Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: N00b looking for help with new project  (Read 981 times)

superjollymac

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 10, 2015, 09:26:31 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
N00b looking for help with new project
« on: August 06, 2014, 08:59:21 am »
Nice to meet you all.  I've been a lurker for awhile while waiting for my account to get approved and have been searching various sites for ideas.  I think I may be on my way to actually starting, but I had a question about the CPU.  I want to build this from scratch if possible and make it portable so I can unplug it from my cabinet and maybe take it somewhere else with me with a controller.  Any suggestions / warnings about a build?

I've been looking into the mini-itx towers/mother boards.  I'm trying to figure out if I can make it light / small enough for portability without sacrificing too much power.  I want to be able to play all mame / other system emulators as well.  My desktop build for PC gaming /HD movies came out to over $1000, but that was over 2, 3 years ago. If I'm going to be spending around that amount for the arcade PC I'm thinking I may just go with a full sized motherboard instead of the mini.  My goal is around $500, but I think I'd be willing to spend more if needed.

Thanks for any help you can give me!  I apologize if I'm asking this in the wrong location.

Le Chuck

• Saint, make a poll!
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 14, 2024, 06:07:15 pm
  • <insert personal text here>
Re: N00b looking for help with new project
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2014, 09:18:04 am »
You're going to need to be more specific about your gaming expectations for the best advice.  If "all mame" means the full set including all working CHDs and "other emus" includes dolphin/demul stuff then you're going to need a powerhouse. 

If it means everything up to the SFIIs and lower than N64 you can likely get by with a hacked netbook and go ultra portable. 

superjollymac

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 10, 2015, 09:26:31 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Re: N00b looking for help with new project
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2014, 10:17:44 am »
Thanks for the response.  I think I want to go at least as far as dreamcast age.  My ultimate goal is to be able to make it a fighting / shooting / rhythm game rig.  I'm just trying to make the box around console sized if I can.  Maybe something like a steambox is what I'm looking into right now.