Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: psx (and xbox) analog direction pads modification questions  (Read 2992 times)

o

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 12, 2003, 08:36:56 am
  • I'm a llama!
psx (and xbox) analog direction pads modification questions
« on: December 11, 2003, 07:10:05 am »
With a PS1 sony dual shock controller is there an easy way to make the right analog pad (*or both analog pads) function as the "Left analog pad"?  I see the analog pads are both on the same board, which is connected to the main controller board by a ribbon cable (but it only looks like 4 of the wires are used.???)

Also wondering if its possible (or difficult?) to make an analog direction pad function as a digital? (Playstation pads and Xbox pads in particular)
« Last Edit: December 11, 2003, 07:13:20 am by o »

Sephroth57

• Poo Monkey
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 07, 2020, 11:17:00 am
    • Check it out!!!
Re:psx (and xbox) analog direction pads modification questions
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2003, 10:47:31 am »
heres a very informative page on playstation controller hacking, it might help you out http://mywebpages.comcast.net/jdpyle1/controls_playstation.htm
"Owens is the ringleader in the ass hat circus"  D K

Dave_K.

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 06, 2022, 03:27:30 pm
    • Arcade Fever
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2003, 12:52:24 pm »
I don't understand the context of your question...but most PS2 games will let you customize the controls to your liking.

And if your second question is asking if you can hack analog joysticks for use with a digital 8-way joystick, the answer is yes, but depends on the pad you are hacking.  You simply ground out one side of the potentiometer with the direction of the digital stick input.

More info in the Game Console FAQ on this site...

o

• Offline Offline
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2003, 03:00:20 am »

Ive just opened up a second PS1 dual shock and I see that its different, the analog sticks are both connected to the main board on this one (like the one in the picture on that Playstation Interfacing page.. Ok, from looking at the backs of the controllers I guess this is analog controller type "A" and the other [with the separate analog board] is type "M")

using a Dreamconnection adapter (which lets you use psx controllers on a Dreamcast console), I would like to be able to be able to use the *Right* analog thumbstick on a dual shock pad as the DC's analog pad (the adapter maps only the *Left* analog stick to the DC analog pad)

if youre not sure what I this would be usefull for, a couple examples:
Bangaio (control movement and shoot-direction simultaneously AND separately)
Outtrigger (control move/strafe and look simultaneously separately)
(man, I wish Cannon Spike had control options like Bangaio's or Smash TV)

I thought it might possibly be easy(est) to
somehow connect/merge the analog pads (especiall with the "M" version of dual shock).
What I would like most though, if possible, is to have the Left analog thumbstick  send control as "Right analog thumbstick" (as stated), and mod the Right analog thumbstick to send/be digital as/merged-with the regular digital pad.  (very interested in the same with Xbox controllers) If something like this could be done with/in an external adapter instead of hacking individual controllers that would be even better, how im/possible is that?

I dont quite have the technical understanding or electronic skills to figure out how to implement this on my own or know if its possible for sure (even with the info and suggestesions sofar, thanks), but Im really interested in these and they seem very usefull.

Dave_K.

• Offline Offline
    • Arcade Fever
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2003, 06:42:38 am »
Ahhh! Now I see what you are after.  Those are some great Dreamcast games and I agree would be much more fun to play on a Dual analog stick setup.  

This would not be an easy job by any means, since the analog sticks' circuit is part of the PCB they are soldered too.   But I guess if you cut the traces leading to both analog sticks on the pcb, and then jumpered the left sticks traces to the right sticks inputs, that would solve half your problem.  Then carefully hack the ribbon cable lines for the d-pad buttons to the left analog stick's inputs...its techcnically possible.

o

• Offline Offline
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2003, 09:36:09 am »
Do you have an "M" model sony dualshock controller to look at?  The analog thumbsticks are both on their own small board separate from everything else, only connected to the main board by an 8 connector ribbon cable, there are NO other components on the board besides the two sticks. (is it possible with the M model that a simultaneous/mirrored function would be possible by connecting a contact or two between the two analog sticks?)

know anyone who'd be interested in doing those mods for trade or $?

is anything like this possible externally? (an adapter that any psx controller can be run though..)

« Last Edit: December 12, 2003, 09:48:53 am by o »

Dave_K.

• Offline Offline
    • Arcade Fever
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2003, 07:12:04 pm »
I don't have an "M" model/series ps1.  So I don't know for sure, but I'd guess its entirely possible to re-wire the 8ribbon cable connector to swap both L-analog connections for R-analog (and vice versa).  You'd first have to identify which are gound, +5, and then the two axis' for each stick.  My guess is its 8 connections because there are 2 grounds and 2 +5 lines.  But just a guess.  Use a multimeter to test and trace each line to the analog sticks, and simply cut and resplice accordingly.