Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Ramp & Roll, skeeball arcade game - get your free copy today!  (Read 58192 times)

keilmillerjr

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 06, 2023, 10:20:39 pm
  • Web Developer.
Re: Skee-ball homebrew game using trackball for download
« Reply #40 on: October 29, 2014, 10:44:58 pm »
Definitely use RandyT's graphic for your game. It looks amazing. :cheers: You could even incorporate the graphic and colors into the background of the game.

eds1275

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 16, 2024, 05:26:18 pm
  • Rock and Roll!
« Reply #41 on: November 26, 2014, 02:38:44 pm »
Well, after much debate I have decided to steal use Randy's design and name for my game. Also, I have just had a private session with a programmer who showed me like 10 different ways to solve the problem I was having with my code, and if I can remember any of it I should have something working in a few days!

eds1275

• Offline Offline
  • Rock and Roll!
« Reply #42 on: November 27, 2014, 12:25:03 am »
Well! I got sick of Battlefield 4 and jumped into this. Spent a few hours hacking up my old code to include the new... and here is the newest release. Same old controls obviously, slightly tweaked but I think things are good now. 4 players, added a player number splash between turns, worked in some more audio code that has no audio attached to it yet.

The high score page at the end is even more broken than it was before! So forgive that until I deal with it. In the meantime I have a drum recording session on Saturday, I'll lay down lots of guitars on Sunday, and get more voices recorded Sunday night.

*Updated again this morning. Fixed some weird scoring issue I had created and then sometimes it wouldn't update which player it was. Also updates when a new round starts so that the board isn't left showing the last player's score and number, even though you could barely see it. Playing with the timing of things like the screen splash to make it flow a little better. Pacing is everything.

**Outdated link removed

4 players!

Splashy!

I also want to change the ball's colour, giving each player something different. As usual, anything I haven't mentioned please bring to my attention!

**another edit**
I discovered another but where the game over screen appears a round early. It's on the list!

eds1275

• Offline Offline
  • Rock and Roll!
« Reply #43 on: November 30, 2014, 04:47:39 am »
So I had a drummer in the studio this morning. I've worked with him in the past for a few commercials but he as a baby now and I haven't seen him much in the last year or so. His name is Scott and he was definitely on his A game today. One of the songs was done on the first take. Another was one take until he missed the last note, so we did a quick punch and was done. The third song wasn't so smooth. After a few failed attempts I grabbed the magic studio wand (a large safety orange plastic rod) and signaled the changes for him. We got 3 out of 4 tracks recorded with drums. I will likely get a different drummer in for the last track just for some variety. After the guys left (we also had a film crew in) I laid down some guitar tracks on one of the tunes. They sound way better than the scratch tracks I had in game before, I can hardly wait to mix them and put them in!

One thing I did appear to reduce even further was the number of balls that roll back after throwing. It's not 100% yet but it's getting there. I have not put this new version up yet though because the textures are all weird after I did it, and I am waiting on the art files from Randy because of course I took his name and the whole project will be rebranded! I figure I will wait until I have that done before I re-render all the lighting because it takes a long time to do so.

I slapped together a Facebook page for it if you are into that kind of thing, but if you are please don't post a download link for the demos. I will do so when I'm ready.

Barry, one of the camera guys doing a run around of the drums. We had 14 mics up or so.

Here's me wiping dust off some isolation headphones... Barry was sitting in the room with the drums

Setting up some more cameras. I was impressed Scott could drum with all the cameras pointed at him.

eds1275

• Offline Offline
  • Rock and Roll!
Re: Ramp & Roll, homebrew skeeball simulator in the style of WCB/Shuffleshot!
« Reply #44 on: December 16, 2014, 03:13:46 pm »
Well Randy and I have been in touch about the rebranding and once I have time the art will go through a major overhaul. I have a few hours on the boat this week where I can sip coffee and do some programming. Until then, here's a short video of the drum recording session!

RPO R6V

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 28, 2019, 02:17:34 pm
« Reply #45 on: December 20, 2014, 01:01:24 pm »
I must be doing something wrong.  I can start a game, but I can't get a ball to roll up the ramp no matter how I spin my trackball or which button or joystick I press or move.  Also, in the menu for key mapping, when I double-click on a selection to try to change its mapping, nothing happens.  Any ideas?

