they emailed and said they could no longer get the marble colored trackball.  In my reply I reminded them that I had paid extra for that marble trackball upgrade.  I'm pretty sure the controller showed up and I never heard from them and I didn't make an issue out of it.

But now I really don't like the controller layout.  When I use the left joystick as player one it feels like my hand is too close to the edge and I feel like I'm positioned too far left.  It also seems like too many buttons.  When I use the trackball I'd be happy to use 3 buttons from the player 1 area on the left instead of having the 3 dedicated buttons.  And I don't feel like I need the dedicated 4 way stick at the top.  So I want to design and build my own layout now.  I had just gone with the default layout they were selling at the time.  I have a new CNC router so I'm itching to cutout my own panel on it.

Rabidgamer

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 02, 2019, 11:17:25 am
  • Another bartop noob
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2014, 11:03:14 am »
I believe his biggest problems were custom resolutions and aligning that custom resolution on the screen.
I would do some of those custom resolution and alignment tests on your screen before you mount this TV you bought. (or base any measurements on it)
Also, the reason he used plasma was so that blacks/contrast made the bezels look more real. I hope your LED TV has good contrast.

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2014, 11:04:21 am »

Yeah that was well over a year ago maybe two.  My whole order didn't go well.  I waited several weeks and when I finally thought it was taking too long I called and found out they didn't have my order in their system.  I said well I've got a credit card charge for my order so they actually had me email them the photo I posted above so they would know what to build.  Then they emailed and said they could no longer get the marble colored trackball.  In my reply I reminded them that I had paid extra for that marble trackball upgrade.  I'm pretty sure the controller showed up and I never heard from them and I didn't make an issue out of it.

But now I really don't like the controller layout.  When I use the left joystick as player one it feels like my hand is too close to the edge and I feel like I'm positioned too far left.  It also seems like too many buttons.  When I use the trackball I'd be happy to use 3 buttons from the player 1 area on the left instead of having the 3 dedicated buttons.  And I don't feel like I need the dedicated 4 way stick at the top.  So I want to design and build my own layout now.  I had just gone with the default layout they were selling at the time.  I have a new CNC router so I'm itching to cutout my own panel on it.

I like you, Gilrock. Welcome to the club. New members get their smoking jackets after 1000 posts.  :cheers:

Gilrock

• Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2014, 11:19:35 am »
I believe his biggest problems were custom resolutions and aligning that custom resolution on the screen.
I would do some of those custom resolution and alignment tests on your screen before you mount this TV you bought. (or base any measurements on it)
Also, the reason he used plasma was so that blacks/contrast made the bezels look more real. I hope your LED TV has good contrast.

Yeah I've already got the system up and running and I'm happy with the images.  The TV is lying against the wall with the PC sitting to the side and the controller lying on the floor in front of it.  It took me awhile to figure out how to get the 1080x1080 resolution working but I finally found the setting the kept nVidia from trying to stretch the image across the screen.  So I've got the 1080x1080 image centered on the screen and I measured its size which I used to size and position the donkey kong image you see in Sketchup so my image should come out where you see it in the model.

Rabidgamer

• Offline Offline
  • Another bartop noob
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2014, 11:25:09 am »
Yeah I've already got the system up and running and I'm happy with the images.  The TV is lying against the wall with the PC sitting to the side and the controller lying on the floor in front of it.  It took me awhile to figure out how to get the 1080x1080 resolution working but I finally found the setting the kept nVidia from trying to stretch the image across the screen.  So I've got the 1080x1080 image centered on the screen and I measured its size which I used to size and position the donkey kong image you see in Sketchup so my image should come out where you see it in the model.

:cheers:

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2014, 11:34:42 am »
I'm glad you're designing the marquee AROUND that monitor and not simply tacking it on. That makes all the difference in the world visually.  :cheers:

DGP

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 29, 2019, 05:25:09 pm
  • Gamer4Life
    • My Toys...
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2014, 08:13:09 pm »
How much are you looking to get from the CP that you are not going to use?

My autistic son would love that for his room.

Thanks,
Jason
Multi-Cade x2 (full size and bar top) / 3 screen Virtual Pin

tkropp17

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 02, 2017, 01:52:18 pm
  • Can't figure out how to change my username
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2014, 09:57:30 pm »
Subscribed  :cheers:

Gilrock

• Offline Offline
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2014, 03:41:08 pm »
Starting actually building on Friday.  Got the side frames built in a couple of hours.  I followed the design idea from Maximus to build a frame first and then close it in later.  I also took his idea of using the pocket hole jig.  I'd never used one before and I love that thing.  I was surprised how strong the joints end up.  In the photo below I turned one side so you can see all the pockets and the other side shows how clean it looks even though it will be covered up in the end.

Here's a pic of the Kreg jig I bought.  I liked it because I could clamp a board in place and drill both holes at the same time.  It made the work go really quick.  The boards in this photo are all the middle pieces I'll use to join the two side frames together.

Gilrock

• Offline Offline
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2014, 08:27:22 pm »
More progress photos:

Used two boards to create a spot for the edge of the TV to rest:

View of the sides put together:

Clamped a board on the front so that I could push against the TV on the back to align the front edge of the TV to the angled side boards:

Pushed a board up against the back of the TV and locked it in place with screws:

The marquee monitor is mounted and I hooked up the PC to test everything out:

A closer view:

Malenko

• KNEEL BEFORE ZODlenko!
  • Trade Count: (+58)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 09, 2024, 07:27:18 pm
  • Have you played with my GingerBalls?
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,142404.msg1475162.html
« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2014, 08:30:09 pm »
How much was that marquee monitor?

Loving the build so far  :cheers:
If you're replying to a troll you are part of the problem.
I also need to follow this advice. Ignore or report, don't reply.

Gilrock

• Offline Offline
« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2014, 12:00:10 am »
How much was that marquee monitor?

Loving the build so far  :cheers:

Almost $500 so don't tell my wife. :)

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2014, 12:08:58 am »

Malenko

• KNEEL BEFORE ZODlenko!
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #15 on: September 24, 2014, 07:50:38 am »
Well, it looks fantastic but I couldnt justify the cost for myself. James can stay peanut butter, cause Im jelly.

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #16 on: September 24, 2014, 12:28:18 pm »
Well, it looks fantastic but I couldnt justify the cost for myself. James can stay peanut butter, cause Im jelly.

Yeah, same here. I've done full builds for around that much.  :cheers:

So don't worry, we won't tell the wife.  :cheers:

Gilrock

• Offline Offline
« Reply #17 on: September 24, 2014, 12:52:42 pm »
Yeah well I do usually go bigger than average when I jump into something.  My wife said she wanted to decorate the house for xmas a few years ago and now I have a lightshow synchronized to music that I broadcast on an FM frequency for cars that drive by.  Here's a video of one of the songs:

tkropp17

• Offline Offline
« Reply #18 on: September 24, 2014, 08:52:01 pm »
Do you happen to have a measurement of how much black space is above and below the viewable image?

Gilrock

• Offline Offline
« Reply #19 on: September 24, 2014, 10:40:32 pm »
I just measured 9 3/8" of black space with the screen set to 1080x1080.  If you use Sketchup I can give you the model I have.  It has the screen image modeled in there so I could judge how to position everything.

Thats 9.375" on top and 9.375" on the bottom to be clear.

Gilrock

• Offline Offline
« Reply #20 on: September 25, 2014, 10:33:51 am »
Well I wasted most of my time yesterday messing around with software.  One thing I was trying to do is create a custom resolution for the marquee monitor because I thought the images look too tall in relation to the main screen.  The native resolution is 2560x1080.  I tried making a 2560x840 and 2560x600 resolution and it looked fine for about 10 seconds then the screen would disappear so I kept hitting No to revert to the original settings during the test.  I'm not sure what's going on with that.

Then I think I did too many changes at once.  The other day I had updated all my roms and mame extra files so copied those over to my live directories and I tried to copy in the files and change the mame.ini to turn on HLSL which I had never messed with before.  I ended up with the screen going black whenever I entered a MAME game.  I spent at least an hour trying to reverse everything I had changed until it dawned on me I had done one other thing but no it couldn't be that.  I had plugged in the USB connectors for the trackball and the spinner.  So I unplugged them and re-launched Hyperspin and now everything was running fine again.  Geez just one more issue to solve.

I really love the building aspect of this much more than figuring out all the software.  You go away for a year and everything changes.  There are so many Hyper programs now I now have no ideas which ones work together and which ones are a replacement for the others.  I'm Hyperconfused.  Luckily I somehow got the EDS and HyperMarquee working.  I don't have the HyperLaunch3 stuff installed and I'm not sure why I would need it.  I downloaded it but it wasn't clear whether it goes into the same directory as Hyperspin or its own directory.  I feel like just writing my program and have it do everything.

Gilrock

• Offline Offline
« Reply #21 on: September 25, 2014, 09:43:00 pm »
Here's a link to my Sketchup Model if anyone wants to use it as a starting point:
http://www.threebuttes.com/Extras/mame/MameCab.skp

I don't have everything complete because I mainly use the model just to get started by positioning the main items and then flesh out the details as I'm building.

Rabidgamer

• Offline Offline
  • Another bartop noob
« Reply #22 on: September 26, 2014, 01:44:43 pm »
Looking good so far.

Hyperspin also gave me a hyperheadache so I haven't really setup my frontend yet.
I've just been playing through Injustice even though my bartop is without a marquee and bezel,etc. Once your cab is playable it's hard to do finishing touches.

dkersten

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 12, 2024, 11:47:30 am
  • If you are gonna do it, do it right..
« Reply #23 on: September 26, 2014, 04:17:21 pm »
I was just thinking the other day that I will go ahead and do a cab with a 48" tv turned vertically so I can maximize both height and width, and just sell my 4 player cab, and here you are doing one..  :cheers:  I was going to maybe start on it this weekend, but maybe I will wait a little to see how things turn out here.  What is the height and width of the 50" at 1080x1080?  I liked the design of this cab when I first saw Maximus' setup a few months back, just because the sides can be removed independently without the frame coming apart.  But I also like curvier designs, and the frame idea just doesn't work for that very well, so I will probably stick to the "box" as a frame.. 

Gives me a lot to think about.. I look forward to how things go here.  Great job so far!

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #24 on: September 26, 2014, 04:40:14 pm »
I was just thinking the other day that I will go ahead and do a cab with a 48" tv turned vertically so I can maximize both height and width, and just sell my 4 player cab, and here you are doing one..  :cheers:  I was going to maybe start on it this weekend, but maybe I will wait a little to see how things turn out here.  What is the height and width of the 50" at 1080x1080?  I liked the design of this cab when I first saw Maximus' setup a few months back, just because the sides can be removed independently without the frame coming apart.  But I also like curvier designs, and the frame idea just doesn't work for that very well, so I will probably stick to the "box" as a frame.. 

Gives me a lot to think about.. I look forward to how things go here.  Great job so far!

I don't think you need to go boxy. Griff did that so he could use the same sides. I'm sure you of all people could rig something that would allow for curves.

dkersten

• Offline Offline
« Reply #25 on: September 26, 2014, 04:57:58 pm »
I mean the sides and front and cross braces (ie the "box") will be the frame, instead of building a frame like this, just because I like curves, and it is easier to do a lot of curves without a frame to try to curve around..  :)

I am considering some ideas for making something sexy, I am just not sure which direction I want to go...

