Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Sega Genesis Bartop *** Complete - Now With Plans ***  (Read 99063 times)

grippie

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 10, 2022, 03:07:35 pm
  • Genesis Does
    • Optimus Meatron
Sega Genesis Bartop *** Complete - Now With Plans ***
« on: August 28, 2014, 08:58:09 pm »
Well I am marking this guy finished. It turned out way cooler than I ever thought and I want to thank all of the great comments and help over the last few months. Can't wait to get started on my next project, a 2-player stand up. More pics are located at the end of the thread.

***NEW ***
PDF plans are now available attached to this thread. They are all 1:1 so you can try to print them full scale for tracing, or use the plans to draw on the wood. They are dual dimensioned so that it includes both Inch and Millimeter. They are shown as     in [mm]

I also exported a DWG file from my cad system which is the only format that is compatible with sketchup. It's in the zip file below. It works but it's not perfect.

*** Start original post ***[Insert generic intro here. Long time listener, first time caller]

I'm excited to finally put saw to wood here soon and thought I could announce what I have going on. The wife, who is currently 4 months pregnant,  :cheers: put the stop to my man cave construction.  :banghead: So basically my full-size will have to wait. BUT I realized that a bartop will be just as fun to build, and since it's slightly portable, I can move it around for parties and play around with jukebox software. 

So here are my thoughts...

1. SEEEEEGAAAAA
   There have been a few classic Nintendo builds with the iconic coloring and themes, see http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,133712.0.html . for an amazing example, but there has been little done with my beloved SEGA (sans the current outrun driver by johnrt !).

2.Primary Focus is 80's & 90's (Genesis, Master System, NES,SNES,TG16,MAME) Consoles & Arcade games (Shinobi, Rastan, Strider etc.) Not a fan of 2 player co-op on bartops. I'll save that for my full size.

3. System Specs
   Motherboard:   ASUS M4A785-M. Has onboard HD4200 graphcis card which has rocked anything i've thrown at it. (again, I'm not looking to play street fighter or any dreamcast or newer games)
   Processor:   AMD Athlon II X2 245 Dual-Core 2.9GHz (old NAS server looks to be perfect for my bartop)
   Memory:       NAS had 4 GB. Overkill but you know...
   HDD:      1TB WD HDD
   Speakers:   Ripped apart an old gateway 2000  :laugh2: speaker set that had a built in amp and sounds pretty good. Not sure if i should spend the 25 bucks and upgrade this and/or get a small sub for some of those boomin soundtracks (golden axe titlescreen  8) )

4. Construction
   planning to use 1/2 inch MDF for most of the cabinet construction. Was worried that this would be too thin or light, but seems like a lot of people build their bartops out of 1/2". I started with the weecade design, which it seems that everyone does now days, but I wasn't feeling the giant curve in the front. I have a 19" monitor and when adjusting for the size, it became too deep when the curve and speaker panel met up. I like the understated lines of this design, but am open for suggestions. The marquee area can possibly get shorter, but i'll have to mock it up out of cardboard and see how much room the speakers take up.

Mockup in my CAD system (I'm a cad admin, I used to do design work awhile back)

So I was wondering if the slanted back that is usually found on the weecade (on the left) made it difficult to flush mount the power supply on the rear? I made a perpendicular back (on the right) but don't like it as much. I could just use an adapter like this http://www.amazon.com/Inlet-Module-Switch-Socket-IEC320/dp/B0050HH70E/ref=pd_cp_e_1

5. Artwork
   The Sega Genesis is my inspiration for the artwork. I don't have any completed artwork, but I'm hoping that someone will throw some advice my way.

something along the lines of the classic controller for the cp graphics. (this one is very dark, i'll mock up a vector version in inkscape for the final)

a version of the genesis that is good for ideas on embellishments. (i'm not using this artwork as it is not mine, i'm just using it for examples)

6. Requirements to be met

1 player bartop with a clean CP,
   needs to play most games from the SNES (4 buttons) and genesis era (3 and then 6 buttons). Since the 6 button controller was primarily for fighting games, i'm not sure that i need 6. I wish i could get away with the old genesis look of 3 buttons (see cp image above) but it won't due if i can't play 1/2 the SNES games. Also most arcade games form this time period rarely use more than 3 buttons. Jump, attack, magic or punch kick jump. I could marry the diamond shape of the SNES with the 3 button of the genesis, but I might just put 6 buttons on there in the curved street fighter style to give it the most flexibility. I'm really looking to make the theme as genesis as possible without frankenpaneling in nes/snes coloring or designs. The 6 player genesis controller isn't as sexy as the clean original, but I may try to merge the two.