Le Chuck

• Saint, make a poll!
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 14, 2024, 06:07:15 pm
  • <insert personal text here>
« Reply #46 on: December 20, 2014, 02:45:12 pm »
Love the vid, awesome stuff.  Tracks sound sweet too, love the funk. 

eds1275

• Offline Offline
  • Rock and Roll!
« Reply #47 on: December 20, 2014, 09:15:15 pm »
I must be doing something wrong.  I can start a game, but I can't get a ball to roll up the ramp no matter how I spin my trackball or which button or joystick I press or move.  Also, in the menu for key mapping, when I double-click on a selection to try to change its mapping, nothing happens.  Any ideas?

Well, there are a few things that might cause these problems.

If you can move the ball but there's not enough power, press P and up the sensitivity of the Y axis. You want it to be sort of capable of flying up and hitting the top cage but only at full speed.

If you can't move the ball, perhaps your trackball isn't set up as a mouse and is instead put on an encoder or something? Currently the game is set up to work with mouse input for movement.

If your buttons are on a keyboard encoder then they should work. I will add gamepad encoder input to the list of things to add to the game, and maybe over the xmas holidays implement it. Shouldn't be too difficult!

If you can't change the keyboard inputs with a keyboard... I dunno.

I have a new version to upload tomorrow afternoon with some new fixes I added the other day. If it isn't too much work I will add gamepad input as well! We'll see how much free time I end up with!

RPO R6V

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 28, 2019, 02:17:34 pm
« Reply #48 on: December 21, 2014, 10:02:40 am »
Thanks for the reply! I'm using an old SlikStik control panel with trackball so I don't think it uses an encoder (?) but I can't move the ball whatsoever.

eds1275

• Offline Offline
  • Rock and Roll!
« Reply #49 on: December 21, 2014, 07:58:41 pm »
Hmmmmmm. Well I haven't had any time to work on it today, but I will much around with it and hopefully come up with a working solution for you over the holidays!

Locke141

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 03, 2024, 06:00:00 am
  • Never grow up.
« Reply #50 on: December 23, 2014, 10:57:05 pm »

How about a variant like Coney Bowl?  :dunno

Scott

+1

eds1275

• Offline Offline
  • Rock and Roll!
« Reply #51 on: December 23, 2014, 11:34:07 pm »

How about a variant like Coney Bowl?  :dunno

Scott

+1

A little late to the party! I've already begun integrating the Ramp & Roll logo into the game! Aspect ratio is little skewed but I've gotten a great start so far.

eds1275

• Offline Offline
  • Rock and Roll!
« Reply #52 on: January 12, 2015, 01:15:56 pm »
Ha! I was working on the audio a bit and kept making mistakes. I had my camera handy so set it up and slapped together another little vid.

I have been working on some of the nitty gritty timing issues with the game. I want the pacing to be perfect. I cut user control in a few more places during the game, mostly when there is text over the screen for example when it is a new player's turn and there is a banner over most of the screen. I've got some more coding to do today, and want to change the way the machine looks again, I tried adding the logo on the sides and it really isn't looking how I'd hoped. That's fine shouldn't take me too long to do.

I'm uploading a new version now, so try downloading in an hour or so from this post to check out the new features. Here is the download link:

**Outdated link removed

Very exciting news, I also added joystick support for those that have a gamepad interface that were having issues. I havent tested it yet, but let me know!

www.facebook.com/rampandroll

**Update Jan14**

I spent most of the morning making up a better ending to the game that shows up to 4 player's scores. A few more lines of code and it will be ready, and I will update the download link for testing. That will be version .99! Excitement levels are pretty high right now. I just need a few more hours recording and mixing audio and some time changing up the graphics and it will be ready for the first official release!

eds1275

• Offline Offline
  • Rock and Roll!
Download now!
« Reply #53 on: January 31, 2015, 11:59:22 am »
Today is the day! The big 1.0 release that I have been working towards. Unfortunately there are some things that fell out of my control... musicians. For some reason they are often a flaky bunch, and when I asked the bassist to be done before week 3 of January, I actually meant that deadline. She didn't finish the tracks, so they haven't been mixed and are not in the game. I will of course put out a new version when I have the bass lines in and music mixed.

BUT

The show must go on, and I said it would be out end of January. So let me present to you, Ramp and Roll, Version 1.0. This is it, the game, in its entirety. Any further releases will likely not add any further functionality but little things like new music tracks etc. and the occasional bug fix.