Gilrock

• Offline Offline
« Reply #26 on: September 26, 2014, 05:42:37 pm »
What is the height and width of the 50" at 1080x1080?

The 1080x1080 image is about 24.25" width and height.

tkropp17

• Offline Offline
« Reply #27 on: October 03, 2014, 09:20:11 am »
Any ideas what the dimensions would be if you played a widescreen game within these dimensions? I've been debating on this setup for my cab, but I really like mixing in a few games like MK9. Think it would be equivalent to a 32" widescreen or something similar (that's what I'm personally using now)?

Thanks!

Gilrock

• Offline Offline
« Reply #28 on: October 03, 2014, 10:43:39 am »
Any ideas what the dimensions would be if you played a widescreen game within these dimensions? I've been debating on this setup for my cab, but I really like mixing in a few games like MK9. Think it would be equivalent to a 32" widescreen or something similar (that's what I'm personally using now)?

Thanks!

I can double check at home because I have a 32" TV I had originally bought to use for a showcase style until I saw this type of layout and changed my mind.  I remember measuring the 32" TV and thought I determined I wasn't losing anything width wise.  I love to play Robotron which is landscape and it looks huge on this setup.

I've been quiet lately but I have been working on the control panel artwork.  It's close to finished except for deciding what additional buttons I want.

tkropp17

• Offline Offline
« Reply #29 on: October 03, 2014, 10:48:08 am »
That would be awesome. I'm really curious if it equivalent. That would be a perfect setup! Look forward to seeing your progress as well!

Cobolisdead

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 04, 2017, 08:35:11 am
  • Restoring my 8th arcade machine, Mortal Kombat 2!
« Reply #30 on: October 03, 2014, 11:13:47 am »
I am just loving this setup man!  :applaud: That Marquee makes me a little jealous!  :cheers:

Gilrock

• Offline Offline
« Reply #31 on: October 05, 2014, 08:05:31 pm »
So I measured the TV's I have and the 32" is wider.  It was about 27 5/8" while the 50 inch is about 24 3/8" turned sideways.  It still seems plenty big to me so I'm happy with it.  And when you play anything that is portrait its going to be so much taller than the 32" unless you design one that rotates.

Gilrock

• Offline Offline
« Reply #32 on: October 09, 2014, 09:55:53 am »
So I've been trying to decide on my control panel layout.  I've got the other control panel I had bought a couple years ago but I'm wanting to build something different.   I've ordered 2 servo sticks, a trackball, a spinner, and a bunch of buttons. 

I currently plan on having 7 buttons near each joystick but to be honest I can't remember playing a game in a long time that needed more than 3 buttons but I'd rather not find out later I wanted them so I was going with 7 since I've seen that on other panels.

I was thinking one button on each side of the trackball like I've seen others do.

I'm really not sure how I want buttons near the spinner to be arranged or how many I need for it.  I mainly only remember playing Tempest and I'm having trouble remembering which hand I used to like to use for the spinner.

Since I already have a pinball cab I'm thinking I don't need any side flipper buttons.

Lastly I need to figure out which admin buttons I need.  I assume a player 1 and player 2 start button.  I see a lot of people have a coin button for each player.  I've mainly only played single player so I'm not sure why you need a player 2 coin button.  Is that a way for player 2 to signal they want to continue?  I didn't think the game cared where the coins came from so I was wondering if one coin button is sufficient but I might do 2 anyways for symmetry.  Then maybe exit and pause.  When I look at other panels I can't tell what button people are normally using as the selection button which is typically mapped to the Enter key like if you scroll to a Mame game you want to play you normally hit Enter on the keyboard to select it.

Then I drive myself crazy thinking of other games like how would I use this button layout to play asteroids.  Seems like I'd end up using the joystick to rotate right and left.  Next thing I'll end up with as many buttons as the panel I have which to me seems crazy overloaded with buttons.

dkersten

• Offline Offline
« Reply #33 on: October 09, 2014, 10:25:13 am »
Most fighter games require 5 or 6 buttons per player, but otherwise very few games require more than 3.  Defender is 5. 
Some people go 7 buttons, with 4 on the first row, and on Neo Geo games they change the layout in mame so the first row is 1-4 instead of 1-3+7.  It would look like this:
1 2 3 7
4 5 6
Another layout option is to go like this:
 1 2 3
4 5 6
That way you get 2 rows of 3 for fighters, or a 4 way "d-pad" type option.  Plus button 7 can be your shift for admin controls.

For admin buttons, the start buttons are key.  You can get coin buttons with shift commands if you really want to keep it minimal, but I personally don't like too many shift functions because guests never know what to push.  Coin 2 is required on some games to play the player 2.  If you have only a coin 1, then making something like player 2 start a shift button will allow you to make a coin 2.  But you will want an exit button too, and if you only have one coin button and 2 start buttons, exit would probably have to be the p2 + p1 start to trigger, but that can cause problems on 2 player games if you both hit start at the same time.  You can use player buttons with the shift as well, but again, it is too easy during frantic gameplay to end up hitting your shift button and a player button and inadvertently triggering an admin function. 

I would recommend dedicated coin buttons, but you can hide them under or on the sides or something if you don't want them on the CP.  I would also recommend 1 or 2 admin buttons (exit and pause are good ones to have).  I would also suggest two buttons near the trackball as mouse buttons too, but if you lay things out well, you can just use the P1 or P2 buttons to play with the trackball, depending on if you are right or left handed.  Mouse buttons aren't critical, but wow they come in handy when something needs adjustment or something fails to go well (or if you spend any time working on your FE at the cabinet)

Look at slagcoin.com for button spacing and layouts, print out one you like and set it on a surface at the height you plan to put your CP, stand in front of it and lay your hand on it.. if the buttons line up with your hand well, then go with it.. if not, you might want to make adjustments to prevent fatigue. 

Gilrock

• Offline Offline
« Reply #34 on: October 09, 2014, 11:00:54 am »
Thanks for all those suggestions.  For working on the FE or any other computer stuff that needs to be done I usually like to use a wireless keyboard that has a mousepad built in.  Yeah for the button spacing I was starting with the control panel artwork file I found provided in the Grounds 4 Divorce thread which is close to the layout on the Marvel vs Capcom cabinet.  I'll probably cutout some plywood to mockup the panel first.  Someday I might make another panel that is single player oriented.  On the two player layouts I always feel like I'm staring at the left edge of the monitor when using the player 1 joystick and buttons.

Soon I'll be able to show my preliminary artwork for the control panel.  I struggled a lot with what type of theme I wanted.  I was looking at Street Fighter characters or having a collage of characters from various video games.  I also had toyed with the idea of using Dragons Lair / Space Ace artwork since I was a big fan of those games.  But one day I stumbled on an image that I liked for a background on my control panel and it was something I've always been passionate about which is Lord of the Rings.  So I still don't have a cabinet name but its going to have somewhat of a Middle Earth theme.  The image isn't anything from the official movies it looks more like a fan art image with Gandalf on a white horse on one side facing Sauron on a black horse on the other side.  I was trying to track down the author of the image but haven't been successful at that yet.  I've got the One Ring inscription surrounding the trackball...took me about 3.5 hours to create all the vectors for that inscription.  If you've ever seen the movie titles I followed a tutorial and learned how to recreate them in Photoshop.  So remember the title for The Return of the King that has "Lord of the RingS" with a small "The" above "Lord" and smaller lettering for "The Return of the King" centered underneath.  Well I've got a similar logo but mine says "Lord of the ArcadeS" and has "The Return of the Arcade Classics" below it.

And for the side art I've got these two dragon images I really liked...a white dragon for one side and a red dragon for the other.  I was initially searching for dragon images when I was thinking of the Dragon's Lair theme when I found this image I liked.  I saw a web link in the image so I tracked down the author that turned out to have a website that sells the image files.  The initial image had both dragons in one image but she ended up having each dragon available in its own image file so that when I got the idea to use one on each side.  She was only offering 72 dpi images images but I really wanted 300 dpi so I ended up talking her into letting me have 300 dpi image files but it cost me $100 per image so I'm kinda committed to using these image now.  My only issue is when I stretch them out on the side it cuts off quite a bit of the dragons wing on one side so I may either be trying to change the side panel or I'll use the images on the lower half of each side and another image above it and have it look like the images are showing through some type of windowed border.  I hope to show my ideas soon.

Gilrock

• Offline Offline
« Reply #35 on: October 09, 2014, 08:35:01 pm »
My first cut at the control panel artwork and button layout.  The buttons at the top right would be exit and pause and I'd put the 4 buttons for player 1 and 2 start and coin underneath a lip on the front edge of the control panel.

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #36 on: October 09, 2014, 08:39:50 pm »
If you're going to go with admin buttons (and I wouldn't, but that's me) and you plan to put them were you have them, do PAUSE, then EXIT. It would suck to reach to pause but accidentally hit exit because it's closer.

Gilrock

• Offline Offline
« Reply #37 on: October 09, 2014, 08:48:27 pm »
If you're going to go with admin buttons (and I wouldn't, but that's me) and you plan to put them were you have them, do PAUSE, then EXIT. It would suck to reach to pause but accidentally hit exit because it's closer.

Well I've never actually used Pause before so I could do without that...that feels right since you couldn't pause the real games.  I'd still need a nice way to exit so maybe that could be the P1 + P2 like dkersten suggested.

Gilrock

• Offline Offline
« Reply #38 on: October 09, 2014, 08:50:35 pm »
The only other thing bugging me about this layout is how I will play Asteroids since that was one of my favorites.  I'm itching to add 3 button somewhere to the right of the spinner and then use the 2 to the left for the rotate buttons.

Cobolisdead

• Offline Offline
« Reply #39 on: October 10, 2014, 09:24:43 am »
I love that control panel artwork man! However, it looks like the spinner isn't to scale.

Quick question, what size monitor did you go with for the Marquee? Is it the 29" or the 34"? Thanks!

nordemoniac

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 26, 2023, 02:41:28 am
  • Weee! Hahaha...
« Reply #40 on: October 10, 2014, 11:05:39 am »
Uhm, the artwork is kinda cool, although it looks like you're controlling the wizard's wang...
How about a half-transparent black overlay around the buttons and joystick? Just to gather them on each side.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2014, 11:08:01 am by nordemoniac »

Gilrock

• Offline Offline
« Reply #41 on: October 10, 2014, 05:46:54 pm »
I love that control panel artwork man! However, it looks like the spinner isn't to scale.

Quick question, what size monitor did you go with for the Marquee? Is it the 29" or the 34"? Thanks!

I got the 29" Dell Ultrasharp monitor that has the 21:9 ratio.  The spinner probably isn't to scale.  I just grabbed an image from goggle and scaled it manually to get an idea of how it would look.

Gilrock

• Offline Offline
« Reply #42 on: October 10, 2014, 05:48:05 pm »
Uhm, the artwork is kinda cool, although it looks like you're controlling the wizard's wang...
How about a half-transparent black overlay around the buttons and joystick? Just to gather them on each side.

