Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Out of wall space  (Read 43044 times)

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 20, 2021, 09:02:29 pm
  • I'm interested in the classic games of the 80s
Out of wall space
« on: September 07, 2014, 04:51:21 pm »
Today I finished my latest wall mounted arcade project (Q*bert) which will probably be the last for a while as I am now out of wall space.  All of the machines plug into a recessed outlet behind the machine so the cord doesn't show (except for a little bit of the Tempest cord which I realized after seeing the picture I need to tuck back in).  All have a button that looks like a coin acceptor but they do not take coins.  All use LCD monitors (a CRT would not fit without making the cabinet a lot thicker and heaver).  I like this cabinet design as it allows the feel of the original while using only about 1/4 the space.

Robotron:  The first one I made.  Powered by a Raspberry pi.

Rampage:  My second machine.  The only one in which the CPO and bezel do not match the original.  Powered by Raspberry pi.

Stargate:  As plays defender.  Powered by a raspberry pi.

Fix-it-Felix Jr:  Also plays many other games that can be played with a single joystick and 2 buttons.  Powered by a Windows 7 PC.

Tempest:  Set up to be switchable between several versions including Tempest Tubes, As plays Major Havoc, Star Tac, Arkanoid, and Bomb Bee.  It has the spinner dial and volcano buttons from an original machine.  Powered by Raspberry Pi

Q*Bert:  Has a 4-way joystick mounted diagonally.  Has a knocker similar to the original which fires when Q*Bert or Coily fall off the pyramid.  Set up to play several version of Q*bert (Mello Yello, Qubes, etc.), Tylz, and Congo Bongo.  Also Raspberry Pi.

JDFan

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 21, 2023, 04:07:42 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Re: Out of wall space
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2014, 05:04:54 pm »
Beautiful work --- ( Glad to see you finally caved to the earlier advice and hid those cables !!)
Also very good choices you made on having the widest variety of game types - pretty much a setup for everyone no matter what games they enjoy and not a Franken panel to be seen.   :applaud: :applaud:

Being out of wall space doesn't mean it has to stop as there is floor space for a couple Cocktail cabs in the room !  :cheers:
« Last Edit: September 07, 2014, 05:07:56 pm by JDFan »

Superfrog

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 28, 2022, 10:39:08 am
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2014, 06:52:24 pm »
I love your work  :censored: :censored: very awesome projects  :cheers:

wp34

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 10, 2022, 09:48:19 pm
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2014, 10:14:25 pm »
That's an impressive and unique row.  The Tempest looks like leapinlew's awesome Tempest bartop is floating in air.

Nice work.   :cheers:

brihyn

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 31, 2020, 04:29:27 pm
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2014, 12:15:27 am »
I absolutely love these, and have since the first time you posted the photo. I've been (im)patiently waiting until the day I can build one or more of my own. I'm thinking my first will have to be a gyruss replica.
I'm hoping to break ground in the spring with a new man cave workshop. the hop is to ultimately box off a side room of maybe 16x13, and if I do, I'll definitely have a wall of these!!

shponglefan

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 15, 2022, 07:22:35 am
  • Correct horse battery staple
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2014, 12:16:25 am »
These look fantastic!  And they lend credence to using the Pi to power arcade machines, especially where space is more limited.

williamavished

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 02, 2015, 02:02:00 am
  • The best Computer Ever Made A500
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2014, 02:48:09 am »
Great project :burgerking: 

Is it stable enough ???

Pinfritz

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 26, 2024, 02:15:13 am
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2014, 05:57:38 am »
WOOW I love this style.... all!!!  :applaud:  :cheers:  :applaud: Whitch knocker do you used? do you have a link to a circuit for them?

deadmoney5

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 03, 2020, 11:02:02 pm
  • I don't feel tardy
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2014, 09:54:15 am »
damn...that's freaking awesome!  Great Job!

pbj

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 11:58:22 pm
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2014, 10:43:57 am »
Hiding the power cords was an immense improvement.

Rick

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 09, 2023, 01:16:55 pm
  • Bartop, Cocktail and Pinball Arcade Cabinets
    • Gameroom Designs Canada
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2014, 02:38:40 pm »
This is crazy! So awesome! (I'd never attempt similar, mainly because I have a couple of 'floating shelves' that my cat has given the old "45 degree downward angle" jump treatment...)

Nice collection!

jbenesh

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 15, 2016, 04:10:23 pm
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2014, 02:50:43 pm »
Very nice.  Has me thinking about making a Gauntlet version.

• Offline Offline
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2014, 04:20:39 pm »
Thanks for all the positive comments.  I agree that it looks much better with the cords hidden.