« Last Edit: March 24, 2015, 04:45:56 pm by grippie »

TheDude

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 17, 2017, 03:02:28 pm
  • Bartops all the way !
    • BARTOPMANIA
Re: Sega Genesis Bartop
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2014, 03:36:46 am »
Looks like you're off to a nice project !  :applaud:

edekoning

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 10, 2022, 02:21:38 pm
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2014, 04:17:18 am »
Whoohoo a Sega themed bartop  :applaud:

The Mega Drive (as it was called in Europe) is actually my favorite console. But I still went with a NES theme, because I wanted a whitish cab, and not another black one  ;D

1/2 inch MDF is fine, as a bartop is relatively small, and besides the screen all the internal components way next to nothing. I would go with 3/4" for the sides though, just because I looks better.

As far as the design goes, I think it looks a bit to thin near the top of the screen. Have you tried adding an inch or two to the depth? You probably will need the current marquee depth for your speakers. But if the overall depth of the cab is increased than it won't stand out as much.

If you were to flush mount the power supply to the rear, how will the screen get its power? Lots of builds have used a power inlet similar to the one you linked. They work great.

Artwork wise, I hope you will keep the style of the traditional 3-button controller. Some things to consider regarding the required number of buttons:
  • nes - 4 buttons: start select a b
  • snes - 8 buttons: start select a b x y l r (don't forget about the shoulder buttons)
  • genesis - 4 buttons: start a b c
  • genesis - 8 buttons: start a b c x y z mode (probably not needed when using an emulator)
So the cleanest control panel will probably be when going for the 3-button genesis controller. But you will miss out on a lot of genesis games, not just the fighters. Most snes games will also not be playable. Unless you add some USB ports so you can hook up a pair of gamepads. I always find the CP layout to be among the hardest things you have to decide.

Looking forwards to your progress  :cheers:

edekoning

• Offline Offline
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2014, 04:20:38 am »
Ah I forgot to mention 'Sega Mega Drive/Genesis: Collected Works' http://readonlymemory.vg/sega-mega-drive-genesis-collected-works. If you are a genesis fan, than you need to get this book!
Although its from a kickstarter project, you can also pre-order it from the website I just linked. Expected delivery next month :)

Malenko

• KNEEL BEFORE ZODlenko!
  • Trade Count: (+58)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 26, 2024, 07:29:48 pm
  • Have you played with my GingerBalls?
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,142404.msg1475162.html
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2014, 07:57:33 am »
Id advise the "street fighter layout"   then you can have 2 "start buttons" up top in the middle, and one will function as the select button. That will cover all the early consoles with ease.
If you're replying to a troll you are part of the problem.
I also need to follow this advice. Ignore or report, don't reply.

grippie

• Offline Offline
  • Genesis Does
    • Optimus Meatron
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2014, 09:25:37 am »
Thanks for the remarks guys.

@edekoning excellent! I'll have to check out that book. I saw this one and almost snatched it. http://www.amazon.com/Service-Games-Rise-Enhanced-Edition/dp/1494288354/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1409317768&sr=8-1&keywords=history+of+sega

As far as the design goes, I think it looks a bit to thin near the top of the screen. Have you tried adding an inch or two to the depth? You probably will need the current marquee depth for your speakers. But if the overall depth of the cab is increased than it won't stand out as much.

I agree about the sidepanels being 3/4 inch. It will give them a bit more presence and make it beefier by the monitor. Since I removed the big curve of the weecade design I can see where it looks a bit thin. I'll play around with some things. (make the radius bigger, try a chamfer, increase the depth, etc)

I love the clean look of @edekoning's NES bartop design and wanted to originally do a complimentary sega master system theme (my favorite console with the best game ever PHANTASY STAR) I decided on Genesis because of the controller and the classic look. I'll try to mock something up to expand the 3 button classic controller to 6 buttons to see if i like it. (the 6 button controller is great but boring as hell from a design standpoint)

Id advise the "street fighter layout"   then you can have 2 "start buttons" up top in the middle, and one will function as the select button. That will cover all the early consoles with ease.

Exactly what I was thinking! I want noobs to be able to figure it out. basically start 1 and start 2/select keeps it clean and functional.

