Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Sega Genesis Bartop *** Complete - Now With Plans ***  (Read 99036 times)

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 01:01:08 pm
  • Designated spam hunter
Re: Sega Genesis Bartop
« Reply #120 on: November 14, 2014, 05:12:32 pm »
Keeping  the tip cleaned  ;D I was able to get the solder to flow better.
Just remember when you're done soldering to sponge-clean the tip and re-tin it so it won't oxidize.   ;D

Scott

grippie

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 10, 2022, 03:07:35 pm
  • Genesis Does
    • Optimus Meatron
« Reply #121 on: November 15, 2014, 09:32:19 pm »
So I did a lot of detail work over the last day or two. I wired up that VGA connector and tried to turn a PS/2 into a USB, but it didn't recognize the keywiz. I knew this might happen. I found that the mounting of the sub allowed me to get the PS/2 plugged in, but there is some tension on it. I de-cased it afterwards and it fits fine now without the plastic housing.

I then mounted the top panel and the marquee. I used comic book backer board because... comics! Then I lined it with reflective tape.
Last pic shows the sub mounted. I wanted something better but had 2 small L brackets that fit fine.

Lesson learned is that I should have figured out where the power plug was going to mount before I cut the back. I could have made a much nicer run on the other side. Oh well, you'll have that. Maybe I can add in an Ethernet port and switch it over some day.

I might inquire to GOG to see if they have my artwork. It's only been 5 days, but I had some questions about the cost and what I've uploaded...
« Last Edit: November 15, 2014, 09:43:48 pm by grippie »

grippie

• Offline Offline
  • Genesis Does
    • Optimus Meatron
« Reply #122 on: November 15, 2014, 09:36:33 pm »
Just remember when you're done soldering to sponge-clean the tip and re-tin it so it won't oxidize.   ;D
Scott
Thanks for the Tip :cheers:  The sponge changed my whole world when it comes to soldering. Keeping the tip cleaned allowed the solder to work so much better.

grippie

• Offline Offline
  • Genesis Does
    • Optimus Meatron
« Reply #123 on: November 17, 2014, 09:52:45 am »
Got an update from GOG. They are laying out my artwork now. (I got a refund too because I didn't understand their sideart pricing, even after asking) The end is so close I can taste it.  :o

This week I will probably figure out how exactly i'm going to mount the LS-32 joystick. I have looked up countless threads on mounting (top/bottom) and I plan on bottom mounting it for the simple fact that I will have the option of fixing or replacing it without destroying the artwork. I have some T-nuts that I plan to use. The material for the CP is thin at 1/2 inch so I think the T-nuts will give enough room and only lose a mm or two on the shaft height. I have the S-plate so it will be mounted like the picture below. Concerns?

grippie

• Offline Offline
  • Genesis Does
    • Optimus Meatron
« Reply #124 on: November 17, 2014, 10:09:59 am »
Just got a shipping notification from GOG  :applaud: :applaud: :applaud: :applaud: :applaud: :applaud: :applaud: :applaud: :applaud: :applaud: :applaud: :applaud: :applaud:

ChanceKJ

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 07, 2021, 02:52:06 pm
« Reply #125 on: November 17, 2014, 02:41:34 pm »
test mount the stick on a scrap bit of wood before you commit it to your panel. T-nuts are cheap, but I wouldn't waste them on the test.  I personally hate the idea of ever milling out a section of the CP bottom for a stick, but that's just me.

grippie

• Offline Offline
  • Genesis Does
    • Optimus Meatron
« Reply #126 on: November 17, 2014, 02:59:30 pm »
test mount the stick on a scrap bit of wood before you commit it to your panel.
Yea definitely going to create a routing frame and test this out first. Since I switched to the seimitsu stick, there just isn't room even with 1/2" MDF. On my next build I might try out using a metal control panel so I don't have to worry about this. We have a laser cutter here at work and it would be super easy to get one made up.

There will be lots of things I would have done differently by the end, but if it was too easy, this hobby wouldn't be as rewarding right?

ChanceKJ

• Offline Offline
« Reply #127 on: November 17, 2014, 03:08:31 pm »
Exactly.  :laugh:

I'm reminded of all the ambitious plans I had that got scrapped on my FLYNNS build.

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 01:01:08 pm
  • Designated spam hunter
« Reply #128 on: November 17, 2014, 03:27:57 pm »
I have some T-nuts that I plan to use. The material for the CP is thin at 1/2 inch
T-nuts are not designed to be undermounted.