As for the wall anchors - I use these ones available at Lowes (Item #: 334848).  I mount them directly to the studs exactly 16" apart using 2.5 inch screws (not the wimpy screws the anchors come with.  The matching anchors are on the back of each machine.  They are about the same height and the same distance apart on every machine so they can be moved around.  I'm not sure how strong they are but I have tested them to 200 lbs.  The machine can be removed by lifting it straight up.  Initially I was concerned about this happening by accident during aggressive play so on my first machine (Robotron) I put hole at the bottom for a screw which will prevent it from being lifted unless the screw is removed.  Later I realized this isn't likely (It is virtually impossible to pull it straight up with enough force by accident) and haven't used these.

I got the circuit to use the knocker from another thread on this forum.  In that thread there are a couple versions but I used the one below.  The GPIO on the Raspberry Pi is only 3.3V so for R3 I used 27 ohms rather than the larger resistor shown which seems to work fine.  The knocker itself is a standard Data East/Sega 500-5081-00 as shown on the diagram.  I got a used 30V/1A power supply on eBay to use with it.

I wrote some code in python to get the parameters that work well to control the knocker.  The following code works well:

import RPi.GPIO as GPIO
import time

GPIO.setwarnings(False)
GPIO.setmode(GPIO.BCM)
GPIO.setup(7,GPIO.OUT)
GPIO.output(7, True)
time.sleep(0.05)
GPIO.output(7, False)

I used advmame 0.94 on the PI.  There is a knocker function in the qbert emulation which plays an MP3 when it was called.  I thought it would be a simple matter to replace this call with a voltage pulse to my circuit, but later found that this function is never actually called because of a bug in gottlieb.c within the vidhrdw src directory where this function is supposed to be called.  Fixing this bug and putting in a system call to my python knocker code worked well.  It might be more elegant to control the GPIO in the C code but I didn't bother because the method I used worked well.  In newer versions of MAME there are more built in methods of activating the knocker but these versions don't work well on the PI.

a1pharm

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 25, 2024, 09:22:48 pm
  • Planning and preparation prevents problems
« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2014, 05:54:29 pm »
This is such a cool and novel way of creating a real arcade with a small footprint... I may have to copy this at my next abode...

:applaud:

nitrogen_widget

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 07:02:12 am
« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2014, 01:38:48 am »
Very cool. Do you find significant differences between .96 and .106 performance wise?
Love the rampage one.

What did you use for a spinner?

• Offline Offline
« Reply #15 on: September 09, 2014, 06:54:56 am »
Don't know what the speed difference is between .96 and .106.  For my Pi builds I'm content with .94 and haven't bothered to upgrade.  The Fix-it-Felix game itself doesn't use MAME, but I do have a new MAME emulator on that machine - that will run games that the Pi won't, but for the games I'm running on the Pi the performance seems the same.

On the Tempest the spinner is the turbo spin 2, but it has a real Tempest knob attached to it.  It was discussed on another thread, but I really liked the way the original would make this vibrating noise when it spun fast.  I think this was due to premature wear on the bearings rather than something that was intended but when I played the original growing up it was part of the experience.  To recreate this the turbo spin is attached to a real spinner using some nylon gears.  It took a few tries to get it just right.

Very cool. Do you find significant differences between .96 and .106 performance wise?
Love the rampage one.

What did you use for a spinner?

Minwah

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 18, 2019, 05:03:20 am
    • MAMEWAH
« Reply #16 on: September 09, 2014, 07:29:21 am »
Nice idea!

JCHusky77

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 16, 2014, 11:16:01 am
« Reply #17 on: September 09, 2014, 09:42:55 am »
I really really love this idea. I think I may do this as well.

Do you have speakers in the machines??

Very well done and professional looking!

BobA

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 11, 2018, 09:52:14 pm
  • What Me Worry?
« Reply #18 on: September 09, 2014, 10:57:38 am »
Great looking setup.  Looks perfect with the power cords hidden.   :applaud:

• Offline Offline
« Reply #19 on: September 09, 2014, 01:22:44 pm »
Each one has a pair of Logitech S120 speakers which are available on Amazon for <$10. 

I really really love this idea. I think I may do this as well.

Do you have speakers in the machines??

Very well done and professional looking!

Slippyblade

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 16, 2023, 11:39:51 am
  • And to the death god we say, "Not today!"
« Reply #20 on: September 09, 2014, 05:31:02 pm »
Each one has a pair of Logitech S120 speakers which are available on Amazon for <$10. 
Headphone bypass and volume knob.  I assume you broke those out with extensions to the cab somewhere?

• Offline Offline
« Reply #21 on: September 09, 2014, 05:59:46 pm »
The speakers have a volume knob but it is not easily accessible.  I prefer to keep the speaker volume turned all the way up and control the volume in software from the Pi.  I don't have a head phone jack on the outside.  This would be easy to add but it is not a feature I would use. 

