Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Building a PC [for X]  (Read 7307 times)

Generic Eric

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 05, 2024, 09:02:23 am
  • Restore! Don't maim for MAME, build from scratch!
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,143226.0.html
Building a PC [for X]
« on: September 11, 2014, 05:03:33 pm »
I think that building a PC is something that everyone who is interested in should do.  A hole punch in the geek card if you will.  I also think that there while a person can quickly get carried away in over configuring, this is a hobby where many people can come in on an equal footing.  When asked what do they need to build a good PC [for X] my answer is always the best you can afford.  A slow computer is as useful as watching scrambled cable channels.

My larger point is that if you budget well, you can either purchase a premade PC from DELL or custom configure your own PC and you can use it for ANYTHING you want.  If you add a front end that is more demanding, you'll be prepared.  If you move on to virtual pinball, you'll be prepared.

Also what may start as a PC for emulating arcades, my turn into a console emulator, some of which are more demanding.  In short, what starts as a MAME PC may not end as a MAME PC.  A PC that is really good now, will end up as a PC that is good in a few years, where as PC that is good enough now to run MAME, may not age as well. 

We don't need hexacore i7's with OC'd titanium video cards in SLI & 16gig of RAM to play MAME 37b5 roms.  But it that is what you do, we can most likely rule out any problems with hardware.

So know your budget, know your computers intended purpose, and budget around that.

I reserve the right to revise and extend my remarks, though I don't anticipate the general nature of my statement change.

[/soapbox] :soapbox:

hypernova

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 25, 2016, 12:52:48 pm
Re: Building a PC [for X]
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2014, 05:12:45 pm »
Sooooo...

What prompted this post?
I'll exercise patience when you stop exercising stupidity.
My zazzle page.  I've created T-shirts!

yotsuya

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 10:58:57 pm
  • 2014 UCA Winner, 2014, 2015, 2016 ZapCon Winner
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,137636.msg1420628.html
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2014, 05:22:40 pm »
Shazzle! U mad, bro?  >:D
***Build what you dig, bro. Build what you dig.***

Generic Eric

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 05, 2024, 09:02:23 am
  • Restore! Don't maim for MAME, build from scratch!
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,143226.0.html
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2014, 05:34:46 pm »
Sooooo...

What prompted this post?

*shrug*  I've always felt like I should have this answer ready.  Now I can do.

Malenko

• KNEEL BEFORE ZODlenko!
  • Trade Count: (+58)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 10:20:30 pm
  • Have you played with my GingerBalls?
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,142404.msg1475162.html
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2014, 05:35:52 pm »
What if you're building a PC [for X2]?
If you're replying to a troll you are part of the problem.
I also need to follow this advice. Ignore or report, don't reply.

DaveMMR

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 29, 2024, 11:49:01 am
    • TeeVee Games
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2014, 06:03:30 pm »
What if you're building a PC [for X2]?

Attach pedals to it so you can type with your feet and stick and a couple of spinners on the front of the case.   >:D

[/soapbox] :soapbox:

You do realize you technically re-opened the soapbox after closing it. Now I have no closure.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2014, 06:07:30 pm by DaveMMR »

Vigo

• the Scourage of Carpathia
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+24)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 21, 2024, 08:20:28 am
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2014, 06:22:30 pm »
 :soapbox:

Now you listen to me, Eric. You don't blow your money on those comic books, you understand? They don't do you a damned bit of good, and the nude mags, you're gonna be inheriting mine when you're 16 anyway. Now look, the junk food and the candy just rots your teeth, gives you bad breath, and the girls run like hell. Stay the hell away from buying any rock TV shirts, or hip hop gear, or anything like that. Arcade games—pick out one that you can do, okay? ONE that you can do as opposed to a whole bunch of them that you don't know what the hell you're doing. Techno music just puts a hole in your brain an... are, are you listening to me? Look at me when I'm talking to you!

Vigo

• the Scourage of Carpathia
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+24)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 21, 2024, 08:20:28 am
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2014, 01:41:35 am »
It just dawned on me that someone might try to derive som sort of "meaning" or "point" to my above post. I had just seen a video of max headroom laughing and it made sense that I simply must post the above psa as an interpretive response to the computer question. Don't ask me why, but max headroom makes me do weird things. His hair intrigues me.

Eric, I agree.  Next time the computer question comes up, I think a GI joe psa will be my answer.

wp34

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 10, 2022, 09:48:19 pm
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2014, 10:22:31 am »
It just dawned on me that someone might try to derive som sort of "meaning" or "point" to my above post. I had just seen a video of max headroom laughing and it made sense that I simply must post the above psa as an interpretive response to the computer question. Don't ask me why, but max headroom makes me do weird things. His hair intrigues me.

Eric, I agree.  Next time the computer question comes up, I think a GI joe psa will be my answer.

I hadn't thought about Max Headroom in years.  I was watching an episode of Orphan Black this morning and Matt Frewer had a cameo.  That hair is gone.

jdbailey1206

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 11, 2023, 01:32:56 pm
  • No. It's your top score on Pole Position.
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2014, 10:30:00 am »
Wouldn't the following PSA make more sense....

« Last Edit: September 12, 2014, 10:35:51 am by jdbailey1206 »

BadMouth

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 09:47:02 pm
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2014, 12:21:51 pm »
Yeah, I cringe when I see someone on here insist that a 2.* Ghz Pentium 4 will run "everything".
I remember one guy who took that advice and was very upset because hardly anything he wanted to play would run full speed on it.