Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Sega Genesis Bartop *** Complete - Now With Plans ***  (Read 99041 times)

grippie

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 10, 2022, 03:07:35 pm
  • Genesis Does
    • Optimus Meatron
Re: Sega Genesis Bartop
« Reply #40 on: September 26, 2014, 02:00:10 pm »
Thanks, it's nowhere near professional but this vector stuff is fun :laugh:

I'm playing around with side art. I started off real minimalist with just the box "grid" which is iconic. I didn't want to go full black because i thought it would all be too dark. Although I may go back and take everything down a few shades when I can see it all together. First one is very minimal with red brought in from the CPO. The other is more console-like tying into the CPO. it's only about 1/2 done but thoughts?

The first image is the super simple marquee I'm going for. don't want any cutesy names or anything like Super Segacade in this bartop!

Vigo

• the Scourage of Carpathia
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+24)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 21, 2024, 08:20:28 am
« Reply #41 on: September 26, 2014, 02:29:08 pm »
I like this, very focused with the theme. Keep it coming.  :applaud:

BTW, everytime i look at your avatar, I hear the words "Power Up" in my mind.  :P

AzureKnight

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 29, 2022, 12:22:17 am
« Reply #42 on: September 26, 2014, 02:50:39 pm »

Marquee is straightforward and nice looking.

For the side art I think I like the first one better.  The second one for some reason has a driving game feel to it...I don't know why, I just think of drivers when I see it.

yamatetsu

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 07:15:03 am
  • Just because.
« Reply #43 on: September 26, 2014, 03:14:24 pm »
Soo, just to give you an opposing opinion ... I think the second one is the way to go, it fits better to the theme. With the first one, you would have a CP that is looking console-like and the sides would be just flat. That does not fit so well.

I would use the second version, but ditch the logo. That (for me) somehow looks like it doesn't belong there. It's like you're looking at all those seamlessly integrated graphics, look at the the top and bam! there's this logo just floating there.

grippie

• Offline Offline
  • Genesis Does
    • Optimus Meatron
« Reply #44 on: September 26, 2014, 03:23:31 pm »
ha, yea I threw that logo on there at the last second. The grid area was just way too bland without anything up there so i may keep adding a few more levels and see how it goes. Thanks for all of the feedback. My joystick and buttons ordered from FA shipped super fast and should be here by tomorrow I hope!!! Time to actually go buy some wood and figure out how i'm going to save up the $150 bucks to get all this stuff printed from GOG. The wife has a pretty tight stranglehold on the wallet.  :hissy:

johnrt

« Reply #45 on: September 26, 2014, 04:02:44 pm »
I like this thread more and more!  :notworthy:

Superfrog

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 28, 2022, 10:39:08 am
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #46 on: September 26, 2014, 04:20:08 pm »
ha, yea I threw that logo on there at the last second. The grid area was just way too bland without anything up there so i may keep adding a few more levels and see how it goes. Thanks for all of the feedback. My joystick and buttons ordered from FA shipped super fast and should be here by tomorrow I hope!!! Time to actually go buy some wood and figure out how i'm going to save up the $150 bucks to get all this stuff printed from GOG. The wife has a pretty tight stranglehold on the wallet.  :hissy:

150 bucks for the printing?  :banghead: :dizzy:
My popeye stickers cost me 37 euro incl. shipping. and gloss laminated ..

Side v2 is also my go.

grippie

• Offline Offline
  • Genesis Does
    • Optimus Meatron
« Reply #47 on: September 26, 2014, 04:37:14 pm »

Yea I was looking at the costs and it adds up! I think the CPO will be the most important because GOG has a reputation for making clean and sturdy materials.