You guys crack me up.  How many times has someone found a penis in artwork this week? LOL

Gilrock

• Offline Offline
« Reply #43 on: October 10, 2014, 05:50:31 pm »
To be honest I hadn't really been staring at the image like that.  This is version I was working with and then I hid the joystick arrows at the last minute cause it seemed to cover up too much of the image.  I also have a layer with borders around the buttons but I don't like it yet.  Maybe if I make it smaller it might make the cut.

Gilrock

• Offline Offline
« Reply #44 on: October 11, 2014, 02:44:28 pm »
This is the side art I have currently.  The artist for these images is Christina Yen from www.sixthleafclover.com

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #45 on: October 11, 2014, 03:00:12 pm »
Can you fix the aspect ratio on them? They look kind of squished. I know you want it to "fit" the shape of the cab, but I never think it looks good when people do it.

nordemoniac

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 26, 2023, 02:41:28 am
  • Weee! Hahaha...
« Reply #46 on: October 11, 2014, 05:31:47 pm »
To be honest I hadn't really been staring at the image like that.  This is version I was working with and then I hid the joystick arrows at the last minute cause it seemed to cover up too much of the image.  I also have a layer with borders around the buttons but I don't like it yet.  Maybe if I make it smaller it might make the cut.

If I were you, I wouldn't use arrows etc, it makes it messy, there's already so much going on in the background.
Try circular semi-transparent black as an overlay, and something surrounding the buttons for each player, and one for the top buttons. Just to make it "easier" to see the buttons.

Gilrock

• Offline Offline
« Reply #47 on: October 11, 2014, 08:17:14 pm »
Can you fix the aspect ratio on them? They look kind of squished. I know you want it to "fit" the shape of the cab, but I never think it looks good when people do it.

I didn't just fit the image to the cab.  I've already trimmed part of the image.  To maintain the original aspect ratio I would need to cutout about 50% of the image in the horizontal direction.  I'm trying to figure out what I can live with.  If I don't squeeze it at all I basically have dragons with no wings which I don't think looks good.

yamatetsu

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 01:17:57 am
  • Just because.
« Reply #48 on: October 11, 2014, 08:30:01 pm »
Perhaps you could take the logo from the CP and put that at the bottom of the sides, make it about a fourth or so of the side's height and put the dragons above it ? That way you wouldn't need to stretch them so much.

Cobolisdead

• Offline Offline
« Reply #49 on: October 11, 2014, 08:34:15 pm »
I was wondering how you fit a 50" in there with that narrow of a marquee. Is it a really thin bezel? I only ask because my 40" is 26" tall, and I was trying to figure out how that would work.

As for the artwork, The dragons don't really go with the LOTR style that you are using for the control panel, IMO, especially the blue one.  Maybe you could find something that matched the controller theme in style and content?

grippie

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 10, 2022, 03:07:35 pm
  • Genesis Does
    • Optimus Meatron
« Reply #50 on: October 11, 2014, 10:03:04 pm »

Love the ring detail around the trackball. nice touch. :applaud:

As for the artwork, The dragons don't really go with the LOTR style that you are using for the control panel, IMO, especially the blue one.  Maybe you could find something that matched the controller theme in style and content?

Yea I agree. The CPO looks awesome, but the side panels, even though they are cool dragons, aren't really LOTRish. I think putting the two towers, Isengard and Barad Dur on the sides would be cool. If you're going for good vs evil, then maybe the eye of sauron on one side and minas tirith on the other?

Gilrock

• Offline Offline
« Reply #51 on: October 13, 2014, 09:50:00 am »
I was wondering how you fit a 50" in there with that narrow of a marquee. Is it a really thin bezel? I only ask because my 40" is 26" tall, and I was trying to figure out how that would work.

I provided my Google Sketchup file so you could always install that free program and see exactly how my TV fits.

As far as the artwork I'm really not wanting it to look like images from the movies.  It's more of a LOTR influence.  I was trying to avoid using images that are copyrighted.  That's why the control panel is a fan art image and not real images from the movies.  I'm going to have to flip the control panel image or swap the side panels because the white dragon needs to be on the side of the white wizard since he summoned him to fight for the side of good.  Plus as I mentioned before I spent $200 for the rights to the dragon images so they are going to be on the cab one way or another.

I've actually got to start building a new pixel tree for my xmas display so I'll need to set this aside for a couple months.

Malenko

• KNEEL BEFORE ZODlenko!
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #52 on: October 14, 2014, 09:12:50 am »
http://www.tomwoodfantasyart.com/

Artist is a stand up guy and when asked about re-using his art for a one off, he seemed cool about it. Why dont you check out his site and ask him to use something if it tickles your fancy?

Gilrock

• Offline Offline
« Reply #53 on: October 15, 2014, 05:37:15 pm »
I got my box of controls in from Ultimarc.  I'm not sure I know how to properly mount the servo joysticks.  I thought they would normally be mounted from the bottom but that shaft looks so short it's got me wondering.  Anyone have pics of these mounted in your control panel?

dkersten

• Offline Offline
« Reply #54 on: October 16, 2014, 12:19:03 pm »
Here is a servostick mounted in 3/4" MDF with a 1/4" inset routed into it (effectively 1/2" undermount) with the original height shafts.  You can always get the longer shafts if you don't like the height.

Gilrock

• Offline Offline
« Reply #55 on: October 16, 2014, 12:29:25 pm »
Ok thanks for sharing the photo.  I think I'll try for 1/2" also and see how it feels.  Also it gives me an idea.  I have a metal lathe and was thinking it might be cool to machine some type of ball or bat topper out of brass to match the gold coloring on my control panel.

gbeef

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 22, 2018, 03:32:26 pm
    • arcadepix.com
« Reply #56 on: October 16, 2014, 12:41:14 pm »
CP looks good. the side art i would try and find something that match the overall concept better. The Red and blue don't match the CP. I would base your sideart on the CP instead of trying to get 3 separate looks for each piece. It will make your arcade look co-hesive.

My cabs
4 Player Arcade
X-men Arcade Remixed
My Pin Cab Attack of the PINZ cab
My Racing Cabinet Cab [URL=http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=

Gilrock

• Offline Offline
« Reply #57 on: October 16, 2014, 02:03:11 pm »
Yeah that same comment has been made about the side art and trust me I've had the same reservations before I even posted the images.  I'm not sure what I will end up doing.  Not being an artist I have to work with what I can get my hands on.  It's not easy to find images that will look good when you make them 6 feet tall.  I've got some ideas to try out when I get a chance.  I'll put the images on the cabinet in Sketchup so I can spin the cab around and see how everything looks when put together.

Cobolisdead

• Offline Offline
« Reply #58 on: October 16, 2014, 03:14:20 pm »
Don't think of it as a lost investment if you don't use them. You can always have them printed as posters and put them in the arcade/gaming room.

scubajoe

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 03, 2018, 09:30:56 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #59 on: October 29, 2014, 08:39:09 pm »
Gil thank you for inspiring me. Ever since I found referb 21:9 monitors on Newegg for under $250 I have been dieing to do a project with them. I have been racking my brain trying to get one to work with existing cabs but I really liked your disign so I am going to build another.That Kreg jig looked great and ordered one on amazon. A 21:9 next. now it will be a battle between the virtrual pinball cab and this one to see who gets done first.

scubajoe

• Offline Offline
« Reply #60 on: October 31, 2014, 04:11:35 pm »
Anyone looking to get into this project newegg has 21:9 referb monitors now as low as 199 and tirger direct has 48 in monitors for 299. I think this cab project has just leap frogged my hyperpin project.

Thank you again Gil for the insperation.

dkersten

• Offline Offline
« Reply #61 on: November 03, 2014, 10:58:42 am »
The Costco here has a 21:9 24" monitor for $209 right now, brand new.  Cant remember the brand though lol.. Looked good..

Gilrock

• Offline Offline
« Reply #62 on: November 03, 2014, 02:01:54 pm »
Gil thank you for inspiring me. Ever since I found referb 21:9 monitors on Newegg for under $250 I have been dieing to do a project with them. I have been racking my brain trying to get one to work with existing cabs but I really liked your disign so I am going to build another.That Kreg jig looked great and ordered one on amazon. A 21:9 next. now it will be a battle between the virtrual pinball cab and this one to see who gets done first.

Maybe it was just me but I couldn't get into this website for the last 3 days until just now.  Anways good luck with your project.  You'll probably beat me because I have a few things that have jumped ahead on the priority list.

scubajoe

• Offline Offline
« Reply #63 on: November 03, 2014, 07:44:13 pm »
It was just you but, I hope you check in to see my many questions of your thoughts as it goes along. My wife has already started to ask what the 48in and 39in TV are doing in the spare bedroom.

Gilrock

• Offline Offline
« Reply #64 on: November 04, 2014, 09:09:47 am »
There is definitely an intermittent issue with this website.  I've seen it from home and work computers now.  I was getting some type of proxy destination error just 30 minutes ago and then now I get in.

Locke141

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 20, 2024, 04:36:20 pm
  • Never grow up.
« Reply #65 on: November 04, 2014, 11:17:12 am »
Yeah well I do usually go bigger than average when I jump into something.  My wife said she wanted to decorate the house for xmas a few years ago and now I have a lightshow synchronized to music that I broadcast on an FM frequency for cars that drive by.  Here's a video of one of the songs:

That was amazing. Did you do a tsp by step on how you did that?

Gilrock

• Offline Offline
« Reply #66 on: November 04, 2014, 04:54:37 pm »

That was amazing. Did you do a tsp by step on how you did that?

No there's no instructions.  There are really tons of options you can do.  You can use standard lights or led pixels/strips and you use controller cards or boxes to control them.  If you're interested start looking at the products at lightorama.com and for the DIY pixel stuff goto auschristmaslighting.com and checkout the forums.  I used to use a PC but last year I converted to using a Raspberry Pi to control the whole show.  It sends E1.31 data over ethernet lines to all the controllers in the yard which is basically DMX over ethernet protocol.  The most time is sequencing the lights to the music.  It can take 3 to 8 hours to sequence one minute of a song.  If you're running single channel strands its pretty easy but when you get into pixels the channel count goes up exponential.  One pixel strip with 50 pixels is going to be 150 channels since each pixel has a red, green, and blue channel.  You have several software packages you can use:  Lightorama, Light Show Pro, XLights, and HLS to name a few.

tkropp17

• Offline Offline
« Reply #67 on: November 16, 2014, 10:44:03 pm »
Question on the setup with the TV. Since the resolution is 1080*1080, would this create more of a 4:4, rather than a 4:3? If so, would this make the screen look incorrect, as in too tall? I noticed Hyperspin looks a little vertically skewed, but I'm also used to a 16:9 screen and could be wrong. Best Buy has a black friday deal on a 50" TV and I'm teetering on what to do on the new build I'm starting. I'll either be sticking to my 32" or going to the 50" if it looks authentic.

Thanks!

Gilrock

• Offline Offline
« Reply #68 on: November 17, 2014, 08:14:49 am »
Question on the setup with the TV. Since the resolution is 1080*1080, would this create more of a 4:4, rather than a 4:3? If so, would this make the screen look incorrect, as in too tall? I noticed Hyperspin looks a little vertically skewed, but I'm also used to a 16:9 screen and could be wrong. Best Buy has a black friday deal on a 50" TV and I'm teetering on what to do on the new build I'm starting. I'll either be sticking to my 32" or going to the 50" if it looks authentic.