Link to download page:

http://permanentrecords.ca/games

It's up! It's live!

bfauska

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 28, 2023, 04:41:45 pm
  • "You're not wrong Walter, you're just an @##hole!"
Re: Ramp & Roll, homebrew skeeball simulator version 1.0 download!
« Reply #54 on: February 01, 2015, 02:11:12 am »
I just got a trackball in trade so I look forward to trying your game once I integrate that into my cab. From the other projects you've shared and the course of this thread I think it should be a great addition to a cab with a trackball.

eds1275

• Offline Offline
  • Rock and Roll!
Re: Ramp & Roll, homebrew skeeball simulator version 1.0 download!
« Reply #55 on: February 01, 2015, 12:41:03 pm »
Thanks! so far the release has been a little slow. I have a contest up on my facebook page right now trying to spread awareness of its existence.

Here's an update I'm not happy with. Bass player said she won't have time to complete the tracks for a long while, and that it's low on her list of priorities. So I have decided to dump her from this and another project of mine (a film) she "might not have time for." Since nobody has even heard the awesome tracks she has put down so far I have decided to just do the bass myself. I know it won't be as good since I think more like  a guitar player than a bassist, but the show must go on and I would really like to be done with this project so I may begin my next. For my next game, I am teaming up with a 13 year old who lives down the street to create a very short horror game named "Angela" based on a short story he wrote. We've got lots of ideas and I am keeping the difficulty in check. Basically you end up walking around a mansion collecting clues, and each time you unlock a piece of the puzzle the story is read. Shouldn't take more than a week to complete, since all the scripting is very easy and can be reused (opening doors, audio, etc)

But the next solo arcade style game I plan on building is Lawn Darts. Probably begin in the spring/summer.

eds1275

• Offline Offline
  • Rock and Roll!
Re: Ramp & Roll, skeeball arcade game - get your copy today!
« Reply #56 on: February 26, 2015, 12:04:46 am »
I recorded the bass lines, and mixed the music today. I added a few more little bug fixes and really played with the audio. It's a lot better than the 1.0 release now! I recommend downloading it and giving it a shot if you haven't already, and if you have this new version is totally worth getting. Download it from my website, www.permanentrecords.ca/games

knightrdrx

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 06, 2020, 10:45:36 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #57 on: February 27, 2015, 06:51:06 am »
 looks good. some bugs after throwing 3 balls. it took 300 mouse clicks to get the sensitivity about right..why increments of .05? and then the ball got stuck on the rim of the 100.

eds1275

• Offline Offline
  • Rock and Roll!
« Reply #58 on: February 27, 2015, 12:12:46 pm »
it took 300 mouse clicks to get the sensitivity about right..why increments of .05?

I tried having a slider control and that wasn't working very well because depending on the controls you are using the sensitivity can vary wildly. For example, on my laptop, with mouse, the sensitivity is at 1.05 and that seems to work pretty good. With the trackpad, it goes to 12. Which is a lot of mouse clicks. On my desktop with mouse, it goes to 2. My trackball has to be around 5. So that is a very large scale and having a slider just wasn't really big enough to let you set it with any sort of accuracy. And of course if you are using a 4:3 screen, it became even smaller. Since this only has to be set once, I thought it was the best way to go.

and then the ball got stuck on the rim of the 100.

Well, that is a very very occasional occurance, and precisely why there's the "dead ball" button. It resets the ball. I think this happens when you either get it right up there in the corners (which is why those pins are there, to try to keep the ball out) or if the ball is going too fast, the 3d meshes might be getting stuck together? If this is the case it's usually a case of the sensitivity being too high.

eds1275

• Offline Offline
  • Rock and Roll!
« Reply #59 on: March 04, 2015, 05:59:32 pm »
I put up a new version today. Unity 5 came out and I played with some of the new features. I also changed the game a little bit by adding just the tiniest amount of bounce to the ball. The new lighting engine is a bit PITA but I finally got it going. Here are some photos to compare,

Before:

and after:

The physically based shading seems quite smooth, at a cost of like 4x the rendering time. Even for a small scene like this it was pretty unbearable.

DarthMarino

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 17, 2024, 08:30:33 am
« Reply #60 on: March 04, 2015, 08:10:40 pm »
Where is the data stored for this game? I erase everything but it keeps my settings. I think the old versions are messing my game up.  As soon as the game starts the ball quickly rolls to the left side and stays there.  I've had this problem before but I can't shake it now.