The brads/prongs will eventually work loose and the stick will fall out, especially on such a thin CP.

You need threaded inserts like the ones from GGG or Ultimarc.

The "Under rmount (support blocks)" method here is the best way to shallow mount a stick IMHO.

Scott

grippie

• Offline Offline
  • Genesis Does
    • Optimus Meatron
« Reply #129 on: November 17, 2014, 05:08:32 pm »

As usual PL1 steps in with some wiki knowledge to show me what I'm doing wrong. :cheers:
« Last Edit: November 19, 2014, 03:20:22 pm by grippie »

grippie

• Offline Offline
  • Genesis Does
    • Optimus Meatron
« Reply #130 on: November 19, 2014, 11:03:19 pm »
Oh Happy Day. Artwork arrived today. Here is my artwork laying experience.

Picture 1: Got the artwork in. It's a little darker than what I was seeing on my monitor, but a little color differentiation is normal.
Picture 2: Sidepanels lookin good!

so installing the side art was a lot harder than I thought it'd be. First of all my dumb ass put vertical lines on it so I had to make sure that they weren't crooked. With the 1/2" of bleed I added in it was difficult to line up but I got it and clamped the artwork down. I peeled 1/2 of the backing and laid it down. I didn't do this very well on the first try. luckily I peeled it back a few times and got rid of most of the bubbles. Then came the T-Molding. oh man. I decided to fold over the artwork to get a nice clean edge. It worked awesome... mostly. Some of the corners buckled ever so slightly which leads me to...

Picture 3: one of my lessons learned. I found that I had to fan cut the corners or they would bunch up.
Picture 4: once fanned (or cut a bunch of times to make small sections) it folded down nice and smooth.

Finished that all up on the other side and...

Picture 5: lookin pretty solid. (not sure what the corner up top is showing. looks fine in real life)
Picture 6: Right side was much easier once I learned how to slowly scrub along the art to avoid getting bubbles.

Picutre 7: Marquee looks awesome! It looks off against the white t-molding, but when the monitor is in there with the black bezel it will look sweet.
Picture 8: ---steaming pile of meadow muffin---. :banghead:  Stupid cold cathodes don't light up the entire box very well. I thought they might not be super bright, but full. We'll i'll have to see about adding some larger ones, or something different. I don't have much room in there, so hopefully I can add some smaller ones on the side, or find 16" or so ones instead of the 12" ones.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2014, 11:06:25 pm by grippie »

ChanceKJ

• Offline Offline
« Reply #131 on: November 20, 2014, 09:53:02 am »
Keep a close eye on your artwork around the edge of the t-moulding. If your going to fold it over like that and not trim it to the edge you may get some bubbling.

ChanceKJ

• Offline Offline
« Reply #132 on: November 20, 2014, 09:57:16 am »
A good way to fix this if it does is to use a fresh exacto knife blade with a sharp point and slice around the edge. That way you won't need to remove the moulding. BE CAREFUL and go slow.  I did my CP similar and started to notice the pressure from the moulding pushed up the vinyl like this in a ton of spots. When I went to do my side panels I trimmed everything right down and touched up with a black sharpie before adding the moulding.

grippie

• Offline Offline
  • Genesis Does
    • Optimus Meatron
« Reply #133 on: November 20, 2014, 10:32:12 am »
Yea, I actually remembered that from reading your build. I saw the same thing and tried to use my knife to cut and tuck the edges in in the one bad area. (I have a leather-working scalpel that will cut through anything). When I did the fan technique the results were much better. I'd give one of my side installs a b- and the second one an A+. I'll try to go back and clean up the edge like you suggested.

mvolke1

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 27, 2020, 09:48:24 am
    • My Pi-Powered Galaga-Thmed Bartop
« Reply #134 on: November 20, 2014, 01:01:06 pm »
Looking really good! Very cool build. Been enjoying the process  :applaud:
I'm with stupid.

grippie

• Offline Offline
  • Genesis Does
    • Optimus Meatron
« Reply #135 on: November 20, 2014, 01:30:12 pm »

Looking really good! Very cool build. Been enjoying the process  :applaud:
Thanks. I'm excited to show my best friend soon. I've been keeping it a secret this whole time and he should think it's cool. I'm working on a design for my next project which is helping him build a 2 player upright cab.