I've seen 100's of discussions on admin buttons, but i'll have to mock up a CP and get a feel for it. I'm ordering some push buttons today. I'm thinking the gloss black ones, but i'm not sure if they will get lost in a dark theme, or if that's maybe actually a good thing.

edekoning

• Offline Offline
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2014, 09:44:47 am »
I love the clean look of @edekoning's NES bartop design and wanted to originally do a complimentary sega master system theme (my favorite console with the best game ever PHANTASY STAR).
The North American Master System does look really good with all the angular cuts and black and red colors. Unfortunately the PAL version is just awful.

I'm ordering some push buttons today. I'm thinking the gloss black ones, but i'm not sure if they will get lost in a dark theme, or if that's maybe actually a good thing.

You could also go with smoke buttons, f.e. these seimitsu's which come in 30mm and 24mm:

Note that the plunger has a solid white cap inside. You can spray paint this to achieve a darker color of grey if needed. I did something similar with my Magneto build: http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,119175.msg1324580.html#msg1324580

emphatic

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 05:12:09 pm
  • -"Suck it, Donny!" -"No, YOU suck it.... more".
    • Emphatic's Video Game Collection
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2014, 07:57:20 am »
^^Or go with clear Seimitsus with coloured rims? This way, the buttons are visible, either by the graphic insert (optional) or with the rim colour.

Superfrog

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 28, 2022, 10:39:08 am
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2014, 09:16:37 am »
^^Or go with clear Seimitsus with coloured rims? This way, the buttons are visible, either by the graphic insert (optional) or with the rim colour.

I did use these smoke buttons on my MameCade 2.0 and with a graphic insert they look even better then the clear one I did use on my MameCade 1.

I like the cp mockup the best.. when you gonna use Mame and Genesis games, it will do the job just fine with 3 action buttons.
My first build had 4 buttons and worked fine for me.
My second had 6 buttons, and I never used them all... don't play fighters.

My Popeye had 3 action buttons and under the cp there was more, maybe you can hide those other buttons also to keep the cp very clean and NICE  :cheers:

Even better would be that you can find a small start button just like the cp mock-up  :dizzy:

« Last Edit: August 30, 2014, 09:37:12 am by Superfrog »

grippie

• Offline Offline
  • Genesis Does
    • Optimus Meatron
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2014, 10:11:04 am »
I think I'll try out the 3 button layout first.  I like the idea of being able to put an insert in the button since the classic genesis controllers had red lettering on the buttons forA B C. I'll check out those smoked ones, they look cool.   I finished my cardboard mockup last night.  I need to order some actual arcade gear now!

grippie

• Offline Offline
  • Genesis Does
    • Optimus Meatron
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2014, 02:16:07 pm »
Quick update while deciding on controls. It's a holiday weekend in the states and everything is closed. I'll place my order tonight. I might get standard buttons just to get the CP figured out and then try to see if i can sport it up. (like creating the genesis thin start button)

My beautiful mess. Cardboard mockup. It feels right, but i'll have to wait to get controls on the panel. I have the monitor placed in the mockup now by creating a small tripod out of wood to hold it at the right height and angle.

my SEGA street cred  :cheers:

laying out the side panels. I printed my cad drawing 1:1 scale to make it easy

I created some battens by doubling up some cardboard to hold the panels in place.

ballboff

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 20, 2020, 04:27:54 am
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2014, 05:19:56 am »
Just a suggestion, but I would honestly go with the megadrive arcade stick design for your controller.  The one pictured here ... is as near to a genuine stick as you can get while still getting that megadrive styling you want for your themed cab.

http://www.genkivideogames.com/images/SJ6600shots.jpg

grippie

• Offline Offline
  • Genesis Does
    • Optimus Meatron
« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2014, 10:14:59 am »
Just a suggestion, but I would honestly go with the megadrive arcade stick design for your controller.
I looked at doing that initially. I'm leaning more towards the 3 button US version here http://www.i64x.com/i6img/3btn02.jpg since I looked over almost every game I want to play on the bartop, and 95% of them were 3 buttons or less. The other 5% had an aux button that I can do without, or configure B+C to be button 4. When I build my standup I'll make it a 2 player fighter friendly cab.

I got my buttons and joystick in from GroovyGameGear (they came in pretty quickly too, even with a holiday Monday I got them on Friday!) unfortunately, the pregnant wife has lots of projects for me that I had to do over the weekend before I could "Play with my buttons" as she likes to say.