Edit: It looks like doing the hold Control start eliminates the issue.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2015, 09:24:23 pm by DarthMarino »

DarthMarino

• Offline Offline
« Reply #61 on: March 04, 2015, 09:45:41 pm »
That little bounce has made the game much better. I had no issues getting over the ramp.

A few glitches:
-Ball got stuck on wall behind 50 pt ring
-Ball bounced between the 30 and 40 pt ring infinitely until I pressed ctrl (this happened more than once)
-After a 4 player game, only the scores for players 1 and 2 showed up on the board

eds1275

• Offline Offline
  • Rock and Roll!
« Reply #62 on: March 05, 2015, 10:12:37 am »
Thanks! I'll look into the ball getting stuck. I had it happen once where it just flew up and got impaled on a peg, but it only happened the once and I thought it was just an isolated incident. I think the new version doesn't handle collisions the same and I just need to wrap my head around it.

eds1275

• Offline Offline
  • Rock and Roll!
« Reply #63 on: March 05, 2015, 10:13:43 am »
Wow thanks whoever stickied this!

So I added a few invisible spheres and boxes to prevent the ball landing somewhere it may get stuck. I played several full, solo 4 player games and didn't have a single issue. So hopefully that clears it up for everyone!

The scoreboard is fixed, but the fact that it was broken sort of confuses me. I upgraded from unity 4.6 to the new 5, and sure I expected some problems. But the scoreboard actually had errors in the code that I'm pretty sure weren't there before - like, it reverted to an older version somehow. Either way it was a really easy fix but I hope there aren't other problems like that elsewhere.

The final change I did was something I had planned to do a long time ago. I changed the ball counter on the scoreboard to show balls remaining instead of the current ball number as the game logic sees it. Not a big deal and many people likely won't even notice - but when it says zero, that means you are on the last ball, because there's none left! I hope that makes sense!

It's uploading now so hopefully it will be done in about 30 minutes (I upload 3 versions at once).

**edit it is up!
Here are some new screenshots!

DarthMarino

• Offline Offline
« Reply #64 on: March 05, 2015, 11:44:21 pm »
I played with it for a while.  I had no more issues with the ball getting stuck on the wall behind the 50 pt ring.  One time it did get stuck between 30 and 40. It was a direct shot that landed right in between the rings.

eds1275

• Offline Offline
  • Rock and Roll!
« Reply #65 on: March 20, 2015, 12:49:08 pm »
OK! Here is the newest version:

www.permanentrecords.ca/games

I have made a few changes, and hopefully fixed that glitch where the ball would get stuck (happened to me a few times as well.) I fixed the bug where the deadball button would skip over a player, now it goes to the next one as intended. I also made a start on my next game, Head's Up! which is a lawn darts game, similar style to this one but will have more features as I am getting better as a programmer. The third pic is in-game footage, and I've barely made a start on it... should look really good!

eds1275

• Offline Offline
  • Rock and Roll!
Re: Ramp & Roll, skeeball arcade game - get your free copy today!
« Reply #66 on: April 10, 2015, 05:15:04 pm »
Last update for R&R I think. I could keep tweaking it forever but unless there's some bugs or something, I'm going to call it done! Whew! It was a lot of fun working on that, and now I'm 90% done my similar arcade basketball game. After that comes my lawn darts game which is so far the best looking of the bunch. That one shouldn't take me too long. I finally think I have what it takes to complete VOA if anyone remembers that project. And after that I was thinking of making a lightgun game... lots of good and bad ideas for that :P

I'm uploading the newest versions of Ramp and Roll now. Should be ready to download in about an hour. It adds 2 new features:

1) a setup menu that doesn't suck. Changing/comparing sensitivities is much easier now that it includes a slider system.
2) when you are ready to throw the ball, it behaves more like in world class bowling: the ball doesn't keep rolling around after you stop "touching" it.

can be grabbed from www.permanentrecords.ca/games

DGP

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 29, 2019, 05:25:09 pm
  • Gamer4Life
    • My Toys...
« Reply #67 on: August 08, 2015, 12:49:44 am »
I know there has not been any posts since April but I just came across this and would like to have it running on my multi-cade but I cannot access the settings (by holding ALT). I can start the game and access the service menu with P but nothing happens when I hold ALT. I am using an X-arcade KB encoder so the trackball is a mouse but nothing happens by default other than the arrow to select the number of players.