CPO   $33.99
Marquee $20.99 + $21.00 if I want it mounted on plexi
Side Panels  $63.99

and that's not including shipping...  :scared

mgb

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 21, 2024, 06:18:13 pm
  • North East, US
« Reply #48 on: September 26, 2014, 04:58:27 pm »
I like the second one for side art.
Actually I think it'd look if you actually built the side with texture to match the artwork.
Marquee is perfect. Maybe add red to pop it a little more

mgb

• Offline Offline
  • North East, US
« Reply #49 on: September 26, 2014, 05:05:10 pm »
I like the Sega logo up top.
There are cheaper sources than gog but you won't be disappointed with the quality.

johnrt

« Reply #50 on: September 26, 2014, 06:50:55 pm »

Side v2 is also my go.
Where did you get your artwork printed? .-)

Superfrog

• Offline Offline
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #51 on: September 27, 2014, 09:28:14 am »

Side v2 is also my go.
Where did you get your artwork printed? .-)

http://www.pixartprinting.co.uk/wide-format/printing-self-adhesive-pvc/car-motorcycle-adhesive/

fill in the format and see how much it's cost for you.  :cheers:

johnrt

« Reply #52 on: September 27, 2014, 09:34:53 am »

Superfrog

• Offline Offline
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #53 on: September 27, 2014, 02:58:33 pm »
http://www.pixartprinting.co.uk/wide-format/printing-self-adhesive-pvc/car-motorcycle-adhesive/
fill in the format and see how much it's cost for you.  :cheers:
Thanks! Will do that!  :applaud:

Did you order your Felix artwork stickers also at GoG?
And what did it cost there? because your bartop is the same size as me.

If I'm right, you from Europe, so it will cost you the same as I did spent for it.
The KISS artwork was 40 euro.. and TOP quality and fast delivery  :cheers:

johnrt

« Reply #54 on: September 27, 2014, 03:19:49 pm »
Did you order your Felix artwork stickers also at GoG?
And what did it cost there? because your bartop is the same size as me.

If I'm right, you from Europe, so it will cost you the same as I did spent for it.
The KISS artwork was 40 euro.. and TOP quality and fast delivery  :cheers:
Yes, I did order the Felix art from GoG, and it did cost 198 USD (that is 156 euro) . And you're right, I'm european, norwegian.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2014, 03:40:44 pm by johnrt »

markc74

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 11:59:15 am
  • Flipping out
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,137295.0.html
« Reply #55 on: September 27, 2014, 03:45:33 pm »
hi. Not usually a fan of console based designs bit because its a bartop and has the proper name (genesis Pfft) then this is looking pretty good.

Because it's a slim can I don't think the sides need much embellishment so I prefer the first sideart. Control panel gets an a+ as it is :applaud:

grippie

• Offline Offline
  • Genesis Does
    • Optimus Meatron
« Reply #56 on: September 27, 2014, 06:02:24 pm »
Awww yea!!! Really impressed with Focus Attack with this first order. There is a great incentive program and I already have a $20 coupon to order again. These buttons feel so nice and the LS-32 is so smooth. Can't wait to get this going!
« Last Edit: September 27, 2014, 06:04:01 pm by grippie »

mgb

• Offline Offline
  • North East, US
« Reply #57 on: September 28, 2014, 09:35:26 am »
I have ordered twice from focus attack, they are great

grippie

• Offline Offline
  • Genesis Does
    • Optimus Meatron
« Reply #58 on: October 01, 2014, 04:27:39 pm »
I was playing around with the design and making some final tweaks before the construction begins next week. I pieced together a render to see how i liked the artwork and it's pretty cool i think. (the gap on the CP is just because I had to split the image. not sure how to wrap an image around a surface like that in my software.)

Superfrog

• Offline Offline
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #59 on: October 01, 2014, 05:23:35 pm »
Go for it  :applaud:

edekoning

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 10, 2022, 02:21:38 pm
« Reply #60 on: October 02, 2014, 07:07:28 am »
Looking good!