Thanks!

I think the screen looks fine.  I don't know what you are referring to when you say Hyperspin looks vertically skewed.  Are you referring to the Pacman image I showed earlier or something else.  I think the games look like the correct aspect ratio.  The best I can offer is look at my photos and also search for Maximus' Marvel vs Capcom: Revolution version 2 thread and see a bunch more screenshots and videos of the same aspect ratio.

tkropp17

• Offline Offline
« Reply #69 on: November 17, 2014, 10:34:42 am »

Thanks!

I think the screen looks fine.  I don't know what you are referring to when you say Hyperspin looks vertically skewed.  Are you referring to the Pacman image I showed earlier or something else.  I think the games look like the correct aspect ratio.  The best I can offer is look at my photos and also search for Maximus' Marvel vs Capcom: Revolution version 2 thread and see a bunch more screenshots and videos of the same aspect ratio.

Ya, sorry, I was referring to the MvC Rev 2 when thinking hyperspin looked weird and that may be because I am used to a 16:9 screen. I think the main thing I was unsure of is if the games are staying true to their 4:3 version because the resolution is is a perfect square as opposed to something like 640*480. I would think at 1080*1080, a game like pacman would look a little wider. Should the actual resolution be 1440*1080 for 4:3?

dkersten

• Offline Offline
« Reply #70 on: November 17, 2014, 10:40:24 am »
I believe the art files are square, and the game plays at 4:3 inside the art file, so the aspect ratio is right.  If you try to run the art files full screen on a 16:9 display, the total screen is square and the game is inside it at the right aspect ratio and you get some big black bars on the left and right.  If you set mame to chop the top and bottom off, the game still runs at the right ratio, and the artwork fills the sides of a 16:9.

tkropp17

• Offline Offline
« Reply #71 on: November 17, 2014, 10:45:55 am »
I believe the art files are square, and the game plays at 4:3 inside the art file, so the aspect ratio is right.  If you try to run the art files full screen on a 16:9 display, the total screen is square and the game is inside it at the right aspect ratio and you get some big black bars on the left and right.  If you set mame to chop the top and bottom off, the game still runs at the right ratio, and the artwork fills the sides of a 16:9.

Oh wow! I didn't realize that. I think that seals the deal on getting the 50" lol

http://blackfriday.bestbuy.com/

jick78

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 21, 2014, 05:26:09 pm
« Reply #72 on: November 21, 2014, 05:25:01 pm »
I'm really inspired to make a new cab now.  Can you show more pictures how you mounted the marquee monitor?  Did you take it out of the case?

Gilrock

• Offline Offline
« Reply #73 on: November 21, 2014, 08:52:29 pm »
I'm really inspired to make a new cab now.  Can you show more pictures how you mounted the marquee monitor?  Did you take it out of the case?

I'll try to remember to take some photos the next couple days.  I left the case on.  Basically I disassembled the stand that clamps into the back of the monitor and then mounted that piece of metal to a piece of wood (same type of wood used for the frame) and then I was able to snap the piece of wood right onto the monitor.  I used the Kreg jig to toenail two holes on each side of the piece of wood.  Then I had someone hold the monitor up in place and from the back side I screwed four screws into the holes which secured that piece of wood to each side frame.  There was one spot on the side of the frame that I had to cutout an indention so that the monitor would sit flush.  It's where the usb ports are on the side of the monitor.

Gilrock

• Offline Offline
« Reply #74 on: November 27, 2014, 10:59:45 am »
Ok I took some photos to help others that wanted to see how I mounted the monitors.  I had to disassemble the monitors from the frame to be able to take these photos.

This shows the two pieces of wood that form an angled lip for the main 50" monitor to rest on.  It's not easy to see but there is a small section of the wood cutout on the left because something on the TV interfered and the cutout is needed for it to sit flush:

To secure the main monitor I fashioned a piece of aluminum that attaches to the wood frame and I drilled holes so that I could use 2 M8 screws to attach the bar where the vesa holes are on the TV.  I may make a second bracket later for the lower holes but it held fairly secure with just one bracket:

For the top monitor I broke the mounting bracket apart from the original monitor stand and mounted it to a piece of wood using 6 screws:

I used another piece of wood as a spacer between the bracket and the board.  I really can't remember why I needed the spacer.  It either made it easier to mount the board or it made it so that the board was centered on the frame better when mounted:

Turn the board over and the bracket snaps right onto the monitor:

Due to the usb ports on the monitor the top left side of the frame needed a section cutout so the top monitor will sit flush:

Here's a view from the back showing the top monitor board screwed into place holding the monitor secure.  Once mounted you can't remove the top monitor by pushing the button to unsecure the bracket due to the fact that the top of the monitor cannot be tilted back to create the angle needed to release the monitor from the bracket.  I had to remove the screws from the mounting board to get access to the monitor for these photos:

tkropp17

• Offline Offline
« Reply #75 on: December 10, 2014, 11:24:24 pm »
Just curious if there was a reason you went with the 29" marquee instead of the 25" ultrawide monitor. It seems the 25" would be almost equal to the width of the TV. I just picked up a Sharp 50" and this might be my next step! :D

Gilrock

• Offline Offline
« Reply #76 on: December 10, 2014, 11:28:48 pm »
I didn't look into it that closely.  Maximus used a 29" and I thought it looked nice on his setup so I copied him.

scubajoe

• Offline Offline
« Reply #77 on: October 08, 2015, 03:48:39 pm »
Gil are you still out there?

Gilrock

• Offline Offline
« Reply #78 on: October 08, 2015, 04:25:34 pm »
Yes I haven't left the earth yet.

scubajoe

• Offline Offline
« Reply #79 on: October 08, 2015, 06:01:20 pm »
Thats good, did you ever finish the project? I have had all the monitors and such for a year now but havent had the time.

Gilrock

• Offline Offline
« Reply #80 on: October 08, 2015, 06:47:35 pm »
No it went on hold.  You can see my previous post was December 2014 about the time I started setting up my big Christmas light display.  Then I became one of the lead developers for the light control software I was using so I've been working on that software all year and helping hundreds of people learn to use the software and fix bugs.  I've also been building led display panels to use for this years display.

Gilrock

• Offline Offline
« Reply #81 on: May 31, 2018, 12:42:47 am »
Well it's been a long time but I'm carving out time to work on my cabinet.  I read the ideas here from before and created several new artwork options.  I like the towers except they are not really high resolution so I'm worried what they will look like printed full size.  I reworked the dragons after I learned to use Puppet Warp so that I could maintain the aspect ratio of the dragons and just warp the clouds above them.  I agree they don't fit the color scheme of the control panel I first came up with but they are like 6000x7500 pixel resolution each so they look great at full size.  Then I created more of a cartoony version with fan art and I'm kinda liking that look also cause it reminds me of some of the retro game art.

Gilrock

• Offline Offline
« Reply #82 on: May 31, 2018, 09:10:44 pm »
Another idea is to drop the whole lord of the rings theme and put the dragons on the side and the control panel.  I just love how sharp the images come out.
By the way I've noticed when I view my own images after posting on the forum the colors are nowhere near as rich as they look on my PC.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2018, 09:12:33 pm by Gilrock »

barrymossel

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 29, 2021, 11:25:52 am
  • Spectrum
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,157647.0.html
« Reply #83 on: June 01, 2018, 08:49:31 am »
I really like the image of Rivendell...

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 07:52:11 am
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #84 on: June 01, 2018, 09:17:50 am »
Leave the word arcade off of your artwork. Everybody knows what it is. What do you think of the ---meecrob--- running around with the giant "Corvette" sticker on their windshield? Same goes for an arcade machine.

My candycab came with a Marquee that says "Multicade". I took it out. I need to come up with a replacement.

Gilrock

• Offline Offline
« Reply #85 on: June 01, 2018, 09:42:07 am »
I really like the image of Rivendell...

Yes I liked that photo also just a couple issues.  I grabbed it from google so it looks terrible when viewed at the size you have to stretch to fit a cabinet and I'd be using copyrighted artwork which I guess maybe half everyone does anyway.  Its not really Rivendell though it was just an artist picture of a wizard castle.

Gilrock

• Offline Offline
« Reply #86 on: June 01, 2018, 09:43:40 am »
Leave the word arcade off of your artwork. Everybody knows what it is. What do you think of the ---meecrob--- running around with the giant "Corvette" sticker on their windshield? Same goes for an arcade machine.

My candycab came with a Marquee that says "Multicade". I took it out. I need to come up with a replacement.

I assume you mean the "arcade" in "The Return of the Arcade Classics".  My son gave me the same comment yesterday to drop that.  It wouldn't make sense to drop arcade from "Lord of the Arcades".  Anyways the way I'm leaning now would be the latest dragon control panel and sides so there would be no words anywhere.

javeryh

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 08:52:05 pm
« Reply #87 on: June 01, 2018, 10:10:47 am »
I think a LotR theme could be really cool but pulling pictures from the internet and slapping them on doesn't do it justice.  Especially "realistic" art.  Artwork is 90% of a good cab but you need to try and do something custom that looks like it was designed specifically for this project.  You could incorporate a map of Middle Earth.  You could have the elvish writing as labels.  Or the braided design they use, etc.  Here is an example:

This is obviously Lord of the Rings without printing "Lord of the Arcade" on the CP.   :dunno

Gilrock

• Offline Offline
« Reply #88 on: June 01, 2018, 10:52:46 am »
Yes I had that inscription running around the trackball if you look at some of the earlier posts and it's not from the internet I created the LoTR lettering myself in Photoshop.  Problem seems to be we all have differing opinions.  People say what I need to do and I rarely like the ideas.  When I was posting before I got to the point where I swore I just wasn't going to show my cab when I finished because nobody seemed to like the same things as me.

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #89 on: June 01, 2018, 10:57:45 am »
At this pace we will all be dead before you finish anyways. ;D

Go ahead and post pics. Some people will like it and some won't. Take advice you like and disregard the rest.

I hope you plow ahead and finish your cab.

javeryh

• Offline Offline
« Reply #90 on: June 01, 2018, 10:57:58 am »
When I was posting before I got to the point where I swore I just wasn't going to show my cab when I finished because nobody seemed to like the same things as me.

Haha - probably the best idea of all!  You've gotta do what you like and not listen to all of the "experts" around here when it comes to art.  :cheers:

Gilrock

• Offline Offline
« Reply #91 on: June 01, 2018, 11:30:49 am »
I've just spent an insane amount of hours trying to create art I like and it keeping me from finishing the cabinet.  That's why I stopped before but then got sidetracked with my Christmas light software.  If you checkout the xLights forum for that software I'm the top poster with over 5,000 posts so that's why my cabinet never got done.  Even when I've grabbed images from the net it hasn't been a quick drop and place.  Like on the side with the eye of sauron where the hobbits are climbing the mountain initially they were climbing the mountain the other direction and I didn't like it so I flipped the entire bottom half of the mountain.  I'm pretty good with Photoshop and can create great vector graphics but I can't just draw things from scratch.  I keep wavering on whether to use the dragons cause I did buy the rights from the artist and got high resolution copies of the files for them.