Found some insert nuts at Home Depot that will work. My local one didn't have them, but i found one that had the inserts with the larger threads that work with MDF. (PL1 approved!  :cheers: )Hopefully I can do a test this evening to see how best to mount the joystick.

This website was helpful to see the different thread types. http://www.jetpress.com/Products.aspx/14408/InsertNuts/
« Last Edit: November 20, 2014, 01:33:22 pm by grippie »

DeLuSioNal29

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 20, 2023, 11:39:06 pm
  • Build the impossible -"There is no Spoon"
    • DeLuSioNaL's YouTube Videos
« Reply #136 on: November 20, 2014, 08:48:49 pm »
Even if the cold cathode tubes were longer, you would still see each tube through the marquee since they are so bright.  You probably just need to diffuse the light to give it a more even spread.
Stop by my Youtube channel and leave a comment:

grippie

• Offline Offline
  • Genesis Does
    • Optimus Meatron
« Reply #137 on: November 20, 2014, 09:15:12 pm »
Even if the cold cathode tubes were longer, you would still see each tube through the marquee since they are so bright.  You probably just need to diffuse the light to give it a more even spread.
I'll have to start looking around for some frosted plastic or maybe i can rough sand the back of the plexi? I have some scrap left over that I can try it out on, just not sure if anyone has done that. Usually I see people painting, or adding in some form of frosted plastic material.

ChanceKJ

• Offline Offline
« Reply #138 on: November 20, 2014, 11:50:52 pm »
 :laugh: I just kept the one side of protective plastic on my marquee plastic.

I had played with using a sheet of vellum from my drafting supplies. Adding layers to adjust. Mind you I combined the plastic layer with localized LED lights and then also adjusted the hue with lighting gel samples.

...just use paper.

Malenko

• KNEEL BEFORE ZODlenko!
  • Trade Count: (+58)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 26, 2024, 07:29:48 pm
  • Have you played with my GingerBalls?
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,142404.msg1475162.html
« Reply #139 on: November 21, 2014, 07:43:09 am »
just put 2 pieces of blank printer paper  between the lights and the maquee
If you're replying to a troll you are part of the problem.
I also need to follow this advice. Ignore or report, don't reply.

grippie

• Offline Offline
  • Genesis Does
    • Optimus Meatron
« Reply #140 on: November 22, 2014, 08:35:41 pm »
Damn japanese buttons.  Got the pilot holes drilled for location but 30 and 24 mm buttons are just slightly oversized for 7/8 and 1 inch.    I'll have to head to lowes in the morning for a 15/16 and hope to find a 1-3/16 bit. :banghead: a dremel might help bore the holes but sadly I don't have one.   
« Last Edit: November 22, 2014, 09:16:02 pm by grippie »

grippie

• Offline Offline
  • Genesis Does
    • Optimus Meatron
« Reply #141 on: November 24, 2014, 09:28:05 am »
Damn Japanese buttons. I cut the 24mm button holes with a 15/16 spade with the screw tip and it made short work of the MDF. The 24mm seimitsu buttons fit perfectly. The problem is that they are too short, even for 1/2" MDF, so I had to drill out a recess in the back of the CP. Doing this on one of my previous posts worked great, but... :cry:  The player buttons overlapped on the bottom and I  just made a big mess so I'm going to take my router with the plunge base and clean it all up later. It doesn't need to be 6 closely spaced holes, I should have just routed out a big square section for them in the first place. Also I have a call in to santa to get me the Milwaukee rotary tool so I didn't want to buy anything expensive just yet. I picked up the $8 tool at harbor freight and used the drum sand bit to open up the 1-1/8" holes to fit the 30mm buttons. worked great for what it is, but definitely lacking in power.

Then I have to route out the recess for the joystick and since my cp is already glued and screwed, I don't have enough room for a template. It's freehand router time!!! I scribed a square where the joystick base will rest and practiced on a piece of scrap wood. The key part is the edges where the screws will go. They are very close to the edge of the S-Plate so that width has to be pretty close. I can set up guides on the side to make them clean.

Can't believe I didn't use our CNC shop to just create a metal CP. Oh well that's for my next build. Live and learn.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2014, 09:25:51 am by grippie »

grippie

• Offline Offline
  • Genesis Does
    • Optimus Meatron
« Reply #142 on: November 24, 2014, 03:03:23 pm »
Went home at lunch and quickly routered out the joystick recess as well as cleaned up the button recess. I did the joystick recess freehand, but took my time and it came out pretty nice. I used the small dremel tool to make the corners sharper (since the router bit is round...) and everything fit nicely. i'll wait till i get the CPO installed before I put the joystick screws in. Since my CPO has a round graphic, i want to make sure that the joystick is absolutely centered, or it will look terrible.

