Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Intel Edison  (Read 2617 times)

Yvan256

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 20, 2017, 08:35:41 am
    • Yvan256
Intel Edison
« on: September 09, 2014, 02:19:06 pm »
http://hackaday.com/2014/09/09/intel-releases-edison-a-computer-slightly-larger-than-an-sd-card/.

Will this be better than a RaspberryPI to run MAME and other emulators?

edit: it seems that thing doesn't have video output capabilities, so the answer would be no.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2014, 04:34:29 pm by Yvan256 »

SavannahLion

• Wiki Contributor
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 19, 2015, 02:28:15 am
Re: Intel Edison
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2014, 06:25:47 pm »
Yeah, I was hopeful too. Thought maybe the engineers added a GPU of some kind since the last announcement.  Intel is positioning the Edison as a sort of Arduino-Killer rather than a Pi-Killer. The version "B" with the God awful Arduino headers is pretty clear about where Intel wants to go.

I think the previous Edison announcement had the thing the size of a SD-card with as many pins with the intent it would be sewn into clothing or something. Looks like the Intel engineers realized how stupid that idea is.

I'm not overly keen on this YAA product but I can accept it for what it is.

It's exciting though to have more than one CPU/MCU competing architectures on the market again. I'm hoping at least one more architecture rises before they processor wars kick into overdrive again.