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #92 on: June 01, 2018, 11:45:43 am »
Dude. It was just a joke. Hence the  ;D

Sorry. I am not trying to tweak you. Just having some fun. I will recalibrate my future responses to you.

Gilrock

• Offline Offline
« Reply #93 on: June 01, 2018, 12:01:30 pm »
Dude. It was just a joke. Hence the  ;D

Sorry. I am not trying to tweak you. Just having some fun. I will recalibrate my future responses to you.

Well this reply is funny because I never read your last one.  When I clicked the link to see replies I only saw javeryh's so I was replying to him so don't take anything I said personal.

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #94 on: June 01, 2018, 12:32:56 pm »
No way. You were just defending yourself. Which, by the way, you never have to do with me. If my advice is no good just tell me and I will back off. If my humor sucks just tell me and I will back off. Although I might cry a little inside if you think I am not funny. If I offend you just tell me. I will apologize and recalibrate.

I want people to succeed in their projects. I come off strong on certain subjects (CRTs) because I care about them. Once someone makes up their mind I try to drop the subject. Sometimes I am not very good at that.

If someone posts a turd machine all finished with no community input, that person is going to get my unvarnished opinion. (see wall hanging turd machine)

Post pics and finish this cab.

Gilrock

• Offline Offline
« Reply #95 on: June 01, 2018, 12:46:04 pm »
Mike A:  Maybe I didn't state it clear.  I didn't even see your "joke" until after you said I reacted to it.  I saw the earlier post about the word arcade and I replied to that.  So no need to recalibrate cause I wasn't focusing on anything you said.  Most of what I'm saying is more about all the replies I got 4 years ago.

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #96 on: June 01, 2018, 12:48:25 pm »
Yeah. I saw that. I was just trying to be clear about where I am coming from. Guess I did a great job of that. :lol

Gilrock

• Offline Offline
« Reply #97 on: June 01, 2018, 07:37:45 pm »
After putting the control panel image into SketchUp I want to move all the buttons closer to the center.  I already have a controller built by mameroom that I thought I was going to use before I changed my build plans.  So when I'm playing with that controller it feels like the player 1 controls are too far left like my face is staring at the edge of the screen.  I modeled this control panel after the Grounds For Divorce one and it's lining up the joystick at the same spot as what I have so they need to move in.  Starting to wonder if I really need 7 buttons since I can't recall any games I play that use more than 3 or 4 buttons.  Maybe because I haven't downloaded any CHD's so I don't play any of the fighting games that probably need those buttons.

TheGreatRedDragon

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 23, 2023, 12:40:53 pm
« Reply #98 on: June 02, 2018, 06:03:50 am »
It's a shame you can't find higher resolution images of those towers because I think that looks seriously awesome. The dragons are really cool too.

I agree with Mike about the use of "arcade." The "Lord of the Arcades" title is very weird to me. The poster for Lord of the Rings doesn't say "Lord of the Posters." The movie isn't called "Lord of the Movies." The dust jacket doesn't say "Lord of the Dustjackets." Why would the arcade machine say "Lord of the Arcades"? To me it's a half measure between doing a dedicated theme and doing a generic arcade theme, and it doesn't really work as well as either.

And personally I think pairing that amazing dynamic machine with a theme so far removed from the arcade scene (as far as I know there are zero LOTR games) is a misstep. As I understand it the appeal of a dynamic marquee is being able to more accurately replicate the aesthetic of a given arcade game, but such lavish cabinet art will only lead to weird clashes. A Ms Pac Man logo in all its pink, yellow and blue glory glowing out of a Lord of the Rings cabinet will look really strange and IMO cheap, like an old cabinet that has had a new game jammed inside. An unbranded aesthetic would be more versatile

That's just my take though. If you're dedicated to a LOTR cabinet then that's your call, obviously.

Back to the side art, have you considered using the assets for the pinball machine? It would be a little pricey, but you could buy the art online and get high res work. These
are a similar idea to what you've got, and even if they're not super huge you might be able to scan them at a high enough resolution to compensate.

Gilrock

• Offline Offline
« Reply #99 on: June 02, 2018, 10:13:34 am »
Yep I already thought about the Marquee aspect.  Most people put artwork on the Marquee area to match the sides and cp whereas mine will switch to match each game.  Based on that argument the only option is a solid color.  I've always thought it was weird to create a cabinet that looks exactly like some game like Donkey Kong and then play 300 other games on it.

If I went with the dragons idea it would not be a LOTR theme at all because those dragons have nothing to do with LOTR.  I've already agonized over how it will clash with the games and marquee when I modeled it.  I attached an example.  Although I was expecting someone called TheGreatRedDragon to push for that option harder....lol.

TheGreatRedDragon

• Offline Offline
« Reply #100 on: June 02, 2018, 10:48:18 am »
Truth be told I've never read or seen Lord of the Rings so I had no idea if there were dragons or not haha.

True, a solid color would be least intrusive but geometric patterns and bold shapes can go a long way to spicing it up. The sideart on old Taito cabinets was really classy and the kind of design that I think if rendered in the right colors could adapt well to a wide variety of marquees

And of course something like this can be done while keeping to a LOTR theme. It would just be leaning away from photorealism and more into abstraction. A piece like this could be the basis for cool side art:

Gilrock

• Offline Offline
« Reply #101 on: June 02, 2018, 02:55:01 pm »
Well I'm about convinced to drop the whole LOTR theme.  I just spent 90 minutes doing my own custom bezel for Dragon's Lair and finding a better marquee image than what was coming up.  I really wanted this game to look good and with my 1080x1080 playfield all the 1920x1080 bezels don't look the best so I created a custom one to fit.  Now this makes me want to start drawing some Dragon's Lair vector art and see how that looks.  I mean the whole reason I started with the dragon idea was because of this game.

TheGreatRedDragon

• Offline Offline
« Reply #102 on: June 02, 2018, 05:40:30 pm »
Dragon's Lair art would be sick!

Still blown away by how good those screens look BTW.

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #103 on: June 07, 2018, 08:35:15 am »
Yeah. Custom Dragon's Lair art would be cool. There is excellent source material to draw from.

Gilrock

• Offline Offline
« Reply #104 on: June 07, 2018, 09:30:13 am »
Yeah I'm trying to draw all my own stuff.  I've made good progress on the control panel.  I learned to use Inkscape and I'm liking it better for vectors than Photoshop.  The struggle I'm having now is I'm wanting to delete controls that are in the way of my artwork...lol.  I'm like do I really need to play Tempest that bad or can I do without the spinner.  And the button I had beside the trackball I'm thinking I can delete it and just use the 7th button of player 2 for the fire button in Missile Command and Centipede.  So I'm leaning towards just having the 7 buttons each for player 1 and 2, center trackball, and 2 buttons top left for escape and select.  Then having player 1 and 2 coin and start on the front edge.

Gilrock

• Offline Offline
« Reply #105 on: June 08, 2018, 10:43:17 pm »
Here's where I'm at with the control panel.  I learned Inkscape and drew everything myself using vector graphics.  The textures are created using the filters in Inkscape.

Gilrock

• Offline Offline
« Reply #106 on: January 13, 2019, 12:45:29 am »
Still working on this.  I trashed all my previous artwork and control panels ideas and began creating new side art last summer.  I wanted it to be a Multicade theme representing many games but the artwork out there didn't fit my cabinet dimensions well so I've been creating a lot of my own artwork. I'm pretty happy with the lower section of the side which is similar other artwork out there but I had to redraw the entire pink/blue girder system to fit my cabinet.  Then I started creating a redraw of a Dragon's Lair CD scene for the middle section and in the sky area at the top will be Space Ace graphics.  My CNC has been out of commission for 1.5 years because my PC to control it had died.  Got it back up and running today and designed and cutout a new control panel.  I cut an MDF and 3mm Lexan piece to go on top.  I'm not even going to worry about graphics for the control panel until I use it awhile and decide I'm happy with the layout.  Since I've taken a break from my software project I'll definitely be completing this before summer.

Oh and I did build a bartop RetroPie cabinet for my son over Christmas break in 4 days.  Amazing how fast you can go when you don't worry about graphics.  I just painted it black.

Gilrock

• Offline Offline
« Reply #107 on: January 14, 2019, 09:17:50 am »
If anyone is listening does it matter which way you orient a Servostik when mounting as far as it working in the games?  I had forgotten to cut a pocket for the joystick and when I designed one I had to rotate one of the joysticks 90 degrees.  I just remember a couple weeks ago when I built the bartop Dragon's Lair would not work correctly until I rotated the joystick 90 degrees to the default that game wanted since that game finds the first joystick and uses it with no setup.  It was the player 2 joystick so maybe it's not a problem.  I guess I'll hook-up just the joysticks and a couple buttons and try it out.  If its not right I will move the joysticks and buttons and cut a new panel.

Drnick

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 06, 2023, 01:19:48 pm
  • Plodding Through Life
« Reply #108 on: January 15, 2019, 01:55:37 am »
shouldn't matter, just make sure the cables from the microswitches to the controller board go to the right places based on orientation of stick.  :)

Gilrock

• Offline Offline
« Reply #109 on: January 15, 2019, 07:45:57 am »
shouldn't matter, just make sure the cables from the microswitches to the controller board go to the right places based on orientation of stick.  :)

Thanks...I figured that out myself when I got home from work and looked at it again.  That's the problem asking questions at work... :)

So now I'm struggling with whether to recut the control panel or make what I have work.  Trying to mount the joysticks didn't work as planned mainly because I had designed a pocket that was only like 10mm thick so that between that and the thickness of the lexan it would equal a 0.5".  I failed trying not to pierce through the MDF so if I go with this panel I'm going to need to cut through holes in the lexan and use carriage bolts.  I was trying to avoid having visible hardware but not sure it would bug me that much.

J_K_M_A_N

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 08:26:10 am
« Reply #110 on: January 15, 2019, 09:02:21 am »
I tried to avoid visible hardware on the joysticks on my last project and I really don't think it was that great or even really noticeable. I used those t-nuts (I think that is what they are called) and they feel like they could come out of the wood panel if you push down too hard on the joystick. I am going through hole on my next one.

J_K_M_A_N

Gilrock

• Offline Offline
« Reply #111 on: January 15, 2019, 09:13:13 am »
I already ordered some carriage bolts last night just in case I wanted to go that route.  I'm kinda leaning towards cutting a new board just so I can fix some of the positioning I didn't like once I started trying things out.  It would allow me to move that joystick over so they would both look uniform underneath.  I know I'm the only one that would see it but it bothers me having one joystick turned 90 from the other.  I also just bought a couple cabinet latches and there wasn't a good spot on one side unless I move the buttons a little.  I just wish I hadn't cut the plastic but in the end I think I'd rather spend another $30 for the wood and plastic than wish I had done it different.

Now that I'm getting fired up building again I've been looking around this site and I swear I've found at least 10 different bartops/cabinets I'd love to copy.  I just love designing and building this stuff I just wish I could find friends that would buy them when I'm done.  My wife is already complaining when I hint at wanting to build some of the bartops I'm seeing.