I should be able to get the CPO install and most, hopefully all, of the wiring done tonight.

Slippyblade

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 16, 2023, 11:39:51 am
  • And to the death god we say, "Not today!"
« Reply #143 on: November 24, 2014, 05:19:41 pm »
You routed joystick recesses on your lunch break?  Impressive!  I tend to eat on my break...  when I get one that is.

grippie

• Offline Offline
  • Genesis Does
    • Optimus Meatron
« Reply #144 on: November 24, 2014, 06:57:57 pm »
You routed joystick recesses on your lunch break?  Impressive!  I tend to eat on my break...  when I get one that is.
Haha.  Yea I may have skipped out a little early and had to eat gas station food but it was worth it so I can start the electrical stuff tonight. 

grippie

• Offline Offline
  • Genesis Does
    • Optimus Meatron
« Reply #145 on: November 24, 2014, 11:58:09 pm »
Got the CPO installed and the buttons and joystick mounted. The wife, who is now 8 months pregnant (which means I've been working on this  for 4 months although that's a blink of the eye on this forum)  :laugh2: , had me doing crazy husband stuff. Like making her waffles at 10pm... :dizzy:

Anyways it looks like i'm going to hold off on the electrical because I don't want to rush the process. I want a good amount of time without a lot of distractions so that I can take my time and not make any crazy mistakes. Imma channel my inner ChanceKJ to see if i can make some pretty wiring. We are going out of town for the holiday so I probably wont get a chance to finish it up for a week or so, but i'm very happy that I finally got the CPO put on and it turned out nice. (picture quality sucks, i'll get some good quality pics when I get it all finished)
« Last Edit: November 25, 2014, 12:00:29 am by grippie »

Superfrog

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 28, 2022, 10:39:08 am
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #146 on: November 25, 2014, 12:33:31 am »
Looks VERY sharp  :cheers:

opt2not

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 15, 2024, 07:31:21 pm
« Reply #147 on: November 25, 2014, 12:42:32 am »
I agree. I really like how the hardware colours goes really well with the CPO.   :applaud:

ChanceKJ

• Offline Offline
« Reply #148 on: November 25, 2014, 01:19:34 am »
Imma channel my inner ChanceKJ to see if i can make some pretty wiring. We are going out of town for the holiday so I probably wont get a chance to finish it up for a week or so, but i'm very happy that I finally got the CPO put on and it turned out nice. (picture quality sucks, i'll get some good quality pics when I get it all finished)

Patience is a virtue. So is being able to convince your wife that you being up for a couple hours each night at 3am is practice for when the kids born. But what your really doing is crimping wires and stapling little strips of Velcro tape to the inside of your cab.

I was a SNES guy myself (if you couldn't tell by my build history). But I'm loving this design. I like how it's a standard bartop, but the art is selling me on a sweet evolution from just slapping PNG files of Sonic and other random SEGA characters all over the place. Controls looks sweet too, well thought out for sure. Take your time and plan out that wire, you'll be glad you did.

Oh, and this thing begs to have a SNES counterpart.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2014, 01:21:06 am by ChanceKJ »

arcadeswede

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 28, 2022, 11:43:56 am
    • Revansch!
« Reply #149 on: November 25, 2014, 05:36:22 am »
Looks really good but don't rush it! It's all about patience and planning when having a baby and being a family. Family first. Always!
Take you're time and I'm sure this will end up looking really really good.

AzureKnight

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 29, 2022, 12:22:17 am
« Reply #150 on: November 25, 2014, 09:55:05 am »

Your CP came out very nice!   :applaud:

grippie

• Offline Offline
  • Genesis Does
    • Optimus Meatron
« Reply #151 on: November 25, 2014, 11:00:06 am »

Thanks everyone!