I would gladly make a donation if the game was functional since we are big skeeball fans, one of my wife's favorites.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
Multi-Cade x2 (full size and bar top) / 3 screen Virtual Pin

eds1275

• Offline Offline
  • Rock and Roll!
« Reply #68 on: August 08, 2015, 12:47:27 pm »
Immediately after double clicking the executable, hold alt before anything loads. That should bring up the menu. I'll download the version that's up and try it out just to make sure. I don't have a mac, but am trying the 32 and 64 bit windows versions since you didn't specify.

Also whoever stickied this, thanks!

*I tried and both of them work just fine. If you can't get it to work, I don't know what to tell you... maybe try using a different keyboard?

DGP

• Offline Offline
  • Gamer4Life
    • My Toys...
« Reply #69 on: August 08, 2015, 07:40:52 pm »
Thank you for the quick response.

I was able to access the menu by holding ALT immediately after the .exe double click but my trackball is not recognized for gameplay.  :dunno

I can move the arrow for number of players on the main screen but once the game starts nothing happens when I roll the trackball.

It looks great and the audio rocks, just can't play it.  :banghead:

Thanks again.

eds1275

• Offline Offline
  • Rock and Roll!
« Reply #70 on: August 08, 2015, 09:23:39 pm »
The controls in the setup menu have a space for Horizontal and Vertical, however those are only there if your trackball is seen as a game device and not mouse. Mouse is enabled and not available to deselect. Therefore, if your mouse controls the cursor on the menu it will work in the game. Set your controls in the setup menu for all the buttons. The slow-mo is stupid - was a good idea but I didn't implement it from the start and therefore isn't all it could have been if I had. Load the game, press P or whatever you had for the service menu, and increase the sensitivity for both horizontal and vertical. My mouse requires them to be around 3.5, and my trackball around 5 (ultimarc U Trak) then press the save button in the lower left.After a few moments it will reload the title screen. Insert some quarters, and give it a go. Keep on adjusting until a hard throw hits the back wall. I like my horizontal setting to be a little lower than vertical.

Make sure you press the save button! If that still doesn't work, verify that when you load the service mode screen that it is indeed set to where you last saved it.

DGP

• Offline Offline
  • Gamer4Life
    • My Toys...
« Reply #71 on: August 09, 2015, 06:42:20 pm »
Thanks again will try that later and see if I can get it going.
 :cheers:

waldo89

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 06, 2020, 11:39:55 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #72 on: April 17, 2020, 01:24:28 pm »
Great Job here! Thanks for sharing

eds1275

• Offline Offline
  • Rock and Roll!
« Reply #73 on: April 20, 2020, 11:38:33 am »
Great Job here! Thanks for sharing

No problem! I recently finished a computer programming course and am working on another game currently. After that one, which seems to be coming together fairly well, I'm going to revisit Ramp and Roll because I lost all the data for it except for something about 3/4 of the way through programming. I think I am much better at programming so it should run smoother, and I can now do things I had ideas for but never the skill to do. Should be a nice upgrade and I was never 100% satisfied with it. Although as far as trackball games go, this is better than World Class Bowling and not as good as Shuffleshot. I think it could definitely improve!

Once I have enough of a game running on the Lawn Darts I will make a separate thread for it.

classicjoe72

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 11, 2022, 11:23:40 am
  • I want to build a Fix-It-Felix Jr.!
« Reply #74 on: April 27, 2022, 08:59:05 am »
I love skeeball!  I'm going to check this out. Thanks!

eds1275

• Offline Offline
  • Rock and Roll!
« Reply #75 on: April 28, 2022, 09:27:02 am »
Thanks! It's been a while since anything happened with this. I had a major computer crash and lost all of the game data, save for a backup that was about 2/3rds the way into programming it. I may revisit it at some point, as well as the other games I have half finished. I have come to the conclusion that working alone is frustrating; working with a team is what drove me to working alone. The code for this game is pretty sloppy, and I have been doing more computer courses through the years - I could likely do a better job now, but I have little energy these days (had reactions to some cancer treatments that have left me exhausted through all my waking hours.)

It's a fun game! I prefer it to world class bowling but it isn't as good as shuffleshot or golden tee. I have so many ideas! If only I could stay awake!