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 06:16:00 am
  • Designated spam hunter
« Reply #112 on: January 15, 2019, 07:20:23 pm »
Trying to mount the joysticks didn't work as planned mainly because I had designed a pocket that was only like 10mm thick so that between that and the thickness of the lexan it would equal a 0.5".  I failed trying not to pierce through the MDF so if I go with this panel I'm going to need to cut through holes in the lexan and use carriage bolts.  I was trying to avoid having visible hardware but not sure it would bug me that much.
You may want to consider using the "Under mount (support blocks)" method.

https://web.archive.org/web/20160809113045/http://newwiki.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?title=FAQ#Joysticks

I used those t-nuts (I think that is what they are called) and they feel like they could come out of the wood panel if you push down too hard on the joystick.
You didn't put the T-nuts on the bottom of the panel, did you?   ???

Scott

Gilrock

• Offline Offline
« Reply #113 on: January 15, 2019, 07:49:28 pm »
Yeah I like the idea but I've got Ultimarc ServoStiks bought 4 years ago when I first started this and it has a thin metal flange around the outside and doesn't look as easy to put into that type of configuration.  If I cut it out of plywood I think I could get away with shorter screws on the bottom that won't poke through.  I'm just trying to decide if having the domed carriage bolt heads is going to bother me.  I looked at a lot of projects and it seems 80% don't show any screws but I found many that did.

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
  • Designated spam hunter
« Reply #114 on: January 15, 2019, 10:09:12 pm »
Yeah I like the idea but I've got Ultimarc ServoStiks bought 4 years ago when I first started this and it has a thin metal flange around the outside and doesn't look as easy to put into that type of configuration.  If I cut it out of plywood I think I could get away with shorter screws on the bottom that won't poke through.
The wood support blocks are easy, just cut off the part where the servo is mounted.

For the crossbars, change them from a straight bar with two threaded insert mount screws to a "b" shaped pate with threaded insert mount screws on three corners.
- The belly of the "b" covers the wood support block.
- The narrow part provides clearance for the servo.

Scott

J_K_M_A_N

• Offline Offline
« Reply #115 on: January 15, 2019, 10:50:48 pm »

I used those t-nuts (I think that is what they are called) and they feel like they could come out of the wood panel if you push down too hard on the joystick.

You didn't put the T-nuts on the bottom of the panel, did you?   ???

Scott

I did because I didn't want anything up top. I was only painting and I would have had to fill them in. I know better now. If I had used the threaded inserts instead, all would have been well. :)

J_K_M_A_N

Gilrock

• Offline Offline
« Reply #116 on: January 16, 2019, 07:48:51 am »
Thanks for the suggestion PL1.  I was also tossing around some ideas when I couldn't go back to sleep this morning....lol.  I thought about attaching aluminum posts to get the flange to the level of the MDF and then I'd only need to countersink under the flange for the screw heads.  Then I could use the brace idea you mention.  I also could design a special shaped bracket and 3D print it if I can get my son home for the weekend to run the printer.

J_K_M_A_N:  Just sharing what I ran into.  I tried to use the threaded inserts that came with mine but with only 10mm of MDF I drilled a the hole all the way through.  I screwed the insert into a spare piece of MDF and used a grinder to thin it down to 10mm height.  But when I screwed the insert into the MDF it pillowed up a little on the top side around the edges of the insert enough that it bothered me.  That's what got me wanting to recut my whole panel. 

Gilrock

• Offline Offline
« Reply #117 on: January 17, 2019, 11:59:36 pm »
So PL1 I went with a variation on the idea you gave me.  I made this metal bracket that came out really nice.  I used the CNC router to cut deep enough to score the shape in steel and mark the position for the holes Then I drilled out the holes and used a jigsaw to cut the shape.  I'm waiting for tomorrow to receive threaded brass inserts another friend showed me that are only 3/8" deep and should work well to secure that metal bracket in the thicker MDF area.  I'll practice in a spare piece first this time and if I'm not happy I'll just use short screws in a pilot hole.

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
  • Designated spam hunter
« Reply #118 on: January 18, 2019, 02:31:49 am »
I made this metal bracket that came out really nice.
Looks great!   :cheers:

I'm waiting for tomorrow to receive threaded brass inserts another friend showed me that are only 3/8" deep and should work well to secure that metal bracket in the thicker MDF area.  I'll practice in a spare piece first this time and if I'm not happy I'll just use short screws in a pilot hole.
You can only tighten the screw in a pilot hole once -- the MDF around the threads crumbles to pulp when you remove and replace the screw -- so threaded inserts are definitely your friend for this application.

Also, be aware of the outer thread geometry of the inserts.

The wide, flat outer threads found on the GGG and Ultimarc threaded inserts is better in MDF than the more machine-screw style threads for hardwood inserts.

Scott

Gilrock

• Offline Offline
« Reply #119 on: January 18, 2019, 08:59:06 am »
Well darn now I don't know what to use...lol.  The Ultimarc inserts were definitely a problem when the MDF was only 10mm but yeah maybe they would work in the 16.8mm region.  The other guy said he uses those brass inserts (E-Z Lok Threaded Insert, Brass, Knife Thread, #8-32 Internal Threads, 0.375" Length) and he showed me a picture that looked like MDF so he had me convinced they were the way to go.  I'll have both in my hands by this afternoon.
Edit: That's the picture he sent me its not my panel.

Gilrock

• Offline Offline
« Reply #120 on: January 18, 2019, 09:23:05 am »
The Ultimarc inserts look like the middle picture you posted.  I measured them at 13mm so that is cutting it kinda close only leaving 3.8mm.  I'm sure I can cut a hole just fine but a slight over tighten might pop the MDF on the other side.  Guess I can practice on the old control panel since I had a cut a new one.

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
  • Designated spam hunter
« Reply #121 on: January 18, 2019, 09:45:24 am »
The GGG/Ultimarc style inserts are stronger, but those brass inserts should work fine as long as they are properly installed.

IIRC, some CNC builders have used those brass inserts to attach holddown fasteners that secure the work material to an MDF spoilboard.

Scott

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
  • Designated spam hunter
« Reply #122 on: January 18, 2019, 10:35:47 am »
Rodney posted this video several years ago showing how to use a drill press to install inserts.

The Ultimarc inserts look like the middle picture you posted.  I measured them at 13mm so that is cutting it kinda close only leaving 3.8mm.  I'm sure I can cut a hole just fine but a slight over tighten might pop the MDF on the other side.  Guess I can practice on the old control panel since I had a cut a new one.
Here are some 10mm deep inserts similar to the Ultimarc inserts. (no flange, wide/flat outer threads)

NOTE: The photo in the Amazon listing is not correct.  This PDF shows an accurate line drawing and here's a picture of them.

Scott

Gilrock

• Offline Offline
« Reply #123 on: January 18, 2019, 11:40:59 am »
Cool thanks for that video.  Better than trying to do it with a hex wrench.  Luckily Ace was only 2 miles away to get the bolt for the jig.

Gilrock

• Offline Offline
« Reply #124 on: January 28, 2019, 12:15:52 pm »
Well I was supposed to receive my artwork Friday but USPS failed me and it never showed up.  Still on the way as of today.  I thought I'd be being installing buttons and joysticks over the weekend.  So instead I did some cleanup of the area around my pinball machines because the space underneath them had become a storage zone.  Then I started actually playing my MAME cabinet for a change instead of just spending all my time designing/building stuff.  Its not complete but with the old control panel I had bought I can still play.  I got into trying to play Defender and got frustrated trying to decide on which buttons to use and the button I could use for reverse with my left thumb was difficult to reach.  So I said to myself hey I designed this cabinet so that the control panel could be interchangeable so I'm going to build an exclusive Defender / Stargate control panel.  I'm not 100% sure how I'm going to make it where I can secure and remove multiple control panels but I'm thinking a couple round posts would be used to guide the panel into place so there would be 2 holes in the bottom of each panel that fits onto the posts.  I got the artwork drawn but I'm not at home to post it.  I looked at all the photos I could find and ended up with pretty much a copy of the Defender art in the middle.  But this panel will be a little larger so I had some extra space to fill.  I'd like to make the front of the control panel curve down so I'll be looking for posts talking about how to get a polycarbonate laminate attached to a curved control panel.

I wanted a 2-way joystick as close to the original as I could find.  Arcadeshop had a 2-way Williams Reprostick listed but no option to buy it anymore.  I ended up buying a GGG 2-way True-Leaf stick and leaf buttons enough to make the panel.  So just now I was searching for that reprostick to remember what I had seen for this post and I stumbled on another joystick at jbgaming.co.uk listed as a ZeroPlay 2way Joystick saying it's a direct replacement for the Defender joystick.  It's about $98 but I'm willing to buy it if its better than the other stick I ordered for this purpose.  Any thoughts?  What about the True-Leaf buttons from GGG are they going to feel like the original or was there a better choice?

EMDB

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 05, 2023, 09:18:51 am
  • Project RetroCade
« Reply #125 on: January 28, 2019, 01:05:53 pm »
Well darn now I don't know what to use...lol.  The Ultimarc inserts were definitely a problem when the MDF was only 10mm but yeah maybe they would work in the 16.8mm region.  The other guy said he uses those brass inserts (E-Z Lok Threaded Insert, Brass, Knife Thread, #8-32 Internal Threads, 0.375" Length) and he showed me a picture that looked like MDF so he had me convinced they were the way to go.  I'll have both in my hands by this afternoon.
The inserts should be at the bottom of the CP so you can replace the stick without touching the top (artwork, plexi).

Gilrock

• Offline Offline
« Reply #126 on: January 28, 2019, 01:16:04 pm »
The inserts should be at the bottom of the CP so you can replace the stick without touching the top (artwork, plexi).

Yeah I'm well past that issue if you read further I posted photos after getting the inserts installed and designing custom mounting plates.  There was no existing artwork this is a new build and I was installing the inserts on the bottom the whole time it was the 10mm thickness that made it a challenge.

Gilrock

• Offline Offline
« Reply #127 on: January 28, 2019, 06:40:25 pm »
This is the modified Defender control panel redraw I did over the weekend that I'm thinking of using for a 2nd control panel.  I was hoping to build a curved panel so the bottom part of the art would face forward.

Gilrock

• Offline Offline
« Reply #128 on: January 31, 2019, 06:46:08 pm »
Well my artwork finally arrived a week late and I got that installed so I'm starting to mount the hardware I bought 4 years ago.  Being heavy into pixels for my Christmas show I had ordered everything on the control panel to be lit with RGB.  RGB buttons, joystick knob, and trackball.  Well now I'm starting to look at these RGB buttons and its looking like more hassle than it's worth.  I found one video where a guy was showing Ultimarc Classic RGB buttons but they did not look like they assemble like mine.  I couldn't find any tips or instructions on the Ultimarc website.  And searching on this site sucks because every time I hit the back button it says my previous page expired.  So the button parts are shown below.  I assume I'm supposed to put that diffuser over the led but it is not easy to get it down very far.  I tried installing it and the button hits the diffuser.  Only thing I can think of is to cut half this diffuser off so I can assemble it with a shorter profile.

Gilrock

• Offline Offline
« Reply #129 on: January 31, 2019, 08:43:14 pm »
Installed the artwork and T-molding.  I decided to keep it fairly generic so I created a weave pattern trying to make it look carbon fiberish.

J_K_M_A_N

• Offline Offline
« Reply #130 on: January 31, 2019, 10:25:55 pm »
Does that (or is that going to) have plexi/lexan on it or do people just go with the good vinyl now? I had lexan on my last two but I really want to do some graphics on this build. I am just not sure if I should cover it with lexan.