So is being able to convince your wife that you being up for a couple hours each night at 3am is practice for when the kids born. But what your really doing is crimping wires and stapling little strips of Velcro tape to the inside of your cab.
Awesome! She's a teacher and works almost an hour away so she goes to bed pretty early. Around 9 or 10pm is my time to get some work done, and sometimes I look up and it's quarter to 2:00 in the morning.  ;D

Looks really good but don't rush it! It's all about patience and planning when having a baby and being a family. Family first. Always!
Take you're time and I'm sure this will end up looking really really good.
Well said. I've wanted to build an arcade machine ever since I watched silver spoons back in the day. It will be cool when my boy is old enough to play with some of these old games.

gbeef

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 22, 2018, 03:32:26 pm
    • arcadepix.com
« Reply #152 on: November 25, 2014, 12:15:03 pm »
CP came out awesome man. looking SLICK!.... Time for a Nintendo one. HAHAHA

My cabs
4 Player Arcade
X-men Arcade Remixed
My Pin Cab Attack of the PINZ cab
My Racing Cabinet Cab [URL=http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=

grippie

• Offline Offline
  • Genesis Does
    • Optimus Meatron
« Reply #153 on: November 25, 2014, 01:29:18 pm »
Time for a Nintendo one. HAHAHA
Oh, and this thing begs to have a SNES counterpart.
I'm catching a theme here haha. I think a Nintendo cab would rock, but maybe I can just visit edekoning for some sega vs nintendo action (The Netherlands isn't really that far from Ohio...)

On a sad note, I'm pretty sure I screwed up my Keywiz.  :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

It won't recognize it at all on any computer. I must have crossed something up or got too aggressive when de-soldering the old solid core wires I had on there. Not excited about spending another 30 or so bucks on the same item, but I really worked the whole shazam! key into my layout. I still need to buy the mini SLG to polish off the cab, but we'll see.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2014, 01:32:05 pm by grippie »

severdhed

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 07, 2022, 04:45:32 pm
  • RIP Dinosaur Hippo
« Reply #154 on: November 25, 2014, 03:49:14 pm »
awesome build..the artwork is really sharp looking.   good job :applaud:
Current Projects:      Zak-Man | TMNT Pedestal | SNES Pi | N64 Odroid
Former Projects:     4 Player Showcase | Donkey Kong | iCade

grippie

• Offline Offline
  • Genesis Does
    • Optimus Meatron
« Reply #155 on: November 30, 2014, 12:05:01 pm »
I heard back from Randy at GGG and it seems like a bunch of dumbasses like myself have messed up the ECO boards. I should have left the solid core wire in there instead of desoldering them. Another lesson learned. The biggest lesson is to get the controller with screw terminals. I could have been done by now and saved me the 45 bucks it costs to order the new one.  :banghead:

markc74

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 11:59:15 am
  • Flipping out
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,137295.0.html
« Reply #156 on: November 30, 2014, 02:31:03 pm »
Looking pretty sweet chap. Always preferred the megadrive name to genesis (as it was in the UK) but this captures it perfectly.

Every interesting build has a few hiccups.  :cheers:

grippie

• Offline Offline
  • Genesis Does
    • Optimus Meatron
« Reply #157 on: December 01, 2014, 09:56:02 am »
Always preferred the megadrive name to genesis (as it was in the UK)
Mega Drive actually does go more in line with the way Sega named the old carts by memory. SMS 2 mega cartridges, then phantasy star (best game ever made) came out at 4, then strider hit 8 on the genesis and everyone lost their minds.

I love the global nature of this forum and seeing all the others that have the same love for these old games. Still..."Mega Drive Does What Nintendon't" doesn't have the same ring to it.  ;D

Malenko

• KNEEL BEFORE ZODlenko!
  • Trade Count: (+58)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 26, 2024, 07:29:48 pm
  • Have you played with my GingerBalls?
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,142404.msg1475162.html
« Reply #158 on: December 01, 2014, 10:00:13 am »
yeah Im from the states and I think MegaDrive / MegaCD sound cooler, but if I did a cab based on the system I'd have to call it a genesis too.

I just love the final artwork on this build, its very classy yet true to the original.
If you're replying to a troll you are part of the problem.
I also need to follow this advice. Ignore or report, don't reply.

grippie

• Offline Offline
  • Genesis Does
    • Optimus Meatron
« Reply #159 on: December 01, 2014, 10:10:30 am »
Thanks.

Once I get my new keywiz in and the CP all wired up i'll post some high-quality pics. I'm working on a Maximus Arcade theme using the same artwork style. I have hyperspin set up fully, but i'm not sure I like all the sprites dancing in your face. It covers up too much of the screen. It looks fancy, but too busy. Until I can try and slim it down and make a new theme, i'll stick with the simplicity and clean interface of MA.