Headphone bypass and volume knob.  I assume you broke those out with extensions to the cab somewhere?

mgb

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 21, 2024, 06:18:13 pm
  • North East, US
« Reply #22 on: September 16, 2014, 01:37:41 pm »
Awesome,
 one of the most original projects I have ever seen.

stefano

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 24, 2023, 10:30:05 am
« Reply #23 on: September 18, 2014, 09:46:05 pm »
Wow!!!! Congratulations! One of the most interesting projects I've seen!
Please, give more details of the Raspberry Pi installation, the LCDs have HDMI or VGA connections (in case of VGA what adapter you used)...

How do you planned the cabinets? Scaled down and cutted the back from the original plans?

Best regards!

• Offline Offline
« Reply #24 on: September 19, 2014, 10:39:49 pm »
Wow!!!! Congratulations! One of the most interesting projects I've seen!
Please, give more details of the Raspberry Pi installation, the LCDs have HDMI or VGA connections (in case of VGA what adapter you used)...

How do you planned the cabinets? Scaled down and cutted the back from the original plans?

Best regards!

Thanks for the compliment. 

All the LCDs I've used have both DVI and VGA connectors.  On all of these that are Pi based use the HDMI output on the Pi with a HDMI->DVI cable.  I used the "BlueRigger" cable that is about $6.50 at Amazon.  There are cheaper cables available but I had bad luck with some of those.  I think HDMI to VGA cables could also be used, but this isn't the way I did it.

I didn't scale down the cabinets.  In fact, on some of them (Stargate and Tempest) the control panel is actually the exact size of the original.  The Robotron control panel is slightly scaled down.  I made rough designs of each one prior to starting.  The goal was to maintain the character of the original cabinet but make it thinner so it can hang on the wall: this required keeping the monitor nearly vertical which it wasn't any many of the originals. 

Superfrog

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 28, 2022, 10:39:08 am
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #25 on: September 20, 2014, 05:21:18 am »
Only thing what I was wandering about is where the heat is coming out?
Normally the fans are on the back, but how is your heating problem holding with these wall constructions?

Did I already say they are F*****G fantastic  :cheers:

• Offline Offline
« Reply #26 on: September 20, 2014, 07:54:10 am »
Excellent point.  This is the major advantage of the Raspberry Pi - it uses <5W so there is virtually no heat and no fan is needed.  The lights for the marquee are LED so there is also minimal heat there.  Since there is no fan there is also no fan noise.  This is not the case for Fix-it-felix junior which has a Windows 7 USFF PC and fan inside.  The slotted area of that cabinet below the control panel that would normally hold the speaker (e.g. where it is in Donkey Kong) actually is a vent.  Even so that cabinet probably gets to be 90 F inside.  It hasn't cause a problem yet, but if it did I would add some fans and vents at the top.

Only thing what I was wandering about is where the heat is coming out?
Normally the fans are on the back, but how is your heating problem holding with these wall constructions?

Did I already say they are F*****G fantastic  :cheers:

leapinlew

• Some questionable things going on in this room with cheetos
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 19, 2024, 06:19:27 pm
« Reply #27 on: September 20, 2014, 02:00:34 pm »
Looks good. I would consider some sort of paint finish around the arcade games to help define the space.

• Offline Offline
« Reply #28 on: September 21, 2014, 03:54:40 pm »
I agree.  We are in the process of remodeling the basement so these machines may end up positioned differently and the whole area will be repainted.

Looks good. I would consider some sort of paint finish around the arcade games to help define the space.

nitrogen_widget

• Offline Offline
« Reply #29 on: September 21, 2014, 07:35:07 pm »
I agree.  We are in the process of remodeling the basement so these machines may end up positioned differently and the whole area will be repainted.

Hey man, I see you are from Rochester.
I just came back from my first trip to Strong Museum with the kids.

I can't wait to go back.
Without them. :)

it's a little over an hrs drive for me but was well worth it to play Dig dug, centipede, q-bert, tempest, & gauntlet legends on real cabs again.
Been years.
Was disappointed they didn't have a berzerk but, they had robotron 2084.

After playing those games with all those different types of controls I really do think you are onto something here with your wall mounted set-up.

• Offline Offline
« Reply #30 on: September 21, 2014, 07:46:58 pm »
The Strong Museum of Play is great.  We get a yearly membership so it doesn't cost us to get in and tokens are 5 for a dollar.  I go a lot and would often go to look at their machines when I was designing mine.  Unfortunately a few of the games aren't in great condition - Their q-bert has a 8-way joystick and no knocker.   The vector screen on their Tempest is so bad that the game is almost unplayable.   They do change games in and out so if they don't have something on one visit they might have it on the next.  They also have a great pinball collection.  Their robotron seems to be on a really easy setting as it is much easier than I remember when we had a machine in college and much easier than the machine I have at home.  Their Fix-it-Felix machine is the one my kids saw and insisted I make one for home.