I wanted to get some inexpensive but quality buttons. I got the happ competition, because i like convex buttons for longer play periods. The microswitch's are a tad soft and the happ competition joystick I got has a short throw. I'm building a non-fighter cab and freakin bought all fighting game equipment. Anyways. I'll probably upgrade the buttons to what the other suggested but i wanted to get the spacing and feel sorted out so I could start cutting wood. I've always preferred bat top joysticks but I think I may have to go with a ball top after seeing the official sega stick. (Found them online for under 10 bucks, wonder if i could gut one and use some of it. The buttons with red ABC on it would be sweet ! plus it has the small buttons I'm looking for.)

I got the keywiz eco to save a few dollars, and since it's a bartop i only had to solder like 10 wires. I plugged that into a terminal block because I have no idea where my wires would need to go and this should help keep it tidy. The keywiz wasn't loading up the right profile and I fought with the software for about 30 minutes but I think it's loading OK now. It was 1 am on a work night so I had to stop.

My temporary mess below. I ran out of quick disconnects and bought the wrong wire (solid core) so it's not as nice as it could be. i just wanted to get something to work! I'll spend time when I can actually mount the stuff to wood to make it all clean and nice. Once I get a feel for the layout and figure out what other buttons I want ill start pulling out the wood tools!

a1pharm

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 25, 2024, 09:22:48 pm
  • Planning and preparation prevents problems
« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2014, 12:53:37 pm »
Why not buy:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sega-Genesis-Controller-Adapter-USB-Cable-to-PC-Retro-Bit-New-Dual-Port-Cable-/351166934390?pt=US_Video_Game_Cables_Adapters&hash=item51c32e2d76

and make the female sega controller ports flush w/ the cab, and use real sega 3 button controller(s)?  Then you have a little more flexibility w/ your CP design.

ballboff

• Offline Offline
« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2014, 08:47:42 am »
I'm leaning more towards the 3 button US version here http://www.i64x.com/i6img/3btn02.jpg since I looked over almost every game I want to play on the bartop, and 95% of them were 3 buttons or less. The other 5% had an aux button that I can do without, or configure B+C to be button 4. When I build my standup I'll make it a 2 player fighter friendly cab.

I know what you mean.  My cab only has about 2 games that have 6 buttons, and they are fighting games.  There may be more but I've not come across them yet.  I couldn't load up the picture, but i'm at work so it's probably a firewall issue with the hosting site. 

Malenko

• KNEEL BEFORE ZODlenko!
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #15 on: September 10, 2014, 09:15:29 am »
4th button makes all the neogeo games playable.   I only advocated 6 buttons since the OP explicitly stated SNES as a system he wanted to emulate.

grippie

• Offline Offline
  • Genesis Does
    • Optimus Meatron
« Reply #16 on: September 10, 2014, 03:20:33 pm »
Thanks guys, i'm in the process of messing around with the button layout to see if it will play all or a great % of the games I want to play. Even most SNES games only used 3 or 4 buttons. I'll have to go through them and see. I might add a 2nd row of buttons and just add in the fighters in the end!.

I had planned to include some front panel USB ports for controllers so that a 2nd person could play. That old school hookup looks cool thought and old controllers are cheap (My old ones are pretty beat up at this point)

grippie

• Offline Offline
  • Genesis Does
    • Optimus Meatron
« Reply #17 on: September 20, 2014, 08:22:20 pm »
So i'm playing around with some artwork for the CPO and I like where i'm going but i'm no artist. I might peruse the artist forums, but i didn't really budget an extra two hundred or so dollars to get something custom designed. Seems like artwork and printing it out are some of the major costs of a build. My CP has the keywiz shift button built in. this way i can have the two buttons in the middle (start / select) the wording is just temporary. I can use the shift for 2 player and 2 coin and use it for exiting. the back button is the mame pause (again wording was just thrown in there for an image.)

the horizontal lines are where the image will bend around the CP and to the front.

let me know what you think and where i'm headed. And please no bashing my skillz, i'm trying :dizzy:

Slippyblade

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 16, 2023, 11:39:51 am
  • And to the death god we say, "Not today!"
« Reply #18 on: September 20, 2014, 08:36:35 pm »
 :lame:

I'm joking, relax.

Though I'd really go with the six button genesis layout.

