Main > Software Forum

Ramp & Roll, skeeball arcade game - get your free copy today!

(1/16) > >>

eds1275:
*****Here's where you can download the game. I left the rest of the thread intact for anyone interested in reliving the journey. Unfortunately I lost both the build of the game and the backup I had of it so there will be no more updates  :'(

My website:
www.permanentrecords.ca/games

And the Facebook page. I'm trying to spread the word about this game because I am really proud of it, and when combined with a few friends and a few drinks, it is a whole lot of fun. So the more you like and share it, the more it helps me do that.
www.facebook.com/rampandroll

If this is in the wrong forum, someone let me know. I wasn't sure if this qualifies as a "project announcement!"
   I didn't want to post anything until I had something to show and download. In fact I think the only forum member that knows about this is WellFedGames. If you were following my game build VOA, forgive me. I haven't given up on it but some of it is over my head and I needed an easier project to run through first. Specifically something without AI. My modelling skills have improved and I have remade every object for voa since last update and it looks fantastic! I am however having problems making the puppies have any sort of personality. Hopefully this skeeball sim will be a nice stepping stone for me to work on my programming skills.

Here it is, in the same style as world class bowling and shuffleshot - 3d skeeball. Except it can't be called skeeball, because they sue! Literally. Google Brewski Ball for details on that... So help me name it, any and all names considered. My wife suggested Whee!Ball but That still sounds like trouble. Though I doubt even if I called it Skee Ball there would be trouble, I really don’t want to have the hassle if it ever does come up.

The programs I used to create this are:
Blender for modelling and texturing
Gimp for making said textures
Unity for the game engine with Nvidia's PhysX for handling gravity
Internet for the carpet texture! I tried to make my own but I couldn't beat this one

Here is a basic version of skeeball that lets you chuck balls and it tallies the score. I can view the score being tallied (and it works!) but there is no visual representation implemented yet. It counts the balls you throw as well - but you can throw infinite balls at this stage. When you throw a ball and it goes into the goal, it shows the score box for a few seconds... but there's nothing there yet! Also, the audio manager is working but there are no sounds yet. I'll zip something up in the next few days (it's the weekend!) and post another version. Next Saturday I have a group of people coming in to the studio to record some voice over things so I have some stuff for this as well for them to lay down in the style of the Shuffleshot heckling.

As it is, the sensitivity for the mouse works great for my laptop and mouse(not the little trackpad, but an actual mouse.) There is no way to change it on this version, so I hope it works out for you. It will be added to the menu when I get to that. For controls, you have:
Left view
Top view
Right View
Score View
Slow-Motion
Exit Game

Score view can be pushed at any time, however the others can only be pushed after the ball is in motion. Set these up before you play! In the actual version you will be able to change these controls in the service menu.

I will have some audio up by the end of the weekend!

What's next?

Improved audio including ball rolling/sliding/falling sounds
Better lighting for suresies
Multiplayer
Start menu that accepts coins
Service menu for options and coinage controls
High score list

That will be the next release. It is a big one, but lots of little, easy to implement features so not too far off.

After that I want to add some different game modes. I'm off to a decent start.

I look forward to ideas and suggestions! So far the only glitches I can find is the ball hitting the net and then slowly letting go.

eds1275:
Also this is my first time posting a download link to my dropbox, so let me know if it didn't work for some reason!

The above picture is a render, and not an in-game. Here are a few in game screens in 4:3 from my office computer. I can see that one of the wood textures ended up getting misaligned, will add that to the list of things to fix!

PL1:
Good news: Download works and game runs.   ;D

Nice variety of monitor resolutions, BTW.

Not-so-good-news: Only able to get one shot out of dozens to actually make it over the ramp.   :angry:

Any chance of adding sensitivity settings?

Scott
EDIT: NVM, just re-read OP.

Works well with the mouse on the pin controller, but the shooter rebounds so fast that it messes up.   :lol

Got caught in the net several times -- rolled out of the right side, but not from the left.

Also wondering why no gutterball action if you clear the ramp, but are outside the outermost scoring ring?

eds1275:
Yeah that needs to be addressed. Im at work now and can only get the ball over the hump by shooting down the long way of my mouse pad. I hope to have at least a basic menu set up soon so that this can be addressed. Perhaps try playing at a higher resolution - I seem to be able to throw with more power the higher I go.

PL1:

--- Quote from: eds1275 on August 23, 2014, 04:25:42 am ---Yeah that needs to be addressed. Im at work now and can only get the ball over the hump by shooting down the long way of my mouse pad. I hope to have at least a basic menu set up soon so that this can be addressed. Perhaps try playing at a higher resolution - I seem to be able to throw with more power the higher I go.

--- End quote ---
Tried several resolutions, but it seems to throw the same.

See edit above for several more notes.

Scott

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version