J_K_M_A_N

Gilrock

• Offline Offline
« Reply #131 on: January 31, 2019, 10:49:56 pm »
Mine already has an 1/8" piece of plastic in that photo I just didn't mention it.  I have a plastic shop in town and I just tell the guy I need it to be clear and I'd like it to cut well on the router.  The paper on the back of this plastic says Makrolon.  The guy that prints my artwork gave me the option of whether I wanted polycarbonate laminate over the graphic.  I said I don't even know what that is but the artwork is going under plastic and he said ok don't get the laminate if you're covering in plastic.  If not covering then he recommended the laminate because it protects the art better.  I think it's like a 3 mil laminate over the art.

Gilrock

• Offline Offline
« Reply #132 on: February 01, 2019, 12:44:38 am »
Controls are installed just need to start wiring it up tomorrow.

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #133 on: February 01, 2019, 06:44:14 am »
That CP looks nice. Simple is best.

Gilrock

• Offline Offline
« Reply #134 on: February 01, 2019, 10:18:34 am »
Well I've now got an extra couple hours work.  I wasn't happy with how the wires exit the button.  I couldn't find a good way to insure the corner of the part that moves at the bottom wasn't going to be rubbing or clipping the wires.  Like I said these were 4 years old and I had ordered a few new electrolux buttons for the admin buttons and I noticed they had a better design.  So now I'm disassembling all the buttons to drill an exit hole for the wires.  I think the time spent will be worth it not having to repair something later.

The original design on the right and my mod on the left:

Gilrock

• Offline Offline
« Reply #135 on: February 01, 2019, 10:32:50 am »
That CP looks nice. Simple is best.

Thanks.  It was probably some of your advice that led me that way.  I do listen to all the input.  I even ran into another post that was a few years old yesterday where you were telling someone to forget the RGB buttons.  If I had gotten that earlier I probably wouldn't have them either.  But there is always next panel.  I guess this panel will be my flashy lighting panel.

I'm already wanting to build two other panels.  I'm going to probably do a dedicated Defender and Robotron panel.  I just can't decide if I want to make the panels work for this cabinet or build a new one.  After doing more browsing around I started getting interested in building a new cab with a CRT but they seem hard to find or know which ones to look for except the Makvision but I saw a couple posts saying they didn't hear good things about the Makvision but nobody actually spelled out what's wrong with them.

Gilrock

• Offline Offline
« Reply #136 on: February 02, 2019, 05:51:31 pm »
Got the panel wiring done today.  Tested everything but the 4way/8way motors.  Everything worked except one joystick only lights up green and blue...red is broken.  I was like darn it couldn't it be any other led on the board where I would have spares.

Drnick

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 06, 2023, 01:19:48 pm
  • Plodding Through Life
« Reply #137 on: February 04, 2019, 02:06:42 am »
That there is some sweet sweet wiring  :applaud: :applaud: :applaud:

luizw81

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 05, 2022, 12:39:36 pm
  • I love the Power Glove. It's so bad.
« Reply #138 on: February 06, 2019, 05:00:05 pm »
Sweet wiring indeed.  My panel looks like a ball of yarn caught in a briar patch.   :lol

Gilrock

• Offline Offline
« Reply #139 on: February 06, 2019, 05:21:42 pm »
Yeah it was a pain trying to organize all the extra wire.  I would prefer to cut them to length but I didn't want to wait to buy a bunch of pins for all the RGB stuff so I used the premade wires and had to fold all the extra length back into the bundle.  I had to extend a few wires so I used heat shrink solder connectors for that.

javeryh

• Offline Offline
« Reply #140 on: February 06, 2019, 08:24:47 pm »
Very nice wiring and very clean CP - a definite winner!   :cheers:

Gilrock

• Offline Offline
« Reply #141 on: February 07, 2019, 10:18:50 am »
The new servo stick illuminated handle arrived yesterday.  I swapped it out with the one that had a broken red led.  Fired up Robotron and only the player 2 joystick lit up red and I'm like WTF.  I started to get mad thinking I made a mistake diagnosing the problem.  I remembered swapping harnesses and proving it wasn't cabling.  I'm thinking no way I got two bad sticks in a row.  So I calm down and exit Big Box and fire up the LedBlinkyInputMapper.  Whew....the led is lighting up all colors just fine which definitely wasn't the case for the first stick.  So then there was just a second issue where I had to add some more mappings in LedBlinky for the joysticks.

These joysticks feel so much nicer than what was on my old control panel.  I've mainly been playing Robotron and with the 4way/8way restrictor plate it feels like cheating its so easy to hit the diagonal shots now and I find it harder to shoot up/down whereas the old sticks were the opposite.  Its been so many years I forget what the original Robotron felt like.  I assume it was just circular motion.  I've played so much Robotron the past 2 weeks I convinced myself I wanted to build a Robotron clone.  So instead of making additional control panels for this cabinet I'm going to build a Robotron clone and possibly build additional Defender and Joust control panels to swap in.  Several parts already on order so if you see me get quiet on this cabinet its because I'm building that one.

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #142 on: February 07, 2019, 10:34:16 am »
If you build a Robotron panel and you really love Robotron, slow down a second. Do it right. The joystick and the spacing both matter. Go to KLOV there are always people selling refurbished Wico sticks for Robotron. Get those. If you have your heart set on new sticks, Arcadeshop sells reproduction Wicos. I can't vouch for them. I have never used one of their repros. They haven't been around long.

Gilrock

• Offline Offline
« Reply #143 on: February 07, 2019, 11:24:48 am »
If you build a Robotron panel and you really love Robotron, slow down a second. Do it right. The joystick and the spacing both matter. Go to KLOV there are always people selling refurbished Wico sticks for Robotron. Get those. If you have your heart set on new sticks, Arcadeshop sells reproduction Wicos. I can't vouch for them. I have never used one of their repros. They haven't been around long.

I should probably start a new thread for the new effort.  I did a ton a searching threads about Robotron joysticks last week and the problem was I kept finding so many different opinions.  I don't remember the original sticks so I'm not too stuck on anything particular I just want whatever plays the best.  I was already ordering leaf buttons from GGG so I added a couple Dominux8 joysticks to that order.  There were folks on this forum saying they felt great for Robotron.  I also was looking at used sticks on Ebay and it looked like I was rolling the dice on whether they were in good shape or I'd have to figure out how to do some grommet upgrade I was reading about.  Not sure I've even discovered KLOV I know I've seen the name.  I've ordered a JROK multi-Williams board from Arcadeshop as well as a Robotron marquee and control panel art so I plan to have the 10" spacing.  If their Wico version is better than what I ordered I'll add them to the order.  I just thought I got steered the other way by something I read but I can't find it right now.

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #144 on: February 07, 2019, 11:27:32 am »
KLOV.com

Go there. Join the forums. There is tons of information there.

Gilrock

• Offline Offline
« Reply #145 on: February 07, 2019, 11:48:38 am »
Thanks...just signed up.  I do tend to buy things too quick but I try to do research first I just crunch it into an hour or two.  I've already received my Defender joystick clone from jbgaming and it looks pretty nice but I really want to build the Robotron CP first.

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #146 on: February 07, 2019, 11:51:07 am »
I will turn you to the dark side.

Gilrock

• Offline Offline
« Reply #147 on: February 07, 2019, 05:22:26 pm »
I will turn you to the dark side.

As in non-lighted controls? :)

Gilrock

• Offline Offline
« Reply #148 on: February 07, 2019, 05:35:31 pm »
Now I'm agonizing over the monitor.  I hear everyone saying CRTs are the way to go.  I did a bunch of searching and couldn't figure exactly what I should be looking for.  I ended up ordering the 19" Vision Pro LCD from Arcadeshop because it looked like they were saying these are installed to fix old machines and I saw the JROK had the ability to fake the scanlines.  Now I'm doing more reading and I keep seeing everyone saying CRTs are the only way to fly.  I'm just a rookie when it comes to different CRTs and I keep reading 100 threads where people spend all their time trying to get them working properly.  I used to own a Hanaho games ArcadePC which had a CRT but I gave it away to a friend and his kids.  I didn't know they were collector's items now.  I should see if they are using it and try to get it back.

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #149 on: February 07, 2019, 07:04:52 pm »
Craigslist has been a good place for me to pick up CRTs. The KLOV forum also.

Gilrock

• Offline Offline
« Reply #150 on: February 07, 2019, 07:12:27 pm »
Is there anything particular to look for in a CRT?  Like I checked craigslist earlier today and saw a 20" Magnavox flat tube TV for $30.  I can't see the back but the front has RCA jacks.  I've ordered a glass bezel which should be the same size as the original so I need a tube that will work with whatever was in the original.  I thought it was a 19" from reading so I assume a slightly larger 20" would work if I can adjust the size.

Gilrock

• Offline Offline
« Reply #151 on: February 07, 2019, 07:36:41 pm »
Looks like I'd need an encoder board to convert RGB to composite to get that TV to work.  Of course I called the phone number and it was disconnected.  Post is only 3 days old.

Gilrock

• Offline Offline
« Reply #152 on: February 07, 2019, 11:09:36 pm »
Well I hope I can make this work.  The guy contacted me back and I drove across town and picked up this Magnavox 20" for $30.

Arroyo

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 04:24:05 pm
  • Budgets are boring
    • newforum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,156267.0.html
« Reply #153 on: February 07, 2019, 11:48:28 pm »
Well I hope I can make this work.  The guy contacted me back and I drove across town and picked up this Magnavox 20" for $30.

Start reading in GroovyMame extensively.  It can seem intimidating at first but as you keep reading you’ll gather a lot of good info.

Good on ya for picking up a 20”, that’s a good size.  Your problem is going to be getting a quality signal to it as it’s a standard TV.  The good news is that most of these TV’s are able to be modded to accept a RGB signal.  Composite stinks, it just does, and if you settle for it you won’t reach the CRT nirvana that you would have experienced in arcades. 

It can seem intimidating but check out ways to mod your CRT to get a quality noise free signal:

https://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.php?t=56155

Just to give you a sense of the difference in quality here are some photos:

Look at the top of the T in the word ConTrol.  You’ll notice that it is blurry in the one and clear in the other.  That’s actually with a component connection but one running at interlaced frames and one in progressive (original resolution).  So even with a good signal, without using GroovyMame to get the correct resolution you won’t get the ideal look that your going for.

As someone who’s gone through a lot of searching recently (and still exploring) I’m happy to help, as it’s definitely a great way to go.

Gilrock

• Offline Offline
« Reply #154 on: February 07, 2019, 11:51:52 pm »
But I ordered the JROK wSYSFPGA Williams board so I wouldn't be using GroovyMame.  That was the appeal to me not having to mess with building a PC.

Arroyo

• Offline Offline
  • Budgets are boring
« Reply #155 on: February 07, 2019, 11:59:34 pm »
But I ordered the JROK wSYSFPGA Williams board so I wouldn't be using GroovyMame.  That was the appeal to me not having to mess with building a PC.

That’s cool, it will still output RGB and unless you want to degrade the video quality you’ll want to be able to get the quality signal into your TV. 