Hey man, I see you are from Rochester.
I just came back from my first trip to Strong Museum with the kids.

I can't wait to go back.
Without them. :)

it's a little over an hrs drive for me but was well worth it to play Dig dug, centipede, q-bert, tempest, & gauntlet legends on real cabs again.
Been years.
Was disappointed they didn't have a berzerk but, they had robotron 2084.

After playing those games with all those different types of controls I really do think you are onto something here with your wall mounted set-up.

nitrogen_widget

• Offline Offline
« Reply #31 on: September 21, 2014, 09:42:45 pm »
The Strong Museum of Play is great.  We get a yearly membership so it doesn't cost us to get in and tokens are 5 for a dollar.  I go a lot and would often go to look at their machines when I was designing mine.  Unfortunately a few of the games aren't in great condition - Their q-bert has a 8-way joystick and no knocker.   The vector screen on their Tempest is so bad that the game is almost unplayable.   They do change games in and out so if they don't have something on one visit they might have it on the next.  They also have a great pinball collection.  Their robotron seems to be on a really easy setting as it is much easier than I remember when we had a machine in college and much easier than the machine I have at home.  Their Fix-it-Felix machine is the one my kids saw and insisted I make one for home.

Yeah,
I did notice the Tempest screen was cock-eyed and i'd honestly never played robotron before and the fix-it felix was the first game my kids saw also.

Seeing & playing those games makes me want to get off my butt & work on my cabs now.

DeLuSioNal29

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 20, 2023, 11:39:06 pm
  • Build the impossible -"There is no Spoon"
    • DeLuSioNaL's YouTube Videos
« Reply #32 on: November 06, 2014, 10:39:24 am »
Awesome work!
Stop by my Youtube channel and leave a comment:

bitwise97

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 19, 2020, 07:01:38 pm
  • I built my first cab!
« Reply #33 on: November 06, 2014, 12:39:19 pm »
Today I finished my latest wall mounted arcade project (Q*bert) which will probably be the last for a while as I am now out of wall space.  All of the machines plug into a recessed outlet behind the machine so the cord doesn't show (except for a little bit of the Tempest cord which I realized after seeing the picture I need to tuck back in).  All have a button that looks like a coin acceptor but they do not take coins.  All use LCD monitors (a CRT would not fit without making the cabinet a lot thicker and heaver).  I like this cabinet design as it allows the feel of the original while using only about 1/4 the space.

All I can say is - wow!  My jaw dropped when I saw the line of machines mounted on your wall.  I've heard of full-size cabs, bar-top cabs, mini-cabs, coffee table cabs, but this!  This is category unto itself.

Very well done sir!

-Sam

AzureKnight

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 29, 2022, 12:22:17 am
« Reply #34 on: November 06, 2014, 01:54:28 pm »

You should have at least 3 more walls right?   ;D

This is a very cool collection and a very innovative way of saving space.  I love the bezel on the Rampage build.

jimmy2x2x

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 19, 2018, 01:29:48 am
« Reply #35 on: November 06, 2014, 07:21:06 pm »
Fantastic collection!

Not a criticism, just a question - how did you decide on each machines vertical position, my OCD would have demanded that all machines have an even gap between bottom of cab and the floor.

Slippyblade

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 16, 2023, 11:39:51 am
  • And to the death god we say, "Not today!"
« Reply #36 on: November 06, 2014, 07:24:17 pm »
Not a criticism, just a question - how did you decide on each machines vertical position, my OCD would have demanded that all machines have an even gap between bottom of cab and the floor.

Looks like the controls are at the same level on all of em except Felix...

Nephasth

« Reply #37 on: November 06, 2014, 07:38:45 pm »
Those are neat. Weird... but neat.

DaOld Man

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 13, 2023, 12:03:14 am
  • Wheres my coffee?
    • Skenny's Outpost
« Reply #38 on: November 06, 2014, 08:19:47 pm »
Great job and a novel idea.
You can raise the machine up as the kids grow.
 :applaud: :applaud: :applaud:

yotsuya

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 10:19:17 pm
  • 2014 UCA Winner, 2014, 2015, 2016 ZapCon Winner
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,137636.msg1420628.html
« Reply #39 on: November 06, 2014, 09:10:02 pm »
Those are neat. Weird... but neat.

You really haven't been around, have you?  >:D
***Build what you dig, bro. Build what you dig.***