Malenko

• KNEEL BEFORE ZODlenko!
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #19 on: September 20, 2014, 10:18:56 pm »
Though I'd really go with the six button genesis layout.

Im with slippy

grippie

• Offline Offline
  • Genesis Does
    • Optimus Meatron
« Reply #20 on: September 20, 2014, 11:16:07 pm »
:lame:

Haha. It'd be easy to go with 6 but I figured a bartop would be good in a simpler is better way.   I'll play around with it though.   

Slippyblade

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 16, 2023, 11:39:51 am
  • And to the death god we say, "Not today!"
« Reply #21 on: September 21, 2014, 01:09:09 am »
I was a total Genesis whore back in the day.  Used to play Aerobiz for days at a time with my friends.

edekoning

• Offline Offline
« Reply #22 on: September 21, 2014, 06:16:51 am »
What's up with the coin button? Consoles did not have those :P might as well use shift+start for that. I am also not that fond of the gradient, I would just go with a solid color. What is the width of the CP, as those A,B,C buttons seem kinda small (are those outlines the holes or the actual buttons)?

Really like usb/headphone section. Would we really nice if you could insert a red led beneath the power indicator (see Blip for an example: http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,137295.msg1451868.html#msg1451868).

grippie

• Offline Offline
  • Genesis Does
    • Optimus Meatron
« Reply #23 on: September 21, 2014, 10:40:57 am »
What's up with the coin button? Consoles did not have those :P might as well use shift+start for that. I am also not that fond of the gradient, I would just go with a solid color. What is the width of the CP, as those A,B,C buttons seem kinda small (are those outlines the holes or the actual buttons)?
haha. Yea i just threw text in there for a visual. I realized that it should be more console-centric and then mame secondary. So it would be start select to be mroe console like, but maybe have the smaller coin or $ symbol below it. I wasn't sure about the gradients and did that part last. I def want to tighten that up or get some advice about it. Thanks.

What is the width of the CP, as those A,B,C buttons seem kinda small (are those outlines the holes or the actual buttons)?
16.5 inches wide. Yea those are the through holes for the buttons (1-1/8" diameter). I can put the 1.3 or whatever the diameter of the bezel is on the
 smoke buttons that you recommended. I love those and am going to use them. Not sure if i should use the 24 mm ones for the admin buttons on top and the 30 for the player buttons. thoughts on the 24mm ones?

Would we really nice if you could insert a red led beneath the power indicator (see Blip for an example: http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,137295.msg1451868.html#msg1451868).
when I was making the power button area i thought about doing the LED for that. i'll check that post out, thanks.

I was a total Genesis whore back in the day.  Used to play Aerobiz for days at a time with my friends.
Nice, it's one of the first games I tried when the test joystick and buttons were in place.  :cheers:

grippie

• Offline Offline
  • Genesis Does
    • Optimus Meatron
« Reply #24 on: September 22, 2014, 11:15:21 pm »
Here's some updated artwork. I had to start over because the file i was working on was the wrong ratio :banghead:

I updated a few colors and made the bezels for the seimitsu smoke buttons that I think i'm going to order. Thought the LS-32 balltop would go nice with this too. They have a smoke ball with bubbles in it that should be sweet.

Superfrog

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 28, 2022, 10:39:08 am
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #25 on: September 23, 2014, 01:30:46 am »
Very nice artwork.
Smoke buttons YES, but the smoke ball NO  :dizzy:.

For me it's a classic black ball, the bubble ball will look to kiddy or silly with this classic sega look.  :cheers:

grippie

• Offline Offline
  • Genesis Does
    • Optimus Meatron
« Reply #26 on: September 23, 2014, 08:38:32 am »
Thanks for the input. You just saved me 4 bucks  :woot

I wasn't sure about the bubble smoke balltop. This one looks cool but it may be too light colored for the CPO http://www.focusattack.com/sanwa-lb-35-translucent-smoke-balltop/ I think i'll stick with the black one that comes with the LS-32 and can always upgrade to something later.

edekoning

• Offline Offline
« Reply #27 on: September 23, 2014, 09:01:47 am »
Wow such a huge improvement :applaud:

I would also go with a pure black balltop, but hey you can always change that later.

grippie

• Offline Offline
  • Genesis Does
    • Optimus Meatron
« Reply #28 on: September 23, 2014, 11:52:10 am »
OK just so I don't have to hear the "Go with 6-buttons" anymore, here is that version  :lol