First time I messed with a CRT I bought a HDMI to composite converter.  It worked but always felt weird, looked crappy, and timings seemed to be off.  Once I got into more detailed understanding of how the connections and CRT technology worked I quickly learned that the experience can be drastically different with a good signal, both in look and in game play (lag of input, sound sync, etc.).  If you’re interested I can post links to read up on the topics.

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #156 on: February 08, 2019, 06:09:52 am »
This is one of the reasons you need to slow down a bit. The JROK board outputs rgb, but also VGA. You have options. Take Arroyo's advice. Put down your wallet for a bit and do some reading. If the TV doesn't work for you it is still great for console games. Buy yourself an NES and a multicart. You are on the right path now.

Gilrock

• Offline Offline
« Reply #157 on: February 08, 2019, 08:08:21 am »
I've been reading for several days.  I'm not seeing what I did wrong here.  First I asked is there anything to look for in a CRT.  Then I saw that TV on Craigslist so I went back to read the JROK info and his website pointed me to an encoder board that could convert the RGB output of the JROK to the composite TV input.  So I posted again and said looks like I need that converter to use that TV.  So then the guy contacted me before anyone had replied to my posts so yeah I hurried to get the TV cause I don't know how long a Craigslist item would be there.  And I ordered the encoder board before I left the house to hope Arcadeshop could add it into my order about to ship.  I know I don't know as much as you guys on this CRT stuff but I have done more reading the past couple weeks than it may seem.

Gilrock

• Offline Offline
« Reply #158 on: February 08, 2019, 08:12:40 am »

That’s cool, it will still output RGB and unless you want to degrade the video quality you’ll want to be able to get the quality signal into your TV. 

First time I messed with a CRT I bought a HDMI to composite converter.  It worked but always felt weird, looked crappy, and timings seemed to be off.  Once I got into more detailed understanding of how the connections and CRT technology worked I quickly learned that the experience can be drastically different with a good signal, both in look and in game play (lag of input, sound sync, etc.).  If you’re interested I can post links to read up on the topics.

Thanks for the feedback.  I didn't see your reply when I first looked this morning wasn't till I was checking my email I saw you had replied.  Yes I already had the idea after you mentioned it that if it was possible to hack into the RGB output I could do that but I still wanted to get the RGB to Composite converter board so I could run the TV when the JROK gets here.  I also noticed when you take a screenshot of the TV it doesn't look the same as what you see during the live video.  The screenshots always look worse.

Arroyo

• Offline Offline
  • Budgets are boring
« Reply #159 on: February 08, 2019, 08:25:54 am »
Yes I already had the idea after you mentioned it that if it was possible to hack into the RGB output I could do that but I still wanted to get the RGB to Composite converter board so I could run the TV when the JROK gets here. 

I get it, it’s good to have options and be up and running quickly.  I mentioned it cause until you see the difference in quality of picture a lot of people might settle with that connection thinking it’s as good as it can get.  Just to give you a sense:

That’s left to right ->RF (coaxial), -> composite, -> S-video, -> RGB over YUV(component), and Direct RGB on a PVM monitor.  More can be read here:
[url=https://www.retrorgb.com/rgbmonitors.html]https://www.retrorgb.com/rgbmonitors.html[/URL]

EDIT: by the way in the picture above second from right showing a RGB over component I think misrepresents the quality you can get out of a non-PVM monitor.  Here’s an example from my setup which is a component connection to a Sony WEGA:

I also noticed when you take a screenshot of the TV it doesn't look the same as what you see during the live video.  The screenshots always look worse.

It can look pretty accurate with the right lighting, but yeah it’s never quite the same as in person.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2019, 08:39:50 am by Arroyo »

Gilrock

• Offline Offline
« Reply #160 on: February 08, 2019, 08:41:09 am »
So I'm assuming I cannot get the nice far right image with the TV I found.  If I figure out how to get RGB directly off this Magnavox would it be closest to the RGB over YUV image which was 2nd best?

Arroyo

• Offline Offline
  • Budgets are boring
« Reply #161 on: February 08, 2019, 08:41:58 am »
So I'm assuming I cannot get the nice far right image with the TV I found.  If I figure out how to get RGB directly off this Magnavox would it be closest to the RGB over YUV image which was 2nd best?

See my edit on previous post.  Arcade games didn’t use PVM’s just good old standard CRT’s with RGB connections.  And if you modded the TV to accept the RGB signal directly you’d get exactly that.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2019, 08:45:29 am by Arroyo »

Gilrock

• Offline Offline
« Reply #162 on: February 08, 2019, 08:51:49 am »
Thanks.  I just searched for Sony PVM 20 on eBay and you can tell they know who they are targeting when they have "Retro Gaming" in the description.  At those prices yeah I think I'll research how to improve this TV.

Arroyo

• Offline Offline
  • Budgets are boring
« Reply #163 on: February 08, 2019, 08:59:04 am »
Thanks.  I just searched for Sony PVM 20 on eBay and you can tell they know who they are targeting when they have "Retro Gaming" in the description.  At those prices yeah I think I'll research how to improve this TV.

Yeah, there’s clearly a lot of people that got turned onto the PVM thing and the markups are huge.  While I don’t have one to compare I’ve read a lot of people that prefer standard CRT’s cause the PVM scanlines can be (depending on the model) really thick, and not authentic to what we experienced in the Arcades.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2019, 10:54:46 am by Arroyo »

Zebra

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 19, 2021, 01:12:24 pm
« Reply #164 on: February 10, 2019, 07:19:48 pm »

Yeah, there’s clearly a lot of people that got turned onto the PVM thing and the markups are huge.  While I don’t have one to compare I’ve read a lot of people that prefer standard CRT’s cause the PVM scanlines can be (depending on the model) really thick, and not authentic to what we experienced in the Arcades.

I have crt arcade monitors and broadcast monitors and I like them both for different reasons. The broadcast monitors are technically excellent with great geometry, amazing contrast and sharpness. The arcade monitors look more like what I remember from the arcades but picky players notice geometry issues at the edges sometimes.

You can still buy new CRT arcade monitors and that alone makes them worth a look over some 20 year-old heavily used pro monitor. I picked up a new 27" crt tri-sync recently to keep as a spare.

Gilrock

• Offline Offline
« Reply #165 on: February 10, 2019, 07:35:13 pm »
I need it to fit a Robotron bezel so 27" might be pushing it.

Umpa

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 07:42:04 am
« Reply #166 on: April 15, 2020, 04:59:23 pm »
Is that inner frame made out of 1x4 or 1x6? I like the idea of building an inner frame. Is it sturdy?

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

Gilrock

• Offline Offline
« Reply #167 on: April 15, 2020, 11:12:50 pm »
Is that inner frame made out of 1x4 or 1x6? I like the idea of building an inner frame. Is it sturdy?

Pretty sturdy.  You really need the outer panels to tighten it up though.

Umpa

• Offline Offline
« Reply #168 on: April 16, 2020, 01:57:38 am »

Pretty sturdy.  You really need the outer panels to tighten it up though.
Thanks! Do you have a pic of the finished machine you could post?

Gilrock

• Offline Offline
« Reply #169 on: April 16, 2020, 09:42:45 am »
]Thanks! Do you have a pic of the finished machine you could post?

Nope...all progress has been posted. :)

I never decided on final artwork then I built a Robotron cabinet and now I'm building a Joust cabinet.  Its a little hard to go back to MAME once you play on original cabinets with CRTs and I pretty much just play Robotron daily.

Umpa

• Offline Offline
« Reply #170 on: April 16, 2020, 11:08:38 am »
]Thanks! Do you have a pic of the finished machine you could post?

Nope...all progress has been posted. :)

I never decided on final artwork then I built a Robotron cabinet and now I'm building a Joust cabinet.  Its a little hard to go back to MAME once you play on original cabinets with CRTs and I pretty much just play Robotron daily.
Lol understand! Thanks!

Gilrock

• Offline Offline
« Reply #171 on: May 04, 2022, 09:57:10 pm »
For the guys I was talking to at ZapCon....here's that artwork I was talking about and the stack of gold coins that drove me crazy.  Put a lot of work in since I got back.  I only need to finish the castle wall background but its got a ton of detail lines in it.  The only thing I did not draw in that scene is the Daphne character.

bobbyb13

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 02:59:55 am
  • I believe I may need an intervention
« Reply #172 on: May 04, 2022, 11:41:47 pm »
HAS been a while since you were really working on this, hasn't it?!  :lol
This is awesome.
I have always wanted to fall in love with Dragon's Lair but couldn't justify the quarters BITD and I don't know enough about it to get into it apparently.
Maybe watching somebody play it well would be the catalyst?!
I have that whole single file load of it somewhere.

I feel you on the MAME cabinet thing Gil.
The more fpga based cabinets I build the more my desired games to play list shrinks.

Still a bunch of games I will happily rely on the MAME boxes for (because the whole thing really is remarkable) but I have found myself turning on the other machines more frequently recently.

I've always been staunchly opposed to playing things with the controls half-assed relative to original so it makes for interesting swappable multi-panel thoughts at this point.
Relax, all right? My old man is a television repairman, he's got this ultimate set of tools! I can fix it.

bperkins01

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 24, 2023, 02:13:35 pm
  • Plenty of skills.. gaining experience..
« Reply #173 on: May 06, 2022, 11:47:30 am »
Really nice artwork    :notworthy: :notworthy:
My Arcade Cabinet Build and other projects here:
Centipede, Joust, Joust Cocktail, Asteroids, Galaga, Ms. Pacman Cabaret, Defender, Space Invaders Cocktail
https://bperkins.wordpress.com/

Gilrock

• Offline Offline
« Reply #174 on: May 06, 2022, 04:55:38 pm »
Yep I feel the same way.  I love the stuff I put my heart into building and I love acquiring originals.  I am determined to finish this Mame can now.  But I also picked up a new addition to my collection yesterday. This cabinet was at ZapCon and the previous owner is local to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #175 on: May 06, 2022, 07:56:50 pm »
Nice.

bobbyb13

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 02:59:55 am
  • I believe I may need an intervention
« Reply #176 on: May 07, 2022, 02:17:02 am »
Nice score Gil.
That thing looks damn near perfect.

Keep at it with the mame cab!
What is the CP layout you decided on for that anyway?
Relax, all right? My old man is a television repairman, he's got this ultimate set of tools! I can fix it.

Gilrock

• Offline Offline
« Reply #177 on: May 07, 2022, 03:50:15 pm »
The control panel photo is in post #133.  Basically 2 player with 4 buttons per joystick. I don’t play fighting games.  And I have a center trackball and up top I have a section designed for Tempest and Asteroids

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

10yard

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 08:24:00 am
  • L BREAK into program
    • DKAFE Frontend
« Reply #178 on: May 10, 2022, 10:55:14 am »
That's a beautiful DK cab,  perfect when you swap out those buttons.  I'm jealous.

Impressed with your custom Dragon's Lair artwork too.  There's so much detail.  Keep at it.  :applaud:
Check out my Donkey Kong Arcade Frontend at https://github.com/10yard/dkafe#readme

javeryh

• Offline Offline
« Reply #179 on: May 10, 2022, 11:51:48 am »
That DK looks awesome.  My favorite cabinet design - the colors and the shape and the art are all perfect.