Seems like you are using sketchup. If so set the camera in perspective mode (looks like parallel projection to me). Adding a texture to a curved surface is surprisingly hard to do, as you have to apply it to a dummy plane, and then project it onto the final surface. See here for an excellent tutorial:

grippie

• Offline Offline
  • Genesis Does
    • Optimus Meatron
« Reply #61 on: October 02, 2014, 11:01:11 am »
Cool thanks. I've used sketchup a bit and it's really nice for what it is but i'm using my companies expensive CAD system (It's called NX from Siemens)  I had a perspective view attached previously, but it takes on the colors of the materials of the solid bodies. Thanks, i'll check out that tutorial and export a step or iges file into sketchup and see what I can do.

grippie

• Offline Offline
  • Genesis Does
    • Optimus Meatron
« Reply #62 on: October 02, 2014, 04:00:26 pm »
hmmm T-molding question. I have 1/2" sidepanels right now and i've only seen black and white T-molding which is fine since I was planning on white. However T-molding.com is out of white right now. I thought about bumping my sidepanels up to 3/4" like originally mentioned by edekoning for a more stable and beefier look to the bartop. It also doesn't affect the design at all since it just becomes thicker towards the outside. This opens up other colors of molding, specifically light grey. http://www.t-molding.com/store/product.php?productid=25&cat=3&page=1 Should I stick with white to make the lettering pop, or maybe mute it down a little with this grey?

go up to 3/4 on the sides?
molding color: white? grey? black?

Slippyblade

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 16, 2023, 11:39:51 am
  • And to the death god we say, "Not today!"
« Reply #63 on: October 02, 2014, 04:32:26 pm »
Honestly, with all the black and grays you've got going on I think chrome T-mold would just pop.  Or maybe the black w/chrome stripe?

stinkyrob

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 17, 2023, 02:52:21 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #64 on: October 02, 2014, 04:42:16 pm »
I really like the CP and overall theme.  Keep the updates coming, thanks! 

edekoning

• Offline Offline
« Reply #65 on: October 03, 2014, 02:20:45 am »
Copy paste your 3d model a few times and apply a different color t-molding to each of them. Seeing them all side by side, its far easier to make a decision. Furthermore, order a set of t-molding samples, to make sure the color is what you expect.

grippie

• Offline Offline
  • Genesis Does
    • Optimus Meatron
« Reply #66 on: October 07, 2014, 05:35:44 pm »
OK, today's the big day. Not only is it my Birthday,  :gobama but I cut into my first piece of MDF this afternoon. I took my time in putting the lines down and trying to cut out all of the long edges first. I then used my jigsaw to cut out the rounded corners and then finish up the inside edge that is parallel to the monitor. This is where my jigsaw skills failed me. When i made the round from the top, the blade was at a slight angle and cut too much into the wood. After sanding for about 1/2 hour, I was able to get it all square so no harm done there. I did a much better job on rounding all of the edges. After some more finish sanding, i'll use the flush trim bit trick with the router to make the second sidepanel and then cut out all of the easier rectangular pieces tomorrow!

Oh yea I took the whole week off, so stay tuned for some updates :lol

Slippyblade

• Offline Offline
« Reply #67 on: October 07, 2014, 05:54:28 pm »
I know it's a little late now, but NEVER cut to the line with a jig saw.  Always cut to the waste side and then sand back to the line. 

grippie

• Offline Offline
  • Genesis Does
    • Optimus Meatron
« Reply #68 on: October 07, 2014, 06:26:49 pm »
I figured doing a drop cut with my circ saw would have been trickier.  Makes sense to go wide and sand back to the line.  Thanks for the tip. 

Slippyblade

• Offline Offline
« Reply #69 on: October 07, 2014, 06:41:51 pm »
Circular saw plunge cuts can be scary as hell.  Make good and sure you know what's under the wood and it's NOT your knee!   >:D  Good job on the panels though.

grippie

• Offline Offline
  • Genesis Does
    • Optimus Meatron
« Reply #70 on: October 07, 2014, 08:26:09 pm »
Happy Birthday!
Thanks! It's been a good day and I just found a woodworking shop in Ohio less than an hour from me that has slot cutting router bits for 12 bucks. They look to be the same as the ones I found online so it's road trip time tomorrow morning. That takes care of one of my unknown problems for getting a lot of progress done this week. With the slots cut I can at least finish the construction and hopefully do some painting by the weekend. I'd like to have the artwork in before I finish the CP, but I have a lot to do before then. I bought some cabinet hinges so I can have a nice clean CP opening. We'll see how that all goes!