I tried to emulate the oval pattern on the 6-button which is completely different from the classic 3. I can put the button letters inside of the seimitsu smoke buttons for the lettering, or leave it out and try to incorporate that into the CPO.

edekoning

• Offline Offline
« Reply #29 on: September 23, 2014, 12:06:28 pm »
The 6-button controller had smaller buttons for X, Y, Z. So you could use the small 24mm Seimitsu buttons for those, and the regular 30mm ones for A, B, C.

grippie

• Offline Offline
  • Genesis Does
    • Optimus Meatron
« Reply #30 on: September 23, 2014, 12:15:09 pm »
I was actually going to post that too but it's lunchtime and i forgot... I was wondering if that would make playing any games weird or not. I'll copy the smaller ones in there to see. I'd have to play with the spacing but here's an example

Malenko

• KNEEL BEFORE ZODlenko!
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #31 on: September 23, 2014, 12:28:41 pm »
no, use the same sized buttons. Function over form.

grippie

• Offline Offline
  • Genesis Does
    • Optimus Meatron
« Reply #32 on: September 23, 2014, 01:30:05 pm »
no, use the same sized buttons. Function over form.
I agree, after putting them up there I like the first 6 button layout.

ballboff

• Offline Offline
« Reply #33 on: September 24, 2014, 02:57:20 am »
Being from the UK I let out a little tear every time I see the words sega and genesis together. 

edekoning

• Offline Offline
« Reply #34 on: September 24, 2014, 04:35:10 am »
Being from the UK I let out a little tear every time I see the words sega and genesis together.

Mega Drive FTW!

grippie

• Offline Offline
  • Genesis Does
    • Optimus Meatron
« Reply #35 on: September 24, 2014, 10:27:34 am »
haha. To me, Mega Drive is just that thing that the genesis was called across the pond. ;D I do think they got a little lazy when adapting the Mega Drive. I mean there's hardly any color and it's a matte finish. This is a complete anomaly since they usually destroy everything before it reaches the US. Just look at all the failed box art we've had to endure  :dizzy: (Sadly I think EU did too for most of them, while Japan had amazing artwork) All I can say is Strider  :lame:

grippie

• Offline Offline
  • Genesis Does
    • Optimus Meatron
« Reply #36 on: September 24, 2014, 04:49:55 pm »
Alright it's about to get real. I just placed my order with Focus Attack for

4 Seimitsu Smoke 24mm admin buttons
6 Seimitsu Smoke 30mm player buttons
1 Seimitsu LS-32 Joystick with the main round gate (Not sure if i'll like it over square stock, but i'm a big shump fan and there's only one way to find out)

I'm taking off my birthday week (early October) and I plan to do the build then. Hopefully I get the parts in time but since i'm only a few hours away from Focus Attack's store, I think i'll be alright.

i'll keep working on the artwork and tighten up the drawings now.

:soapbox: I am switching to Seimitsu because I have been trying to test with the happ competition buttons and joystick I bought earlier and man do they suck. Playing a platformer, it seems impossible to get the twitch game play i'm looking for. For instance in a platforming game it's generally essential to hit an enemy to the right and then quickly turn and duck to go after guys coming up from the rear. (contra, shinobi, strider, rastan etc) The competition doesn't work at all for this. and forget about playing 1941 unless you want to just zig zag all over in sharp jerky angles.

mgb

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 21, 2024, 06:18:13 pm
  • North East, US
« Reply #37 on: September 24, 2014, 05:24:18 pm »
I like where this project is going.
I was a total Genesis guy in the 90s.
I missed many days of school and work in order to play Road Rash, Shadow of the Beast and The Imortal.

Just remember, no Genesis artwork is complete without "High Definition Graphics"
Man, Sega was ahead of their time (in buzzwords anyway)

grippie

• Offline Offline
  • Genesis Does
    • Optimus Meatron
« Reply #38 on: September 24, 2014, 10:00:43 pm »
Quote from: mgb link=topic=141069.msg1465272#msg1465272
Just remember, no Genesis artwork is complete without "High Definition Graphics"
Man, Sega was ahead of their time (in buzzwords anyway)
Love it! I thought about putting that on the marquee or sidepanels.   Pics coming soon.   

AzureKnight

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 29, 2022, 12:22:17 am
« Reply #39 on: September 25, 2014, 10:30:07 am »

You CP art is very well done.  You did a great job of capturing the look and feel of the SEGA Genesis.