Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Which Emulators do you use - 6 button cabinet?  (Read 3563 times)

bclinton

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 12, 2014, 02:53:00 pm
Which Emulators do you use - 6 button cabinet?
« on: August 13, 2014, 01:12:34 pm »
Hi all - was curious as to which emulators you guys that have cabs with 6 button configs use? Right now I have Mame and Daphne. I wanted to add more but only the ones that are cab friendly with 6 buttons.

Thanks!

yotsuya

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 12:03:57 am
  • 2014 UCA Winner, 2014, 2015, 2016 ZapCon Winner
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,137636.msg1420628.html
Re: Which Emulators do you use - 6 button cabinet?
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2014, 01:32:21 pm »
MAME and Daphne. I've come to realize that no matter how hard I wanted it to work, console games really need to be played with console controllers.
***Build what you dig, bro. Build what you dig.***

bclinton

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2014, 02:34:59 pm »
MAME and Daphne. I've come to realize that no matter how hard I wanted it to work, console games really need to be played with console controllers.

Thanks. I figured the only other console that might work well would be a 1 or 2 button older like the Atari 800.

DaOld Man

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 13, 2023, 12:03:14 am
  • Wheres my coffee?
    • Skenny's Outpost
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2014, 09:58:23 am »
On A Little Rage, I installed usb ports on the front.
I bought two of those Nintendo control pads that plug into the usb port of a PC. (ebay)
These controllers look and feel just like the old Nintendo controllers.
My grand daughter can plug in a controller and play old Nintendo games with it on A Little Rage.
I had to get a little fancy with it though, I wrote a program that runs when the Nintendo emul is selected in mala. if the program sees the Nintendo controller plugged into the usb port, it rewrites the Nintendo emul settings to match the controller settings, if it doesn't see it, it writes the settings to use control panel joystick and buttons.
This is really not necessary, you could have the emul only work with the controller, but I wanted it automatic, since my g-daughter was only 3 at the time I gave her the cab.

bclinton

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2014, 10:08:27 am »
On A Little Rage, I installed usb ports on the front.
I bought two of those Nintendo control pads that plug into the usb port of a PC. (ebay)
These controllers look and feel just like the old Nintendo controllers.
My grand daughter can plug in a controller and play old Nintendo games with it on A Little Rage.
I had to get a little fancy with it though, I wrote a program that runs when the Nintendo emul is selected in mala. if the program sees the Nintendo controller plugged into the usb port, it rewrites the Nintendo emul settings to match the controller settings, if it doesn't see it, it writes the settings to use control panel joystick and buttons.
This is really not necessary, you could have the emul only work with the controller, but I wanted it automatic, since my g-daughter was only 3 at the time I gave her the cab.

Interesting...I may try that. Never thought of placing a USB port up front. Good idea!

thomas_surles

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 19, 2023, 07:20:00 pm
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2014, 11:06:18 pm »
Sub ports are great. It gives you more options like pc games that support 360 pads. Also eBay sells sub n64 controllers for $15 each. I own two and they are perfect for n64.

As for the 6 button layout,
Sega dreamcast -has some good games that work perfect with a control panel. (A few games don't work well, but most do)

Atari lynx- works great

Nes- works great for me, though others would rather use the controller

Snes- works fine but a lot of games would be better off with a controller (super Mario, donkey Kong country)

Sega genesis- good for the most part

Sega master system- good

Sega game gear- good

Game boy/color/advance- good

Ps1- works for some games, but a no from me

Atari2600- good

Virtual boy- good

Sega CD- good for the few games that I have for it

Neogeo pocket- good

mike boss

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 22, 2021, 01:19:45 pm
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2014, 05:39:35 pm »
Friend of mine built a nice MAME machine with Hyperspin and console emulation.
For the console emulation he uses USB joysticks to match the emulator (as mentioned above).
So for NES he has the USB NES gamepad, for SNES he has the USB SNES gamepad, and for N64 he has the N64 to USB adapter. He was of the opinion that console games could not be played well with arcade controls.
For myself on my MAME machine I've found that any console game 3 buttons and under work well.
But I do like the idea of the matching USB pads.

One tip if I may suggest, for my MAME machine, that does have console emulation with a mix of gamepads and arcade controls I have printed out 5" x 7" instruction cards that indicate what buttons used.
For example I have a 6 button layout, 3 over 3, and 3 extra buttons (POWER, CREDIT, ESC), I just indicate on the print out what does what. So button 1 is A for Nintendo, button 2 is B, button 6 select, etc.

Hope that kinda helps.............

haynor666

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 03:17:30 am
  • retro maniac
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2014, 03:31:21 am »
I set only mame, taito type x games, daphne and nes (only because I hate video output in original NES and famicom version with better sound). Consoles and computers I prefer real hardware.