grippie

• Offline Offline
  • Genesis Does
    • Optimus Meatron
« Reply #71 on: October 08, 2014, 11:36:40 pm »
Spent a lot of today cutting out pieces of MDF. One thing I will tell anyone who is getting ready to do this is listen to everyone when they say WEAR A MASK. Holy crap this stuff is dusty. I covered as much as I could in the garage with painters drop cloths, but it is super dusty, especially when flush trimming with the router. I only had a few missteps that were remedied with some sand paper.  :gobama

1. Flush trimming the 2nd side panel. At first I had too much material still on the 2nd piece and it was too much work for the flush trim bit. I used my jigsaw to carefully trim back as close as I could to the template piece, being careful not to nick it or undercut.

2. Everything cut out!!!

3. While all this was going on I had these bad boys smoking out back. 5 hours of some apple and hickory made for an awesome turkey leg dinner! :cheers:

4. I was done cutting for the day so I decided to play with some of the electrical bits. I took the test cardboard model apart and unhooked the whole computer. I kept the on switch from the old PC and noticed that the hard disk access light was red!!! Unfortunately the hookup for the hard disk access and the on light were different, and the on light was blue... So I split them apart and wired the red LED to the power light connector. I'm going to try and put this down where the power light is on the front of the CPO. hopefully it looks cool.

5. Pic of the light after soldering them together. It's super bright red, but pictures don't really pick up LED color.

6. Well the wife is in bed so no more noise. I decided to play with where the battens will go and making sure all of my cuts look good.

More to follow tomorrow.

grippie

• Offline Offline
  • Genesis Does
    • Optimus Meatron
« Reply #72 on: October 09, 2014, 11:31:45 am »
Decided against cutting the T-molding slot just yet. Since I don't have the T-molding in (just ordered it from T-molding.com) i'm unsure if i'm exactly in the middle with the slot. Even measuring is proving difficult because being off by a fraction of a millimeter will make it look off-center. I'l work on getting the battens installed and fitting everything together today. I'll then tear it down and wait for the t-molding. Then I can use a scrap piece to do a test fit. By that time i'll be ready for some painting :applaud:

grippie

• Offline Offline
  • Genesis Does
    • Optimus Meatron
« Reply #73 on: October 11, 2014, 04:56:26 pm »

Some more progress photos.

1 - I created the angle between the top and upper part of the back. This allows the back panel to be nice and square and not have a big seam between it and the top.
2 - I bought a forstner bit set and mounted the hinges for the front panel. I got full overlay cabinet hinges so the CP can butt up against the bottom panel and then swing open.
3 - cleaning up the edges with the router
4 - I highly suggest one of these angle finder tools. Found it at Lowes for 5 bucks. so much better than trying to measure angles
5 - Here is the main cab before I installed the hinges.

I also mounted the monitor mount but that was a giant pain to line up. T-molding will be here Tuesday so i'll take it all apart and cut the slots, then get it sanded and ready for painting. I'm also trying to finish up the artwork to get printed, but I am unsure about the USB and volume section. I thought about putting a volume control knob down there but it isn't really needed. I can just do volume control with shift + up or shift + down.

For USB i was thinking something like this. It's a combo version of the normally single USB hookup. I need these things figured out to complete the artwork.

http://www.amazon.com/U3-103-combo-Female-Extension-Cable/dp/B00H94QGJO/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1413060489&sr=8-2&keywords=usb+combo+panel

edekoning

• Offline Offline
« Reply #74 on: October 12, 2014, 02:55:36 pm »
Good progress -> looking good man  :applaud:

grippie

• Offline Offline
  • Genesis Does
    • Optimus Meatron
« Reply #75 on: October 13, 2014, 10:19:47 am »
Good progress -> looking good man  :applaud:
Thanks! The hardest part so far has been figuring out the order of operations. Being a bartop, there's far less room to maneuver than a stand up. Figuring out the order of battens vs panels to go in has been a bit tough. I found out that the cabinet hinges for the CP will have to be put onto the base piece before the base is screwed into the battens. Otherwise I can't get them tight enough. It's impossible to adjust the screws when the CP is closed since it folds to cover the hinges.  :banghead: .

grippie

• Offline Offline
  • Genesis Does
    • Optimus Meatron
« Reply #76 on: October 17, 2014, 07:04:50 pm »
get a ratchet screwdriver, tighten it from the back.

like this one: http://www.zoro.com/i/G2284493/
Thanks, that looks useful! Figured out that i just had to reverse the order of the hinge being screwed in. I could easily get it from the back to screw into the front of the CP. Getting a little worried that i'm screwing and unscrewing the battens and everything too much for MDF. Now I can see why everyone test fits before glueing.

