Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: About using frontends...  (Read 2107 times)

Billabong

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 17, 2016, 09:05:48 am
  • Loosing Flynn...
    • Pure arcade Xstikcy
About using frontends...
« on: March 13, 2002, 02:16:07 pm »
OK, first off, I'm not trying to start a 'flame war' or anything, just looking for a little insight.

OK, I know if you're making a DOS box to run MAME, a front-end makes life easier.

But, if your running Windows, why not just use MAME32? Am I missing out on something by using MAME32? My setup isn't fancy, just a regular PC and a PC monitor.
Are there advantages to running regular MAME and a frontend, that you don't get with MAME32?

I've conquered the hardware, now it's time to learn about software. :)

Thanks,
Billabong
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by 1026619200 »
"So, you took apart a joystick to make...another joystick?"

Mike

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 22, 2005, 01:22:14 pm
  • Umm, yea about the TPS report
Re: About using frontends...
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2002, 03:03:15 pm »
The advantage is most people on here are using an arcade cabinet don't want it to look like a computer. Mame32 looks like a windows application.

Lilwolf

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 31, 2022, 10:26:34 pm
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2002, 03:04:06 pm »
main reason.  I don't have a mouse on my cabinet.

Mame32 and many other frontends arent' really designed to be run on a cabinet, but a computer with a full keyboard and a mouse.

Also,

1) mame32 doesn't have a lot of features
2) Looks like windows (a reason lots are going to other FEs
3) isn't all that pretty
4) gives the FE authors a way to contribute.  

It's really hard to start helping emulation with mame right now.  The drivers that are coming out are so complicated, that newbees shouldn't aren't going to get far.  You can start by emulating systems that are already emulated in your own system (and many do... I started porting mame to java at one point, then others did it before I had the z80 running)..

)p(

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 27, 2009, 03:38:15 am
  • We are the Galaxians...
    • Emulaxian:cabinet and frontend
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2002, 03:35:06 pm »
But, if your running Windows, why not just use MAME32? Am I missing out on something by using MAME32? My setup isn't fancy, just a regular PC and a PC monitor.
Are there advantages to running regular MAME and a frontend, that you don't get with MAME32?

I just made mine because I wanted an fe that would take up the Galaxian theme of my Galaxian cabinet when I made a mame machine of it now more then two years ago...to get a nice intergrated and esthetically pleasing...Gesamtkunstwerk...uhhum...just kidding on that last bit... ;D
But i must admit it got a bit out of control lately with the 3darcade  ;)

Peter

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 21, 2024, 11:59:54 pm
  • Your Post's Soul is MINE!!! .......Again??
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2002, 06:41:32 pm »
Mame 32 is fine if you like giving bill gates free advertisment. :)

It looks like windows and that's bad.... we have an arcade machine, so we don't want people to automatically think that it has a pc inside it and thus we try to hide that fact via a good fe.  Also mame32 only shows one type of artwork at a time and doesn't let you do anything without a mouse.  For does users I suppose it would make sense from their prespective to use mame 32 since hte only fe's they have available kinda look like mame 32, mainly one big list and that's it.

Also who said we're just running mame on our cabs?  I run mame, u64, u642, impact, modeler visual pinball and wahtever else I find amusing at the time.  Unless you like to navigate through windows in your cab, a fe is necessary to manage all of those.  

So in closing a vaild point sir, but it's kind of like asking "Why do you guys use computers when you could write papers on typewriters?"  Sure you COULD do it that way, but what's the fun in that?   ;)

Billabong

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 17, 2016, 09:05:48 am
  • Loosing Flynn...
    • Pure arcade Xstikcy
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2002, 06:55:58 am »
Thanks.

OK, I get the point now. When you make a full cab, you want it to look as little like Windoze as possible. I can dig it.

And please understand, I was not trying to disrespect fe authors. I've done many projects on the premise "Sure you COULD do it that way, but what's the fun in that?"

Like I said, I just have a regular PC and a monitor, which I use for things other than MAME (gasp!). I just was wondering if I was missing anything, like speed or something, by not using a fe.

Thanks,
Billabong
"So, you took apart a joystick to make...another joystick?"