Small update.

1 - Got the T-molding slot cut and it fits pretty nicely in the test piece.
2 - had to rethink my rear hinge. got a non mortise type of cabinet hinge to make sure it opens properly. (the room inside this thing is shrinking quickly!!!)
3 - Shouldn't have trouble working on this guy when it's all said and done.

few things left to do before i start painting. Still working on a usb solution. Figure i'm going to just use some extensions and fit them into some clean slots. Really want to get the artwork finished. I'm also going to de-solder the pot on my amp so i can maybe put a volume knob up front. My buddy also found a broken genesis that we might also take apart and try and use the volume slider and reset button or power switch on it.

My buddy is also an electrical guy, which i am not, so he's going to help me do the cheap smart strip I saw on the forum to get the PSU all hooked up. pretty awesome.

also the marquee lighting. I know that some people just use cold cathode and others use inexpensive lighting from HD, but I haven't figure out what to get. I saw the one from GGG with the LED's but that may be a bit of overkill for a bartop...

rablack97

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 11, 2022, 06:50:10 pm
  • If you don't try, you have no chance at innovation
« Reply #77 on: October 18, 2014, 01:33:52 am »
get a ratchet screwdriver, tighten it from the back.

like this one: http://www.zoro.com/i/G2284493/
Thanks, that looks useful! Figured out that i just had to reverse the order of the hinge being screwed in. I could easily get it from the back to screw into the front of the CP. Getting a little worried that i'm screwing and unscrewing the battens and everything too much for MDF. Now I can see why everyone test fits before glueing.

OR this thing, bartop builders best friend.

stavros693000

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 14, 2022, 05:33:15 pm
  • I built my own arcade machine
« Reply #78 on: October 20, 2014, 03:27:32 am »
great progress so far mate, its coming along nicely. judging by your pics it looks very neat,...
you got skill friend :applaud:
looking foward to seeing more progress
cheers :cheers:
my first build classic style upright cabinet..... MARVELOUS FIGHTER (FINISHED) http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,133066.0.html

grippie

• Offline Offline
  • Genesis Does
    • Optimus Meatron
« Reply #79 on: October 20, 2014, 11:22:40 pm »
Thanks stavros, appreciate it.

I was able to do some of the minor cleanup stuff today.

1 - I decided to make my own marquee out of the left over plexi. I broke the line about 1/8 inch larger than where i wanted my finish cut and used my router with a flush trim bit to clean it up. Came out really clean. (the jaggies in the pic are from the plastic protective layer), I cut the aluminum angle today using my miter saw with a 60T blade. Worked perfectly fine. I got the angle that is 3/4 x 1/2 so the part hanging over the marquee is smaller than where the screws will go.
2 - Found some USB panel mounts that i can use for the front of the CPO. I'll try some test fits to see if i can get a flush mount working.
3 - Finally got the monitor mounted, but it's about 2mm off center.  :banghead:  I wasn't really happy with the way the mount came out anyways, I'm going to redo it tomorrow and center it.
4 - My design called for a small rabbet cut with the router to slide the plexi up into the speaker mount. This keeps it in place and makes a really nice clean line. it looks like it's at an angle in the pic, but it actually looks really clean with the plexi in place. (besides everything being filthy from routing MDF :blah: I'm going to add in a stop at the bottom (under the control panel) for the plexi to rest on. It will be squeezed by the cpo and rabbet cutout at the top.

power switch will be here tomorrow, and lighting on thursday. My plan is to do some painting this weekend :applaud:
« Last Edit: October 21, 2014, 09:18:17 am by grippie »